FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - H

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

H.H. MEIER / LUCANIA / MANUEL CALVO / DRAGO 1891
The H.H.MEIER was a 5140 ton ship built in 1891 for North German Lloyd, by Armstrong, Mitchell & Co. of Walker-on-Tyne. She had one funnel, three masts, twin screw, 13 knots. She was 421ft in length x 48ft beam and had accommodation for 75 1st, 300 2nd  and 1,000 3rd class passengers. She was launched as the LUCANIA for MacIver & Co. and was bought by NDL in 1892 and renamed H.H.MEIER. On 27.12.1892 she made her maiden voyage for NDL from Bremen - Southampton - NY and in 1893, transferred to Bremen - NY - Baltimore run. From 1894 she did five voyages Bremen - South America and then went onto the Bremen - NY service until 21.9.1901. when she made her last voyage on this run. In 1901 she was sold to the Spanish Cie. Trasatlantica Espanola and was renamed MANUEL CALVO and was rebuilt. She was put on the Genoa - Barcelona - - Cadiz - NY - Havana - Vera Cruz service. In 1919 she struck a mine off the Turkish coast while repatriating foreigners with the loss of 151 lives. Made her last voyage Barcelona - Cadiz - NY - Havana in 1931 and was then laid up in Minorca until 1939 when she sailed to Cadiz where she was rebuilt as a cargo vessel and in 1950 was laid up at Santander. In 1952 she was renamed DRAGO, still under the Spanish flag and in 1959 was scrapped in Spain at the remarkable age of 68. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.556]

HABANA / ERNST MORITZ ARNDT 1872
"Habana" was the ex-"Ernst Moritz Arndt". This was built by T.B.Oswald & Co, Sunderland in 1872 for the German company, Baltischer Lloyd. She was a 2,597 gross ton ship, length 317ft x beam 38ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 22/8/1872 as the "Ernst Moritz Arndt", she sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Havre and New York on 27/2/1873. She made 6 transatlantic voyages, the last starting on 28/5/1874 when she left Stettin for Antwerp and New York. In 1879 she was sold to Lopez of Spain and renamed "Habana". In 1881 she went to Cia.Trasatlantica Espanola. I don't know her history between 1879 and 1886, but from 1886-96, the company ran a feeder service between Havana and New York and the "Habana" was, at various times employed on that route. She was scrapped in 1900. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.774/ vol.3, p.1245-6]

HABSBURG 1875
The HABSBURG was a 3,094 gross ton ship, length 353ft x beam 39.1ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots. Accommodation for 142-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Earle's Shipbuilding, Hull, she was launched on 9th Jan.1875 for North German Lloyd of Bremen. Her maiden voyage started 11th Mar.1876 when she left Bremen for Southampton and New York and in May 1876 she transferred to Bremen - South America sailings. She resumed New York sailings on 21st Apr.1880 and started her 30th and last voyage on this service on 10th Apr.1886. Between 23rd Feb.1887 and 24th Oct.1894 she was used on the Bremen - Suez - Australia route, being re-engined and refitted to carry 63-1st, 30-2nd and 641-3rd class passengers in 1891. She made two further New York sailings in April - May 1895 and then reverted to South America voyages on 10th Nov.1895. Her final sailing on this route commenced 10th Mar.1896 and in 1898 she was sold to Italy, but stranded on her delivery voyage. Refloated in 1899, she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.551]

HAITI / PUERTO RICO / MONTEREY / ADANA 1932
MONTEREY, built in 1932 at Newport News as the HAITI for the Columbia Steamship Co. This was a 5,236 gross ton vessel, single screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st and 24-tourist passengers and she also carried refrigerated cargo. She was originally designed to run between New York and Port-au-Prince, Kingston, Jamaica, Puerto Columbia  and Cristobal. In 1938 she transferred to the New York - Puerto Rico service and was renamed PUERTO RICO. In 1939 she went to the Ward Line and was named MONTEREY. In 1942 she was chartered to the US Army and roughly converted to a troopship at New York. After a long voyage to the Persian Gulf and India, her conversion was completed to carry just over 1,000 troops. She took an active part in the Operation Torch landings in French North Africa and was then used to carry reinforcements to US bases in the West Indies, Brazil, etc. Her war service was finished by repatriating personnel from the Mediterranean. In 1948 she was sold to Turkish owners and renamed ADANA, but in 1952 her engine room flooded while at anchor off Istanbul and she was beached in shallow water. I have no further information on this ship. [Sea Breezes magazine, vol.14,p.56, July 1952]

HAKON ADELSTEEN 1873
HAKON ADELSTEEN. 1,403 gross tons, length 250ft x beam 32.2ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots. Built by Backhouse & Dixon, Middlesborough (engines by North Eastern Marine Co, Sunderland), she was launched for the Norse-American Line on 15th Feb.1873. On 29th Apr.1873 she started her maiden voyage from Bergen to NewYork, and started the last New York voyage of the company on 30th May 1875 when she left Newcastle for Bergen (dep. 6th Jun), and New York (arr.24th Jun). The company was then wound up and the ships sold. The HAKON ADELSTEEN was wrecked on the Brazilian coast on 12th Jul.1895. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.2, p.778]

HALLE 1895
3,960 gross tons, length 112.75m x beam 13.28m, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 19-2nd and 1,071-steerage class passengers. Built by Germaniawerft, Kiel for North German Lloyd, Bremen, she was launched on 3rd Aug.1895 and started her maiden voyage Bremen - Montevideo - Buenos Aires on 2nd Nov.1895. As well as South America voyages, she was also used on the Baltimore and New York routes. In 1913 she was sold to Jebsen & Diederichsen, Hamburg and renamed PAWEL. 1915 sold to De Dortsche Stoomscheep Maats, Dordrecht, Holland renamed WOUDRICHEM. Mar.1918 seized by U.S. Authorities for it's war effort and 1919 returned to owners, but sold to Universal Transportation Co, New York. 1921 sold to Kennebec SS Co, NY, then to D. Pace, NY and renamed LLOYD. 1923 sold to Achille Lauro, Naples, Italy renamed IRIS. 1925 scrapped Genoa. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor] [Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, vol.1 by Edwin Drechsel, ISBN 1-895590-08-6 contains photo of the ship as the LLOYD]

HAMBURG / RED CROSS / POWHATAN / NEW ROCHELLE / HUDSON /
PRESIDENT FILLMORE 1899
Built by A.G. Vulcan, Stettin in 1899 and planned as the BAVARIA, this was a 10,532 gross ton ship, length 499.3ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 172-1st, 106-2nd and 1,780-3rd class. Launched on 25th Nov.1899 as the HAMBURG for the Hamburg America Line's Far East service, she started her maiden voyage on 12th Mar.1900 when she left Hamburg for the Far East via Suez. On 2nd Jun.1904 she commenced her first Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York sailing and on 13th Apr.1905 started her first Naples - New York sailing. Her last Genoa - Naples - New York crossing started on 18th Jul.1914 and in August 1914, on the outbreak of the Great War, she was interned at New York. Chartered to the International Red Cross, she was renamed RED CROSS and on 13th Sep.1914 started a single round voyage between New York, Rotterdam and New York to repatriate US citizens, then reverted to her previous name of HAMBURG. In April 1917, on the entry of the USA into the war, she was seized by US Authorities, renamed POWHATAN and used as a hospital ship and later by the US Army Transport Corps. In 1920 she was chartered to the Baltic SS Corp. of America, refitted to carry 240-cabin and 1,500-3rd class passengers, and renamed NEW ROCHELLE. She started New York - Danzig sailings on 5th Aug.1920 and commenced her third and last New York - Havre - Danzig - Havre - New York voyage on 20th Nov.1920. In 1921 she came under the ownership of US Mail SS Co, was altered to carry 350-cabin and 900-3rd class passengers and started New York - Bremen - Danzig sailings on 12th Feb.1921. Renamed HUDSON in May 1921,she continued the New York - Bremen - Danzig service. Later the same year she went to United States Line and sailed New York - Bremen. In 1922 she was renamed PRESIDENT FILLMORE and continued on the same service until starting her final Bremen - New York crossing on  20th Nov.1923. In 1924 she went to the Dollar Line, San Francisco fot their round-the-world service and in 1928 she was scrapped in the USA. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.410] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America, Adler and Carr Lines] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1]

HAMBURG 1925
21,132 gross ton passenger ship, launched 1925 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg for the Hamburg America Line. She had accommodation for 1,050 passengers and carried 423 crew and was used on the Hamburg - New York service. In 1940 she was taken over by the Kriegsmarine and used as a naval accommodation ship at Gotenhafen (Gdynia). In 1945 she transported 23,000 refugees to the west in three voyages during the evacuation of the German Eastern Territories. On 7th March 1945 she disembarked her refugees at Sassnitz and while being towed to another anchorage, she struck two mines and sank. Raised by Soviet salvors in 1950 and refitted at Warnemunde and Antwerp. 1955 renamed YURI DOLGORUKI and in 1957 converted to a whaling mother ship. 1960 delivered to the Soviet State Shipping Line and registered at Kaliningrad. Scrapped in 1977.

