TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions

The following extract from the New York Daily Times of 1854

Wreck of the Steamer City of Philadelphia

On the 24th of September, only three days before the Arctic disaster, the steamer City of Philadelphia was wrecked only a few miles from the spot where the Arctic met her fate. In connection with her destruction, the following narrative from a passenger on the Philadelphia steamer will be read with interest:
Narrative of Mr. J.W. GADSBY.
The City of Philadelphia sailed from Liverpool on her first trip for Philadelphia, favored by wind and tide, at noon, on Wednesday, the 29th of August. The day was fine, and scarcely an individual of 600 passengers but appeared as happy as though bound upon some pleasure excursion, rather than as, in most cases, leaving home and country to seek shelter and subsistence in another land. The day following our embarkation we took a last look at the dim cliffs of Old England, and turned our faces towards our Western haven. For six days we were favored with fine weather, clear skies and smooth seas, and everything bid fair for a prosperous voyage. Our ship sailed and steamed right gallantly along, and we enjoyed all the pleasure, with none of the usual discomforts, of an Atlantic voyage.

But I could not help observing that, amid the general hilarity, our commander, though prompt and unceasing in his attention to his onerous duties, was evidently troubled about some matter of grave moment. He rarely retired to his stateroom, even for an hour’s repose, but paced the deck night and day, ever and anon peering into the compass boxes, and then consulting with his officers. At length I closely examined those objects of his particular solicitude, the compasses. We had six of them on board, all of which, it is said, were duly adjusted in Glasgow and Liverpool, but I discovered that no two of them agreed; some of them varied between five and six points, and the two steering compasses in the wheel-house differed from a point to a point and a half.

This sad state of things was undoubtedly to be attributed to the person pretending to regulate the compasses, for in my opinion, with properly isolated compasses, an iron vessel is as easily worked as would be one of wood. On the morning of the 24th of September a heavy rain began to fall, and the atmosphere became so densely clouded that no observation could be taken that day. The same kind of weather prevailed throughout the next day, and again no observation was practicable, [sic] About 4 o’clock in the afternoon, if I recollect aright, on casting the log, the steamer was said to be making 12 knots an hour.

About 11 ½ P.M., when nearly all the passengers were in their berths, and the ship was going at the rate of over ten knots an hour, she ran against a sunken rock, with a frightful concussion. Instantly the ship was alive; from every hatchway the passengers–men, women and children–poured over the deck, in the wildest confusion and distress, and many of them in an almost primitive state of nudity, rending the air with their shrieks, and manifesting every symptom of mortal terror.

Now the seamanship of our Captain, and the discipline of the crew came into requisition. The engines were reversed, and on taking soundings it was found that the ship was in deep water on both sides, and that she had struck a rock on the port side near the cutwater. A man was stationed at the well to see how fast the water gained, while the carpenter and his crew, with oakum and blankets, sought to stop the hole. But the latter was found to be impossible, as the orifice was some six feet long by four broad, through which the water poured in a cataract, soon filling the forward compartment of the hold to the water-line.

It was ascertained that the point upon which the vessel had struck was off Cape Race, so having taken in all sail, the steamer was backed off and headed for Chance Cove, about 7 ½ miles to the northward. This Cove she reached, however. She had hardly got into shallow water ere the second compartment was flooded and the fires extinguished. During all this time the sea was calm as a mirror, but the fog was so dense that objects could not be distinguished a ship’s length distant. Boats were launched and a party sent to survey the beach: they reported it good, with a fine sandy bottom, whereupon the vessel was run aground as far up as possible, and but about three quarters of a mile from the shore, and the anchors let go.

The boats were then hoisted out, and the passengers having by this time mostly come to something like their senses, the work of getting them ashore was commenced. The ladies and children were first debarked, and after them the male passengers. During the performance of this arduous duty, the utmost care was taken to prevent accident, by keeping in check he excited crowd, who would otherwise have rushed into the boats and swamped them. Fortunately but little surf was on at the time, so that the whole of the passengers were got on shore by 4 ½ A.M., without the slightest accident.

The shelter and provision for so large a number of people thus thrown upon a desolate shore, some sixty miles from the nearest village or town, was the next consideration. Spars, sails, provisions and fuel were sent ashore, tents rigged, fires lighted, food cooked, and everything possible under the circumstances was done for the comfort of the castaways. By night, mattresses and bedding enough for the ladies were got ashore; for the men large fires and close quarters had to suffice.

Qn [sic] the next day most of the passengers’ luggage was got out and conveyed ashore; but in doing this some confusion occurred, from the fact that a part of the crew broke open some of the trunks and abstracted their most valuable contents. These fellows were arrested and put in irons.

On the day following the beaching of the steamer, the wreck was surrounded by a fleet of fishing smacks, the crews of every one of which watched every opportunity to steal property, and I am informed that they did carry off considerable. Some few of the more audacious got broken heads, and a treat to some scalding soup, from the cook and his crew, for their pains.

A large quantity of the ship’s plate, as also many valuables belonging to the passengers, were subsequently found in the forecastle of the steamer where they had been secreted by some of the delinquent crew.

After the effects of the passengers had been got safely ashore, the work of breaking out the cargo commenced, but this was necessarily slow work, as most of it was submerged in water.
On Saturday a small mail steamer named the Victoria, which was plying between the different posts of the Telegraph Company with provisions, &c., hove in sight, and, being signalized by Capt. LEITCH, hove to, when she was boarded, and an agreement made for the transfer of the passengers to St. Johns at $5 per head. That night 250 of them embarked on her, and the remainder on the day following. The luggage was sent after them, to the same place, in schooners.
The passengers on arriving at St. Johns, N.F., were provided with the best accommodations the town afforded, the company incurring the expense of their maintenance, and the towns people demanding double price for every necessary. It was announced that the company would provide for the passengers, as speedily as possible, suitable conveyance to Philadelphia, and that until that time the expense of their keep would be borne by them; also that to such as chose to proceed earlier, their expenses would be defrayed to Halifax; 125, among whom was myself, accepted the latter proposition, and came on in the mail steamer Merlin. The residue preferred to remain for the promised conveyance to Philadelphia.

New York Daily Times Oct 23, 1854. p. 1

Arrival of Passengers and Cargo of the
City of Philadelphia

PHILADELPHIA, Saturday, Oct. 21
The British propeller Osprey, with goods from the wreck of the City of Philadelphia, has passed Cape May this morning, bound here.

The American steamer Osprey, with passengers, passed Wilmington Creek at 10 o'clock this morning.

The steamer Keystone State, from Savannah, arrived this morning reports : Passed in the Savannah River barks Maria Norton, of New York, and Ellen, of Liverpool, bound up. Off Frying Pan Shoals passed bark Sarah, bound south. On Thursday night passed a steamship, supposed to be the Alabama.

The Osprey brings 165 of the passengers of the City of Philadelphia, and will return almost immediately to St. John's for the balance. She also brought 14 of the Arctic's crew and a few if the saved passengers, whose names have been given before.

She also has on board the metallic life-boat belonging to the Arctic, which was taken to St. John's by the surviving passengers.

Mr. GEIB, the purser of the Arctic, was landed at Holmes' Hole, from the Osprey, on Thursday.


TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-present
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: July 02, 2005 and maintained by and M. Kohli