FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - M

M Descriptions MI to MU | MAA to ME

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

MILTIADES / ORCANA 1903
The MILTIADES was a 6,793 gross ton ship, length 455ft x beam 55.1ft, Clipper bows, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation, considered luxurious for 89-1st and 158-3rd class passengers. Completed in Oct.1903 by Alex Stephen & Sons, Glasgow for the Aberdeen Line, she started her maiden voyage from London for Cape Town - Melbourne and Sydney on 3rd Nov.1903. In 1912 she was rebuilt to 7,817 tons and lengthened to 504ft and a second funnel added. Accommodation was increased to 150-1st and 170-3rd class. Taken up for trooping duties in 1915, she resumed commercial service on 4th Jun.1920 but started her last Australia voyage on 20th Nov.1920. Purchased by the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co.and renamed ORCANA, she was transferred to Pacific Steam Navigation Co in 1922 for their 'round South America' service. However, she proved too expensive to operate and the second voyage was cancelled. In 1923 she was laid up at Liverpool and later at Dartmouth and in 1924 she was towed to Holland and scrapped.[Merchant Fleets, vol.17 by Duncan Haws.]

MILWAUKEE 1896
Built by C.S. Swan & Hunter Ltd, Newcastle for Alfred Jones with Elder Dempster & Co., managers. On 16th Jan.1897 commenced maiden voyage from the Tyne to New Orleans, had engine breakdown and towed into Port Eades by s/s BENGORE HEAD. 16th Sep.1898 stranded near Peterhead, Scotland. Broken in two with explosives and 180ft of fore end left on rocks, rest of ship towed to the Tyne. 1899 new fore part built and attached, 24th June sailed for Montreal. 21st Feb.1900 commenced Boer War trooping, transported General Cronje and 500 Boers to St. Helena. 1903 Transferred to Canadian Pacific with the sale of Elder Dempster's Beaver Line service. 31st Mar.1918 damaged by submarine in Irish Channel but made port. 31st Aug.1918 torpedoed and sunk 260 miles SW of Fastnet when U.105 made a submerged attack on a group of unescorted outward bound steamers. At the time, MILWAUKEE was the largest ship launched in England since the GREAT EASTERN and there is a model of her in Bristol Maritime Museum who may be able to supply a photo. There are three large photos of this ship in "The Elder Dempster Fleet History" by J. E. Cowden and J. O. C. Duffy ISBN 0-950945-31-5 which should be available on inter library loan.

MINAS / MICHELE LAZZARONE / REMO / PARA 1891
The MINAS was a 2964 gross tons ship, length 331.4ft x beam 40.1ft (101m x 12.22m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Accommodation for 60-1st and 900-3rd class passengers. Built by G.Ansaldo & Co, Sestri Ponente, Italy in 1891 as the MICHELE LAZZARONE for Italian owners, she became the REMO in 1893, and in 1894 was named the PARA for Ligure Romana. When this company ceased trading, she was taken over in 1897 by Ligure Brasiliana Societa di Navigazione and renamed MINAS.She started her first Genoa - Rio de Janeiro - Santos sailing on 24th Dec.1897 and continued South America voyages until starting her last Genoa - Rio de la Plata sailing in May 1911. Transferred to other routes until 15th Feb.1916 when she was torpedoed and sunk en route Taranto - Salonika with the loss of 331 lives.[South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

MINNEDOSA / PIEMONTE 1918
The MINNEDOSA was ordered by the Hamburg America Line in 1913, but was taken over by Canadian Pacific before completion. She was built by Barclay, Curle & Co Lts, Glasgow (engines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast)and was a 13,972 gross ton vessel, length 520ft x beam 67.2ft, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 550-cabin and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Although her keel was laid in 1913, she was not launched until 17/10/1917 and on 2/5/1918 was towed to Belfast to have her engines fitted. On 5/12/1918 she commenced her maiden voyage from Liverpool to St John, NB and on 13/12/1919 started a single round voyage from the UK to Bombay for the British government. On 21/6/1922 she commenced her first voyage from Antwerp to Southampton, Quebec and Montreal and in 1925 was refitted by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co Ltd, Hebburn-on-Tyne and her tonnage increased to 15,186 tons. In June 1926 she had accommodation for 206-cabin, 545-tourist and 590-3rd class passengers. She commenced her last Antwerp - Southampton - St John NB - Liverpool voyage on 30/3/1927 and was transferred to the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal route on 29/4/1927. On 27/6/1931 she started her last transatlantic crossing from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal (129 Atlantic round voyages) and was then laid up in the River Clyde. In April 1935 she was sold for scrapping and was towed to Savona, Italy, but was bought by Italia Line, renamed PIEMONTE and used as a troopship. On 15/8/1943 she was scuttled at Messina, salvaged in 1949 and towed to Spezia and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1314]

MINNEHAHA 1900
The MINNEHAHA was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1900 for the Atlantic Transport Line. She was a 13,443 gross ton ship, length 600.7ft x beam 65.5ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 250-1st class passengers. Launched on 31/3/1900, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Belfast to New York and London on 7/7/1900. On 12/8/1900 she commenced her first voyage from London to New York and on 18/4/1910 stranded on the Scilly Isles, was refloated and repaired at Southampton. On 27/10/1910 she resumed the London - New York service and was torpedoed and sunk on 7/9/1917 by the German submarine U.48, 12 miles from Fastnet with the loss of 43 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1091]

MINNEKAHDA 1917
The MINNEKAHDA was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast as a cargo steamer for the Atlantic Transport Line. She was a 17,221 gross ton ship, length 620.5ft x beam 66.4ft, one funnel, one mast, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. The order was placed with the shipbuilders in April 1913, but due to the war, she was not launched until 8/3/1917, and then served as a British troopship. She commenced her last trooping voyage from London to Halifax and New York on 16/1/1920 and commenced London - New York voyages as an Atlantic Transport Line cargo ship on 27/3/1920. On 17/7/1920 she started a single round voyage on charter to the American Line between New York - London - Hamburg - New York and on 8/10/1920 commenced her last London - New York voyage as a cargo ship. Later the same year she was rebuilt to 17,281 gross tons and with accommodation for 2,150-3rd class passengers. She was chartered to the American Line and started a single round voyage between New York - Naples - Hamburg - New York on 31/3/1921. On 21/5/1921 she commenced New York - Hamburg - New York sailings and in 1923 was transferred to the US flag. She started her last Hamburg - New York crossing on 10/1/1925 and on 24/3/1925 commenced London - New York sailings for the Atlantic Transport Line. Her final voyage started on 5/9/1931 when she sailed from London for Boulogne and New York and she was then laid up at New York. On 14/4/1936 she sailed under the British flag from New York for Scotland, and was scrapped at Dalmuir. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1095-6]

MINNESOTA / VINUELAS / SAN IGNACIO DE LOYOLA 1867
The MINNESOTA was a 3,008 gross ton ship, length 335.4ft x beam 42.5ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 72-1st and 800-3rd class. Built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne, she was launched for the Guion Line in Feb.1867. On 14th Apr.1867 she started her maiden voyage from Liverpool for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York and commenced her last sailing on this service on 18th Nov.1874. Chartered to the American Line for a single round voyage between Liverpool and Philadelphia commencing 10th Feb.1875, she was then sold to the Warren Line and fitted with new compound engines by J.Jack Rollo & Co, Liverpool. On 19th Aug,1876 she started Liverpool - Boston sailings and in 1882 was sold to Spanish owners and renamed VINUELAS. Sold to Cia Trasatlantica, Spain in 1886, she was renamed SAN IGNACIO DE LOYOLA and was eventually scrapped in 1908. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.708]

MINNESOTA 1887
3,143 g.t., passenger ship, 345.5ft x 40.9ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built 1887 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Atlantic Transport Line. 1917 renamed MAHOPAC. 1923 sold and scrapped in Germany. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3 by Bonsor]

MINNESOTA 1904
20,602 gross tons, length 622ft x beam 73.5ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 218-1st, 26-2nd and 2,400-3rd class passengers.
Built by Eastern Shipbuilding Co., New London, Conn. for Great Northern Steamship Co., she was launched on 16th Apr.1903 and on 21st Aug.1904 arrived at New York from the builders and then proceeded to the Pacific coast. Used on trans-Pacific services and on 14th Nov.1915 sailed from Seattle for London with cargo. When 1,000 miles south from San Francisco, she suffered a machinery breakdown and was towed to SF and fitted with new boilers. In Jan.1917 she was purchased by Atlantic Transport Co. of West Virginia and on 14th Feb.1917 sailed from San Francisco for New York via Panama Canal and arrived on 7th Mar. 25th Apr.1917 started first voyage New York - Liverpool. 1919 temporarily requisitioned by the U.S. Navy as a troop transport and renamed TROY to avoid confusion with the US battleship MINNESOTA and between May and Aug.1919 she made three voyages between New York and Brest and repatriated 14,000 troops. In Mar.1920 she started the first of two or three cargo only voyages between New York and London and in 1921 became a floating isolation hospital at New York. Sold in Jan.1923, she left New York on 2nd Dec.1923 in tow for Wilhelmshaven, Germany where she arrived about 3rd Jan.1924 and was scrapped by Schiffswerft Unterweser A.G. {North Atlantic Seaway, Vol.3 by N.R.P.Bonsor) (Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1904 by Wm. A. Schell) (Transpacific Steam by E. Mowbray Tate)
see also http://www.geocities.com/jckinghorn/ATL/atlhome.htm for a more detailed history and photos of the ship.

MINNESOTA 1927 see ZEELAND 1901

MINNETONKA 1901
The MINNETONKA was built in 1901 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Atlantic Transport Line. She was a 13,440 gross ton ship, length 600.7ft x beam 65.5ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 250-1st class only. Launched on 12th Dec.1901, she started her maiden voyage from Belfast to New York and London on 17th May 1902. On 12th July 1902 she started her first London - New York sailing and commenced her last voyage on this service on 31st Dec.1914. In 1915 she became a British war transport ship and was torpedoed and sunk by the Germen submarine U.64, 40 miles from Malta with the loss of four lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1092]

MINNEWASKA 1908
The MINNEWASKA was a 14,317 gross ton ship, length 615ft x beam 65.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 326-1st class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched on 12th Nov.1908 for the Atlantic Transport Line and started her maiden voyage London - New York on 1st May 1909. Her last voyage on this route started 14th Jan.1915 and she was then requisitioned as a British Army Troop Transport. On 29th Nov.1916 she hit a floating mine in Suda Bay, Crete with 1,800 troops on board. Badly damaged, she was beached and written off as a total loss. In 1918 she was sold to Italian shipbreakers for scrapping. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1093 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.1, by Arnold Kludas, ISBN 0-85059-174-0 contains photo]

MIRZAPORE 1871
This was a 3,763 gross ton ship, length 115,90m x beam 12,95m (380.3ft x 42.5ft), one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 168-1st and 58-2nd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched for P&O Line on 20th May 1871. Her maiden voyage to Alexandria and back started on 2nd Sep.1871 and she subsequently spent most of her time on the London - Suez - Bombay - Ceylon - Calcutta - Singapore service. However, on 30th Nov.1881 she left London on a single round voyage to Bombay, Melbourne and Sydney. On 25th May 1882 she started the first of four round voyages between London, Columbo, Melbourne ans Sydney. Sold to Hajee Cassum Jossub for the pilgrimage trade between Bombay and Jeddah in 1898, she was scrapped the following year.[North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber][Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

MISSANABIE 1914
12,469 gross tons, length 500.4ft x beam 64.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 520-cabin class and 1,200-3rd class. Built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow for Canadian Pacific, she was launched on 22nd Jun.1914. She started her maiden voyage on 7th Oct.1914 between Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal and continued UK - Canada sailings throughout the war. On 9th Sep.1918 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB.87 while 50 miles from Cobh, Ireland with the loss of 45 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1311]

MISSISSIPPI / SICILIA 1871
The MISSISSIPPI was a 2,159 gross ton ship, length 320.5ft x beam 35ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Accommodation for 80-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Built by A.McMillan & Son, Dumbarton (engines by J.Jack, Rollo & Co, Liverpool) she was launched for the Dominion Line on 29th Nov.1871. She left Liverpool on 4th May 1872 on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal and on 20th Apr.1874 she stranded near Cape Florida, but was refloated and resumed Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal sailings on 21st Apr.1875. On 18th Oct.1886 she started her first voyage between Avonmouth, Quebec and Montreal and commenced her last sailing on this service on 7th Jul.1887. In 1888 she was sold to the British owned Sicilia SS Co and renamed SICILIA. Chartered back to Dominion Line, she made four Avonmouth - Quebec - Montreal sailings between 11th Jun.1893 and 7th Oct.1893. On 3rd Oct.1895 she was wrecked near Trevose Head, Cornwall.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.802/3]

MISSISSIPPI / BUFORD 1890
She was 3,732 gross tons, length 370.8ft x beam 44.2ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 11 knots, and was primarily a cargo ship with limited passenger accommodation. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Atlantic Transport Line, she was launched on 29th Aug.1890. Her first voyage London - New York started on 9th Jan.1891 and on 27th May 1897 she collided with and damaged the Thingvalla Line ship HEKLA off the Newfoundland Banks. In 1898 she was sold to National Line, but continued on the London - New York service until starting her last voyage on 14th Jun.1898. She then became the U.S. Army Transport ship BUFORD until 1929 when she was scrapped in Japan.

MISSISSIPPI / SAMLAND / BELGIC 1902
The SAMLAND was a 7,913 gross ton ship, length 490.4ft x beam 58.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a spoeed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 1,900-3rd class passengers. Built by the New York Shipbuilding Corp, Camden, NJ. she was launched on 15th Dec.1902 as the MISSISSIPPI for the Atlantic Transport Line. Her maiden voyage started on 16th Apr.1903 when she left Baltimore for London and her third and last voyage on this route started on 30th Sep.1903. On 7th Jul.1906 she commenced her first voyage for Red Star Line from Antwerp to New York and was then renamed SAMLAND. She continued New York - Antwerp sailings under the US flag until 1910 when she transferred to the Belgian flag and started her first Antwerp - New York sailing under this flag on 1st Jan.1910. On 7th Jan.1911 she started her last Antwerp - Dover - New York voyage and on 7th Apr.1911 commenced the first of two Hamburg - Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal sailings. Transferred to the White Star Line and British registry on 30th Aug.1911, she was renamed BELGIC and used on the UK - Australia service. In 1913 she reverted to the Red Star Line, Belgian registry and was again renamed SAMLAND. She resumed Antwerp - New York sailings on 27th Dec.1913 and on 2nd Oct.1914 started London - New York sailings with cargo only, under charter to the Atlantic Transport Line. Her last voyage on this service started on 13th Feb.1916 and on 12th Mar.1916 she started the first of three or more sailings for the Belgian Relief Commission between New York - Falmouth - Rotterdam. She resumed the Antwerp - New York service on 28th Feb.1919 and commenced her final voyage on 6th Feb.1931 when she sailed from Antwerp for New York, Halifax, London and Antwerp. She was scrapped the same year.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.857-8]

MISSOURI 1873 see HAMMONIA 1854

MISSOURI 1881
The MISSOURI was built by C.Connell & Co, Glasgow (Engines by J&J.Thomson, Glasgow) in 1881 for the Warren Line of Liverpool. She was a 5,146 gross ton ship, length 425.6ft x beam 43.6ft, one funnel, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. I have no information on her passenger capacity. Launched on 15/2/1881, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Boston on 30/5/1881. On 1/3/1886 she was wrecked in Caernarvon Bay, Wales with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.685]

M.I.T. VICTORY / ALEXANDER R. NININGER 1945
7,612 gross tons, length 455ft x beam 62ft, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 15 knots. Built by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard, Baltimore as a standard type 'Victory' ship, she was completed in Jun.1945 for the US War Shipping Agency. In 1947 she was transferred to the US Army and renamed LT. ALEXANDER R. NININGER. 1950 returned to US Maritime Commission and laid up in the James River, Va.[The Victory Ships by Mitchell & Sawyer] I have no further info on this ship, but like most of these 'mothballed' ships, she was probably later taken from lay up and immediately scrapped.

MOANA 1897
Built by Wm.Denny, Dumbarton in 1897 for the Union SS Co of New Zealand, she was a 3,915 gross ton ship, twin screws and a speed of 15 knots. She had accommodation for 198-1st and 100-2nd class passengers. She sailed between Sydney, Auckland, Honolulu and San Francisco until 1900 when the Hawaiian Islands were annexed by the USA, thus bringing the San Francisco to Honolulu trade into the 'domestic' category which prohibited the carriage of passengers and cargo between American ports in other than US registered ships. The MOANA arrived in Sydney from San Francisco for the last time on 28th October 1900. In 1901 she commenced sailings between Sydney, Brisbane, Honolulu and Vancouver for Huddart, Parker's Canadian-Australasian Line. In Dec.1903 she stranded on rocks near Victoria BC, refloated and given temporary repairs at Victoria, she was then given a complete overhaul. She continued regular voyages to Vancouver until 1908 when she was transferred to the Inter-Colonial service, although she did an occasional relief voyage to Vancouver as required. Her last sailing from Vancouver took place on 24th March 1911 and in 1912 she entered the Sydney - Wellington - Raratonga - Tahiti - San Francisco service until 1920 when she transferred to the Tasman Sea service. In 1927 she was sold to the Otago Harbour Board for use as a breakwater. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

MODASA 1920
The MODASA was one of a class of six near-sister ships owned by British India Steam Navigation Co. Built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne, she was a 9,070 gross ton ship, length 465.2ft x beam 58.3ft x depth 32.6ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13.5 knots. There was accommodation for 127-1st and 41-2nd class passengers. Launched on 24th December 1920, she entered service in December 1921 on the UK to India or East Africa service and in 1927 carried the first large export cargo of maize from East Africa to London. In 1933 she arrived at Middlesborough to discharge her cargo before proceeding to London for repairs. She had 450 tons of oil in her tanks and Customs ruled that, as this constituted a coastal voyage, this oil was liable to customs duty. The row was only settled by taking the ship to Antwerp for repairs, this being classed as a non-coastal voyage. Between 1939 and 1945 she was employed on both commercial and government service and was refurbished in 1946 to carry 183 single class passengers. She then resumed the East Africa service until being sold for scrap in December 1953. On January 23rd 1954, after unloading her cargo at the Tyne, she proceeded to Blyth where she was scrapped. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.11, British India S.N.Co] A typical voyage for 1953 was - 3rd June Sail London, 15-16 June call Port Said, 19-20th June call Port Sudan, 23rd June call Aden, 30th June - 6th July call Mombasa, 7th July call Tanga, 8th July call Zanzibar, 9th - 12th July call Dar-es-Salaam, 14th - 16th July call Lindi, 20th - 23rd July call Beira, 28th - 30th July call Dar-es-Salaam, 31st July call Zanzibar, 1st - 2nd August call Tanga, 3rd - 8th Aug. call Mombasa, 14th Aug. call Aden, 17th - 18th Aug. call Port Sudan, 21st - 22nd Aug. call Port Said, 28th - 30th Aug. call Marseilles, 1st Sept. call Gibraltar, 7th Sept. arrive London. [Sea Safari, British India S.N.Co African Ships and Services by Peter C. Kohler]

MOERAKI 1902
The MOERAKI was a 4392 gross ton ship, length 368.8ft x beam 47.2ft (112.41m x 14.39m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots. Accommodation for 187 / 221-1st and 124 / 135-2nd class passengers. Built by Wm.Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, she was launched for the Union Steamship Co of New Zealand on 9th July 1902. Handed over to the company on 30th Sep, she was used on the Trans-Tasman service. From 1928 she worked with the Australasian United SS Co on their Sydney - Fiji route and was laid up in 1930 at Sydney. On 25th Feb.1933 she left Sydney for Japan where she was scrapped at Osaka.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, Union SS Co of New Zealand]

MOHAWK / BELGIC 1885
4212 gross tons, length 420.3ft x beam 42.4ft, one funnel, four masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 14 knots. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast as the BELGIC for White Star Line's Pacific service, she was launched on 3rd Jan.1885. Her maiden voyage from San Francisco to Yokohama and Hong Kong started 28th Nov.1885 and she continued Pacific services until 1898. Sold to Atlantic Transport Line in 1899, she was renamed MOHAWK and started her first voyage from Belfast to London and New York on 5th Aug.1899. Her second voyage between London and New York started 7th Sep.1899 and in Oct.1899 she became a Boer War military transport. In 1903 she was scrapped at Garston. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.2]

MOKOIA 1898
3,502 gross tons, length 330ft x beam 43.1ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 16 knots. Accommodation for 212-1st and 124-2nd class passengers. Launched 4th Aug.1898 by Wm.Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for the Union S.S.Co of New Zealand, she sailed to NZ and was then used on the Sydney - Auckland - Dunedin service. In 1908 she transferred to the Auckland - coastal ports - Dunedin route and between 1914-1918 was used as a troopship, mostly on NZ - Australia trans-shipment service. In 1920 she was withdrawn from service and laid up at Port Chalmers until 1929 when she was reduced to a hull and sunk at Carey's Bay, Port Chalmers. In 1941 the remains were raised for the recovery of the scrap metal and she was demolished down to the waterline and again sunk to strengthen the mole at Otago Heads. [Merchant Fleets, vol.32 by Duncan Haws]

MOLTKE / PESARO 1901
The MOLTKE was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg in 1901 for the Hamburg America Line. Her details were 12,335 gross tons, length 525.6ft x beam 62.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 390-1st, 230-2nd and 550-3rd class passengers. Launched on 27/8/1901, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Hamburg to Boulogne, Southampton and New York on 2/3/1902. On 3/4/1906 she commenced her first sailing between Naples, Genoa and New York and her last voyage, Genoa - Naples - New York - Genoa on 23/6/1914. She was interned at Genoa in 1914 and on 25/5/1915 she was seized by Italy and renamed PESARO. She commenced her first voyage for the Italian company, Lloyd Sabaudo, on 23/4/1919 when she sailed from Genoa for Marseilles and New York. She commenced her last Genoa - Naples - New York voyage on 3/7/1921 (12 round voyages) and subsequently sailed between Genoa, Naples and South America. She was scrapped in 1925 in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.407]

MONARCH OF BERMUDA / NEW AUSTRALIA / ARKADIA 1931
22,242 gross tons, length 579ft x beam 76.7ft, three funnels, two masts, four propellers, speed 20 knots, accommodation for 830-1st class passengers. Launched on 17th Mar.1931 by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd, Newcastle for Furness, Withy & Co and registered at Hamilton, Bermuda. Used on the New York - Bermuda service of the Bermuda & West Indies SS Co but not owned by them. In 1934 she rescued some passengers from the burning ship MORRO CASTLE. 1939 converted to a troopship and operated by the Ministry of War Transport. Among other wartime exploits, she took part in the Norway campaign, shipped Britain's gold reserves to Halifax and was involved in the invasion of North Africa at Oran where she was damaged by shellfire. Later took part in Sicily landings and the build up to the Normandy invasion. In 1947 during her re-conversion to peacetime operations at Newcastle, she was virtually destroyed by fire and towed to the Firth of Forth. Rebuilt to 20,256 tons with one funnel and acommodation for 1,600 single class passengers, she was acquired by the Ministry of Transport (managed by Shaw, Savill & Albion Line) as an emigrant ship and renamed NEW AUSTRALIA. Used on the UK - Australia emigrant service, in 1953 she trooped to Korea and in 1958 was sold to the Greek Line and renamed ARKADIA. Re-fitted to carry 150-1st and 1,150-tourist class passengers, she started Bremen - Quebec - Montreal sailings in May 1958. In Dec.1966 she arrived at Valencia for scrapping. [Merchant Fleets, vol.37 by Duncan Haws]

MONGOLIA 1903 / PRESIDENT FILLMORE 1929 / PANAMANIAN 1940
13,639 gross tons, length 600ft x beam 65.3ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 300-cabin and 1,450-3rd class passengers. Laid down as the MINNELORA, she was launched on 24th Jul.1903 by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, NJ as the MONGOLIA for Pacific Mail SS Co. and used on the trans-Pacific service. In Aug.1915 she was sold to Atlantic Transport Co. of West Virginia, and sailed from San Francisco to New York via Cape Horn. Her first New York - London voyage started 5th Jan.1916 and her ninth and last on this route started 18th Mar.1917. She then became a U.S. Transport until 1921 when she was chartered to the American Line and in Jan.1920 commenced her first voyage from New York to Hamburg, Antwerp, Southampton and New York. Her last Hamburg - New York crossing started 31st Dec.1924 and on 26th Feb.1925 she sailed on her first New York - Panama - San Francisco voyage for Panama Pacific Line. In 1929 she went to the Dollar Line, was rebuilt to 15,575 gross tons, fitted with accommodation for 300-1st class passengers and renamed PRESIDENT FILLMORE. Used on the New York - Panama - California - Japan - China - Mediterranean - New York "round the world" service until Nov.1931 when she was laid up at New York. While laid up, she came under the ownership of American President Line in 1938 and in 1940 was sold by them to Panama and renamed PANAMANIAN. Badly damaged by fire at Fremantle in 1945, she was repaired but was scrapped at Hong Kong in 1947-48. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1095 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

MONGOLIA 1904
9,505 gross tons, length 545ft x beam 58.3ft (166,12m x 17,78m), two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. Accommodation for 348-1st and 166-2nd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock for the Peninsular & Oriental SN Co (P&O Line), she started her maiden voyage from London on 5th Feb.1904 to Colombo, Melbourne and Sydney. She continued this service and in 1910-12 two voyages were extended to Auckland. In June 1917 she struck a mine and sank 58 miles off Bombay with the loss of 23 lives.[North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

MONGOLIAN 1891
4,838 gross tons, length 400ft x beam 45.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 100-1st, 80-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 13th Nov.1890 by D & W. Henderson, Glasgow for the Allan Line, she started her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Halifax and Portland on 12th Feb.1891. On 23rd Apr.1891 she commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage and on 14th May 1897 started her first Glasgow - New York sailing. In 1900 she was used as a Boer War transport and on 13th Apr.1905 commenced her last Glasgow - Liverpool - Halifax - New York sailing. On 20th May 1905 she transferred to Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal sailings and in Dec.1907 made her first Glasgow - St. John's, NF - Philadelphia voyage. Her final Glasgow - St. John, NB - Halifax - Glasgow sailing started on 30th Dec.1914 and in 1915 she was sold to the British Admiralty and then operated by Indian & Peninsular S.N. Co., Bombay. On 21st Jul.1918 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC.70 while 5 miles off Filey Brig on voyage Middlesbrough to London, with the loss of 36 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1 p.318 by N.R.P. Bonsor] [Register of Merchant Ships Completed 1891 by Starke / Schell].

MONMOUTH / FITZPATRICK / BUCRANIA / SHINZEI MARU 1896
MONMOUTH, O.N.105987, was 4,071 gross tons, 2,627 nett tons. Built in 1896 by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co., Newcastle as the FITZPATRICK for Burrell & Sons, Glasgow, she was purchased by Elder, Dempster in 1898 and renamed MONMOUTH and used on the North Atlantic trade. 1899 sold to Bucentaur SS Co. (Bucknall Bros), London renamed BUCRANIA. 1911 sold to Japan renamed SHINSEI MARU. 23rd March 1916 sailed from Port Townsend on voyage Tacoma to Yokohama and went missing.

MONMOUTH / SHINZAN MARU / TRETI KRABALOV 1900
The MONMOUTH was built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesborough in 1900 for Elder Dempster Line. She was a 4,078 gross ton ship, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Launched on 1st May 1900, she commenced her maiden voyage from the Tyne to Montreal and Avonmouth on 25th July 1900. On 2nd September 1900 she commenced her first voyage from Avonmouth to New Orleans and on 4th December 1900 started her first voyage as a Boer War troop transport from Fiume to Capetown. She made six voyages from Fiume or New Orleans on this service and on 9th October 1902 resumed the Tyne - Montreal - Avonmouth route. On 29th November 1902 she resumed the Avonmouth - New Orleans run and in 1903 was bought by Canadian Pacific and ran between London or Bristol and Canada. On 16th November 1916 she struck a mine off Cherbourg but was towed in. After repair she sailed from Liverpool on 27th September 1917 to Murmansk and Archangel and on 31st December 1919 was sold to Imperial Oil Co. of Toronto. In 1922 she went to Stillmar, Sarnia, Ontario, and in 1923 was sold to Kishimoto KK, Japan and in 1925 was renamed SHINZAN MARU. In 1929 she was sold again, to Dalgosrybtrest, Vladivostok, Russia and renamed TRETI KRABOLOV. She was no longer registered in 1960. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1308] [Canadian Pacific, 100 years by George Musk]

MONTANA 1872
Built in 1872 by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne for the Guion Line of Livepool, this was a 4,321 gross ton ship, length 400.4ft x beam 43.7ft, straighr stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 60-1st, 90-intermediate and 900-3rd class. Launched on 14th Nov.1872, but on the delivery voyage from the Tyne to Liverpool, five of her boilers were put out of action by tube blow-outs and the ship put in at Portsmouth for temporary repairs. Upon arrival at Liverpool, the Board of Trade inspector refused to pass her until she had undertaken a six day trial; during which she encountered further trouble. The boilers were replaced and the ship didn't sail on her maiden voyage from Liverpool for New York until 17th Jun.1874, but returned to Liverpool on 21st June with further engine trouble. Eventually she sailed again on 7th July 1875, almost two years behind schedule. She continued Liverpool - Queenstown - New York sailings until 14th Mar.1880 when she stranded on Anglesey, North Wales, was refloated and scrapped at Sunderland the same year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.702-709]

MONTCALM / CRENELLA / REY ALFONSO / ANGLO-NORSE / POLAR CHIEF / EMPIRE CHIEF 1897
5505 gross tons, length 445ft x beam 52.5ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Accommodation for 12-2nd class passengers. Built by Palmers Co Ltd, Jarrow-on-Tyne and launched for Elder Dempster & Co on 17th May 1897. Maiden voyage 3rd Sep 1897 Avonmouth - Montreal. 13th Nov.1898 chartered to Atlantic Transport Line and sailed Bristol - New York - London. 24th Dec.1898 first voyage London - New York. 1899 rebuilt to 6981 gross tons. 27th Jan.1900 eleventh and last London - New York voyage. 5th Apr.1900 sailed Liverpool for Capetown as Boer War transport and the did six New Orleans - Capetown voyages, probably with horses or mules. June 1902 first of four Avonmouth - Montreal voyages. 1903 sold to Canadian Pacific. Aug.1914 requisitioned by British Admiralty as a military transport. Oct.1914 converted into dummy battleship HMS AUDACIOUS. 1915 became naval store ship. Jan.1916 purchased by the British Admiralty and operated by the Leyland Line. Oct.1916 converted to a tanker and transferred to Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co (Shell), renamed CRENELLA. Oct.1917 transferred to the Shipping Controller. 26th Nov.1917 torpedoed off Ireland but reached port. 26th Nov.1919 purchased by Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co. 19th Oct.1920 purchased by Runciman, London. 1923 became Norwegian whaling depot ship renamed REY ALFONSO. 1927 renamed ANGLO-NORSE. 1929 sold to Falkland Whaling Co renamed POLAR CHIEF. 1941 owned by Ministry of War Transport renamed EMPIRE CHIEF. 1946 returned to South Georgia Co renamed POLAR CHIEF. 1952 scrapped at Dalmuir, Scotland. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1304]

MONTCALM / WOLFE 1920
The MONTCALM was the third ship with that name and was owned by Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. She was built in 1920 by John Brown & Co, Glasgow and was a 16,418 gross ton ship, length 549.5ft x beam 70.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 542-cabin class and 1,268-3rd class passengers. Launched on 3/7/1920, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to St John NB on 17/1/1922 and rescued the crew of the Norwegian steamer MOD during this crossing. On 21/4/1922 she commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage and in 1927 was converted to cabin, tourist and 3rd class. On 3/7/1927 she collided with an iceberg in the Belle Isle Straits but received only superficial damage. She commenced her first Southampton - Cherbourg - St John NB voyage on 16/3/1929 and her first Antwerp - Southampton - Cherbourg - St John NB voyage on 12/4/1929. On 14/5/1929 she started her first Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec - Montreal crossing and commenced the last voyage on this service on 28/4/1932 (15 round voyages). On 31/1/1930 she resumed Liverpool - Canada voyages (10 round voyages) and between 1932 - 1939 made 48 pleasure cruises as well as North Atlantic crossings from Antwerp, Southampton or Liverpool. On 12/3/1932  she rescued 27 men and the captain's dog from the rescue tug REINDEER in heavy seas off Halifax. In April 1939 she was converted to cabin and 3rd class only and commenced her last voyage from Southampton to Cherbourg and St John NB on 8/4/1939 (163 N.Atlantic crossings) On 17/10/1939 she was requisitioned and converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser, renamed HMS WOLFE and one one occasion received two direct hits during a bombing raid. One bomb hit a ventilator and rebounded into the sea and the second one failed to explode and was hove over the side. In January 1942 she sailed to Canada and then Baltimore for conversion to a submarine depot ship, but on 22/5/1942 she was sold to the British Admiralty and in January 1943 converted to a destroyer depot ship. Laid up in 1950, she was towed to the Clyde in 1952 and scrapped at Faslane. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1316] [Canadian Pacific 100 Years by George Musk]

MONTCLARE 1922
The MONTCLARE was built by John Brown & Co.Ltd, Glasgow in 1922 for Canadian Pacific Steamships Ltd. She was a 16,314 gross ton vessel, length 549.5ft x beam 70.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 542-cabin class and 1,268-3rd class passengers. She was laid down as the METAPEDIA but launched on 18th Dec.1921 as the MONTCLARE. On 18th Aug.1922 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal. In 1928, her accommodation was altered to cabin, tourist and 3rd class and her engines rebuilt in 1929. On 22nd Mar.1929 she commenced an Antwerp - Southampton - St.John NB. Service and on 17th Apr.1929 an Antwerp - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal service. On 20th Mar.1930 she made her first voyage Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - St John NB. and commenced her last voyage Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec - Montreal on 9th Nov.1933. Between 1932 - 1939 she carried out 48 pleasure cruises, but some N.Atlantic voyages from Hamburg, Antwerp, Southampton or Liverpool. In Jan.1939 she was rebuilt to carry cabin and 3rd class only and commenced her last N.Atlantic voyage on 21st Jul.1939 fom Liverpool to Greenock, Belfast, Quebec, Montreal and Liverpool. On 28th Aug.1939 she was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser and named HMS MONTCLARE and on 2nd Jun.1942 was sold to the British Admiralty. In 1946 she was used as a submarine depot ship, and in 1954 was towed to Gareloch. In 1955 she was towed to Portsmouth and in Jan.1958 was sold and scrapped at Inverkeithing. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor - Vol.3,p.1317]

MONTEBELLO / CHARTERS TOWER / FANFULLA 1887
The MONTEBELLO was a 2,577 gross ton ship, length 300ft x beam 40.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by J.Redhead & Co, South Shields, she was launched as the CHARTERS TOWER for British owners on 7th Jun.1887. Sold to Schiaffino, Italy in 1887, she was renamed FANFULLA. In 1892 she came under the ownership of Navigazione Generale Italiana and was renamed MONTEBELLO. Her first North Atlantic voyage started 8th Jan.1893 when she sailed from Genoa for Naples, Messina, Palermo and New York, and her fourth and last was 12th Apr.1897 between Licata, Catania, Messina, Palermo and New York. In 1910 she was sold to Soc.Nazionale di Servizi Marittimi, and in 1913 went to Marittima Italiana. On 9th Jun.1917 she was torpedoed and sunk by an enemy submarine while 100 miles east of San Feliu de Guixols, Spain. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1114]

MONTEBELLO / BARCELO 1890
The MONTEBELLO was built in 1890 by Richardson Duck, Stockton and was a 1,735 gross ton ship, length 276ft x beam 35ft. Used for Scandinavia / Baltic to UK services. Sold on 28.6.1910 to Comp. Valenciana, Spain and renamed BARCELO. Sold for scrapping in 1929. [The Wilson Line 1831-1981 by A.G.Credland & M.Thompson]

MONTEREY / MATSONIA / LURLINE / BRITANIS 1932
The MONTEREY was built in 1932 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp, Quincy, Mass. for the US, Matson Line. She was an 18,655 gross ton ship, length 632ft x beam 79ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 20 knots. She commenced her maiden voyage from San Francisco to New Zealand and Australia on 3.6.1932. In 1940 she was sent to the Far East to evacuate American subjects. Between 1941 and 1946 she was used as a troopship and then laid up at Alameda until 1952 when she was sold to the US government for further use as a troopship. Repurchased in 1956 by Matson Line and renamed MATSONIA, she was refitted at Newport News and commenced sailing between Los Angeles and Honolulu on 11.6.1957. In December 1963 she was renamed LURLINE and in 1970 was sold to the Greek, Chandris Lines and renamed BRITANIS. She was refitted at Piraeus and on 21.2.1971 commenced Southampton - round the world cruises.  The Britanis carried on cruising until 1994 when she was used as an accommodation ship for the US Military for the Military Sealift Command. In 1998 she was sold to Belofin AG and renamed Belofin 1 to be scrapped. The scrap market was depressed and she was laid up for some time, and other organisations expressed an interest in buying her for further cruising. On July 3, 2000, she left Tampa in tow for Pakistan for scrapping, but sank on October 21st 2000 off the coast of South Africa, 50 miles from Cape Town.[Pacific Liners by F.Emmons][Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas]

MONTEREY / HAITI / PUERTO RICO / ADANA 1932
"Monterey" built in 1932 at Newport News as the "Haiti" for the Columbia Steamship Co. This was a 5,236 gross ton vessel, single screw and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st and 24-tourist passengers and she also carried refrigerated cargo. She was originally designed to run between New York and Port-au-Prince, Kingston, Jamaica, Puerto Columbia and Cristobal. In 1938 she transferred to the New York - Puerto Rico service and was renamed "Puerto Rico". In 1939 she went to the Ward Line and was named "Monterey". In 1942 she was chartered to the US Army and roughly converted to a troopship at New York. After a long voyage to the Persian Gulf and India, her conversion was completed to carry just over 1,000 troops. She took an active part in the Operation Torch landings in French North Africa and was then used to carry reinforcements to US bases in the West Indies, Brazil, etc. Her war service was finished by repatriating personnel from the Mediterranean. In 1948 she was sold to Turkish owners and renamed "Adana", but in 1952 her engine room flooded while at anchor off Istanbul and she was beached in shallow water. I have no further information on this ship. [Sea Breezes magazine, vol.14,p.56, July 1952]

MONTE ROSA / EMPIRE WINDRUSH 1930
Built by Blohm and Voss, Hamburg in 1930 as the MONTE ROSA for the Hamburg South America Line. 13,882 gross tons, length 500.3ft x beam 65.7ft (152,49m x 20,02m), two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation for 1,372-tourist and 1,036 steerage class passengers. She carried a crew of 272. Launched on 4th Dec.1930 she left Hamburg on 21st Mar.1931 on her maiden voyage to South American and River Plate ports. At the outbreak of war in Sep.1939 she was at Hamburg and on 11th Jan.1940 was located at Stettin as a Naval accommodation ship. In 1942 she was used as a troopship between German and Danish / Norwegian ports and from Oct.1943 until Mar.1944 was used as a repair and accommodation ship at Altenfjord, Norway for the damaged battleship TIRPITZ. In Mar.1944 she was refitted as a troopship, but after striking a mine, was again refitted as a hospital ship. On 16th Feb.1945 she again struck a mine off Hela, was towed to Gdynia with a flooded engine room and listing badly. She made temporary repairs and was towed to Copenhagen with 5,000 refugees from the advancing Russian army. In May she was taken to Kiel and laid up until Nov.18th when she was captured as a British war prize. Repaired and refitted as a 14,414 gross ton troopship at South Shields, she was renamed EMPIRE WINDRUSH in 1946 and managed for the Ministry of Transport by the New Zealand Shipping Co. During her trooping service she made 13 round voyages to the Far East, 4 to India, 1 to the West Indies and 10 to the Mediterranean. Refitted in 1950 to 14,651 gross tons. On 28th Mar.1954 while on voyage from Yokohama to England, she caught fire in the Mediterranean near Cape Caxine, Algeria following an engine room explosion. 1,498 passengers and crew were saved and four died. The destroyer HMS SAINTES tried to tow the ship to Gibraltar but she sank the following day.[Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.3] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7, New Zealand Shipping and Federal S.N.Co.]

MONTEVIDEO / APENRADE / BANKOKU MARU 1873
2,238 gross tons, length 94.5m x beam 11.0m, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 30-1st and 160-steerage class passengers. Launched Feb.1873 by Charles Mitchell & Co, Newcastle for Hamburg South America Line. June 1888 sold to M. Jebsen, Apenrade renamed APENRADE, Aug.1890 sold to Asano Kaisha, Tokyo renamed BANKOKU MARU. Owned by various Japanese owners until 8th Aug.1908 when she sank off Shirasura, Japan while on voyage Muroran to Yokohama with a cargo of coal. [Hamburg South America Line by Cooper, Kludas & Pein]

MONTEVIDEO 1889
5,205 g.t., 410.5ft x 48.2ft (125.11m x 14.69m), one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation 154-1st, 48-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 16th May 1889 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton as the MONTE VIDEO (2 words), she was purchased on the stocks by Cia. Trasatlantica Espanola and later renamed MONTEVIDEO. She was probably used initially on the West Indies and Panama services but in July 1902 she transferred to the Genoa - Barcelona - Malaga - Cadiz - New York - Havana - Vera Cruz route until 1928. In 1936 she was laid up at Port Mahon until 1940 when scrapped in Spain. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3, p.1256 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

MONTEZUMA / IRON DUKE / ABADOL / OAKLEAF 1899
The MONTEZUMA was a 7,345 gross ton ship, length 485ft x beam 59ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots. Built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, she was launched as a cargo steamer with limited passenger accommodation for Elder Dempster & Co on 11th Jul.1899. Her maiden voyage started 12th Sep.1899 when she left Greenock for New Orleans and on 22nd Oct.1899 left New Oreleans on the first of 8 voyages as a Boer War transport. (probably transporting mules or horses). On 20th Aug.1902 she commenced a single round voyage between London and Montreal and in Oct.1902 sailed between Avonmouth and New Orleans. Transferred to Canadian Pacific when they purchased Elder Dempster's Canadian services in 1903, she was fitted with accommodation for 1,000-3rd class passengers and started her first London - Antwerp - St John NB voyage in March 1904. On 8th May 1904 she commenced her first London - Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal sailing and in 1914 was taken over by the Admiralty and converted into a dummy of the battleship HMS IRON DUKE. On 7th Jul.1915 she was purchased by the Admiralty, renamed ABADOL and used as a naval oiler. In 1917 she went to Lane & MacAndrew as the OAKLEAF and on 25th July 1917 was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC.41 while 64 miles from the Butt of Lewis, Scotland. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1307]

MONTFORT 1899
The MONTFORT was built in 1899 by Palmers Co Ltd, Jarrow-on-Tyne for Elder Dempster's Beaver Line. She was a 5,519 gross ton ship, length 445ft x beam 52.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. Built primarily as a cargo vessel, she had accommodation for only 12-1st class passengers. Launched on 13/2/1899, she sailed from the Tyne on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 26/4/1899. In May 1899 she made her first of four Avonmouth - Montreal passages. She was transferred to trooping duties for the Boer War and commenced her first of three Liverpool - Capetown voyages on 11/11/1899. She also made one round voyage from each of Halifax, New Orleans and Fiume to Capetown. In 1900 she was refitted to carry 30-1st class and 1,200-3rd class passengers and her tonnage increased to 7,087 tons. Her first passenger voyage between Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal commenced on 17/7/1900 and she received several refits to various tonnages between 1901-1903. In 1903, the MONTFORT went to Canadian Pacific together with the rest of Beaver Line's Canadian fleet and her accommodation was altered to carry 30-2nd and 1,200-3rd class passengers. The following year the company switched it's service from Avonmouth to London/Antwerp to Canada and on the eastbound journey, the third class berths were frequently dismantled in Montreal and replaced with portable stalls to carry upwards of 1,200 head of cattle to London. In 1909, she was again rebuilt to 6,578 tons and on 6/12/1916 was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.55, 170 miles from Bishops Rock, Scilly Islands, with the loss of 5 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1306] [Canadian Pacific 100 years by George Musk]

MONTLAURIER / PRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM / EMPRESS OF INDIA / MONTNAIRN 1907
This was a 17,082 gross ton vessel built by J.C.Tecklenborg, Geestemunde in 1907 as the PRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM for North German Lloyd of Bremen. Her details were - length 590.1ft x beam 68.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was accommodation for 416-1st, 338-2nd and 1,726-3rd class passengers. Laid down as the WASHINGTON she was launched as the PRINZ FRIEDRICH WILHELM on 21/10/1907. She sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton, Cherbourg and New York on 6/6/1908 and commenced her last voyage on this service on 13/6/1914. In August 1914, on the outbreak of the Great War, she took refuge at Odda, Norway during a pleasure cruise, and on 31/3/1919 surrendered to Britain, who chartered her to the US Navy Dept. In 1920 she was chartered to Canadian Pacific who used her on the Liverpool - Quebec service, starting on 14/7/1920. In 1921 she was bought outright by Canadian Pacific from the Reparations Commission and reconditioned at Glasgow. On 2/8/1921 she was renamed EMPRESS OF CHINA but never sailed as such, and later that month was again renamed EMPRESS OF INDIA. On 25/8/1921 she was chartered to Cunard and completed two Southampton - New York voyages for them and was then returned to Canadian Pacific. On 23/6/1922 she commenced the first of two Liverpool - Quebec voyages and on 21/8/1922 started a single Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec voyage. She was then renamed MONTLAURIER and rebuilt to carry Cabin class and 3rd class passengers and on 4/5/1923 sailed from Liverpool for Quebec but returned due to boiler trouble, and finally sailed on 29/6/1923. She commenced her last voyage Liverpool - St John NB on 24/1/1925 and sailed from St John on 22/2/1925 but had steering gear trouble off Fastnet and returned to Queenstown and was then towed to Liverpool. On 14/4/1925 she was damaged by fire when under repair by Cammel Laird, but was repaired and on 18/6/1925 was renamed MONTEITH but never sailed under this name. On 2/7/1925 she was again renamed as MONTNAIRN and from 17/7/1925 sailed between Liverpool and Quebec. In July 1926 she was converted to cabin, tourist and 3rd class and on 4/5/1927 commenced her first voyage Antwerp - Southampton - Quebec. On 16/9/1928 she commenced her final sailing from Hamburg to Southampton, Cherbourg and Quebec and was then laid up at Southampton (62 N.Atlantic round voyages for Canadian Pacific). On 23/12/1929 she was sold and scrapped at Genoa. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1315]

MONTREAL 1900
The first MONTREAL was built by C.S.Swan & Hunter, Wallsend-on-Tyne (engines by Wallsend Slipway Co Ltd) in 1900. She was a 6,870 gross ton ship, length 469.5ft x beam 56.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. She was launched on 28th April 1900 for Elder Dempster's Beaver Line and sailed from the Tyne on her maiden voyage to Montreal and London on 4th July 1900. She then left London on 26th August 1900 on a single round voyage to Montreal before being transferred as a troopship between New Orleans and Cape Town for the Boer War for 7 voyages. (20th Nov.1900 first voyage New Orleans to Cape Town). In 1903 she was purchased by Canadian Pacific, together with the rest of Elder Dempster's Canadian assets. She was rebuilt to 8,644 gross tons and with accommodation for 1,000-3rd class passengers in 1904, and in April of that year, made her first London - Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal voyage. In August 1914 at the outbreak of the Great War, she was at Antwerp undergoing engine repairs, together with the MONTROSE which was waiting to bunker. The MONTREAL transferred her coal bunkers to the MONTROSE, which then towed her, together with a large number of refugees to Gravesend. On 1st April 1915 she was requisitioned as a troopship, and on 29th January 1918 was in collision with the White Star Liner CEDRIC. She was taken in tow, but on 30th January 1918 she sank 14 miles from the Bar Lightship, Liverpool with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1306-7] [Canadian Pacific-100 Years by George Musk]

MONTREAL 1921 see KONIG FRIEDRICH AUGUST 1906

MONTROSE 1897
5,440 gross tons, length 444.3ft x beam 52.0ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 12 knots, built with accommodation for 12-1st class passengers. Built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co, Middlesbrough, she was launched on 17th Jun.1897 for Elder, Dempster & Co. and mader her maiden voyage Middlesbrough - Quebec - Montreal in Sep.1897. On 29th Oct.1897 she started her first voyage on the Avonmouth - Montreal service and on 14th Mar.1900 commenced the first of 8 voyages Liverpool - Cape Town as a Boer War transport. In 1901 she was rebuilt to 7,094 gross tons and in 1903 was sold to Canadian Pacific and fitted with accommodation for 70-2nd and 1,800-3rd class passengers. 20th Apr.1903 first voyage Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal. 7th Apr.1904 first voyage London - Antwerp - St. John, NB. 28th May 1904 first voyage London - Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal. 1905 rebuilt to 6,278 gross tons. 20th Jul.1910 sailed Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal with notorious criminal Dr. Crippen on board who was arrested in Canada as a result of radio message from the ship. 1911 rebuilt to 7,207 gross tons. 28th Oct.1914 sold to the Admiralty for use as a blockship at Dover but broke loose from her moorings in a gale, drifted out and was wrecked on the Goodwin Sands.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3 by N.R.P. Bonsor]

MONTROSE 1922
16,403 gross tons, length 548.7ft x beam 70.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 542-cabin and 1,268-3rd class passengers. Launched on 14th Dec.1920 by Fairfield Co, Glasgow for Canadian Pacific SS Co., she started her maiden voyage on 5th May 1922 from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal. In 1928 her accommodation was altered to cabin, tourist and 3rd class and on 18th Jul.1928 she started her first voyage Antwerp - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal. 29th May 1929 first voyage Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec - Montreal and on 6th Jun.1933 commenced her 11th and last voyage on this route. Between 1932 and 1932 she made 46 pleasure cruises as well as some North Atlantic voyages from Hamburg, Antwerp, Southampton or Liverpool. She started her last Liverpool - Belfast - Greenock - Quebec - Montreal - Liverpool voyage on 25th Aug.1939 and was then converted to the Armed Merchant Cruiser HMS FORFAR. On 2nd Dec.1940 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.99 off the West coast of Ireland with the loss of 172 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3 by N.R.P. Bonsor]

The MONTROSE was a sister ship to the MONTCLARE and the third MONTCALM. She was built in 1920 by Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow for Canadian Pacific Line, and it was originally intended to name her MONTMORENCY after the great waterfall in Quebec, but this was changed before launch. She was a 16,402 gross ton ship, length 548.7ft x beam 70.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 542-cabin and 1,268-3rd class. Launched on 14/12/1920 by Lady Raeburn, wife of the Director-General of the Ministry of Shipping, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 5/5/1922. In April 1928 she was refitted to carry cabin, tourist and 3rd class passengers, and the same year, struck an iceberg in thick fog near St John. This caused damage to the bows and killed two seamen by falling ice, but the ship was able to proceed to Liverpool. On 18/7/1928 she commenced her first Antwerp - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal voyage, and on 29/5/1929 started her first Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Quebec - Montreal sailing. In April and May 1929 two calls were also made at Cardiff to pick up emigrants from South Wales. She was fitted with single reduction geared turbines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1931 and on 6/6/1933 started her last Hamburg - Canada voyage having made 11 round voyages on this service. Between 26/3/1932 and 24/6/1939 she made 46 pleasure cruises as well as some North Atlantic voyages from Hamburg, Antwerp, Southampton or Liverpool. She was also chartered by the Royal Empire Society in May 1937 for a four day cruise from Liverpool to Spithead for the Coronation naval review. In January 1939 her accommodation was altered to carry cabin and 3rd class only and on 25/8/1939 she commenced her last voyage from Liverpool to Belfast, Greenock, Quebec, Montreal and Liverpool (arr.11/9/1939), having made 152 round voyages on the North Atlantic. On 12/9/1939 she was requisitioned by the Admiralty, converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser and renamed HMS FORFAR. She joined the Northern Patrol, and on 2/12/1940 when on route to meet a convoy from Halifax, and 400 miles west of Ireland, she was hit by a single torpedo fired from the German submarine U.99. Half an hour later she was hit by two more torpedoes, but it was not until she was hit by two further torpedoes that she finally sank at 0500 hours. HMCS ST LAURENT picked up 20 survivors and another 200 were rescued by HMS VISCOUNT and a tramp steamer, but 184 men were lost. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1316] [Canadian Pacific - 100 Years by George Musk]

MONTROYAL 1924 see EMPRESS OF BRITAIN 1906

MONTSERRAT see DANIA 1889

MOOLTAN / ELEANOR MARGARET 1860
2,257 gross tons, length 370ft x beam 39.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots. Accommodation for 112-1st and 37-2nd class passengers. Built by the Thames Iron Ship Building Co, Blackwall, London (engines by Humphreys & Tennant, Deptford), she was registered for P & O on Mar.8th 1861. Designed as P & Os most luxurious vessel to date, she was expensively decorated throughout. Her engines were the company's first compound type and were designed to cut the consumption of coal by half. To assist in maintaining a reliable service speed, she was designed with a narrow beam, but this produced severe rolling in a cross sea and she was never a successful ship. Her maiden voyage started 20th Jul.1861 when she left Southampton for Alexandria and she was later transferred to the Calcutta to Suez route (this was before the opening of the Suez Canal when UK - India passages were covered in two parts). 1866 Despite the economy of the new type of engine, it was found unreliable and a new engine and boilers installed. 15th Nov.1874 prematurely laid up at London. 14th Dec.1880 sold to Elles & Co, Liverpool. 1883 sold to J. J. Wallace, London. 1884 sold to J. Pedley, London renamed ELEANOR MARGARET and reduced to a four masted barque. 1888 sold to J. D. Bischoff, Germany. 28th Jun.1891 sailed from Newcastle-upon-Tyne for Valparaiso and went missing in the North Atlantic.[Merchant Fleets, vol.1 by Duncan Haws] [P & O, A Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue]

MOOLTAN 1905
9,621 gross tons, length 545ft x beam 58.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 348-1st and 166-2nd class passengers. Completed on 4th Oct.1905 by Caird & Co., Greenock for P & O. Steam Navigation Co. she made her maiden voyage to Bombay. In 1906 she transferred to the London - Colombo - Melbourne - Sydney service and in 1911 took part in the Coronation Naval review at Spithead. On 26th Jul.1915 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC.27 off the coast of Sardinia while en route Malta for Marseilles while in convoy. All 554 passengers and crew were rescued by escorting Japanese destroyers.[Merchant Fleets vol.1 by Duncan Haws] [P & O, A Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue, ISBN 0-905617-45-2 contains photos]

MOOLTAN 1923
20,847 gross tons, length 600.8ft x beam 73.4ft (183.11m x 22.38m), two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 327-1st and 329-2nd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for the P&O Line on 15th Feb.1923 and sailed from London on her maiden voyage via Suez to Colombo, Melbourne and Sydney on 21st Dec.1923. In 1929 Bombay was added to her route and in 1939 she was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser, based at Freetown. She became a troopship in 1941 and was used trooping from Bombay and in Nov.1942 was present at the North African landings at Arzeu. Refitted in 1948 with accommodation for 1,030-tourist class passengers, she returned to the Australia trade in August. In Jan.1954 she was sold and scrapped at Faslane. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

MORAITIS / THEMISTOCLES 1907
6,045 gross tons, length 400ft x beam 50ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 100-1st and 1,500-3rd class passengers. Launched 16th Apr.1907 by J. Priestman & Co, Sunderland for Hellenic Transport Line, Greece. 1st Jul.1907 maiden voyage Piraeus - Patras - Gibraltar - Bermuda - New York. 5th Sep.1908 last voyage Smyrna - Piraeus - Patras - Algiers - New York (8 Round voyages). 1908 sold to Hellenic Transatlantic S.N. Co renamed THEMISTOCLES. 12th Nov.1908 first voyage Smyrna - Piraeus - Kalamata - Patras - New York. Nov.1912 taken over as Greek military transport. 12th Jul.1913 resumed Piraeus - New York service. 24th Oct.1914 last voyage Piraeus - Kalamata - Patras - New York. 1914 transferred to National Greek Line and 21st Nov.1914 started first voyage Piraeus - Kalamata - Patras - Palermo - New York. 28th Aug.1924 last voyage Piraeus - Kalamata - Patras - New York except for one Piraeus - New York voyage starting on 14th Sep.1927. 1933 scrapped .[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1371 by N.R.P. Bonsor]

MORAVIA / BENGORE HEAD 1883
The MORAVIA was built in 1883 by A & J.Inglis, Glasgow as the BENGORE HEAD for the Ulster SS Co. of Ireland. She was a 3,739 gross ton ship, length 361.3ft x beam 40.7ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 100-1st and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Launched on 4th Aug.1883, she was bought the same year by Hamburg America Line and renamed MORAVIA. She commenced her first voyage on 18th Nov.1883  from Hamburg to Havre and New York and on 1st Jul.1886 started her first Stettin - New York voyage. On 25th Nov.1898 she commenced her last Hamburg - Havre - New York voyage and later the same year was sold to Sloman of Hamburg who intended to name her PARMA, but this was never done. In Jan 1899 she sailed from Hamburg for New York but on 12th Feb.1899 was wrecked on Sable Island with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.393]

MORAVIAN 1864
The MORAVIAN was built by R.Steele & Co, Greenock in 1864 for the Allan Line. This was a 2,481 gross ton ship, length 320.9ft x beam 39.5ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts(barque rigged for sails), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Accommodation was provided for 80-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 5/7/1864, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Portland on 10/11/1864. On 11/5/1865, she commenced her first voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal, and in 1875 was rebuilt to 3,323 tons, 389.3ft in length and compound engines fitted by Laird Bros, Birkenhead. On 19/11/1874 she resumed sailing from Liverpool to Portland and on 7/12/1881 left Liverpool and was wrecked near Cape Sable on 30/12/1881 with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.311]

MORAVIAN / AKBAR 1899
She was a 4,573 gross ton ship, length 118.96m x beam 14.32m, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 50-1st and 650-3rd class passengers. Built by Robert Napier & Sons, Glasgow, she was delivered to the Aberdeen Line in Jan.1899. Her accommodation was said not to be luxurious, but homely and comfortable and she was one of the last passenger steamers to be square rigged. Her maiden voyage from London to Australia started on 14th Feb.1899 and her final voyage for the company started on 7th Oct.1913. Sold to the Bombay & Persia SN Co in Feb.1914 and renamed AKBAR, her mainmast was removed and wireless fitted. Scrapped at Genoa in 1923. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.17, Aberdeen Line]

MORAYSHIRE / DUKE OF PORTLAND / HIGHLAND FLING 1890
3,822 gross ton, single screw steamer, length 350.5ft x beam 47.7ft, one funnel, two masts (square rigged on the foremast), speed 10 knots, built by Hawthorn Leslie, Newcastle in 1890 for Turnbull, Martin & Co (Elderslie SS Co). She catered for 1st and 3rd class passengers, and in the words of a contempory advertisement was provided with "a handsome saloon with smoking room, piano and electric light, large well ventilated cabins, ladies' boudoir, bathrooms, lavatories, etc". She sailed between London and Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney before proceeding to New Zealand where she loaded frozen meat for the homeward passage. In 1898 she was sold to the Ducal Line and renamed DUKE OF PORTLAND and in 1905 went to the Nelson Line and was renamed HIGHLAND FLING. Used on the Buenos Aires meat trade until 7th Jan.1907 when she was wrecked near the Lizard Point, Cornwall.[North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber][Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.5, Royal Mail and Nelson Lines]

MORAYSHIRE / BRODCLIFFE / TUSCANSTAR / FORTUNSTAR / SEMIEN / LUGANO 1898
5,851 gross tons, single screw, 11 knots, built in 1898 by Hawthorn, Leslie, Newcastle for Turnbull, Martin & Co (Elderslie SS Co). Accommodation for 12-1st and 150-3rd class passengers. Started sailings between London, Cape Town, Melbourne, Sydney and New Zealand on 20th Dec.1898. The Elderslie SS Co was wound up in 1910 and the ships transferred to the newly formed Scottish Shire Line. In 1914 the MORAYSHIRE was sold to the Blue Star Line and renamed BRODCLIFFE. In 1920 she was renamed TUSCANSTAR and in 1929 was sold to G.& S.Rizzuto and renamed FORTUNSTAR. In 1936 she went to I.Messina and was named SEMIEN and in 1942 was owned by Nautilus S.A and named LUGANO. She reverted to the ownership of I.Messina in 1948 and on 30th Jul.1952 arrived at Savona for scrapping. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber][Blue Star Line's 63 Years, Sea Breezes Magazine, May 1974]

MORETON BAY 1921
The MORETON BAY was built by Vickers Ltd, Barrow in 1921 for the Australian Commonwealth Line of Steamers, Brisbane. She was the first of five sister ships which included the famous "Jervis Bay". Her details were - 13,855 gross tons, length 530.6ft x beam 68.3ft (161,73m x 20,81m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 12-1st (government berths) and 712-3rd class passengers and she was fitted with refrigerated cargo space for the carriage of frozen meat. Launched on 23rd Apr.1921, she started her first London - Suez - Fremantle - Adelaide - Melbourne - Sydney - Brisbane sailing on 7th Dec.1921. She was sold to the White Star Line in May 1928 but continued in the same service. Converted to a one-class ship in 1931 with accommodation for 542-tourist class passengers and with a gross tonnage of 14,145 tons. In April 1933, following the collapse of the Kylsant shipping organisation, she was transferred to the newly formed Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line, but continued the London - Brisbane service. Commissioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser in Oct.1939 and in 1941 was converted into a troopship. She took part in the Madagascar, North African and European campaigns and in 1946 reverted to commercial service between London - Colombo - Sydney. Her final sailing commenced 30th Nov.1956 and on 13th Apr.1957 she arrived at Barrow for scrapping. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.17, Aberdeen and Aberdeen & Commonwealth Lines]

MORMACLAND / ARCHER / EMPIRE LAGAN / ANNA SALEN / TASMANIA / UNION RELIANCE 1939
The ANNA SALEN was built in 1939 as the MORMACLAND by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester for Moore-McCormack Lines. She was a 11,672 gross ton ship, length 494ft x beam 69.2ft, single screw and a with a service speed of 17 knots. In 1940 she was taken over before completion by the US Navy and refitted as an auxiliary aircraft carrier. In 1941 she was commissioned by the British Royal Navy as HMS ARCHER and was used for convoy protection duties. She collided with and sank the American SS BRAZOS on 13th Jan.1942, was badly damaged and towed stern first to Charleston. In 1945 she was taken over by the Ministry of War Transport, renamed ARCHER and refitted as a cargo ship. Managed by the Blue Funnel Line and renamed EMPIRE LAGAN, she was returned to the US Maritime Commission in 1946. Purchased by Sven Salen of Stockholm and registered under the ownership of Rederi A/S Pulp, she was rebuilt as a passenger ship with accommodation for 600 single class passengers and renamed ANNA SALEN. Used as an emigrant ship on various routes, she started a single round voyage between Bremen and Quebec on 2nd July 1953. Sold to Cia Nav.Tasmania, Piraeus in 1955, she was renamed TASMANIA and placed on the Piraeus - Melbourne service of the Hellenic Mediterranean Line. In 1958 she was rebuilt to 7,638 gross tons and in 1961 was sold to China Union Lines, Taipeh and renamed UNION RELIANCE. On 7th Nov.1961 she collided with the Norwegian tanker BERAN in the Houston Ship Channel and was beached on fire. Towed to Galveston on 11th Nov, she was sold in Jan.1962 to be scrapped at New Orleans. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.4,p.219][North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.5,p.1816]

MORMACMAIL / LONG ISLAND / NELLY / SEVEN SEAS 1940
The NELLY was an 11,086 gross ton ship, length 492ft x beam 69.6ft, built by the Sun Shipbuilding Co, Chester, Pennsylvania as the MORMACMAIL for Moore McCormack Lines, New York. She had a speed of 17 knots and accommodation for 1,300-single class passengers. Launched on 11th Jan.1940, she was transferred to the US Navy before completion, refitted as an auxiliary aircraft carrier and commissioned as the USS LONG ISLAND. Released from service in Mar.1946, she was sold to be scrapped, but was laid up and purchased in Mar.1948 by the Caribbean Land & Shipping Corp, rebuilt as a passenger ship and renamed NELLY. She entered the Bremen - Melbourne service in 1949 and continued on this run until 1953, except for the occasional Canada voyage. Refitted for the North Atlantic, she was renamed SEVEN SEAS in 1953 and from 1955 was used for Bremen - Montreal and Bremen - New York sailings. After a serious engine room fire at sea in the Atlantic in July 1965, she was towed to St.John's NF, she was repaired and the following year was sold to become a students' hostel at Rotterdam. In 1977 she was scrapped in Belgium.[Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.4 by Arnold Kludas, ISBN 0-85059-253-4 contains 2 photos of the ship]

MOSEL 1872
3,125 gross tons, length 349ft x beam 40.3ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 90-1st, 126-2nd and 680-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched on 20th Aug.1872 for North German Lloyd, Bremen. Her maiden voyage started on 4th Jan.1873 when she left Bremen for Southampton and New York and on 11th Dec.1875 she was badly damaged in a bomb explosion in Bremen with the loss of 128 lives. She sailed on her last voyage from Bremen on 2nd Jul.1882 for Southampton and New York but was wrecked in fog near Lizard Point, Cornwall on the return passage with no loss of life.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2,p.548 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen, vol.1 by Edwin Drechsel]

MOUNT REVELSTOKE PARK / LAURENTIAN FOREST / AEGEAN WAVE / AEGEAN ZEPHYR / SOUTHERN STAR / LUZON MERCHANT / AMFIALI 1943
7144 gross tons, standard wartime Canadian built 'Park' ship. Built by Marine Industries, Sorel, Quebec for the Canadian Government (Park SS Co. Ltd) in 1943. Managed by McLean, Kennedy Ltd, Montreal until 1946 when she was transferred to the British Ministry of Transport and managed by Larrinaga SS Co. until 1947, when she transferred to Aviation & Shipping Co, London. Transferred to the Ministry of Transport in 1950 and then sold to Laurentian Marine Co. and renamed LAURENTIAN FOREST. In 1957 she came under the management of Fern Hill SS Co. (Coulothros Ltd, London). 1957 Carona Cia Nav.S.A, Panama (Liberian flag) renamed AEGEAN WAVE. 1959 Insular Trading Corp. (Liberian flag) renamed AEGEAN ZEPHYR. 1963 Southern Industrial Products Inc, Manila (Philippines flag) renamed SOUTHERN STAR. 1964 Philippine Merchants SS Co. Inc (Philippines flag) renamed LUZON MERCHANT. 1965 Amfithea Shipping Co. Ltd, (John Livanos & Sons, London) Cyprus flag renamed AMFIALI. 1966 Tramping and Freighting Concern Ltd (Cyprus flag). Arrived Singapore for scrapping on 27th Sep. 1967.

MOUNT ROYAL / MARLBOROUGH / RANGOL / MAPLELEAF / BRITISH MAPLE 1898
The MOUNT ROYAL was built in 1898 by C.S.Swan & Hunter, Wallsend-on-Tyne (engines by Central Marine Engineering Co, West Hartlepool) for Elder Dempster & Co. She was a 7,044 gross ton ship, length 470ft x beam 56ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 17th Aug.1898, she sailed on her maiden voyage from the Tyne to New Orleans on 30th Nov.1898. In May 1899 she made her first Tyne - Montreal voyage and on 3rd Jul.1899 her first Tyne - Quebec sailing. She made a single Naples - Capetown round voyage as a troopship for the Boer War in Nov.1899 and a Liverpool - Capetown voyage in Feb.1900. She commenced the first of six sailings between New Orleans and Capetown on 23rd Jul.1900 and in 1903 was purchased by Canadian Pacific Railway Co. Refitted to carry 1,500-3rd class passengers in 1907 and in Oct.1914 was converted into the dummy battleship HMS MARLBOROUGH. In the summer of 1915 she was rebuilt as a naval oiler and renamed RANGOL, on 17th Nov.1916 went to Lane & MacAndrew who renamed her MAPLELEAF and on 7th Nov.1917 came under the Shipping Controller. Sold to the British Tanker Co in 1919, she was renamed BRITISH MAPLE and used as an oil tanker until 6th Jun.1922 when she became a bunker depot ship at Southampton. On 25th Jan.1933 she arrived at Rosyth for scrapping.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1305-6] [Canadian Pacific by George Musk]

MOUNT TEMPLE 1901
8,790 gross tons, length 485ft x beam 59ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. Built by Sir W.G.Armstrong, Whitworth & Co, Walker-on-Tyne (engines by Wallsend Slipway Co), she was launched for Elder Dempster's Beaver Line on 18th Jun.1901. Her maiden voyage started on 19th Sep.1901 when she left the Tyne for New Orleans and 4th Nov.1901 she sailed from New Orleans on the first of two voyages as a Boer War transport, probably with horses or mules. She subsequently sailed between the UK and New Orleans until 1903 when she passed to Canadian Pacific. Fitted with accommodation for 14-2nd and 1,250-3rd class passengers, she sailed on her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage on 17th May 1903. She made six round voyages on this service and on 27th Mar.1904 commenced her first London - Antwerp - St John NB sailing. On 1st Dec.1907 she stranded on West Ironbound Island, Nova Scotia and 600 passengers and crew were rescued by breeches buoy. Refloated on 16th Apr.1908 and on 6th Dec.1916 she was captured and sunk by the German raider MOEWE while 620 miles from Fastnet. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1307]

MUNCHEN / GREGORY MORCH 1889  
The MUNCHEN was built in 1889 by the Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 4,536 gross ton ship, length 390.5ft x beam 46.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 38-1st, 20-2nd and 1,763-3rd class passengers. Launched on January 23rd 1889, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Montevideo and Buenos Aires on March 11th 1889. On June 5th 1889 she commenced her first Bremen - Baltimore voyage and on September 25th 1890 started her first Bremen - New York - Baltimore crossing. She commenced her sixth and last Bremen - South America voyage on November 10th 1892 and her nineteenth and last North Atlantic crossing on March 24th 1900 when she sailed from Bremen for Baltimore and New York. On may 23rd 1900 she started a single round voyage from Bremen to the Suez Canal and Australia and on February 3rd 1902 went aground on Yap Caroline Islands, was refloated and was sold to the Northern SS Co. of Russia, who renamed her GREGORY MORCH. She made two round voyages from Odessa to Piraeus and New York starting October 27th 1906 and January 18th 1907 and was scrapped in 1910. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.553-4]

MUNCHEN / GENERAL VON STEUBEN / STEUBEN 1922
This was the MUNCHEN. 13,325 gross tons, length 526.9ft x beam 65ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 171-1st, 350-2nd and 558-3rd class passengers. Built by Vulcan Werke, Stettin, she was launched for North German Lloyd of Bremen on 25th Nov.1922. Her maiden voyage started on 21st Jun.1923 when she sailed from Bremen for New York, and her last voyage on this service started on 30th Jan.1930. On 11th Feb.1930 she was gutted by fire at New York, sank in the Hudson River, was refloated, patched up at Brooklyn and sailed to Bremen in ballast. Rebuilt at Bremen to 14,690 gross tons with accommodation for 214-cabin, 358-tourist and 221-3rd class passengers, converted from coal to oil fuel and renamed GENERAL VON STEUBEN.  She resumed Bremen - Southampton - New York sailings on 5th Feb.1931 and started her last voyage on this route on 16th Nov.1934. Subsequently used as a cruise ship, in 1938 she was renamed STEUBEN. In 1939 she became a German Navy accommodation ship at Kiel and in Aug.1944 started use as a transport for the wounded. On 9th Feb.1945 she left Pillau for Kiel with 2,500 wounded, 2,000 refugees and 450 crew. Shortly before midnight on 10th Feb, she was torpedoed by the Soviet submarine S.13 off Stolpmunde and sank with the loss of approx. 3,000 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.571] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol2,p.210]

MUNDRA 1920
7275 gross tons, length 450.2ft x beam 58.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 12 passengers. Built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, she was completed for British India Steam Navigation Co in Sep.1920. Used on the UK -East Africa - India service, she was shelled, torpedoed and sunk by the Japanese submarine I-18 off St.Lucia Bay, Natal on 6th Jul.1942 with the loss of 94 lives, including survivors of other torpedoed ships.[Merchant Fleets, vol.11 by Duncan Haws] 

M Descriptions MI to MU | MAA to ME

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: September 25, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli