FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Clarke Steamship Company / Lower St. Lawrence Transportation Co. Ltd. / La Cie de Traverse Rivière-du-Loup Tadoussac Ltee. (La Traverse Rivière-du-Loup - St. Simeon Ltee.) / La Cie de Navigation Charlevoix - Saguenay Ltee. / Magdalen Islands Transportation Co. Ltd. / Ungava Transports Ltee.

The company was originally formed by Desmond Clarke in 1921 with headquarters at Quebec to initially run two services from Quebec to Bradore Bay on the North Shore and from Quebec to Gaspé on the South Shore. Both these services called at a long series of wayports, trading posts, Indian villages and settlements. In 1922 the South Shore service was extended to the Magdalen Islands and later to Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island (PEI) and Pictou, Nova Scotia (NS). The base port became Montreal in 1925 and the service was extended Eastward to Corner Brook, Newfoundland (NF). By 1926 the company was running regular services from Montreal and Quebec to Murray Bay, Mont Louis and Gaspé on the St.Lawrence, Corner Brook and Loch Lomond on Newfoundland's West Coast, Forteau Bay and Battle Harbour in Labrador and St.Anthony's on Newfoundland's Northern Peninsula. Later schedules included calls at Summerside and Charlottetown, PEI and Pictou, NS en route from Gaspé to Corner Brook.

In 1927 the company entered the winter cruise market from Florida to the West Indies with the NEW NORTHLAND and by 1929 had extended the North Shore sailings to include Blanc Sablon. With the onset of the depression in 1930, and the drop in cruise bookings from Florida, the NEW NORTHLAND was used by the Canadian Government in 1931-2 for trade exhibitions to the West Indies. Cruises from Miami were resumed in 1937 with the NORTH STAR and NEW NORTHLAND. Later cruises alternated between Montreal and New York with calls at Halifax, Boston, etc.

In WWII many of the company's ships were requisitioned and a skeleton service continued with three ships and chartered tonnage as available. After the war, regular services resumed, but the increasing use of air services caused a cutback in the passenger fleet in 1961 and by 1967 the company sold their last passenger ship and, except for a couple of ferry operations, concentrated on cargo work.

Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources including a Sea Breezes article by Kevin Griffin. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

CLARKE STEAMSHIP COMPANY: FLEET LIST - PASSENGER SHIPS

Vessel

 

Years of Service

Tons

Colima 1917 ex- 'Q'ship HMS Polyanthus, 1921 became Mexican registered Colima, 1925 chartered by Clarke from the Clan Line, 1927 returned to Clan Line, 1929 sold to British Trade Crusades, London, 1933 sold to 1909Greece, renamed Acropolis, 1941 destroyed by aircraft attack at Piraeus. 1,393
Gaspesia 1909 ex- Alexandra, Riga-Lubecker DG, Lubeck, became Arbroath for Dundee, Perth & London Shipping Co., 1922 purchased by Clarke renamed Gaspesia, 1946 renamed North Voyageur (2). 1950 sold to Honduras registry, sank off Newfoundland. 1,909
Gulfport 1943 ex- Tiefland (German), became Empire Gatehouse after war, 1947 purchased by Clarke renamed Gulfport, 1964 sold to Liberia, renamed Stefani, 1966 renamed Agia Marina, 1967 sold to Greece, renamed Bright. 2,836
Island Connector 1946 1951 sold to Canadian Pacific Rly., Montreal, renamed Yukon Princess, 1958 sold to Westley Shipping Co., Vancouver, renamed West Princess, 1959 sold to Liberia, renamed Rosita, 1963 scrapped. 1,334
Labrador 1918 ex- armed coastal defence trawler TR45 for the Canadian Government, purchased 1921 from Gulf of St.Lawrence Shipping & Trading Co., Montreal, renamed Labrador, sold 1930 to Canadian Gov't renamed Mardep, 1935 renamed Bernier, 1960 sold to Valier Bouchard, Cacouna, Que. 1965 wrecked in St. Lawrence. 317
Nayarit 1918 ex- 'Q'ship HMS Ivy, 1921 became Mexican registered Nayarit, 1925 chartered by Clarke from Clan Line, 1929 purchased by Clarke renamed North Voyageur. 1937 sold to Greece, renamed Esperos, 1941 destroyed by air attack off Missolonghi. 1,461
New Northland 1926 ex- Northland, 1940 requisitioned by Canadian Gov't as troopship, 1942 sold to British Ministry of War Transport, 1946 sold to Seaway SS Lines, Quebec, 1947 sold to Gov't of Dominican Republic ,renamed Nuevo Dominicano, 1953 sank off Cuba. 3,445
North Coaster 1946 1963 sold to Kimberley Nav.Co., Nassau, renamed Karina II, 1965 sold to Panama, renamed Bon Bini. 1,387
North Gaspé 1938 1961 transferred to Magdalen Islands Transport Co., 1970 sold to North Star Shipping Ltd, Halifax, NS, 1972 sold to Metropolitan Touring Ltd., Guayaquil, renamed, Iguana. 886
North Voyageur (1)   see Nayarit.  
North Voyageur (2)   see Gaspesia.  
Northland 1926 1926 - 1927 renamed New Northland. 3,445
North Pioneer 1946 1967 laid up, 1969 sold to Steel Factors, Montreal, 1970 sold to Panama ,renamed Vivian, 1971 sold to Blue Seas Shipping Co., Georgetown, CI, renamed Blue Seas. 1,473
North Shore (1) 1895 ex- Queen Olga Constantine, Archangel Mourman SN Co., Archangel, later renamed Novaia Zemilia, 1921 purchased by Clarke renamed North Shore, 8th Aug.1933 wrecked on Cariboo Islands, Calumet River, Que. 880
North Shore (2) 1943 ex- corvette HMCS Lindsay, 1946 purchased by Clarke, renamed North Shore. 1961 sold to Greece, renamed Lemnos. 1,205
North Star 1930 ex- Prince Henry, Canadian National SS Co., 1937 purchased by Clarke renamed North Star, 1940 requisitioned by RCN became armed merchant cruiser HMCS Prince Henry, 1943 converted to Landing ship, 1946 sold to British Ministry of Transport renamed Empire Parkeston and used as a troopship between Harwich and the Hook of Holland, 1962 scrapped. 6,893
Novaport 1944 ex- Weserwehr (German), became Empire Gangway after war, 1950 purchased by Clarke renamed Novaport, 1964 sold to Liberia renamed Fury, 1st Dec.1964 wrecked 100 miles off Halifax. 2,828
Sable I 1914 Halifax Trading & Sealing Co., Windsor, NS, 1929 purchased by Clarke from Bras d'Or Bay Nav.Co., Windsor, NS, 1946 renamed North Trader, 1947 sold to Northlantic Sealers Ltd., St. John's NF, renamed Sable I, 1948 sold to Blue Peter Steamships, St. John's NF, renamed Blue Seal, 1955 sold to Gulf & Northern Shipping Co., Pictou, NS renamed Fergus, 1970 scrapped. 734

LOWER ST. LAWRENCE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, LIMITED. (1929-1969)

The Lower St Lawrence Transportation Co., Ltd, was also known as La Cie de Transport du Bas St. Laurent Ltee. It was formed in 1919 to undertake local passenger and cargo services from Rimouski and Matane to ports on the North Shore between Baie Comeau and Sept-Îles and Blanc Sablon. Service was terminated in 1969 when subsidy transferred to Maritime Agency Inc.

Vessel

Built

Years of Service

Tons

Jean Brillant 1935 1969 sold to A. Langlais, Quebec. 640
Manicouagan 1924 1929 purchased from La Cie de Nav.Rimouski-Saguenay Ltee., 1938 sold. 85
Matane I 1938 1946 renamed Matane, 1964 sold to Newport News SB & DD Co., renamed Prospector. 470
Marco Polo 1920 ex-Vita, 1930 purchased from St.Lawrence Transport Co., Montreal, 1940 sold to Le Magasin General Ltee., Cap Chat, Que. 141
Mayita 1899 1929 purchased from Jos.A.Fafard, Quebec, 1932 sold. 112
Pere Arnaud 1932 1936 purchased, 1944 sold to Maple Leaf SS Co., Montreal. 252
Rimouski 1939 1961 sold to Pomeroy Shipping Co., Nassau renamed Bahama Venture, 1965 sold to General Dynamics Corp, Groton, Conn. renamed Sea Surveyor. 348
Ungava 1942 ex- MS192 minesweeper, 1945 purchased, 1960 transferred to Ungava Transports Ltee, 1966 sold. 199

LA CIE DE TRAVERSE RIVIERE-DU-LOUP - TADOUSSAC LTEE (1930-1940)
changed to
LA TRAVERSE RIVIERE-DU-LOUP - ST.SIMEON LTEE (1940)

The company was formed to operate a cross river ferry service between Rivière-du-Loup and Tadoussac, changed to St.Simeon in 1939.

Vessel

Built

Years of Service

Tons

Radisson 1954 1974 purchased. 1,149
Rivière-du-Loup (1) 1902 ex- Brandon, Old Dominion SS Co., New York, later became Yonda L for Quebec & St.Lawrence Nav. Co., 1930 purchased renamed Rivere-Du-Loup, 1939 renamed Simeon. 1945 sold, 1968 scrapped. 1,650
Rivière-du-Loup (2) 1925 ex- L'Ile D'Orleans, 1939 purchased from La Traverse de L'Isle d'Orleans Ltee., Que. renamed Riviere-Du-Loup, 1965 sold to Navigation Voyageur Inc., Montreal, renamed La Madelon II, 1969 sank at Montreal. 1,491
Simeon   see Rivière-du-Loup (1)  
Trans-St-Laurent 1963   2,173

LA CIE DE NAVIGATION CHARLEVOIX - SAGUENAY LTEE. (1938-)

The company ran ferry service between Baie Ste.Catherine and Tadoussac.

Vessel

Built

Years of Service

Tons

Charlevoix 1962   535
Jacques Cartier 1924 1940 purchased, 1967 sold to Cartier Nav.Co., Montreal, 1969 sold to Neree Harvey, Ile-Aux-Coudres, Que. 228
Le Sorelois 1899 built in 1899 as HCM No.16 for Montreal Harbour Commission, later renamed La Fayette, 1956 purchased from La Cie de Traverse de St.Laurent, Sorel, 1959 sold. 157
Louis Herbert n/a ex- Adam, 1941 purchased renamed Louis Herbert, 1943 sold to Maple Leaf SS Co., Montreal. 247
Pierre de Saurel 1957 1974 purchased. 538
Saguenay 1958   429

MAGDALEN ISLANDS TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, LIMITED (1945-70)

The Magdalen Islands Transportation Company, Limited, operated passenger and cargo services of the former Lovat Steamship Company from Pictou and Charlottetown to the Magdalen Islands. In 1970 the service was taken over by Canadian Ministry of Transport.

Vessel

Built

Years of Service

Tons

Magdalen 1924

ex- Lovat, 1945 purchased from Lovat SS Co., Halifax, NS, renamed Magdalen. 1962 sold.

830
North Gaspé 1938 see Clarke SS Co. 886

UNGAVA TRANSPORTS LTEE (1960-1969)

The company ran ferry service between Ste.Anne-des-Monts and Sept-Îles. Service was terminated in 1969.

Vessel

Built

Years of Service

Tons

Gaspesien 1945

built as aircraft transport HMS ROC, 1960 purchased, 1969 sold to North Shipping & Transportation, Quebec converted to cargo ship.

837
Ungava 1942 see Lower St.Lawrence Transportation Co. 199

Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: November 13, 2005 and maintained by and M. Kohli