HAMMONIA 1854 / BELGIAN / MISSOURI
2,259 gross tons, length 280ft x beam 38.6ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), clipper bows, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 54-1st, 146-2nd and 310-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock for the Hamburg America Line, she was launched on 5th May 1855 and immediately chartered to the French Government for use as a Crimean War transport. Returned to her owners, she started her first Hamburg - New York voyage on 1st Jul.1856 and her last from Southampton to New York on 6th Feb.1864. Sold to the Allan Line and renamed BELGIAN, she commenced her first voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 21st Apr.1864 and started her last for these owners between Liverpool and Quebec on 29th May 1868. In 1872 went to the Mississippi & Dominion Line and made two Liverpool - New Orleans sailings before being renamed MISSOURI in 1873. She made two further round voyages to New Orleans before being wrecked on the Bahamas on 1st Oct.1873. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1,p.388 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Merchant Fleets, vol.4 by Duncan Haws]

HAMMONIA / MOSKVA 1866
The HAMMONIA was the second of five ships of that name owned by the Hamburg America Line. She was built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1866 and was a 3,035 gross ton vessel, length 339.9ft x beam 40ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 58-1st, 120-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 8th Dec.1866, she sailed from Hamburg on her maiden voyage to New York on 2nd Mar.1867. Her last voyage from Hamburg to Havre and New York commenced on 25th Jul.1877 and in 1878 she went to the Russian Volunteer Fleet and was renamed MOSKVA. On 6th Jun.1882 she was wrecked, with no loss of life, near Cape Guardafui, Gulf of Aden. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.389]

HANKOW / DUNNET 1873
1873 3,594 gross tons, length 389ft x beam 42.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built by C. Mitchell & Co, Newcastle, she was launched on 7th Oct.1873 for E.H.Watts, London. The company later became Watts, Milburn & Co and the HANKOW was chartered to the Colonial Line and sailed London to Australia, then in ballast to China where she loaded tea for the homeward voyage. This service lasted until Mar.1880 when she was sold to Wm. Milburn & Co who formed the Anglo-Australasian Steam Navigation Co, but used the HANKOW on the China route. In 1886 the HANKOW transferred from the China service and from 4th Sep.1886 to 20th Nov.1890 served on the London - Melbourne - Sydney run. Sold to Aberdeen Atlantic Shipping Co, Aberdeen in 1897 and in 1898 was sold to Wilh.Wilhelmsen, Oslo and renamed DUNNET. On 6th Apr.1899 she sailed from Barry, South Wales bound for Genoa and went missing, believed to have foundered in the Bay of Biscay. [North Star to Southern Cross by J.M.Maber] [Merchant Fleets, vol.21 by Duncan Haws] [Wilh.Wilhelmsen by B. Kolltveit & M. Crowdy]

HANNOVER 1869
This was a 2,571 gross ton ship, length 300ft x beam 39ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 60-1st and 700-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock for North German Lloyd of Bremen, she was launched on 28th July 1869 for the companies New Orleans service. Her first Bremen - New York sailing started on 19th May 1870 and she commenced a second voyage on this route on 6th July 1870. She was then laid up at New York until 27th Oct.1879 when she sailed for Bremen. Between 1871 - 1874 she was mostly employed on the New Orleans route but also made four New York and four West Indies voyages during this period. She then resumed New York voyages and made her last Bremen - New York sailing on 15th July 1880. Re-engined in 1880-81, she commenced her last North Atlantic sailing on 12th Oct.1881 when she left Bremen for Baltimore. Subsequently used on the South America service until Jan.1894 and was then scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.547]

HANNOVER  1899
The HANNOVER was built by Wigham Richardson & Co, Walker-on-Tyne in 1899 for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 7,305 gross ton ship, length 429.9ft x beam 54ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was capacity for 120-2nd and 1,850-3rd class passengers. Launched on 22nd August 1899, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Baltimore on 2nd December 1899. On 8/3/1902 she started her first Bremen - New York - Baltimore voyage and on 7/4/1910 her first Bremen - Philadelphia voyage. Her first Hamburg - Portland, Maine crossing started on 6/4/1913 and on 16/5/1913 she commenced a single round voyage between Hamburg, Quebec and Montreal. She commenced the first of two round voyages between Bremen, Boston and New Orleans on 31/12/1913 and the second on 4/3/1914. Her first Bremen - Quebec sailing started 16/5/1914 and her second and last on 27/6/1914. She was then laid up at Bremen due to the outbreak of the Great War in August 1914, and in 1919 was surrendered to Britain. In 1922 she was resold to North German Lloyd and refitted to carry cabin and 3rd class passengers. She resumed Bremen - New York crossings on 25/3/1922 and continued on this service until her last sailing on 24/1/1926. In 1932 she was scrapped at Bremen. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.2 ,p.561]

HANOVERIAN 1882
was a 3503 gross ton ship, length 366ft x beam 42.2ft, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Accommodation for 1st and 3rd class passengers. Built by Wm Doxford & Sunderland, she was launched for the Allan Line on 21st Mar.1882. Her maiden voyage started 25th May 1882 when she left Glasgow for Quebec and Montreal, and on 11th Mar.1883 she started London - Halifax - New York sailings. On 3rd Jun.1884 she commenced her first Liverpool - Halifax - Baltimore voyage, and on 18th Feb.1885 her first Glasgow - Philadelphia sailing. She was wrecked in St.Mary's Bay, NF on 2nd Sep.1885 with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.316]

HANOVERIAN / MAYFLOWER/ CRETIC / DEVONIAN 1902
13,518 gross tons; length 582ft x beam 60.3 feet; 1 funnel, 4 masts; twin screw, speed 15 knots. Built 1902 by R. & W. Hawthorne, Leslie & Co., Hebburn-on-Tyne as HANOVERIAN, for the Leyland Line (260 1st-class passengers). 19 July 1902, maiden voyage, Liverpool-Boston. 27 September 1902, last voyage, Liverpool-Boston (3 round-trip voyages).
1903 sold to Dominion Line renamed MAYFLOWER with accommodation for 260-1st, 250-2nd and 1000 3rd-class passengers. 9 April 1903, first voyage, Liverpool-Boston. 22 October 1903, last voyage, Liverpool- Boston (7 round-trip voyages).
1903 sold to White Star Line renamed CRETIC. 9 November 1903, first voyage, Liverpool-Boston (10 round-trip voyages). November 1904, first voyage, Boston-Naples-Genoa-Naples-Boston- New York (arrived 7 December). 21 November 1911, last voyage, (Genoa)-Naples-New York. March 1912, first voyage, Genoa-Naples-Boston. 17 March 1915, first voyage, Genoa-Naples-Boston-New York. January 1918, last voyage, Genoa-Naples-Boston (arrived 30 January)-Liverpool. April 1918, first voyage, Liverpool-New York. 5 September 1919, last voyage, Liverpool-New York. 24 September 1919, resumed New York-Naples-Genoa; 300 1st-, 210 2nd-, 800 3rd-class passengers. 18 October 1922, last voyage, Genoa-Naples-New York.
1923 sold to Leyland Line renamed DEVONIAN; rebuilt to 12,153 tons; 250 cabin-class passengers. June 1923, first voyage, Liverpool-Boston (arrived 24 June). April 1926, cabin became tourist third cabin. 10 December 1927, first voyage for Red Star Line (chartered), New York-Plymouth-Antwerp. 9 March 1928, last voyage, Antwerp-Southampton-New York (3 round-trip voyages). 23 March 1928, sailed New York-Philadelphia. 15 September 1928, last voyage, Boston-Liverpool (2 1/2 round-trip voyages). 1929, scrapped at Bo'ness.

HANSA / UNITED STATES / INDIAN EMPIRE 1847
"Hansa" was built by Wm H.Webb, New York in 1847 as the "United States" for the American, Black Ball Line of transatlantic sailing packets. She was an 1,857 gross ton steamship, length 244.6ft x beam 48ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts, wooden construction, paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 100-1st and 50-2nd class passengers. Launched on 20/8/1847, she sailed from New York on her maiden voyage to Liverpool on 8/4/1848 (One round voyage). On 10/6/1848 she commenced her first voyage from New York to Southampton and Havre. Her second voyage on this route started on 5/8/1848, and on 6/12/1848 she sailed on her last voyage from New York to Southampton, Havre(dep 9/1/1849), Southampton, Halifax and New York (arr 5/2/1849). In 1849 she was sold and converted to a warship. On 31/5/1849 she sailed from New York for Liverpool where she was renamed "Hansa" and became a member of the German Confederation Navy. In 1853 she was bought by Fritze & Lehmkuhl of Bremen who refitted her as a merchant ship. She sailed on her first voyage for these owners from Bremen to New York on 30/8/1853 and on 17/10/1854 commenced her last sailing on this route (4 Round voyages). On 24/3/1855 she left London for the Black Sea where she became a troop transport for the Crimean War, and on 18/9/1855 returned to the UK. On 9/4/1857 she commenced a single round voyage from Bremen to New York and in 1858 was sold to the Galway Line of Ireland, renamed "Indian Empire" and rebuilt to 2,516 tons. She made two transatlantic crossings for these owners (commencing 19/6/1858 and 28/9/1858) from Galway to New York. On 24/7/1861 she was damaged by fire at Deptford, London and was laid up in Victoria Dock, London, where she sank on 4/5/1866. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.194]

HANSA / LUDWIG 1861
Built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1861 for North German Lloyd of Bremen, she was a 2,992 gross ton ship, length 328.2ft x beam 42ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (barque rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 75-1st, 105-2nd and 480-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23/8/1861, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 24/11/1861. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 12/11/1878 and was sold to British owners the following year. In 1881 she was fitted with compound engines and chartered to Adamson & Ronaldson. They used her for six round voyages from London to Boston between May 1881 and March 1882. In 1883 she went to the White Cross Line of Antwerp who renamed her LUDWIG. She sailed from Antwerp for Montreal on 2nd July 1883 and disappeared without trace with the loss of 70-80 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.544-5]

HARBURG / WORMS 1907
The HARBURG was a cargo vessel built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Newcastle in 1907 as the WORMS for the German Australian Line. Her details were 4,486 gross tons, length 401ft x beam 52ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. In 1919 she was ceded to Britain under the war reparations scheme, repurchased by her original owners in 1922, she was renamed HARBURG and in 1926 was taken over with the rest of their fleet by Hamburg America Line. In December 1932 she was sold and scrapped. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

HAUROTO 1882
HAUROTO 1988 gross tons, length 285ft, accommodation for 60-1st and 84-2nd class passengers, speed 12 knots. Launched 31.8.1882 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for Union S.S.Co.of New Zealand. Served on the Port Chalmers - NZ - Sydney service, bunkering at Opua and returning to NZ and Port Chalmers and on to Melbourne before doubling back to Port Chalmers (known as the horseshoe run). 1898 sailed Sydney - Hobart then on to South Pacific routes. 1910 used as relief steamer. 1912 laid up at Auckland and then sold to Hauroto S.S.Co, Hong Kong (Carmichael & Clarke, managers). 26.7.1919 left Hong Kong for Saigon and disappeared at sea in typhoon in China Sea - 180 lost.

HAVEL / METEORO / ALFONSO XII 1890
The HAVEL was built by AG Vulcan, Stettin in 1890 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. This was a 6,875 gross ton ship, length 463ft x beam 51.9ft, two funnels, three masts, single screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 244-1st, 122-2nd, and 460-3rd class passengers. Launched on 30/8/1890, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 5/2/1891. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 19/4/1898 and was then sold to Spain, where she was converted to an armed cruiser and renamed METEORO. In 1899 she went to Compania Trasatlantica Espanola and was renamed ALFONSO XII. She commenced her first voyage from Bilbao to Coruna, Vigo, Havana, and New York on 30/10/1916 and made 9 round voyages on this service. Her last voyage started on 7/2/1918 when she left New York for Coruna and Bilbao. In 1926 she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.555]

HAVERFORD 1901
The HAVERFORD was an 11,635 gross ton ship, built in 1901 by John Brown & Co Ltd, Glasgow for the American Line. Her details were length 531ft x beam 59.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 150-2nd and 1,700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 4/5/1901, she sailed on her maiden voyage under the British flag, from Southampton for Cherbourg and New York on 4/9/1901. After one voyage, she was chartered to Red Star Line of Antwerp and sailed on 9/11/1901 under the Belgian flag from Antwerp for New York. She made four round voyages on this service, the last commencing 8/3/1902 and was then returned to the American Line. In April 1902 she commenced sailings between Liverpool and Philadelphia and on 17/12/1908 was chartered to Dominion Line and started sailing between Liverpool, Halifax and Portland. On 21/1/1909 she started her second and last voyage on this route and in Jan.1915 commenced her last Liverpool - Philadelphia run. Between 1915-16 she was used as a British transport ship and on 26/6/1917 was torpedoed by a German submarine off the West coast of Scotland with the loss of 8 lives but was beached. On 17/4/1918 she survived an unsuccessful submarine attack in the North Atlantic and in Jan 1919 resumed the Liverpool - Philadelphia service. She made her last voyage on this route for American Line in Feb.1921 and on 1/4/1921 commenced sailing for White Star Line on the same route. The seventh and last voyage on this service commenced on 6/11/1921, and on 18/1/1922 she started sailing between Hamburg and New York for American Line. After three round voyages she went back to White Star's Liverpool - Boston - Philadelphia service on 16/5/1922. Her final voyage began on 27/8/1924 when she left Liverpool for Belfast, Glasgow and Philadelphia and the following year she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.945]

HAWKES BAY / PORT NAPIER / MARTAND / MARTANO / MAR BIANCO 1912
10,641 gross tons, length 508ft x beam 61.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 750-steerage class passengers. Launched on 27th Sep.1912 by Workman, Clark & Co., Belfast (Yard No.313) for Tyser Line, London, she started her maiden voyage in Jan.1913 from London to Sydney. In Jan.1914 she was transferred to ownership of the newly formed Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line) and was used for trooping on the homeward voyages. Apr.1916 renamed PORT NAPIER. 1932 laid up in the River Blackwater and 1936 transferred within the group to T & J. Brocklebank, Liverpool and renamed MARTAND. 1938 sold to A. Zanchi, Genoa, renamed MARTANO and later the same year became the MAR BIANCO. Sep.1943 taken over by Germans after the Italian capitulation and on 7th Dec.1943 was bombed and sunk by Allied aircraft in the Adriatic off Zara while employed as a German army supply ship to Yugoslavia. Photo in Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.1 by A. Kludas, ISBN 0-85059-174-0

HEATHMORE 1883
1,864 gross tons, 265ft x 37.1ft, built 1883 by J. Key & Sons, Kinghorn for W. Johnston & Co., Liverpool.
1897 sold to Deas, Foster & Co., London. 5th Jul.1897 struck Seven Stones Rock, Scilly Isles and sank on voyage Santander to Glasgow with cargo of iron ore.

HECLA / CLARIS / CONDE DE VILANA / PEDRO TERCERO / TIEMPO / RIO NEGRO 1860
The HECLA was a 1,785 gross ton ship, built in 1860 by Robert Napier & Sons, Glasgow for the British & North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Co, which later became Cunard Line. Her details were - length 376ft x beam 36.4ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 70-1st and 800-3rd class. Launched in 1860 for the Mediterranean service, she started her first Liverpool - Queenstown (Cobh) - New York voyage on 16th Jun.1863.  Her 28th and last sailing on this service commenced 1st Jun.1869 and in 1871 she was rebuilt to 338.7ft long, three masts, 2,421 gross tons and fitted with compound engines by J&G.Thomson, Glasgow. She started Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston sailings on 23rd May 1872 and between 1872 - 1881 sailed mostly on this route, but with some New York voyages. Her last Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston sailing commenced 5th Feb.1881 and she was then acquired by Laird Bros (shipbuilders) in part payment for the CEPHALONIA. Renamed CLARIS in 1882 and sold to Spanish owners in 1888 and renamed CONDE DE VILANA. In 1892 she became the Argentine registered PEDRO TERCERO and in 1895 was again renamed TIEMPO. Purchased by the Argentine government in 1897 she was renamed RIO NEGRO and in 1924 was damaged in collision with the British owned HIGHLAND LOCH (Nelson Line). Repaired, she continued in service until 1954 when she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.148]

HECTOR 1863
was a 1,979 gross ton ship, length 284.4ft x beam 34.8ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots. Built by J.Laing, Sunderland (engines by G.Clark, Sunderland), she was launched for E.T.Gourlay, Sunderland in Apr.1863. On 30th Jul.1864 she started a single round voyage from London to Quebec and Montreal under charter to British Colonial Steamship Co. She made three further round voyages to Canada in 1872, commencing in May and was sold in 1888. Scrapped at Genoa in 1900. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.670]

HEINZ HORN / LIVARDEN / CRETE AVON 1928
The Norwegian LIVARDEN was a cargo ship built by F.Schichau, Elbing in 1928 for H.C.Horn of Hamburg as the HEINZ HORN, and was 4,091 gross tons. At the end of WWII she was earmarked for transfer to Holland, but this does not appear to have happened, and she eventually passed to the Norwegian shipowner, Johan Eliassen of Bergen in 1947. She was then renamed LIVARDEN and stayed with this company until 1954 when she was purchased by the Crete Shipping Co of London and renamed CRETE AVON. On October 7th 1955 she broke down while 400 miles West of the Azores while on passage from Antwerp to Havana with a cargo of iron and steel. The ship's engineers tried for nine days to repair her and she was eventually towed to Ponta Delgada by the Dutch tug THAMES. After it was discovered that she had a fractured crankshaft, she was towed to Falmouth, where she lay for 4 months and was eventually towed to the Mersey for repairs. I don't have any later information on this ship. [Sea Breezes magazine, April 1956.]

HEKLA 1882
The first HEKLA was a 2,788 gross ton ship, length 313ft x beam 39.2ft, one funnel, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 12-1st, 16-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers. Built by Kockums Mekaniska Verkstads, Malmo for the Thingvalla Line of Copenhagen, she started her maiden voyage on 25th Mar.1882 when she left Copenhagen for Christiania (Oslo), Christiansand and New York. Her sixth and last completed round voyage started 13th Dec.1882 and on 17th Feb.1883 she foundered near Faerder Fyr, Norway while on passage from Copenhagen to New York. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1050]

HEKLA / EDUARD REGEL / MINSK 1894
The HEKLA was a 3258 gross ton ship, length 330.2ft x beam 41.9ft, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. Accommodation for 40-1st, 30-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Scott & Co, Greenock, she was launched for the Thingvalla Line of Copenhagen on 29th Feb.1894. Her maiden voyage from Copenhagen to Christiania (Oslo), Christiansand and New York started on 14th May 1884. Slightly damaged with the SS MISSISSIPPI off the Newfoundland Banks on 27th May 1897 and started her last voyage for Thingvalla Line on 24th Aug.1898. Taken over by Scandinavian American Line, she continued on the same route until commencing her last voyage on 11th Jan.1905. Sold to Danish owners, she was renamed EDUARD REGEL and in 1909 was sold to Russia and renamed MINSK. She was scrapped in 1910. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1051]

HELENA SLOMAN 1850
The HELENA SLOMAN was built by T & W. Pim, Hull in 1850 for the Sloman Line of Hamburg, and was the first German transatlantic steamer. She was an 800 gross ton ship, length 220.5ft x beam 26.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 9 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 42-1st, 32-2nd and 236-steerage class. Launched in 1850, she left Hamburg on her maiden voyage for New York on 28th May 1850, but had to put in to Deal (Kent, UK) for machinery repairs and didn't arrive at New York until 1st July. She started her second westbound voyage on August 11th with 13-1st, 34-2nd and 145-steerage passengers, but lost her bowsprit during a hurricane and arrived New York on 4th Sept. On her third voyage from Hamburg on Oct.26th, she made an intermediate call at Southampton and left there on 1st Nov. On 19th Nov. she encountered a severe gale and was struck by an exceptionally heavy sea which damaged her sternpost, rudder and propeller, causing a serious leak. She was sighted by the British sailing packet DEVONSHIRE on Nov.28th and was in a sinking condition. Her passengers and crew were taken off, but nine lives were lost in an accident to one of the boats. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.195-198]

HELENSLEE 1862
Completed in Jan. 1862 by Archibald McMillan, Dumbarton for P. Henderson, she was a 798 gross ton, three masted, full rigged ship, length 162ft x beam 33.4ft with a wooden hull. She was a slow, but steady ship and never made a passage in less than 100 days and although she carried passengers, was more of a cargo ship. 1864 transferred to the Albion Line and made seven annual voyages to either Dunedin or Auckland. In 1876 she was sold after seven voyages to unknown Norwegian owners and was deleted from Lloyds Register in 1883 - fate unknown.

HELIOPOLIS / ROYAL GEORGE 1907
The "Royal George" was an 11,146 gross ton ship, built by Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow in 1907 as the "Heliopolis" for the British owned Egyptian Mail Co. Her details were - length 525.8ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a service speed of 19 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 344-1st, 210-2nd and 560-3rd class. Launched on 28th May 1907 she was used on the Marseilles - Alexandria service, but was found to be unprofitable and was laid up in Marseilles in 1909 and offered for sale. In 1910 she was purchased by Canadian Northern Steamships of Toronto and renamed "Royal George". Refitted for North Atlantic service, she commenced Avonmouth - Quebec - Montreal sailings on 26th May 1910. On 6th Nov.1912 she stranded near Quebec, was refloated and sailed for Halifax for further repairs on 12th Dec. and then proceeded to Liverpool. She resumed Avonmouth - Quebec - Montreal voyages on 17th Jun.1913. On 3rd Oct.1914 she sailed from Gaspe Bay for Plymouth with part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force and was then taken over as a British troopship. The fleet was purchased by Cunard SS Co in 1916, but the "Royal George" continued trooping for the rest of the war. She resumed passenger voyages on 10th Feb.1919 when she started the first of five Liverpool - Halifax - New York sailings and started her first Southampton - Halifax - New York voyage on 15th Aug.1919. Her ninth and last voyage on this service commenced 10th Jun.1920 and she was then used as an emigrant depot ship at Cherbourg. In 1922 she was scrapped at Wilmhelmshaven. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1433] There is an excellent article written by Capt.F.J.Thompson who commanded the "Royal George" from 1911 and through part of the Great War, including the Gallipoli landings; in Sea Breezes magazine, Oct.- Nov.1960 (vol.30, Nos. 178-179). It describes the day to day life of the ship, both as a passenger vessel and as a troopship.

HELLIG OLAV 1902
10,085 gross tons, length 500.8ft x beam 58.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots. Accommodation for 130-1st, 140-2nd and 1,400-3rd class passengers. Built by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, she was launched for the Scandinavia-American Line of Copenhagen on 16th Dec.1902. Her maiden voyage started on 25th Mar.1903 when she sailed from Copenhagen for Christiania (Oslo), Christiansand and New York. In 1922 her accommodation became cabin and 3rd class only, and in 1927 became cabin, tourist and 3rd class. Her last voyage started 6th Sep.1931 from Copenhagen to Oslo, New York, Christiansand, Oslo and Copenhagen and she was then laid up until 1933 when she was scrapped at Blyth. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1240]

HELVETIA 1864
The HELVETIA was a 3,318 gross ton ship, built in 1864 by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne for the National Line of Liverpool. Her details were - length 371.5ft x beam 41.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Launched on 16/11/1864, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on 28/3/1865. She started her last voyage on this service on 25/5/1871 and on 11/7/1871 commenced London - Havre - New York sailings. Rebuilt to 3,982 gross tons in 1872 and fitted with compound engines by J.Penn & Sons, London in 1873-4, she resumed Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyages on 14/10/1874. In 1877 she was lengthened to 419ft, 4,588 tons, saloon cabins rebuilt amidships, and with accommodation for 72-1st and 1,200-3rd class passengers. >From 1877 to 1886 she continued on the Liverpool to New York service, and from 1886 to 1891 was used from either Liverpool or London to New York. Her last Liverpool - Queenstown - New York sailing started on 26/3/1891 and she resumed London - New York sailings on 6/8/1891. On 8/9/1892 she started her last voyage on this service and in 1893 was sold to French owners. She was abandoned and lost off Cape Finisterre in April 1894, while on voyage to shipbreakers. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.612]

HELVETIA 1879 see AUGUST ANDRE 1874

HENRY CLAY 1845
The HENRY CLAY was a well known packet ship, built by Brown & Bell, New York for Grinnel & Minturn's Swallowtail Line. She was 1402 tons, length 189.5 ft and with an exceptional depth of 30ft. In 1846, she went ashore on the beach at Barnegat, NJ, under the command of Captain Nye, with the loss of six lives but was refloated.  She was later burnt out, her charred hulk bought by Spofford & Tileston in 1852, rebuilt and sailed for many years on their Liverpool Line. She carried a crew of Master, four mates, carpenter, cook, steward, 30 seamen and two boys. ["Greyhounds of the Sea, The Story of the American Clipper Ship" by Carl C.Cutler] ["The Western Ocean Packets" by Basil Lubbock]

HENRY EDYE 1879
2,417 gross tons, length 311ft x beam 35ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. Launched on 25th Mar.1879 by W. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland for the White Cross Line (Daniel Steinmann), Antwerp. 2nd Jun.1879 maiden voyage Sunderland - Antwerp - New York. On 19th Nov.1881 she sailed from Antwerp for New York and disappeared without trace with the loss of about 45 lives. Funch, Edye & Co were the company's New York agents and brokers. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2, p.180 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

HERCYNIA / ELBERFELD 1889
The HERCYNIA was built by Armstrong, Mitchell & Co Ltd, Walker-on-Tyne (engines by Wallsaend Slipway Co) in 1889 as the ELBERFELD for the Deutsch-Australische Line (Germany-Australia Line). She was a 2,630 gross ton ship, length 310ft x beam 39ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 8-1st and 322-3rd class passengers. Launched on 30/5/1889, she made a few passenger voyages between Hamburg and Australia, but later continued with cargo only. In February 1894, she went to Hamburg America Line and was renamed HERCYNIA. She started the first of three North Atlantic passenger voyages on 9/7/1895 when she sailed from Hamburg for Boston and Baltimore, and her last started on 18/4/1898 when she left Hamburg for Boston. In 1905 she became the Russian owned LACHTA, and from 1918 - 1922 was owned by the Finnish government. She was then returned to Russia, but by 1934 was no longer listed. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.401]

HERDER 1873
The HERDER was built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow in 1873 for the Adler Line of Hamburg. She was a 3,494 gross ton vessel, length 375.1ft x beam 40ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sails), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 90-1st, 100-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 22/10/1873, she sailed from Hamburg on her maiden voyage to New York on 8/1/1874 and on 23/3/1875 commenced her last voyage for this company from New York to Plymouth, Cherbourg and Hamburg after a total of 8 round voyages. She was then purchased, together with the rest of the Adler Line fleet, by the Hamburg America Line. On 9/6/1875 she started the Hamburg - Havre - New York service and in April 1880 was rebuilt with two funnels. She left Hamburg on her last voyage for Havre and New York on 13/9/1882 and was wrecked near Cape Race with no loss of life on 9/10/1882.

HEREDIA / GENERAL PERSHING 1908
4943 gross tons, length 392ft x beam 50ft, one funnel, two masts, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 100 passengers. Built in 1908 by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast for the UK flagged Tropical SS Co. 1914 Transferred to Heredia SS Co, registered in the USA. 1922 Owned by United Fruit Co. 1933 Chartered to States SS Co, renamed GENERAL PERSHING and used on Trans-Pacific services. 1937 stopped carrying passengers, returned to United Fruit Co and renamed HEREDIA again. 19th May 1942 torpedoed and sunk by U.506 at position 28.53N 91.03W with the loss of 35 lives.["Going Bananas" 100 years of American Fruit Ships in the Caribbean by Mark H,Goldberg, ISBN 1-879180-01-8, contains more info and photo of the ship] [A Careless Word - A Needless Sinking by Capt.Arthur R.Moore]

HERMANN 1847
The HERMANN was a 1,734 gross ton ship, length 234.9ft x beam 39.5ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), wooden construction, side paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 9 knots. There was accommodation for 140-1st and 44-2nd class passengers. (2nd class accommodation was later increased to 200 passengers) Built by Westervelt & McKay, New York (engines by Novelty Iron Works, New York), she was launched on 30th Sep.1847 for the US owned Ocean Steam Nav.Co. Her maiden voyage started on 21st Mar.1848 when she left New York for Southampton and Bremen and she continued this service until starting her last Bremen - Southampton - New York crossing on 17th Jun.1857. By this time wooden paddle steamers were out of date and the company suspended operations. In 1858 the HERMANN was sold for service in the Pacific and she was wrecked on Point Kwatzu, Japan on 13th Feb.1869 with the loss of 275 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.188-9]

HERMANN 1865
This was a 2,873 gross ton ship, built by Caird & Co. Greenock for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. Her details were - length 318ft x beam 40ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st, 120-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. She was originally laid down as the EUROPA but was actually launched in June 1865 as the HERMANN. She sailed on her maiden voyage from Bremen to Southampton and New York on 17/12/1865. In 1872 her engines were compounded at Southampton and on 22/12/1892 she commenced her last voyage Bremen - New York. In 1893 she was sold and was scrapped in 1896. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.545]

HERMANN / HERO / SUCCESS / JACOB LUCKENBACH 1881
The HERMANN of 1881 was built by the Sunderland Shipbuilding Co (engines by G.Clark, Sunderland)for D.G.Pinkney & Sons but was bought on the stocks by the White Cross Line of Antwerp. Her details were - 2,879 gross tons, length 322.2ft x beam 40ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts, rigged for sail,iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Launched on 28/4/1881, she sailed from Antwerp on her maiden voyage to New York on 30/6/1881. On 3/12/1894 she commenced her last crossing from Antwerp to Boston and New York and was sold to Norwegian owners and renamed HERO the same year. In 1907 she went to US owners and was renamed SUCCESS and was resold to US owners in 1908 and named JACOB LUCKENBACH. On 5/7/1916 she was sunk in collision with the EDDYSTONE near Downs light vessel in the English Channel. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.825]

HERO 1861
899 gross tons, length 224.3ft x beam 29.2ft, iron hull, clipper bow, official number 29325. Fitted with passenger accommodation. Completed by C.& W. Earle, Hull (Yard No.61) in 1861 for Thos Wilson, Sons & Co, Hull who ran ships to Scandinavia and Baltic Ports. Sold in 1862 to Colonel William Whitworth who was an American Confederate agent, presumably for use as a blockade runner but was never used as such, and returned to Liverpool for sale. Purchased by the Black Ball Line, Liverpool in 1863 and re-sold the same year to Bright Bros, Melbourne. Sold in 1873 to Grice, Sumner & Co, Melbourne and in Oct.1888 went to the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand. Sold to Australian owners in 1888 subject to mortgage, she was repossessed in 1890 due to non payment and laid up. In 1891 she went to La Societe Le Nickel, Noumea for use as a hulk, was blown ashore in a hurricane at New Caledonia and wrecked in Jan.1901. [Wilson Line by John Harrower]

HERO 1866
The HERO was a 1,028 gross ton ship, length 229.3ft x beam 30.6ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw. Built by C & W. Earle, Hull, she was launched in Feb.1866 for the Wilson Line of Hull. Used on the Scandinavia/Baltic to UK service, she was badly damaged on 22nd Jun.1895 when in collision with the Lamport & Holt Line ship BESSEL in the English Channel. Sold and scrapped at Hull the same year. [Wilson Line by John Harrower] [The Wilson Line of Hull 1831-1981 by A.G.Credland & M.Thompson]

HESPERIA 1882
The HESPERIA was built by D.& W. Henderson Ltd, Glasgow in 1882 for the Barrow Steamship Co Ltd Indian service. She was a 3,037 gross ton ship, length 340.5ft x beam 37.7ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 447 cabin passengers. Launched on 7th Feb.1882, she sailed on her maiden voyage in May from Glasgow for Liverpool and Bombay and made her first voyage from Glasgow to Liverpool, Calcutta, Port Said, Gibraltar, New York and Glasgow in June 1884. She made five voyages on this service between 1884-90, and between 1891-94 made six sailings between Glasgow - Mediterranean - New York - Glasgow. From 1894-95 she sailed on the Glasgow - Liverpool - Calcutta route and was purchased by Anchor Line on 16th July 1896. Her steerage accommodation was increased to carry 760 passengers and she started her first Leghorn - Messina - New York and return voyage on 23rd Dec.1896. Her 31st and last Mediterranean sailing started 24th Oct.1903 when she left Leghorn for Naples and New York and she was sold for scrap in Italy on 24th Oct.1905.
[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.462] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line]

HESPERIAN 1907
The HESPERIAN was built by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow in 1907 for the Allan Line. She was a 10,920 gross ton ship, length 485.5ft x beam 60.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 210-1st, 250-2nd and 1,000-3rd class. Launched on 20/12/1907, she left Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 25/4/1908. In January 1910 she was chartered to Canadian Pacific and completed a single round voyage between Liverpool and St John NB. On 4/9/1915 she was torpedoed off Fastnet by the German submarine U.20, and on 6th September she sank 130 miles west of Queenstown (Cobh) after unsuccessful attempts to tow her to port. There were 32 deaths. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.324]

HESSEN / BULLA / WEISSESEE 1905
5,098 gross tons, length 130.54m x beam 16.10m, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Cargo steamer.
Built 1905 by J. C. Tecklenborg A.G., Geestemunde for North German Lloyd, Bremen for the Bremen - Australia freight service. 4th Aug.1914 seized by Australian authorities at Port Phillip, Victoria renamed BULLA. 1918 owned by Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, London. 1926 sold to W. Schuchmann, Bremerhaven renamed WEISSESEE. 25th July 1943 bombed and sunk at Hamburg. 1949 raised and scrapped. [Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen by Edwin Drechsel, vol.1 contains photo]

HIBERNIA / HABANOIS 1842
The HIBERNIA was a 1,422 gross ton ship, length 219ft x beam 35ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, wooden hull, side paddle wheel propulsion, speed 9 knots. Accommodation for 120-1st class passengers. Launched on 8th Sep.1842 by Robert Steele & Sons, Greenock (engines by Robert Napier, Glasgow) for the British & North American Royal Mail Steam Packet Co (which later became Cunard Line). She started her maiden voyage Liverpool - Halifax - Boston on 19th Apr.1843 and on 31st Aug.1849 stranded near Halifax, but was repaired at New York. Her last Liverpool - Halifax - Boston voyage commenced 24th Aug.1850 and she was then sold to the Spanish Navy and renamed HABANOIS. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.141]

HIBERNIAN 1860
The HIBERNIAN was built by Wm.Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, Scotland in 1860 for the Montreal Ocean SS Co, which in 1897 became the Allan Line. She was a 1,888 gross ton ship, length 280ft x beam 37.7ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 101-1st, 30-2nd and 324-3rd class passengers. Launched on 11/1/1861, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 23/5/1861. In 1871 she was lengthened to 351.2ft; 2,752 tons and on 17/8/1871 resumed the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal service. On 19/12/1871 she commenced her first Liverpool - Halifax - Norfolk - Baltimore sailing and on 23/10/1883 started her last voyage from Liverpool to Halifax and Baltimore. On 28/3/1884 she was transferred to the Glasgow - Philadelphia route for two round voyages and then on 25/6/1884 to the Glasgow - Boston route for two further round voyages. In 1885 she was rebuilt to a tonnage of 3,440 tons, two masts and re-engined. On 5/8/1885 she resumed the Glasgow - Philadelphia service and on 19/12/1900 commenced her final voyage from Glasgow to Boston. In 1901 was scrapped in Germany. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.309]

HIGHLAND CHIEFTAIN 1928 / CALPEAN STAR
14,131 gross tons, length 545ft x beam 69.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 150-1st, 70-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for the Nelson Line on 21st Jun.1928 and started her maiden voyage on 21st Feb.1929 when she left London for Buenos Aires and intermediate ports. 1932 transferred to Royal Mail Lines. 1939 converted to a troopship. Oct.11th 1940 damaged in an air raid on Liverpool. In 1948 she resumed commercial service to the River Plate and continued on this route until she was sold to Calpe Shipping Co, Gibraltar in Jan.1959. Renamed CALPEAN STAR, for use in the whaling industry as a store, accommodation and frozen whale meat transporter. In Mar.1960 she suffered grounding damage off South Georgia and was towed to Montevideo for repairs. After repair, when homeward bound, she was grounded after a boiler room fire, was abandoned and slowly disintegrated until 1965 when the wreck was cut up for scrap. [Merchant Fleets, vol.5 by Duncan Haws and personal accounts]

HIGHLAND ENTERPRISE / NORTHLAND / THORLAND 1903
Built for the Nelson Line in 1903 by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow. 5,155 gross tons, length 385ft x beam 51ft (117,35m x 15,54m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, 10 knots. Entered service in 1903 on the Liverpool - River Plate run, sold to Kaye, Son & Co. Ltd, London in 1930 and renamed NORTHLAND. In 1932 she was sold to London Whaling Co, renamed THORLAND and used as a frozen whale meat carrier. In 1938 she was sold to Christian Salveson & Co and used for the same purpose, and in 1946 was sold to the Norwegian government and employed as a store ship at Oslo. Scrapped in 1951 at Faslane.

HIGHLAND GHILLIE / SEA KING / OTARAMA / CONSTANTIN / RIVER TYNE / SPA 1890
Built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland in 1890. 3,935 gross tons, length 365.1ft x beam 47.1ft (111,28m x 14,35m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, 10 knots. Built as the "Sea King" for Wm Ross & Co, she was acquired by J.B.Westray who installed the refigerating machinery and insulated cargo space. Later the same year she was purchased by New Zealand Shipping Co and renamed "Otarama". In 1902 she was bought by Nelson Line and renamed "Highland Ghillie" and employed on the River Plate service. Sold to Michael Jebson of Hamburg in 1912, renamed "Constantin", the outbreak of the Great War in 1914 found her in Varna and she was sold to M.Gumuchdjian of Varna, Bulgaria. Renamed "River Tyne" in 1924 and transferred to British registration, again renamed "Spa" in 1925 and transferred to the Belgian flag and registered in Antwerp. Scrapped at Rotterdam in 1933.
 
HIGHLAND HEATHER 1904
Built 1904 for Nelson Line by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow, she was 6,027 gross tons, length 390ft x beam 52ft (118,87m x 15,98m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, 12 knots. Entered service June 1904, Liverpool - River Plate. 26th Nov.1916 she was damaged by a German torpedo in the Mediterranean but reached port and was repaired. Laid up at Dunston-on-Tyne in 1927, and scrapped at Hayle, Cornwall in 1930.

HIGHLAND LADDIE / JAMAICA SETTLER 1910
7,117 gross tons, length 405.8ft x beam 56.1ft, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 80-1st, 36-2nd and 400-steerage class passengers. Built 1910 by Cammel Laird & Co, Birkenhead as the passenger / cargo ship HIGHLAND LADDIE for Nelson Line's London - River Plate frozen meat service. In 1929 she was sold to Jamaica Direct Fruit Line Ltd (Kaye, Son & Co), London for the Caribbean banana trade to the UK and renamed JAMAICA SETTLER. Scrapped in 1935. [Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1910 by W. A. Schell]

HIGHLAND LAIRD / BLUE PETER 1899
Built in 1899 by R.Duncan & Co, Port Glasgow, 4,117 gross tons, one funnel, two masts, length 375.2ft x beam 48ft (114.35m x 14,63m), single screw, 11 knots. Entered service for Nelson Line in 1899 on Liverpool - River Plate trade. 31st May 1915 she escaped from a submarine attack in St Georges Channel. Sold in 1928 to Job Bros & Co, St Johns, Newfoundland and renamed BLUE PETER. Scrapped in 1938.

HIGHLAND MARY / BRODLAND 1891
Built in 1891 by Craig Taylor & Co, Stockton-on-Tees, this was a 2,989 gross ton ship, length 310ft x beam 41.2ft (94,49m x 12,55m), one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Completed in July 1891, she was
employed Liverpool - River Plate until 1911, when she was sold to Blue Star Line and renamed BRODLAND. On 20th Jan.1915 she was wrecked on Aberavon Beach, South Wales while on voyage Port Talbot - Punta Arenas.

HIGHLAND MONARCH 1928
The HIGHLAND MONARCH was built for Nelson Line in 1928 by Harland and Wolff, Belfast. She was a 14,137 gross ton motorship, length 523.4ft x beam 69.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 150-1st, 70-intermediate and 500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 3rd May 1928, she sailed from London on her maiden voyage on 18th Oct.1928. Her normal route was London - Leixoes(Portugal)- Lisbon - Las Palmas - Rio de Janeiro - Santos - Montevideo - Buenos Aires. She would embark mainly 1st and intermediate passengers at London and 3rd or emigrant class at Portuguese ports. In 1932 she was incorporated into Royal Mail Line, but continued on the same service. Requisitioned as a troopship in 1940, she was returned to her owners after the war and refitted to 14,216 tons and with accommodation for 104-1st and 335-3rd class passengers, and resumed service in 1946. She continued in this service until 1960 when she was scrapped at Dalmuir. [Great Steamers, White and Gold. A History of Royal Mail Ships and Services, by R.Baker and A.Leonard]

HIGHLAND PRINCESS / MARIANNA / GUANGHUA 1929
as HIGHLAND CHIEFTAIN above, but resumed commercial service in 1947. 1959 sold to John Latsis, Piraeus renamed MARIANNA. 1960 sold to Czechoslovakia renamed SLAPY. 1960 sold to China renamed GUANGHUA, she was reportedly scrapped in the early 1980s

HIGHLAND ROVER 1910
Built in 1910 by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow for Nelson line. 7,244 gross tons, length 405ft x beam 56.2ft (123.44m x 17,12m), one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st, 36-intermediate and 400-steerage passengers. In March 1910 she inaugurated a London - Vigo - Las Palmas - Rio de Janeiro - Montevideo - Buenos Aires service, and was used for the Spanish & Portuguese emigrant trade to S. America. The passage time London - BA was 21 days and the 1st class fare was 34 UK Pounds. She continued this service until 1932 when she was scrapped at Grays, Essex. [All details from Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.5, Royal Mail Line & Nelson Line]

HILARY / HMS HILARY 1931
7403 gross tons, length 424ft x beam 56.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 80-1st and 250-3rd class passengers. Launched on 17th Apr.1931 by Cammel, Laird & Co, Birkenhead for Booth Line, Liverpool, she was used on thew Liverpool - Para - Manaos service. In 1940 she was converted to an Ocean Boarding Vessel, commissioned as HMS HILARY and used on North Atlantic patrols where she captured two Italian ships. 1942 returned to her owners and used as a North Atlantic convoy commodore ship. 1943 recommissioned as HMS HILARY, fitted with assault craft as an infantry landing ship. July 1943 used as Rear Admiral Sir Philip Vian's headquarters ship for the invasion of Sicily and carried the 1st Canadian Division and No.2 Royal Marine Commando. Sep.1943 used in same capacity for invasion of Salerno under Commodore G. N. Oliver. Dec.1943 returned to UK, based at Portsmouth. June 1944 acted as a headquarters ship for Normandy invasion. 1945 returned to owners and refitted. 1956 chartered to Elder Dempster & Co for their Liverpool - Lagos service. 1957 resumed Amazon service. 1959 scrapped at Inverkeithing. [Merchant Fleets vol.34 by Duncan Haws]

HILDEBRAND 1911
6,995 gross tons, length 440.3ft x beam 54.1ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 12.5 knots, accommodation for 218-1st and 406-3rd class passengers. Launched on 14th Feb.1911 by Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Greenock for the Booth Line, she was the company's largest ship. Her maiden voyage started 16th Apr.1911 when she left Liverpool for Le Havre and Manaos. On 5th Dec.1914 she was commissioned as the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS HILDEBRAND and allocated to the 10th Cruiser Squadron. 2nd Oct.1917 while escorting a convoy bound for the Clyde, she was closely missed by a torpedo which sank HMS DRAKE. 17th Jan.1919 returned to Booth Line and in October rescued the crew of the U.S. Schooner ERNST T. LEE off Para. 19th Jul.1932 left the Mersey for breaking up, but was laid up at Milford Haven in case trade picked up and she could be sold for further trading. Feb.1934 sold to J. Cashmore and scrapped at Newport, Mon. [Merchant Fleets, vol.34 by Duncan Haws]

HIMALAYA 1853
She was a 3,438 gross ron ship, length 113,39m x beam 13,51m, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Built with accommodation for 200-1st class passengers. Built by C.J.Mare, Blackwall, London, she was launched for the P&O Line on 24th May 1853 and was the world's largest ship at the time. Her maiden voyage from Southampton to Alexandria started on 20th Jan.1854 and she only made the one round voyage before the start of the Crimean War increased coal prices to such an extent that it was uneconomical to run her (she used 17 tons per day). In July she was sold to the British Government for use as a Crimea War troopship, and was retained after the war for trooping duties to India. In 1894 she was converted into a coal hulk and renamed HM HULK C.60. In 1910 she was based at Chatham, River Medway and in 1920 was sold to private owners at Portland Harbour. Bombed and sunk by German air attack on Portland Harbour in June 1940. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

HIMALAYA 1949
The HIMALAYA, 27,955 tons, 709ft x 90.5ft, twin screw, speed 22 knots, accommodation for 760-1st and 410-tourist class passengers. Built 1949 by Vickers-Armstrong, Barrow in Furness for P & O Steam Nav. Co. she started her maiden voyage on 6th Oct.1949 from Tilbury and made Bombay in 15 days, Melbourne (28 days) and Sydney (30 days). 1958 transferred to Sydney - Auckland - Vancouver - San Francisco route. 1959 London - Sydney - transPacific serrvice. 1963 converted to single class ship. Made her last voyage UK - Hong Kong in Oct.1974 and was then sold to Mitsui for scrapping at Taiwan. [Merchant Fleets vol.1 by Duncan Haws]

HINDOSTAN 1842
HINDOSTAN (sp), 2018 gross tons, length 217.5ft x beam 35.7ft, two funnels, three masts (rigged for sail), wooden hull, side paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 102 passengers. Built by Thomas Wilson & Co, Liverpool, she was delivered to P&O Line in Sep.1842 and left Southampton for Calcutta via Gibraltar, Cape Verde, Ascension, St.Helena, Cape Town, Mauritius and Galle. In 1843 she opened the Calcutta - Madras - Galle (Ceylon) - Suez service, and in 1849 was visited by Queen Victoria and Prince Albert while moored off the Isle of Wight. Returned to the Calcutta - Suez run in 1850 and in 1860 was chartered to the Madras Government for trooping to China. Withdrawn from service in 1862, she became a store ship at Calcutta until Oct.1864 when she was wrecked at Calcutta in the Great Cyclone. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, P&O Line]

HISPANIA 1880
3,189 gross tons, length 364.3ft x beam 38ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built by D.& W.Henderson Ltd, Glasgow for the Anchor Line's Indian service, she was launched on 24th Apr.1880. Her maiden voyage started in Jun.1880 when she left Glasgow for Liverpool and Bombay and continued Bombay or Calcutta voyages between 1880-1889. In June 1889 she made a single round voyage between Glasgow - Liverpool - Calcutta - Trieste - Fiume - Naples - New York (arriving with 9-1st and 413-3rd class passengers) - Glasgow. She then returned to the India route until 1902 and was scrapped the following year.

HISPANIA / WANDRAHM / KRETA / TEBEA / BOSPORUS / NEDJAT / CELIKKALE 1890
Built as the WANDRAHM, she was a 2,578 gross ton ship, length 95,97m x beam 11,89m (314.9ft x 39ft), one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 10-1st and 550-3rd class passengers. Built by J.C.Tecklenborg, Geestemunde, she was launched for the Hansa Line on 1st Nov.1890. Her maiden voyage started on 1st Mar.1891 when she sailed from Hamburg for New York and her first Hamburg - Quebec - Montreal sailing started on 15th Jul.1891. In March 1892 she was purchased by Hamburg America Line and commenced her first Hamburg - Antwerp - Montreal voyage on 30th Apr.1892. Renamed HISPANIA in 1894 she started her first Hamburg - Montreal voyage under this name on 13th Oct.1894. Her subsequent voyages from Hamburg were mostly to New York, Montreal, Philadelphia or Baltimore. On 26th Mar.1898 she commenced her first sailing between Stettin and New York and started her eighth and last sailing on this service on 29th Oct.1900. Her last voyage started on 22nd Feb.1910 when she sailed from Hamburg for Boston and she was then sold to Emil Retzlaff, Stettin. In 1914 she was renamed KRETA and in 1915 became the TEBEA. Damaged by a severe explosion at Antwerp in 1917 and in 1919 surrendered to the Allies and was ceded to Belgium. Sold to F. Reinhold, Danzig in 1922 and renamed BOSPORUS, she was again sold in 1925 to Turkish owners and named NEDJAT. The spelling was changed in 1929 to NECAT and she again changed hands in 1964 when she became the Turkish owned CELIKKALE. She was finally scrapped in Turkey in 1966.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.398]

HOBSONS BAY / ESPERANCE BAY 1922
Built in 1922 by Vickers, Barrow for the Commonwealth Government Line the "Hobsons Bay" and was a sister ship to the famous "Jervis Bay". She was a 13,837 gross ton ship, length 549ft x beam 68.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 12 government sponsored 1st class passengers and 720-3rd class. There was also refrigerated cargo space for 360,000 cubic feet of frozen meat. Launched on 4th October 1921, she sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Brisbane on 28th February 1922. In 1928 she was sold to the White Star Line, registered at London, managed by the Aberdeen Line and continued on the London - Australia service. Rebuilt in 1931 to 14,198 tons and with single class accommodation for 512 tourist class passengers. After the financial collapse of the Kylsant shipping organisation, to which she belonged, a new company, the Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line was formed in April 1933 to take over the remaining assets. The ships were then managed by Shaw Savill & Albion Line, but retained the green hulls and colours of the Aberdeen Line. In 1936, the original "Esperence Bay" was transferred to Shaw Savill Line and renamed "Arawa" and the "Hobsons Bay" was renamed "Esperence Bay". In September 1939 she was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser at Brisbane and Cape Town and in 1941 was fitted out as a troop ship. Reconditioned after the war to 14,343 tons, she resumed the London - Southampton - Malta - Port Said - Aden - Columbo - Fremantle - Melbourne - Sydney emigrant service. On July 6th 1955 she arrived at Faslane for breaking up. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.2,p.174]

HOF 1914
4,705 gross tons, length 121.92m x beam 16.49m, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12½ knots. Cargo steamer.
Built 1914 by Alt. Ges. Neptun, Rostock for Deutsche Australische Line, Hamburg. Aug.1914 Laid up at Delagoa Bay on outbreak of war and seized by Portuguese authorities on 23rd Feb.1916. Renamed GAZA and managed by Transportes Maritimos do Estado, Lisbon until 1924 when she transferred to Soc. Geral de Commercio, Industria e Transportes Ltda, Lisbon. 1949 scrapped at Lisbon.

HOHENSTAUFEN 1873
was a 3098 gross ton ship, length 353ft x beam 39.1ft (107.59m x 11.91m), one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 142-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Launched by Earle's Shipyard, Hull on 24th Sep.1873 for North German Lloyd, Bremen, she started her maiden voyage from Bremen to Havre and New York on 1st Sep.1874. She made three voyages on this route, and on 4th Apr.1880 started the first of two Bremen - Christiania - New York sailings. Commenced South America voyages in 1881 and in 1886 she was rebuilt at Bremerhaven for the Imperial Mail Service to Australia which she started on 16th Jan.1887. Refitted in 1890 to carry 44-1st, 18-2nd and 558-tween deck passengers and laid up at Bremerhaven in May 1897. Scrapped at Brest the following year.[Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen by Edwin Drechsel]

HOHENZOLLERN 1873
The HOHENZOLLERN was built by Earle's Shipbuilding, Hull in 1873 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was a 3,092 gross ton ship, length 353ft x beam 39.1ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 142-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 24/5/1873, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Bremen to Southampton and Panama on 7/12/1873. On 12/5/1874 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to Havre and New York and on 6/2/1875 started her last Bremen - Southampton - New York voyage.(6 round voyages). On 1/3/1876 she inaugurated a service from Bremen to South America and on 5/5/1878 resumed sailings between Bremen, Southampton and New York. On 11/8/1886 she transferred to the Bremen - Suez - Australia service and in 1890 was rebuilt with triple expansion engines and accommodation for 44-1st, 18-2nd and 558-3rd class passengers. She commenced her last Australia voyage on 1/8/1894 and her last Bremen - New York voyage on 9/12/1895 (7 round voyages). In 1899 she was sold to Hong Kong, converted to a barge and subsequently scrapped.
[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.550]

HOLLAND 1870 see HUDSON 1858

HOLLANDIA 1909
7,291 gross tons, length 419.7ft x beam 54.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 91-1st, 116-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23rd Jan.1909 by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow for Koninklijke Hollandsch Lloyd (Royal Holland Lloyd), she started her maiden voyage on 14th Apr.1909 when she sailed from Amsterdam for South America. In Sep.1917 she sailed Amsterdam - New York and probably continued from there to South America. Her last Amsterdam - New York - Amsterdam voyage commenced 9th Nov.1918 and in Mar.1919 she made a trooping voyage from Brest to New York and then continued from there to South America. 1922 sold to Hamburg America Line and renamed HAMMONIA but on 8th Sep.1922 she struck a submerged object 75 miles west of Vigo, Spain and sank the following day. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.4 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

HOLSATIA / ROSSIJA / DNESTR / BLOKSHIF 1868
3,134 gross tons, length 339.9ft x beam 40ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 90-1st, 130-2nd and 520-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched on 9th Mar.1868 for the Hamburg America Line, Hamburg and started her maiden voyage on 10th Jun.1868 when she left Hamburg for Southampton and New York. Her last Hamburg - Havre - New York sailing started 14th Apr.1875 and she was then laid up and was re-engined in 1877. She resumed Hamburg - Havre - New York sailings on 30th Jan.1878 and made one more voyage on this route, starting 20th Mar.1878 before being sold to the Russian Volunteer Fleet and renamed ROSSIJA. In 1894 she transferred to the Russian Navy and was renamed DNESTR, and in 1910 became a hulk named BLOKSHIF No.5. She was scuttled in the Black Sea in Oct.1916. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1,p.389 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

HOLSATIA 1922 see FRISIA 1909

HUASCARAN / BEAVERBRAE / AURELIA / ROMANZA / ROMANTICA 1938
The BEAVERBRAE was built as the HUASCARAN for the Hamburg America Line by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg in 1938. She was built as a 10,480 gross ton ship with a length of 487.5ft x beam 60.3ft, one funnel, one mast single screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was accommodation for 32 passengers. Launched on 15/12/1938, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Hamburg to the West coast of South America and on her return was taken over by the German Navy and converted to a submarine depot ship. She spent most of her time in Norway where she was captured undamaged by the Allies in 1945. Taken over by the War Assets Corporation, she arrived in Liverpool in April 1947 for a refit. In June she sailed for Montreal as part of Canada's war reparations and was allocated to North American Transports Inc. for use as a cargo liner. At that time she was Canada's largest merchant ship. Purchased by Canadian Pacific on 2nd September 1947, she was renamed BEAVERBRAE and rebuilt to 9,034 gross tons, one funnel, two masts and with cabin accommodation for 74 passengers and dormitory accommodation for a further 699. On 8th February she sailed on her first voyage from St John NB with cargo for London (subsequent cargo voyages to Antwerp) and then to Bremen for passengers; and made 51 sailings from Bremen to Canada with displaced persons. She was the only "Beaver" ship to carry cargo eastbound and passengers westbound (the others were cargo ships) and was also the only one under Canadian registration and with a Canadian crew. Canadian Pacific worked with the International Refugee Organisation and with the Canadian Christian Council for the Relief of Refugees and the refugees were forwarded from collection points on the German frontiers to the despatching centre in Bremen. Here they were examined by Canadian government officials for health and security. Documentation and embarkation arrangements were handled by the Canadian Pacific office in Bremen. The BEAVERBRAE made an average of one sailing each month and usually carried between 500 and 700 emigrants, of whom approximately one in five were children. They were destined for friends or relatives in Canada and few could speak English. Before the ship reached port, the purser would issue each emigrant with an identification tag, indicating their destination. When advice was received in Montreal that the ship had left Bremen, arrangements were made for two special trains with colonist and baggage cars to be assembled at the port of entry. The first train would usually be routed to Montreal and Toronto, and the second to Winnipeg and points west, almost every car destined to a different part of the country. A special three-car unit was attached to each train to feed the refugees. One car was fitted as a kitchen, the second as a dining car by day and a sleeper for the crew at night, the third being used as a recreation and dining car for the passengers. The BEAVERBRAE made her last emigrant voyage when she left Bremen on 28th July 1954, having carried over 38,000 refugees to Canada. Sold to Compagnia Genovese d'Armamento, Genoa on 1/11/1954, she was rebuilt at Monfalcone to 10,022 tons and with accommodation for 1,124 tourist class passengers. Renamed AURELIA, she sailed from Trieste on 13/5/1955, via Suez to Australia and made later voyages from Genoa. Re-engined in 1958-59 and rebuilt to 10,480 tons, she started her first Bremen - Suez - Australia voyage on 12/6/1959. In June 1960 she made a Bremen - New York voyage for Council on Student Travel. She made a total of 34 round voyages between English Channel ports and New York between May 1962 and August 1969. In 1970 she was sold to Chandris Lines and was renamed ROMANZA in 1970, she was registered at Piraeus, refitted and used for cruising. Registered at Panama in 1977 and transferred to Armadora Romanza SA, Panama in 1979. The ship was sold to Ambassador Leisure, renamed Romantica in 1991 and cruised in the Eastern Mediterranean until 1997 when she caught fire returning to Cyprus from Egypt. Fortunately there were no casualties and after the ship was abandoned she was towed in Limassol. The burnt out hulk was scrapped the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.4, p.1760] [Canadian Pacific 100 years by George Musk] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.6, p.171]

HUDDERSFIELD 1872
The HUDDERSFIELD was a 1082 gross ton ship, three masts, iron hull, single screw, built by John Elder's Fairfield Yard in 1872 for the Great Central Railway's Grimsby to Hamburg service. On 26th May 1903 shee was in collision with the Norwegian ship UTO in the River Scheldte. At the time, she was carrying 45 emigrants from Antwerp to Grimsby and a general cargo and sank with the loss of 25 lives, all Eastern European emigrants.
[Sea Breezes Magazine, Jan.1959]

HUDSON / LOUISIANA / HOLLAND 1858
Built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne as the HUDSON for North German Lloyd in 1858. This was a 2,266 gross ton ship, length 307ft x beam 40.8ft, clipper stem, two funnels (later reduced to one), three masts (rigged for sails), iron construction and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 70-1st and 750-3rd class passengers. Launched on 12th Jun.1858, she started her maiden voyage on 11th Sep.1858. After this voyage she was damaged by fire in dock at Bremerhaven on 2nd Nov., towed to Palmer's yard where she was rebuilt and had one funnel removed. Purchased by Fernie Bros in 1862 and renamed LOUISIANA she commenced Liverpool - New York sailings on 22nd Mar.1863. Her fifth and last sailing for these owners on this service started 12th Nov.1863 and she was then sold to the National Line of Liverpool. She started Liverpool - Queenstown (Cobh) - New York sailings on 4th Feb.1864 and continued this service until 1869-70 when she was lengthened to 395.1ft; 3,847 gross tons and re-engined. Her 3rd class accommodation was increased to carry 1,300 passengers and she was renamed HOLLAND. She resumed Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyages on 20th Apr.1870 and on 19th Nov.1871 made a single round voyage between London and New York. Her last Liverpool - Queenstown - New York sailing started on 11th Sep.1872 and she transferred to London - New York voyages on 31st Oct.1872. Resumed Liverpool - Queenstown - New York on 7th May 1891 and made her last Liverpool - New York sailing on 12th Nov.1892. In 1893 she was sold to French owners and was scrapped in 1894. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.611]

HUDSON 1904
The HUDSON was a 5,558 gross ton ship, built by Chantiers de Normandie, Grand Quevilly, France in 1904 for French owners. Her details were - length 391ft x beam 50.5ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was capacity for 60-2nd and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23rd Nov.1904, she was purchased in 1905 by Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line) and sailed from Havre on 22nd Apr.1905 on her maiden voyage to New York. She made her last Havre - Bordeaux - New York voyage in March 1914, and resumed this service on 24th Oct.1914. In April 1915 she switched to Bordeaux - New York sailings due to the Great War and in 1919 she was chartered to Compagnie Canadienne Transatlantique and made three Havre - Quebec - Montreal voyages between Aug. and Oct.1919. She was scrapped at Ghent in 1930. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.633,635,638, vol.4,p.1483]

HUMBER 1854
536 gross tons, length 181ft x beam 25ft, clipper bows, iron hull. Launched by Alexander Denny, Dumbarton on 2nd June 1854 for Thos.Wilson, Sons & Co, Hull. 1860 lengthened to 211.5ft, 1873 re-engined, 1896 sold to Adolfo Magnano, Genoa, renamed MARIA ROSA. 1899 scrapped Genoa.

HUMBOLDT / SUMATRA 1871
The HUMBOLDT was built in 1871 by T.R.Oswald & Co, Sunderland for the German owners, Baltischer Lloyd (Baltic Lloyd]. She was a 1,801 gross ton ship, length 282ft x beam 36ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. I have no information on her passenger capacity, but she arrived in New York on her maiden voyage (16th July 1871) with 655 passengers. Launched in April 1871, she left Stettin on her maiden voyage to Copenhagen, Christiansand and New York on 27/6/1871. On 9/7/1874 she commenced the last sailing of the company before they ceased trading, from Stettin to Antwerp and New York (arr 3/8 dep 13/8) and return to Stettin.(15 round voyages). In 1874 she was sold to Raffaele Rubattino of Genoa and renamed SUMATRA and in 1881 went to Navigazione Generale Italiana. I have no info on her after this date. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.773]

HUNGARIA / SIEGFRIED / ADMIRAL / CETVRTI / IRISH BEECH 1884
The HUNGARIA was built by Reiherstieg, Hamburg in 1884 for the Hamburg America Line. She was a 2,008 gross ton ship, length 288ft x beam 36.4ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 10-1st and 480-3rd class passengers. Launched on 7/6/1884, she sailed from Hamburg on her maiden voyage to New York on 20/8/1884(one round voyage). On 15/9/1886 she commenced her first voyage from Stettin to Gothenburg and New York, and started her last sailing on this route on 11/11/1886 (2 round voyages). She made many subsequent voyages to New York, Baltimore, Quebec-Montreal, and Philadelphia, until 20/12/1895 when she left Hamburg on her last North Atlantic voyage to Philadelphia. In 1909 she was acquired by the German Navy, renamed SIEGFRIED and was used as a swimming hostel. In 1917 she was sold to Paulsen & Ivers, Hamburg and renamed ADMIRAL and in 1919 surrendered to Britain. Sold again to German owners in 1923, and in 1930 went to Yugoslavia and was renamed CETVRTI. In 1941 she was torpedoed near Malin Head, Eire and was sold and repaired. In 1941 she became the Irish Shipping Co IRISH BEECH until 1947 when she was scrapped at Dublin. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.394] [ Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

HUNGARIAN 1858
2,200 gross tons, length 298ft x beam 38.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 151-1st and 332-3rd class passengers. Launched on 25th Sep.1858 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for the Allan Line, she started her maiden voyage on 18th May 1859 when she left Liverpool for Quebec and Montreal. On 19th Feb.1860 she was wrecked on [Cape] Sable Island, N.S. with the loss of 237 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1, p.308 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

HURUNUI 1920
9243 gross tons, length 470ft x beam 62.5ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 15 knots. Built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co, Middlesborough and delivered to New Zealand Shipping Co in Oct.1920. Maiden voyage from Newcastle to New Zealand started 4th Feb.1921 and she was later fitted with refrigerated cargo capacity. On 14th Oct.1940 she was torpedoed and sunk 150 miles west of Cape Wrath when outward bound in ballast. The ship sank in 15 minutes with the loss of two lives. [Merchant Fleets vol.7, New Zealand Shipping Co, by D. Haws]
 

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: March 10, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli