FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - D

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

DAHOME / LAWING / KAISSERI / ERITREA 1890
2,470 gross tons, length 300.6ft x beam 41ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 11 knots. Accommodation for 40-1st and 20-2nd class passengers. Built by C.S.Swan & Hunter, Wallsend-on-Tyne (engines by Wallsend Slipway Co Ltd), she was launched for German owners (Kingsin) as the LAWANG on 27th Nov.1890. Purchased by Cie de Navigation Mixte of Marseilles in 1895, she was renamed DAHOME and used for their West Africa service. Sold to Furness Withy in May 1898, she started her first voyage from Liverpool to St. John's NF and Halifax on 16th Jul.1898. Sold to Turkey in 1911 and renamed KAISSERI, she was captured on 4th Oct.1911 by the Italian cruiser PUGLIA at Tripoli during the Turko_Italian War. Used as an Italian military transport and renamed ERITREA, she was eventually scrapped in 1923. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1036][Furness Withy by David Burrell] [Sea Breezes magazine, March 1958]

DAMARA 1885
Built for Halifax Steam Nav.Co.1885 and sailed 7/3/1885 Glasgow - Swansea - Halifax - Baltimore - Havre - London. Sold to Furness Line 1886 and sailed London - Halifax - St John NB, 6/5/1886. Continued London or Liverpool - Halifax - St John sailings until foundered off Musquodoboit, NS 7/2/1905.

DAMASCUS / CORINTHIAN 1856
1,213 gross tons, 253ft x 32.0ft, clipper bows, two funnels, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 40-1st and a number of 3rd class passengers.
Built by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, she was launched on 30th Sep.1856 for Cunard's Mediterranean service. On 30th Jul.1860 she made a single round voyage between Liverpool, Halifax and New York and on 25th Oct.1861 was returned to Wm. Denny in part payment for a new ship. Chartered to Allan Line she started the first of two round voyages from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal on 29th Apr.1862 and her first from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 16th Jul.1863. In 1865 she was purchased by Allan Line and commenced her last Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal sailing on 21st Sep.1869. In 1870 she was lengthened to 288.3ft with a tonnage of 1,517 tons, re-engined and funnels reduced to one. Renamed CORINTHIAN she resumed Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal voyages on 13th Sep.1870. Her last voyage on this route started on 29th Oct.1879 and she commenced Glasgow - Boston voyages on 7th May.1880. Her last Boston sailing started on 15th Jun.1881 and she was then sold to Italy and renamed GENOVA. 1883 renamed G. LANZA. 1885 renamed GIUSEPPE GARIBALDI. 1886 sold to Turkey renamed FOULAZI OSMANI. 1901 renamed SAKARIAH. 1912 scrapped.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DAMASCUS 1887
3,609 gross tons, 362ft x 44.2ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 45-1st and 650-3rd class passengers.
Built 1887 by Robert Napier & Sons, Glasgow for the Aberdeen Line, she started her maiden voyage from London to Cape Town, Melbourne and Sydney on 17th Jan.1888. 1890 fitted with electric light. 1896 fitted with refrigerating machinery. 18th Feb.1908 final sailing to Australia. 1909 sold to N. G. Pittaluga, Greece. 1910 scrapped at Genoa. [Merchant Fleets, vol.17 by Duncan Haws]

DANIA / MONTSERRAT 1889
4,076 gross ton ship, built by AG Vulcan, Stettin in 1889 for Hamburg America Line. Her details were - length 370.7ft x beam 44.3ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), steel construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 30-1st and 1,400-3rd class passengers. Launched on 12th Oct.1889, she started her maiden voyage on 16th Dec.1889 when she left Hamburg for Havre and New York. Her last Hamburg - New York voyage started 20th Oct.1895 and she was then sold to Cia Trasatlantica, Barcelona and renamed MONTSERRAT. Used to transport troops during the Cuban rebellion, she returned to Hamburg America Line the following year and resumed her previous name of DANIA. In 1897 she again went to Cia Trasatlantica and became the MONTSERRAT. Converted to a hospital ship, she was used during the Spanish-American War and later refitted as a passenger ship with accommodation for 121-1st, 36-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Her first voyage from Barcelona to Malaga, Cadiz, New York, Havana and Vera Cruz started on 26th Jun.1900 and she continued on this service until starting her last sailing between Vera Cruz, Havana, New York, Cadiz and Barcelona on 27th June 1924. Sold in 1926, she was scrapped at Barcelona the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.396; vol.3,p.1247,1255]

DANIEL STEINMANN / KHEDIVE 1875
was built by Cockerill, Antwerp as the KHEDIVE for A. Smyers & Co, Antwerp in 1875. This was a 1,790 gross ton ship, length 277.5ft x beam 34.5ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Launched in July 1875, she was purchased by the White Cross Line of Antwerp in 1877 and renamed DANIEL STEINMANN. She commenced her first Antwerp - New York voyage on 9th Mar.1877, and on 20th Mar.1884, left Antwerp on her last sailing to Halifax and New York. On 3rd Apr.1884 she sank near Sambro Island, Nova Scotia after striking a rock, with the loss of 123 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.824]

DANMARK 1888 see JAN BREYDEL 1880

DANZIG 1922 see THERAPIA 1901

DARLING DOWNS / CALCUTTA / PORTUGAL
was a originally a barque rigged screw steamer and was one of seven near sister ships built by C.J.Mare & Co, Blackwall for the General Screw Steam Shipping Co and was launched as the CALCUTTA. Her dimensions were - length 258.5ft x beam 40ft and her gross tonnage was given at various times as 2,080, 2,242, 2,428 and 1,715 tons. Her engines were by Maudsley, Sons & Field and she had a designed speed of 9 knots, but actually reached 10.5 knots. The company ran services to the Mediterranean, India, Australia and the USA and the CALCUTTA made a single round voyage between Southampton, Port Phillip and Sydney in 1854. Transferred to the South America service in 1857 and in 1859 was sold to the Anglo-Luso-Brazilian Royal Mail Steam Nav.Co., registered in Portugal and renamed PORTUGAL. Employed on the Milford Haven(later Liverpool) - Lisbon - South America service. Sold in 1861, reverted to her original name of CALCUTTA, her engines were removed and she was re-rigged as a ship(square rigged on each mast). She later became the DARLING DOWNS and on 12th May 1887 was in collision near the Nore lightship and sank. Her owners were Taylor, Sons & Co (formerly Taylor, Bethell & Roberts), London at the time. [Ship "Darling Downs" by J.O.Ramos, Sea breezes Magazine, Oct.1970]

DARMSTADT / KARA DENIZ 1890
Built by Fairfield & Co, Glasgow in 1890, for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was a 5012 gross ton vessel, length 415ft x beam 48ft, one funnel, two masts, steel construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots.  There was accommodation for 49-1st, 38-2nd and 1,904-3rd class passengers. Launched on 27th Sep.1890, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Montevideo and Buenos Aires on 10th Mar.1891 and commenced her first voyage from Bremen to New York on 8th Mar.1892. On 11th Oct.1892 she left Bremen on her first voyage to the Far East via the Suez Canal and on 10th Apr.1895 commenced sailing Bremen - Suez - Australia. On 27th Apr.1905 she commenced her last voyage to the Far East after making 6 round voyages on this service and on 4th Nov.1905 resumed the Bremen - South America service.  On 21st Mar.1906 she left Bremen on her last run to Australia after 16 round voyages, on 24th May 1907 started her last run Bremen - Baltimore, and on 28th Feb.1910 started her last voyage Bremen - New York after making a total of 27 round voyages on the North Atlantic service. She left Bremen for S. America on her last trip on 12th Nov.1910 and in 1911 was sold to a Turkish company and renamed KARA DENIZ. In 1914, on the outbreak of the Great War, she was seized at Bombay and laid up. In 1923 she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p556]

DART 1883
2,641 gross tons, length 320ft x beam 38.4ft x depth 26ft (97.54m x 11.68m x 7.92m), single screw, speed 12 knots. Built 1883 by Raylton, Dixon & Co., Middlesbrough (engines built by T. Richardson & Son, Hartlepool) for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co., London. Entered service on the London - South America service. Her second voyage took her to the West Indies and she then transferred to the New York - St. Thomas - Brazil route. On 11th Sep.1884 she left Santos for Rio de Janeiro but at about 2200 was wrecked on a reef off San Sebastian during a thunderstorm. Passengers were landed by lifeboats at Rio but the officers and crew remained in the ship all night, but abandoned her the following afternoon when she started to break up. Only one man was lost. ["McQueen's Legacy, Ships of the Royal Mail Line, vol.2" by Stuart Nicol ISBN 0-7524-2119-0.]

DECCAN 1868
was a 3128 gross ton ship, length 368.3ft x beam 42.4ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw and a speed of 13 knots. Accommodation for 175-1st and 52-2nd class passengers. Built by Willian Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, she was laid down in 1868 as the MAGDALA, but was purchased by P&O Line while building and was first named LAHORE and then DECCAN. Used on the Suez to Calcutta route, she was fitted with new engines in 1875. In 1879 she made one London - Capetown - Australia voyage and in 1889 was sold to Hajee Cassum Joosub, Bombay for use on the pilgrimage trade to Jeddah. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

DE GRASSE / EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA / VENEZUELA 1924
19,379 gross tons, length 552ft x beam 71.1ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 399-cabin and 410-3rd class passengers. Laid down in 1920 by Cammel Laird & Co, Birkenhead as the SUFFREN for the French Line, she was launched on 23rd Feb.1924 as the DE GRASSE. Towed to St. Nazaire for completion after a strike at Cammel Laird's, she started her maiden voyage on 21st Aug.1924 from Le Havre to New York. In 1940 she was seized by German forces at Bordeaux and used as an accommodation ship in the River Gironde. 1944 sunk by German gunfire in the withdrawal from Bordeaux. 1945 refloated and rebuilt with a single funnel. 12th Jul.1947 first post war voyage Le Havre - New York. 1952 transferred to the West Indies route. 26th Mar.1953 sold to Canadian Pacific to replace the burnt out EMPRESS OF CANADA and renamed EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA. 25th Apr.1953 first voyage Liverpool - Quebec. 12th Dec.1955 last Canadian Pacific voyage. 16th Feb.1956 sold to Sicula Oceanica, Palermo renamed VENEZUELA, used on Naples - La Guaira, Venezuela service. 17th Mar.1962 aground off Cannes, refloated but uneconomical to repair and scrapped at La Spezia. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

DELAWARE 1866
2,200 gross tons, length 324ft x beam 36.3ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots. Built by Isle of Man Shipbuilding Co, she was launched in Aug.1865, chartered to Warren Line and started her first Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston - Philadelphia voyage on 15th Jan.1866. Her last Liverpool - Boston voyage started 28th May 1869 and the service was then withdrawn. The ship was then lengthened to 380ft and transferred to other routes. On 20th Dec.1871 while on passage Liverpool - Calcutta, she was wrecked on the Scilly Isles. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2,p.682 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DELFTDYK / DONGEDYK / TUNG LONG 1929
was a 10,220 gross ton ship, built by Wilton, Schiedam in 1929 for Holland America Line's Rotterdam - Vancouver cargo-passenger service. Her dimensions were length 509ft x beam 65ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14.5 knots. There was accommodation for 30 cabin class passengers. On 10th May 1940 she was bombed off Flushing, and again at Peterhead in Sept.1941 which put her out of service for a year. In Jan.1950 she was damaged by a mine at the mouth of the Weser, was rebuilt with new engines, funnel, bridge and bows, and renamed DONGEDYK. She resumed service to Vancouver in 1952 and in June 1966 was sold to Toshin Trading Co, Kobe, renamed TUNG LONG for a voyage to Kaohsiung, where she was broken up. Her sister ships were DAMSTERDYK and DALERDYK [Holland America Line by Peter C.Kohler]

DELTA / TAKASAGO MARU / CENTENNIAL 1859
was 1618 gross tons, length 324ft x beam 35ft, clipper bows, two funnels, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, side paddle wheel propulsion, speed 10 knots. Accommodation for 176 passengers. Built 1859 by Thames Iron Shipbuilding Co, Blackwall, she started her maiden voyage on 12th Oct.1859 when she left Southampton for Gibraltar, Malta and Alexandria. On 17th Oct.1869 she was present at the opening of the Suez Canal and joined the first convoy as far as Lake Timsah. Sold to Japan in 1874 and renamed TAKASAGO MARU, and resold to US owners in 1879 for use in the Gold Rush trades along the Californian and Alaska coasts - renamed CENTENNIAL. In 1903 she was used as a cargo ship in the Russo-Japanese war, and in 1906 went missing on a voyage from Muroran to San Francisco. A Russian Arctic Expedition reported sighting her locked in ice deep in the centre of a vast icefield north of Saghalion, seven years later in 1913, but she was never seen again.

DEMARARA 1911
11,484 gross tons, length 500.7ft x beam 62.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 98-1st, 38-2nd and 800-steerage class passengers. Launched on 21st Dec.1911 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co, and delivered 8th Aug.1912 for the Liverpool - River Plate service. 1st Jul.1917 torpedoed off La Rochelle but reached port and repaired. 1933 scrapped in Japan. [Merchant Fleets, vol.5 by Duncan Haws]

DENMARK / CHILEAN 1865
was a 2,870 gross ton ship, built by Pearse & Lockwood, Stockton (engines by Fossick, Blair & Co, Stockton) in 1865. Her details were - length 342.9ft x beam 42.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 70-1st and 200-3rd class passengers. Third class capacity was later increased to 850. Launched on 7th Sep.1865 as the CHILEAN for the West India & Pacific Line, she was acquired by the National Line in 1866 and renamed DENMARK. On 9th May 1866 she sailed from Liverpool for Queenstown and New York, but lost her propeller and returned to Liverpool. She resumed the voyage on 1st Aug.1866. On 11th Nov.1870 she commenced her first London - New York voyage and between 1872 - 1890 sailed mostly between London and New York. In 1874 she was rebuilt to 3,723 gross tons and in 1880 was re-engined by J. Jones & Sons, Liverpool. She resumed Liverpool - New York sailings on 26th Apr.1891 and started her last voyage on this service on 26th Mar.1892. On 7th Dec.1892 she went back to the London - New York service, commencing her last voyage on 30th Mar.1894 and was scrapped the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.613]

DERFFLINGER 1907 / HUNTSGREEN
was a 9060 gross ton ship, length 463ft x beam 57.7ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knot. Accommodation for 104-1st, 104-2nd and 1,919-3rd class passengers. Built by F. Schichau, Danzig, she was launched on 9th Nov.1907 for North German Lloyd, Bremen and started her maiden voyage from Bremen to New York on 9th May 1908. After this voyage, she was used on the Bremen - Suez - Far East service until 1914 when she was captured by the British at Port Said. Renamed HUNTSGREEN and operated as a troopship, she was re-sold to NGL in 1923 and rebuilt to 9162 gross tons, with accommodation for 290-2nd and 521-3rd class passengers. She resumed Bremen - New York sailings on 20th Sep.1923, and later Bremen - Halifax - Galveston voyages. Her last Bremen - Halifax - Galveston sailing was on 3rd May 1928 and she subsequently returned to the Far East service until 1932 when she was scrapped at Bremerhaven. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2] [Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, by Edwin Drechsel, vol.1]

DE RUYTER 1975 see TROMP 1873

DESEADO 1911
11,475 gross tons, length 152.6m x beam 19.0m, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 98-1st, 37-2nd and 800-3rd (steerage) class passengers.
Launched by Harland & Wolff, Belfast on 26th Oct.1911 for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. services to West Indies and South America. 5th Jul.1912 maiden voyage Liverpool - River Plate. 1914 remained in service during the war due to their vital frozen meat carrying capacity. On 19th Jan.1917 in heavy seas, she was attacked in the Bay of Biscay by four surfaced U-Boats which were unable to man their guns due to the weather, and escaped. In 1934 she was scrapped in Japan. [Merchant Fleets, vol.5 by Duncan Haws]

DESIRADE 1921
9645 gross tons, 501ft x 59ft, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 97-1st, 16-2nd, 84-3rd and 803-4th class passengers. Built 1921 by Ateliers & Chantiers de France, Dunkirk for Chargeurs Reunis, Havre, and used on the France - South America service. 18.6.1940 captured off St. Helena by the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS PRETORIA CASTLE and placed under the control of the Ministry of War Transport, managed by Cayzer, Irvine & Co.(Clan Line). 1945 returned to owners, 1950 scrapped at Bruges.

DEUTSCHLAND 1866
2,800 gross tons, length 325ft x beam 40ft, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots, accommodation for 60-1st, 120-2nd and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched 29th May 1866 by Caird & Co, Greenock for North German Lloyd, Bremen, she started her maiden voyage on 14th Oct.1866 when she left Bremen for Southampton and New York. On 6th Dec.1875 she was wrecked off Kentish Knock in the Thames Estuary with the loss of 157 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2,p.545 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DEUTSCHLAND (3) 1900 / VICTORIA LUISE
The "Deutschland" of 1900 was the third vessel of that name belonging to Hamburg America Line. She was built A.G.Vulkan of Stettin and launched on 10.1.1900. and was a 16,502 ton vessel, length 660.9ft x beam 67.3ft, four funnels (set in pairs), two masts, twin screw and a speed of 22 knots. She could carry 450-1st, 300-2nd and 350-3rd class passengers. She left Hamburg for Plymouth and New York on her maiden voyage on 4.7.1900 and took the blue riband for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic in both directions, although she suffered from excessive vibration at high speeds. In 1902, this caused her rudder and stern post to snap off and repairs took five months. She made her last voyage on this run on 24.9.1910. In 1911 she was rebuilt as a 17 knot cruise vessel with accommodation for 487-1st class passengers and renamed "Victoria Luise". She sailed between Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - NY until the outbreak of war in 1914 when she intended to be converted to an auxiliary cruiser at Hamburg. She was not converted or surrendered to the Allies in 1919 due to her generally poor condition and in 1920 was damaged by fire during her reconditioning. She was rebuilt with two funnels and accommodation for 36 cabin class and 1,350-3rd class passengers and renamed "Hansa". Sailed between Hamburg and NY with a further rebuild in 1922 to carry 224 cabin and 1,065-3rd class passengers. Last voyage 25.9.1924 and scrapped in 1925 at Hamburg.

DEUTSCHLAND 1924
20,602 gross tons, length 602.5ft x beam 78.7ft, two funnels, four masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 180-1st, 400-2nd and 935-3rd class passengers. Built 1924 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg for the Hamburg America Line, she started her maiden voyage on 27th Mar.1924 from Hamburg to Southampton and New York. Re-engined in 1929 to give a speed of 19 knots. 1933 rebuilt to 21,046 tons and lengthened to 645.8ft by cutting the ship across and inserting a new section. She started her last Atlantic voyage to New York on 3rd Aug.1939 and in 1940 became an accommodation ship at Gotenhafen. 3rd May 1945 sunk off Lubeck by Allied air attack.

DEVANHA 1906
was built in 1905-6 by Caird & Co, Greenock for Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co (P&O Line). She was a 8,092 gross ton ship, length 470ft x beam 56.5ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 160-1st and 80-2nd class passengers. Newly registered on 31st Jan.1906, she was placed on the UK to India and the Far East intermediate service. Used as a troop and hospital ship in the Great War, she landed the 12th Australian Battalion at Anzac Beach, Gallipoli, and remained there as a hospital ship with her sister ship DONGOLA. She was the last vessel to leave the beach area. On Apr.5th 1916 she picked up survivors fom the torpedoed British India Line ship CHANTALA and landed them at Malta. From 1919 she returned to the Far East run with occasional voyages to Australia, and in March 1928 was sold for scrap and broken up in Japan. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O, Orient and Blue Anchor Lines]

DEVONIA 1877
was a 4,270 gross ton ship, built by Barrow Shipbuilding Co, Barrow in 1877 for the Anchor Line. Her details were - length 400.3ft x beam 42ft, straight stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 200-1st, 100-2nd and 800-3rd class. Launched on 28th Mar.1877, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Glasgow to Moville (Ireland) and New York on 2nd Jun.1877. Her last voyage on this service commenced 19th Oct. 1893 (arr. NY 31/10). After this, she made an occasional voyage for Barrow Steamship Co, but was mostly laid up until Jul.1899 when she went to Hamburg for scrapping. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.460] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line]

DILWARA / KUALA LUMPUR 1935
was a 11,080 gross ton ship, length 516.9ft x beam 63ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation for 104-1st, 100-2nd class and 1,157 troops. Built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, she was launched as a permanent troopship for British India Steam Nav.Co on 17th Oct.1935. She took part in King George VI's Coronation Review and then trooped mainly to South Africa and Suez. In April 1941 she took part in the evacuation from Greece, and in 1942 was converted to an infantry landing ship. She was involved in the Madagascar landings, and in 1943 took part in assaults on the Burma coast where she was damaged by a mine. She trooped between Singapore - Calcutta - Andaman Islands, and Siam - Penang in 1945. Rebuilt to 12,555 tons in 1949-50 and hammocks replaced by bunks, she could then carry 125-1st, 96-2nd, 104-3rd class passengers and 790 troops. She took part in the Suez Canal landings in Aug.1956 and in Nov.1960 was bought by the China Navigation Co and renamed KUALA LUMPUR. Refitted, she was used as a pilgrim ship to Jeddah and was eventually scrapped at Taiwan in 1971. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.11, British India S.N.Co.]

DIOGENES / MATAROA 1922
was 12,341 gross tons, length 500.4ft x beam 63.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13.5 knots. Accommodation for 130-1st and 422-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast as the DIOGENES for the Aberdeen Line, she was launched on 2nd Mar.1922 and started her maiden voyage from London to Brisbane on 4th July 1922. Chartered to Shaw, Savill & Albion Line in June 1926, she was renamed MATAROA, converted from coal to oil fuel and given a speed of 15 knots. She then started sailings from Southampton to Wellington via Panama. In 1931 she was converted to carry 131-cabin class passengers and in 1932 came under the ownership of Shaw, Savill & Albion Line. In Nov.1940 she became a troopship mainly to South Africa and was then used to carry meat cargoes from South America to the UK. In 1944 she was used to carry US troops to Northern Ireland in preparation for the Normandy Invasion. Irish pressure in Southern Ireland and the USA decreed that no Americans of Irish descent should go to the North in case of cross border friction, so the US Army sent all black troops to Ireland. In 1948 the ship resumed commercial service with accommodation for 372-tourist class passengers and she made her last sailing on 21st Nov.1956. On 29th Mar.1957 she arrived at Faslane for scrapping. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.10, Shaw, Savill & Albion]

DOM PEDRO SEGUNDO 1854
1,512 gross tons, wooden hull, length 247.6ft x beam 35.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, single screw, accommodation for 88-1st, 70-2nd and 250-3rd class passengers. Launched on 26th Aug.1854 by Wm. Pitcher, Northfleet, London for Companhia de Navegacao a Vapor Luso-Brasileira, she started her maiden voyage in 1855 from London for Plymouth, Oporto, Lisbon (dep. 30th May), Madeira, St. Vincent, Pernambuco, Bahia and Rio de Janeiro. She made a second round voyage on this route in 1855, three in 1856 and one in 1857. She was then sold to British owners and renamed SIR WILLIAM PEEL, 1866 sold to W. B. Guion renamed CRESCENT CITY.

