FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - K

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

KAIKOURA / ZAIDA 1884
4474 gross tons, length 430ft x beam 36ft (131.06m x 14.02m), clipper bows, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 14 knots. Accommodation for 77-1st, 58-2nd and 230-emigrant class passengers. Built by John Elder & Co, Glasgow, she was delivered to the New Zealand Shipping Co, London in Sep.1884 and left London on 24th Oct.1884 on her maiden voyage to Cape Town, Wellington and Auckland. She continued this service until starting her last voyage for the company on 5th Feb.1899. Sold to the British India Steam Navigation Co in June 1900, she was renamed ZAIDA, refitted to carry 142-1st and 20-2nd class passengers and used on the Madras - Straits Settlements - Singapore route until she was scrapped in Italy in Jan.1907.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7, New Zealand Shipping Co]

KAIPARA 1903
The KAIPARA was a 7392 gross ton ship, length 460.4ft x beam 58.2ft (140.33m x 17.74m), one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots. Accommodation for 22-1st class plus 200 emigrants in temporary dormitory accommodation in the 'tween deck spaces. Built by John Brown & Co, Clydebank. she was delivered to the New Zealand Shipping Co in Nov.1903 and used primarily on the London - New Zealand service. On 16th Aug.1914 en route from Lyttelton to London and 170 miles southwest of Tenerife inbound to Las Palmas for bunkers, she was captured by the German armed raider KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE (ex-Hamburg America Line) and subsequently sunk by gunfire. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7]

KAISER / NEKROSOV / BENIOWSKI 1905
The KAISER was built in 1905 by AG.Vulkan, Stettin for the Elbe and coastal service of the Nordsee Line, but was taken over by Hamburg America Line. She was a 1,916 gross ton ship, length 303.1ft x beam 38.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. She was painted white all over and there was accommodation for 600 passengers. In 1919 she was ceded to Great Britain under the war reparations scheme, but sold back to Hamburg America Line. In 1921, the after funnel was removed and in 1945 she was surrendered to the USSR and was renamed NEKROSOV. In 1946 she was transferred to Polish owners and renamed BENIOWSKI. I have no further information on this ship. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

KAISER FRANZ JOSEF I / PRESIDENTE WILSON / GANGE / MARCO POLO 1911
The PRESIDENTE WILSON was built by Cantiere Navale Triestino, Monfalcone (engines by D.Rowan & Co, Glasgow) for the Austrian Company, Unione Austriaca of Trieste. She was a 12,567 gross ton ship, length 477.5ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was accommodation for 125-1st, 550-2nd and 1,230-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9/9/1911 as the KAISER FRANZ JOSEF I, she sailed from Trieste on her maiden voyage to Buenos Aires in February 1912. On 25/5/1912 she started her first voyage from Trieste to Patras, Palermo, Algiers and New York, and commenced her last sailing on this service on 13/6/1914. At the outbreak of the war in August 1914, she was at Trieste, and after the war, Trieste changed from Austrian to Italian rule and the company changed to Cosulich Societa Triestina di Navigazione. In 1919 she was renamed PRESIDENTE WILSON and on 5/5/1919 commenced her first voyage from Genoa to Marseilles and New York under the Inter-Allied flag and carrying mostly troops. On 24/6/1919 she commenced her first sailing from Trieste to Messina, Naples and New York, also with a large number of troops. It was not until her third peacetime voyage, and her first under the Italian flag, that she left Trieste on 12/9/1919 for Patras, Naples and New York with 97-1st, 371-2nd and 623-3rd class passengers. Between 1925-26 she was converted to oil fuel, and in November 1929 she commenced her last sailing from Trieste to Naples, New York (dep.7/12/1929), Boston, Naples and Trieste. In 1930 she went to Lloyd Triestino and was renamed GANGE, and in 1936 went to Adriatica and was renamed MARCO POLO. On 12/5/1944 she was scuttled by the Germans at Spezia and in 1949-50 was refloated and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1332]

KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE 1897
Norddeutscher Lloyd ship KAISER WILHELM DER GROSSE, built in 1897 by the Vulkan yard at Stettin, she was at the time the largest ship afloat. Her dimensions were 13,592 tons gross, length 627.4ft, beam 66ft, depth 35.8ft and she had a speed of over 22 knots. There was accommodation for 590-1st, 370-2nd and 800-steerage class passengers. She had a straight stem, two masts and four funnels. She sailed from Bremerhaven via Southampton to NY and held the transatlantic speed record at the time. In 1914 she was taken over by the German admiralty and fitted out as a commerce raider with a naval crew. She sank two British vessels and then rendezvoused with three colliers to refuel at the Spanish West African port of Rio de Oro. After refusing the Spanish governor's requests to leave, she was caught there by the cruiser HMS HIGHFLYER which ordered her to leave, and on her refusal, sank her in port.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.560]

KAISER WILHELM II / HOHENZOLLERN 1889
The KAISER WILHELM II was built by A.G.Vulkan at Stettin in 1889 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. Her dimensions were 4773 gross tons,Length 449.6ft x beam 51ft, Two funnels, four masts, single screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st, 80-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23/4/1889 she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage for Southampton and New York on 27/8/1889 and was then put straight onto the Bremen - Suez - Australia service. After six round voyages she was rebuilt to 6661 tons and on 22/10/1892 she sailed from Bremen for Southampton and NY. On 30/11/1892 she was transferred to the Genoa - Naples - NY service until on 5/6/1893 she sank at her berth at Genoa. She was refloated and on 8/7/1893 resumed the Bremen - Southampton - NY service until 8/11/1893 when she went back to the Genoa - Naples - NY run. On 18/12/1900 she left New York on her last voyage to Naples and Genoa and was then renamed HOHENZOLLERN Between 9/1/1901 and 21/5/1906 she ran between Genoa, Naples and New York and subsequently ran within the Mediterranean. On 10/5/1908 she ran aground at Alghero, Sardinia, was refloated and scrapped in Italy.

KAISER WILHELM II / AGAMEMNON / MONTICELLO 1902
The KAISER WILHELM II was built by A.G.Vulcan, Stettin for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd] in 1902. She was a 19,361 gross ton ship, length 684.3ft x beam 72.3ft, four funnels, three masts, twin screw and a speed of 23 knots. There was accommodation for 775-1st, 343-2nd and 770-3rd class passengers. Launched on 12th Aug.1902, she left Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton, Cherbourg and New York on 14th Apr.1903. In 1904 she made a record run from Cherbourg to Sandy Hook and in Sept.1906 broke the record between Sandy Hook and Eddystone (5 days, 11 hours, 58 mins at average speed of 23.58 knots). On 28th Jul.1914 she commenced her last voyage from Bremen - Southampton Cherbourg - New York, arriving on 5th Aug. She then took refuge in New York due to the outbreak of the Great War, and in April 1917 was seized by US authorities and renamed AGAMEMNON. In 1919 she want to the US shipping board and in 1927 was renamed MONTICELLO. She was scrapped at Baltimore in 1940. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.566]

KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA / EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND 1905
The KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA was built by A.G.Vulkan at Stettin in 1905 for the Hamburg America Line. At the time of her launching on 29th Aug.1905., she was the largest ship in the world. Her dimensions were, 24,581 gross tons, length 677.5ft x beam 77.3ft, two funnels, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 472-1st, 174-2nd, 212-3rd and 1,608-4th class passengers. She sailed from Hamburg on 10th May 1906 for Dover, Cherbourg and New York and made her last voyage on 23rd Jun.1914 for this company from Hamburg to Southampton, Cherbourg and NY and back to Hamburg. During the Great War, she was laid up at Hamburg and in March 1919 she surrendered to Britain and was chartered to the US Shipping Board who used her to repatriate troops from Europe. On 14th Feb.1920 she was chartered to Cunard who used her on their Liverpool - NY service and on 13th May 1921 she was sold to Canadian Pacific who renamed her EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND, refitted her to carry 459-1st, 478-2nd and 960-3rd class passengers. At the same time she was converted to oil fuel. On 22nd Jan.1922. she sailed on her first voyage Southampton - NY - Mediterranean cruise, on 22nd Apr.1922 made her 2nd trip Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec. On 14th Jun.1922 she transferred to the Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec service and in 1923 was in collision with the SS BONUS at Hamburg. In 1926 she was converted to 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class accommodation and in 1927 to 1st, tourist and 3rd class only. She made her last voyage from Southampton to Cherbourg and Quebec on 11th Oct.1930 and was then sold for scrap when the new EMPRESS OF BRITAIN came into service. She was gutted by fire and sank in the shipbreakers yard at Blyth, raised and scrapped.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.,p.412]

KAISERIN MARIA THERESIA / SPREE / URAL 1890
The KAISERIN MARIA THERESIA was built in 1890 as the SPREE for North German Lloyd of Bremen by AG Vulcan, Stettin. She was built as a 6,963 gross ton ship, length 463ft x beam 51.8ft, two funnels, three masts, single screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 244-1st, 122-2nd and 460-3rd class passengers. Launched on 17/5/1890, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 11/10/1890. On December 18th 1891 she came across the Guion Line (ex-Cunard Line) ABYSSINIA on fire in the Atlantic and preparing to abandon ship. The SPREE launched her own boats and rescued the full complement of the burning ship, 60 passengers and 88 crew. On 26/11/1892, when outward bound and about 1,000 miles from Queenstown, she broke her propellor shaft and flooded her two after compartments. With 750 people on board, heavily down by the stern and with no radio, she drifted for two days until sighted by the Beaver Line ship LAKE HURON, who towed her to Queenstown in under six days. She was repaired at Milford Haven and returned to service in 1893. In December 1895 she stranded on Warden Ledge near Hurst Castle, but after some days she was refloated and proceeded to Germany. In December 1896 she was put on the Cherbourg - New York service, but in July 1897 she again broke her propellor shaft and drifted for three days before being found by the Atlantic Transport Line's MAINE. She was once more towed to Queenstown and then to Southampton where she was repaired. On 16/11/1897 she commenced her last voyage from Bremen to Southampton and New York. In 1899 she was completely rebuilt by her builders. Lengthened to 526 ft, increased to 7,840 tons, re-engined, fitted with twin screws to give a speed of 20 knots, and fitted with three funnels and two masts. Her accommodation was altered to carry 405-1st, 114-2nd and 387-3rd class passengers and she was renamed KAISERIN MARIA THERESIA (some sources say THERESA). In June 1899 the rebuilding was complete, but on her way for trials in the North Sea she stranded in the Baltic Sea and was holed. Two salvage vessels and two German warships pulled her off and she proceeded under her own steam, only to strand again on her way back to Stettin. This time it took five tugs and an icebreaker to refloat her, but she was finally ready to resume service on 13/3/1900 when she sailed from Bremen for Southampton and New York. She made 29 round voyages as the KAISERIN MARIA THERESIA of which seven were Mediterranean - New York voyages. Her last crossing from Bremen to New York commenced on 26/9/1903 and she was sold to Russia the following year. Rebuilt as an auxiliary cruiser for the Russo-Japanese War, she was renamed URAL and in October 1904, left Kronstadt to join Rozhestvensky's fleet on it's way to Vladivostok. In May 1905, the URAL was used as a scout ship and was the first to sight Togo's fleet at Tsushima. In a suicidal action with Japanese heavy battleships, she was practically split in two by a 12 inch shell in the engine room and was then torpedoed and sunk by a Japanese destroyer. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.555] ["German Liner Spree" by Capt.J.H.Isherwood, Sea Breezes Magazine, April 1956]

KAMARIMA see SALAMIS 1899

KAMPALA 1947
10,304 gross tons, length 507ft x beam 66.2ft, one funnel, two masts, accommodation for 60-1st, 180-2nd and capacity for 1,400 deck passengers. Launched 10th Dec.1946 by Alex. Stephen & Sons, Linthouse, Glasgow for British India S.N. Co's Bombay - Durban service, she was completed on 28th Aug.1947. In 1955 she was painted white. 23rd Jul.1971 left Hong Kong for Kaohsiung, Taiwan where she was scrapped.

KANGAROO / SELAMET 1853
The KANGAROO was built by Laurence, Hill & Co., Port Glasgow* in 1853 for the newly formed Australasian Pacific Mail Steam Packet Co. This was an unsuccessful joint venture made by directors of the Royal Mail S.P.Co and Pacific Steam Nav.Co. Launched on 20th August 1853, she never sailed on the Australia service, but was chartered to the Admiralty for transport work. This was an 1,874 gross ton ship, length 257.4ft x beam 36.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. In 1854 she was purchased by the Inman Line and commenced sailings between Liverpool and Philadelphia on 30/7/1856. Her first Liverpool - New York sailing started on 11/2/1857 and her last Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyage commenced on 14/4/1869. In 1870 she became a British cable steamer, was fitted with compound engines and her masts reduced to two. Sold to Turkish owners in 1888, she was renamed SELAMET and was scrapped about 1901. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber, p.60-61][North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.239] * John Maber states that she was built by Hill of Bristol.

KANSAS 1882
5,276 gross tons, length 436.5ft x beam 43.8ft, one funnel, four masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built by C. Connell & Co., Glasgow (engines by J & J. Thomson, Glasgow) for the Warren Line, Liverpool, she was launched on 19th Jan.1882 and started her maiden voyage on 21st May 1882 from Liverpool to Boston. She continued this service until 1906 when she was scrapped at Spezia, Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2 by N, R. P. Bonsor]

KARAMANIA 1882
The KARAMANIA was built in 1882 by D & W.Henderson Ltd, Glasgow for the Barrow Steamship Co. She was a 3,148 gross ton ship, length 340ft x beam 39.2ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 12-1st and 562-3rd class passengers. Launched on 26/12/1882 for the Indian service, she made her maiden voyage in February 1883 from Glasgow to Liverpool and Calcutta. In April 1890 she made her first Glasgow - Liverpool - Calcutta (dep 14/6/1890)- Philadelphia - New York (arr 15/8/1890) voyage. In September 1890 she made her first of two Glasgow - Naples (dep 25/10/1890)- New York (arr 28/11/1890) voyages. On 16/1/1894 she was purchased by the Anchor Line of Glasgow and her steerage accommodation increased to 900. On 1/8/1896 she commenced her first Genoa - Messina - Naples - New York crossing and between 1896 and 1903 made 30 Mediterranean - New York round voyages. Her last voyage commenced 8/2/1903 when she left Marseilles for Palermo, Naples and New York (arr 9/3/1903) and she was scrapped the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.464]

KARANJA 1948
10,294 gross tons, length 507ft x beam 66.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 17.5 knots, accommodation for 60-1st, 180-2nd and 1,400-deck passengers. Launched on 10th Mar.1948 by Alex Stephen & Sons, Linthouse, Glasgow for British India S.N.Co and used on the East Africa service. 1969-70 refitted at Keppel Shipyard, Singapore to carry 493-cabin and 750-deck passengers. 1971 transferred to P & O General Cargo Division. 1973 P & O. S.N.Co became her owners. 1975 reverted to British India S.N.Co ownership. 1976 acquired by the Shipping Corporation of India, renamed NANCOWRY and placed on the Madras - Port Blair, Andaman Islands service with accommodation for 240-berthed and 800-deck passengers. She arrived at Bombay for scrapping in Nov.1988. [Merchant Fleets, vol.11 by Duncan Haws] [Sea Safari by Peter C. Kohler (contains photo) ISBN 1-872006-05-1] The Sea Safari book is still available. She also had a virtually identical sister ship named KAMPALA. Be careful if ordering photos as BI had an earlier KARANJA (1930-1942)

