FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - E

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

EBRO / PRINCESA OLGA / SERPA PINTO 1914
8,267 gross tons, length 450.3ft x beam 57.8ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 278-1st and 328-2nd class passengers. Built by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast, she was launched on 8th Sep.1914 as the EBRO for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. In 1915 she became an armed merchant cruiser and in 1919 was converted to oil fuel and chartered to Pacific Steam Navigation Co. Sold to P.S.N.Co in 1922 and resold to Yugoslavia in 1935 and renamed PRINCESA OLGA. In 1940 she became the SERPA PINTO for Companhia Colonial de Navegacao, Lisbon and started her first Lisbon - Madeira - St. Vincent - Rio de Janeiro - Santos voyage on 14th Aug.1940. Her eleventh and last Lisbon - Brazil voyage started on 10th Oct.1945 (the 31st Mar.1942 voyage terminated at Buenos Aires). There were intervening voyages Lisbon - New York, Baltimore or Philadelphia. On 14th Aug.1953 she transferred to Lisbon - Madeira - La Guiara - Curacao - Havana sailings and made 12 voyages on this route. She made one further Lisbon - St. Vincent - Rio de Janeiro - Santos sailing on 9th Jul.1954 and on 6th Sep.1955 left Lisbon in tow for Belgian shipbreakers. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

EDAM 1881
2,950 gross tons, length 320.3ft x beam 39.1ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 46-1st and 648-3rd class passengers. Built by A. McMillan & Son, Dumbarton (engines by D.Rowan, Glasgow), she was launched for the Holland America Line on 11th Aug.1881. Her maiden voyage started on 29th Oct.1881 when she left Rotterdam for New York and on 8th Apr.1882 she commenced her first Amsterdam - New York sailing. Her last sailing on this service started on 26th Aug.1882 and on 21st Sep.1882 she was sunk off Sandy Hook in collision with the Wilson liner LEPANTO with the loss of two lives.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.910]

EDAM 1883
This was a 3,130 gross ton ship, length 328.1ft x beam 41.3ft, one funnel, two masts, steel construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 50-1st and 424-3rd class passengers. Built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij, Fijenoord (Rotterdam), she was launched for the Holland America Line on 29th Aug.1883. On 27th Oct.1883 she left Amsterdam on her maiden voyage to New York and on 1st Oct.1890 commenced her first Rotterdam - New York sailing. She resumed Amsterdam - New York voyages on 30th Mar.1895 and on 19th Sep.1895 was sunk in collision with the British ship TURKISTAN in the English Channel with no loss of life.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.910]

EDAM 1921
The EDAM was a 8,871 gross ton ship, o'all length 142m x beam 17.74m, two funnels, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 988 passengers. Built by Koninklijke Mij de Schelde Flushing in 1921 for the Holland America Line Rotterdam - Cuba - Mexico service. 1932 laid up at Rotterdam, 1934 rebuilt with one funnel and accommodation for 90 passengers. March 1935 first Rotterdam - New York voyage. 1953 laid up at Rotterdam. 1954 scrapped Hong Kong. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3]

EDINBURGH 1855 / ERIDANO
Built by Tod & McGregor, Glasgow in 1855 for the British owned Glasgow and New York Steamship Co. She was a 2,197 gross ton ship, length 300.5ft x beam 39.8ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (ship-rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 100-1st and 700-2nd and 3rd class passengers. Launched on 10/11/1855, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to New York on 28/12/1855. In June 1859 she collided with an iceberg, 100 miles from St John,s NF, where temporary repairs were undertaken, and on 13/7/1859 she was escorted back to Glasgow by the same company's steamer GLASGOW. She started her last Glasgow - New York voyage on 28/9/1859 and was then purchased by the Inman Line. She started her first voyage for her new owners on 23/11/1859 when she sailed from Liverpool for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York and continued this service until commencing her last voyage on 6/7/1867. In 1870 she went to the Telegraph Construction Co and was used as a cable laying steamer, and in 1879 was sold to the Dutch company, Stoomvaart Mij Insulinde. In 1880 she went to the British company, Adamson & Ronaldson and started the first of three London - Boston voyages on 23/12/1880. Between 1881-1882 she was sold to other British owners and her engines removed. Purchased at Suakin, Sudan by the Italian Government on 24/9/1885, she was despatched to Venice, rebuilt and re-engined, renamed ERIDANO and in 1886 was used as a transport in the Abyssinian Campaign. In 1893 she carried Italian exhibits destined for the Columbian Exposition at Chicago, and was subsequently used as a hydrographic ship. In approximately 1905 she became a storeship for the Italian Naval Torpedo School, and in 1907 became a hulk at Maddalena, Sardinia. She was scrapped in 1917. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.254]

EDINBURGH CASTLE / ESPANA 1872
O.N.65708. 2,678 gross tons, length 335ft x beam 37.7ft, iron hull, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 1st and 3rd class pasengers. Built by Robert Napier & Sons, Glasgow (Yard No.309) for Donald Currie's Castle Line, she was launched on 27th Mar.1872. On 13th Jul.1872 she left Liverpool for South America on charter to Pacific Steam Navigation Co and on 4th July 1873 arrived back at Liverpool after three South America voyages. She was then placed on the Capetown Mail run until 1880 when she was sold to Don Jose Campo for use on the Cadiz - Manila mail service and renamed ESPANA. In 1882 she commenced a new service between Spain and San Francisco via the Straits of Magellan. 1884 sold to Cia. Trasatlantica, Barcelona. 1898 scrapped at Marseilles.

EDINBURGH CASTLE 1910
13,326 gross tons, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 320-1st, 230-2nd and 270-3rd class passengers.
Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Union-Castle Mail S.S. Co.'s passenger and mail service to South Africa, she entered service in May 1910 with a passage time to Cape Town of 16½ days. On 14th Aug.1914 she left Cape Town with mail and only government passengers and was ordered into Gibraltar to embark garrison tropps and was then escorted to the U.K. by HMS MINERVA. She was then taken over as an auxiliary cruiser for the South Atlantic patrol. Jan.1915 left Devonport for South Africa and joined the hunt for the German cruisers KARLSRUHE and KRONPRINS WILHELM. 1916 refitted and re-armed at Simonstown and in 1918 was employed as a North Atlantic convoy escort. 1919 returned to owners and refitted to carry 235-1st, 295-2nd and 250-3rd class passengers. 1928 again refitted for 120-1st, 68-2nd and 200-3rd class passengers. 1938 withdrawn from service and laid up at Netley. Jan.1940 purchased by the Admiralty and anchored at Freetown, Sierra Leone as an accommodation ship by the Navy and for survivors of sunken ships. Sep.1945 released from service but uneconomical to tow back to the U.K so was towed 60 miles out to sea by the tug EMPIRE LAWN and sunk by gunfire from the armed trawler CAPE WARWICK, HMS PORCHESTER CASTLE and HMS LAUNCESTON CASTLE. [Merchant Fleets, vol.18 by Duncan Haws]

EDINBURGH CASTLE 1947
The EDINBURGH CASTLE of 1947 was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Union Castle Mail SS Co, and was a sister ship to the PRETORIA CASTLE. Launched by Princess Margaret on 16.10.1947, she was a 28,705 gross ton ship, length 747.5ft x beam 83.5ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and accommodation for 227-1st class and 478-cabin class passengers. She started her maiden voyage on 9.12.1948 when she left Southampton for South Africa. She was used on the mail ship service between Southampton and Madeira, Cape Town, Port Elizabeth, East London and Durban with occasional calls at Las Palmas on the return voyage. All of the Union Castle Line mail steamers sailed from Southampton as opposed to their "intermediate round-Africa" service which sailed from London. In 1954 she made a record run from England to Cape Town in 11 days 21.5 hours.  In 1962, the 'round-Africa' service ceased and arrangements were made for the mail ships to make calls at St Helena and Ascension as required. She was withdrawn for about ten weeks in 1962 and given an extensive overhaul by Harland & Wolff at Southampton, and fitted with air conditioning. Rebuilt in 1965 to carry 155-1st and 491-tourist class passengers, and her mainmast removed, she was then used on a new accelerated service of eleven and a half days to Cape Town in conjunction with Safmarine. She continued on this service until her last arrival at Southampton on 12.4.1976. Sailed for Durban, where she arrived on 10th May with cargo only, and then on to Kaohsiung, Taiwan, where she arrived on 3rd June for breaking up. [The Cape Run by W.H.Mitchell & L.A.Sawyer]

EDITH 1870
758 gross tons, length 250.6ft x beam 30.1ft, two funnels, two masts, side paddle wheel propulsion, speed 13 knots, capacity for 128-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Built 1870 by Andrew Leslie & Co, Hebburn (engines by Robert Stephenson & Co, Newcastle) for London & North Western Railway Co. and used mostly on the Holyhead - North Wall, Dublin route. 1st May 1873 initiated the Greenore - Holyhead service. 8th Sep.1875 sank after collision with the DUCHESS OF SUTHERLAND at Holyhead. Dec.1877 refloated and beached. Feb.1878 taken into drydock for repair but the damage was so severe that she was rebuilt as a cargo vessel. Dec.1878 resumed service to North Wall. July 1883 converted to a twin screw ship and then used exclusively as a cattle boat. 1892 re-engined. Mar.1912 scrapped. [Merchant Fleets, vol.25 by Duncan Haws] [Irish Passenger Steamship Services, vol.2 by D. B. McNeill]

EDUARD BOHLEN 1891
The EDUARD BOHLEN was a 2,272 gross ton passenger / cargo ship, length 310.6ft x beam 38.1ft, single screw, speed 10.5 knots. Accommodation for 32-1st and 14-2nd class passengers. Completed Jan.1891 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg (Yard No.75) for Die Africanische Dampschiffs AG (managed by Woermann Line), Hamburg and used on the Hamburg - West Africa service. 1895 sold to Cie. Maritime Belge du Congo, Antwerp. 1898 purchased by Woermann Line, Hamburg. 5th Sep.1909 ran aground in thick fog and wrecked at Conception Bay while on voyage Swakopmund to Table Bay with general cargo. [Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1891 by Starke / Schell] [Die Schiffe der deutschen Afrika-Linien 1880-1945 by Arnold Kludas contains photos of the ship and the wreck]

EGYPT 1871
The EGYPT was an emigrant ship. She was a 4,670 gross ton ship, length 443ft x beam 44.3ft, two funnels, four masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st and 1,400-3rd class passengers. Built by the Liverpool Shipbuilding Co, Liverpool (engines by J. Jack, Rollo & Co, Liverpool), she was launched for the National Line of Liverpool on 9th Feb.1871. Apart from the GREAT EASTERN, she was the largest ship in the world for a time. Her maiden voyage started on 10th Nov.1871 when she left Liverpool for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. In 1879 she was chartered to the British Government for use as a transport during the Zulu War. On 18th Jan.1883 she commenced a single round voyage under charter to the Inman Line and started her last Liverpool - New York sailing on 8th Nov.1889. She transferred to London - New York sailings on 2nd Jan.1890 and on 10th Jul.1890 left New York for Liverpool. On the homeward passage she was destroyed by fire at sea on 19th Jul.1890, and although no human lives were lost, 600 head of cattle perished.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.614]

EGYPT 1897
7,912 gross tons, length 500ft x beam 54.4ft, two funnels, single screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 314-1st and 212-2nd class passengers, she could also carry 2,500 troops. Built 1897 by Caird & Co, Greenock for P & O Steam Nav. Co, she was used mostly on the Indian and Australia services. In 1910 she carried the Princess Royal home from Egypt and in 1915 became a Hospital Ship, principally in the Mediterranean. On 20th May 1922 she sank in 20 minutes after colliding with the French ship SEINE in dense fog off Ushant. 71 crew and 15 passengers were lost as well as over one million pounds worth of gold bullion. Most of the bullion was later salvaged. [Merchant Fleets vol.1 by Duncan Haws]

EGYPTIAN MONARCH 1880
3,967 gross tons, length 360ft x beam 43.1ft. iron hull, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 11 knots, acommodation for 40-1st and 1,000-steerage class passengers. Built 1880 by Earles Shipbuilding Co., Hull for the Royal Exchange Shipping Co (Monarch Line), London and sailed between Glasgow and New York. 1887 purchased by Thos. Wilson, Sons & Co., Hull and used on the London - New York service, 1893 renamed OHIO and sailed between Hull - Newcastle - Halifax / Boston / New York. 1895 re-engined. May 1904 sold to W. F. Mitchell, London. 22nd Oct.1904 wrecked at Ping Yang Inlet, Korea on passage Muroran to Chinnampho with a cargo of railway sleepers.[North Atlantic Seaway vol.3, p.965 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Wilson Line by John Harrower]

EHRENFELS / ST.GEORG / ENTERPRISE 1882
The first EHRENFELS (the company owned six ships with this name at different times), was a 2,315 gross ton ship, length 303.6ft x beam 35.8ft, single screw and rigged for sail. Built by Wigham Richardson & Co, Newcastle-on-Tyne, she was launched in March 1882 for the Hansa Line of Bremen. In 1892 she was lengthened by AG Weser, Bremen to 322.8ft, 2,593 gross tons. Sold to Dampsch.Act.Ges. Albis, Hamburg in 1898, she was renamed ST.GEORG. In 1900 she was sold to Heinrich Diederichsen, Kiel and in July 1901 was resold to the Matson Navigation Co (USA) and renamed ENTERPRISE. Laid up at Antioch, Calif. in 1926, she eventually left San Francisco on 21st Apr.1937 for Osaka for breaking up. Put back to S.F. with engine trouble and finally left for Osaka, Japan on 24th April. 31st May 1937 arrived Osaka for scrapping. [Deutsche Dampschifffahrts-Gesellschaft "HANSA" by Leonard Grey, World Ship Society 1967]

EIDER 1883
The EIDER was a 4722 gross ton iron built vessel, built by John Elder & Co. of Glasgow in 1883 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. Her dimensions were length 429.8ft x beam 47ft, straight stem, two funnels, four masts, single screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st class, 130-2nd class and 1,000-3rd class passengers. She was launched on 15/12/1883 and left Bremen for Southampton and New York on her maiden voyage on 19/3/1884. She left Bremen on her last voyage on 31/1/1892 and stranded on Atherfield Ledge, Isle of Wight, was refloated and scrapped.

EISENACH / SANTAREM 1908
6,757 gross tons, 419.6ft x 54.5ft, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 50-1st and 900-3rd class passengers. Launched on 27th Jun.1908 by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack for their own account and laid up until 9th Feb.1910 when she was purchased by North German Lloyd and started her maiden voyage from Bremen to La Plata. She was then used regularly on the Bremen - Boulogne - Lisbon - Madeira - Brazil and Argentina service. 1913 one voyage to Baltimore. 1914 sheltered in Pernambuco on the outbreak of war, seized by Brazilian authorities in 1917 and renamed SANTAREM. Used on South American coastal services from 1918 - 1922 and then chartered to French Line and used on their New York service. 1922 owned by Lloyd Brasileiro. 1940 nearly burnt out but run ashore and later salvaged and rebuilt with accommodation for 60-1st and 726-3rd class passengers. 1960 scrapped in Argentina. [Norddeutschr Lloyd, Bremen vol.1 by Edwin Drechsel]

ELBE / SARAH / ANSGAR 1849
The ELBE was a 385 gross ton, wooden hulled, three masted barque built in 1849. She had accommodation for 20-1st and 200-steerage class passengers. Purchased on the stocks by Hamburg America Line, she sailed between Hamburg and New York and the average passage time was 42 days. Round voyages usually lasted 98 days. Sold in 1864 she was renamed SARAH, and in 1866 she went to Danish owners and was renamed ANSGAR. In 1879 she was sold to Russia and was wrecked on 14th Nov.1900. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.347][Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America, Adler and Carr Lines]

ELBE 1881
The ELBE was built by John Elder & Co, Glasgow in 1881 for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 4,510 gross ton ship, length 416.5ft x beam 45ft, straight stem, two funnels, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st, 130-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 2nd Apr.1881, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 26th Jun.1881. She was a record breaking ship at the time and sailed from Southampton to Sandy Hook in 8 days 12 hours 50 minutes, and in the Easterly direction in 8d 9h 10m. She sailed from Bremen on her final voyage on 29th Jan.1895, and the following day was sunk in collision with the British ship CRAITHIE in the North Sea with the loss of 322 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.551]

EL KANTARA 1904
6,879 gross tons, 447.2ft x 52.6ft, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 40-1st and 54-2nd class passengers and 1,200 troops. Launched 4th Aug.1904 by La Ciotat for Messageries Maritimes for their Marseilles - Saigon - Haiphong service. 1920 transferred to the Marseilles - Colombo - Sydney - Noumea service. 1923 Marseilles - Panama - Tahiti - New Caledonia service. 1926 scrapped at Dunkirk.

ELLORA / CADIZ 1855
The ELLORA was a 1,607 gross ton ship, length 261.1ft x beam 36.1ft (79,60m x 11,02m), clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Built by John Laird, Birkenhead in 1855. Laid down as the ONTARIO for the Canadian Steam Navigation Co, but was bought before commissioning by the French owned  Cie Franco-Americaine and named CADIZ. In Nov.1858 she was purchased by the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Nav.Co (P&O Line) and towed from Brest to Southampton. Registered by P&O on 31st Jan.1859 and renamed ELLORA, she was used on the Southampton - Alexandria run until about 1866, when she sailed from Point de Galle (Sri Lanka) to Mebourne and Sydney. Then used on the Suez - Bombay service and on 1st Nov.1873 left London for Suez, P.de Galle and Sydney. After this voyage she was used on the Melbourne to Sydney feeder service. Sold in 1876 at Melbourne and converted to sail, she eventually ended up in 1899 as a hulk at Panama. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O, Orient and Blue Anchor Lines] [North Star to Southern Cross by John M. Maber]

ELYSIA 1873
The ELYSIA was built by John Elder & Co, Glasgow (engines by Finnieston Steamship Works, Glasgow) in 1873 for the Anchor Line. She was a 2,733 gross ton ship, length 351ft x beam 35ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 100-1st, 40-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 28/6/1873, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Moville and New York on 11/10/1873. She commenced her 21st and last voyage on this service on 26/2/1876 and commenced London - New York crossings on 27/5/1876. She made 38 round voyages on this route, the last starting on 6/8/1881. Between 1881-1883 she made 2 voyages between Glasgow, Liverpool and Bombay and two to Calcutta. Between 1882-1885 she made five round voyages between Glasgow, Mediterranean ports, New York and Glasgow, and in 1883 was fitted with new compound engines and her 1st class passenger capacity reduced to 12. She made three London - Halifax - Boston sailings in 1885 and then transferred to the Mediterranean - New York service for 35 round voyages. Her last crossing started on 27/5/1897 when she left Genoa for Naples, Leghorn and New York (arr.6/7/1897). On 11/6/1898 she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.459]

EMPIRE DOON / EMPIRE ORWELL / GUNUNG DJATI see PRETORIA 1936

EMPIRE HALLADALE / SIERRA NEVADA see ANTONIO DELFINO 1921

EMPIRE PRIDE / CHARLTON PRIDE / CALGARIA / EMBASSY 1941
9248 gross tons, length 495ft x beam 64.3ft, twin screw, speed 15 knots. Launched 15th May 1941 by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, she was laid down as a cargo liner, but converted to a troopship while building. Completed for the Ministry of War Transport (managed by the Bibby Line) in Sep.1941 with accommodation for 1,600 troops, she was used in Madagascar, North Africa, Sicily and Southern France landings. She was employed on post war trooping to the Far East and Mediterranean areas. 1954 Withdrawn from service, sold and converted at Lubeck to a 10,250 ton cargo liner and renamed CHARLTON PRIDE for Charlton Steamship Co (Chandris Ltd), London. In 1956 she was sold to Donaldson Line Ltd, Glasgow and renamed CALGARIA with accommodation for 12-1st class passengers. Used on the UK - Canada service until early 1963 when she went to Fortaleza Cia.Nav. S.A, Greece and was renamed EMBASSY. Sold in June 1963 for scrapping at Hong Kong, she loaded a cargo of scrap at Liverpool and arrived at Hong Kong via Cuba on 9th Jul.1963 and was broken up. [The Empire Ships (second edition) by Mitchell & Sawyer] [Donaldson Line by P.J.Telford]

EMPIRE SAILOR / CELLINA 1926
was built in 1926 for Soc.Italia di Nav, Genoa as the CELLINA. On 10th June 1940 she was seized as a prize by Britain at Gibraltar and renamed EMPIRE SAILOR. She was torpedoed and sunk by the U.518 on 21st Nov.1942 south of Cape Race at 43.53N 55.12W in convoy ON145. As the CELLINA, she was a general cargo ship with accommodation for 43 passengers. The company operated services between Italy, South and Central America and New York.

EMPIRE SPEARHEAD / CAPE GIRARDEAU 1944
was an Infantry Landing Ship. 7177 gross tons, length 418ft x beam 60ft, speed 14 knots. Built in the USA by Consolidated Steel Corp, Wilmington, Delaware in 1944, she was launched as the CAPE GIRARDEAU. Transferred to the Ministry of War Transport the same year she was renamed EMPIRE SPEARHEAD, went to the Royal Navy in 1945, returned to MOWT in 1946 and then to the United States Maritime Commission. In 1948 she became the HAI MEI, and in 1950 reverted to EMPIRE SPEARHEAD. She is shown in 1951-52 Lloyds Register as owned by US Dept of Commerce, but I have no later info on this ship. [Empire Ships of World War II by Mitchell & Sawyer]

EMPIRE STATE / PRESIDENT WILSON / MARIA PIPA / CABO DE HORNOS 1920 Built by the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, NJ in 1920, she was a 12,599 gross ton ship, length 516.5ft x beam 72.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 320-1st class passengers. Launched on 4/8/1920 as the EMPIRE STATE for the United States Shipping Board, she was chartered to Pacific Mail and commenced her maiden voyage on 30/7/1921 when she left San Francisco for the Orient. In 1922 she was renamed PRESIDENT WILSON and continued on the same service. In 1925 she was purchased by the Dollar Line and used for the trans-Pacific service and in January 1927 sailed from San Francisco for Japan, China, Malaya, Ceylon, Suez Canal, Mediterranean and New York (arr.21/4/1922). On 24/4/1931 she started her last New York - round the world - New York voyage and resumed San Francisco - round the world - New York voyages in December 1935. On 13/2/1937 she commenced her last voyage from Los Angeles - round the world - New York sailing (arr.23/4/1937) and in 1938 was transferred to the American President Line. She was sold to Berge & Co, Spain in 1940 and renamed MARIA PIPA, resold to Ybarra & Cia, Spain the same year and renamed CABO DE HORNOS. Scrapped at Aviles, Spain in 1959. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1570] [Pacific Liners 1927-72 by Frederick Emmons]

EMPIRE TEST / THYSVILLE 1922
8,300 gross tons, length 459ft x beam 57ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots. Accommodation for 178-1st and 136-2nd class passengers. Built by John Cockerill, Hoboken for Cie Belge Maritime du Congo, she was launched as the THYSVILLE and commenced her maiden voyage from Antwerp to the Belgian Congo on 2nd Oct.1922. In 1930 the company was merged into Cie Maritime Belge (Lloyd Royal) and in 1940 on the invasion of Belgium by the Germans, she was operated by the Belgian Government on charter to the Allies. Acquired by the Ministry of Defence in 1947 for relief trooping, she was renamed EMPIRE TEST, and was painted white with a blue band round her hull, yellow funnel and cream masts. There was capacity for 800 passengers/troops. Her final trooping voyage took place in 1952 from the Middle East to Liverpool with the Devonshire Regiment and she was then scrapped at Faslane. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.34, Lamport & Holt Line]

EMPIRE TROOPER / CAP NORTE / SIERRA SALVADA 1922
13,615 gross tons, length 499.5ft x beam 64ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13.5 knots. Built with accommodation for 184-1st, 334-3rd and 1,368-steerage class passengers, Built in 1922 by Vulcan Werke, Hamburg, she was launched on 8th May 1922 as the CAP NORTE for the Hamburg South America Line. Her maiden voyage to South American ports and Buenos Aires started on 14th Sep.1922. Chartered to North German Lloyd in 1932, she was renamed SIERRA SALVADA until 1934 when she reverted to her original owners and name. At the outbreak of war on 3rd Sep.1939 she was at Pernambuco, and on 9th Oct, while attempting to reach Germany, she was intercepted by HMS BELFAST in severe weather north of Iceland. In order not to sacrifice lives, her commander did not order the ship to be scuttled, and she was boarded and captured. Converted to a troopship in 1940 and managed for the Ministry of War Transport by British India S.N.Co, she was damaged by gunfire by the German cruiser ADMIRAL HIPPER on 25th Dec.1940 while 700 miles west of Finisterre. The German ship was damaged and driven off by British cruisers and took refuge in Brest. In May 1942 she took part in the Madagascar landings. Rebuilt at Falmouth in 1949 to 14,106 tons with accommodation for 336-cabin passengers and 924 troops, she was painted white. Sold to Thos.W. Ward, Inverkeithing in 1955 for scrapping, she caught fire at anchor and sank. She was refloated on 19th June and scrapping commenced. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.11, British India S.N.Co]

EMPIRE WINDRUSH / MONTE ROSA 1930
Built by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg in 1930 as the "Monte Rosa" for the Hamburg South America Line. 13,882 gross tons, length 500.3ft x beam 65.7ft (152,49m x 20,02m), two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation for 1,372-tourist and 1,036 steerage class passengers. She carried a crew of 272. Launched on 4th Dec.1930 she left Hamburg on 21st Mar.1931 on her maiden voyage to South American and River Plate ports. At the outbreak of war in Sep.1939 she was at Hamburg and on 11th Jan.1940 was located at Stettin as a Naval accommodation ship. In 1942 she was used as a troopship between German and Danish / Norwegian ports and from Oct.1943 until Mar.1944 was used as a repair and accommodation ship at Altenfjord, Norway for the damaged battleship "Tirpitz". In Mar.1944 she was refitted as a troopship, but after striking a mine, was again refitted as a hospital ship. On 16th Feb.1945 she again struck a mine off Hela, was towed to Gdynia with a flooded engine room and listing badly. She made temporary repairs and was towed to Copenhagen with 5,000 refugees from the advancing Russian army. In May she was taken to Kiel and laid up until Nov.18th when she was captured as a British war prize. Repaired and refitted as a 14,414 gross ton troopship at South Shields, she was renamed "Empire Windrush" in 1946 and managed for the Ministry of Transport by the New Zealand Shipping Co. During her trooping service she made 13 round voyages to the Far East, 4 to India, 1 to the West Indies and 10 to the Mediterranean. Refitted in 1950 to 14,651 gross tons. On 28th Mar.1954 while on voyage from Yokohama to England, she caught fire in the Mediterranean near Cape Caxine, Algeria following an engine room explosion. 1,498 passengers and crew were saved and four died. The destroyer HMS Saintes tried to tow the ship to Gibraltar but she sank the following day.[Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.3] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7, New Zealand Shipping and Federal S.N.Co.]

EMPEROR NICHOLAS 1 (IMPERATOR NIKOLAI I) / AVJATOR / PIERRE LOTI 1913
5,642 g.t. passenger ship, 381.1ft x 51.8ft, twin screw, speed 14 knots. Built 1913 by John Brown & Co, Clydebank as the EMPEROR NICHOLAS 1 (IMPERATOR NIKOLAI I) for the Russian Steam Navigation Co., Odessa. Taken over in 1917 by the Russian Navy as a seaplane tender and renamed AVJATOR. Captured by the Germans at Sevastapol on 2nd May 1918 and abandoned in Nov.1918. Between 1919 and 1921 she was operated by the French Government and in 1922 sold to Soc. des Services Contractuels des Messageries Maritimes, Marseille and renamed PIERRE LOTI and used on the Levant service. 1936 transferred to the Sydney NSW - Indo-China feeder service. Aug.1940 seized by Free French authorities. 4th Nov.1940 taken over by Australian Government at Sydney and operated by the Ministry of War Transport, London, managed by Alfred Holt & Co, Liverpool (Blue Funnel Line). 12th Dec.1942 stranded on Laval Bank (Gabon Estuary) in position 00.47N 19.18E on voyage Lagos to Libreville and Walvis Bay with passengers. Aug. / Sep. 1943 abandoned as a total loss. [Register of Merchant Ships Constructed in 1913 by W. A. Schell] [Messageries Maritimes by Duncan Haws]

EMPRESS OF ASIA 1912
16,909 gross tons, length 570.2ft x beam 68.2ft, three funnels, two masts, quadruple screw, speed 19 knots, accommodation for 1,180 passengers. Built by Fairfield SB & Eng. Co., Glasgow, she was launched on 23rd Nov.1912 for Canadian Pacific and started her maiden voyage on 14th Jun.1913 when she left Liverpool for Cape Town and Hong Kong. Used on the Hong Kong - Nagasaki - Vancouver service until Aug.1914 when she was requisitioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. Mar.1916 returned to Canadian Pacific's transpacific route. May 1918 sailed Vancouver - Panama - New York and then made six transatlantic trooping voyages. Jan.1919 left Liverpool for Hong Kong and then resumed transpacific voyages. 11th Jan.1926 collided with and sank the steamer TUNG SHING at Shanghai. 1st Jan.1941 requisitioned at Vancouver for trooping after 307 transpacific voyages. 2nd Feb.1942 bombed and set on fire by Japanese dive bombers off Singapore. Abandoned, she drifted ashore west of Keppel Harbour where she burnt out. the wreck being scrapped in the 1950s. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws] [Wartime Disasters at Sea by David Williams]

EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA 1922 / EMPRESS OF CHINA 1921 / ADMIRAL VON TIRPITZ 1913 / TIRPITZ 1914
The EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA was a 21,833 gross ton ship, length 589.9ft x beam 75.2ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 19 knots. Accommodation for 400-1st, 144-tourist and 632-3rd class passengers. Built by AG Vulcan, Stettin as the ADMIRAL VON TIRPITZ for the Hamburg America Line, she was launched on 20th Dec.1913. Renamed TIRPITZ in Jan.1914, work on her ceased on the outbreak of war in 1914. Apportioned to Britain by the War Reparations Committee, she was completed in 1920 and was used for trooping duties and managed by P&O Line. Sold to Canadian Pacific in 1921, she was renamed EMPRESS OF CHINA, refitted and overhauled. In 1922 she was renamed EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA and on 16th Jun.1922 sailed from Clydebank via Panama to Vancouver. Used on the Vancouver - Japan - Hong Kong service and in Sep.1923 was involved in rescue work after the great Yokohama earthquake. On 4th Aug.1926 she sailed from Hong Kong via Suez to the Clyde, where she was re-engined and refitted for North Atlantic service. Her first Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec voyage started on 25th Jun.1927 and in May 1939 she was used to transport the King and Queen on the Royal Tour of Canada. Her last Quebec - Southampton crossing started on 2nd Sep.1939 and she was then employed as a troopship until 1952 when she was sold for scrap.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1317][Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA 1953 see DE GRASSE 1924

EMPRESS OF BRITAIN / MONTROYAL 1905
The EMPRESS OF BRITAIN was built for the Canadian Pacific Line by Fairfield Shipbuilding, Glasgow in 1905. She was a 14,189 gross ton vessel, length 548.8ft x beam 65.7ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 310-1st, 470-2nd and 750-3rd class passengers. Launched on 11th Nov. 1905 she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec on 5th May 1906. Both the EMPRESS OF BRITAIN and her sister ship, the ill-fated EMPRESS OF IRELAND were the fastest ships on the Canada service at the time. On 22nd July 1912, she rammed and sank the SS HELVETIA in fog off Cape Magdeleine in the lower St Lawrence River. In 1914 she was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser and joined Admiral Stoddart's squadron in the S.Atlantic. She later patrolled between Cape Finisterre and the Cape Verde Islands. In May 1915 she was recommisioned as a troop transport and carried more than 110,000 troops to the Dardanelles, Egypt and India as well as Canadian and US expeditionary forces across the N.Atlantic. On 12th Dec. 1915 while passing through the Straits of Gibraltar, she collided with and sank a Greek steamer. In March 1919 she resumed the Liverpool - St.John NB service for one round voyage and was then converted from coal to oil fuel and her passenger accommodation was modernised. On 1st Sept. 1920 she returned to the Liverpool - Quebec service and in Oct.1922 commenced running between Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec. In 1924 she was renamed MONTROYAL and her accommodation altered to carry 600-cabin and 800-3rd class passengers, returning to the Liverpool - Quebec service on 19th April 1924. In 1926 her accommodation was again altered to carry cabin, tourist and 3rd class and she made eight trips a year through 1926 and the following year was transferred to the Antwerp - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec route. She commenced her final voyage from Antwerp on 7th Sept. 1929 and was then laid up after making a total of 190 round voyages on the North Atlantic. On 17th June 1930 she was sold to the Stavanger Shipbreaking Co. and was scrapped. The owner of the Sola Strand Hotel bought the lounge from the shipbreakers and incorporated it into his hotel as the Montroyal Ballroom. The beautiful woodwork is still a feature of this building which now houses the Norwegian School for Hotel Management. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3, p.1309] [Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

EMPRESS OF BRITAIN 1930
42,348 gross tons, length 733.4ft x beam 97.9ft, three funnels, two masts, quadruple screw, speed 25 knots, accommodation for 465-1st, 260-tourist and 470-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co., Glasgow, she was launched for Canadian Pacific SS Co. by the Prince of Wales on 11th Jun.1930 and started her maiden voyage from Southampton to Cherbourg and Quebec on 27th May 1931. She was used for cruising in the winter. On 9th Aug.1934 she arrived at Cherbourg after a record crossing from Belle Isle in 4 days 7 hours. In June 1939 she carried King George VI and Queen Elizabeth on the Royal tour from Canada to Southampton. Requisitioned for trooping in Nov.1939, she was bombed by German aircraft and set on fire on 26th Oct.1940 off the Irish coast. Taken in tow, she was torpedoed twice by the U.32 and sank on 28th Oct. with the loss of 49 lives, the largest British merchant ship lost in WWII. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

EMPRESS OF BRITAIN / QUEEN ANNA MARIA / CARNIVALE 1956
25,516 gross tons, length 640ft x beam 85.2ft, one funnel, one mast, twin screw, speed 20 knots, accommodation for 160-1st and 894-tourist class passengers. Built by Fairfield SB & Eng. Co., Govan, she was launched for Canadian Pacific SS Co. on 22nd Jun.1955 by HM Queen Elizabeth II. 20th Apr.1956 maiden voyage Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal. On 10th Oct.1963 she completed her 123rd and last Canadian Pacific voyage and was then chartered to Travel Savings Association for cruising. Nov.1964 sold to Greek Line renamed QUEEN ANNA MARIA and rebuilt to 21,716 gross tons with accommodation for 168-1st and 1,145-tourist class passengers. Used on the Piraeus - Naples - New York and later on the Haifa - New York services. 1975 laid up at Piraeus and then sold to Carnival Cruise Lines and renamed CARNIVALE. Used for New York - Caribbean cruising. 1993 sold renamed FIESTAMARINA, 1994 renamed OLYMPIC, 1998 renamed THE TOPAZ. To shipbreakers at Alang, India on 4th July 2008 and Beached on 5th July. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

The Empress of Britain was 25,516 gross tons, length 640ft x beam 85.2ft, one funnel, one mast, twin propellers giving a speed 20 knots. There was accommodation for 160-1st and 894-tourist class passengers. Built by Fairfield SB & Eng. Co., Govan, she was launched for Canadian Pacific SS Co. on 22nd June 1955 by HM Queen Elizabeth II.
On 20th April 1956 she undertook her maiden voyage Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal.
On 10th Oct 1963 she completed her 123rd and last Canadian Pacific voyage and was then chartered to Travel Savings Association for cruising.
In Nov 1964 she was sold to Greek Line renamed Queen Anna Maria and rebuilt to 21,716 gross tons with accommodation for 168-1st and 1,145-tourist class passengers. She was used on the Piraeus - Naples - New York and later on the Haifa - New York services.
In 1975 she was laid up at Piraeus and then sold to Carnival Cruise Lines and renamed Carnivale for New York - Caribbean cruising. As Carnival were able to afford new tonnage, the Carnivale was sold to Fiesta Marine as the FiestaMarina but this was shortlived and the following year she was sold to Epirotiki Line as the Olympic.
In 1997 she was then sold to the Cyprus based Louis Cruise Line and renamed Topaz. She remains as the Topaz today but has sailed in a variety of guises for Thomson Cruise Line and latterly as a peace ship, chartered to Peace Boat. [submitted by Don Hazeldine]

EMPRESS OF CANADA 1920
21,517 gross tons, length 627ft x beam 77.8ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 18 knots, accommodation for 488-1st, 106-2nd, 238-3rd and 926-steerage class passengers. Built by Farfield SB & Eng. Co., Govan, she was launched on 17th Aug.1920 for Canadian Pacific SS Co. and started her maiden voyage on 5th May 1922 when she left Falmouth for Suez and Hong Kong. She was then used on the transpacific route. 30th Jan.1924 left New York on Canadian Pacific's first round-the-world cruise. 1928 re-engined to give a speed of 21 knots and in Sep.1929 made one round voyage Southampton - Quebec and then returned to her Vancouver ststion via Panama. Nov.1939 requisitioned for trooping after 200 Pacific crossings and in 1941 took part in the Spitzbergen raid. 14th Mar.1943 torpedoed and sunk in the South Atlantic by the Italian submarine LEONARDO DA VINCI with the loss of 392 lives. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

EMPRESS OF CANADA (2) 1947 see DUCHESS OF RICHMOND 1928

EMPRESS OF CANADA / MARDI GRAS 1961
27,284 gross tons, length 650ft x beam 86.9ft, one funnel, one mast, twin screw, speed 20 knots, accommodation for 192-1st and 856-tourist class passengers. Built by Vickers-Armstrong, Walker-on-Tyne for Canadian Pacific SS Co, she was launched on 10th May 1960 and sailed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool for Greenock, Quebec and Montreal on 24th Apr.1961. In Jan.1972 she was sold to Carnival Cruise Line, Panama and renamed MARDI GRAS. Subsequently used for cruising. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

EMPRESS OF CHINA 1891
5905 gross tons, length 455.7ft x beam 51.2ft, clipper bows, two funnels, three masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 50-1st. 150-2nd and 400-3rd class passengers. Built by Naval Construction & Armament Co., Barrow, she was launched on 25th Mar.1891 and left Liverpool on 15th July on her maiden voyage to Suez - Hong Kong and Vancouver and was subsequently used on the transpacific service (Canadian Pacific). On 27th July 1911 she struck Mera Reef, Tokyo in thick fog and was abandoned with no loss of life. Oct.1912 refloated, towed into Yokohama and scrapped. [Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

EMPRESS OF CHINA 1921 (1) see PRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM 1907

EMPRESS OF CHINA 1921 (2) see EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA 1922

EMPRESS OF ENGLAND / OCEAN MONARCH 1956
The EMPRESS OF ENGLAND was a 25,385 gross ton ship, length 640ft x beam 85.3ft, one funnel, one mast, twin screw and aspeed of 21 knots. There was accommodation for 158-1st and 900-tourist class passengers. Built by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd, Walker-on-Tyne, she was launched by Lady Eden (wife of the prime minister) for Canadian Pacific Line on 9th May 1956. Her maiden voyage started on 18th Apr.1957 when she left Liverpool for Quebec and Montreal. She continued this service until starting her last sailing on 14th Nov.1969 as well as making several cruises. Used solely on cruise work until March 1970, she was then sold to Shaw Savill and Albion and renamed OCEAN MONARCH. On 11th Apr.1970 she started a single round voyage from Southampton to Australia, was then refitted as a cruise liner. She commenced cruising in Oct.1971 and on 5th Nov. sailed to Auckland via Barbados, Curacao, Panama, Acapulco, Los Angeles, Vancouver, Honolulu, Tokelau and Fiji. She was then based at Auckland until 1973 when she commenced Pacific cruising out of Sydney. Withdrawn in June 1975, she sailed from Southampton for Kaohsiung, Taiwan where she was scrapped.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1320] [Canadian Pacific by George Musk] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.10, Shaw, Savill & Albion]

EMPRESS OF FRANCE (1) / ALSATIAN 1914
The first "Empress of France" was built by Wm Beardmore & Co Ltd.,Glasgow in 1913 as the "Alsatian" for the Allan Line. She was an 18,481 gross ton ship, length 571.4ft x beam 72.4ft, two funnels, two masts, four screws and a speed of 18 knots. She was the first North Atlantic liner with a cruiser stern. There was accommodation for 287-1st, 504-2nd and 848-3rd class passengers. Launched on 22/3/1913 as the "Alsatian" she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to St John NB for the Allan Line on 17/1/1914. On 22/5/1914 she commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec voyage and on 17/7/1914 started her last voyage on this service. On 7/8/1914 she became an Armed Merchant Cruiser and joined the 10th Cruiser Squadron patrolling off the Shetland Islands. She became flagship for Admiral De Chair and later for Vice Admiral Tucker and was one of the first ships to be fitted with the new wireless direction finding apparatus. After the squadron was retired in 1917, she was returned to Canadian Pacific Ocean Services, who now managed the combined Allan line and Canadian Pacific fleets. On 28/9/1918 she commenced her first voyage from Liverpool to Canada and after a second voyage on this service, was refitted at Glasgow. She was renamed "Empress of France" on 4/4/1919 and on 26th Sept. that year commenced her first voyage under her new name from Liverpool to Quebec. On 3/5/1922 she commenced sailing between Southampton, Cherbourg and Quebec and on 31/5/1922 between Hamburg, Southampton, Cherbourg and Quebec. In 1924 she was converted from coal to oil fuel, and in July 1926 her accommodation became 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class and was altered again Jan.1927 to 1st, tourist and 3rd class. On 29/9/1927 she started her last Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec voyage and on 8/9/1928, her last Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec voyage. On 31/10/1928 she left Southampton for Suez, Hong Kong and Vancouver and subsequently sailed on the Pacific until 17/10/1929 when she left Hong Kong for Liverpool. She started her final voyage from Southampton to Cherbourg and Quebec on 2/9/1931 and in Sept. of that year was laid up in the Clyde. She was scrapped at Dalmuir on 20/10/1934. In total, she had made 99 Atlantic voyages, 5 trans-Pacific, and 8 cruises as well as her war service. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1313] [Canadian Pacific - 100 years by George Musk]

EMPRESS OF FRANCE 1947 see DUCHESS OF BEDFORD 1928

EMPRESS OF INDIA / LOYALTY 1890
5905 gross tons, length 455.7ft x beam 51.2ft,clipper bows, two funnels, three masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 50-1st, 150-2nd and 400-3rd class passengers. Built by Naval Construction & Armament Co., Barrow, she was launched on 30th Aug.1890. Maiden voyage 8th Feb.1891 Liverpool - Suez - Hong Kong - Vancouver and then onto the Hong Kong - Shanghai - Nagasaki - Kobe - Yokohama - Vancouver service (Canadian Pacific). 17th Aug.1903 collided with and sank the Chinese cruiser HUANG TAI. 7th Dec.1914 purchased by the Maharajah of Gwalior and converted into a hospital ship for Indian troops. 19th Jan.1915 renamed LOYALTY. Mar.1919 sold to Scindia S.N. Co, Bombay. Feb.1923 sold for scrapping at Bombay.[Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

EMPRESS OF INDIA 1921 see PRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM 1907

EMPRESS OF IRELAND 1906
The EMPRESS OF IRELAND was involved in one of the worst peacetime shipping disasters of all time. She was a 14,191 gross ton ship, built by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co.Ltd, Glasgow in 1906 for the Canadian Pacific Railway Co, which later became CP Ships. Her details were - length 548.9ft x beam 65.7ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 310-1st, 470-2nd and 750-3rd class passengers. She was a sister ship to the first EMPRESS OF BRITAIN. Launched on 27/1/1906, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec on 29/6/1906. She made a total of 95 round voyages on the North Atlantic service, but on 29/5/1914, she was sunk in collision. The collision occurred at approx 2.30am when most of the 1,054 passengers and 413 crew were asleep. A few hours out of Quebec, while in the St Lawrence River, she was rammed and sunk by the 6,000 ton Norwegian collier STORSTAD. In less than 15 minutes the liner sank with the loss of 1014 lives, including a large contingent of Salvation Army delegates who were on their way to a conference in the UK, and within four miles of the riverbank. Over 400 were saved by the EUREKA and the LADY EVELYN. There was much conflicting evidence given at the subsequent enquiry, but it was established that the two vessels had sighted each other when more than three miles apart, before fog descended rapidly. When next seen, the collier, having altered course, was only feet away and collision was unavoidable. In 1964, the wreck was located by skin divers and many items from the wreck were salved and are now preserved at the Musee Maritime Bernier, L'Islet, Quebec. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1309] [Canadian Pacific 100 years by George Musk}

EMPRESS OF JAPAN 1890
(Canadian Pacific) Built by the Naval Construction & Armaments Co, Barrow, which became part of Vickers Armstrong Ltd, she was a 5,905 gross ton ship, length 456ft x beam 51ft, clipper stem, two funnels, three masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 160-1st class, 40-2nd class and up to 700-steerage passengers, mainly Asian immigrants. She carried a figurehead of a green and gold dragon, which together with the ship's bell is now in the Vancouver Maritime Museum, while a replica of the figurehead is in Stanley Park, Vancouver. Launched on 13th Dec.1890 by Lady Alice Stanley, daughter-in-law of the Governor-General of Canada, she sailed from Liverpool on 11th April 1891 and arrived in Vancouver via Suez on 2nd June. Used on the Vancouver - Japan - Hong Kong mail service until 1914 when she was fitted out as an Armed Auxiliaty Cruiser at Hong Kong. Returned to company service in 1916, and made her 315th and final Pacific crossing in 1922 arriving in Vancouver on 18th July. Laid up until 1925 when she was sold and scrapped the following year at North Vancouver.[Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

EMPRESS OF JAPAN / EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND / HANSEATIC 1929
26,032 gross tons, length 644ft x beam 83.9ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 22 knots, accommodation for 399-1st, 164-2nd,100-3rd and 510-steerage class passengers. Built by Fairfield SB & Eng. Co., Ltd, Govan, she was launched for Canadian Pacific SS Co on 17th Dec.1929 and started her maiden voyage on 14th Jun.1930 when she left Liverpool for Quebec and Southampton. On 12th July she sailed for Suez and Hong Kong and then joined the transpacific service Hong Kong - Yokohama - Vancouver. 1939 requisitioned for trooping duties, she was renamed EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND in 1942 after the entry of Japan into the war. Released to her owners in May 1948 she was rebuilt to 26,313 gross tons with accommodation for 458-1st and 250-tourist class passengers. 9th May 1950 first post war sailing Liverpool - Greenock - Quebec. Apr.1952 masts shortened to allow her to pass under the Quebec bridge and sail up to Montreal. Nov.1957 laid up at Liverpool. Jan.1958 sold to Hamburg America Line renamed HANSEATIC. Rebuilt to 30,030 gross tons with two funnels and placed on the Cuxhaven - Havre - Southampton - Cobh - New York service. 7th Sep.1966 caught fire at New York, towed to Hamburg and scrapped. [Merchant Fleets, vol.3 by Duncan Haws]

EMPRESS OF RUSSIA 1912
16,810 gross tons, length 570ft x beam 68ft, three funnels, two masts, quadruple screw and a speed of 19 knots. There was accommodation for 284-1st, 100-2nd and 800-steerage class passengers. Build by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Govan, she was launched for Canadian Pacific Line on 28th Aug.1912. She left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Hong Kong via Suez on 1st Apr.1913 and then started trans-Pacific voyages to Vancouver. On 23rd Aug.1914 she was requisitioned and converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser. Formed part of the squadron blockading German merchant ships in the Philippines and later transferred to the Indian Ocean where she met with the Australian cruiser HMAS SYDNEY and took aboard 230 survivors from the German cruiser EMDEN. In Dec.1914 she was switched to patrolling in the Red Sea and in Oct.1915 was released from government service, refitted at Hong Kong and returned to the trans-Pacific service on 12th Feb.1916. Requisitioned again in early 1918 to carry American troops to Europe. She left Liverpool on her last wartime voyage on 12th Jan.1919, called at Le Havre to pick up Chinese who had been used in labour battalions, for repatriation and then sailed via Suez for Hong Kong and then on to Vancouver. Her first peacetime voyage started 10th Apr.1919 when she called at Manila outward bound and Vladivostok on the return voyage. She continued trans-Pacific sailings until Dec.1940 when, after her 310th voyage, she was used for trooping Australian and New Zealand Air Force recruits to Canada for their initial training. Arrived in the Clyde in Mar.1941 where she was converted to a troopship. Utilised on the Freetown - Cape Town - Suez route outward, and Suez - Newport News - Halifax route homeward to bring Canadian troops to Europe. Used on various trooping duties, she was involved in the North Africa landings in 1943. Because she was the only large coal burning transport left in service, and with the scarcity of good firemen and good steam coal, she was transferred to special duties. In Oct.1943 she made a special trip to Gothenburg to exchange prisoners of war, followed by seven trips to Reykjavik for the RAF. In Apr.1944 she was used as an accommodation ship at Rosyth for Russian crews who were to take over a number of British warships, and then went to Spithead where she was used as a depot ship for tugs after the D-day landings. In Oct,1944 she went to Gareloch where she was laid up until Jun.1945 when work started on refitting her for use in repatriating Canadian troops. However, on 8th Sep.1945 she was gutted by fire at Barrow and was broken up by T. W. Ward & Sons.[Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND 1921 see KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA 1905

EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND 1942 see EMPRESS OF JAPAN 1929

EMPRESS QUEEN 1897
There was an EMPRESS QUEEN built in 1897 for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co. and there is a model of this ship owned by the City of Liverpool Maritime Museum. I don't know if this is the same ship, but it seems likely. P&A Campbell of Bristol also had a ship of this name but I think it was a much later vessel.

EMS / LAKE SIMCOE 1884
The EMS was a North German Lloyd vessel. She was built by John Elder & Co, Glasgow in 1884 and her details were - 4730 gross tons, length 429.8ft x beam 47ft, two funnels, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 125-1st, 130-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 27/2/1884, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 4/6/1884. In 1896 her masts were reduced to two and she commenced her last Bremen - New York voyage on 14/3/1896. On 16/4/1896 she was transferred to the Genoa - Naples - New York service until commencing her last voyage on 25/10/1900. In 1901 she was sold to Elder Dempster Line and renamed LAKE SIMCOE. She then ran on the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal and Liverpool - St John NB service. In 1903 she completed one voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal for Canadian Pacific Line and in 1905 was scrapped at Genoa. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p552]

ENTELLA 1883
2,244 gross tons, length 299.2ft x beam 37.2ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots, accommodation for 20-1st and 500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23rd May 1883 by Blackwood & Gordon, Glasgow for Raggio & Co. In Jan.1884 She was chartered to Navigazione Generale Italiana for a single voyage to Rangoon and in 1885 Raggio & Co was taken over by Navigazione Generale Italiana. Her first Girgenti - Palermo - New York voyage started on 23rd Jul.1885 and her 28th and last voyage on this route commenced 3rd May 1894. In 1910 she transferred to Soc. Nazionale di Servizi Marittimi and in 1913 moved to Societa di Nav.'Sicilia'. Scrapped in 1923. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1113] [Merchant Fleets vol.40 by Duncan Haws]

EQUITA / KNIGHT OF ST. JOHN / CHILE 1885
The EQUITA was built by Palmers Co Ltd, Jarrow-on-Tyne in 1885. She was a 3,369 gross ton ship, length 330ft x beam 43.5ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched in Aug.1885 as the KNIGHT OF ST.JOHN for British owners, she was purchased by Ottavio Zino of Savona, Italy in 1897 and renamed EQUITA. She started her first voyage between Genoa - Naples - New York on 14th May 1902 and her seventh and last sailing on this service commenced 26th Mar.1906. In 1908 she was renamed CHILE for the same owners and in 1912 was sold to Lloyd del Pacifico of Italy. She sailed between Italy and the west coast of South America until 26th Oct.1921 when she hit a mine in the Cerigo Channel, Greece and sank. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1278]

ERIDAN 1929
9,927 gross tons, 445.4ft x 61.1ft, two square funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 61-1st, 91-2nd class passengers and 1,200 troops in dormitories. Built 1929 by La Ciotat for Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles, initially used on the Marseilles - Beirut - Alexandria route. 1930 transferred to Dunkirk - Havre - Bordeaux - Lisbon - Algiers - Marseilles - Australia service. 1935 Marseilles - Panama - New Caledonia service. 1940 remained in Vichy French hands, used on Marseilles - Madagascar - Saigon route. Nov.1942 captured by U.S. troops at Oran and sent to Britain for conversion to troopship, managed by British India S.N. Co with French crew. Trooped to North Africa. 1945 trooped to Indo-China. 1951 refitted with single funnel and put on Indian Ocean passenger services. 1956 scrapped at La Seyne. [Merchant Fleets vol.36 by Duncan Haws]
The ERIDAN was launched for Messageries Maritime's Levant Line at La Ciotat on 3rd June 1928. She was a 9,927 gross ton ship, two square funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16  knots. There was passenger accommodation for 60-1st and 91-2nd class. She left Marseilles on 19th Nov.1929 on her maiden voyage to Alexandria and on 8th Mar.1939 was damaged in collision with the EMPRESS OF AUSTRALIA at Algiers. On 29th Dec.1945 she was badly damaged by fire in Saigon harbour. She was later refitted and left Marseilles again on 7th Sep.1951 with one oval funnel and accommodation for 84-1st and 100-2nd class passengers. She was sold in March 1956 and scrapped at La Seyne. [Sea Breezes Magazine, March 1957]

ERIN 1864
The ERIN was a 3,325 gross ton ship, length 370.4ft x beam 41.1ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne, for the National Line, she was launched on 18/6/1864. She sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on 2/8/1864 and in 1865 carried the survivors of the burnt out Inman Liner GLASGOW to New York. She commenced her first London - Havre - New York voyage on 25/6/1871. In 1872 she was rebuilt to 3,956 tons and in 1873 was fitted with compound engines by J.Penn & Son, London. She started her last London - New York voyage on 24/9/1876 and in 1876-77 was lengthened to 418.8ft, 4,577 tons, her saloon cabins rebuilt amidships, and with accommodation for 72-1st and 1,200-3rd class passengers. On 4/7/1877 she resumed the Liverpool - Queenstown - New York service and on 28/10/1879 commenced her last crossing on this route. She resumed London - New York sailings on 17/12/1879 and on 31/12/1889 left New York for London but went missing with the loss of 72 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.611]

ERISKAY 1969
Bulk carrier built by Scotts, Greenock in 1969 for John Swire & Sons but operated by China Navigation Co. 1978 renamed SIGANTO A.S. for Martria Maritime, Piraeus. 1980 she became ARGONAVI for Caribbean Chartering Co., Georgetown, 1982 transferred to Liberian registry. 1986 renamed SAMANA for Navegaceon Samana, Santo Domingo, 1990 sold to Panama renamed LOON, 1991 renamed CUMBERLAND SKY for McQuilkin Bros, St. Vincent & Grenadines, 1996 renamed KIMBERLY for Perseus Shipping Co., St. Vincent, 1997 scrapped at Chittagong.

ERL KING 1878
Owned by Robertson & Co, London but sailed under charter to Temperley Line 26/6/1878 London - Canada {1 voyage). Then chartered to Donaldson Line of Glasgow and sailed Glasgow - Canada 17/8/1878 and 9/10/1878 (2 voyages). Subsequently used on South America service by Donaldson Line. Wrecked 1891.

ERNIE PYLE / GREEN LAKE 1945
12,420 gross tons, length 523ft x beam 71.7ft, one funnel (engines aft), two masts, single screw, speed 16 knots. There was accommodation for 869 tourist class passengers. One of a class of 15 ships designated C4-S-A3, built as military transports, she was launched by the Kaiser Co Inc, Vancouver, Wash.on 25th June 1945. Originally fitted with accommodation for 3,800 troops, she was refitted for passengers and chartered to United States Lines and commenced New York - Havre voyages on 19th Jun.1946. On 26th Sep.1947 she started her first New York - Havre - Copenhagen - Oslo - Gdynia sailing under charter jointly to United States Lines and American Scantic. She started one further voyage on this route on 9th Dec.1947 and then went on to Hamburg - New York sailings, commencing her last in March 1949. Returned to the US Maritime Commission, she was laid up until 1965 when she was sold to Central Gulf SS Co, New Orleans, rebuilt as a 11,021 ton cargo ship and renamed GREEN LAKE. On 16th Nov.1978 she arrived at Taiwan where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.4, ISBN 0-85059-253- 4, contains photo of the ship]

ERNST MORITZ ARNDT / HABANA 1872
The only ship HABANA which I have records of was the ex-ERNST MORITZ ARNDT. This was built by T.B.Oswald & Co, Sunderland in 1872 for the German company, Baltischer Lloyd. She was a 2,597 gross ton ship, length 317ft x beam 38ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 22/8/1872 as the ERNST MORITZ ARNDT, she sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Havre and New York on 27/2/1873. She made 6 transatlantic voyages, the last starting on 28/5/1874 when she left Stettin for Antwerp and New York. In 1879 she was sold to Lopez of Spain and renamed HABANA. In 1881 she went to Cia.Trasatlantica Espanola. I don't know her history between 1879 and 1886, but from 1886-96, the company ran a feeder service between Havana and New York and the HABANA was, at various times employed on that route. She was scrapped in 1900. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.774/ vol.3, p.1245-6]

ERNY / NIITAKA MARU 1904
The ERNY was a 2,531 gross ton ship, length 294ft x beam 40.3ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 25-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow (engines by J.G.Kincaid & Co, Greenock), she was launched on 21st Sep.1904 for Unione Austriaca. She started her first New York voyage on 27th May 1905 when she left Trieste for the Azores and New York. Her eleventh and last North American voyage started 9th Mar.1907 from Trieste to Patras, Algiers and New York. Sold to Japan in 1912 she was renamed NIITAKA MARU and on 12th Jul.1943 was torpedoed and sunk by a US submarine west of Hokkaido Island, Japan. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3]

EROS 1936
5,888 gross ton refrigerated fruit carrier, length 415ft x beam 54.8ft, one funnel, two masts, speed 15 knots and accommodation for 12 passengers. Built 1936 by Harland & Wolff for Standard Fruit & S.S. Co. to carry bananas from Jamaica to the U.K and registered in Belfast. 1937 registered to Erin S.S. Co., 1939 registered to Morant S.S. Co. (these were subsidiary companies). After the outbreak of war she came under the control of the Ministry of War Transport and in 1940 was chartered to Elders & Fyffes Ltd. 1940 torpedoed but ran ashore, refloated and repaired. 3rd Nov.1940 attacked and damaged by German aircraft but repaired. 1945 returned to Morant S.S. Co., Kingston, Jamaica. 1946 Cunard named as agent for EROS which sailed from UK for Caribbean on 16th March. 1947 registered to Eros Transport Co, Halifax, NS (Standard Fruit Co.) and sailed under the Canadian flag. 1963 sold to Rigryth Ltd, Sydney, NSW renamed TRANGIE, 1964 transferred to Panamanian flag (same managers). Oct.1966 seized by Amoco Australia Ltd for unpaid bills. 1968 towed from Sydney to Kaohsiung, Taiwan where she was scrapped.

ESK (1) 1849
232 gross tons, length 112ft x beam 21.5ft, brigantine rigged, one funnel, two masts, wooden hull, single screw, speed 8.5 knots, accommodation for 29 passengers. Built 1849 by Robert Menzies, Leith and purchased on the stocks by Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. 10th Nov.1850 maiden voyage Southampton - Lisbon - Madeira - Cape Verde Islands- Pernambuco - Bahia - Rio de Janeiro. After 10 months she was withdrawn as too small and sent to St. Thomas for local inter island work. 1854 sold to Thomas Hill, Southampton, 1855 sold to Turkey, 9th Apr.1856 lost in Black Sea after leaving Constantinople. [Merchant Fleets. vol.5 by Duncan Haws]

ESK (2) 1882
2145 gross tons, length 309.5ft x beam 36.2ft, two funnels, two masts, clipper bows, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built 1882 by Barrow Shipbuilding Co., Barrow for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. and based at Barbados for the inter island service. 8th May 1902 arrived at St. Pierre after Mount Pelee erupted, but as she arrived s/s RORAIMA exploded and finding no signs of life, she left for St. Lucia to obtain help. 1910 scrapped at Firth of Forth. [Merchant Fleets. vol.5 by Duncan Haws]

ESPAGNE 1891
3,952 gross tons, 121.54m x 12.77m, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 17-1st, 88-2nd and 1,204-3rd class passengers. Launched on 8th Mar.1891 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne for Societe Generale de Transports Maritimes (SGTM), Marseilles, she started her maiden voyage Genoa - Marseilles - South America on 8th Aug.1891 and continued on this service. In 1907 she transferred to the subsidiary company Cie. de Navigation France-Amerique and was used on Marseilles - Spain - South America voyages. 1919 returned to SGTM and 1934 scrapped in Italy. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

ESPERANCE BAY / HOBSONS BAY 1922
The ESPERANCE BAY was built in 1922 by Vickers, Barrow for the Commonwealth Government Line as the HOBSONS BAY and was a sister ship to the famous JERVIS BAY. She was a 13,837 gross ton ship, length 549ft x beam 68.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 12 government sponsored 1st class passengers and 720-3rd class. There was also refrigerated cargo space for 360,000 cubic feet of frozen meat. Launched on 4th October 1921, she sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Brisbane on 28th February 1922. In 1928 she was sold to the White Star Line, registered at London,  managed by the Aberdeen Line and continued on the London - Australia service. Rebuilt in 1931 to 14,198 tons and with single class accommodation for 512 tourist class passengers. After the financial collapse of the Kylsant shipping organisation, to which she belonged, a new company, the Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line was formed in April 1933 to take over the remaining assets. The ships were then managed by Shaw Savill & Albion Line, but retained the green hulls and colours of the Aberdeen Line. In 1936, the original ESPERANCE BAY was transferred to Shaw Savill Line and renamed ARAWA and the HOBSONS BAY was renamed ESPERANCE BAY. In September 1939 she was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser at Brisbane and Cape Town and in 1941 was fitted out as a troop ship. Reconditioned after the war to 14,343 tons, she resumed the London - Southampton - Malta - Port Said - Aden - Columbo - Fremantle - Melbourne - Sydney emigrant service. On July 6th 1955 she arrived at Faslane for breaking up. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.2,p.174]

ESPRESSO / COLOMBO / NAPOLI 1870
1,865 gross tons, length 91.09m x beam 10.82m (298.9ft x 35.5ft), one funnel, four masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots, accommodation for 34-1st and 900-3rd class passengers. Launched on 27th Sep.1870 by Wigham Richardson & Co, Walker-on-Tyne as the ESPRESSO for Captain Lavarello. Genoa. Her maiden voyage started 23rd Feb.1871 when she left Genoa for Marseilles, Cadiz, Tenerife (for bunkers), Montevideo and Buenos Aires. She completed the voyage to Montevideo in 30 days. In 1871, the company became G. B. Lavarello & Co. By 1874, with the advent of faster ships, the name ESPRESSO was no longer appropriate and she was renamed COLOMBO (after Cristopher Columbus). In 1883 the firm of Lavarello went into liquidation and the COLOMBO was taken over by M. Bruzzo & Co and continued sailings from Genoa to South America. Matteo Bruzzo went into partnership in 1884 to form La Veloce Line and the COLOMBO was rebuilt and renamed NAPOLI. On 5th Dec.1893 she was abandoned and sank off the coast of Brazil. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

ESTONIA / YORKSHIRE / INDIEN 1889
This was a 4,269 gross ton ship built as the YORKSHIRE for the Bibby Line. Her details were - length 400.7ft x beam 45.2ft, straight stem, one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched on 27th Jul.1889 and was immediately chartered to the Anchor Line and left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to New York with cargo only, on 12th Oct.1889. She was chartered to the Dominion Line in 1898 and commenced her first voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 21st Apr.1898. She commenced her fifth and last voyage on this service on 8th Sep.1898 and in 1905 was sold to the East Asiatic Line of Denmark and renamed INDIEN. In 1907 she went to the Russian American Line, was renamed ESTONIA and commenced her first Libau - Rotterdam - New York voyage on 17th Jun.1907. On 18th Mar.1912 she started her last Libau - Copenhagen - Halifax - New York crossing and was then transferred to the Far East service. On 16th Jan.1913 she was abandoned on fire at sea near Port Sudan and on 23rd Jan.1913 was sunk with explosives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.808; vol.3,p.1355]

ETHELRED 1890
Built 1890 by Workman Clark, Belfast, her dimensions were - length 208.1ft x beam 12.7ft, speed 12.5 knots and accommodation for 30 passengers. Owned by Colvis, Lowden & Co, Glasgow, she was chartered to Boston Fruit Co. Later sold to North American Mail SS Co, but remained on charter to fruit companies. Passed into the fleet of United Fruit with the merger of the fruit companies in 1899 on charter from the owners. After initial service from Boston to Jamaica, she was transferred in 1892 to work from Philadelphia until later transferred to Baltimore. She was wrecked in 1904 after running ashore on Gallant Point, Jamaica in a hurricane. [Going Bananas, 100 years of American fruit ships in the Caribbean, by Mark H.Goldberg]

ETHIOPIA 1873
The ETHIOPIA was a 4,005 gross ton ship, length 402ft x beam 40.2ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 200-1st, 100-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, (engines by D.& W. Henderson Ltd, Glasgow), she was launched for the Anchor Line on 12th Aug.1873. Her maiden voyage started 13th Dec.1873 when she left Glasgow for Moville, Ireland and New York. On 6th Nov.1874 she was sold to Barrow Steamship Co, but continued in Anchor Line service and in 1884 was fitted with new compound engines. Repurchased by Anchor LIne in 1893 and started her last Glasgow - Moville - New York sailing on 24th May 1907 having made 279 round voyages on this service. In August 1907 she was scrapped at Cherbourg. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.459]

ETNA / CITY OF BRISTOL / MESSICO / SEMPIONE / ADRIA 1854
The ETNA was built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1854 for the Cunard Line. She was a 2,215 gross ton ship, length 305ft x beam 37.6ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. She was launched on 26/8/1854 and arrived at Liverpool from the Clyde on 21/1/1855. Immediately taken over for use as a Crimean War Transport and returned to Cunard in 1856. On 5/2/1856 she commenced the first of two voyages between Havre, Halifax and New York. On 24/2/1857 she sailed from Southampton for Alexandria under charter to the European & Australian R.M. Line. She started her last voyage on this service on 12/8/1857 and commenced Cunard Liverpool - New York sailings on 15/1/1859. Her last Liverpool - Halifax - Boston - New York voyage started on 29/9/1860 and she was then sold to the Inman Line. She commenced her first voyage for Inman Line on 5/12/1860 when she sailed from Liverpool for Queenstown and New York, and started her last Liverpool - Queenstown - Halifax - Boston - New York sailing on 8/10/1870. In 1871 she was rebuilt to 2,655 gross tons, lengthened to 349.4ft and fitted with compound engines by Laird Bros, Birkenhead. She was then renamed CITY OF BRISTOL. On 8/8/1871 she resumed the Liverpool - Queenstown - New York service and started her last voyage on this route on 26/8/1873. She was chartered to the American Line for a single Liverpool - Philadelphia voyage in September 1875 and on 29/10/1875 commenced a single Bordeaux - New York round voyage for Inman Line. Between 1876-79 she made three Liverpool - Philadelphia voyages for American Line, and between June 1879 and December 1880 made eight Liverpool - New York voyages. In 1881 she was sold to Italian owners and renamed MESSICO, in 1883 she became the Italian SEMPIONE and in 1884 the Italian ADRIA. She was scrapped in Italy in 1896. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.144]

ETOILE DU CHILE / LA SEYNE 1873
2,379 gross tons, length 312.3ft x beam 38ft x depth 29ft (95.17m x 11.58m x 8.84m), iron hull, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne, France, she was launched on 25th Jan.1873 for Societe Germain Freres as the ETOILE DU CHILE. 1876 sold to Messageries Maritimes, renamed LA SEYNE for use as a feeder vessel carrying passengers from smaller ports to the main ports in the Far East, she initially served in the Mediterranean. 1888 refitted for Far East service and painted white. 14th Nov.1909 while on the Bataan - Singapore service she sank two minutes after colliding with British India Steam Navigation Co. ship ONDA in the Rhio Strait, 30 miles from Singapore with the loss of 101 lives.(61 saved) [Merchant Fleets, vol.36 by Duncan Haws] [Dictionary of Disasters at Sea by C. Hocking]

ETRURIA 1884
8,128 gross tons, length overall 519ft x beam 57.2ft, two funnels, three masts (rigged for sails), single screw and a service speed of 19 knots. She consumed 315 tons of coal per day. There was accommodation for 550-1st and 800-2nd class passengers. Built by John Elder & Co, Fairfield for the Cunard Steamship Co, she was a sister ship to the UMBRIA. Launched on 20th Sep.1884, her trials were followed by a 'shakedown' delivery cruise to Liverpool and she was then hurriedly prepared as an Armed Merchant Cruiser, but the order to install guns was cancelled and she was returned to her owners. On 24th Apr.1885 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. She made several record passages, the fastest being in May 1888 from Queenstown to Sandy Hook, NY in 6days 1hr 55min at an average speed of 19.56 knots. Refitted in 1893, her sailing rig was removed and her accommodation altered to carry 500-1st, 160-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. In 1897 she attended Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee 'Pageant of Shipping' in the River Mersey. Fitted with wireless in 1901 and in 1902 she lost her propeller. Rigged with jury staysails she tried to sail to the Azores, but the SS WILLIAM CLIFF took her in tow to Fayal, Azores. Cunard chartered the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co ship EBRO to bring home the passengers while the ETRURIA was towed to Liverpool. In Oct.1906 she left New York in fog, was forced to anchor and was collided with by the liner MINNEHAHA. Repaired, she continued service until starting her final voyage to New York on 9th Sep.1909. Laid up at Liverpool, she was sold in November 1909 and scrapped at Preston.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.12, Cunard Line]

EUGENIA 1906
The EUGENIA was a 4,835 gross ton ship, built in 1906 by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow (engines by D.Rowan & Co, Glasgow) for the Austrian owned company, Unione Austriaca of Trieste. Her details were - length 385ft x beam 49.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 15-1st and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Launched on 7/9/1906, she sailed from Trieste on her maiden voyage to Patras, Palermo and New York on 21/2/1907. She continued Mediterranean - New York voyages until commencing her last sailing on this route on 19/7/1913. On 6/8/1917 she was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine off SW Ireland. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1330]

EURIPIDES / AKAROA 1914
The EURIPIDES was a 14,947 gross ton ship built in 1914 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Aberdeen and Commonwealth Line. Her details were - length 550.7ft x beam 67.4ft (167,85m x 54,00m), one funnel, two masts, refrigerated cargo space, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 140-1st, 334-2nd and 750-3rd class passengers. Launched on 29th Jan.1914, she was the company's largest ship and made a "shake down" cruise in June with guests. Her maiden voyage from London to Brisbane started on 1st July and she arrived on 24th August. On 26th Aug.1914 she was taken over at Brisbane for Australian trooping duties, but reverted to UK government control in 1915 and continued London - Australia voyages, her third class accommodation being used mainly for troops. In Feb.1919 she commenced repatriating Australian troops, and during this and her war service steamed 208,307 miles and carried 38,439 troops. After overhaul at Belfast she resumed the Aberdeen Line's London - Australia service in Nov.1920. In March 1923 she made the company's last inbound call at Plymouth and subsequently sailed direct to Southampton. She was laid up in the Clyde for five months in 1927 and then went into the Liverpool - Australia joint service of the Blue Funnel and White Star-Aberdeen Line. In 1929 she was transferred to White Star's Oceanic Steam Navigation Co managemant and in July 1932 was taken over by Shaw Savill & Albion. Rebuilt to 15,128 gross tons by Hawthorn Leslie & Co, and with accommodation for 200-cabin class passengers she was fitted with a swimming pool, her 3rd class accommodation converted to cargo space, her engines converted from coal to oil burning and she was renamed AKAROA. She entered Shaw Savill & Albion's Southampton - Panama - Wellington service on 28th Feb.1933 and in November made her fastest passage to New Zealand in 37 days. Between 1939-45 she remained in commercial service under the Ministry of War Transport and was reconditioned on the Tyne in 1945 to 15,320 gross tons and with accommodation for 190-cabin class passengers. Her final sailing to Wellington started on 2nd Jan.1954 and in May of that year she went to shipbreakers at Antwerp.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.17, Aberdeen and Aberdeen & Commonwealth Lines]

EUROPA 1847
The EUROPA was built in 1847 by John Wood, Port Glasgow (engines by Robert Napier, Glasgow) for the Cunard Line. She was a 1,834 gross ton ship, length 251 ft x beam 38ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), wooden construction, side paddle wheel propulsion and a service speed of 10 knots. There was capacity for 140-1st class passengers. Launched on 22/9/1847, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Halifax and Boston on 15/7/1848. On 2/9/1848 she commenced her first Liverpool - Halifax - New York voyage and subsequently sailed to either New York or Boston. She held the Blue Riband of the Atlantic for a while in 1848 for the fastest westbound crossing between Liverpool and Halifax of 8 days 23 hours. On 27/6/1849 she collided with and sank the US emigrant ship CHARLES BARTLETT with the loss of 135 lives. Her mizzen (third) mast was removed in 1853, and in 1854 she was used as a transport ship for the Crimean War. On 14/8/1858 she collided with the Cunard ship ARABIA off Cape Race, damaging both ships and the EUROPA put into St John's NF for repairs. On 3/2/1866 she commenced her last Liverpool - Halifax - Boston voyage and was sold the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.142]

EUROPA 1867
The EUROPA was a 1,840 gross ton ship, length 290.4ft x beam 33.7ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st and 540-3rd class passengers. Built by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow (engines by Finnieston Steamship Works, Glasgow), she was launched  for the Anchor Line on 1st Aug.1867. Her maiden voyage started 25th Sep.1867 when she sailed from Glasgow for New York. In 1874 she was lengthened to 338.5ft, 2,277 gross tons, fitted with compound engines and square rigged on the foremast only. On 17th Jun.1874 she resumed the Glasgow - New York service and made two round voyages on this route before sailing from Glasgow in Sep.1874 for Trieste, Patras, New York and Glasgow. After this voyage she transferred to the Glasgow - Liverpool - Bombay service in May 1875 and made 10 complete round voyages on this route. On 17th Jul.1878 while on voyage between Gibraltar and Liverpool, she was sunk in collision with the London & Edinburgh Line steamer STAFFA in fog near Cape Finisterre.  [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.453-4][Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line]

EUROPA 1879
The EUROPA was a 1,533 gross ton ship, length 260.1ft x beam 33.8ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 150-steerage class passengers. Built by C. Mitchell & Co, Walker-on-Tyne (engines by Blair & Co, Stockton), she was launched on 12th Nov.1879 for the Carr Line, Hamburg. Used for cargo duties until 6th Aug,1884 when she started her first Hamburg - New York voyage. In 1891 she transferred to Hamburg America Line and in 1893 was sold to Witt & Busch, Hamburg, but continued on the Hamburg - New York service. 1901 sold to J. H. A. Dabelstein. 1914 scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Merchant Fleets vol.4 by Duncan Haws]

EUROPA 1907
The EUROPA was a 7,870 gross ton ship, length 454.7ft x beam 53.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 116-1st and 2,400-3rd class passengers. Built by Cantieri Navale Siciliani, Palermo (engines by Ansaldo, Armstrong & Co, Sestri Ponente), she was launched for La Veloce, Genoa on 10th Mar.1907. Her maiden voyage started on 7th May 1907 when she left Genoa for Naples and New York. In 1913 her first class accommodation was downgraded to second class and her last New York voyage started in Oct.1915. After the Armistice she made 3 New York sailings in 1919, 1 in 1920, 2 in 1921 and 2 in 1922. Between these voyages she was employed on the West Coast of South America service. In 1922 she was sold to Navigazione Generale Italiana and was scrapped in 1927. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1272]

EUROPA 1917 see LAURA 1907

EUROPA / LIBERTE 1928
The famous German express liner EUROPA was built by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg in 1928 for North German Lloyd. She was a 49,746 gross ton ship, overall length 936.9ft x beam 102.1ft, two funnels, two masts, four screws and a speed of 27 knots.There was accommodation for 723-1st, 500-2nd, 300-tourist 3rd class, and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 15th Aug.1928, she was damaged by a serious fire on 26th Mar.1929 while fitting out and didn't start her maiden voyage until 19th Mar.1930 when she left Bremen for Southampton and New York. She made record passages betwwen Cherbourg and Ambrose in 1930, her best being 4 days 16 hours 48 mins and held the Blue Riband of the Atlantic until 1933, when it was taken by the Italian liner REX. In Mar.1934 her 2nd class accommodation became tourist class, amd in 1936 was refitted to become cabin, tourist and 3rd class. Her last Bremen - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York sailing started on 10th Aug.1939 and on the outbreak of war, she was laid up at Bremerhaven and was used as an accommodation ship. Seized by the USA on 8th May 1945, she sailed from Bremen on 13th Sep.1945 for Southampton and New York with 6,500 troops, and subsequently made further voyages repatriating troops to the USA. Awarded to France under the war reparations scheme in 1946, she was scuttled at Le Havre on 9th Dec.1946 after breaking loose from her moorings in a gale. Refloated in 1947, she was reconstructed to 51,839 gross tons with passenger accommodation for 553-1st, 500-cabin and 444-tourist class and renamed LIBERTE. She started her first Havre - New York sailing on 17th Aug.1950, was fitted with new funnels in 1954 and on 2nd Nov.1961 started her final Havre - New York - Havre voyage. Laid up at Havre until 25th Jan.1962 when she sailed for Spezia and the scrapyard.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.573-4]

EUROPE 1864
The EUROPE was a 3,400 gross ton ship, length 346.6ft x beam 43.8ft, two funnels, two masts, iron hull, side paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 128-1st, 54-2nd and 29-3rd class passengers. Built by Scott & Co, Greenock (engines by Greenock Foundry Co), she was launched for Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line) on 22nd Jul.1864. Her maiden voyage started on 3rd May 1865 when she left Havre for New York and she started her eighteenth and last voyage on this route on 12th Mar.1869. In 1873 she was rebuilt to 4,600 tons, lengthened to 394 feet and converted from paddle wheel to screw propulsion, At the same time, a third mast was added. She resumed Havre - New York voyages on 28th Aug.1873 and on 3rd Apr.1874 was abandoned in the North Atlantic after springing a leak and sank about three weeks later.[North Atlantic Seaway vol.2 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Merchant Fleets, vol.30 by Duncan Haws]

EVANGELINE / TENNYSON / VALPARAISO 1900
3,901 gross tons, length 371.5ft x beam 45.2ft, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 70-1st, 24-2nd and 48-3rd class passengers. Built by Alex.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, she was completed for Furness, Withy & Co in Oct.1900 as the EVANGELINE. Used on their Liverpool - Halifax - St.John NB service, she proved to be too large for the route and to have too much passenger capacity. Sold to Lamport & Holt Line in 1902, and renamed TENNYSON, she was placed on their New York - Brazil - River Plate passenger service. With the advent of new ships in 1906, the TENNYSON's route terminated at Santos. In Sep.1914 she was taken over by the Admiralty and employed as a convoy commodore ship, and in 1922 was sold to Soc.Anon Commercial Braun & Blanchard, Chile, renamed VALPARAISO and used on Chilean coastal services. Scrapped in Italy in 1932. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.34, Lamport & Holt Line]

EVERTON GRANGE / WESTMEATH / NORDICO 1903
8,096 gross tons, length 475ft x beam 56ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 204-3rd class passengers. Launched on 15th Feb.1903 by Furness, Withy & Co., West Hartlepool for the Empire Transport Co. (Houlder Bros). Used on the UK - Australia service, she was also used to transport horses from Australia to Japan. In 1905 she transferred to the joint Federal-Houlder- Shire Line service which operated from the UK to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Auckland, Wellington, Lyttelton and Port Chalmers via Teneriffe or Las Palmas and Cape Town. Transferred to the New Zealand Shipping Co. in 1912 and renamed WESTMEATH. 1913 transferred to the Union S.S.Co of New Zealand, but continued to be managed by N.Z.S.Co. 15th July 1917 torpedoed by UC.48 in the English Channel, but reached port and repaired. 1925 sold to Soc. Ligure di Nav. a Vapeur, Genoa, renamed NORDICO. 1927 sold to E. Frateli Bozzo, Genoa. 1932 scrapped at Genoa. [Merchant Fleets, vol.38 by Duncan Haws.] There is a photo of the ship attributed to Bristol Museum in a book "North Star to Southern Cross" by John M. Maber which you should be able to obtain on inter library loan.

EXCALIBUR / JOSEPH HEWES 1931
This was the EXCALIBUR, 9,359 gross tons, length 450ft x beam 61.6ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 16 knots. Accommodation for 100-1st class passengers (later increased to 147). Built by the New York Shipbuilding Corp, Camden, NJ, she was launched for the American Export Line on 15th Aug.1930. Her maiden voyage started on 24th Jan.1931 when she left New York for Marseilles, Naples, Alexandria, Jaffa, Haifa, Beirut, Alexandria, Naples, Leghorn, Genoa, Marseilles and New York. Her last crossing from Genoa to Alexandria, Lisbon and New York started on 5th Jun.1940 and on 18th Jul.1940 she commenced New York - Lisbon sailings. Her last published sailing was from Lisbon on 7th Nov.1941 for Bermuda and New York but she probably made one more. In Dec.1941 she transferred to the US Navy and was renamed JOSEPH HEWES. She was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine off Casablanca on 11th Nov.1942.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1588]

EXPLORER / CROCUS 1873
The EXPLORER was a 2010 gross ton ship built in 1873 by R.& J. Evans, Liverpool for Hargroves, Ferguson & Co. as the CROCUS. She was a small tramp ship, length 300ft x beam 35ft, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 9 knots. Used on the India trade, she was purchased by the Charente Steamship Co., Liverpool (T & J. Harrison) in 1877 and renamed EXPLORER. 1893-94 used on the Galveston - Liverpool cotton trade. Sold to Pacific Steam Navigation Co. in August 1906 and used as a coal hulk at Panama until later towed to Valparaiso and used for the same purpose.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, Thos.& Jas. Harrison]

EXPLORER 1935
O.N.164257, 6,236 gross tons, 437.2ft x 56.0ft x 32.2ft, speed 13 knots. Launched 2nd Apr.1935 by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend (Yard No.1497) for T. & J. Harrison, Liverpool and sailed to South and East Africa on her maiden voyage. 17th Jun.1941 ran ashore on Isle of Taree while on passage Belfast to Glasgow but refloated. Nov.1941 joined one of the first convoys to North Russia. 27th Apr.1942 collided with Swedish ship KAAPAREN on voyage Loch Ewe to Halifax - extensive damage to both ships. 6th Feb.1945 collided with FORT KOOTENAY in the Thames estuary on voyage Grevesend to Cardiff, returned to Gravesend and discharged cement cargo. Repairs took three months. May 1945 chartered to Royal Mail Line. 9th Feb.1952 disabled in position 05.10N 50.12W with fractured tail shaft and towed to Port of Spain by Harrison's CROFTER. 29th Mar.1957 damaged bu fire in cotton cargo at Alexandra Dock, Liverpool. Dec.1957 sold to Panamanian Oriental SS Corp, Panama (Wheelock Marden & Co, Hong Kong) renamed ELEANOR. 1959 scrapped at Hong Kong. [Harrisons of Liverpool by Graeme Cubbin]

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: July 28, 2010 and maintained by and M. Kohli