DOMINION 1873
was built by A.McMillan & Son, Dumbarton (engines by J.Jack, Rollo & Co, Liverpool) in 1873 for the Dominion Line of Liverpool. This was a 3,176 gross ton ship, length 335ft x beam 38.4ft, straight stem, one funnel, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 130-cabin class and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 22/11/1873, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 6/5/1874. On 11/7/1885 she commenced her first Avonmouth - Quebec - Montreal voyage and in 1890 was fitted with triple expansion engines. She was sold to E.Thirkell & Co (British) in 1895 and on 4/1/1896 was wrecked at Castletown Berehaven, Ireland. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.804-5]

DOMINION / PRUSSIA 1893
The DOMINION was built in 1893 by Harland & Wolff of Belfast as the PRUSSIA for the German Hamburg - America Line. She was a 5965 gross ton ship, length 445.5ft x beam 50.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation for 60-1st class and 1,800-3rd class passengers. She was launched on 10/11/1893 but her completion was delayed by a strike (they even had them in those days!) and she didn't leave Hamburg on her maiden voyage to Havre and New York until 24/6/1894. She stayed on this service until her last voyage on 6/2/1898 when she was sold to the British Dominion Line and renamed DOMINION. She was rebuilt with a tonnage of 6618 tons and accommodation for 200-1st, 170-2nd, and 750-3rd class passengers and commenced sailing Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal on 7/5/1898. In 1908 she went to the American Line, was further altered to carry 370-2nd and 750-3rd class passengers and was put onto their Liverpool - Philadelphia service until May 1915. She did some intervening Dominion Line sailings and in 1918 did her first voyage after the Armistice from Liverpool - Portland on 2/12/1918. In autumn 1919 she was used as a cargo ship only and on 26/2/1921 she made her last trip from Liverpool - Portland and was scrapped in Germany in 1922. [ North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.400, vol.2, p.809]

DONA MARIA / PORT FAIRY / ITALIAN 1887
was built by Wigham Richardson & Co, Walker-on-Tyne in 1887. She was a 2,539 gross ton ship, length 330ft x beam 38.3ft, one funnel, three masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 50-1st and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 18th Oct.1887 as the PORT FAIRY for British owners, she was sold to Linha de Navegacao de J. H. Andresen (Andresen Line) of Portugal in 1892 and renamed DONA MARIA. Her first Lisbon - Azores - New York voyage started on 19th Nov.1892, and she continued this service until starting her last Oporto - Lisbon - Azores - New York sailing on 21st Nov.1903. She also made several Portugal - Amazon - New York - Portugal voyages during this period. In 1907 she was sold to the Booth Line of Liverpool, resumed her previous name of PORT FAIRY and sailed between Liverpool and the Amazon until 1909 when she was sold to Ellerman Line and renamed ITALIAN. In 1913 she was scrapped at Preston. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1196] [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor,p.124]

DONNA MARIA SEGUNDA 1853
1,534 gross tons, wooden hull, length 244ft x beam 37ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, single screw, accommodation for 80-1st, 76-2nd and 250-3rd class passengers. Launched 17th Sep.1853 by R & H. Green, Blackwall for Companhia de Navegacao a Vapor Luso-Brasileira, she started her maiden voyage on 28th Apr.1854 from London to Plymouth, Lisbon, Madeira, St. Vincent, Pernambuco, Bahia, Rio de Janeiro and Lisbon. She made one more round voyage in 1854, four in 1855 on at least one of which she sailed on to Montevideo and Buenos Aires. In 1856 she made one round voyage and commenced her final sailing 24th May 1856 when she left Lisbon for Madeira and St. Vincent where she disembarked her passengers due to engine trouble and returned to Lisbon. She was then sold in 1859 to British owners and renamed LIVERPOOL

DONAU (1) 1868
The DONAU was 2,896 gross tons, length 332ft x beam 40ft, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 60-1st and 700-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched on 17th Oct.1868 for North German Lloyd, Bremen. Her maiden voyage started 16th Jan.1869 when she left Bremen for Southampton and New York and her last Bremen - New York sailing started on 16th Jan.1887. On 25th Sep.1889 she commenced her last Bremen - Baltimore voyage and was sold to H. Bischoff, Bremen on 21st Oct.1889. Rebuilt as a freighter, she sank on 16th Mar.1895 after catching fire in the North Atlantic en route Hamburg - Philadelphia. All aboard were saved by the British ship DELAWARE. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.546] [Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, vol.1 by Edwin Drechsel]

DONGEDYK 1952 see DELFTDYK 1929

DORIAN 1868
1,039 gross tons, length 237.5ft x beam 30.2ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 9 knots. Launched Nov.1868 by Robert Duncan & Co, Port Glasgow for Handyside & Henderson who later became the Anchor Line. Mar.1869 maiden voyage Glasgow - Halifax - St. John, NB. Between 6th May 1869 and 12th Jul.1870 made five Glasgow - New York voyages, her highest number of passengers on one trip being 531. Nov.1869 first voyage Glasgow - Naples - Messina - New York - Glasgow. Between 1869 and 1888 she made 45 Glasgow - Mediterranean - New York - Glasgow voyages. 19th May 1879 first of 5 Bordeaux - New York sailings. 1878 fitted with compond engines. Feb.1888 last voyage Glasgow - Genoa - Naples - Valencia - New York and then from 1888 to 1892 used on the New York - Jamaica - New York service. 26th Jan.1893 sold to A. Colvil, New York. 11th Nov.1895 wrecked in West Indies. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1 by N.R.P. Bonsor]

DORIC 1883 / ASIA 1906
4,784 gross tons, 441ft x 44.2ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 70-1st and 900-emigrant class passengers.
Launched on 10th Mar.1883 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for White Star Line's New Zealand trade. 26th Jul.1883 maiden voyage from London - Capetown - Wellington on charter to the New Zealand Shipping Co.1885 Allocated to the Shaw Savill & Albion / White Star Line joint service to NZ. 1896 Chartered to the Occidental & Oriental SS Co. for their San Francisco - Yokohama - Hong Kong service. 1906 sold to Pacific Mail SS Co. renamed ASIA. 23rd Apr.1911 wrecked in fog near Wenchow on voyage Hong Kong - San Francisco with no loss of life. The ship was looted and burnt by local fishermen.

DORIC 1922
The DORIC was a 16,484 gross ton ship, length 575.5ft x beam 67.9ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 600-cabin and 1,700-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for the White Star Line on 8th Aug.1922 and left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 8th Jun.1923. Her last voyage on this route started 27th May 1932 and she was subsequently used for cruising. On 5th Sep.1935 she was damaged in collision with the French ship FORMIGNY off Cape Finisterre and temporarily repaired at Vigo, but sailed from London on 7th Oct.1935 for Newport, South Wales where she was scrapped.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2, p.769 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DORSET / CORRENTI 1881 was owned by Great Western Steamship Co Ltd. Sailed mainly Bristol (Avonmouth) - New York with calls at Newport and Swansea from 1881. Also Bristol - Quebec - Montreal but have no dates. Sold 1888, became Norwegian CORRENTI 1906, scrapped 1907

DORSET 1903
was a 7,630 gross ton ship, length 460ft x beam 58.1ft (140.21m x 17.74m), one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 12-1st and 200-emigrant class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, she was completed nominally for the Federal Line in Apr.1903 but for tax and financial purposes was actually owned by Birt, Trinder & Bethell. Used on the UK - Australia - New Zealand service. In 1912 with the acquisition of the company by the New Zealand Shipping Co and all their ships came under the ownership of Federal S.N.Co. Between 1914-1919 she was used on Government service for the carriage of refrigerated produce and in 1927 was sold to P & W. MacLellar Ltd for scrapping.[Merchant Fleets, vol.7 by Duncan Haws].

DORUNDA 1875
2,977 gross tons, length 368.5ft x beam 37.2ft, iron hull, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 11 knots, accommodation for 237 passengers.
Built 1875 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for British India Associated Steamers for the UK - India service. In 1881 she transferred to the Queensland Royal Mail route from UK to Brisbane and in 1884 carried the first cargo of frozen meat from Brisbane to the UK. 1887 rebuilt by Denny to 3,316 gross tons. 7th Dec.1894 wrecked at Peniche on the Portuguese coast.

DOUNE CASTLE / ST. DOMINGO / CURONIA / KAIJO MARU / SUSANNA II 1890
4,046 g.t., 396ft x 43.3ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 30-1st, 40-2nd and 80-3rd class passengers. Built 1890 by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow for the Castle Line, she was used on the Mauritius service. Transferred to Union-Castle Mail SS Co in 1900, she was taken back by her builders in 1904 in part exchange for new ships they were building. Sold by them to the East Asiatic Co, Copenhagen, renamed ST. DOMINGO and used on their West Indies service. In 1905 she transferred to their Russian subsidiary company and was renamed CURONIA. 1913 sold to Japan renamed KAIJO MARU. 1918 sold to Philippines renamed SUSANNA II. 1936 scrapped.

DOVER CASTLE 1858
was a 1003 gross ton, three masted, full rigged ship. length 185ft x beam 34ft (56.39m x 10.36m) with a wooden hull. Built in Sunderland in 1858 to the Blackwall Frigate design for R & H. Green's Black Ball Line. 1871 purchased by Shaw Savill Line, 1881 sold to Norwegian owners (C. Y. Boe, Arendal) and renamed KEM. 1885 stranded and broken up. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, Shaw Savill & Albion]

DOVER CASTLE 1904
was a 8,271 gross ton ship, built in 1904 by Barclay Curle, & Co, Glasgow for the Union Castle Mail SS Co. Her details were - length 475ft x beam 56ft, single funnel, twin screws and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 220-1st and 250-3rd class passengers. There was also capacity to carry about 300 passengers in open-berth accommodation. She was used on the UK - South Africa service until converted to a hospital ship for the Great War. Torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC.67 on 26th May 1917, with 632 patients, while 50 miles north of Bona. [The Cape Run by W.H.Mitchell & L.A.Sawyer]

DRAGON / ZEPHYR (1) 1827
DRAGON was a wooden hulled, paddle steamer, length 120ft x beam 21ft, built at Harwich in 1827. Owned by the Government, she was employed on the Holyhead - Dublin mail service at different times from the mid 1820s to 1848. These ships were very unpopular and there were numerous complaints about the way they were run. They were badly maintained, management was incompetent, fares were high, passenger accommodation had not improved since the days of sail and cabin staff were surly. Transferred from the Post Office to the Admiralty in 1837 and renamed ZEPHYR, she continued to run in a similar way until the closure of the Government mail service, by which time, she had become a museum piece. She was scrapped in 1848. Information from "Irish Passenger Steamship Services, vol.2" by D.B.McNeill. ISBN 0-7153-5248-2

DRESDEN 1888 / HELIUS / TIRIMUJGHIAN
The "Dresden" of 1888 was the first of two ships with this name owned by Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd). She was built by Fairfield Co. Ltd, Glasgow in 1888 and was a 4,527 gross ton ship, length 390.5ft x beam 46.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. Passenger accommodation for 38-1st, 20-2nd and 1,759-3rd class. Launched on 1/12/1888, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Baltimore on 10/4/1889. On 29/5/1889 she transferred to the Bremen - Suez Canal - Far East route for one round voyage and on 30/12/1889 went onto the Bremen - South America service. On 9/7/1890 she started a single round voyage from Bremen to Suez and Australia and on 18/5/1892 commenced sailings from Bremen to New York. Started her last Bremen - Baltimore voyage on 15/5/1902 and on 15/11/1902 commenced her last Bremen - S.America sailing (5 Round voyages). Her last Bremen - New York - Baltimore voyage commenced on 12/5/1903 (19 N.Atlantic round voyages). In 1903 she went to Houston Line and was renamed "Helius" and in 1904 went to Union Castle Line and was laid up. In 1906 she was sold to Turkey and was renamed "Tirimujghian" and in 1914 was sunk by the Russians in the Black Sea.

DRESDEN 1927 see ZEPPELIN 1914

DRINA 1912
11,483 gross tons, length 500.7ft x beam 62.3ft (152.60m x 19.00m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 95-1st, 38-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co (La Mala Real) on 29th Jun.1912 and made her maiden voyage Liverpool - Buenos Aires in December 1912. In Aug.1914 she was briefly used as a hospital ship but soon returned to normal duties. 1st Mar.1917 torpedoed and sunk off Milford Haven by the German submarine UC.65 with the loss of 15 lives. [Merchant Fleets, vol.5 by Duncan Haws] [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DRONNING LOVISA
531 gross tons, iron hulled passenger ship with accommodation for 70-1st, 12-2nd and 148-deck passengers. Built 1861 as DROTTNING LOVISA by Motala Warf, Norrkoping for Kongliga Generalpoststyrelsen, Stockholm and used on the Stockholm - Stettin service. 1867 taken over by Skargardsartilleriets Station, Stockholm renamed ACTIV. 1871 sold to Motala Mekaniska Verkstad, Norkopping reverted to DROTTNING LOVISA and fitted with new engine. 1878 owned by Motala Mekaniska Verkstads A/B, Stockholm. May 1881 sold to DFDS, Copenhagen and renamed DRONNING LOVISA and used mainly on Copenhagen - Stettin - Christiania service. 1886 service now mainly Stettin - Copenhagen - Gothenburg. 1900 sold to Blom & Olsen, Frederiksvaern renamed GLADYS, 1901 sold to Rinaldo Riperto, Genoa renamed MARIA STEFANIA. 31st Oct.1902 caught fire on voyage Naples - Genoa, towed to Porto Ferrario but sank in the roads.

DROTTNINGHOLM 1920 see VIRGINIAN 1905

DRUMCONDRA 1906
4,691 gross ton cargo ship, 380.8ft x 51.2ft, turret hull, single screw, speed 8 knots. Built 1906 by W. Doxford & Sons Ltd, Sunderland for Astral Shipping Co (Joseph Chadwick & Son), Liverpool.1913 sold to L. Possehl & Co, Lubeck renamed LUBECK. 1915 sold to Nordisches Erzkontor G.m.b.H, Stettin. 1919 to Britain as war reparations, managed by Turner, Brightman & Co. 1921 sold by the Shipping Controller to Calvert SS Co., Goole renamed S. E. CALVERT. 1924 sold to Ditta Luigi Pittaluga Vapori, Genoa renamed AQUITANIA. 1927 sold to M. Maresca & Co, Genoa renamed MAR GLAUCO. June 1940 laid up at Philadelphia and Mar.1941 seized by U.S. Authorities. 1941 renamed MOKATAM and operated by U.S. Maritime Commission under Panamanian flag, managed by Grace Line. Apr.1943 transferred to U.S. Army . Used for storage facility at Morotai and damaged by Japanese air attack, repaired at Sydney. 1946 laid up at Newcastle NSW. 1949 cut down and beached in Hunter River as a landfill bulkhead.

DRUMMOND CASTLE 1881
3,537 g.t., 365ft x 43.5ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 120-1st, 100-2nd and 160-3rd class passengers. Built 1881 by John Elder & Co, Glasgow for the Castle Line's mail service to South Africa. 1894 transferred to the intermediate service. On 28th May 1896 she left Cape Town with 143 passengers and a crew of 103 under the command of Capt.W. W. Pierce and on 16th June was lost at night, in poor visibility off Ushant on Pierres Vertes Reef, Molene Island. The sea was so calm that there were no breakers to warn the lookout that the ship was off course. After striking the reef, the captain, who thought that the ship was fast aground, ordered the boats to be made ready, but the ship overshot the rocks and sank in four minutes so that there was no time to launch boats. There were only three survivors and 243 lives were lost. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.18, Union-Castle Line]

DUCA D'AOSTA 1908
was a 7,804 gross ton ship, length 475ft x beam 53.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16  knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st, 16-2nd and 1,740-3rd class passengers. Built by Cantieri Navale Siciliani, Palermo (engines by N. Odero & Co, Sestri Ponente), she was launched on 29th Sep.1908 for Navigazione Generale Italiana. Her maiden voyage started 9th Nov.1909 when she sailed from Genoa for Naples and New York. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 20th Nov.1912 and then transferred to the Italy - South America route. On 7th Jul.1914 she resumed the Genoa - Naples - Palermo - New York service and started her last Genoa - Naples - New York voyage on 10th Nov.1916. She resumed service in 1918 and commenced her last Genoa - Naples - New York voyage 20th Jun.1921. Subsequently used on the South America service until Feb.1929 when she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1118]

DUCA DEGLI ABRUZZI 1907
7793 gross tons, length 475.8ft x beam 53.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 80-1st, 16-2nd and 1,740-3rd class passengers. Built by Cantieri Navale Riuniti, Spezia (engines by N.Odero & Co, Sestri Ponente), she was launched on 5th May 1907 for Navigazione Generale Italiana. Her maiden voyage started 4th Feb.1908 when she left Genoa for Naples and New York and she started her last voyage on this route on 22nd Nov.1911 before transferring to the South America service. She resumed New York sailings on 11th Oct.1914 and continued until Jan.1916, again resumed in Nov.1918 and continued until starting her last voyage between Genoa - Naples - Messina - New York on 23rd May 1922. She spent the rest of her career on the South America service until being scrapped in 1929.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1117 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DUCA DI GALLIERA see OAXACA 1883

DUCA DI GENOVA 1907
was a 7,893 gross ton ship, built by Cantieri Navale Riuniti, Spezia (engines by N.Odero & Co, Sestri Ponente) in 1907 for Navigazione Generale Italiana. Her details were - length 475.8ft x beam 53.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st, 16-2nd and 1,740-3rd class passengers. Launched on 8/9/1907, she sailed from Genoa on her maiden voyage to Naples and New York on 18/10/1908. She commenced her last round voyage on this service on 29/10/1912 and was then transferred to the Italian company, La Veloce. She was used mainly on the Genoa - South America service, but started a single Genoa - Palermo - Naples - New York round voyage on 27/9/1914. In 1915 she made a further sailing on this route and in 1916 made two N. Atlantic voyages, the last one starting on 11/9/1916. She was then used as an Italian troopship until 6/2/1918 when she was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean by the German submarine U.64 near Cape Canet, France. [North Atlantic Seaway by  N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1118]

DUCHESS OF ATHOLL 1927
This was a 20,119 gross ton ship, length 601ft x beam 75.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class passengers. Built by Beardmore & Co, Glasgow, she was launched for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd on 23rd Nov.1927. While fitting out, one of her turbines fell from a crane and the resulting damage delayed her completion so that her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal didn't start until 13th July 1928. On 4th Jan.1929 she started her first cruise from Liverpool to South America and South Africa and in Oct.1935 she lost her rudder and was towed into the River Mersey. At the outbreak of war, she had completed 109 round trips to Canada, three trips to Bermuda and 44 cruises. Requisitioned in Dec.1939 she made several Marseilles - Alexandria trooping voyages and returned to company service in May 1940. On the first of six North Atlantic voyages she carried 800 child evacuees from the UK to Canada and was again requisitioned on 15th Nov. Several trooping voyages followed, mainly between the Clyde and the Middle East via Cape Town and in Mar.1942 she took part in the invasion of Madagascar. Her last voyage was to Suez and on the way home she called at Cape Town to embark 529 passengers and sailed on 3rd Oct.1942. While in position 7.03S 11.12W, some 200 miles East of Ascension Island she was torpedoed in the engine room by the German submarine U.178. Four engineers were killed in the explosion and 20 minutes later a second torpedo struck her. Women and children abandoned ship and a third torpedo struck her 30 mins later. The ship started to settle and the rest of the passengers and crew took to the boats. The 821 survivors were rescued the following day by HMS CORINTHIAN and taken to Freetown, the only losses being the engineers killed by the initial explosion. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1318] [Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

DUCHESS OF BEDFORD / EMPRESS OF FRANCE 1928
was built by John Brown & Co Ltd, Glasgow in 1928 for Canadian Pacific SS Ltd. She was a 20,123 gross ton ship, length 601ft x beam 75.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots.
There was passenger accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class. Launched on 24th January 1928 by Mrs Stanley Baldwin, the wife of the British prime minister, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 1st June 1928. On her second westbound crossing, she set a new record of six days, nine and a half hours from Liverpool to Montreal. In July 1933 she was in collision with an iceberg in Belle Isle Strait, but sustained only slight damage. Five days before the declaration of war in 1939, she was chartered for a trooping voyage to Bombay, and on 5th January 1940 resumed Liverpool - St John NB - Halifax voyages, being used on the Eastbound crossings to ferry Canadian troops to Britain. In August 1940 she commenced the first of three voyages to Suez via Freetown and Cape Town. In November 1941 she left Liverpool on a 5 month voyage which took her to Singapore with 4000 Indian troops and 40 nurses. Arriving at the end of January 1942, she embarked 875 women and children for evacuation to Batavia, Java. Although attacked on several occasions, she was not seriously damaged, and arrived at Liverpool on 2nd April 1942. After two trips to Cape Town, she sailed from Liverpool for Boston on 7th August 1942 and on 9th August, sighted a U-Boat and sank her by gunfire. She was later used in the North African landings and shot down an enemy aircraft in November 1943. Later used in the Sicily and Salerno landings and various trooping voyages, and prisoner of war repatriations.
On 3rd March 1947 she arrived at Glasgow to be refitted to carry 400-1st and 300-tourist class passengers, her speed increased to 20 knots, and was renamed EMPRESS OF FRANCE in October 1947. She resumed Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal sailings on 1st September 1948 and in 1958 was fitted with new streamlined funnels and her accommodation altered to carry 218-1st and 482-tourist class passengers. She started her last Montreal - Liverpool crossing on 30th November 1960 having made 310 round voyages on the North Atlantic, and on 19th December 1960 sailed from Liverpool for Newport, Monmouthshire where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol. 3, pp. 1317-18] [Canadian Pacific - 100 years by George Musk]

DUCHESS OF RICHMOND / EMPRESS OF CANADA (2) 1928
20,022 gross tons, length 601ft x beam 71.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 18 knots, accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, she was launched on 18th Jun.1928 for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. Her maiden voyage started 15th Mar.1929 when she left Liverpool for St. John, NB and she continued Canada sailings until starting her last pre-war crossing from Montreal to Liverpool on 15th Dec.1939. She was then used as a troopship until May 1946 when she arrived at Glasgow for refurbishment. Refitted to carry 400-1st and 300-tourist class passengers and speed increased to 20 knots, she was renamed EMPRESS OF CANADA in 1947. On 16th Jul.1947 she left Liverpool on her first post war voyage to Quebec and Montreal and made a total of 186 round voyages on the North Atlantic. She caught fire at Gladstone Dock, Liverpool on 25th Jan.1953, heeled over and sank in dock. Refloated in March 1954, she left Liverpool in tow on 1st Sept. and was scrapped at Spezia, Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3, p.1318 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

DUCHESS OF YORK 1928
was a 20,021 gross ton ship, length 601ft x beam 75.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 580-cabin, 480-tourist and 510-3rd class. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd, she was laid down as the DUCHESS OF CORNWALL but was launched as the DUCHESS OF YORK on 28th Sep.1928. On 22nd Mar.1929 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Saint John NB, with calls at Belfast and Greenock and in 1930 made a record passage from Liverpool to Saint John of 6 days 22 hours 14 mins. In addition to her normal Liverpool - Canada service, she made several voyages on the New York - Bermuda service in 1931-32 and some sailings from Antwerp, Hamburg and Southampton. Requisitioned in 1940, she made three Liverpool - Canada sailings and on 1st Jun.1940 sailed to Ana Fjord, Norway to rescue 4,000 British troops and civilians. She then sailed to Brest with French Foreign Legionaires and then to St Nazaire where she rescued 5,000 British troops and nurses while under heavy bombing attacks. On 21st Jun.1940 she sailed for Canada with 3,000 German prisoners of war and then made a similar voyage with 1,100 evacuee children. Her next voyage was to Suez via Cape Town and she then took reinforcements to Singapore. She made two voyages from Liverpool to India and then made six trips with troops and supplies for the North Africa landings. She left Glasgow for the last time on 7th Jul.1943 and on 11th July was hit by bombs while off the Spanish coast. The ship caught fire and was abandoned with the loss of 27 lives. She was eventually torpedoed and sunk by HMS DOUGLAS to reduce the risk of the burning ship attracting submarines. [Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

DUILIO 1916
was laid down in 1914, but, due to the war, was not launched until 1916 and did not sail on her maiden voyage to New York until 1923. She was built by G. Ansaldo & Co, Sestri Ponente, Italy for Navigazione Generale Italiana. Her dimensions were 24,281 gross tons, length 602.4ft x beam 76.3ft, two funnels, two masts, four screws and a speed of 19 knots. There was accommodation for 280-1st, 670-2nd, and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9/1/1916, she left Genoa on 29/10/1923 on her maiden voyage to Naples and New York and sailed on her last run on this service on 24/7/1928, when she was transferred to the South America service. In 1932, she went to the Italia Line and was transferred to the South Africa run in 1933. In 1937 she went to Lloyd Triestino and on 10/7/1944 was bombed and sunk at Trieste. Refloated in 1948 and scrapped.

DUKE OF ARGYLL 1928
3604 g.t., 360ft x 53.1ft, twin screw, speed 20 knots. Launched 18th Apr.1928 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for the London, Midland & Scottish Railway Co's Heysham - Belfast overnight service. In 1939 she became H.M. Hospital Ship No.65 with capacity for 416 patients and 60 medical staff. June 1940 assisted in the evacuations from France. 1942 converted to Infantry Landing Ship and her lifeboats replace by landing craft. Used as a commando training ship. June 1944 based in the Solent for the Normandy Landings. Jan.1946 resumed commercial service on her pre-war route. 1955 renamed DUKE OF ARGYLL II to release her name for a new ship. 1956 scrapped.

DUKE OF BUCCLEUCH 1873
3,099 gross tons, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was capacity for approx. 60-1st and 800-emigrant class passengers. Built in 1873 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Barrow for the Eastern Steamship Co. Ltd (Ducal Line) which ran services between the UK and Calcutta. In 1882 it became apparent that the volume of traffic between the UK and Brisbane warranted a fortnightly service. British India S.N.Co. did not have the necessary tonnage to provide this and approached the Ducal Line to charter a number of vessels. Agreement was reached for some of their steamers to be employed on the Queensland trade alongside British India ships and the DUKE OF BUCCLEUCH was one of these ships. Her first voyage on this service started on 12th Feb.1883 when she left London and sailed via Suez to Batavia and Brisbane. She continued this service until starting her last voyage on 21st Mar.1888. On 7th Mar.1889 she was sunk in collision with the sailing ship VANDALIA off Brighton.[North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

DUKE OF BUCKINGHAM 1880
was built in 1880 for the Ducal Line by Barrow Shipbuilding Co, Barrow. She was a 3,123 gross ton ship, length 384ft x beam 38.3ft, one funnel, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. She sailed from London on her first voyage to Suez, Batavia, Brisbane and Newcastle, NSW on 4th December 1882 and stayed on this joint service with British India Stem Nav. Co until 1886. In December 1886 she was chartered to the Huntington Line and sailed between London, Havre and Newport News(arrived 13/1/1887). In Feb.1887 she started her first Liverpool - Newport News voyage and made her last sailing on this service in March 1888 (arr. Newport News 3rd April). She then went back to the Australia route and made her last sailing to Brisbane on 25/8/1900. In 1900 she was sold to Macbeth & Grey and in 1902 was resold to Italian owners. She was broken up at Genoa in July 1903. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber, p.171-176] [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1174-5]

DUKE OF NORFOLK 1889
3,819 gross tons, built 1889 by Hawthorn Leslie & Co., Newcastle as the NAIRNSHIRE for Turnbull, Martin & Co., Glasgow. In 1898 she was sold to the Ducal Line (J. B. Westray & Co.), Glasgow and renamed DUKE OF NORFOLK. 27th Jul. 1898 started first voyage London via Suez to Brisbane. Last voyage 10th Sep. 1902. The company then went into liquidation and the remaining ships were transferred to Gray, Dawes & Co. In 1905 the Duke of Norfolk was sold to C. Andersen, Hamburg and renamed MARCELLUS. 1908 sold to Sweden renamed JOHANNA, 1914 sold to Greece renamed PERICLES. On 24th May 1914 she sank 90 miles off Ushant after striking submerged wreckage on voyage Swansea - Alexandria with coal.

DUKE OF PORTLAND / MORAYSHIRE / HIGHLAND FLING 1890
was 3,822 gross tons,  length 350.5ft x beam 47.7ft (106,83m x 14,53m),  one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. She carried saloon as well as emigrant passengers. Built by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co, Newcastle, she was launched in Feb.1890 as the MORAYSHIRE for Turnbull Martin's Scottish Shire Line and sailed to New Zealand via the Queensland ports. Purchased by J.B.Westray & Co (Ducal Line) in 1898, she was renamed DUKE OF PORTLAND and on 28th Apr.1898 started sailings between London and New Zealand via the Cape. On 28th Sep.1898 she commenced London, Suez, Brisbane voyages and started her last voyage on this service on 25th Oct.1904. Sold to the Nelson Line in 1905, she was renamed HIGHLAND FLING and operated on the River Plate frozen meat trade. On 7th Jan.1907 she was wrecked at Kennoch Bay, near Lizard Point, Cornwall. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.5, Royal Mail Line and Nelson Line.]

DUKE OF SUTHERLAND / MACQUARIE / HANAMET 1873
was built by R.Duncan & Co, Port Glasgow in 1873 for the Eastern Steamship Co (Ducal Line) which traded between the UK and Calcutta. She was a 3,013 gross ton steamship, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. In Dec.1883 she made a single round voyage from London via Suez to Melbourne and Sydney for the Colonial Line and in 1884 agreement was made between the Ducal Line and British India Steam Navigation Co whereby Ducal Line ships would trade alongside BISN Co ships on the Queensland trade. There was accommodation for 60-1st class passengers plus about 800 emigrants which were carried in the forward 'tween decks. Her first voyage on the London - Batavia - Brisbane service started on 11th Aug.1884 and she continued on this route until starting her last voyage on 25th Jul.1902. In 1904 she was sold to W.& A. McArthur and renamed MACQUARIE and in 1906 went to US owners and was renamed HANAMET. She was scrapped at Danzig in 1925. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M. Maber]

DUKE OF WESTMINSTER / WESTMINSTER 1882
was built in 1882 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co, Barrow for the Ducal Line. She was a 3,726 gross ton ship, length 400ft x beam 40.3ft (121,91m x 12,28m), one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 40-1st class, plus 3rd class passengers. Launched on 27th April 1882, she was used for the joint service with British India Steam Nav.Co between London, Suez, Batavia and Brisbane. She started her first voyage on this service on 2/7/1883 and her last on 26/6/1902. Between 1886-88 she was chartered to the Huntington Line and made several voyages between London or Liverpool and Newport News. In 1903 she was sold to Italian owners, renamed WESTMINSTER and was scrapped at Genoa in September 1903. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber, p.171-176] [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1174]

DUNBAR CASTLE 1930
was (named after a castle in East Lothian)was built in 1930 by Harland & Wolff, Govan for the Union Castle Mail SS Co. She was a 10,002 gross ton ship, two funnels and two masts and was employed on the London - round Africa service, in which some ships sailed out via Suez and home via the Cape and some in the reverse direction. She was sunk by a magnetic mine on 9th January 1940, two miles East of the Goodwin Sands while on passage from London to Beira. She was the first war loss of the company. [The Cape Run by W.H.Mitchell & L.A.Sawyer]

DUNERA 1937
was built as a troopship by Barclay Curle & Co, Glasgow in 1937. She was a 12,620 gross ton ship, length 517ft x beam 63ft, one funnel, two masts, diesel engines and twin screws. Managed by British India Steam Navigation Co, she was occasionaly used before the war for passenger cruises during the summer months to Northern capitals. In 1940 she was used to bring Australian and New Zealand troops to Suez and in 1942 was involved with the invasion of Madagascar. In 1943 she took part in the Sicily landings and in 1944 carried the US headquarters staff for the landings near Cannes in southern France. After the war, she continued on trooping duties to Malaya and in 1950-51 was used for the Korean war. In 1956 she was involved in the Suez crisis when the Suez Canal was nationalised. She was released from trooping in 1961, being replaced by the new OXFORDSHIRE and NEVASA as well as air travel. She was then refitted for use as a schools' educational cruise ship and painted white. In 1967 she was scrapped at Bilbao. [Taken from Ships Monthly magazine article by R.G.Robertson, July - December 1990]

DUNLUCE CASTLE 1904
was a 8114 gross ton ship, length 475ft x beam 56.8ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots. Accommodation for 211-1st and 264-2nd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was delivered to the Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co in Sept.1904 for their intermediate London - South Africa service. In Jan.1910 she made the company's first London - Cape - Delagoa Bay - Mombasa sailingand in Aug.1914 became a troopship. In July 1915 she was commissioned as a 755 berth hospital ship and served at Gallipoli and Mudros, later at East Africa for the Indian Government. The following year she was in the Mediterranean and Adriatic and returned to her owners in Apr.1919. She resumed her regular route until 1931 when she was placed on the London - "Round Africa" service. Sold for scrapping in July 1939, but was acquired by the Government and used as an accommodation ship for small vessels, firstly at Hull and Immingham and later at Scapa Flow. 1945 scrapped at Inverkeithing. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.18 Union-Castle Lines]

DUNNOTTAR CASTLE / VICTORIA / THE VICTORIA 1936
started life as the DUNNOTTAR CASTLE in 1936 for the Union Castle Mail Steamship Co's Southampton - Cape Town mail and passenger service. Used as an Armed Merchant Cruiser and troopship during the war. Returned to London - round Africa service from 1949 - 1958 when she was sold to Incres Line and registered in Liberia. Renamed VICTORIA in 1959 and converted to a cruise ship. Used for Mediterranean cruises in 1959; New York - West Indies cruises from 1960. Sold to Phaidon Nav. Co, Panama in 1975 and towed to Piraeus. Renamed THE VICTORIA in 1977. Cruising in Mediteranean and Caribbean 1981. I believe this ship is still in service based in Cyprus.

DUNOTTAR CASTLE / CARIBBEAN 1890
5,625 gross tons, length 433ft x beam 49.7ft, two funnels, three masts, single screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 160-1st, 90-2nd and 100-3rd class passengers or 1,500 troops.
Built 1890 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Govan for the Union Line, she initially did a shake down cruise round the Western Isles and made her maiden voyage from Dartmouth to Cape Town in Sep.1890. On 20th Jun.1891 she started her first Southampton - Cape Town passage which she made in 16d 14h. In 1894 she grounded near Eddystone lighthouse but was refloated. Nov.1899 took General Buller, Winston Churchill and 1,500 troops to Cape Town and on the next voyage carried Lord Kitchener and Lord Roberts to the Boer War. Mar.1900 transferred to the newly formed Union-Castle Mail Steamship Co. and in Dec.1900 was towed into Dakar by White Star Line's RUNIC and later towed to the UK after her propeller shaft snapped off Cape Verde. 1904 laid up at Southampton. 1907 chartered to the Panama Railroad Co, New York for their New York - Colon passenger service. 1908 chartered by Sir Henry Lunn for cruises to Norway and the Mediterranean. 1911 took guests to King George V Delhi Durbar. 1913 sold to Royal Mail Steam Packet Co., renamed CARIBBEAN and used for cruising. Sep.1914 carried Canadian troops to Europe and then reauisitioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser, but found unsuitable. May 1915 converted into a dockyard workers accommodation ship. 27th Sep.1915 sank in heavy weather off Cape Wrath on passage to Scapa Flow with the loss of 15 lives, crew taken off by HMS BIRKENHEAD. [Union-Castle Line by Peter Newall]

DUNTROON / TONG HOO / LYDIA 1935
O.N.159556, 10,346 gross tons, 472ft x 65.3ft, twin screw, speed 19 knots, accommodation for 373 passengers. Built 1935 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne (Yard No.1460) for Melbourne SS Co, Melbourne and used on Australian coastal services. On 20.11.1940 she collided with and sank the minesweeper GOORANGAI with the loss of her entire crew of 24. 1942 requisitioned as troopship. 1950 returned to owners, 1960 sold to Grosvenor Shipping Co, Hong Kong, resold to Kie Hock Shipping Co, Hong Kong. 1961 renamed TONG HOO and used on Hong Kong - Indonesia passenger service. 1966 sold to Africa Shipping Co, renamed LYDIA and used for India / Pakistan - East Africa route. 1967 laid up at Singapore, 1973 last voyage Yokosuka to Kaohsiung, Taiwan where she was scrapped. [Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.3 by A. Kludas]

DUNVEGAN CASTLE 1896
5958 gross tons, length 450.5ft x beam 50.9ft, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 200-1st and 400-3rd class passengers. Built by Fairfield SB Co, Govan for Donald Currie's Castle Line, she entered service in Jul.1896 as a mail steamer on the UK - South Africa service. In 1900 she became part of the merged Union-Castle Mail SS Co and in 1901 took part in Edward VII's Coronation review at Spithead. After being used for cruising in Summer 1904, she was laid up at Netley for seven years before being rebuilt and placed on the UK - Suez - East Africa route. 1914 used for cross channel trooping. 1915 returned to South Africa Mail service when larger ships were taken over for war service, then converted to Hospital ship. 1916 returned to her owners and in 1917 carried General Smuts, prime minister of South Africa to Britain. 1918 made two voyages to New York for Cunard Line. 1919 chartered to French Government and made Copenhagen - Cherbourg voyages to repatriate French prisoners from North Germany. 1921 laid up at Netley. 1923 scrapped Germany.[Merchant Fleets, vol.18 by Duncan Haws]

DUNVEGAN CASTLE 1936
15,007 gross tons, length 560ft x beam 71.9ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 258-1st and 250-2nd class passengers. Launched on 26th Mat.1936 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Union-Castle Mail SS Co. she was used on the South Africa Mail service. 1939 requisitioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser and used on South Atlantic patrol work. 27th Aug.1940 torpedoed by the German submarine U.46 off Western Ireland with the loss of 27 lives while escorting a Freetown bound convoy. She sank the following day. [Merchant Fleets, vol.18 by Duncan Haws]

DURHAM CASTLE 1904
was a 8217 gross ton ship, length 475.5ft x beam 56.8ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots. Accommodation for 230-1st and 250-3rd class passengers. Built by the Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Glasgow, she was delivered to the Union-Castle Mail SS Co in Feb.1904 for their intermediate London - South Africa service. In 1910 she was transferred to the Mombasa via the Cape route and remained in commercial service during the Great War, but was used as a troopship on the northern return voyages. Transferred to the East Africa via Suez service in 1931, she was disposed of to the Admiralty in 1939. On 26th Jan.1940 she was mined and sunk off Cromarty while in tow to Scapa Flow for use as a base accommodation ship. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, Union-Castle Line]

DWINSK see C.F.TIETGEN / ROTTERDAM 1897

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: August 06, 2010 and maintained by and M. Kohli