FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - V

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

VADERLAND / GEOGRAPHIQUE 1872
This was a 2,748 gross ton ship, length 320.5ft x beam 38.5ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. Accommodation for 30-1st (later 70) and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Palmers Shipbuilding & Iron Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne, she was launched for the Red Star Line on 21st Aug.1872. Her maiden voyage started on 20th Jan.1873 when she left Antwerp for Falmouth, Halifax and Philadelphia. On 25th Mar.1873 she started her first Antwerp - Philadelphia direct sailing and on 29th Nov.1876 her first Antwerp - New York voyage. Between 1877-1887 she sailed Antwerp - New York or Philadelphia and commenced her last New York voyage on 26th Oct.1887. She subsequently sailed to Philadelphia until Mar.1889 when she was sold to French owmers and renamed GEOGRAPHIQUE. In Oct.1889 she was sunk in collision. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.849/50]

VADERLAND / SOUTHLAND 1900
11,899 gross tons, length 560.8ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, four masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 342-1st, 194-2nd and 626-3rd class passengers. Launched on 12th Jul.1900 by John Brown & Co, Glasgow for the International Navigation Co., Liverpool, she started her maiden voyage on 8th Dec.1900 when she left Antwerp for Southampton and New York. She was then chartered to the American Line and made three Southampton - Cherbourg - New York voyages starting 11th Dec.1901 and ending 8th Apr.1901. On 16th May 1903 she commenced Antwerp - New York sailings under the Belgian flag, starting her last on 25th Dec.1914. On 22nd Sep.1914 she commenced Liverpool - New York sailings under the British flag and in December was chartered to White Star - Dominion Line for three Liverpool - Halifax - Portland sailings. In 1915 she was requisitioned as a troopship and renamed SOUTHLAND and on 2nd Nov.1915 was torpedoed in the Aegean Sea, but reached port and was repaired. She returned to White Star - Dominion Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal service in Aug.1916 but on 4th Jun.1917 was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.70 off the Irish coast with the loss of 4 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2,p.855 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

VALDIVIA 1911
The VALDIVIA was a French passenger ship, built 1911 by Chantiers & Ateliers de Provence, Port de Bouc for Societe Generale de Transports Maritimes a Vapeur, Marseilles. She was 7,137 gross tons, length 463ft x beam 54.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15½ knots and used on their South America service to Buenos Aires. In 1915 she was lent to the British Admiralty for use as a hospital ship, managed by Union-Castle Mail S.S. Co. 1919 returned to owners and 1933 scrapped at Savona.

VALPARAISO 1873 (2)
was a 3,575 gross ton ship, built in 1873 by John Elder & Co, Glasgow for the British owned Pacific Steam Navigation Co. Her details were - length 115,57m x beam 12,74m (379.2ft x 41.8ft), clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sails), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 116-1st, 50-2nd and 800-3rd class. Launched on 30th July 1873, she commenced sailings between Liverpool, Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo and Valparaiso on 8th October 1873. On February 28th 1887, she was wrecked off Vigo, Spain while on passage from Liverpool to Montevideo, with no loss of life. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor,p.160]

VALPARAISO / DON MATIAS 1873 (2)
was owned by the German, Hamburg South America Line. Built by Reiherstieg, Hamburg, she was a 2,247 gross ton ship, length 91,43m x beam 10,97m (300ft x 36ft), straight stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was capacity for 30-1st and 150-3rd class passengers. Launched in May 1873, she started Hamburg - Brazil sailings on 19th November 1873. In 1893 she was sold to British owners and in 1902 went to Chilean owners and was renamed DON MATIAS. On 23rd July 1908 she was sunk in collision off the coast of Chile. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor,p.201]

VANCOUVER 1884
was built by C.Connell & Co, Glasgow in 1884 for the Dominion Line. Her details were - 5,141 gross tons, length 430.6ft x beam 45ft, two funnels, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 200-cabin class, 120-intermediate and 1,500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 12th March 1884, she commenced her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 8th may 1884. On 28th Dec. 1886 she was chartered to Inman Line and completed two voyages between Liverpool, Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. In August 1890 she sustained slight damage in collision with an iceberg in fog near Belle Isle. In November 1890 her commander and a quartermaster were swept overboard and drowned. In 1892 she was rebuilt with triple expansion engines and only one funnel, and in November 1894 she stranded at the entrance to Lough Foyle and was towed to Liverpool. In August 1896 she was in collision with the Beaver Line's LAKE ONTARIO in the St Lawrence River and both ships sustained damage. On 29th March 1902 she sailed from Liverpool for Naples and on 10th April 1902 commenced her first Naples - Boston sailing. She commenced her last Boston - Genoa - Naples voyage on 21st Nov. 1903 and resumed Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyages in May 1904. Her accommodation was altered to carry 300-2nd and 1,500-3rd class passengers and she commenced her final voyage on 27th March 1909 when she left Portland for Liverpool. In 1910 she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.807]

VANCOUVER ISLAND / SUD AMERICANO / SCHLESWIG / YAKIMA STAR / WESER 1928
The "Vancouver Island" was a 7,000 gross ton twin screw motorship built by the Deutsche Werke, Kiel in 1928 as the "Sud Americano" for the Norwegian A/S Linea Sud Americano (Ivar Christensen). Due to her not reaching her contracted speed, she (together with her sister ship "Sud Expreso") was returned to her builders, renamed "Schleswig" and laid up. For a time she was under charter to the Blue Star Line of London and was renamed "Yakima Star". About 1933 she was purchased by an intermediary concern, re-engined, and had her hull lengthened, bringing her gross tonnage up to 9,200. Her two funnels were replaced by a single one, and she entered the service of Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd] of Bremen. She was then renamed "Weser". In October 1940 she was captured while attempting to run the British blockade by HMCS Prince Robert, which was formerly the Canadian National Steamship coastal liner of the same name. The "Weser" was renamed "Vancouver Island" and as such, was torpedoed by a German submarine in the North Atlantic on October 15th 1941. [Keith B.Lewis, Sea Breezes magazine, Dec.1950]

VANDALIA / KEHRWEIDER / POLONIO 1871
2,810 gross tons, length 330ft x beam 39ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 150-1st, 70-2nd and 150-3rd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock, she was launched for the New Orleans service of the Hamburg America Line on 22nd Apr.1871. However, her maiden voyage which started on 28th Jun.1871 was from Hamburg to New York. Her 27th and last voyage on this service started 12th Feb.1883 and she was then sold to British owners. In 1884 she was sold to the Hamburg-Hansa Line, renamed KEHRWEIDER and started Hamburg - Montreal sailings on 12th Apr.1885. She commenced her last voyage on this route on 17th Oct.1891 and then made a single round voyage between Hamburg and Boston. In 1892 she returned to Hamburg America Line ownership and continued on the Hamburg - Boston route. Renamed POLONIO in 1895, she was sold in 1897 and scrapped at Spezia.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.390] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

VAN DEN BOSCH 1902
2,776 gross tons, 317ft x 41.3ft, single screw, speed 12 knots, passenger / cargo steamer built 1902 by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Amsterdam for N.V. Konink. Paketvaart Mij., (Royal Packet Navigation Co) Batavia. Used on Dutch East Indies inter island trade. Used as troop transport during WWII, 1952 scrapped at Hong Kong.

VANDYCK 1921
was a 13,233 gross ton ship, length 510.6ft x beam 64.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 300-1st, 150-2nd and 230-3rd class passengers. Built by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast. she was launched om 24th Feb.1921 for the Liverpool, Brazil & River Plate S.N.Co . She entered service on 27th Sep.1921 on the New York - River Plate run with calls at the West Indies and Brazil. In 1922 she made one voyage New York - Hamburg for Royal Mail Steam Packet Co before continuing normal service. After the disastrous loss of the VESTRIS, the NY - South America service was discontinued and the VANDYCK was laid up at Southampton in 1930. In 1932 she was converted for cruising and in 1934 was transferred to the new Lamport & Holt Line. 1939 converted to the armed boarding vessel HMS VANDYCK, she was sent to Halifax, but her passage revealed that she was not suitable and she was returned to Scapa Flow where she was used as a depot ship and accommodation ship for small Northern Patrol ships. 1940 took part in the Norway campaign and on June 9th she was attacked by German aircraft off Norway and set on fire. Abandoned on 10th June, her crew escaped ashore where they became prisoners of war and the ship sank the following day. [Merchant Fleets, vol.34 by Duncan Haws]

VARDULIA 1917 / VERDUN
was a another Cunard cargo ship, 5,691 tons, built 1917 as the VERDUN by Russell & Co, Glasgow for Gow, Harrison & Co, London. Purchased by Cunard Mar.1918 and renamed VARDULIA. 1929 sold to Donaldson Bros, Glasgow and used on Canadian routes. Oct.1936 lost with all hands en route West Hartlepool - St John, NB with a cargo of coal. Two radio messages received "Dangerous List" and "Am Abandoning Ship".

VASARI / ARCTIC QUEEN / PISCHEVAYA INDUSTRIYA 1908
was a 10,117 gross ton ship, length 486ft x beam 59.3ft, one funnel, two masts, singlew screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 200-1st, 48-2nd and 70-3rd class passengers. Built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co, Middlesborough (engines by Richardson, Westgarth & Co, Middlesborough), she was launched on 8th Dec.1908 for Lamport & Holt Line's New York - South America service. Her maiden voyage started on 24th Apr.1909 when she left Middlesborough for Plymouth, New York and Buenos Aires. Chartered to the Cunard Steamship Co, she started her first New York - Liverpool voyage on 17th Jun.1919 and commenced her seventh and last round voyage Liverpool - New York on 13th Sep.1921. In 1928 she was sold to Hellyer Bros, Hull, converted into a fish factory ship and renamed ARCTIC QUEEN. Sold to the USSR in 1935 and renamed PISHCHEVAYA INDUSTRIYA, she was scrapped at Kaohsiung in 1979. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.162] [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, p.100] [Lamport + Holt by P.M.Heaton]

VASILEFS CONSTANTINOS / MEGALI HELLAS / BYRON 1914
9,272 gross tons, length 470ft x beam 58.1ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 60-1st, 450-2nd and 1,800-3rd class passengers. Built by Cammell, Laird & Co, Birkenhead, she was launched for the National Greek Line on 9th June 1914. On 13th May 1915 she left Piraeus on her maiden voyage to Patras, Naples and New York and commenced her eleventh and last transatlantic sailing on 9th Sep.1916. Renamed MEGALI HELLAS, she resumed New York sailings on 12th Oct.1919 and started her last between Constantinople, Piraeus, Patras, Marseilles and New York on 12th Jan.1923. Transferred to the Byron Line under the British flag in 1923, she was renamed BYRON she commenced her first voyage on 4th Aug.1923 from Constanza to Constantinople, Piraeus, Patras and New York. Her last Piraeus - Patras - New York sailing under the British flag started 25th Jul.1928 and she then transferred back to the National Greek Line under the Greek flag. Her final voyage started 2nd Oct.1935 when she sailed from Piraeus for Lisbon, New York, Boston, Azores, Lisbon and Piraeus. The Greek Government then withdrew subsidies and the company went into liquidation. The BYRON was scrapped at Spezia in 1937.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.4, p.1416]

VASILISSA FREIDERIKI / MALOLO / MATSONIA / ATLANTIC 1926
"Vasilissa Freideriki" (Queen Frederica). She was built by W.Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia in 1926 as the "Malolo" for the American Matson Line. She was a 17,232 gross ton ship, length overall 582ft x beam 83.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 22 knots. There was accommodation for 693-1st class passengers. Launched on 26/6/1926, she was struck by the Norwegian freighter "Jacob Christensen" while on trials near the Nantucket Lightship, was extensively damaged and repaired at New York. She made her first voyage from San Francisco to Honolulu in November 1927. In 1937 she was renamed "Matsonia" and continued in the same service until 1941 when she was converted to a troopship. In April 1946 she was returned to Matson Line and on 22/5/1946 resumed the SF - Honolulu service until April 1948 when she was laid up at Alameda, Calif. The same year, she was sold to the Panamanian Home Line and renamed "Atlantic". Refitted in 1949 by Ansaldo, Genoa to 15,602 tons and to carry 283-1st, 224-cabin and 735-tourist class passengers, she commenced her first voyage from Genoa to Naples, Barcelona and New York on 14/5/1949. She started her last crossing on 21/11/1951 when she left Alexandria for Haifa, Beirut, Naples, Genoa, Cannes, Barcelona, Halifax and New York. In 1952 she was altered to carry 174-1st and 1,005-tourist class passengers with a tonnage of 20,553 tons. In February 1952 she started her first Genoa - Halifax - Southampton voyage and then transferred to Southampton - Havre - Halifax crossings. She made three round voyages on this route and then started Southampton - Havre - Quebec voyages on 21/4/1952. Her last voyage on this service was in November 1954 and on 18/11/1954 she sailed from New York for Halifax, Naples and Genoa. She made one more Genoa - Naples - Halifax - New York crossing and in January 1955 was sold to the Greek National Hellenic American Line. Renamed "Vasilissa Friederiki" (Queen Frederica) and refitted to accommodate 190-1st, 250-cabin and 800-tourist class passengers, she sailed on her first voyage from Piraeus to Naples, Palermo, Halifax and New York on 29/1/1955. In January 1956 she was altered to carry 1st and tourist class only, and to 21,239 tons. On 1/11/1965 she started her last New York - Naples - Piraeus voyage and then went to Chandris Lines of Greece. She sailed from Piraeus for Messina, Palermo, Naples, Halifax and New York in March 1966 and on 12/10/1967 started her last voyage on this service. On 24/10/1967 she sailed from New York for Havre and Southampton and on 16/11/1967 commenced a single round voyage from Rotterdam to Southampton, Cape Town, Australia and New Zealand. She was subsequently used for Mediterranean cruises by Sovereign Cruises and in 1971 was laid up in the River Dart, Devon. In June 1972 she sailed to Piraeus and was again laid up. Used in 1973 for Mediterranean cruises, she was laid up at Piraeus in November of that year and in 1977 was scrapped at Elefsis, Greece. In February 1978 she was gutted by fire at the breaker's yard. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1697-8]

VASNA 1917 was a 5,767 gross ton ship, built in 1917 by Alex, Stephen & Sons, Glasgow for the British India Steam Navigation Co and was one of four sister ships. Her details were - length 390.1ft x beam 53.3ft x depth 24ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 12.5 knots. She was designed to carry 60-cabin class passengers, with a crew of 129. She was taken over in 1917 while building and completed as a hospital ship with 613 beds and 125 medical staff. In 1919 she was released back to BISN Co and used on their Bombay - Basra route until September 1939 when she was again taken over. Converted at Mazagon Dockyard, Bombay to "Naval Hospital Ship No.4" with 278 beds and 73 medical staff, she was attached to the East Indies Squadron. Transferred to European waters in 1940, she was based at Scapa Flow, took part in the evacuation from Norway, and in December 1940 was damaged by air attack while at Liverpool. In Spring 1941 she was based at Freetown with the South Atlantic Squadron for three months and then returned to Scapa and the Home Fleet. She transferred to the Eastern Fleet, based in Ceylon (Sri Lanka) in Feb.1942 and was involved with the Madagascar landings. In June 1943 she went to the Mediterranean, then UK and back to the Mediterranean where she was seconded to Army service for the Sicily landings, based at Tripoli. Returned to the Eastern Fleet in 1944 and was at the Burma invasion and in 1945 was attached to the British Pacific Fleet. Carried Australian ex-prisoners of war from Okinawa to Sydney and in March 1946 was refitted for the BISN Co Persian Gulf service. In Feb.1951 she was sold for breaking up and was scrapped at Blyth.
[Merchant Fleets, vol.11, British India S.N.Co, by Duncan Haws]

VEDIC 1917
was a 9,332 gross ton ship, length 460.5ft x beam 58.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 1,250-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for the White Star Line on 18th Dec.1917. Her maiden voyage started 11th Jul.1918 when she left Belfast for Glasgow and Boston as a troopship. In Sep.1919 she was used to repatriate British troops from Russia and in 1920 was refitted at Middlesborough for commercial service. She made her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage in Aug.1920, and on 22nd Dec.1921 started her first Liverpool - Halifax - Portland sailing.She commenced her last voyage on this service on 6th Apr.1922 and on 17th May 1922 transferred to the Bremen - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal route. She only made four round voyages on this route, the last starting on 11th Oct.1922. Refitted at Belfast in 1925, she was put onto the Australian emigrant trade and was eventually scrapped at Rosyth in 1934. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.767]

VEENDAM 1922
15,450 gross tons, length 575ft x beam 57.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Passenger accommodation for 262-1st, 436-2nd 1,200-3rd class. Built by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow, she was launched on 18th Nov.1922 for the Holland America Line. Her maiden voyage from Rotterdam to New York started on 18th Apr.1923 and she continued this service until leaving New York on her last crossing to Rotterdam on 30th Mar.1940. In May 1940 she sustained fire damage at Rotterdam and was seized by the Germans. Used as an accommodation ship for submarine crews at Gdynia and Hamburg. Badle damaged by bombing at Hamburg in 1945. Reconditioned at Amsterdam in 1946 and given accommodation for 223-1st and 363-tourist class passengers, she resumed Rotterdam - New York sailings on 21st Feb.1947. Her final voyage on this service started on 30th Oct.1953 and she was then scrapped at Baltimore.
[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.914] [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.2, p.198]

VEGA / BENGUELLA 1879
2893 gross tons, length 361.5ft x beam 38.3ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. There was accommodation for 1st class plus 80-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. Built by A.Leslie & Co, Hebburn-on-Tyne (engines by R.Stephenson & Co, Newcastle), she was launched for the Star Navigation Co. on 20th Aug.1879. Purchased by Empreza Insulana de Navegacao, Lisbon in 1890, she started her first Lisbon - Azores - New York voyage on 11th Nov.1890. Her last sailing on this route commenced on 5th Apr.1899 and she was then sold to Empreza Nacional de Navegacao and renamed BENGUELLA. She was wrecked near Mossamedes, Angola on 9th Jan.1907.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1191 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

VENETIA / BELLAGIO / PAROS / GALATA / APOLLONIA 1891
was Hamburg America Line's VENETIA. She was a 2,822 gross ton ship, length 320ft x beam 40ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 30-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Reiherstieg, Hamburg, she was launched on 30th Jul.1891 and sailed on her maiden voyage from Hamburg to New York on 12th Oct.1891. On 7th Mar.1893 she started her first voyage from Stettin to Helsingborg, Gothenburg, Christiansand and New York and commenced her last sailing on this route on 18th Nov.1896, having made 20 round voyages on this service. Sold to the Sloman Line of Hamburg in 1900, she was renamed BELLAGIO and in 1905 she was sold to Deutsche Levante Line and named PAROS. Renamed GALATA in 1906, she went to Italian owners in 1913 and was renamed APOLLONIA. On 1st Mar.1917 she was torpedoed and sunk by a German submarine near Flamborough Head, Yorkshire. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.397]

VENEZIA 1907
was built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne in 1907 for the Fabre Line of Marseilles. She was a 6,707 gross ton ship, length 457ft x beam 51.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was capacity for 80-1st and 1,800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 30th Apr.1907, she sailed from Marseilles on 8th Sep.1907 on her maiden voyage to Naples, Almeria and New York. In 1913, accommodation for 60-2nd class passengers was added and on 8th Mar.1919 she started her last Marseilles - New York - Marseilles voyage. Chartered to Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line) in 1919 for use on their Cuba and Mexico service, she was destroyed by fire in the North Atlantic on 19th Oct.1919. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1135]

VENTURA 1900
was built by William Cramp, Philadelphia in 1900 for the Oceanic Steam Ship Co of San Francisco. She was a 6,253 gross ton ship, two funnels, twin screw, 17 knots and with accommodation for 240-1st class together with 2nd and 3rd class passengers. She commenced sailings between San Francisco, Honolulu, Auckland and Sydney in 1901 and continued this service until 1907 when she was laid up in San Francisco, due to the company's financial problems. In 1912 she was reconditioned, converted from coal to oil fuel and rebuilt with only one funnel. Resumed the San Francisco - Honolulu - Pago Pago - Sydney service until 1917 when she was taken over for trooping duties in the Atlantic. On 6/5/1919 she returned to the San Francisco - Honolulu - Sydney route, and in 1926, control of the company passed to Matson Line and the service became known as the Matson-Oceanic Line. She was replaced by newer and faster ships and was laid up at San Francisco in 1932. In 1934 she was broken up in Japan. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

VERONA 1879
VERONA O.N. 81791. 3,069 gross tons, length 380.9ft x beam 38.3ft, iron hull, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 12.5 knots. Accommodation for 130-1st and 54-2nd class passengers. Launched 23.7.1879 by Caird & Co, Greenock for the P & O Steam Navigation Co, she made her maiden voyage from London to Calcutta and was generally used on the UK - Far East service. In 1898 she was chartered for a Hong Kong - Manila service and in 1899 was scrapped at Rotterdam. [P & O, A Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue]

VERONA 1908
was a 8,240 gross ton ship, length 482.3ft x beam 58.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. Accommodation for 60-1st and 2,500-3rd class passengers. Built by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast, she was launched on 31st Mar.1908 for the Italia Line of Genoa. Her maiden voyage started on 19th Jun.1908 when she left Genoa for Naples, New York and Philadelphia. In 1909 accommodation for 120-1st class passengers was added and in Aug.1910 she was refitted to carry 60-1st and 120-2nd class as well as emigrants. Her last voyage for this company started on 25th Aug.1911 when she sailed from Genoa for Naples, New York and Philadelphia and she was then taken up as a military transport during the Libyan War. Taken over by Navigazione Generale Italiana in 1913, she started her first Genoa - Naples - Palermo - New York sailing on 9th Mar.1913 and commenced her last Genoa - New York voyage on 4th Mar.1917. On 11th May 1918 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC.52 near Cape Pellaro, Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1383]

VESTRIS 1912
10,494 gross tons, length 511ft x beam 60.8ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 280-1st, 130-2nd and 200-3rd class passengers. She carried 250 crew. Built by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast, she was launched for the Lamport & Holt Line, Liverpool on 16th May 1912. Used on the River Plate to New York service and used as a military transport during the Great War. In 1919 she operated circular services between Buenos Aires, Liverpool and New York and in Aug.1919 a fire broke out in the coal bunkers. The ship was escorted to St.Lucia by HMS DARTMOUTH, the passengers housed in barracks ashore for 10 days until the fire was extinguished. Resumed Buenos Aires - New York service until 1928. On 10th Nov.1928 she left New York with 129 passengers and 196 crew. The following day she ran into a severe storm and developed a list to starboard. This worsened as her cargo and coal bunkers shifted, and on 12th Nov. while 200 miles off Hampton Roads, a distress call was sent out and the ship abandoned. At 2pm the ship fell onto her side and sank. 112 out of the 325 on board were drowned and the survivors picked up the following day. Press publicity led to a collapse of bookings and the closure of the service. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.34 Lamport & Holt Line]

VICKSBURG 1872
was a Dominion Line ship, built by A.McMillan & Son, Dumbarton (engines by J&J.Thomson, Glasgow) in 1872. She was a 2,484 gross ton ship, length 326.9ft x beam 38.3ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 80-cabin and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 28/3/1872, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 9/6/1872. On 27/7/1872 she commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage, and on 8/8/1872, stranded in the St Lawrence River but was refloated. She started her first Liverpool - New Orleans sailing on 21/2/1874 and on 13/5/1874 resumed Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyages. Her final voyage on this route commenced on 28/4/1875 and she was sunk in collision with an iceberg near Newfoundland with the loss of 47 lives on 1st June. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.803]

VICTOR EMANUEL / ARCTURUS 1856
Passenger and cargo steamship, 1 deck, iron hull, 364 gross tons, length 146.7ft x beam 20.7ft, 1872 rebuilt to 472 gross tons, length 182.8ft. Built by Alexander Denny, Albert Yard, Dumbarton, yard No.40. Completed 16.2.1856, registered as owned by Alexander Denny, Glasgow and named VICTOR EMANUEL. Used on the Clyde - Mediterranean service. 28.8.1858 sold to John Mitchell, Glasgow. 13.4.1858 arrived Copenhagen and chartered to C.P.A. Koch for the Copenhagen - Scotland - Torshavn - Iceland service. 1858-1870 mail service to the Faroes and Iceland. 17.4.1858 left Copenhagen on her first trip to the Faroes and Iceland via Leith. 7.3.1859 sold to C.P.A. Koch & Wm Henderson, Copenhagen for £7,500 and renamed ARCTURUS. 7.3.1863 arrived Glasgow for repairs and new boiler. 16.7.1864 sold to L.C. Poulsen, Kjobenhavn, chartered to the Danish Government and used as a troopship during the war against Germany. 16.7.1864 resold to Koch & Henderson. 1.1.1867 officially taken over by DFDS and used on the Copenhagen - Iceland and Stettin - Copenhagen - West coast of Norway services. 1871-1872 lengthened and re-boilered at Renfrew. Dec.1877 badly damaged in collision with Norwegian SS VIDAR, grounded, refloated and repaired at Bergen. 5.4.1887 On voyage Copenhagen - Danzig in ballast, collided with SS SAVONA, Leith and sank off Falsterbo with no loss of life.

VICTORIA 1872
The Anchor Liner VICTORIA was a 3,242 gross ton ship, length 360ft x beam 40.1ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. Accommodation for 150-1st, 80-2nd and 700-3rd (later increased to 1,200) class passengers. Built by Robert Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow (engines by Finnieston Steamship Works, Glasgow), she was launched on 9th May 1872 and sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Moville and New York on 2nd Nov.1872. Her last voyage on this route started on 7th Jul.1878 and she transferred to London - New York sailings on 14th Aug.1878. She started her last voyage on this service on 16th Dec.1881 and was then fitted with new engines. Between 1882 - 1888 she was used on the Glasgow - Liverpool - Bombay/Calcutta run and in Sep.1888 sailed from Glasgow for the Mediterranean, New York, Genoa, Trieste, Messina, Naples and New York. She subsequently sailed between the Mediterranean and New York until starting her final voyage on 12th Mar.1904 when she left Marseilles for Genoa, Naples, Palermo and New York. In 1905 she was scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.458]

VICTORIA 1902
5,967 gross tons, length 401ft x beam 52.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13.5knots, accommodation for 106-1st, 104-2nd and 595-3rd class passengers.
Built 1902 by Fairfield, Glasgow for Pacific Steam Navigation Co. 5th Mar.1903 maiden voyage to Valparaiso and subsequently put onto the Callao service. 1914-1918 on Government service. 1923 scrapped in Holland. Sister ships -PANAMA, MEXICO and CALIFORNIA.

VICTORIA / DUNNOTTAR CASTLE / THE VICTORIA 1936
VICTORIA started life as the DUNNOTTAR CASTLE in 1936 for the Union Castle Mail Steamsip Co's Southampton - Cape Town mail and passenger service. Used as an Armed Merchant Cruiser and troopship during the war. Returned to London - round Africa service from 1949 - 1958 when she was sold to Incres Line and registered in Liberia. Renamed VICTORIA in 1959 and converted to a cruise ship. Used for Mediterranean cruises in 1959; New York - West Indies cruises from 1960. Sold to Phaidon Nav. Co, Panama in 1975 and towed to Piraeus. Renamed THE VICTORIA in 1977. Cruising in Mediteranean and Caribbean 1981. I believe this ship is still in service based in Cyprus.

VICTORIAN / MARLOCH 1904
was a 10,635 gross ton ship built in 1904 by Workman, Clark & Co, Ltd. for the Allan Line of Liverpool. Her details were - length overall 540ft x beam 60.4ft, one funnel, two masts, triple screw (first N. Atlantic liner with triple screws and first with turbine engines) and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 346-1st, 344-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 25th Aug. 1904, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to St John NB on 23rd March 1905. On 27th April 1905 she commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage and continued UK - Canada sailings until 1914 when she was converted to an armed merchant cruiser. She served with the 9th and later the 10th Cruiser Squadrons and after the war, was refitted by Cammel Laird and returned to Canadian Pacific Ocean Services who had taken over the Allan Line. She resumed the Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal service on 23rd April 1920, was refitted to carry 418-cabin, and 566-3rd class passengers in October 1920 and commenced her last Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage on 2nd Sept. 1921. In October 1921 she was chartered to the British government and carried out a trooping voyage from Southampton to Bombay and on her return was re-engined to oil fuel. On 3rd Aug. 1922 she transferred to the Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal route and on 11th Dec. 1922 was renamed MARLOCH. She commenced her first Glasgow - St John NB voyage on 20th Dec. 1922 and on 2nd Feb. 1926 transferred to the Antwerp - St John NB service. She collided with, and sank the British steamer WHIMBREL off Flushing on 2nd Feb. 1926 and was towed to Southampton. Repaired, she returned to the Antwerp - Southampton - St John, NB service on 4th March 1926 and sailed on her final Antwerp - Quebec - Montreal crossing on 17th Aug. 1928. She was laid up at Southend until 1929 when she was sold to T.W.Ward & Co and arrived at Milford Haven on 17th April, being subsequently broken up at Pembroke Dock. Her panelling, which was inlaid with mother-of-pearl was transferred to the board room of Ward's Sheffield office, where it can still be seen. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.322] [Canadian Pacific-100years, by George Musk]

VIENNA 1894
1,753 gross tons, length 302ft x beam 36ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 218-1st and 120-2nd class passengers. Built 1894 by Earle's Co., Hull for the Great Eastern Railway Co.'s Harwich - Hook of Holland service. She was one of three sister ships wich operated a daily service in each direction every night except Saturdays. Going to Holland, a train left Liverpool Street for Harwich at 8pm for Harwich and after a six hour crossing, arrived at the Hook of Holland at 6am the next morning. In 1910 she was transferred to the Antwerp service. In 1914 on the outbreak of the Great War she was used as a Naval accommodation ship at Harwich and in 1915 was converted to a Q-ship (submarine decoy vessel with hidden guns to tempt U-Boats into surfacing) and given the temporary name ANTWERP. She then became an armed boarding steamer on the contraband patrol used to board neutral vessels to ensure they were not being used to trade with Germany. In 1920 she was transferred to the Harwich - Zeebrugge route and renamed ROULERS. 1924 transferred to London & North Eastern Railway Co. on it's formation. 1930 scrapped.

VIENNA 1929
4,227 g.t., 350.8ft x 50.1ft, two funnels, twin screw, speed 21 knots, capacity for 444-1st, 104-2nd class passengers plus cars carried aft. Launched 10th Apr.1929 by John Brown & Co., Clydebank for London & North Eastern Railway's Harwich to Hook of Holland night service. 1939 continued service until Netherlands were occupied by Germany then became troopship between Southampton and France.1941 purchased by the Ministry of War Transport and converted to depot ship for Motor Torpedo Boats in the Mediterranean. 1942 based at Algiers. 1943 based at Bari. 1945 reconverted to troopship on Harwich - Hook service under L. N. E. R management. 1947 refitted as leave ship for British troops in Germany and used on Harwich - Hook and Tilbury - Ostend routes. 11th Feb.1952 boiler explosion killed two crew. July 1960 withdrawn from service and towed to Ghent where she was scrapped. [Merchant Fleets vol.25 by Duncan Haws]

VIKING 1878 Owned by Wm.Ross & Co. Chartered by Temperley Line and sailed first London - Canada voyage 18/9/1878. Last voyage commenced 8/8/1883 and wrecked Sept.1883 (Anticosti Island)

VILLE DE MARSEILLES / STAD AMSTERDAM 1874
2,714 gross tons, length 349.7ft x beam 38.4ft, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 45-1st and 500-3rd class passengers. Built by A.& J. Inglis, Glasgow, she was launched on 10th Dec.1874 as the STAD AMSTERDAM for the Royal Netherlands SS Co. Used on their Mediterranean service and in 1877 made a London - Melbourne - Sydney voyage under charter to the Orient Line. On 30th Nov.1878 she started a single round voyage between Marseilles - Bone - Philadelphia and in Apr.1879 was sold to Cie Generale Transatlantique (French Line) and renamed VILLE DE MARSEILLES. On 14th Jun.1879 she started Marseilles - Panama sailings and on 13th Nov.1880 started the first of four Havre - New York sailings. Her first Marseilles - New York voyage started on 14th May 1881 and her eighth and last voyage on this service started on 24th Sep.1882. She was also used on the New Orleans service. In 1902 she was scrapped at Genoa. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.655; vol.3, p.1068]

VILLE DE METZ / OTHMARSCHEN 1920
The VILLE DE METZ was a 7,007 gross ton ship, length 411ft x beam 53.8ft, speed 10 knots, accommodation for 54 passengers. Built 1920 by North of Ireland Shipbuilding Co, Londonderry for Nouvelle Compagnie Havraise Peninsulaire de Navigation, Havre. Aug.4th 1940 seized by Germans at Bordeaux and became a German naval transport. 1941 came under the management of Hamburg South America Line and renamed OTHMARSCHEN. Feb.1st 1943 torpedoed and sunk by Soviet submarine L-20 in the Varangerfjord, Northern Norway at position 71.07N 27.30E. [Register of Merchant Ships in 1920 by W. A. Schell] [Photo in The Hamburg South America Line by Arnold Kludas, ISBN 0-905617-50-9]

VILLE DE STRASBOURG 1920
7,398 gross tons, length 411ft x beam 53.9ft, one funnel. two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built 1920 by North of Ireland Shipbuilding Co., Londonderry for Nouvelle Compagnie Peninsulaire and chartered to Societe des Services Contractuels de Messageries Maritimes for cargo service between North Europe - New Caledonia - Australia. 1928 purchased by Messageries Maritimes and converted to cargo / passenger ship with accommodation for 40-1st and 50-2nd class passengers for the Pacific feeder services. In Mar.1941 she was seized by the Royal Navy off the Cape of Good Hope and operated by the Ministry of War Transport, managed by Union Castle Mail SS Co. 7th Jan.1943 torpedoed off Bougie and towed into Algiers where she was further damaged by air attack. Apr.1945 returned to her owners, she sailed for Saigon with French troops and in 1951 was reduced to cargo only and used on Indian Ocean services. 1952 Scrapped at Faslane.

VIMINALE 1925
8,657 gross ton motorship, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. Built in 1925 by San Rocco, Trieste. Between 1930-1932 she sailed from Genoa via Suez to Fremantle, Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane on charter to Lloyd Sabaudo and Navigazione Generale Italiana. From 1932-1936 she was used on the same service for Italia Line and in 1937 commenced Genoa - Suez - Fremantle - Adelaide - Melbourne - Sydney - Brisbane sailings. On 25th Jul.1943 she was sunk by Royal Navy gunfire and air attack off Cape Vaticano. [North Star to Southern Cross by John. M. Maber]

VINCENZO FLORIO 1880
2,840 gross tons, length 352.1ft x beam 38.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 20-1st, 24-2nd and 500-3rd class passengers. Built by A.Stephen & Sons, Glasgow, she was launched for Florio, Palermo on 29th Mar.1880 and started her maiden voyage between Catania, Messina, Palermo and New York on 22nd May 1880. Her sixth and last voyage for these owners started 24th May 1881 when she left Palermo for New York and she was then transferred to the newly formed Navigazione Generale Italiana. Her first sailing for these owners commenced 18th Sep.1881 between Palermo - Malaga - New York amd her last on 5th Dec.1884 between Naples - Palermo - New York. In 1885 she was used on transport duties to Eritrea before transferring to the South America run. She recommenced Genoa - Naples - New York voyages on 21st May 1900 and started her last voyage on this route on 4th Mar.1906 having made 29 North Atlantic voyages. Transferred to Soc.Nazionale di Servizi Marittimi in 1910, she was used on other services until 1923 when she was scrapped.[North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1111 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

VIRGILIA 1887
was built 1887 by Flensburger Schiffsbau Ges., Flensburg (Yard No.91) for A. Kirsten, Hamburg. In 1888 she came under the ownership of Hamburg Pacific Damps. Linie (A. Kirsten, manager). Missing since last sighted on 6th Aug.1890, 11 miles west of Tamara Island, west of Magellan Strait on voyage Hamburg and Punta Arenas to Valparaiso with general cargo.[Schell Registers]

VIRGILIO 1927
She was a sister ship to the ORAZIO and was an 11,700 ton motorship, built by Cant ed Officine, Meridionali, Baia in 1927 for Navigazione Generale Italiana for their Italy - Panama Canal - Valparaiso service. Her dimensions were - length 506ft x beam 61.7ft (154,2m x 18,8m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 110-1st, 190-2nd and 340-3rd class passengers and she carried a crew of 200. Launched in Dec.1926, she was completed in April 1928 and commenced service on the Genoa - Panama - Valparaiso run. In Jan.1932 she joined 'Italia' Flotta Riunite in the amalgamation of NGI, Lloyd Sabaudo and later the Cosulich Line. Converted to a hospital ship in June 1940, she was seized by the Germans in Sep.1943 at La Spezia after the Italian surrender. Badly damaged in an Allied air raid at Toulon in Dec.1943. In June 1944 she was blown up by the Germans before their retreat from Toulon and the wreck was raised and scrapped after the war. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.3, p.82] There is a picture of the ship in this book[ISBN 0-85059-245-3]

VIRGINIA / STATE OF VIRGINIA 1873
She was built in 1873 by the London & Glasgow Co, Glasgow as the VIRGINIA for the British "State Line". This was a 2,473 gross ton ship, length 331.2ft x beam 36.4ft, straight stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 70-1st, 40-intermediate and 400-3rd class. Launched on 29/3/1873, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to Larne and New York on 6/6/1873. In December 1873 she was renamed STATE OF VIRGINIA and resumed the same service on 3/1/1874. She commenced her last voyage on 20/6/1879 when she left Glasgow, and was wrecked on Sable Island with the loss of 9 lives on 15/7/1879. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.2,p.866]

VIRGINIA / SULTAN / HACHIRO MARU 1891
was a 2,820 gross ton ship, length 320ft x beam 40ft, one funnel, two masts, steel construction, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 30-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg, she was launched on 22nd Jul.1891 for the Hamburg America Line. On 17th Sep.1891 she left Hamburg on her maiden voyage to New York and started her first voyage from Stettin for Helsingborg, Gothenburg, Christiansand and New York on 12th Apr.1893. She made 23 round voyages on this service, the last starting on 23rd Dec.1896. In Dec.1898 she was sold to the Deutsch Ost-Afrika Line and renamed SULTAN and was sold to Naguchi Kabusiki Kaisya, Japan in 1913 and renamed HACHIRO MARU. In 1931 she came under the ownership of Yaga Houten KK, Japan and was scrapped at Yokohama in 1933. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.397] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

VIRGINIA / GARIBALDI 1906
was built in 1906 by Societa Esercizio Basini, Riva Trigoso (engines by G.Ansaldo, Armstrong & Co, Sampierdarena) for Lloyd Italiano of Genoa. She was a 5,181 gross ton ship, length 381.4ft x beam 48.1ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation was provided for 25-1st and 1,600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 19/9/1906, she sailed from Genoa on her maiden voyage to Naples and New York on 8/10/1906. She continued on this service until 1/3/1911 when she started her last crossing. In 1911 she went to Ligure Brasiliana, Genoa and was renamed GARIBALDI. Between 1911 and 1944 she was owned by several Italian companies and on 2/8/1944 was sunk during an air attack on Genoa. She was refloated in 1946 and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1345]

VIRGINIA DOLLAR 1924 see WAYFARER 1903

VIRGINIAN 1881
was a 4,081 gross ton ship, length 422.2ft x beam 40.9ft, one funnel, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for approx. 40-1st and 2nd class passengers. Built by Palmers Co, Ltd, Jarrow-on-Tyne, she was launched for the Leyland Line on 8th Oct.1881. Her maiden voyage started on 27th Jan.1882 when she left Liverpool for Boston and on 23rd Jan.1897 she commenced her first Liverpool - Boston sailing under charter to the Wilson's & Furness-Leyland Line. She was scrapped in Italy in 1910. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.3, p.986]

VIRGINIAN / DROTTNINGHOLM / BRASIL / HOMELAND 1905
Built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow in 1904 as the VIRGINIAN for the Allan Line. This was a 10,757 gross ton ship, length overall 538ft x beam 60.3ft, one funnel, two masts, three screws and a speed of 18 knots. There was accommodation for 426-1st, 286-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 22/12/1904, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to St John, NB on 6/4/1905. She commenced her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage on 11/5/1905 and her last on this route on 13/5/1914. On 3/6/1914 she was chartered to Canadian Pacific and commenced running between Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal to replace the ill fated EMPRESS OF IRELAND. She sailed from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 4/9/1914 and was used as a troop transport for the Canadian Expeditionary Force on the return voyage. In Oct.1914 she resumed her normal run for one voyage and was then requisitioned as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. In 1917 she returned to Canadian Pacific and sailed from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal on 16/9/1918. Her last voyage on this route commenced on 6/11/1918 and she was then reconditioned at Glasgow and on 22/2/1920 sailed to Gothenburg where she became the 11,182 ton, Swedish American Line DROTTNINGHOLM. She commenced sailing between Gothenburg and New York on 29/5/1920 and in 1922 was fitted with new turbines. In 1925 her accommodation was altered to accommodate 532-cabin and 854-3rd class passengers and in 1930 altered again to carry cabin, tourist and 3rd class. She commenced her last voyage on 7/3/1940 from Gothenburg to New York (arr 16/3, dep 26/3) and Gothenburg and between 1940 - 1946 made many voyages as a mercy ship. On 26/8/1945 she commenced her first voyage from New York to Gothenburg and was then reconditioned and resumed her normal Gothenburg - New York service on 27/3/1946. Her last voyage on this route commenced in Feb.1948 and she was then sold to Home Lines of Panama and renamed BRASIL On 8/4/1948 she commenced sailing between Genoa and South America and on 1/5/1950 started sailings between Genoa, Naples, Halifax and New York. She started a single New York - Bremen voyage on 28/9/1950 and on 12/5/1951 commenced her last voyage between Piraeus - Malta - Palermo - Naples - Genoa - Cannes - Halifax - New York. In 1951 she was renamed HOMELAND, rebuilt to 10,043 tons, accommodation for 96-1st and 846-tourist passengers. On 1/6/1951 she commenced her first voyage from New York to Hamburg, on 16/6/1951 commenced Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - Halifax - New York service and on 1/3/1952 started her last sailing on this route. On 14/3/1952 she commenced a New York - Mediterranean service and on 29/3/1952 commenced sailing between Naples - Genoa - Halifax - New York. She commenced her final voyage on 21/10/1954 when she left Genoa for Naples, Halifax, New York, Naples and Genoa, and in Feb.1955 she was scrapped at Trieste. [North Atlantic Seaway, by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.322]

VITTORIO EMMANUELE III 1918
4,856 gross tons, length 380ft x beam 53.2ft, single screw, speed 10 knots. Built 1918 by Seattle Construction & DD Co., Seattle to the order of S. O. Stray, Kristiansand, Norway, but requisitioned by the U.S. Navy for the Naval Overseas Transportation Service until Apr.1919. She was then transferred to the U.S. Shipping Board, Seattle. In 1937 ownership became U.S. Maritime Commission, Seattle. In 1938 sold to G.E. Marden (Wheelock & Co.), Shanghai renamed VITORLOCK. 8th Dec,1941 seized by Japanese in the China Sea, passed to Kokoku Kisen K.K. and renamed WAZAN MARU. 26th Apr.1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS SARGO in position 33.30N 135.27E off Honshu.

VOLENDAM 1922
was built by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow (engines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast) in 1922. She was a 15,434 gross ton ship, overall length 575ft x beam 67.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 263-1st, 436-2nd and 1,200-3rd class. Purchased by Holland America Line while under construction, she was launched on 6th July 1922 after attempts on 23rd and 24th June had failed. Her maiden voyage started on 4th Nov.1922 when she sailed from Rotterdam for New York. In May 1926 she was refitted to carry 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class passengers, April 1930 to 1st, tourist and 3rd class and Feb.1936 to cabin, tourist and 3rd class. Her last Rotterdam - New York voyage commenced 5th Apr.1940 and on 30th Aug.1940 she was torpedoed by a German submarine 200 miles from Bloody Foreland when carrying child evacuees to Canada. Beached on the Isle of Bute, she was repaired and in July 1941 became a troopship. Returned to Rotterdam in July 1945, she was partly reconditioned and in 1946 carried Dutch troops to Indonesia. In 1947 she was used in the Australia emigrant service and in June 1948 made her first Rotterdam - Quebec sailing for the Netherlands government with capacity for 1,500 single class passengers. In Sep.1948 she started her first Rotterdam - New York sailing and commenced her last voyage on this route in Feb.1951. In Oct.1951 she made her last Rotterdam - Quebec - Rotterdam voyage and in 1952 was scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.914]

VOLTAIRE 1907
The first VOLTAIRE was a 8,406 gross ton ship, length 485.3ft x beam 58.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 15 knots. Built by D & W. Henderson & Co, Glasgow, she was launched for the Lamport & Holt Line on 31st Jan.1907. Her maiden voyage started 28th Mar.1907 when she left Middlesborough for Liverpool and Buenos Aires. I have no record of her sailing between South America and New York, but the company did operate on this service and there was another, later VOLTAIRE that sailed on this service betwen 1923-1930. On 2nd Dec.1916, the first VOLTAIRE was sunk by the German raider MOEWE while 650 miles west of Fastnet. [Merchant Fleets, vol.34 by Duncan Haws]

VOLTAIRE (2) 1923
13,248 gross tons, length 510.6ft x beam 64.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 300-1st, 150-2nd and 230-3rd class passengers. Launched 14th Aug.1923 by Workman, Clark, Belfast for Lamport & Holt Line, she made a two day delivery cruise to Liverpool and then started her maiden voyage to New York and commenced New York - River Plate voyages. After the disastrous loss of the VESTRIS, the service was withdrawn in 1930 and she was laid up in the River Blackwater, Essex until 1932. She was then painted white and used as a cruise liner. In June 1939 she trooped to Bombay and was then sent to Scapa Flow as an accommodation ship for HMS ROYAL OAK and HMS IRON DUKE. After ROYAL OAK was torpedoed on 14th Oct, the survivors were taken aboard VOLTAIRE. On 15th Oct., IRON DUKE was bombed by German aircraft and VOLTAIRE was temporarily renamed IRON DUKE II until shore accommodation was finished. In Nov.1939 she was converted on the Tyne to an Armed Merchant Cruiser and named HMS VOLTAIRE. Sent to Malta in Jan.1940 as a contraband inspection ship between Malta, Alexandria and the Dardanelles. In June she became a North Atlantic convoy escort ship betwen the UK and Halifax. March 1941 left Halifax for Trinidad and Freetown and on 4th April was sunk in a 90 minute battle with the German Auxiliary Cruiser THOR with the loss of 75 lives. 197 survivors were taken aboard the THOR. [Merchant Fleets, vol.34 by Duncan Haws]

VOLTURNO 1888
Official No 93148, 2336 gross tons, length 297ft x beam 40.1ft x depth 19ft, one funnel, two masts. Launched 9th Aug.1888 by Richardson, Duck & Co, Stockton-on-Tees for Thos Wilson, Sons & Co, Hull. 26th Jul.1912 severely damaged by fire and explosion in cargo of sulphur at Grand Souffre Bay near Marseilles. 14th Aug.1912 sailed for Hull in tow of London steam tug WARRIOR after temporary repairs. 26th Aug.1912 in collision with the German steamship KATHE and the British owned NORTHWOOD in Hull roads causing considerable damage to both ships. Considered beyond economic repair and scrapped at Briton Ferry in Oct.1912.

VOLTURNO 1906
3,581 gross tons, length 340ft x beam 43ft (103.62m x 13.10m), one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 24-1st and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 5th Sep.1906 by Fairfield Co, Glasgow for Navigazione Italo-Americano and acquired by Volturno S.S.Co (D. G. Pinkney & Co). 21st Mar.1908 first voyage chartered to New York & Continental Line Rotterdam - Halifax - New York. 25th Jul.1908 last voyage Hamburg - Rotterdam - Halifax - New York (arr.15th Aug.) (2 round voyages). 5th Feb.1909 first voyage chartered to Northwest Transport Co London - Rotterdam - Halifax - New York. 4th Mar.1910 last voyage Rotterdam - Halifax - New York (9 round voyages). 1910 sold to Uranium Line. 30th Apr.1910 first voyage Rotterdam - Halifax - New York, 2nd Oct.1913 sailed from Rotterdam. 9th Oct.1913 destroyed by fire at sea with the loss of 136 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1378 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

VORWAERTS / INDIA 1906
5,990 gross tons, passenger ship built 1906 by Lloyd Austriaco, Trieste for their own shipping company. 1914 laid up at Mormugao, Feb.1916 seized by Portugal and renamed INDIA for Transportes Maritimos do Estado, Lisbon. 26th Oct.1921 caught fire and beached at Lisbon on voyage from Mozambique with a cargo of sugar. Later refloated but condemned and 1929 towed to Italy and scrapped.

VULCANIA / CARIBIA 1926
was built by Cantiere Navale Triestino, Monfalcone, Italy in 1926 for the Italian company, Cosulich Line. She was a 23,970 gross ton ship, length overall 631.4ft x beam 79.8ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 19 knots. There was accommodation for 310-1st, 460-2nd, 310-intermediate class and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 18/12/1926, she sailed from Trieste on her maiden voyage to Patras, Naples and New York on 19/12/1928. In 1930 her accommodation was altered to 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class, and in 1934 to 1st, tourist and 3rd class only. In 1930 she was fitted with new diesel engines which gave her a speed of 21 knots and was rebuilt to a tonnage of 24,469 tons. In Dec.1936 she commenced her last Trieste - New York voyage for Cosulich Line and in 1937 went to the newly formed Italia Line. In March 1937 she commenced running from Trieste to New York and in March 1940 commenced her last sailing Trieste - Naples - New York - Trieste. She was requisitioned by the Italian government in 1941 to carry troops to North Africa and in 1942-3 was used on three special missions to repatriate women and children, Genoa - East Africa via S.Africa. In Oct.1943 she became a US Troopship and on 29/3/1946 was chartered to American Export Line to run between New York - Naples - Alexandria. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 4/10/1946 after 6 round voyages and was returned to Italia Line on 15/11/1946. She then sailed New York - Naples - Genoa where she was reconditioned to carry 240-1st, 270-cabin and 860-tourist class passengers. In July 1947 she made a single voyage from Genoa to S.America and then, on 4/9/1947 resumed the Genoa - Naples - New York service. On 21/9/1955 she commenced her last voyage on this run and on 28/10/1955 was transferred to run between Trieste, Venice, Patras, Naples, Palermo, Gibralter, Lisbon, Halifax and New York. On 5/4/1965 she commenced her last voyage on this service and was sold to the Siosa Line who renamed her CARIBIA. On 18/9/1973 she arrived at Barcelona under tow to be scrapped and departed under tow for Kaohsiung for scrapping on 15/3/1974.

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: February 24, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli