FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - F

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

FAIRSKY / BARNES / ATTACKER / CASTEL FORTE 1941
The FAIRSKY was built by the Western Pipe & Steel Co., San Francisco for Isthmian SS Co. in 1941 as the cargo vessel STEEL ARTISAN. She was taken over by the US Navy and continued under construction as the auxiliary aircraft carrier USS BARNES. On 30th September 1942 she was handed over to the Royal Navy and renamed HMS ATTACKER. Returned to the US Navy in 1946, she was laid up until 1952 when she was sold to Sitmar Line, Rome and reconstructed as a 7,800 gross ton cargo vessel, renamed CASTEL FORTE and registered in Panama. In 1957 she was rebuilt as a 12,464 ton passenger ship at New York and later Genoa. Renamed FAIRSKY in 1958 and registered in Panama, she made her first Southampton - Sydney voyage on June 28th 1958. In 1959 she was renamed FAIR SKY (two words) and in 1966 commenced Southampton - Eastbound round-the-world voyages. In 1968 she was re-registered in Liberia. She was laid up at Genoa in 1972 and in 1974 became a full time cruise ship operating out of Sydney. On 23rd Jun.1977 was damaged by striking the submerged wreck of the m/s KLINGI off Djakarta. Sold for scrapping at Hong Kong, she was resold in 1978 to Panama Tourist Shipping Co, Manila for use as a floating hotel. On 3rd Nov.1979 she caught fire and was destroyed. The wreck was scrapped at Hong Kong in 1980. [Pacific Liners 1927-72 by Frederick Emmons] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vols.5 & 6]

FANTEE / ITALIAN / ROLLO 1899
3,649 gross tons, length 345ft x beam 44ft, one funnel, two masts, speed 12½ knots, built with accommodation for 76-1st and 40-2nd class passengers.
Launched 1899 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow as the FANTEE for African Steamship Co (Elder, Dempster & Co.), Liverpool. 1901 holed by submerged rock at Cape Palmas, Liberia and looted by natives until the arrival of HMS DWARF. May 1904 ran aground at Douala, Cameroons, but towed off by Elder Dempster's s/s EGGA. 1913 sold to Ellerman & Papayanni Line, Liverpool, fitted with accommodation for 61-1st and 256-3rd class passengers and renamed ITALIAN. 1920 transferred to Ellerman's Wilson Line, Hull, 1st-class accommodation reduced to 40 and renamed ROLLO. July 1928 laid up at Hull until Sep.1932 when towed to Copenhagen and scrapped.

FEDERICO C 1957
20,416 gross tons, length 605.7ft x beam 78.9ft, one funnel, one mast, twin screw, speed 22 knots, accommodation for 264-1st, 202-cabin and 672-tourist class passengers. Launched 31st Mar.1957 by Ansaldo SA, Genoa for Costa Line, Genoa, she was initially used on the Genoa - Buenos Aires service. On 22nd Mar.1958 she started her first voyage Naples - Genoa - Barcelona - Madeira - La Guaira - Port Everglades - Madeira - Barcelona - Cannes - Genoa - Naples. 1968 converted to carry 186-1st and 1,450-tourist class passengers. Her last regular voyage on this service started on 5th Dec.1971. 1983 sold to Premier Cruise Line, Panama for cruising from US ports, renamed ROYALE. Later renamed STAR SHIP ROYALE, 1988 renamed SEA BREEZE, 2000 sank off US coast in bad weather (no passengers), crew saved by helicopter.

FIERY STAR 1865
There is an account of the burning of the FIERY STAR in "The Colonial Clippers" by Basil Lubbock. He sates that the ship left Moreton Bay for London on 1st April 1865, and on 19th April, fire was discovered in the lower hold while 400 miles from Chatham Island. Captain Yule had all hatchways and ventilation pipes blocked with wetted sails and a steam pump was rigged, but the fire gained ground and on the 20th, the four remaining lifeboats (2 had been destroyed in bad weather a few days previously) were launched. The first mate (Mr Sargeant), 4 able seamen and 13 apprentices agreed to stand by the ship as there was insufficient room in the boats, while 78 passengers and crew, together with the captain left in the lifeboats.  The mate continued to fight the fire and altered course to get into the track of other ships. For 21 days they fought the flames and gales until 11th May when they were sighted and rescued by the DAUNTLESS and the FIERY STAR was abandoned.

FIFESHIRE 1898
The FIFESHIRE was a 5,672 gross ton ship, length 420ft x beam 54ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 11 knots. Completed Dec.1898 by Clydebank Engineering & Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow for the Elderslie S.S. Co (Turnbull, Martin & Co.). Used on the UK - Australia - New Zealand service, her ownership was transferred to Scottish Shire Line Ltd in 1911. In June 1911 she left Melbourne and Adelaide with 105 passengers and crew and at 22.30 on 9th Aug. in hazy conditions, she grounded 20 miles south of Cape Gardafui, Gulf of Aden. A lifeboat was sent to bring assistance and this was picked up 200 miles away by the ARDANDEARG. Meanwhile, the sea rose and and the FIFESHIRE became dangerous. On Aug.11th the ship was abandoned and four lifeboats were launched. Next morning, the Captain's boat was alone. The French ship ADOUR had picked up two and now rescued the Captain's boat. The last boat, with the second officer in charge was never found and 24 were lost including 10 passengers.

FINLAND 1902
The FINLAND was a 12,760 ton vessel built in 1902 by W.Cramp & sons of Philadelphia for the Red Star Line. Her dimensions were 560ft x 60.2ft and she had a straight stem, two funnels and four masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 342 1st, 194 2nd and 626 3rd class passengers. She sailed under the American flag between New York and Antwerp until 1909 when she was transferred to the Belgian flag. In March 1909 she was used on the Naples - NY service by the White Star Line until June of that year. In 1912 she reverted to the US flag and was employed between Antwerp and NY until 1914 when she went on the NY - Naples - Piraeus run. In 1915 she was used by Panama Pacific Line between NY - Panama - San Francisco and later the same year for the American Line between NY - Falmouth - London. In 1916 employed by the same company on their NY - Liverpool run. When America entered the war in 1917 she was taken over as a US troopship until torpedoed 150 miles from the French coast. She reached St Nazaire where she was repaired. In 1919 she was altered to accommodate 242 1st, 310 2nd and 876 3rd class passengers and was employed between NY - Southampton and Antwerp for Red Star Line. In 1923 she was used again by American Line for their NY - Plymouth - Cherbourg -Hamburg. In 1923 transferred again to Panama Pacific Line for the NY - San Francisco service. Finally scrapped in 1928 at Blyth.

FLORIDA 1882
The FLORIDA was a 3,138 gross ton steamship, iron hull, speed 12 knots. Built 1882 by Mitchell, Newcastle for Nelson, Donkin & Co. Chartered to Shaw, Savill & Albion Co., London she started her first London - Capetown - Port Chalmers - Lyttelton - Wellington voyage on 12th Jan.1884 and made two voyages on this route. On 12th Oct.1885 she was chartered by Houlder Bros., London and made one round voyage for them between London - Suez - Melbourne and Sydney. 1909 sold to Norwegian owners and renamed ORN.

FLORIDA / CAVOUR 1905
Built by Societa Esercizio Bacini, Rive Trigoso, Italy for Lloyd Italiano of Genoa, this was a 5,018 gross ton ship, length 381.4ft x beam 48.1ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 25-1st and 1,600-3rd class. Launched on 22nd June 1905, she started her maiden voyage on 18th Sept.1905 when she left Genoa for Naples and Buenos Aires. After this voyage she commenced Genoa - Palermo - Naples - New York sailings on 15th Nov.1905. On 23rd Jan.1909 she collided with and sank the White Star liner REPUBLIC in dense fog off the US coast. Although receiving a badly damaged bow, she managed to reach New York and was repaired. This was the first occasion when wireless telegraphy was used to summon assistance at sea. Her last Genoa - Palermo - Naples - New York voyage started 20th Apr.1911, and her first class accommodation was downgraded to 2nd class. Sold to Ligure Brasiliana of Genoa the same year, she was renamed CAVOUR and was used for Genoa - South America sailings. In 1914 she went to Transatlantica Italiana and was sunk in collision with the Italian Auxiliary Cruiser CAPRERA on 12th Dec.1917 near Armevilla. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1344]

FLORIDE 1907
The FLORIDE was a 6,624 gross ton ship, length 413.2ft x beam 52.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 125-2nd and 785-3rd class passengers. Built by Chantiers & Ateliers de Provence, Port de Bouc for Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line), she was launched on 14th Jul.1907. Her maiden voyage started on 30th Nov.1907 when she left Havre for New York and she stayed on this service until commencing her last sailing on 9th Feb.1912. In August 1912 she made her first Havre - Quebec - Montreal voyage and made four round voyages on this service. She resumed New York sailings, starting her last on 25th Nov.1914. On 19th Feb.1915 she was sunk by the German surface raider PRINZ EITEL FRIEDRICH off Dakar while under charter to Cie Sud Atlantique. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.660]

FOLIA 1916 see PRINCIPE DE PIEMONTE 1907

FORDSDALE / OCEAN NEPTUNE / PACIFIC TRADER / ATLANTIC CONCORD / JUI YUNG  1924
The FORDSDALE was built by the Commonwealth Dockyard, Sydney in 1924 for the Australian Commonwealth Line, Brisbane. She was a 9,949 gross ton cargo ship, length 500ft x beam 63.2ft (152,40m x 19,26m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. Designed for Manchester Ship Canal working, but was found to be unmanageable after one voyage, due to such a tight fit in the locks and was then used on the London or Liverpool run. Purchased with the rest of the fleet in May 1928 by White Star Line, she had additional refrigerated cargo space fitted in 1929, and in April 1933 was taken over by Shaw Savill & Albion. Between 1939 and 1945 she was used mainly on the Eastern Mediterranean service, mostly to Suez, and resumed London - Australia, New Zealand service after the war. In 1952 she was sold to Audax Shipping Co, Hong Kong and renamed OCEAN NEPTUNE, and in 1954 went to Pacific Union Lines and was renamed PACIFIC TRADER. She became the ATLANTIC CONCORD for Atlantic Bulk Carriers in 1956, and the JUI YUNG for Chinese Maritime Trust, Taiwan in 1958. She was eventually scrapped in Taiwan in 1959. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.10 Shaw, Savill & Albion and vol.17, Aberdeen and Aberdeen & Commonwealth Lines]

FORMOSA 1906
4,471 gross tons, length 408ft x beam 47.4ft (124.35m x 14.44m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 57-1st, 70-2nd and 44-3rd class passengers. Built by the London & Glasgow Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow, she was launched on 31st May 1906 for the Societe Generale de Transportes Maritimes, Marseilles. Her maiden voyage from Marseilles to Genoa and South America started on 5th Sep.1906. On 25th Oct.1927 she went to the rescue of the Italian liner PRINCIPESSA MAFALDA which sank off Bahia with the loss of 303 lives. The FORMOSA was scrapped in Italy in 1929. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

FORT HALL 1943
7,157 gross tons, was a wartime standard type Canadian built "Fort" ship built 1943 by North Vancouver Ship Repairs Ltd for bare boat charter to the British Ministry of War Transport and managed by E. R. Management Co, Ltd (Evans & Reid, Cardiff). In 1946 she reverted to the Canadian Government and the same year was sold to Argonaut Navigation Co, registered in Montreal and renamed ARGOFAX. 1950 transferred to London registry. 1957 sold to Strovili Cia. Nav. S.A., Panama renamed STROVILI and sailed under the Greek flag.1967 scrapped at Osaka.

FORT SALISBURY 1895 / VINCENT / GUJURAT / GORJISTAN
4,456 gross tons, length 360ft x beam 47ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 14 knots. Completed March 1895 by Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, Newcastle for the British & Colonial Steam Navigation Co (Bucknall Bros) and sailed on the passenger service between the UK and South and East African ports. 1900 transferred to Bucknall Steamship Lines. 1913 sold to Booth SS Co renamed VINCENT and re-sold later the same year to Andrew Weir & Co (Bank Line), used on their India - Africa service and renamed GUJURAT. 1919 sold to Hajee M. H. Nemazee, Hong Kong. 1921 renamed GORJISTAN and used to transport pilgrims to Mecca. 1923 transferred to Oriental Navigation Co. 1926 reverted to Nemazee ownership. 1928 owned by Borg & Co. 1928 scrapped at Kobe, Japan. [Merchant Fleets, vol.16 Ellerman Lines by Duncan Haws]

FORT ST. GEORGE 1921 see WANDILLA 1912

FRAMNAES 1858
This was built as a 242 gross ton ship, clipper bows, length 134.9ft x beam 21.0ft, iron hull, capacity for 375 passengers, built 1858 by Alexander Denny, Dumbarton. Used on Norwegian coastal services from Bergen, owned by Fylkesbaatane i Sogn og Fjordane, Bergen, Norway. 1909 lengthened and rebuilt by Akers M/V, Oslo to 307 gross tons, 152.5ft. 1913 stranded and sank in Neselfjorden, Solund, raised and repaired. 8th Nov.1943 attacked by Allied aircraft on Froysjoen, beached and later repaired. 1951 broken up at Antwerp. [Steamers of the Fjords by Mike Bent, contains detailed history and photos of this ship, ISBN 0-85177-518-7] A long lived vessel!!

FRANCE 1864
The French ship FRANCE was a 3,200 gross ton ship, built by Chantier de Penhoet, St Nazaire in 1864 for Compagnie Generale Tranatlantique (French Line). Her details were - length 346.6ft x beam 44ft, straight stem, two funnels, two masts(rigged for sail), iron construction, side paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 1/10/1864, she made her maiden voyage in 1865 from St Nazaire to Vera Cruz. On 2/8/1872 she started a single round voyage between Havre, Brest and New York (last North Atlantic voyage by a French Line paddle steamer). On 29/9/1872 she left Brest for New York but her engines broke down off Cherbourg and she had to turn back to Havre. In 1874 she was lengthened to 395.2ft, 4,648 tons by A.Leslie & Co, Hebburn-on-Tyne, converted to single screw propulsion with compound engines by Maudslay, Sons & Field, London, and had a third mast fitted. She was also fitted with accommodation for 279-1st & 2nd class and 510-3rd class passengers. She resumed Havre - New York sailings on 7/11/1874 and on 22/3/1884 commenced her last voyage on this service. She then started St Nazaire - Panama voyages on 6/12/1884 and on 20/12/1886 was damaged by fire at sea. She arrived at Fort de France, Martinique on 24th December and then proceeded to St Nazaire, where she was reconditioned between February and June 1887. In 1895 she was fitted with triple expansion engines and was finally scrapped at Cherbourg in July 1910. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.653]

FRANCE 1867
The British vessel FRANCE was built by T.Royden & Sons, Liverpool in 1867 for the National Line. She was a 3,572 gross ton ship, length 385.6ft x beam 42.4ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts(rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 4/6/1867, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown(Cobh) and New York on 13/10/1867. On 4/2/1874 she commenced her first voyage from London to New York and between 1874-1896 continued this service except for 5 voyages from Liverpool. She was rebuilt to 3,723 tons in 1874 and was fitted with compound engines by J.Jones & Sons, Liverpool in 1880. On 17/1/1896 she started her last London - New York voyage and was sold the same year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.613]

FRANCE / FRANCE IV 1910
The FRANCE was built by Chantiers & Ateliers de Saint Nazaire, St Nazaire in 1910 for Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). She was a 23,666 gross ton ship, length 690.1ft x beam 75.6ft, four funnels, two masts, four screws and a speed of 24 knots. There was accommodation for 535-1st, 440-2nd and 950-3rd class passengers. Laid down as the LA PICARDIE, her name was changed and she was launched on 20th Sep.1910 as the FRANCE. Her maiden voyage started on 20th Apr.1912 when she left Havre for New York and she stayed on this service until starting her last peacetime voyage on 27th Sept.1914.  During the Great War, she was renamed FRANCE IV and served as a transport, hospital ship and back to a transport. She reverted to her name FRANCE in 1918 and started her first voyage after the Armistice on 17th Dec.1918 when she sailed from Brest for New York with returning troops. On 2nd Feb.1919 she commenced a single round voyage between Bordeaux and New York and resumed Havre - New York sailings on 6th Aug.1919. Her last Havre - Plymouth - New York sailing started on 29th Sep.1923 and she was then rebuilt to carry 517-1st, 444-2nd and 660-3rd class passengers and converted from coal to oil fuel. She resumed Havre - Plymouth - New York sailings on 10th May 1924 and started her last New York - Plymouth - Havre crossing on 9th Sep.1932. She was scrapped at Dunkirk in 1935. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.661]

FRANCE / NORWAY 1960
The FRANCE was built by Chantiers de l'Atlantique, St Nazaire between 1957-1962 for the French Line (Compagnie Generale Transatlantique). Her details were 66,348 gross tons, overall length 1035.2ft x beam 110.9ft, two funnels, one mast, four screws and a speed of 34 knots. There was accommodation for 500-1st and 1,550-tourist class passengers. Launched on 11/5/1960, she left Havre on her maiden voyage for Southampton and New York on 3/2/1962. Later that year, her four bladed propellers were replaced by five bladed. On 4/5/1967 she made her first sailing from Havre to Southampton and Quebec for the International Exhibition (one round voyage). On 13/7/1967, she started her first voyage from Havre - Southampton - Quebec - New York and on 4/10/1968 made her last sailing on this route (3 round voyages). On 14/10/1971 she started her first voyage Bremen - Havre - Southampton - New York and on 5/9/1974 commenced her last New York - Southampton - Havre voyage. On 12/9/1974 she anchored off Havre owing to the crew's refusal to enter port as a protest against the impending lay up of the ship. On 10/10/1974 she finally entered port and was laid up on 7/12/1974. She left Havre for Bremerhaven on 18/8/1979 for conversion to a one class cruise ship for the Norwegian Caribbean Line. She was completely renovated, her tonnage increased to 69,379 tons, her two outer propellers removed to give her a speed of 21 knots, her hull painted white and her name changed to NORWAY. She was then the largest passenger ship in commission.

FRANCESCA 1905
4,946 gross tons, length 359.8ft x beam 48.0ft (109,65m x 14,63m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 30-1st, 50-2nd and 1,500-3rd class passengers. Built by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow (engines by J. K. Kincaid & Co, Greenock), she was launched on 2nd Jun.1905 for Unione Austriaca, Trieste which was at that time Austrian. Her maiden voyage started 17th Aug.1905 when she left Trieste for New York and on 7th May 1908 she started her first Trieste - South America sailing.In 1910 her cargo holds were refrigerated to carry frozen meat from Argentina and in 1919 when Trieste became Italian she transferred to Cosulich Line. She was scrapped in 1926. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor (contains photo)]

FRANCIS DRAKE / NOVA SCOTIA 1947
This was the ex-NOVA SCOTIA of the Warren Line. 7,438 gross tons, built 1947 and used on the Liverpool - St. John's - Halifax - Boston passenger service until 1962 when she was sold to the Dominion Navigation Co.of Australia and renamed FRANCIS DRAKE. 1971 Scrapped at Taiwan.

FRANCONIA 1911
18,150 gross tons, length 600.3ft x beam 71.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 300-1st, 350-2nd and 2,200-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23rd Jul.1910 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne for Cunard Steamship Co., Liverpool. On 25th Feb.1911 she started her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Queenstown and New York. After this voyage she transferred on 18th Apr.1911 to the Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston service. Her last voyage on this route started on 15th Sep.1914 and on 21st Oct.1914 she resumed the Liverpool - New York service. After four round voyages, the last commencing 23rd Jan.1915, she was converted to a troopship and used in the Mediterranean. On 4th Oct.1916 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB.47 while 195 miles SE from Malta on voyage Alexandria to Marseille without troops. Twelve of her crew were lost.

FRANCONIA 1923
20,158 gross tons, length 624ft x beam 73.7ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 330-1st, 420-2nd and 950-3rd class passengers. Launched on 21st Oct.1922 by John Brown & Co, Glasgow for the Cunard S.S.Co, she started her maiden voyage on 23rd Jun.1923 from Liverpool to New York. As well as the New York service, she was also used for winter cruising. 1939 converted to troopship and in 1940 was bombed and damaged off Brittany. 1945 Used as the HQ ship for the Yalta conference between Churchill, Roosevelt and Stalin. 2nd Jun.1949 returned to service on the Cunard Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal route with accommodation for 250-1st and 600-tourist class passengers. 1950 ran aground on Orleans Island near Quebec but was refloated. 22nd Jul.1955 transferred to Southampton - Havre - Quebec service. 3rd May 1956 resumed Liverpool - New York route. Dec.1956 sold for scrapping at Inverkeithing. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

FRANCONIA (3) 1962 / IVERNIA (2) 1955 / FEDOR SHALYAPIN 1973
22,637 gross tons, length 608.3ft x beam 80.3ft, one funnel, one mast, twin screw, speed 20 knots, accommodation for 125-1st and 800-tourist class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Clydebank, she was launched for Cunard Line as the IVERNIA on 16th Jun.1955. Her maiden voyage was delayed for two weeks because of a catering strike and she left Greenock on 1st Jul.1955 for Quebec and Montreal and thence to Liverpool. On 17th Apr.1957 she transferred to Southampton - Le Havre - Quebec - Montreal sailings and on 22nd Apr.1961 went aground in Southampton Water en route to Le Havre. Nine tugs pulled her off, five hours later. She was rebuilt at John Brown's shipyard in winter 1962 and renamed FRANCONIA on 1st Jan.1963. Painted with a green hull, she was used for cruising out of New York in summer and Port Everglades in winter. In Nov.1967 she became the last Cunard liner to terminate a scheduled sailing at Liverpool and in 1968 was used on the New York - Bermuda service for Furness Withy Line and painted white. A Rotterdam - Canada route was tried the same year but was not successful. Due to unprofitability, she was laid up at Southampton in Oct.1971 and then in the River Fal with the CARMANIA. Sold to Russia in Aug.1973 and renamed FEDOR SHALYAPIN and commenced Southampton - Australia sailings. Following the entry of Russian troops into Afghanistan, she was banned from Australian ports in Dec.1979 and was switched to Vladivostok - Far East voyages. Later transferred to the Black Sea for the Odessa - Yalta - Novorossisk - Sotchi route. Later laid up. [Merchant Fleets, vol.10 by Duncan Haws]

FRANKFURT 1869
The FRANKFURT was built in 1869 for North German Lloyd of Bremen by Caird & Co, Greenock. She was a 2,582 gross ton ship, length 300ft x beam 39ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was capacity for 30-1st and 600-3rd class passengers.
Launched on 18th Jun.1869 for the Bremen - New Orleans service, but she started her first voyage from Bremen to Havre and New York on 30th Jun.1870. She was laid up during the Franco-Prussian War and then between 1871-1874 was mainly employed on the New Orleans service, but also made six round voyages to New York during this period. In 1880 her engines were compounded and she commenced her last North Atlantic voyage between Bremen and Baltimore on 8th Mar.1882. Subsequently she sailed between Bremen and South America, starting her final voyage on 30th Sep. 1893. In 1894 she was sold to Sir W. G. Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, shipbuilders, in part payment for two new ships. Sold to Italian owners in 1895, she was scrapped in Italy in 1897. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.547]

FRANKFURT / SARVISTAN  1899
The FRANKFURT was a 7,431 gross ton ship, length 430.3ft x beam 54.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 108-2nd and 1,889-3rd class passengers. Built by J. C. Tecklenborg, Geestemunde, she was launched for North German Lloyd of Bremen on 17th Dec.1899. Her maiden voyage started on 31st Mar.1900 when she left Bremen for Baltimore, and her first Bremen - Galveston voyage started on 25th Dec.1901. She subsequently sailed from Bremen to Baltimore and/or Galveston. On 19th Sep.1908 she commenced the first of six Bremen - South America sailings and on 10th Mar.1910 started her first Bremen - Philadelphia - Galveston voyage. Her first Bremen - Boston - New Orleans sailing started on 13th Feb.1914 and her last on 29th Jul.1914. On the outbreak of the Great War in Aug.1913 she was laid up at Bremen. Surrendered to Britain in 1919 and sold to Hong Kong owners in 1922 and renamed SARVISTAN. She was scrapped in Japan in 1931. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.562]

FRANKLIN / BATAVIA 1871
The FRANKLIN of 1871 was built by T.R.Oswald & Co, Sunderland for the German company, Baltischer Lloyd. She was an 1,878 gross ton ship, length 282ft x beam 36ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. I don't have any information on her passenger capacity. She was launched in June 1871 and commenced her maiden voyage from Stettin to Copenhagen and New York on 8/8/1871. On 6/8/1874 she sailed on her last voyage from Stettin to Copenhagen, Antwerp, New York(arr.15/7/1874) and Stettin. She made a total of 14 round voyages on this service. In 1874 she was sold to the Italian company, Rubattino of Genoa and renamed BATAVIA. On 23/11/1877 she was wrecked on Capy Shoals near Marseilles.

FREDERIK VIII 1913
11,850 gross tons, length 523.5ft x beam 62.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 250-1st, 300-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Built by AG Vulcan, Stettin, she was launched for the Scandinavian-American Line on 27th May 1913. Her maiden voyage started 5th Feb.1914 when she left Copenhagen for Christiania, Christiansand and New York. In Nov.1926 her accommodation was refitted for cabin and 3rd class and in Oct.1929 for cabin, tourist and 3rd class passengers. 22nd Nov.1935 last voyage Copenhagen - Oslo - Christiansand - New York (dep.7th Dec.) - Christiansand - Oslo - Copenhagen. Sep.1936 sold and scrapped at Blyth [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1241 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

FRIEDRICH DER GROSSE / HURON / CITY OF HONOLULU 1896
The FRIEDRICH DER GROSSE was built by AG Vulcan, Stettin in 1896 for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 10,531 gross ton ship, length 159,40m x beam 18,29m (523ft x 60ft), two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 226-1st, 235-2nd and 1,671-3rd class. Launched on 1/8/1896, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Australia via Suez on 11/11/1896. On 4/4/1897 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to Falmouth (to pick up passengers from the KONIGIN LUISE which had broken her steering gear) and New York. On 22/3/1907 she started her first Naples - New York crossing and made her last Genoa - Naples - New York sailing on 25/7/1912 (16 round voyages). On 22/11/1913 she started her last Bremen - New York voyage and on 21/1/1914 started her last Bremen - Australia voyage (14 round voyages to Australia). She transferred to the Bremen - Baltimore service on 4/6/1914 and made her last Bremen - Philadelphia - Baltimore sailing on 9/7/1914. In August 1914 she took refuge in New York and in April 1917 was seized by the US authorities and became the US Government ship HURON. In 1922 she went to the Los Angeles SS Co and was renamed CITY OF HONOLULU. While on her first Honolulu - Los Angeles crossing she was damaged by fire on 12/10/1922, and on 17/10/1922 was sunk by gunfire by the US transport THOMAS as a danger to navigation. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.559]

FRIESLAND / LA PLATA 1889
7,116 gross tons, length 437ft x beam 51.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, four masts (rigged for sail), steel hull, single screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 226-1st, 102-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers. Built by J & G.Thomson, Glasgow and launched for the Red Star Line on 15th Aug.1889. Her maiden voyage from Antwerp to New York started on 7th Dec.1889 and her last voyage on this service started on 10th Jan.1903. Chartered to the American Line and refitted to carry 300-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers, she started Liverpool - Philadelphia sailings on 26th Mar.1903 and made her last voyage on this route in May 1911. Sold to Italian owners, and renamed LA PLATA, she had two of her masts removed and was scrapped the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.853]

FRISIA / TEMERARIO / ARNO 1872
The FRISIA was built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1872 for Hamburg America Line. She was a 3,256 gross ton ship, length 349.5ft x beam 40.2ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 90-1st, 130-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers. Laid down as the ALSATIA but was launched on 20th Mar.1872 as the FRISIA. She started her maiden voyage on 21st Aug.1872 when she left Hamburg for Havre and New York and stayed on this service until starting her last voyage on 13th Sep.1885. In 1888 she was sold to R.L.Gillcrest of London and resold to Italian owners in 1889 and renamed TEMERARIO. In 1890 she went to Banco di Genova, Genoa and was renamed ARNO and in 1892 came under the ownership of Navigazione Generale Italiana. She commenced a single round voyage between Genoa - Catania - Naples and New York on 6th May 1892 and in 1898 was converted to a coal carrier. In 1901 she became a coal hulk at Genoa and was scrapped in Italy in 1902. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.390-1] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America line]

FRISIA 1909
7,442 gross tons, length 128.31m x beam 16.49m, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 91-1st, 116-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers.
Built 1909 by Koninklijke Maatschappij de Schelde for Royal Holland Lloyd (Koninklijke Hollandsche Lloyd), she started her maiden voyage on 21st July 1909 from Amsterdam to Buenos Aires with calls at Boulogne, Plymouth, Coruna, Lisbon, Las Palmas, Pernambuco, Bahia, Rio de Janeiro, Santos and Montevideo. Holland was neutral during the 1914-1918 war so passenger services continued. In 1922 the ship was sold to Hamburg America Line and renamed HOLSATIA and in 1928 was scrapped in Hamburg.

FULDA 1882
The FULDA belonged to Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was built by John Elder & Co, Glasgow, she was a 4816 gross ton ship, length 429.8ft x beam 45.9ft, two funnels, four masts, iron construction, single screw, speed 16 knots. Accommodation for 120-1st, 130-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 15/11/1882, commenced her maiden voyage on 14/3/1883 from Bremen to Southampton and New York. On 14/3/1886 she rescued all the passengers and crew of the Cunard vessel OREGON which was sunk in collision near Long Island. She started her last voyage on this run on 7/10/1891 and was transferred on 24/10/1891 to the New York - Genoa service. Last voyage commenced 27/10/1898 and was chartered to Cie. Trasatlantica for Spanish troop repatriation. On 2/2/1899 she entailed serious damage while in drydock at Birkenhead after provisional sale to the Canadian Steamship Co. The deal was abandoned and she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

FULDA (2) 1924 / TEIKOKO MARU / TEIKEI MARU
9,492 gross tons, length 145.97m x beam 19.05m, one funnel, two masts, speed 12.5 knots, accommodation for 89-1st and 159-3rd class passengers. Launched in Aug.1924 by A.G. Weser, Bremen for North German Lloyd, Bremen, she started her maiden voyage to East Asia on 14th Dec.1924. In Jul.1927 she was seized by Chinese revolutionaries at Shanghai but released after a week. Converted to a freighter in 1935 with accommodation for 24 passengers. Jul.1937 briefly seized by the Chinese at at Shanghai while resisting the Japanese invasion. Sep.1939 took refuge at Dairen on the outbreak of WWII. 28.9.40 sold to Japan and renamed TEIKOKO MARU, later TEIKEI MARU and managed by Teikoku Sempaku K.K., Tokyo. 30.12.44 sunk SW of Cape Bolinau, Luzon at 17.18N 119.25E by U.S. air attack. [Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, vol.2 by Edwin Drechsel]

FURNESS BRIDGE / LAKE ARROWHEAD / MARCONA PATHFINDER / WORLD PATHFINDER / OCEAN SOVEREIGN 1970
FURNESS BRIDGE, 77,316 gross tons, 964ft x 144ft was launched on 16th Oct.1970 for the Seabridge Shipping Co, part of the Furness / Houlder group. She was an iron ore carrier, but fitted to carry oil if needed and was a sister ship to the infamous DERBYSHIRE which was lost with all hands in a typhoon in the Pacific. In 1977 the FURNESS BRIDGE was sold to the Utah Transport Co, Monrovia, Liberia, renamed LAKE ARROWHEAD and chartered to the Australian National Line. 1982 she became the MARCONA PATHFINDER, owned by Marcona Carriers Ltd, Monrovia, part of the U.S.owned San Juan Carriers group. 1983 sold to Paramount Transport Co, Monrovia, renamed WORLD PATHFINDER. 1986 sold to Nerice Maritime Co, Limassol, Cyprus, renamed OCEAN SOVEREIGN. 26th Mar.1992 Arrived at Huangpu, China for scrapping. [Furness-Houlder Lines by Norman L.Middlemiss] [Merchant Fleets, vol.38 by Duncan Haws]

FURNESSIA 1880
The FURNESSIA was built in 1880 by the Barrow Shipbuilding Co, Barrow for the Barrow Steamship Co. She was a 5,495 gross ton vessel, length 445.1ft x beam 44.8ft, two funnels, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots.  There was accommodation for 242-1st, 136-2nd and 981-3rd class passengers.  Launched on 19th Oct.1880, she left Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Moville (Ireland) and New York on 17th Feb.1881. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 5th Apr.1883 (21 round voyages) and on 9th May 1883 was transferred to the Liverpool - Queenstown(Cobh) - New York run. She made 6 round voyages on this service, the last one commencing 1st Nov.1883 and on 7th Dec.1883 resumed the Glasgow - Moville - New York service. In 1891 she was fitted with triple expansion engines and her funnels reduced to one. On 17th Nov.1893 she was transferred from Barrow Steamship Co. to Anchor Line and in 1909 her accommodation was modified to 1st and 3rd class only. On 12th Aug.1911 she sailed from Glasgow on her final voyage to Moville, New York and Glasgow and on 22nd Nov.1911 arrived  at Barrow for scrapping. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.461] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line]

FURST BISMARCK / DON / MOSKVA / GAEA / SAN GIUSTO  1891
The FURST BISMARCK was buit by A.G.Vulcan, Stettin for the Hamburg America Line and was laid down as the VENETIA but launched as the FURST BISMARCK. She was a 8,430 gross ton ship, length 502.6ft x beam 57.6ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 19 knots. There was accommodation for 420-1st, 172-2nd and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 29/11/1890, she left Hamburg on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 8/5/1891. On 27/3/1894 she commenced her first voyage from Genoa to Naples and New York and continued this service during the winter months until commencing her last Naples - New York voyage on 26/1/1902. She started her last Hamburg - Southampton - New York voyage on 5/11/1903. She was sold to Russia in 1904, converted to an auxiliary cruiser and renamed DON. In 1906 she went to the Russian Volunteer Fleet, was renamed MOSKVA and from 13/5/1907 she ran between Libau, Rotterdam and New York. She made 4 round voyages, and in 1913 was sold to the Austrian Navy who renamed her GAEA and used her as a depot ship. Seized by Italy at the end of the Great War, she was rebuilt and renamed SAN GIUSTO for the Cosulich Line. In 1921 she made one round voyage from Trieste to Naples and New York and was scrapped in Italy in 1924.

FURST BISMARCK / FRIEDRICHSRUHE / AMBOISE 1905
8,332 gross tons, length 469.3ft x beam 55.1ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 420-1st, 172-2nd and 200-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10th Jun.1905 by Fairfield SB Co., Glasgow as the FURST BISMARCK for the Hamburg America Line's Hamburg - New York service. 1913 renamed FRIEDRICHSRUHE, same owners, 1919 ceded to France as war reparations (probably used for trooping). 1921 passed to Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles, renamed AMBOISE, refitted to carry 127-1st, 124-2nd and 74-3rd class passengers. Placed on the Far East service. 1923 sailed on the Saigon route. 1935 scrapped Genoa. [Merchant Fleets vol.36 by Duncan Haws]

  Return to The Fleets | Description Index

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: October 12, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli