FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - N

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

NAIRNSHIRE / DUKE OF NORFOLK 1889
3,819 gross tons, built 1889 by Hawthorn Leslie & Co., Newcastle as the NAIRNSHIRE for Turnbull, Martin & Co., Glasgow. In 1898 she was sold to the Ducal Line (J. B. Westray & Co.), Glasgow and renamed DUKE OF NORFOLK. 27th Jul. 1898 started first voyage London via Suez to Brisbane. Last voyage 10th Sep. 1902. The company then went into liquidation and the remaining ships were transferred to Gray, Dawes & Co. In 1905 the Duke of Norfolk was sold to C. Andersen, Hamburg and renamed MARCELLUS. 1908 sold to Sweden renamed JOHANNA, 1914 sold to Greece renamed PERICLES. On 24th May 1914 she sank 90 miles off Ushant after striking submerged wreckage on voyage Swansea - Alexandria with coal.

NAIRNSHIRE / BRODHOLME / GOTHICSTAR / GOTHIC STAR 1899
5,673 gross tons. length 420ft x beam 54.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built 1899 by Clydebank Eng. & Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow for the Elderslie SS Co. 1910 transferred to Scottish Shire Line Ltd. 1915 acquired by Blue Star Line renamed BRODHOLME. 10th Jun.1918 torpedoed in the Mediterranean by UC.53 but reached port and repaired. 1920 Union Cold Storage Co. became owners with Blue Star Line as managers, renamed GOTHICSTAR. 1929 renamed GOTHIC STAR (two words), 1938 scrapped at Savona.

NANTES 1882
The NANTES was a 3,441 gross ton ship, built by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediterranee, La Seyne in 1882. Her dimensions were - length 379.2ft x beam 39.7ft, one funnel, four masts, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 15/8/1882 for Compagnie Commerciale de Transports a Vapeur Francais, she sailed on her maiden voyage on 31/10/1882 when she left Marseilles for Catania, Messina, Palermo, Naples, Valencia, Malaga, New York (arr.9/12/1882) and New Orleans. Subsequently she sailed between Havre and New Orleans direct. On 11/9/1891 she was wrecked near Coruna, Spain. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1139]

NAPOLEON III / VILLE DU HAVRE 1865
The NAPOLEON III was built by Thames Ironworks, London (engines by Ravenshill & Salked, London) in 1865 for Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). She was a 3,376 gross ton ship, length 365.9ft x beam 45.9ft, straight stem, two funnels, two masts, iron construction, paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 170-1st, 100-2nd and 50-3rd class passengers. Launched on 11/2/1865, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Havre for Brest and New York on 26/4/1866. She made five round voyages on this service, the last starting on 30/8/1868 and then sailed from Havre on 16/9/1871 to Tyneside; where she was lengthened to 421.7ft by A.Leslie & Co, Hebburn-on-Tyne. Her tonnage was increased to 3,950 tons, she was fitted with compound engines and rebuilt with single screw propulsion, a third mast fitted and she was renamed VILLE DU HAVRE. On 29/3/1873 she resumed Havre - Brest - New York sailings, but on 22/11/1873 she was sunk in collision with the British ship LOCH EARN in the English Channel, with the loss of 226 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.652]

NAPOLI 1921 see SAN GIORGIO 1907

NARKUNDA 1920
16,118 gross tons, length 581ft x beam 69.5ft (177.22m x 21.16m), three funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 426-1st and 247-2nd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Ltd, Belfast, she entered service for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co. (P & O Line) on 30th Mar.1920. She was P & O Line's largest ship. Used on the UK - Mediterranean - Suez - Australia service until 1931 when she transferred to the Far East route. 1940 requisitioned as a troopship. 14th Nov.1942 bombed and sunk during the North Africa landings off Bougie, Algeria after offloading troops, with the loss of 31 lives.[Merchant Fleets, vol.1 by Duncan Haws]

NARRUNG / MEXICO CITY 1896
5078 gross tons, 400ft x 47.7ft, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 50-1st class passengers. Built 1896 by Willian Doxford, Sunderland for Lund's Blue Anchor Line's service to Australia via the Cape. In 1902 she came across Howard Smith & Co's BOVERIC which had been drifting for 37 days after losing her propeller and towed her to Fremantle. After the loss of Lund's ill fated WARATAH, the company sold their remaining passenger ships to P&O and went into liquidation. On 16th April 1913 NARRUNG was sold by P&O to Mexico SS Co., Hong Kong (Eng Hok Fong SS Co., managers) and renamed MEXICO CITY. 5th Feb.1917 torpedoed and sunk off Holyhead, Anglesey with the loss of 29 lives. [Merchant Fleets vol.1 by Duncan Haws]

NATUNA / BAHIENSE / IRENE 1898
764 gross tons, length 64.17m x beam 9.78m, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 9 knots, accommodation for 6-1st and 229-deck passengers. Built by Ramage & Ferguson, Leith and launched for the East Asiatic Co, Denmark in May 1898. Purchased by North German Lloyd on 20th Dec.1900 as a feeder ship from the Imperial Mail Line. Chartered to a Bremen group on 28th Feb.1907 to explore the phosphate deposits on Angaur, Palau Islands (a German colony) which led to the formation of Deutsche Sudsee Phosphat AG. 14th Oct.1912 sold to Sarawak & Singapore S.S.Co, Kuching. 1916 to Hansen Bros, London. 1917 Cleeves Western Valleys Anthracite Collieries, Swansea. 1918 Thordis Shipping Co, Swansea. Jan.1924 P.F.Giacomazzi, Buenos Aires renamed BAHIENSE. 1930 Cia de Transportes Maritimos S.A (Coppola & Zuanich), Buenos Aires. 1936 F.M.Borsig, manager. 1947 no managers listed. 1958 sold or was to be sold and renamed IRENE but 29th Sep.1958 stranded before delivery 160 miles north of Rio Grande, Brazil - total loss. [Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, vol.1 by Edwin Drechsel]

NEA HELLAS / TUSCANIA / NEW YORK 1921
This was the "Nea Hellas" which was built in 1919-21 as the third "Tuscania" for the Anchor Line of Glasgow. Built by Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow, she was a 16,991 gross ton ship, length overall 578.4ft x beam 70.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 267-1st, 377-2nd and 1,818-3rd class passengers. Launched on 4/10/1921, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Moville and New York on 16/9/1922. Between 1922-25 she completed 5 New York - Mediterranean voyages and in May 1926 made her last Glasgow - New York - Plymouth - Havre - London voyage. She was then chartered to Cunard Line and commenced London - Havre - Southampton - New York crossings on 3/6/1926 with cabin and tourist class passengers. In December 1926 she was altered to cabin and 3rd class and in February 1927 was refitted to carry 206-cabin, 439-tourist and 485-3rd class. On 19/9/1930 she sailed on her last London - Havre - Southampton - New York voyage and in October of that year was laid up at Glasgow. In February 1931 she commenced her first Glasgow - Liverpool - Bombay voyage and between 1931-37 made 13 autumn/winter voyages on this service. In May 1931 she made one Southampton - New York round voyage for Cunard and on 14/8/1931 resumed Glasgow - Moville - New York summer voyages and in September 1938 made her last voyage on this service. Sold to the Greek Line on 19/4/1939, she was renamed "Nea Hellas" and refitted to carry 200-cabin, 400-tourist and 500-3rd class passengers. On 19/5/1939 she started the first of nine round voyages between Piraeus and New York, the last commencing 11/5/1940. On 8/6/1940 she transferred to the Lisbon - New York service and started the last of five round voyages on 20/10/1940. Between 1941 and 1946 she was used as a British war transport and in 1947 was reconditioned in the UK and Genoa to accommodate 300-1st, 310-cabin and 850-tourist passengers. She started her first peacetime voyage between Genoa, Naples, Lisbon and New York on 25/7/1947 and in September 1947 commenced her first voyage from Piraeus to Naples, Lisbon and New York. On 27/1/1951 she started sailings between Piraeus, Naples, Malta and New York and in January 1955 was refitted to carry 80-1st and 1,300-tourist class passengers. On 5/3/1955 she started her last voyage between Piraeus, Malta, Messina, Naples, Halifax and New York (arr.21/3/1955). Renamed "New York" on 24/3/1955, and commenced her first crossing from New York to Boston, Cobh, Cherbourg, Southampton, Bremen, Southampton, Cherbourg, Cobh, Halifax and New York. On 6/9/1959 she started her last voyage from Bremen to Havre, Southampton, Cobh, New York and Piraeus and on 13/10/1959 commenced her last Piraeus - Palermo - Naples - Genoa - Quebec - Genoa - Naples - Messina - Piraeus voyage. Laid up at Piraeus on 14/11/1959 she was scrapped at Onimichi, Japan in 1961. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.469]

NEBRASKA / VICTORIA 1867
3,985 gross tons, length 367.5ft x beam 42.3ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 72-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne, she was launched for the Guion Line in April 1867. Her maiden voyage started on 8th Jun.1867 when she left Liverpool for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. Her last voyage on this service started on 4th Jul.1872 and she was then laid up. In 1875 she was fitted with compound engines and was sold to British owners the following year and renamed VICTORIA. Chartered to the Warren Line for their Liverpool - Boston service, she was eventually scrapped in 1887. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.708]

NECKAR 1873
The NECKAR was a 3,120 gross ton ship, length 350ft x beam 40ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 13 knots, There was accommodation for 144-1st, 68-2nd and 502-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched for North German Lloyd, Bremen on 10th Nov.1873. Her maiden voyage started on 18th Apr.1874 when she left Bremen for Southampton and New York, and she started her last voyage on this service on 3rd Jan.1886. She was then rebuilt at Bremerhaven with accommodation for 50-1st, 21-2nd and 574-3rd class passengers. On 28th Jul.1886 she commenced her first Bremen - Suez - Far East voyage and on 14th Feb.1894 started her first Naples - New York sailing. Her ninth and last Naples - New York voyage started on 23rd Mar.1895 and she began the first of two Bremen - New York direct sailings on 15th Jun.1895. In 1896 she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.550]

NECKAR / ANTIGONE / POTOMAC 1900
The NECKAR was built by J.C.Tecklenborg, Geestemunde in 1900 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. This was a 9,835 gross ton ship, length 499.3ft x beam 58.1ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation was provided for 148-1st, 116-2nd and 2,500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 8/12/1900, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to New York on 4/5/1901. On 8/10/1901 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen via Suez to Australia, but after one round voyage, she transferred on 12/5/1902 to the Naples - New York service. On 19/6/1902 she started her first Bremen - Baltimore sailing and susequently ran between Bremen - New York &/or Baltimore, or Mediterranean - New York. On 4/11/1905 she sailed from New York to the Mediterranean with 1st, 2nd and 3rd class passengers, and subsequently carried 369-2nd, 217-3rd and 2,865-4th class. On 16/5/1912 she commenced her first Bremen - Philadelphia - Baltimore voyage, and her last Bremen - Baltimore run commenced on 2/7/1914 (arr 14/7/1914) She then took refuge in Baltimore until she was seized by the US authorities in April 1917. She was renamed ANTIGONE and used by the US government until 20/3/1921 when she sailed from New York on a single round voyage to Bremen and Danzig, under charter to US Mail SS Co. carrying 200-cabin class and 550-3rd class passengers. On 5/5/1921 she was renamed POTOMAC and started a similar voyage, and on 10/8/1921 started her third and last one way voyage on this service. She sailed from Bremen for New York on 3/9/1921 for United States Lines and on 1/3/1922 commenced her fifth and final voyage on this route. In 1928 she was scrapped in Holland. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.564]

NEDERLAND 1873
The NEDERLAND was a 2,839 gross ton ship, built in 1873 by Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne for the Red Star Line of Antwerp. Her details were - length 329.2ft x beam 38.6ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 70-1st and 800-3rd class. Launched on 23rd June 1873, she sailed from Antwerp in Nov.1873 on her maiden voyage to Philadelphia. On 31st May 1877 she commenced her first Antwerp - New York voyage and between 1877 - 1896 sailed between Antwerp and New York or Philadelphia. From about 1895 she was converted to 3rd class only and on 26th Nov.1896 started her last Antwerp - New York sailing. She subsequently sailed Antwerp - Philadelphia except for her last voyage from Antwerp to New York, starting 11th Apr.1905. In May 1906 she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.850]

NELLY / MORMACMAIL / USS LONG ISLAND / SEVEN SEAS 1940
The NELLY was an 11,086 gross ton ship, length 492ft x beam 69.6ft, built by the Sun Shipbuilding Co, Chester, Pennsylvania as the MORMACMAIL for Moore McCormack Lines, New York. She had a speed of 17 knots and accommodation for 1,300-single class passengers. Launched on 11th Jan.1940, she was transferred to the US Navy before completion, refitted as an auxiliary aircraft carrier and commissioned as the USS LONG ISLAND. Released from service in Mar.1946, she was sold to be scrapped, but was laid up and purchased in Mar.1948 by the Caribbean Land & Shipping Corp, rebuilt as a passenger ship and renamed NELLY. She entered the Bremen - Melbourne service in 1949 and continued on this run until 1953, except for the occasional Canada voyage. Refitted for the North Atlantic, she was renamed SEVEN SEAS in 1953 and from 1955 was used for Bremen - Montreal and Bremen - New York sailings. After a serious engine room fire at sea in the Atlantic in July 1965, she was towed to St.John's NF, she was repaired and the following year was sold to become a students' hostel at Rotterdam. In 1977 she was scrapped in Belgium.[Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.4 by Arnold Kludas, ISBN 0-85059-253-4 contains 2 photos of the ship]

NEMESIS / PERUSIA 1857
The NEMESIS was a 2,717 gross ton ship, length 352.6ft x beam 41.5ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. She was laid down by Tod & McGregor, Glasgow as the DELHI, but was launched in 1857 as the NEMESIS for Peninsular & Oriental Line. In 1869 she was sold to Peter Denny and lengthened from 312 ft and her tonnage increased from 2,018 tons. Chartered to Cunard Line, she commenced sailings between Liverpool, Queenstown and New York on 30th Oct.1869. She started her sixth and last voyage on this service on 17th May 1870, and on 11th Apr.1871 commenced sailings between Liverpool, Queenstown and New York under charter to the Inman Line. She started the last of three round voyages on this route on 27th Jun.1871, and in 1872 was fitted with compound engines by Rankin & Blackmore, Greenock. On 2nd May 1872 she was chartered by North German Lloyd of Bremen and started Bremen - Southampton - New York sailings, the fourth and last voyage starting on 18th Sep.1872. On 15th Nov.1876 she started the first of two round voyages between London, Melbourne and Sydney, the second in July 1877 under charter to the Colonial Line.. In 1879 she became the Belgian PERUSIA and in 1880 reverted to her previous name of NEMESIS. She went to Adamson & Rowlandson in 1881 was chartered to Thames & Mersey Line for a single round voyage from London via the Cape to Melbourne and Sydney. On 10th May 1882 she started her first Amsterdam - New York voyage under charter to Royal Netherlands Steamship Co. and made three round voyages on this service, the last one starting on 17th Aug.1882. She was scrapped in 1891. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.150] [North Star to Southern Cross by John Maber]

NEPTUNIA / JOHAN DE WITT 1919
10,519 gross tons, length o'all 523ft x beam 59.2ft, one funnel, one mast, twin screw, speed 16 knots. Built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Maatschappij, Amsterdam and launched on 2nd May 1919 for the Netherlands Steamship Co as the JOHAN DE WITT with two funnels and two masts and accommodation for 197-1st, 120-2nd and 36-3rd class passengers. Her maiden voyage started 27th Jul.1920 when she left Amsterdam for Southampton, Suez and the Dutch East Indies. Sold to Compania Maritima del Este, Panama on 15th Dec.1948, she was rebuilt and renamed NEPTUNIA with accommodation for 251-1st and 563-tourist class passengers. In May 1949 she started her first voyage from Genoa to Lisbon, New York, Naples, Piraeus and Haifa. Her last sailing for these owners commenced 9th Apr.1951 from New York to Boston, Cherbourg, Southampton and Bremen. Sold to the Neptunia Shipping Co, Panama in 1954 she sailed between Bremen and New York or Quebec/Montreal with intermediate calls. On 2nd Nov.1957 she struck Daunts Rock at Cobh and was beached in sinking condition. Refloated in March 1958, she was towed to Holland where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1655-6] [The Centenary of Stoomvart Maatschappij Nederland by G.J.de Boer]

NERO / STADION 1905
Built 1868 for Thos Wilson & Sons, Hull as the NERO. July 1905 sold to George S. Coram, London for transfer to Madame Athina E. Pabrittiov and Arvantidi fils who re-sold the ship to Nicolas P. Cosmetto, Constantinople. He renamed the ship STADION and registered her at Piraeus, Greece. Sep.1910 dismantled for use as a hulk at Piraeus.

NESTOR 1912
14,501 gross tons, length 563.2ft x beam 68.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, 13.5 knots, accommodation for 350-1st class passengers. Built by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast, she was launched on 7th Dec.1912 for the Ocean SS Co. Maiden voyage started 19th May 1913 from Liverpool to Glasgow, Capetown, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney. 1915-1918 troopship, 1920 resumed Glasgow - Liverpool - Brisbane service, 1926 passengers reduced to 250, 1935 passengers reduced to 175, 1936 towed the disabled Australian United SS Co ship MUNGANA to Adelaide. 1950 scrapped at Faslane.

NESTORIAN 1866
This was a 2,466 gross ton ship built by Barclay & Curle, Glasgow in 1866 for the Allan Line of Liverpool. Her details were - length 317.7ft x beam 38.5ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 115-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Laid down as the ACADIAN she was launched on 11th Sept. 1866 as the NESTORIAN and sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Portland on 31st Jan. 1867. On 24th Oct. 1871 she commenced her last Liverpool - Halifax - Montreal sailing and on 2nd Jan. 1872 commenced her first voyage Liverpool - Halifax - Norfolk - Baltimore. She was laid up from 1874-78 and in 1878 was rebuilt to 2,689 tons and compound engines fitted by Laird Bros, Birkenhead. She commenced sailing from Glasgow - South America on 17th Oct. 1878 for two round voyages and on 15th May 1879 started sailing between Glasgow, Quebec and Montreal. She commenced her first voyage Glasgow - Boston on 30th Nov. 1880, and Glasgow - Philadelphia on 17th Sept. 1884. On 10th June 1885 commenced her first voyage London - Quebec - Montreal and on 4th June 1889 resumed the Glasgow - Boston service. Subsequently sailed Glasgow to Boston or Philadelphia until 5th Feb. 1897 when she commenced her final Glasgow - Boston voyage and was scrapped later the same year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.311]

NEUSTRIA 1883
The NEUSTRIA was a 2,926 gross ton ship, built in 1883 by Claparede & Cie, Rouen for the Fabre Line of Marseilles. Her details were - length 328.4ft x beam 40ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 18-1st and 1,100-3rd class. Launched on 19/8/1883, she sailed from Marseilles on her maiden voyage to Tarragona, Malaga, Cadiz and New York on 21/9/1884. In 1898 she was chartered to repatriate Spanish troops from Cuba. She sailed from New York for Marseilles on 27/10/1908 and went missing. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1133]

NEVADA / HAMILTON 1868
The NEVADA was a 3,121 gross ton ship, built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne for the Guion Line of Liverpool. Her details were - length 345.6ft x beam 43.4ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Launched on 17/10/1868, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on 2/2/1869. In 1881 she was fitted with compound engines by G. Forrester & Co, Liverpool and her tonnage increased to 3,617. She collided with and sank the Wilson Liner ROMANO in the North Atlantic on 3/5/1884, and commenced her last Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyage on 13/5/1893. In 1894 she went to the Dominion Line who renamed her HAMILTON. She commenced sailings from Avonmouth to Quebec and Montreal on 28/4/1894 and started her fifth and last round voyage on this service on 22/9/1894. In 1896 she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.709]

NEVASA 1912
9071 gross tons, length 480.5ft x beam 58.1ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 128-1st and 98-2nd class pasengers. Launched 12th Dec.1912 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow for British India Steam Navigation Co., she started her maiden voyage from London to East Africa and Calcutta on 22nd Mar.1913. In Aug.1914 she was taken over and converted to a troopship, and from Jan.1915 to 1918 was fitted as a 660 bed hospital ship. Used in the East Africa, Persian Gulf, Salonika and Mesopotamia campaigns. Later in 1918 she was used as a North Atlantic troopship, ferrrying US troops and later repatriating Allied forces. In late 1919 she resumed commercial service on the UK - East Africa and UK - Calcutta services. 1925 rebuilt as a permanent troopship with capacity for 1,000 men. In 1935-37 she carried out a series of off-season educational cruises for the School Journey's Association, London and in 1937 attended the Spithead Coronation Naval Review. Between 1939 and 1945 she trooped steadily and was used between the UK, India, Basra, Madagascar and for the Normandy Landings. She resumed commercial service in 1946 but was basically a troopship..Jan.1948 laid up in the River Blackwater and then scrapped at Bo'ness. Photo in "Sea Safari" by Peter C. Kohler, ISBN 1-872006-05-1

NEVASA 1956
20,527 gross tons, length 609ft x beam 78.1ft, twin screw, service speed 17 knots. Accommodation for 220-1st class, 100-2nd, 180-3rd, 1,000 troops. Crew 409. Built by Barclay, Curle & Co, London and launched for the British India Steam Navigation Co on 30th Nov.1955. Delivered on 12th Jul.1956 as a troop transport for service between the UK and her overseas possessions. The Ministry of Transport bore a share of the cost. Laid up in the River Fal in Oct.1962, the MOT terminated the 15 year charter agreement in 1963 and handed the ship back to BISNCo to use as they wished. Rebuilt in 1964/5 to 20,746 gross tons with accommodation for 307 cabin passengers and 783 scolars in dormitories, she was used as an educational cruise ship. Transferred to P&O Line in 1972 and scrapped at Taiwan in 1975.

NEW AUSTRALIA 1947 see MONARCH OF BERMUDA 1931

NEW ENGLAND / ROMANIC / SCANDINAVIAN 1898
The NEW ENGLAND was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1898 for the Dominion Line. She was an 11,394 gross ton vessel, length 550.3ft x beam 59.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 200-1st, 200-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 7th April 1898 she started her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Boston on 30th June 1898. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 17th Sept. 1903 and then went to the White Star Line who renamed her ROMANIC. She sailed from Liverpool to Boston on 19th Nov. 1903 and then to Naples, Genoa and Glasgow. In January 1912 she went to the Allan Line was renamed SCANDINAVIAN and modified to carry 400-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. On 23rd March 1912 she commenced her first sailing from Glasgow to Halifax and Boston and on 4th May 1912 her first voyage from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal, returning with part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. She then resumed the Glasgow - Canada service. In 1917 she went to Canadian Pacific Ocean Services and between 1918 and 1920 ran between Liverpool and New York and Liverpool and St.John.NB. On 18th May 1920 she commenced a service from Antwerp to Southampton, Quebec and Montreal, starting her last voyage on 24th May 1922. She was then laid up at Gareloch and in 1923 was scrapped in Germany. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.2, p.762]

NEWFOUNDLAND / GEORGE ANSON 1947
7,437 gross tons, length 423.5ft x beam 61.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 75-1st and 80-tourist class passengers. Crew 80. Launched 22nd May 1947 by Vickers-Armstrong, Newcastle as the NEWFOUNDLAND for Furness Withy & Co. and operated by Furness-Warren Lines Ltd, Liverpool on their Liverpool - St. John's NF - Halifax - Boston service. 11th Nov.1961 last voyage as a passenger ship. Jan.1962 passenger accommodation reduced to 12 due to declining numbers carried, and sold to Dominion Navigation Co, Melbourne (H. C. Sleigh Ltd). Refitted at the builder's Elderslie Yard, her bridge deck was extended to the foremast and aft to the stern house. Renamed GEORGE ANSON, she was then used on the Australia - Hong Kong - China - Japan service. For a while she wore the red and black topped funnel of the Indo-China S.N.Co. with a green hull and was registered in the Bahamas. Feb.1971 arrived at Kaohsiung, Taiwan for scrapping [Merchant Fleets, vol.37 by Duncan Haws]

NEW GUINEA 1884
The NEW GUINEA was built by Doxford, Sunderland in 1884 for McIlwraith, McEacharn & Co.of Melbourne. She was a 2,674 gross ton, iron built steamer, single screw with a speed of 11 knots. On 16/6/1885 she commenced her first sailing from London to Batavia and Brisbane. She started her last voyage on this service on 13/5/1889 and in 1911 was wrecked on Green Cape, NSW. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

NEW ROCHELLE / HAMBURG / RED CROSS / POWHATAN / HUDSON / PRESIDENT FILLMORE 1899
Built by A.G. Vulcan, Stettin in 1899 and planned as the BAVARIA, this was a 10,532 gross ton ship, length 499.3ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 172-1st, 106-2nd and 1,780-3rd class. Launched on 25th Nov.1899 as the HAMBURG for the Hamburg America Line's Far East service, she started her maiden voyage on 12th Mar.1900 when she left Hamburg for the Far East via Suez. On 2nd Jun.1904 she commenced her first Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York sailing and on 13th Apr.1905 started her first Naples - New York sailing. Her last Genoa - Naples - New York crossing started on 18th Jul.1914 and in August 1914, on the outbreak of the Great War, she was interned at New York. Chartered to the International Red Cross, she was renamed RED CROSS and on 13th Sep.1914 started a single round voyage between New York, Rotterdam and New York to repatriate US citizens, then reverted to her previous name of HAMBURG. In April 1917, on the entry of the USA into the war, she was seized by US Authorities, renamed POWHATAN and used as a hospital ship and later by the US Army Transport Corps. In 1920 she was chartered to the Baltic SS Corp. of America, refitted to carry 240-cabin and 1,500-3rd class passengers, and renamed NEW ROCHELLE. She started New York - Danzig sailings on 5th Aug.1920 and commenced her third and last New York - Havre - Danzig - Havre - New York voyage on 20th Nov.1920. In 1921 she came under the ownership of US Mail SS Co, was altered to carry 350-cabin and 900-3rd class passengers and started New York - Bremen - Danzig sailings on 12th Feb.1921. Renamed HUDSON in May 1921,she continued the New York - Bremen - Danzig service. Later the same year she went to United States Line and sailed New York - Bremen. In 1922 she was renamed PRESIDENT FILLMORE and continued on the same service until starting her final Bremen - New York crossing on  20th Nov.1923. In 1924 she went to the Dollar Line, San Francisco fot their round-the-world service and in 1928 she was scrapped in the USA. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.410] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America, Adler and Carr Lines] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1]

NEW YORK 1858
The NEW YORK of was built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1858 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd] and was a sister ship to the BREMEN. She was a 2,674 gross ton vessel, length 320ft x beam 39ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (barque rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 60-1st, 110-2nd and 400-3rd class passengers.  Launched on 31st Mar.1858, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to New York on 14th Aug.1858. She made several sailings to Havana and New Orleans as well as the North Atlantic service, but commenced her final voyage for the company on 20th Dec.1873 when she sailed from Bremen for Southampton and New York. In 1874 she was sold to Edward Bates of Liverpool who removed the engines and used her as a sailing ship. On 20th Apr.1891 she was wrecked near Staten Island, NY. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.544]

NEW YORK (2) / CITY OF NEW YORK / HARVARD PLATTSBURG 1888
The "New York" was built by J & G.Thomson, Glasgow in 1888 for the Inman line as the "City of New York". She was a 10,499 gross ton vessel with a clipper stem, length 527.6ft x beam 63.2ft, three funnels, three masts, twin screw and a speed of 20 knots. There was accommodation for 540-1st, 200-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 15/3/1888, she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on 1/8/1888. In August 1892 she made a record crossing between Sandy Hook and Queenstown and on 8/2/1893 commenced her last Liverpool - New York voyage. On 22/2/1893 she went to the American Line and was put under the US flag. She was then renamed "New York" and her accommodation altered to carry 290-1st, 250-2nd and 725-3rd class passengers. On 25/2/1893 she sailed from New York on her first voyage to Southampton and commenced her last voyage on this service on 16/4/1898. She then became the US Armed Cruiser "Harvard" until 11/1/1899 when she resumed the New York - Southampton service as the "New York". On 14/1/1899 her starboard engine broke down and was repaired at Southampton and she resumed service from Southampton - New York on 25/3/1899. On 20/4/1901 she left Southampton for her last voyage to Cherbourg and New York before being rebuilt with new triple expansion engines, number of funnels reduced to two, and her size increased to 10,798 tons. On 15/4/1903 she resumed the New York - Cherbourg - Southampton service and in 1913, her first class passenger accommodation was downgraded to second class. Commenced her last voyage Southampton - Cherbourg - New York on 1/8/1914 and was transferred to the New York - Liverpool run on 14/8/1914. In April 1918 she made her last run from Liverpool to New York and then became the US Transport "Plattsburg". On 19/2/1920 she resumed the New York - Plymouth - Southampton service as the "New York" and her masts were reduced to two. On 2/11/1920 she made her last run from Southampton to Cherbourg and New York and in 1921 was sold to the Polish Navigation Co. who retained her name and used her for one round voyage New York - Antwerp - Danzig - Southampton - Cherbourg - Brest - New York. She was then seized for debt and sold. In 1922 she went to the Irish American Line and later the same year to the United Transatlantic Line. On 10/6/1922 she left New York for the last time for the American Black Sea Line on a voyage to Naples and Constantinople where she was sold at auction by order of the US government, and was scrapped at Genoa in 1923. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.244]

NIAGARA / CORSE 1908
Built in 1908 by Ateliers & Chantiers de La Noire, St Nazaire as the CORSE for Chargeurs Reunis. She was a 8,481 gross ton ship, length 485.2ft x beam 56.1ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 182-2nd and 960-3rd class. Launched on 16th May 1908, she was purchased by Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line), Le Havre in 1910 and renamed NIAGARA. Her first voyage for these owners started on 26th Mar.1910 when she left Le Havre for New York and her last sailing on this route commenced 4th Apr.1912. On 11th May 1912 she started the first of three Havre - Quebec - Montreal sailings and then resumed Havre - New York voyages. On 8th May 1915 she switched to Bordeaux - New York sailings and in 1919 was refitted to carry cabin and 3rd class passengers. Her last Bordeaux - New York sailing started 31st Jul.1920 and she resumed the Havre - New York route on 9th Sep.1920. On 29th Apr.1921 she commenced the first of three Hamburg - New York voyages and on 7th May 1922 resumed Bordeaux - New York. In Dec.1922 she made her first Havre - Houston voyage and on 9th Jun.1929 commenced a single round voyage between Havre, New York, Havana, Houston and Havre. Her final Havre - New York voyage started on 17th Mar.1930 and she was scrapped the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.660]

NIAGARA 1912
The NIAGARA was a 13,415 gross ton ship, length 165.5m x beam 20.2m, two funnels, two masts, triple screw, speed 17 knots. Accommodation for 290-1st, 223-2nd, and 191-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co, Glasgow, she was launched for the Union SS Co of New Zealand  on 17th Aug.1912. Her delivery voyage to Sydney started 12th Mar.1913 and on 5th May 1913 she commenced Sydney - Vancouver voyages via Auckland and Honolulu. Transferred to the Canadian Australasian Line, London (a company formed by Union SS Co and Canadian Pacific) in 1932. On 19th Jun.1940 while on voyage Auckland to Vancouver, and off Bream Head, Whangerei, she struck a mine laid by the German auxiliary cruiser ORION and sank in position 35.53S 174.54E. Passengers and crew were picked up by the British coaster KAPITI and the Huddart Parker linerWANGANELLA. Ten tons of gold cargo were later salvaged from a depth of 500ft. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1, ISBN 0-85059-174-0 contains photo] [Union Fleet by I.J.Farquhar] [North Star to Southern Cross by John Maber]

NIEMAN 1865
1,585 gross tons, length 89.31m x beam 32m, iron hull, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 75 passengers. Built 1865 by La Ciotat for Messageries Maritimes, she commenced service on Black Sea routes. In 1866 she transferred to Calcutta - Madras - Trincomalee - Colombo service. 1887 re-engined to give a speed of 13.5 knots. 1889 lengthened to 97.38m and refitted to give accommodation for 24-1st and 44-2nd class passengers. On 27th Jan.1893 her propeller shaft broke 20 miles south of Trincomalee. The propeller and part of the shaft came away and the ship filled with water and sank.

NIENBURG / RIO JURAMENTO 1922
4,154 gross tons, length 360.7ft x beam 51.0ft, single screw, speed 10 knots. Built 1922 by Vulcan Werke A.G., Stettin as the NIENBURG for North German Lloyd. 1938 lengthened to 383.3ft, 4,318 tons, re-engined to give a speed of 15 knots. 1940 seized by Argentina and renamed BELGRANO under the ownership of Cia. Argentina de Nav. Lloyd Argentino, Buenos Aires. 1943 renamed RIO JURAMENTO, owned by Flota Mercante del Estado, B.A. 1961 owned by Empresas Lineas Maritimas Argentinas, B.A. 1963 sold to Fimare S.A., Buenos Aires renamed GIUSEPPE. 1965 scrapped at Buenos Aires. [Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1922 by W. A. Schell]

NIEUW AMSTERDAM (1) 1905
The Holland-America Line NIEUW AMSTERDAM (1) was built in 1905 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast (order #366), and launched on 28 September 1905. 16,967 tons; 187,4 x 20,9 meters (length x breadth); 1 funnel, 4 masts; twin-screw propulsion (quadruple-expansion engines), service speed 16 knots; accommodation for 440 passengers in 1st class, 246 in 2nd class, and 2,200 in steerage. The NIEUW AMSTERDAM was the last major ocean liner to be fitted with auxiliary sails. 7 April 1906, maiden voyage, Rotterdam-New York. 1908, glass-enclosed upper promenade deck. November/December 1909, refitted by Harland & Wolff: bridge deck extended forwards to enlarge 1st class dining saloon; 17,149 tons; accommodation for 443 passengers in 1st class, 379 in 2nd class, and 2,050 in steerage. 12 December 1918, first voyage after Armistice, Rotterdam-Havre-Brest-New York. May 1926, passenger accommodation altered to 1st, 2nd, tourist, and 3rd class. February 1928, passenger accommodation altered to 1st, tourist, and 3rd class. 2 October 1931, last voyage, Rotterdam-New York. 26 February 1932, sailed Rotterdam-Cape of Good Hope-Osaka; scrapped [Arnold Kludas, Die grossen Passagierschiffe der Welt; eine Dokumentation, Bd. 1: 1858-1912 (2nd ed.; Oldenburg/Hamburg: Gerhard Stalling, c1972), pp. 124-125 (photographs); Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 3 (1979), pp. 893 (photograph) and 913]. - [E-mail from Michael Palmer - 19 April 1998]

NIEUW AMSTERDAM (2) 1936
Built in 1936 by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam for the Holland America Line, she was a 36,287 gross ton ship, length overall 758.5ft x beam 88.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 21 knots. There was accommodation for 556-cabin, 455-tourist and 209-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10/4/1937 she left Rotterdam on her maiden voyage to Boulogne, Southampton and New York on 10/5/1938. On 22/9/1939 she commenced her last Rotterdam - New York voyage and between October 1939 and May 1940 was used as a cruise ship from New York. Arriving at New York on 14/5/1940, she sailed to Halifax in September and was converted to a troopship. On 10/4/1946 she returned to Rotterdam after steaming 530,452 miles on war service and between 1946-7 was reconditioned to carry 552-1st, 426-cabin and 209-tourist class passengers. She resumed Rotterdam - Havre - Southampton - New York sailings on 29/10/1947 and was refitted in 1961 to accommodate 574-1st, and 583 tourist class and with a tonnage of 36,982. On 18/1/1962 she resumed Rotterdam - New York crossings, was re-boilered in 1967 and from 1971 was used mainly for cruising. On 17/12/1973 she arrived at Port Everglades from a cruise and on 9/1/1974 sailed for Curacao, Panama, Los Angeles and Kaohsiung, where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.915]

NIGER 1868
The NIGER was a 1,442 gross ton ship, length 250.7ft x beam 30.4ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Built by Mounsey & Co, Sunderland, (engines by G. Clark, Sunderland) she was launched in July 1868 for C.M.Norwood of London. She started her first voyage under charter to the Temperley Line of London on 11th May 1871 when she left London for Quebec and Montreal. Her sixth and last voyage on this service started 14th Aug.1872 and in Nov.1877 she was wrecked at S.Haaks, Holland. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.2, p.672]

NILE 1893
Built in 1893 by J&G.Thompson, Glasgow for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co, the NILE was a 5,855 gross ton ship, length 435ft x beam 52ft (132,59m x 15,85m), two funnels, three masts, single screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 215-1st, 36-2nd and 350-3rd class passengers. Launched on 21st Mar.1893, she started her maiden voyage from Southampton to Brazil and Buenos Aires on 19th Oct.1893. On Jan.11th 1900, she started the first of two voyages as Boer War Transport No.82 and returned to RMSP service in April. In 1901 she was fitted with refrigeration machinery for the carriage of frozen meat and in 1907 collided with the steamer LYNFIELD at Santos. On 6th Oct.1911 she commenced her last voyage for RMSP Co and was sold to the Nile Steamship Co, owned by the Southern Pacific Co, Hong Kong and operated by Pacific Mail SS Co between San Francisco and Hong Kong. Her mainmast was removed at this time. In 1915 she was sold to China Pacific SS Co, and used on the same route, and in 1917 became a US Transport used for Mediterranean and India trooping duties. Returned to Pacific service in 1918, she was laid up in 1922 and scrapped at San Francisco in 1925. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.5, Royal Mail & Nelson Lines.]

NINEVAH 1864
This was a 1,174 ton wooden hulled ship, built in 1864 by Walter Hood, Aberdeen for the Aberdeen White Star Line. This company was renowned for the smartness of their ships, with their green painted hulls, white masts and spars and gilt scroll work at their bows and sterns. The NINEVAH was considered a lucky ship with her freights and passengers and made a great deal of money for her owners. She made a passage from the UK to Sydney of 79 days in 1873, and was used in the wool trade on the homeward voyages which took about 105 days. Later purchased by Goodlet & Smith, Sydney, she was abandoned in the North Pacific in February 1896. [The Colonial Clippers by Basil Lubbock]

NINEVAH / ALDENHAM / LARNE 1894
The NINEVAH was a 3,808 gross ton ship, built by Napiers of Glasgow in 1894 for the Aberdeen Line. She was a single screw steamer with clipper bows, single funnel, three masts, a speed of 12 knots and accommodation for 1st and 3rd class passengers. She sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Capetown, Melbourne and Sydney on 31/10/1894 and continued this service until starting her last voyage on 14/5/1907. She was then sold to the Eastern & Australian Steamship Co, used on the Sydney - China service and renamed ALDENHAM. Purchased by Royal Mail Steam Packet Co Meat Transports Ltd in 1916 and renamed LARNE, she was again sold in 1917 to the Zurbaran Steamship Co and was eventually broken up at Wilhelmshaven in 1923. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [Pacific Steamers by Will Lawson]

NIZAM 1873
Official No.68455, 2,725 gross tons, length 351.3ft x beam 38.2ft, iron hull, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 12.5 knots, accommodation for 96-1st and 30-2nd class passengers. Launched 27th Jun.1873 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for P & O. S.N.Co., she was used on the UK to India service. In 1882 she was used as a transport during the Egyptian campaign and in 1884 was transferred to the Venice - Bombay route. 1889 converted to a cargo liner with accommodation for only six passengers. 1893 scrapped at Bombay. [P & O Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue] [Merchant Fleets, vol.1 by Duncan Haws]

NOMADIC / CORNISHMAN 1891
5,749 gross tons, length 460.8ft x beam 49.1ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots. Carried a crew of 45. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast as the NOMADIC for the White Star Line as a livestock carrier. Launched on 11th Dec.1891 and started her maiden voyage from Liverpool to New York on 24th Apr.1892. In 1899 she became TRANSPORT No.34 and was used as a store ship and horse transport during the Boer War. Sold to the Dominion Line in 1903, she was renamed CORNISHMAN the following year and was resold to Leyland Line in 1921. In 1926 she was scrapped at Lelant, Cornwall. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.812] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.2]

NOORDAM / KUNGSHOLM 1901
The NOORDAM was a 12,531 gross ton vessel built in 1901 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Dutch company, Holland America Line. Her details were - - length 550.3ft x beam 62.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 286-1st, 292-2nd and 1,800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 28th Sep.1901, she sailed from Rotterdam on her maiden voyage to New York on 1st May 1902. On 17th Oct.1914 she was damaged by a mine in the North Sea, but repaired and resumed sailing on 26th Mar.1915. On 3rd Aug.1917 she was again damaged by a mine and was then laid up for the duration of the war. She resumed service between Rotterdam, Plymouth, Brest and New York on 9th Mar.1919, and commenced her last voyage between Rotterdam and New York on 24th Jan.1923. She then went to the Swedish America Line, who refitted her to carry 478-cabin class and 1,800-3rd class passengers and renamed her KUNGSHOLM. On 15th Mar.1923 she started sailings between Gothenburg and New York, and on 7th Nov.1924 between Gothenburg, Halifax and New York. On 6th Oct.1926 she went back to her previous name of NOORDAM and resumed sailing between Rotterdam and New York and in December of that year, became a third class passenger ship only. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 16th Apr.1927, was then sold and scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht in 1928. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3. p913.]

NOORDLAND 1883
The NOORDLAND was built for Red Star Line in 1883 by Laird Bros, Birkenhead. Her details were - 5,212 gross tons, length 400ft x beam 47ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There wasaccommodation for 63-1st, 56-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 1st Nov.1883, she started her maiden voyage on 29th Mar.1884 when she sailed from Antwerp for New York. She commenced her last sailing on this service on 9th Mar.1901 and was then chartered to the American Line who altered her accommodation to carry 160-2nd and 500-3rd class. She commenced sailings in April 1901 from Liverpool to Philadelphia, but on 28th Mar.1906 resumed Antwerp - New York for two round voyages and then went back to the Liverpool - Philadelphia route. She made her last voyage on this service in 1908 and was scrapped later the same year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.852]

NORD AMERICA / STIRLING CASTLE 1882
The NORD AMERICA was built in 1882 by J.Elder & Co, Glasgow as the STIRLING CASTLE for Thos Skinner & Co, London. She was a 4,826 gross ton ship, length 418.6ft x beam 50ft, two funnels, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 15 knots when built. Launched on 21/1/1882, she was used on the tea trade from China and was world famous for her rapid voyages. Purchased by the Italian company, La Veloce in 1883, she was fitted with accommodation for 90-1st, 100-2nd and 1,223-3rd class passengers and renamed NORD AMERICA but, due to her fame, was allowed to retain her original name as well. She commenced her first voyage from Genoa to South America on 13/11/1883 and in 1884 was named NORD AMERICA only. In 1885 she was chartered by the British government for carriage of troops to Suakin, Sudan and in 1899 was chartered to the Russian government and used as a troopship between Odessa and Vladivostock in connection with the Boxer rebellion in China. Rebuilt by Palmers Co Ltd in 1900, re-engined with less powerful engines to give a speed of 13.5knots, accommodation altered to carry 90-2nd and 1,223-3rd class only, funnels lengthened and her three masts reduced to two. On 27/5/1901 she started her first voyage between Palermo, Naples and New York and commenced her last passenger round voyage from Genoa to Naples and New York on 25/3/1908 (58 round voyages). In December 1908 she was used as an accommodation ship for survivors of the earthquake at Messina. She was then employed solely as a cargo steamer, and on 5/12/1910 while on passage from Buenos Aires with a cargo of horses, she ran aground on the Moroccan coast. She was refloated and towed to Genoa, laid up and was scrapped in 1911. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1264-1271, by N.R.P.Bonsor] [South Atlantic Seaway, p.278-279, by N.R.P.Bonsor]

NORDAMERIKA 1848
The NORDAMERIKA was owned by the Hamburg America Line. This was a three masted barque rigged vessel of 419 gross tons built in 1848. Wooden construction, cargo 200 tons and passenger accommodation for 20-1st class and 200 steerage and a crew of 17. Laid down in 1848 as the AMERIKA but renamed to avoid confusion with another German ship of that name, she was used on the Hamburg - New York service until 1858 when she was sold to Norwegian owners. Broken up in 1868. [Merchant Fleets in Profile by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

NORDERNEY 1896
4,867 gross tons, length 129.32m x beam 15.38m, speed 10 knots. Built 1896 by Wigham Richardson & Co., Walker-on-Tyne as the cargo steamer ELIZABETH RICKMERS for Rickmers & Co., Bremen. 1898 chartered to Norddeutscher Lloyd for their Baltimore service. Jan.1900 purchased by NDL and rebuilt as an emigrant carrier with accommodation for 19-2nd and 975-tween deck passengers mainly to La Plata, but elsewhere as required. 25th Jul.1916 mined and sunk off Cape Arkona, Rugen island.on voyage Sweden - Germany.

NORFOLK / LA PLATA / ORIENTA / NORSE KING / ALBION / ARGONAUT 1879
3,240 gross tons, length 332.4ft x beam 40.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built by R & H. Green, London, she was launched on 21st Jun.1879 as the NORFOLK for Money, Wigram & Co and used on their London - Sydney service. 1882 purchased by Royal Mail Steam Packet Co and renamed LA PLATA, she started her first Southampton - South America voyage on 9th Oct.1882. 1893 sold to Clubs Yachting Association, London and renamed ORIENTA and used for cruising. 1895 sold to Norse King Steamship Co renamed NORSE KING. 1896 sold to Albion S.S.Co.renamed ALBION. 1898 renamed ARGONAUT, R. Galbraith & J. Moorhead, London. Sep.1908 sunk in collision with s/s KINGSWELL off Dungeness. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Merchant Fleets vol.5 by Duncan Haws]

NORFOLK 1900
5310 gross tons, length 420.7ft x beam 54ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co, Sunderland in 1900 for the Federal Line and sailed UK - South Africa - Australia - New Zealand. 1901 used as a Boer War Transport. 1906 lost her propeller in the Indian Ocean and sailed over 1,000 miles to Fremantle using canvas hatch covers as sails. 8th Nov.1914 caught fire en route Melbourne - Sydney and was abandoned at sea. She went ashore on Ninety Mile Beach, Victoria and became a total loss.

NORGE / PIETER DE CONINCK 1881
The NORGE was built in 1881 by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow as the PIETER DE CONINCK for the Belgian owned Engels Line. She was a 3,310 gross ton ship, length 340.3ft x beam 40.8ft, straight stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Launched on 11/6/1881, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to New York and Antwerp on 28/6/1881. On 18/8/1881, she started Antwerp - New York sailings in a joint service with the White Cross Line, and commenced her last voyage on this service on 1/1/1889. She then went to the Danish owned Thingvalla Line and was renamed NORGE. On 2/3/1889 she sailed from Antwerp on her first voyage to New York (arr.23/3/1889, dep.30/3/1889) and Copenhagen. She started sailings between Copenhagen, Christiania (Oslo), Christiansand and New York on 11/9/1889 and commenced her last voyage from Stettin to Copenhagen, Christiania, Christiansand and New York on 28/9/1898. Sold to the Scandinavian American Line in 1898, she resumed a similar service on 29/11/1898. On 28/6/1904 she was wrecked near Rockall, Hebrides with the loss of 620 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.997]

NORMAN 1853 see Ships to Natal

NORMAN 1894
The NORMAN was a 7537 gross ton ship, length 507ft x beam 53.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 17.5 knots. Accommodation for 150-1st, 100-2nd and 100-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for the Union Steamship Co on 19th Jul.1894 and was considered to be well ahead of any other ship on the route in terms of facilities and comfort at the time. Used on the mail service from Southampton to South Africa, she consistently made the journey in under 16 days. In 1895, she grounded near Port Shepstone with slight damage, and the master was stripped of his command. Requisitioned in Nov.1899 for use as a Boer War transport and in 1900 came under the ownership of the newly formed Union-Castle Mail SS Co.and returned to service after the war. Refitted by Harland & Wolff in 1904 with accommodation for 170-1st, 108-2nd and 120-3rd class passengers and in 1910, with the advent of newer ships, she was laid up at Southampton as a reserve steamer, but making the occasional voyage. After a couple of trooping voyages to France in 1914, she returned to regular South Africa voyages and in 1915 her home port was changed to Tilbury. In May 1918 she was again taken over for trooping, mostly to the Mediterranean and in May 1919 made one voyage to Australia under charter to P&O Line. Again returned to the mail service until 1921 when she transferred to the Intermediate London - East Africa run until 1923 when she switched to the "Round Africa" service, sailing out via Suez and home via West Africa. Laid up in 1925, she was scrapped the following year. [Steamers of the Past by J.H.Isherwood] [Merchant Fleets, vol.18 Union-Castle Line by Duncan Haws]

NORMANNIA / PATRIOTA / L'AQUITAINE 1890
8,242 gross tons, length 500ft x beam 57.5ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 19 knots. There was accommodation for 420-1st, 172-2nd and 700-3rd class passengers. Built by Fairfield Co, Glasgow, she was launched for the Hamburg America Line on 9th Feb.1890. On 22nd May 1890 she left Hamburg on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York and on 4th Jan.1895 started her first winter sailing between Genoa, Naples and New York. Her last Hamburg - Southampton - New York voyage started on 6th Nov.1897 and on 8th Dec.1897 she resumed Genoa - Naples - New York sailings. She made three round voyages on this route, the last starting on 4th Mar.1898 and was sold to the Spanish Navy in 1898, converted to an auxiliary cruiser and renamed PATRIOTA. In 1899 she was purchased by the French Line (Cie Generale Transatlantique), renamed L'AQUITAINE, and commenced Havre - New York voyages on 9th Dec.1899. Her 33rd and last voyage on this service started 9th Sep.1905 and in 1906 she was sold and scrapped at Bo'ness. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.397] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

NORSEMAN 1866
1,386 gross tons, length 263ft x beam 32.2ft, clipper bows, iron hull, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 9 knots. Built 1866 by Charles Lungley & Co, Deptford, London for the Union Line, Southampton and used on the Southampton - South Africa mail and passenger service, usually with a call at Plymouth. 1873 sold to J. Heugh. 1874 converted to a cable repair ship for Cia Telegrafica Platino-Brasileira and used on the Siemen's cables between Rio de Janeiro and Montevideo. 1880 engines compounded to give a speed of 12 knots. 1888 laid the up-river River Plate cable. 1892 badly damaged in a storm and put up for sale. 1895 purchased by A. C. S. Springer, London, 1898 scrapped.

NORSEMAN 1868
The Norseman, a side wheel steamer of 422 tons, was built at Montreal in 1868 by Cantin. Gildersleeve of Kingston was her owner After running from Toronto to Rochester for many seasons, she was rebuilt in 1891, and her name changed to North King.

NORSEMAN / BRASILIA 1898
10,222 gross tons, length 516ft x beam 62ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 12 knots. Built with accommodation for 300-2nd and 2,400-steerage class passengers. Launched on 27th Nov.1897 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast as the BRASILIA for the Hamburg America Line, she started her maiden voyage from Belfast to New York on 21st Mar.1898. Her first Hamburg - Baltimore sailing started on 4th May 1898 and in Feb.1900 she was sold to Harland & Wolff and then taken over by the Dominion Line, Liverpool who renamed her NORSEMAN and refitted her for cargo and emigrant work on the North Atlantic. Chartered by the Aberdeen Line in 1910 she started London - Cape Town - Melbourne - Sydney voyages with 3rd class passengers on 7th June and continued this service until starting her last voyage on 30th Jan.1914. On 22nd Jan.1916 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.39 off Salonika while carrying a cargo of mules and munitions. Towed to Mudros where she was beached and later sold to Italy for scrapping. [North Star to Southern Cross by John Maber] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1 (photo)] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

NORTHAM 1858
1,330 gross tons, 274ft x 34.7ft, iron hull, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 13 knots. Accommodation for 97-1st and 30-2nd class passengers.
1858 launched by Summers. Day & Co., Southampton for P & O Steam Nav. Co. for initially the Suez to Bombay and later India to Australia services. 20th Aug.1859 stranded near Jeddah but later refloated. Dec. 1868 sold to C. A. Day, Southampton in part payment for the new HINDOSTAN. Jan. 1869 sold to Union SS Co., Southampton. 1876 sold to Sir James Malcolm, Liverpool, engines removed and operated as a sailing vessel. 21st Dec. 1878 destroyed by fire in the South Atlantic in position 09.40S 31.36W on voyage London to Sydney.

NORTH AMERICAN 1856
The NORTH AMERICAN was a 1,715 gross ton ship, length 283ft x beam 35.2ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 75-1st and 350-3rd class. Built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton she was laid down as the BRITON but launched on 26th Jan.1856 as the NORTH AMERICAN for the Allan Line. She left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 23rd Apr.1856. In June 1867 she stranded on Anticosti Island but was refloated and towed to Quebec for repairs and resumed Liverpool - Portland sailings on 12th Nov.1868. On 19th Apr.1871 she started her first Liverpool - Norfolk - Baltimore voyage and commenced her last voyage on this service on 11th Mar.1873. Sold at Montreal in 1874, her engines were removed and she was used as a sailing vessel. On 19th Feb.1885 she sailed from Melbourne for London and went missing. [North Atlantic seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.307]

NORTH BRITON 1858
The NORTH BRITON was a 2,187 gross ton ship, built by Wm.Denny & Bros, Dumbarton in 1858 for the Allan Line. Her details were - length 298ft x beam 38.1ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 151-1st and 332-3rd class. Launched 11/6/1858, she sailed from Liverpool on 8/9/1858 for her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal. On 5/11/1861 she was wrecked on Mingan island, Labrador with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.308]

NORTHERN LIGHT 1851
The NORTHERN LIGHT was built by J.Simonson, New York (engines by Allaire Works, New York) in 1851 for the US owned Vanderbilt European Line. She was a 1,768 gross ton ship, length 253.5ft x beam 38.2ft, two funnels, two masts, wooden construction, side paddle wheel propulsion and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 25th Oct.1851, she started her first New York - Southampton - Havre voyage in June 1858. She made a second voyage on this route in Aug.1858 and was chartered to the New York & Bremen Line  and started New York - Southampton - Bremen sailings on 18th May 1867. She started her second and last voyage on this service on 13th July 1867. Chartered to Ruger's American Line, she sailed from New York for Bremen on 22nd Aug.1868 and then made a second voyage for this company between New York, Southampton and Copenhagen on 27th Mar.1869. She was scrapped in 1875. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.332]

NORTHERN PACIFIC 1915
8,256 g.t., 509.5ft x 63.1ft, triple screw 23 knots passenger ship built 1915 as NORTHERN PACIFIC by W. Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia for Great Northern Pacific SS Co., Astoria, Ore. Used on the Astoria - San Francisco coastal service. Sep.1917 became U.S. Military transport. Nov.1921 returned to U.S. Shipping Board. Feb.1922 transferred to Pacific SS Co., Seattle. 8th Feb.1922 burnt at sea while 25 miles SE of Cape May on voyage New York to Chester, Pa. in ballast for drydocking.

NORTHFLEET 1853
the sailing ship NORTHFLEET 951 tons was built 1853 by Pitcher & Co. and owned by John Patton & Co. On 22nd Jan.1873 she was lying at anchor off Dungeness. There were 379 persons on board, most of whom were railway workers on passage to Tasmania to construct the Tasmanian railway. Her cargo was mainly railway iron. Her lights were burning brightly and the night was clear. At about 10.30pm, the Spanish steamer MURILLO, 300 tons, Capt. Berrute collided at speed with the anchored ship, most of the passengers being asleep below. The NORTHFLEET was struck amidships and cut down to the waterline, the MURILLO without waiting to ascertain the extent of the damage made off in the darkness. There was considerable panic and Capt.Knowles fought, revolver in hand to keep back the crowd and save the women and children. Meanwhile the tug CITY OF LONDON, the lugger MARY, the PRINCESS and a pilot cutter took off a number of people. There were many ships in the vicinity, but with the exception of these vessels they rendered no aid. The clipper CORONA was lying at anchor only 300 yards away but was unaware of the tragedy as the night watchman was asleep. Two other circumstances delayed rescue - firstly Capt. Knowles did not realise the extent of the damage and did not send up distress signals until 15 minutes after the collision. Secondly, the signal gun could not be fired owing to the touch hole being blocked. Of those on board, 320 were drowned including the Captain. The MURILLO was arrested off Dover on 22nd Sept., eight months after the collision. A Court of Admiralty condemned her to be sold and severely censured her officers. [Dictionary of Disasters at Sea by C. Hocking]

NORTHLAND 1915 see ZEELAND 1901

NORTHUMBERLAND 1871
The NORTHUMBERLAND was a 2,178 gross ton ship, length 84,98m x beam 11,58m, clipper bows, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 9 knots. Built by Wigram, Blackwall in 1871 for Money Wigram & Co, London, she started her maiden voyage on 28th Dec.1871 when she left London for Melbourne and Sydney. Her last voyage on this service started on 14th Nov.1881 and she was then sold to Shaw, Savill & Albion Co who removed her engines and rigged her as a three masted ship. Used on the frozen meat service, she was wrecked at Napier on 10th May 1887 during a gale. All the crew were saved, but five rescuers drowned. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.10]

NORWAY / BRAEMAR / HOOPOE 1868
The NORWAY was a 1,297 gross ton ship, built by Barclay, Curle, Glasgow in 1868 as the BRAEMAR. Her details were - length 236.6ft x beam 31.6ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Launched in March 1868, she was commissioned for use as a feeder vessel for the Allan Line between Newcastle and Norway, passengers being conveyed between Newcastle and Liverpool or Glasgow by rail. In 1869 she was renamed NORWAY and on 13th Oct.1870 commenced a single round voyage between Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal. On 21st Dec.1870 she started a second voyage between Liverpool and Savannah, Georgia and was sold to the Cork Steamship Co the following year.I don't have any information on what routes she was employed onn after this, but she was renamed HOOPOE in 1873 and was sunk in collision with the SS SIR GALAHAD off Lands End in 1888. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.313]

NORWEGIAN 1883 see CITY OF NEW YORK 1865

NOUVEAU MONDE 1865 see LABRADOR 1875

NOVA LISBOA 1912
7,745 gross tons, length 439.5ft x beam 55.7ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots. Built 1912 by Soc. Anon. John Cockerill, Hoboken, Holland as the ALBERTVILLE for Cie. Belge Maritime du Congo, Antwerp for the Antwerp - Belgian Congo service. 1923 sold to Cia. Nacional de Navegacao, Lisbon renamed ANGOLA. 1946 renamed NOVA LISBOA for the same owners. 1950 sold to British Iron & Steel Corporation and towed to Blyth where she was scrapped.

NOVA SCOTIA 1926
6,796 gross tons, length 406.1ft x beam 55.4ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 14 knots. Accommodation for 105-cabin and 80-3rd class passengers. Launched on 29th Jan.1926 by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd, Barrow for the Warren Line, she made her maiden voyage in May 1926 from Liverpool to St. John's NF, Halifax and Boston. In Jan.1941 she was requisitioned as a troopship and on 4th Dec.1942 while sailing from Aden to Durban with a full complement of 127 crew, 12 service personnel, 6 non-military passengers and 780 Italian prisoners of war under the guard of 130 South African troops was torpedoed by a German submarine. She was off the African coast near Lourenco Marques (Maputo) in position 28.30S 33.00E and sank rapidly with heavy loss of life. The total death toll was reported to be 863 which made it one of Britain's worst maritime disasters of the war. [Wartime Disasters at Sea by David Williams]

NOVA SCOTIA / FRANCIS DRAKE 1946
7,438 gross tons, length 423.5ft x beam 61.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 75-1st and 80-tourist class passengers. Crew 80. Launched 8th Nov.1946 by Vickers-Armstrong, Newcastle as the NOVA SCOTIA for Furness Withy & Co. and operated by Furness-Warren Lines Ltd, Liverpool on their Liverpool - St. John's NF - Halifax - Boston service. 28th Oct.1961 last voyage as a passenger ship. Jan.1962 passenger accommodation reduced to 12 due to declining numbers carried, and sold to Dominion Navigation Co, Melbourne (H. C. Sleigh Ltd). Refitted at the builder's Elderslie Yard, her bridge deck was extended to the foremast and aft to the stern house. Renamed FRANCIS DRAKE, she was then used on the Australia - Hong Kong - China - Japan service until 1971 when she was scrapped at Kaohsiung, Taiwan.[Merchant Fleets, vol.37 by Duncan Haws]

NOVA SCOTIAN 1858
The NOVA SCOTIAN was built in 1858 by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for the Allan Line. She was a 2,108 gross ton ship, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 131-1st and 328-3rd class. Launched 18th Mar.1858, she left Liverpool on 2nd Jun.1858 on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal. In 1873 she was rebuilt to 3,305 tons, lengthened to 366.3ft, and re-engined. She resumed Liverpool - Portland sailings on 15th Jan.1874 and on 7th Apr.1874 started her first Liverpool - Halifax - Norfolk - Baltimore sailing. Her final sailing started on 5th Jul.1892 when she left Liverpool for St John's NF, Halifax and Baltimore and she was scrapped in 1893. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.308]

NUBIA / SHAFTESBURY 1854
2096 gross tons, length 88.16m x beam 11.58m, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, rigged for sail, iron hull, speed 12 knots. Built by J.Laird, Birkenhead, she was registered on 15th Aug.1854 for the P&O Line and placed on the Southampton to Alexandria service. In 1855 she was used as a Crimean War transport and in 1856 transferred to the Calcutta - Suez route. In 1871 she was used on the Galle to Australia service and later in the Mediterranean. Sold to the London Schools Board in Dec.1877, she was converted to a training ship and renamed SHAFTESBURY. Scrapped in 1906.

NUBIA / LUIZ 1882
3551 gross tons, length 378.2ft x beam 40.2ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built by D.& W.Henderson. Glasgow, she was launched for Anchor Line's Indian service on  13th Sep.1882. Her maiden voyage started in Nov.1882 when she left Glasgow for Liverpool and Bombay and between 1882 and 1904 (or later) she sailed between Glasgow, Liverpool and Bombay or Calcutta. However in 1888 she made a single round voyage from Glasgow to Fiume (dep.12th Apr.), Trieste, Naples and New York (arr.18th May) with 834 passengers. On 17th Jan.1889 she commenced her first sailing from Calcutta to Port Said, New York and Singapore. Sold to Brazil in August 1906 and renamed LUIZ and wrecked on the coast of Rio Grande do Norte, Brazil on 11th Jan.1911. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.463]

NUBIA 1895
NUBIA 1895 5,914 gross tons, length 430ft x beam 49.3ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 90-1st and 62-2nd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched on 13th Dec.1894 for the P & O Steam Navigation Co and was used on the intermediate service to Calcutta and trooping as required. In 1897 cholera broke out among Indian troops while she was trooping for the Boer War and she was also used as a hospital ship during this conflict. On 20th Jun.1915 she was wrecked off Colombo while waiting for a pilot. At the time she was en route Bombay - Colombo - Shanghai with general cargo. There were no casualties.[Merchant Fleets vol.1 by Duncan Haws] [P & O, A Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue]

NUMANTIA / PANGRIM / CASSAQUEL 1901
4,385 gross ton cargo ship, built 1901 by William Gray & Co, West Hartlepool for the Hamburg America Line. 1916 seized by the Portuguese at Mormugao and renamed PANGRIM for the Portuguese Government. 1917 transferred to Cia. Colonial, Lisbon renamed CASSAQUEL. 1941 torpedoed and sunk by a German U-Boat.

NUMIDIAN 1891
The NUMIDIAN was a 4,836 gross ton ship, built by D&W Henderson Ltd, Glasgow in 1891 for the Allan Line. Her details were - length 400ft x beam 45.2ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 100-1st, 80-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9th June 1891, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 20th August 1891. On 22nd May 1903 she commenced her first Glasgow - New York voyage and started her last New York voyage on 28th Sept. 1905, closing this service. She started her first Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal voyage on 21st April 1906 and between 1906 - 1914 sailed from Glasgow to Montreal, Boston or Philadelphia. In 1906 she had been downgraded to carry 2nd and 3rd class passengers only. Her last Glasgow - Halifax - Boston voyage commenced on 31st July 1914 and her last Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal - Glasgow on 24th Oct. 1914 (arr.Glasgow 24th Nov. 1914). She was then sold to the British Admiralty and sunk as a blockship. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.319]

NURNBERG 1873
Built by R.Steele & Co, Greenock in 1873 for North German Lloyd of Bremen, the NURNBERG was a 3,116 gross ton ship, length 351ft x beam 39.1ft. She had a straight stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 34-1st, 33-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 9/9/1873, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and Baltimore on 17/2/1874. On 11/9/1880 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to Southampton and New York (9 round voyages) and on 15/12/1886 started sailings from Bremen via the Suez Canal to the Far East. She started her first Bremen - Suez - Australia voyage on 13/7/1887 and her eighth and last on 11/6/1891. On 21/1/1892 she commenced her last Bremen - Baltimore crossing and in 1895 was sold and scrapped the following year at Vegesack. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.549]  

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: August 06, 2010 and maintained by and M. Kohli