KARAPARA 1914
The KARAPARA was built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Newcastle in 1914 for the British India Steam Navigation Co. She was a 7,117 gross ton ship, length 425ft x beam 55.6ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15.5 knots. Originally ordered as the KARUNGA, she was registered on 21.8.1915 and entered service as Naval Hospital Ship No.17, with 341 beds and 200 medical staff. On 26.8.1915 she sailed for Gallipoli and operated in the Eastern Mediterranean, based at Alexandria. On 26.5.1917 she rescued 270 survivors from the hospital ship DOVER CASTLE and took them to Gibraltar. In 1919 she provided medical facilities at Istanbul during an exceptionally hot summer. Delivered to British India S.N.Co in 1920, she commenced sailings to East African ports as the KARAPARA. In the 1930s she transferred to the Straits (Malaya) route and also did some sailings to Port Sudan. She again became a hospital ship (No.36) with 338 beds and 123 medical staff in 1940, and served between the Red Sea and India. In April 1941, off Perim Island, Red Sea, en route to India, she was diverted to Aden to offload her patients, and then ordered to Tobruk to replace the hospital ship VITA which had been damaged by dive bombers. On her first voyage out of Tobruk, she was attacked by aircraft but escaped damage. However, on her second journey, she was bombed and set on fire at Tobruk, towed back into port, repaired and successfully sailed to Alexandria. She was eventually sold to the Steel Corporation of Bombay for scrapping on March 18th 1950. [Merchant Fleets, Vol.11, British India S.N.Co by Duncan Haws]

KARINA 1905
4,222 gross tons, length 370ft x beam 46.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 100-1st and 70-2nd class passengers. Launched by Alexander Stephen & Sons, Ltd, Glasgow on 4th May 1905 for African Steamship Co. (Elder Dempster & Co), London, she was used on the UK - West Africa service. On 30th Jul.1917 she was attacked by a submarine off the West coast of Ireland, but the torpedo missed. 1st Aug.1917 torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC.75 (Oberleutnant zur See Johannes Lohs), while 25 miles south of Hook Point, Waterford while on voyage Sierra Leone to Liverpool with passengers and a cargo of palm oil and kernels. 11 lives lost. [The Elder Dempster Line Fleet History by J. E. Cowden and J. O. C. Duffy, contains photo of the ship]

KARLSRUHE 1889
The KARLSRUHE was built by Fairfield Co. Ltd, Glasgow in 1889 for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 5,057 gross ton ship, length 415ft x beam 48ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts, steel construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 44-1st, 36-2nd and 1,955-3rd class passengers. Launched on 31st August 1889, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Bremen to Montevideo and Buenos Aires on 10th November 1889. On February 13th 1890 she started her first Bremen - New York - Baltimore crossing and on September 28th 1892 commenced her first voyage from Bremen to Australia via the Suez Canal. On 31st January 1894 she sailed on her first Bremen - Suez - Far East voyage and completed 7 voyages on this service. On 8th February 1902 she started her last voyage from Bremen to New York and Baltimore, on 18th December 1902 her last Bremen - Baltimore voyage (37 N.Atlantic crossings), 16th May 1906 saw her last Bremen - Australia voyage (19 voyages) and on 22nd September 1906 she started her last Bremen - S.America voyage (3 voyages). She was scrapped in 1908. (North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.554.)

KASHGAR 1874
Official Number 68549. Tonnage 2,621 gross tons, length 362.5ft x beam 36.8ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, two cylinder compound engine, speed 11 knots, accommodation for 80-1st and 40-2nd class passengers. Built by J. Laing, Sunderland (Yard No.360) and launched on 6th Oct.1873 as the BRABANT for John Ryde & Co, London. 3rd Mar.1874 purchased by P & O Steam Navigation Co. while fitting out and renamed KASHGAR. Used mostly on the India service with a few Australia voyages. 1886 converted to a cargo liner with accommodation for eight passengers. 1889 sold to F. H. Upton, Shanghai and used on Far East services, she was broken up in 1890 as unserviceable at Yokohama after being severely damaged on a voyage from Mauritius to Saigon, Hong Kong and Kobe.[P & O. A Fleet History by Rabson & O'Donoghue]

KASHMIR 1914 8,985 gross tons, length 480ft x beam 58ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, 14 knots. Accommodation for 80-1st and 68-2nd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Nav. Co (P&O Line), she was delivered in April 1914 and was used on the Far East service and sometimes to Australia. Requisitioned in Dec.1916 and used for trooping in the Mediterranean. In 1918 she was used to bring US troops and stores to Britain, and on 6th Oct she collided with and sank the Orient liner OTRANTO off Islay with the loss of 431 lives. Returned to P&O line Southampton - Capetown - Australia service in Mar.1919, the the Far East service. Scrapped at Japan in 1932.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

KATIE 1880
KATIE, 2,796 gross tons, length 320.8ft x beam 40.5ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 25-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow on 4th Nov.1880 for Stettiner Lloyd, Stettin, she started her maiden voyage on 15th Nov.1880 when she left Glasgow for Queenstown (for repairs) and New York. Her second voyage was in April 1881 from Stettin to Copenhagen, Christiansand, Newcastle and New York and she continued the New York service. In April 1886 she commenced her 26th and last sailing between Stettin, Gothenburg and New York and was then sold to Furness Line. In 1890 she went to J & M. Gunn & Co, Glasgow and was renamed DUNKELD. On 27th Mar.1895 while on passage Cardiff - Buenos Aires with a cargo of coal, she struck a submerged derelict off Lobos Island, Argentina and sank. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1056] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.37]

KATOOMBA / COLUMBIA 1913
The KATOOMBA was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1913 for McIlwraith, McEacharn Ltd of Melbourne. She was a 9,424 gross ton ship, length 466ft x beam 60ft, one funnel, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 16 knots. Her first voyage started 2nd Sep.1913 when she sailed from Sydney for Melbourne, Adelaide, Albany and Fremantle. Requisitioned as a troopship in May 1918 and refitted at Sydney in 1919-1920. She returned to passenger service in March 1920. She operated in Queensland and Western Australia coastal services and in cruising between 1932-1939 and in Feb.1942 was again converted to a troopship. Returned to her owners in 1946, she was sold to Goulandris Bros of Greece in July of that year and registered in Panama. Operated by the Greek Line, she was renamed COLUMBIA in 1949, transferred to the Bremen - Montreal sevice in June 1950, laid up at Piraeus in March 1958 and scrapped at Nagasaki in 1959. [Pacific Liners 1927-72 by Frederick Emmons]

KEDAR 1860 Gross Tonnage - 1,783 tons, dimensions - 84.05 x 11.03m, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots. Builder - William Deny & Bros., Dumbarton. Passenger accommodation - 40 1st Class, 494 3rd Class The KEDAR was launched for the Cunard Mediterranean service in August 1860 and sailed from the Clyde to Liverpool in October. Its maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York on 27 November 1860. For the rest of its career it sailed from Liverpool to the Mediterranean, except for two further trans-atlantic crossings. It had compound engines fitted by J.Jack, Rollo & Co., Liverpool in 1873. In 1897 it was sold to Workman, Clark & Co. for 2,105 and then resold to a Genoa buyer to be broken up.

KEEWATIN 1907
The KEEWATIN was a coal burning lake steamer, O.N.125985, 3856 gross tons, length 337ft x beam 44ft, accommodation for 279 passengers, launched by Fairfields, Govan on 6th Jul.1907 (Canadian Pacific). She left the Clyde on 14th Sep. with a cargo of drain pipes and arrived Montreal on 23rd Sep. On 5th Oct. she arrived at Davie Shipyard, Levis where she was cut in half and towed to Buffalo Dry Dock where she was rejoined. She entered service on 7th Oct.1908 on the Lake Huron/Lake Superior service and continued operating passenger services until 1965, and was then used for cargo. Sold for scrap in Nov.1966, but was saved and in June 1967 was towed from Port McNicoll to Tower Marina in Douglas, Michigan to become a Marine Museum. Her sister ship ASSINIBOIA was towed to West Deptford NJ in Aug.1968 for conversion to a restaurant, but was destroyed by fire.[Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

KEMMENDINE 1924
7837 g.t., 453.8ft x 59.2ft, single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 139-1st class passengers. Launched 23rd Jan.1924 by Wm. Denny & Bros., Dumbarton for P. Henderson & Co. Unusual in that she could burn coal or oil fuel. Used on the Glasgow - Mediterranean - Burma service. On 13th July 1940 while en route UK to Rangoon, she met the German surface raider ATLANTIS 700 miles south of Ceylon. After being shelled and set on fire, she was abandoned and 36 passengers and 107 crew were picked up by the ATLANTIS, who then sank the KEMMENDINE by torpedo. Some of the prisoners were transferred to the TIRRANA which was herself torpedoed by HMS TUNA off the Gironde with the loss of 31 KEMMENDINE survivors. Other prisoners were transferred to the Yugoslav ship DURMITOR which later grounded near Mogadishu, Italian East Africa. Later refloated, she proceeded to Kismayu where the prisoners were released when British forces captured the town.

KENILWORTH / RUSSLAND 1873
2,595 gross tons, length 345ft x beam 37.2ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 20-1st and 500-steerage class passengers. Built by Gourlay & Co, Aberdeen, she was launched in Aug.1872 as the KENILWORTH and started her maiden voyage for Red Star Line on 11th Jul.1873 when she left Liverpool for Philadelphia. After six voyages on this route, she was chartered to American Line on 25th Mar.1874 and used on the same service until Dec.1875 when she returned to Red Star Line. On 16th Mar.1876 she started her first Antwerp - New York sailing and the same year was renamed RUSSLAND, but was wrecked at Long Beach, New Jersey on 17th Mar.1877 with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2, p.850 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

KENSINGTON 1893
The KENSINGTON was built by J & G Thompson Ltd, Glasgow in 1893 for the American Line. She was a 8,669 gross ton vessel, length 480ft x beam 57.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 100-2nd and 929-3rd class passengers. Launched on 26/10/1893, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Philadelphia on 28/6/1894. On 28/8/1895 she started her first voyage for the Red Star Line from Philadelphia to New York and Antwerp, and her first sailing from Antwerp to New York on 21/9/1895. In 1899 or earlier, her 2nd class accommodation was increased to 250 and on 14/3/1903 she commenced her last Antwerp - New York voyage. She was then chartered to the Dominion Line and started her first voyage for them on 29/4/1903 when she sailed from Liverpool for Quebec and Montreal. Her last voyage started on 8/11/1908 when she left Montreal for Quebec and Liverpool and she was scrapped in 1910 in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.943]

KENYA / HYDRA / KEREN / FAIRSTONE / CASTEL FELICE 1930 12,150 gross tons, length 493ft x beam 64.3ft (150.3m x 19.6m), one funnel, one mast, twin screw, service speed 16 knots. Accommodation for 596-cabin and 944-3rd class passengers. Built by Stephen, Glasgow as the 9,890 gross ton KENYA for the British India Steam Navigation Co, she was launched on 27th Aug.1930 and was put onto the Bombay to Durban service. In 1940 she became a troopship and was later refitted as an infantry landing vessel. Renamed HYDRA in 1941 and renamed KEREN later the same year. In Apr.1946 she was sold to the Ministry of Transport and in Aug.1948 was laid up in Holy Loch. Stranded after breaking adrift in a gale in Feb.1949, she was refloated and repaired at Glasgow, renamed KENYA and sold to the Alva SS Co, London. Laid up at Glasgow, renamed KEREN and then KENYA again in the same year. In 1950 she was registered in Panama for the Alva SS Co (a subsidiary of Sitmar Line) and renamed FAIRSTONE. Again renamed KENYA in June 1950, registered in Italy by Sitmar Line in Oct.1950 and in Mar.1951 was renamed KEREN and sent to Antwerp for rebuilding. She proceeded to Genoa for further rebuilding in Aug.1951 and emerged in 1952 as the 12,150 gross ton CASTEL FELICE with accommodation for 1,400 single class passsengers. She left Genoa on 6th Oct.1952 on her first voyage to Sydney and was then used on the Genoa - South America service. On 13th Jul.1954 she started her first Bremerhaven - Quebec voyage and in 1955 she was refitted at Genoa to 12,478 gross tons and to carry 28-1st and 1,173-tourist class passengers. On 6th Apr.1958 she commenced her first Southampton - Sydney sailing and in 1968 was transferred to the ownership of Passenger Liner Service Inc, Panama (Sitmar), but continued on the same route. She arrived at Taiwan on 21st Oct.1970 to be scrapped. [Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.5 by Arnold Kludas]

KENYA 1950
The second KENYA was a 14,434 gross ton ship, 539.8ft x 71.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots. Accommodation for 150-1st and 123-tourist class passengers. Built in 1950 by Barclay Curle & Co, Whiteinch for British India S.N.Co, she was delivered on 25th Aug.1951 and made her maiden voyage from London to East Africa and Durban. In 1966 the Arab-Israel war closed the Suez Canal until 1975 and the service was re-routed via the Cape and became unprofitable. It was also badly affected by the Rhodesian Unilateral Declaration of Independence and resulting blockade. Converted to a single class ship in 1967 with accommodation for 309 passengers. 7th June 1969 arrived London after her final voyage and in Sep.1969 arrived at Spezia, Italy where she was scrapped.[Merchant Fleets vol.11 by Duncan Haws]

KERGUELEN / MEDUANA / WINRICH VON KNIPRODE 1921
10,123 gross ton passenger ship, length 484.2ft x beam 59.3ft, twin screw, speed 13 knots. Completed Dec.1921 by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd, Newcastle (Yard No.1131) as the MEDUANA for Cie. de Navigation Sud Atlantique, Bordeaux. 1928 sold to Chargeurs Reunis, Havre renamed KERGUELEN. 6th Aug.1940 seized by Germans at Bordeaux and operated by Kriegsmarine as transport for "Seelowe" - H.20. Nov.1941 transferred to German Government, managed by Reederei F. Laeisz, Hamburg, renamed WINRICH VON KNIPRODE. Jan.1945 became German hospital transport. Mar.1945 damaged. Nov.1945 returned to Chargeurs Reunis reverted to KERGUELEN and repaired. 13th Feb.1955 arrived at Antwerp for scrapping by Van Heyghen Freres.

KHALIF 1906
5,105 gross tons, length 124.8ft x beam 16.1ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Cargo steamer.
Built 1906 by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack for Deutsche Ost-Afrika Line and in Aug.1914 on the outbreak of war, she was laid up at Lourenco Marques. Feb.1916 seized by Portuguese authorities and renamed FERNAO VELOSO. Managed by Transportes Maritimos do Estado, Lisbon. 1925 transferred to Soc. Geral de Commercio, Industria e Transportes Ltda, Lisbon and renamed MIRANDELLA. 1955 scrapped at La Spezia.

KHANDALLA 1874
2,040 gross tons, length 316ft x beam 33.2ft, one funnel, two masts, rigged for sail, iron hull, single screw, speed 11.5 knots. Built by Wm.Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, she was launched on 11th Dec.1874 for the British India Steam Navigation Co. She initially served on local Indian services until 1886 when she transferred to the Australia route.She later went aground on an uncharted reef in the Torres Strait, which now bears the name Khandalla Shoal. Refloated, she continued service until 1903 when she was scrapped in Bombay. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.11, British India S.N.Co]

KHERSONESE 1855
1409 gross tons, length 246.1ft x beam 38.9ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), clipper bows, iron hull, single screw, speed 9 knots. Built 1855 by Robert Hickson & Co, Belfast she was launched for Liverpool, Newfoundland & Halifax S.N. Co. on 4th Oct.1855. (James and Robert Alexander were major shareholders in this company). Apr.1856 used for Crimean War repatriation work. 23rd Aug.1856 sailed Liverpool - Canada - Portland, Maine, lost her propeller while homeward bound and completed the voyage under sail. 1857 acquired by the North Atlantic S.N. Co and made two Liverpool - Canada - Portland, Maine voyages. She then became an Indian Mutiny transport with Robert Alexander as manager. 1859 ownership passed to Weir, Cochrane & Co, Liverpool, managers of the North Atlantic S.N. Co. 1863 sold to Robert Duncan & Co., used on Liverpool - New York service. 1866 engines removed and re-rigged as a barque. 1889 sold to Dutch owners. July 1891 destroyed by fire at Montevideo.

KHYBER 1914
The KHYBER was a 9,114 gross ton ship built in 1914 by Cammell Laird, Birkenhead for the Peninsular & Orient Steam Navigation Co.(P&O Line). She was a twin screw vessel with a speed of 14 knots. She commenced her maiden voyage from London to Bombay, Colombo, Melbourne and Sydney on 5/9/1914 and made 4 or more round passenger voyages on this service. On 15/5/1920 she commenced sailings between London, Colombo, Melbourne and Sydney (missing out Bombay) and made 5 round passenger voyages on this service. She was withdrawn and sold for breaking up in 1931. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

KIGOMA / ALGERIA / TOLEDO 1914
8156 gross tons, length 449.3ft x beam 55.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 120-1st, 110-2nd and 80-3rd class passengers. Launched 30th Jan.1914 by Reihersteig Schiffswerfte & Maschinefabrik, Hamburg as the KIGOMA for the Deutsche Ost-Afrika Lininien, she started her maiden voyage on Apr. 28th from Hamburg via East African ports to Cape Town and home via German West Africa. 1915 taken over by the German Navy and used as a troopship in the Baltic for the Russian campaign. Later fitted as a landing ship for the projected invasion of England. 1918 seized by Britain, managed by Shaw, Savill & Albion and used to repatriate German prisoners and then to return New Zealand soldiers home. 1920 used on the India route by the Ministry of Shipping. 1921 acquired by the Anchor Line, Glasgow, renamed ALGERIA and employed on the New York service for 16 round voyages. 1922 sold to Hamburg America Line (German flag), renamed TOLEDO and refitted to carry 122-1st and 178-2nd class passengers and sailed Hamburg - Havana - Mexico. 1927 transferred back to Deutsche Ost-Afrika Linien and on 27th Jan, started her first Hamburg - East Africa - Capetown voyage. 1932 laid up at Hamburg. 1934 scrapped at Blyth. [Die Schiffe der deutschen Afrika Linien by A. Kludas contains photo of the ship]

KINA 1905 see LANCASHIRE 1889

KINFAUNS CASTLE 1899
9,664 gross tons, length 533ft x beam 59.2ft, two funnels, three masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 250-1st, 175-2nd and 140-3rd class passengers or 1,500 troops. Built by Fairfields SB & Eng. Co., Glasgow, she was delivered to the Castle Line in Aug.1899 and was the first twin screw ship in the fleet. She left Glasgow on 22nd Aug. on a shake down cruise with guests and in Sept. entered the mail service from Southampton to South Africa. 1900 transferred to the combined Union-Castle Mail SS Co. and in Apr.1902 went ashore on the Isle of Wight but refloated. On 4th Aug.1914 she was requisitioned at Southampton and converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser, fitted with 8 x 4.7 inch guns for service in South African waters. During this period she captured the German ships WERNER VINNEN and HEINZ and covered the landings of South African troops in German South West Africa. She then acted as a guardship at Walvis Bay. In 1915 she took part in the hunt and attack on the German cruiser KOENIGSBERG. From 1916 - 1918 she was used as a troopship and returned to her owners in 1919. In 1920 she carried the Duke of Connaught to South Africa as Governor-General and in 1922 rescued the crew of Hamburg America Line's HAMMONIA which sank off Vigo. She then trooped to the Far East before being laid up at Netley. In Oct.1925 she was recommissioned for the mail service to replace regular ships which were strike bound and made her final departure from Cape Town on 17th Nov.before returning to lay up. Scrapped in Holland in 1927. [Merchant Fleets, vol.18 by Duncan Haws]

KING ALEXANDER 1920 see CLEVELAND 1908

KINGSWOOD 1914
Built 1914 by J. Readhead & Co., South Shields as the ONWEN for W & C. T. Jones, Cardiff, she was sold to Woolston SS Co., Cardiff in 1918 and in 1920 was sold to Rumney SS Co., Cardiff and renamed RUMNEY. 1924 purchased by J. Constantine SS Line and renamed KINGSWOOD. 1928 sold to Finland renamed HOGLAND. 1942 Torpedoed and sunk by French submarine RUBIS on voyage Norway to a German Baltic port with iron ore. [The Constantine Group by H. S. Appleyard]

KIOTO 1918
O.N.140571, 4,397 gross tons, length 333.8ft x beam 46.6ft, single screw, speed 10 knots. Built by W. Gray & Co, West Hartlepool (Yard No.880) and completed Apr.1918 for Ellerman Hall Line, Liverpool. She was a wartime simple cargo ship which was purchased to replace war losses. On 15th Sep.1942 she was torpedoed and damaged by gunfire from the German submarine U.514 (Auffermann) east of Tobago in position 11.05N 60.46W while sailing independently from Diego Suarez, Madagascar and Capetown to Baltimore via Trinidad with a cargo of chrome ore. She drifted ashore at Columbus Point, Tobago, a burnt out hulk. The Master, Capt.A. L. Beckett, 65 crew and 3 gunners were rescued by the Trinidad Government ship TRINIDAD and landed at Tobago. 4 crew and 1 gunner were killed. [Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1918 by Sterke / Schell] [British & Commonwealth Merchant Ship Losses to Axis Submarines 1939-1945 by A. J. Tennent]

KLEIST / YOSHINO MARU 1906
The KLEIST was a 8950 gross ton ship, length 463.5ft x beam 57.5ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation for 104-1st, 104-2nd and 1,700-3rd class passengers. Built by F.Scichau, Danzig for North German Lloyd, she was launched on 3rd Dec.1906 and started her maiden voyage on 17th Apr.1907 when she left Bremen for Australia via Suez. After this voyage, she was transferred to the Bremen - Far East service. She made two Bremen - New York sailings starting on 22nd Feb. and 9th Apr.1913 before making another Bremen - Australia voyage. On 3rd Sep.1913 she resumed Far East sailings, starting her last voyage on this route on 13th May 1914. She sheltered at Padang, Sumatra during the Great War and was taken over by Britain in 1919. Managed by British India SN Co until 1922 when she was ceded to Japan and renamed YOSHINO MARU. Owned by Nippon Yusen Kaisha (NYK), she served as a transport and hospital ship during World War II. On 31st Jul,1944, she was damaged by the US submarine STEELHEAD and then sunk by USS PARCHEE at 19.10N 120.58E. in the Luzon Strait.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2] [Norddeutscher Lloyd by Edwin Drechsel, vol.1]

KLOPSTOCK / SAINT GERMAIN 1874
3,659 gross tons, length 377.4ft x beam 40.3ft, two funnels, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 90-1st, 100-2ns and 800-steerage class passengers. Launched on 30th Jun.1874 by J. & G. Thomson, Glasgow for the Adler Line, Hamburg, she started her maiden voyage on 18th Nov.1874 when she left Hamburg for New York. Her third and last voyage for this company started 6th Apr.1875 from Hamburg to Plymouth, Cherbourg and New York. In 1875 she was purchased by the Hamburg America Line and started Hamburg - Havre - New York sailings on 23rd Jun.1875. Her sixth and last voyage on this route started 23rd Feb.1876 and she was then sold to Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line) and renamed SAINT GERMAIN. On 3rd Jun.1876 she commenced Havre - Plymouth - New York sailings, starting her third and last voyage on 9th Sep.1876. She then transferred to the St. Nazaire - Panama route until on 27th Aug.1881 when she resumed Havre - New York voyages. After 28 voyages on this route, the last starting on 10th Apr.1886, she again transferred to St. Nazaire - Panama sailings until 1907 when she was scrapped at Glasgow. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1,p.391 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

KNIGHT BACHELOR / SPANISH PRINCE 1894
The KNIGHT BACHELOR was a cargo steamer built by C. Connell & Co, Glasgow (engines by Dunsmuir & Jackson, Glasgow) in 1894 for the Knight Steamship Co. She was a 6,394 gross ton ship, length 450ft x beam 52.2ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Launched on 6th Jun.1894, she was used for general cargo work until 1898 when she was chartered to National Line and made three London - New York voyages with passengers. In 1907 she was sold to the Prince Line and renamed SPANISH PRINCE and in Nov.1914 was sunk at Dover as a blockship.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.615]

KOERBER / HUNTSPILL / ASIA 1904
5,423 gross tons, 400ft x 49ft, twin screw, speed 14 knots. Built 1904 by Lloyd Austriaco, Trieste, Austria as the KOERBER for their own company. In Aug.1914 she was seized by Britain at Alexandria and renamed HUNTSPILL in 1915. Operated by the British Government as a troopship and in 1917 management was passed to Union Castle Mail SS Co. 1920 managed by Anchor Line, then by British India S.N. Co., all for the British Government. In 1921 she was sold to Lloyd Triestino, Trieste which by then was part of Italy and renamed ASIA. 1933 scrapped at Monfalcone, Italy. [Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1904 by Starke / Schell]

KOLN (KOELN) 1870
2,555 gross tons, length 300ft x beam 39ft, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 60-1st and 700-3rd class passengers. Built 1870 by Caird & Co., Greenock for North German Lloyd's New Orleans service, she started her maiden voyage in Apr.1871 from Bremen to Southampton and New Orleans. 8th Jun.1871 first voyage Bremen - New York. 12th Sep.1877 last voyage Bremen - NY (13 round voyages). 29th Sep.1880 first voyage Bremen - Baltimore, 10th Feb.1883 first voyage Bremen - South America, 23rd Mar.1895 last voyage Bremen - South America. 1895 scrapped in Germany.

KOLN / AMPHION 1899
The KOLN was a 7409 gross ton vessel built in 1899 by J.C.Tecklenborg of Geestemunde for Norddeutscher Lloyd. Her details were - length 428.9ft x beam 54.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 120-2nd and 1,850-3rd class passengers. Launched on 24th Jul.1899, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Galveston on 20th Oct.1899. On 21st Dec.1899 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to Baltimore, and on 4th Jan.1902 her first run from Bremen to New York. Subsequently she ran from Bremen to Baltimore or Galveston, occasionally to or via New York. On 7th Sep.1910 commenced her first run from Bremen to Philadelphia, and on 26th Apr.1912 started her first of two voyages from Hamburg to Quebec and Montreal. On 21st Jan.1914 she started sailing between Bremen, Boston and New Orleans and started her last Bremen - Boston voyage on 29th Jul.1914 arriving Boston on 11th Aug.1914. In April 1917 she was seized by the US authorities at Boston and renamed AMPHION for the US Government. Scrapped in 1923.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.562]

KOMMODORE / MORMUGAO INFANTE DE SAGRES / ZAIRE / ESNE 1904
6,013 gross tons, accommodation for 110 passengers, built 1904 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg as the ESNE for the Kosmos Line, Hamburg, 1910 sold to Deutsche Ost-Afrika Linie, Hamburg renamed KOMMODORE. Aug.1914 laid up at Goa and seized by Portugal on 26th Feb.1916. Renamed MORMUGAO for the Portuguese Government (managed by Transportes Maritimos do Estado, Lisboa). 1924 transferred to Cia. de Assucar de Angola, Lisboa renamed INFANTE DE SAGRES. 1927 transferred to Cia. Nacionale de Navegaceo, Lisboa renamed ZAIRE. 24th Aug.1929 wrecked on Sao Thome Island on voyage Lobito via Sao Thome e Principe to Lisbon with general cargo. Photo in the book Die Schiffe der Deutschen Afrika-Linien by Arnold Kludas ISBN 3-7979-1867-4

KONG SVERRE 1873
The KONG SVERRE was a 2,386 gross ton ship, length 310ft x beam 37ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail) iron hull, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 35-1st, 40-2nd and 650-3rd class passengers. Built by Backhouse & Dixon, Middlesborough (engines by T.Richardson & Sons, Hartlepool), she was launched for Norse American Line on 29th Mar.1873. Her maiden voyage from Bergen to New York started 29th Jun.1873 and her last voyage on this route started 26th Jul.1874. On 16th Oct.1875 she was wrecked near the entrance to Dunkirk harbour. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.778. ISBN 0-905824-01-6]

KONIG ALBERT / FERDINANDO PALASCIANO / ITALIA 1899
The KONIG ALBERT was built by A.G.Vulcan, Stettin in 1899 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was a 10,643 gross ton ship, length 499.3ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 227-1st, 119-2nd and 1,799-3rd class passengers. Launched on 24/6/1899, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Hamburg, via the Suez Canal to the Far East. She completed 8 round voyages on this service and was then transferred on 14/3/1903 to the Bremen - Cherbourg - New York route for a single voyage. On 16/4/1903 she went to the Genoa - Naples - New York run and stayed mainly on this service until commencing her last voyage on 11/6/1914. At the outbreak of the Great War, she took refuge in Italy but in May 1915 was seized by Italy, renamed FERDINANDO PALASCIANO and was used as a hospital ship. In 1920 she was chartered to Navigazione Generale Italiana and on 15/6/1920 commenced her first voyage Genoa - Naples - New York. She completed 6 round voyages on this route, the last one commencing 13/4/1921 and then, in 1922 became the ITALIA, and was used as a floating exhibition ship. She was scrapped in Italy in 1926.

KONIG FRIEDRICH AUGUST / MONTREAL / ALESIA 1906
8,766 gross tons, length 475.8ft x beam 55.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 229-1st and 240-3rd class passengers. Built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg as the KONIG FRIEDRICH AUGUST for Hamburg America Lines River Plate service, she was ceded to Britain in 1919 as war reparations. In Nov.1920 she was purchased by Canadian Pacific and refitted to 9,720 gross tons with accommodation for 332-cabin class and 990-3rd class passengers. Renamed MONTREAL, on 1st Jun.1921 she started her first voyage between Antwerp - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal. Between Aug. 1921 and May 1922 she also made four voyages between Trieste - Naples - Quebec and Montreal. Again refitted in 1923 to accommodate 229-cabin and 240-3rd class passengers, she started her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage in Jul.1924. In Oct.1925 she was laid up in Gareloch, Scotland, but in 1927 made a few Liverpool / Antwerp - St.John NB voyages before again being laid up at Southend. In 1928 she was sold to the Fabre Line, Marseilles, renamed ALESIA and used on the Marseilles - New York service. 1931 laid up at Marseilles. 1933 scrapped at Genoa. [North Atlantic Seaway vol.3, p.1315 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

KONIGIN LOUISE / OMAR / EDISON 1896
The KONIGIN LOUISE was a 10,566 gross ton ship, length 525ft x beam 60ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 227-1st, 235-2nd and 1,564-3rd class passengers. Built by AG Vulcan, Stettin for North German Lloyd, she was launched on 7th Oct.1896. Her maiden voyage started on 22nd Mar.1897 when she left Bremen for New York. However, she had to call in at Falmouth on 29th March and left there for New York on 22nd April. On 17th Nov.1897 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen via the Suez Canal to Australia and on 25th Feb.1904 started her first Genoa - Naples - New York sailing. She started her last sailing on this service on 25th May 1911 and started her tenth and last Bremen - Australia voyage on 25th Oct.1911. On 16th Mar.1912 she resumed Bremen - New York sailings, and on 18th Apr.1914 started her first Bremen - Philadelphia - Baltimore voyage. Her third and last sailing on this route commenced 25th Jun.1914 and in Aug.1914, on the outbreak of the Great War, she was laid up at Bremen. Surrendered to Britain in April 1919, she was placed under the management of the Orient Line and renamed OMAR. Sold to the Byron Line in 1924 and renamed EDISON, she started Piraeus - Patras - Naples - New York sailings on 16th Oct.1924. In Aug.1928 she came under the ownership of the National Greek Line and started her last New York - Boston - Piraeus crossing on 29th Dec.1932. In 1935 she was scrapped at Genoa.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.559]

KONIGIN LUISE 1934
The KONIGIN LUISE was built by Howaldtswerke, Hamburg in 1934 as a coastal passenger ship for the Elbe service of the Hamburg America Line from Hamburg to Cuxhaven and Heligoland. She was a 2,400 gross ton ship, length 288ft x beam 42ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. She could carry 2,000 deck passengers. In 1940 she was converted to a minelayer and was mined and sunk on 25th September 1941 near Helsinki. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

KONIGSTEIN 1929 see ARAWA 1907

KONINGIN DER NEDERLANDEN 1911 8,280 gross tons, length 455ft x beam 55ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14.5 knots. Accommodation for 128-1st, 88-2nd and 38-3rd class passengers. Built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Maatschappij, Amsterdam, she was completed for the Netherlands Steamship Co in July 1911. Used on the Far East trade, she was taken over at San Francisco in Mar.1918 by the US Shipping Board and was probably used for trooping after this time. Returned to her owners at Amsterdam in Nov.1919 and was eventually scrapped in Holland in 1932. [The Centenary of the Stoomvart Maatschappij Nederland 1870-1970 by G.J.de Boer]

KOREA 1899
This was a 6,163 gross ton ship, built by Flensburger Schiffbau, Flensburg in 1899 for the East Asiatic Co of Copenhagen. Her details were - length 409ft x beam 49.6ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was capacity for 50-1st and 1,350-3rd class passengers. Launched on 13th October 1899, she was used by the East Asiatic Co until 1906 when she was transferred to the Russian registered Russian American Line. She commenced her first sailing for this company on 14th September 1906 when she sailed from Libau for New York. Her second sailing on this route started 21st January 1907 and her last on 26th January 1909. On 15th February 1910 she sailed from Narvik for Philadelphia with a cargo of ore, but was abandoned in the North Atlantic on 1st March, her crew being rescued by the Anchor liner CALEDONIA. She obviously stayed afloat for some time after being abandoned, as the Allan liner IONIAN reported that she collided with a derelict on 3rd March - undoubtedly the KOREA [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1351, 1354]

KOSCIUSZKO / CZARITZA / LITUANIA / GDYNIA / EMPIRE HELFORD 1915
Built by Barclay, Curle & Co.Ltd, Glasgow in 1915 as the CZARITZA for the Russian American Line. She was a 6,598 gross ton ship, length 440ft x beam 53.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 30-1st, 242-2nd and 1,052-3rd class passengers. Launched on 14/2/1915, she ran on the New York service for the Russian American Line and in 1917 came under Cunard management, keeping the same name. In 1921 she went to the Baltic American Line and was renamed LITUANIA, commencing her first voyage on 8/2/1921 when she sailed from Libau to Danzig, Copenhagen, Boston and New York. In Dec.1924 she was rebuilt to carry 290-cabin and 500-3rd class passengers, and in Feb.1926 was rebuilt again to accommodate 110-cabin, 180-tourist and 500-3rd class passengers. On 19/2/1930 she commenced her last voyage from Danzig to Copenhagen, Halifax and New York and was then sold to the Gdynia America Line of Poland who renamed her KOSCIUSZKO and ran her between Poland and New York and S.America. In 1940 she went to the Polish Navy and was renamed GDYNIA and in 1946 was taken over by the British and named EMPIRE HELFORD. She was scrapped at Blyth in 1950. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1512]

KRONPRINZ 1900
5,645 gross tons, length 125.3m x beam 14.6m, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 12½ knots, accommodation for 72-1st, 56-2nd and 60-3rd class passengers.
Built 1900 by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg for Deutsche Ost-Afrika Line, she started Hamburg - Round Africa voyages on 30th June 1900. Aug.1914 on the outbreak of war, she was laid up at Lourenco Marques and on 23rd Feb.1916 was seized by Portuguese authorities and renamed QUELIMANE. Managed by Transportes Maritimos do Estado, Lisbon until 1927 when she was scrapped.

KRONPRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM 1870
This is the Norddeutscher Lloyd (North German Lloyd) steamship KRONPRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM, built by Caird & Co., Greenock, Scotland. 2,387 tons; 95,18 x 11,91 meters (312.3 x 39.1 feet, length x beam), clipper bow, 1 funnel, 2 masts; iron construction, screw propulsion, service speed 10 knots; accommodation for 105 1st-, 50 2nd-, and 400 3rd-class passengers. 13 September 1870, launched for the North German Lloyd West Indies service. 7 April 1871, maiden voyage, Bremen-Southampton-Panama. 14 May 1873, first voyage, Bremen-Southampton-New York. 1875, engines compounded. 1876, mainly to South America. 10 August 1884, last voyage, Bremen-New York (9 roundtrip voyages). 1887, quadruple-expansion engines by Denny, Dumbarton, Scotland. 23 March 1893, first voyage, Genoa-Naples-New York. 8 May 1895, last voyage, Naples-New York (16 roundtrip voyages). 7 July 1895, resumed service, Bremen-South America. 10 April 1897, last voyage, Bremen-South America. 1897, scrapped in Italy [Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), p. 548]. For further information on this vessel, including a photograph, see the following: 1. Arnold Kludas, Die Seeschiffe des Norddeutschen Lloyd, Bd. 1: 1857 bis 1919 (Herford: Koehler, c1991). 2. Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mail_ (2 vols.; Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994-c1995). [Posted to the Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael Palmer]

The KRONPRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM was built by Caird & Co, Greenock (ship #156), for Norddeutscher Lloyd's service to the West Indies and Colon, and was launched on 13 September 1870. 2,387 tons; 97,05 x 11,89 meters (length x breadth); clipper bow (the last vessel built for Norddeutscher Lloyd with such a bow), 1 funnel, 2 masts; iron construction, screw propulsion (single expasion, intermediate pressure, 1200 hp); service speed 10 knots; accommodation for 105 passengers in 1st class, 50 in 2nd class, and 405 in steerage; crew of 61 to 89. 7 April 1871, maiden voyage, Bremen-Southampton-Colon (Panama). 14 May 1873, first voyage, Bremen-Southampton-New York. 1875, given compound engine and new boilers; service speed 12 knots. 1876, first voyage, Bremen-South America. 10 August 1884, last voyage, Bremen-New York (9 roundtrip voyages). 1887, quadruple-expansion engines by W. Denny & Brothers of Dumbarton (5,000 hp). 23 March 1893, first voyage, Genoa-Naples-New York. 8 May 1895, last voyage, Naples-New York (16 roundtrip voyages). 7 July 1895, resumed Bremen-South America service. 10 April 1897, last voyage, Bremen-South America. 1897, sold to Gebruder Mosbacher, scrappers, of Frankfurt/Main; resold to La Spezia, and scrapped in Italy [Edwin Drechsel, Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, 1857-1970; History, Fleet, Ship Mails, vol. 1 (Vancouver: Cordillera Pub. Co., c1994), p. 55.;Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 2 (1978), p. 548; Bonsor, South Atlantic Seaway; an illustrated history of the passenger lines and liners from Europe to Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina (Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications, c1983), p. 240]. - [E-mail from Michael Palmer - 1 February 1998]

KRONPRINZ WILHELM / VON STEUBEN 1901
The KRONPRINZ WILHELM was a 14,908 gross ton ship, length 637.3ft x beam 66.3ft, four funnels (set in pairs), two masts, twin screw and a speed of 22 knots. There was accommodation for 367-1st, 340-2nd and 1,054-3rd class passengers. Built by AG Vulcan, Stettin for North German Lloyd of Bremen, she was launched on 30th Mar.1901. She started her maiden voyage on 17th Sep.1901 when she left Bremen for Southampton, Cherbourg and New York. In Sept.1902 she made a record voyage from Cherbourg to Sandy Hook, NY of 5 days 11 hrs 57 mins at an average speed of 23.09 knots. Her last Bremen - Southampton - New York voyage started 21st Jul.1914 and on the outbreak of the Great War, she escaped from New York and acted as a commerce raider until she was interned at Newport News on 10th Apr.1915. In Oct.1916 she was escorted to Philadelphia and in April 1917 on the entry of the USA into the war, she was seized by the US authorities, renamed VON STEUBEN, and used by the government as a transport. In 1919 she was handed to the US Shipping Board and laid up until 1923 when she was scrapped.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.564-5]

KRONPRINZESSIN CECILIE / MOUNT VERNON 1906
The KRONPRINZESSIN CECILIE was built by A.G.Vulkan, Stettin in 1906 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. Her details were - 19,400 gross tons, length 685.4ft x beam 72.2ft, four funnels (set in pairs), three masts, twin screw and a speed of 23 knots. She had accommodation for 617-1st, 326-2nd and 798-3rd class passengers. Launched on 1/12/1906, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton, Cherbourg and New York on 6/8/1907. On 14/7/1914 she sailed from Bremen on her last voyage to New York and on 28/7/1914 sailed from New York but returned to Boston due to the imminent outbreak of war. In April 1917 she was seized by US authorities and became the US transport MOUNT VERNON. On 5/9/1918 she was torpedoed in the North Atlantic by a German submarine, with 36 deaths, but managed to reach port. In 1919 she was laid up and in 1920 went to the US Shipping Board. She was finally scrapped in 1940 at Baltimore.

KROONLAND 1902
The KROONLAND was built in 1902 by W.Cramp & Sons at Philadelphia for the Red Star line and sailed originally under the American flag. She was a 12760 gross ton vessel, length 560ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 342-1st, 194-2nd and 626-3rd class passengers. Launched on 20/2/1902, she sailed on her maiden voyage from New York to Antwerp on 28/6/1902. In November 1908 she was put under the Belgian flag and sailed between Antwerp and NY until 13/1/1912 when she reverted to the US flag and stayed on the same service. On 1/8/1914 she left Antwerp on her last voyage to Dover and NY and on 15/8/1914 transferred to the NY -Liverpool run for two voyages before being transferred again on 15/10/1914 to the NY - Gibralter - Naples - Piraeus service for one round voyage. On 21/5/1915 she went to the Panama Pacific Line for the NY - Panama Canal -San Francisco service and then to the American Line for the London - NY service for one voyage commencing 30/1/1916. Transferred on 20/2/1916 to the NY - Liverpool run until her last voyage on this service, sailing 31/1/1917 she was used as a US troopship until 1919 when she was converted to carry 242-1st, 310-2nd and 876-3rd class passengers and reverted on 14/4/1920 to the Antwerp - Southampton - NY service and on 21/6/1923 went back to the American Line and was put on the NY - Plymouth - Cherbourg - Hamburg run, being converted to carry cabin class and 3rd class passengers only. After three voyages on this service, she went back to the Panama Pacific Line for the NY - San Francisco run. She was scrapped at Genoa in 1928. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2. by N.R.P.Bonsor]

KUMERIC 1906
6,232 gross tons, length 460ft x beam 55.1ft, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built 1906 by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow for Bank Line (A. Weir & Co), Glasgow. 1st Dec.1926 struck while at anchor by s/s NORMANSTAR and beached in Punta Indio Channel, River Plate on voyage India to River Plate, refloated, docked at Buenos Aires and 22nd Dec.1926 sold for repairs. 1927 owned by T. G. Cerruti y Cia, Buenos Aires. 1929 sold to Guido Squassi, Genoa (T. G. Cerruti y Cia) renamed QUINTALMARE. 1932 Scrapped Italy while laid up at Genoa. [Schell Register]

KUNGSHOLM / JOHN ERICSSON / ITALIA / IMPERIAL BAHAMA HOTEL 1928
The ITALIA of 1950 was built as the KUNGSHOLM (2) for the Swedish American Line in 1928. Built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg (engines by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen), she was a 21,532 gross ton motorship, length overall 609.2ft x beam 78.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots.
There was passenger accommodation for 115-1st, 490-2nd and 970-3rd class. Launched on 17th March 1928, she sailed from Gothenburg on her maiden voyage to New York on 24th Nov. 1928. In April 1932 she was refitted to carry 1st, tourist and 3rd class passengers and on 5th Oct. 1939 commenced her last Gothenburg - New York voyage. Subsequently she was used until December 1941 on New York - West Indies cruises.
She was bought by the US government on 13th Dec. 1941, renamed JOHN ERICSSON and served as a US troopship. On 7th May 1946 she was chartered by United States Line and commenced New York - Southampton sailings. In February 1947 she commenced her eighth and last crossing from Southampton to Havre, Cobh and New York and on 7th March 1947 was damaged by fire in New York and repurchased by Swedish American Line.
Sailed from New York for Genoa on 21st Nov. 1947 and was refitted and acquired by Home Lines of Panama and renamed ITALIA. After refit, she was 16,777 gross tons and with accommodation for 226-1st, 296-cabin and 800-tourist class passengers. On 8th April 1948 she commenced her first voyage from Genoa to South America, and on 12th June 1979 started her first Genoa - Naples - Lisbon - New York voyage. In 1952 she was altered to carry 213-1st and 1,106-tourist class and on 14th March 1952 started her first New York - Hamburg crossing. On 29th March 1952 she started sailings between Hamburg, Southampton, Halifax and New York and in 1958 was altered to carry 140-1st and 1,150- tourist class. She started her first Cuxhaven - Zeebrugge - Havre - Southampton - Quebec voyage on 23rd April 1959 and her first Cuxhaven - Havre - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal voyage on 23rd May 1959. Her last Montreal - Quebec - Southampton - Havre - Cuxhaven - Havre - Southampton - Halifax - New York round voyage commenced 28th Nov. 1960 and she then did a single crossing from New York to Halifax, Lisbon, Naples and Piraeus. On 4th Sept. 1962 she resumed sailing between New York, Halifax, Lisbon, Naples, Piraeus, Messina, Naples and New York and subsequently sailed between New York and the Bahamas. In 1964 she became the IMPERIAL BAHAMA HOTEL at Freeport, Grand Bahama Island and on 8th Sept. 1965 arrived at Bilbao where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1461]

KURSK 1881
The KURSK was a cargo steamer, 1,131 gross tons, length 246ft x beam 30.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 8.5 knots, accommodation for 16-1st and 4-2nd class passengers. Built 1881 by A/S Burmeister & Wains Maskin-og Skibsbyggeri, Copenhagen (yard No.116) for DFDS Line, she was used on the Copenhagen - Frederikshavn - Newcastle service until 1899 and was then used on services mainly Baltic - Copnhagen - UK / Antwerp / France / Spain / Italy. 1899 - 1907 London / Hull - Copenhagen - Libau route. 1907-1912 Baltic - Copenhagen - France service. (1908 one voyage Stettin - Copenhagen - west coast of Norway). On 26th Aug.1912 she left Antwerp for St. Petersburg with general cargo. Later the same day, she passed Vlissingen and was presumably lost in a gale the same, or the following day. Later, three bodies and some of her cargo were found at Brouwershaven. Seven passengers and twenty crew members were lost. [DFDS by S. Thorsoe, ISBN 87-9800-300-3 contains excellent photo of the ship]

KURSK / POLONIA 1910
The KURSK was built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Glasgow in 1910 for the Russian American Line. She was a 7,858 gross ton vessel, length 450ft x beam 56.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 120-1st, 178-2nd and 1,288-3rd and 4th class passengers. Launched on 7th July 1910, she sailed from Libau on her maiden voyage to New York on 2nd Nov. 1910. She commenced her last voyage from Libau to Copenhagen, Halifax and New York on 7th July 1914 and was transferred to the Glasgow - New York service on 5th Nov. 1914. On 20th Nov. 1914 she sailed on her first voyage from New York for Archangel and in 1917 came under Cunard management under the British flag. In 1921 she went to the Baltic American Line and was renamed POLONIA and on 23rd Jan. 1921 sailed on her first voyage between Glasgow, New York, Danzig and Libau. On 8th March 1921 she started her first voyage from Libau to Danzig, Boston and New York and in September of that year was refitted to carry 300-cabin and 500-3rd class passengers. In Oct.1927 she was further altered to carry 120-cabin, 180-tourist and 500-3rd class passengers. On 31st Oct. 1929 she commenced her last voyage from Danzig to Copenhagen, Halifax and New York and in 1930 went to the Polish Gdynia America Line. They used her from 11th April 1930 on their Danzig - Copenhagen - Halifax - New York service and from 28th May 1930 on the Gdynia - Copenhagen - Halifax - New York run. She commenced her last voyage on this run on 2nd May 1933 and was transferred to the Constanza - Haifa service until 1939 when she was scrapped in Italy.

KYBFELS 1937
7,764 gross tons, length 485.6ft x beam 61.3ft, twin screw, built 1937 by Deutsche Schiff-und Maschinenbau Akt. Werk; A.G Weser, Bremen (Yard No.918) for the Hansa Line. On 21st May 1941 she sank after striking a mine off Ithaka in the Adriatic Sea. [85 Years of Shipping Under the Maltese Cross by Leonard Gray, published by World Ship Society]

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: Nove,ber 01, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli