FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

American Export Lines Inc. —: 1919 Export Steamship Corporation Inc. / 1936 American Export Lines Inc. / 1962 American Export & Isbrandtsen Lines Inc. / 1963 American Export Isbrandtsen Lines Inc. / 1973 American Export Lines Inc.

American Export Lines, New York, was the biggest US-flag shipping company between the US east coast and the Mediterranean from 1919 to 1977, offering both cargo ship services and passenger ship services, until declaring bankruptcy and was acquired by Farrell Lines, New York.

The Export Steamship Corporation Inc. was founded in January 1919 under the laws of the State of New York. The first Export transatlantic sailing was undertaken by the 3,274 ton chartered freighter MILLINOCKET, which left New York on 16 May 1919 for Antwerp. The Export Steamship Corporation is often regarded as having run exclusively between the USA and the Mediterranean but, in fact, its first few sailings were all to Northern Europe. The first Mediterranean voyage was taken by the LAKE FESTINA, a brand new ship built at Toledo, Ohio, hence her sailing on 26 July from Montreal for Gibraltar, Piraeus and the Black Sea.

The 4,969 ton HOG ISLAND, newly completed by the American International Shipbuilding Corporation of Hog Island, Pennsylvania, reached New York in ballast on 19 October 1919 from Philadelphia. She sailed again on 26 November for Gibraltar and Piraeus, and was the first of a fleet HOG ISLAND freighters to run for the Company. By degrees all the smaller ships were withdrawn. The Company received its first subsidy in 1925 in return for an undertaking to operate 60 or more sailings a year from America to the Mediterranean and the director Henry Herbermann purchased sixteen HOG ISLANDERS and two other ships from the United States Shipping Board for a purchase prise of $ 1,062,000. It became effective with the departure of the COEUR D'ALENE from New York on 25 August. At about the same time, the description American Export Lines came into popular use, although the official title was still Export Steamship Corporation. By 1928 the Company had the largest privately owned American flag fleet in the North Atlantic trade, with 22 ships.

Henry Herbermann, president of the line, announced on 3 August 1928 that for the sake of uniformity it had been decided to give all the ships names bearing the prefix EX. The first to be renamed were THE LAMBS, which became the EXPORTER, and the HOG ISLAND, which became the EXPRESS. In accordance with the Merchant Marine Act of 1928, the Company was simultaneously awarded a ten year mail contract at increased remuneration.

A few weeks later the Company proposed to build four passenger and cargo vessels for a new mail service from New York to the Mediterranean, and a loan of 75 per cent of their cost having been approved by the United States Shipping Board. Hitherto, the American Export ships had carried a maximum of 12 passengers, and as an indication of their new policy two of the existing fleet, the EXARCH and EXCELSIOR, were converted to carry 37 passengers, all in outside cabins on the bridge deck. The dining saloons were enlarged, and the ships were fitted with lounges and smoking rooms. The EXCELSIOR was ready in time to sail from New York on 21 May 1929 and the EXARCH on 4 July. A third ship, the EXILONA, was also converted and left on 10 October. These round voyages occupied about 75 days, the fare was from $375 and sailings were approximately once a month. There was no fixed itinerary. On the first of two typical occasions, calls were made at Gibraltar, Malta, Alexandria, Jaffa, Haifa and Beirut, and on the second at Gibraltar, Piraeus, Salonika, Constantinople and Constanza.

In March 1934 the United States Commerce Department demanded a complete reorganisation of the Export Steamship Corporation, the first step being the resignation of Henry Herbermann from the presidency. A year later, the New York Shipbuilding Corporation, builders of the FOUR ACES and holders of a controlling interest in the Company, sold this interest to a syndicate which included Lehman Brothers and Thomas L. Chadbourne. Finally, a new company,American Export Lines Inc. was formed in August 1936.

In April 1946 American Export announced their first post-war schedule of passenger sailings to Mediterranean ports by the 24,469 ton motorship VULCANIA, built in 1927 for the Cosulich Line and later incorporated into Italia, and the C-4 type vessels MARINE SHARK and MARINE CARP. The VULCANIA was, in fact, already engaged in her first commercial voyage for the Company, her sixth and last ending at New York on 1 November 1946. A fortnight later, she and her sister ship, the SATURNIA, which had been laid up at New York for several months, were handed back to Italy. Subsequent sailings were under the auspices of Italia, who appointed American Export as their American agents.

It was announced in November 1947 that the Company was planning to build two 23,000 ton express liners for a new service between New York, Naples, Cannes and Genoa, a route that would undoubtedly compete with Italia, provided the Maritime Commission agreed to put up the full 50 per cent construction subsidy allowable under the 1936 Merchant Marine Act. In addition, work had already started on the rebuilding of four smaller 'ACE' type passenger ships, which had been built by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation's Sparrow Point yard to American Export specifications, and subsequently taken over by the US Navy as attack-cargo vessels.
The 23,719 ton INDEPENDENCE and CONSTITUTION, named after two of the American Navy's most famous sailing ships of the war of 1812, were built by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation at Quincy, Massachusetts. They were twin-screw ships propelled by double-reduction geared turbines at a service speed of 23 knots, and could accommodate 295 first class, 375 cabin and 330 tourist passengers.

Late in 1960 the American Export Isbrandtsen Lines entered into an agreement with the United States Maritime Commision to operate the nuclear powered SAVANNAH built in 1962. The Savannah was not a big success, on no occasion did the passenger lists exceed 25 and in 1965 she became a pure cargo freighter. The Savannah was refuelled in 1968 after four years of service but she was not a big succes. The SAVANNAH was laid up at Savannah on 10 January 1972 after her nuclear core was removed in 1971. It was announced in October 1960 that the Isbrandtsen Company Inc., of New York, had acquired a controlling interest in American Export Lines by buying the holdings of Mr & Mrs C. Michael Paul. In October 1962 the new title American Export & Isbrandtsen Lines came into use, amended a year or so later to American Export Isbrandtsen Lines Inc. A new houseflag was introduced at this time to denote the change of ownership.

The Isbrandtsen interests withdrew from American Export in 1973, and the Company's title again became American Export Lines Inc.

The American Export Lines were acquired on 28 March 1978 by FARRELL LINES INC of New York, a line dating back to 1926 and running services from East and Gulf Coasts of the USA to West, South and East Africa and to Australia and New Zealand. And from North Pacific Coast ports to Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific. As a result, Farrell Lines became the largest privately-owned shipping company in the United States. The name American Export Lines has largely been dropped from advertisements, but the description American Export Service is retained in connection with Farrell services from East Coast ports of the USA to the Mediterranean, to the United Kingdom and to Northern Europe.

Farrell Lines was acquired by Royal P&O Nedlloyd in July 2000, in turn, the Royal P&O Nedlloyd was acquired by A.P. Moller-Maersk Group in August 2005.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Abbreviations:
      • Marad :      U.S. Maritime Administration

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet: 1919-1962 1962-1977 1929-1962 1962-1964 1973-1977
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Atlantic 1953 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Penn. | ex- Badger Mariner C4 type cargo ship, ex- Atlantic 1958, 1960 purchased from American Banner Lines not renamed, 1968 laid up, 1971 sold to C.Y. Tung renamed Universe Campus, 1976 renamed Universe, 1996 scrapped. 18,100
Blair 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Blair built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exchange, 1939 renamed Exilona, 1945 Lend Leased to USSR renamed Riga, 1961 withdrawn from service and transferred for scrapping. 5,784
Blue Triangle 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Blue Triangle built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exmouth, 1944 struck British mines south of Fife Ness and sank. 5,620
Carenco 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Carenco built for United States Shipping Board, 1924 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Executive, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-255 with the loss of 9 lives in Murmansk Convoy RA 53. 5,543
City of St. Joseph 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- City of St. Joseph built for United States Shipping Board, 1924 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Extavia, 1941 renamed Exmoor, 1942 sunk by Japanese warships in the Bay of Bengal. 5,590
Clontarf 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Clontarf built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exermont, 1940 sold to Compania Internacional, Panama renamed Ann Skakel, 1940 renamed Lebu on charter, 1941 renamed Ann Skakel, 1947 scrapped with the name Lebu still on her hull. 5,590
Coeur D’Alene 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Coeur D’Alene built for United States Shipping Board, 1924 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Examelia, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-68 off Cape Agulhas with the loss of 11 lives. 5,590
Constitution 1951 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | 1968 laid up, 1974 sold to C.Y. Tung, Hong Kong renamed Oceanic Constitution, 1980 transferred to American Hawaii Cruises, 1982 renamed Constitution, 1995 laid up, 1997 sank in tow for breakers. 23,719
Corson 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Corson built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exiria, 1941 renamed Exchester, 1946 renamed Exmoor, 1946 sold to Parry Nav. Company renamed Esther,1947 sold to Montijo Company, Panama renamed Meridian, 1953 scrapped. 5,561
CV Staghound 1969 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Me. | 1978 to Farrell Lines, to RRF 1988 as Cornhusker State. 17,902
Defiance 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Mormacsea, 1970 purchased from Moore McCormack renamed Defiance, 1978 to Farrell Lines. 11,757
Examelia   see Coeur D’Alene.  
Examiner (1)   see Sinsinawa.  
Examiner (2) 1940 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1958 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1970 scrapped. 6,736
Exanthia (1) 1920 built by Newburgh Shipyards Inc., Newburgh, New York | ex- Half Moon built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exanthia, 1934 sold to Union Sulphur Co. renamed W.R. Keever, 1945 Lend Leased to USSR renamed Cheliabinsk. 1956 withdrawn from service and transferred for scrapping. 5,675
Exanthia (2) 1941 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Maine. | Standard ship type C2-S-A1, 1959 to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1975 scrapped. 6,353
Exarch 1920 built by Merchant Shipbuilding Corp., Harriman, Pa | ex- Naamhok built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exarch, 1937 sold to Waterman Steamship Corp. renamed Bienville, 1942 damaged by Japanese aircraft and sunk by gunfire by Japanese cruiser in Bay of Bengal. 5,977
Exbrook 1946 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1975 sold renamed Brook, 1976 scrapped. 7,047
Excalibur (1) 1931 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | 1941 to US Navy renamed Joseph Hewes, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-173 off Casablanca. 9,359
Excalibur (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | ex- Dutchess built for US Navy standard ship type C3, 1947 purchased renamed Excalibur, 1965 sold to Orient Overseas Line renamed Oriental Jade, 1974 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 9,644
Excambion (1) 1931 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | 1941 to US Navy renamed John Penn, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by Japanese torpedo bomber off Guadalcanal. 9,359
Excambion (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | ex- Queens built for US Navy standard ship type C3, 1947 purchased renamed Excambion, 1959 laid up, 1965 sold to State of Texas renamed Texas Clipper, 1994 laid up, 1997 renamed Texas Clipper II. 9,644
Excellency (1)   see Liberty Land.  
Excellency (2)   see Sawokla.  
Excellency (3)   see Executor (1).  
Exceller 1941 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Maine. | 1964 scrapped. 6,353
Excello (1)   see Luxpalile.  
Excello (2)   see Sinsinawa.  
Excelsior (1) 1920 built by Merchant Shipbuilding Corp., Harriman, Pa | ex- Waterbury built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 renamed Excelsior, 1937 sold to Waterman Steamship Corp. renamed Azalea City, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-432. 5,847
Excelsior (2)   see Unicoi.  
Excelsior (3) 1942 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1942 taken over by US Navy and completed as a troop transport renamed Windsor, 1947 Paul Revere, 1949 to AEL renamed Expeditor, 1972 scrapped. 7,052
Excelsior (4) 1943 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1970 sold renamed Celsior, 1970 scrapped. 7,773
Exchange (1)   see Blair.  
Exchange (2) 1940 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1964 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1970 scrapped. 6,736
Exchequer (1) 1940 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Standard ship type C3, 1940 to US Navy converted into a seaplane tender renamed Pocomoke, 1946 laid up, 1962 scrapped. 7,898
Exchequer (2) 1932 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1942 taken over by US Navy and completed as a troop transport renamed Leedstown, 1947 Minute Man, 1949 to AEL renamed Exilona, 1970 sold renamed Ilona, 1970 scrapped. 7,052
Exchequer (3) 1943 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1970 sold renamed Chequer, 1970 scrapped. 6,736
Exchester (1)   see Winona.  
Exchester (2) 1940 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Standard ship type C3, 1940 to Moore McCormack renamed Mormacmoon, 1958 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1961 Wabash, 1965 Evanthie, 1969 scrapped at Hong Kong. 7,939
Exchester (3)   see Corson.  
Exchester (4) 1944 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1944 taken over by US Navy and completed as a troop transport renamed Adair, 1947 to AEL renamed Express, 1970 sold renamed Press, 1970 scrapped. 7,052
Exchester (5) 1945 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,773
Executive   see Carenco.  
Executor (1) 1941 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1941 to US Navy renamed USS Almaack, 1946 reverted to AEL renamed Executor, 1946 renamed Bunker Hill, 1949 renamed Excellency, 1961 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1970 scrapped. 6,736
Executor (2) 1945 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1975 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Ines, 1976 scrapped. 7,052
Exemplar 1941 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1941 to British Ministry of War Transport renamed Empire Widgeon, 1942 reverted to USA renamed Exemplar, 1942 to US Navy renamed USS Dorothea L. Dix, 1946 reverted to AEL renamed Exemplar, 1968 scrapped. 6,736
Exermont (1)   see Clontarf.  
Exermont (2)   see Exporter (1).  
Exeter (1) 1931 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | 1941 to US Navy renamed Edward Rutledge, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-130 of Casablanca. 9,360
Exeter (2) 1945 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | ex- Shelby built for US Navy standard ship type C3, 1947 purchased renamed Exeter, 1965 sold to Orient Overseas Line renamed Oriental Pearl, 1974 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 9,644
Exford (1)   see Hog Island.  
Exford (2) 1946 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1976 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,047
Exhibitor (1)   see Saucon.  
Exhibitor (2) 1941 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1961 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1971 scrapped. 6,736
Exilona (1) 1919 built by Merchant Shipbuilding Corp., Harriman, Pa | ex- Delanson built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exilona, 1937 sold to Shepard SS Co., Portland, Maine and renamed Sea Thrush, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-505 of St. Thomas. 5,839
Exilona (2)   see Blair.  
Exilona (3)   see Exchequer (2).  
Exiria (1)   see Corson.  
Exiria (2) 1942 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Maine. | Standard ship type C2-S-A1, 1968 scrapped at Valencia. 6,353
Exminster (1)   see Saugus.  
Exminster (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3,1969 sprang leak in engine room and scrapped at Alicante. 7,052
Exmoor (1)   see Nobles.  
Exmoor (2)   see City of St. Joseph.  
Exmoor (3)   see Corson.  
Exmouth (1)   see Blue Triangle.  
Exmouth (2) 1945 built by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp.,Portland, Oregon| ex- Terre Haute Victory standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commision, 1948 purchased renamed Exmouth, 1958 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1972 scrapped. 7,612
Exochorda (1) 1931 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | 1940 sold to US Navy renamed Harry Lee, 1946 renamed Exochorda, 1946 sold to Turkish State Maritime Line renamed Tarsus, 1960 gutted by fire and scrapped. 9,360
Exochorda (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | ex- Dauphin built for US Navy standard ship type C3, 1947 purchased renamed Exochorda, 1960 laid up, 1967 used as a accommodation ship renamed Stevens at Hoboken, 1975 scrapped at Chester. 9,644
Expeditor   see Excelsior (3).  
Explorer 1939 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1961 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1969 scrapped. 6,736
Export Adventurer 1960 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1981 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Adventurer. 10,366
Export Agent 1960 built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1980 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Agent. 10,640
Export Aide 1961 built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1980 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Aide. 10,640
Export Ambassador 1961 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1981 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Ambassador. 10,366
Export Banner 1961 built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1982 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Banner. 11,140
Export Bay 1961 built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1984 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Bay. 11,140
Export Builder 1962 built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1984 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Builder. 11,140
Export Buyer 1962 built by National Steel and Shipbuilding Company, San Diego | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1980 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Buyer. 11,140
Export Challenger 1963 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Penn | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1983 laid up in Reserve Fleet not renamed. 11,420
Export Champion 1963 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Penn | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1983 laid up in Reserve Fleet and scrapped. 11,420
Export Commerce 1963 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Penn | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1983 laid up in Reserve Fleet not renamed. 11,420
Export Courier 1962 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Chester, Penn | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1983 laid up in Reserve Fleet renamed Courier. 11,420
Export Defender 1954 built by Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Virginia | ex- Cracker State Mariner, ex- President Coolidge 1956, 1974 purchased from American President Lines renamed Export Defender, 1978 to US Government ( Marad) renamed Cracker State Mariner and laid up, 1992 scrapped at Alang. 9,069
Export Democracy 1952 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Lone Star Mariner, ex- President Arthur 1959, 1974 purchased from American President Lines renamed Export Democracy, 1978 to US Government ( Marad) renamed Lone Star Mariner and laid up. 8,995
Export Diplomat 1952 built by Newport News Shipbuilding Co., Newport News, Virginia | ex- Old Dominion Mariner, ex- President Hayes 1955, 1975 purchased from American President Lines renamed Export Diplomat, 1978 to US Government ( Marad) renamed Old Dominion Mariner and laid up. 9,069
Export Freedom 1972 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Maine. | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1998 scrapped. 17,904
Export Leader 1973 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Maine. | 1988 in reserve as Gopher State. 17,904
Export Patriot 1973 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Maine. | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1998 scrapped. 17,900
Exporter (1) 1939 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1941 to US Navy renamed USS Hercules, 1946 reverted to AEL renamed Exporter, 1947 renamed Bostonian, 1949 renamed Exermont, 1958 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1971 scrapped.. 6,736
Exporter (2) 1945 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Sparrow’s Point, Md | Standard ship type C3-S-A3, 1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,051
Expositor   see Saucon.  
Express (1)   see Hog Island.  
Express (2) 1941 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | Standard ship type C3-E, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by Japanese submarine I 10 off Madagascar with the loss of 14 lives. 6,736
Express (3)   see Exchester (4).  
Extavia   see City of St. Joseph.  
Extavia (1)   see City of St. Joseph.  
Extavia (2) 1941 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Me. | Standardship type C2-S-A1, 1942 to British Ministry of War Transport renamed Empire Oriole, 1942 reverted to USA renamed Extavia, 1946 returned to AEL not renamed, 1968 scrapped at Alicante. 6,353
Exton (1)   see Sangamon.  
Exton (2)   see New Orleans.  
Exton (3) 1944 built by Permanente Metals Corp., Shipbuilding Division Yard No1, Richmond, Cal. | ex- Honduras Victory standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commision, 1948 purchased renamed Exton, 1958 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1971 scrapped. 7,612
Great Republic 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Mormacsky, 1970 purchased from Moore McCormack renamed Great Republic, 1978 to Farrell Lines, to US Government renamed T-AVB 2 Curtiss. 11,757
Hog Island 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Hog Island built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Express, 1940 renamed Exford, 1944 sunk as a block ship off Normandy. 5,590
Independence 1951 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Quincy, Mass. | 1969 laid up, 1974 sold to C.Y. Tung, Hong Kong renamed Oceanic Independence, 1976 laid up as Sea Luck I, 1980 transferred to American Hawaii Cruises renamed Oceanic Independence, 2001 laid up, 2003 sold to Norwegian Cruise Line. 23,719
Lake Festina 1919 built by American Shipbuilding Co., Toledo Built for United States Shipping Board, | 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1929 sold to Russia renamed Samoied, 1945 renamed Pugachev 1960 deleted from Lloyds Register. 2,615
Lake Fiscus 1919 built by Globe SB Co., Superior, Wisc. U.S. Shipping Board, New York. | 1930 scrapped at Baltimore. 2,713
Lake Frumet 1919 built by American Shipbuilding Co., Lorrain. Built U.S. Shipping Board, N.Y., | 1925 sold to Ford Motor Corp., 1927 converted to barge, 1948 sold to Eastern Transportation Co, N.Y., 1951 Sheridan Nav. Co, Philadelphia, 1953 scrapped. 2,609
Lake Grampus 1919 built by American Shipbuilding Co., Chicago Built for United States Shipping Board, | 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1927 scrapped at River Rouge, Mich. by Ford Motor Co. 2,615
Liberty Land 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Liberty Land built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Excellency, 1936 sold to Moore McCormack renamed Southland, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Commandante Lyra, 1959 damaged by fire, abandoned and drifted ashore – total loss. 5,052
Lightning 1968 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Me. | 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1988 to RRF as Flickertail State. 17,902
Luxpalile 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Luxpalile built for United States Shipping Board, 1924 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Excello, 1940 sold to States Marine Lines renamed Wolverine, 1947 sold to General Shipping Co., c/o States Marine Corp., Panama renamed Ocean Rover, 1949 sold renamed Sadikli, 1950 sold to Riza ve Arslan Sadikoglu ve Ortaklari Komandit Sirketi Istanbul, Turkey renamed Atlantik, 1953 scrapped. 5,753
New Orleans 1920 built by Doullut & Williams Shipbuilding Co., Inc., New Orleans | 1939 taken over with part of American Pioneer Line, 1940 renamed Exton, 1941 renamed New Orleans, 1946 scrapped. 6,172
Nobles 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Nobles built for United States Shipping Board, 1924 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exmoor, 1940 sold to Seven Seas Shipping Company renamed Robin Moor, 1941 torpedoed shelled and sunk by German submarine U-69 west of Freetown. 5,562
Red Jacket 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Mormacstar, 1970 purchased from Moore McCormack renamed Red Jacket, 1978 to Farrell Lines,to NDRF renamed Cape Nome. 11,757
Sangamon 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Sangamon built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exton, 1936 sold to Moore McCormack renamed Southerner, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Imediato Joao Silva, 1955 scrapped. 5,784
Saucon 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Saucon built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exhibitor, 1940 renamed Expositor, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-303 off Newfoundland with the loss of 6 lives. 5,784
Saugus 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Saugus built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exminster, 1946 scrapped. 5,592
Sawokla 1920 built by O. Daniels Shipbuilding Co., Tampa, Florida | 1939 taken over with part of American Pioneer Line, 1940 renamed Excellency, 1941 renamed Sawokla, 1942 shelled and sunk by German Aux. Cruiser Michel. 5,882
Sea Witch 1968 built by Bath Ironworks Corp, Bath, Me. | 1974 lost. 17,902
Sinsinawa 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Sinsinawa built for United States Shipping Board, 1924 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Examiner, 1940 renamed Excello, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-181 with the loss of 2 lives. 5,590
Unicoi 1920 built by O. Daniels Shipbuilding Co., Tampa, Florida | 1939 taken over with part of American Pioneer Line, 1940 renamed Excelsior, 1942 renamed Unicoi. 1945 to U.S. Navy as transport, 1946 to U.S. War Shipping Admin., 1948 scrapped. 5,873
Ward 1921 built by Doullut & Williams Shipbuilding Co., Inc., New Orleans | 1939 taken over with part of American Pioneer Line, 1940 renamed Exton 1942 renamed Ward for U.S. War Shipping Admin (American Export Lines, managers). 1944 renamed SUPPLY for U.S. Navy, converted to aviation stores ship, 1946 renamed WARD for Marad, 1948 scrapped. 6,167
Winona 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Winona built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased, 1928 renamed Exchester, 1940 sold to Algeo renamed Patricia Skakel, 1943 renamed Tubul on charter, 1946 renamed Patricia Skakel, 1947 scrapped at Wilmington. 5,590
Young America 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Mormacsun, 1970 purchased from Moore McCormack renamed Young America, 1978 to Farrell Lines, to US Government renamed T-AVB 1 Wright. 11,757
    Chartered or Managed Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Faraby 1918 built by Submarine Boat Co, Newark, N.J. | May 1919 assigned to Export S.S. Co. to carry food to Europe for the American Relief Administration, 1921 transferred to J. H. Winchester & Co., 1922 laid up. 1926 sold to Ford Motor Corp and scrapped. 3,659
La Guardia 1944 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co., Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type P2-S2-R2, 1948 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, rebuilt renamed La Guardia, 1951 reverted to USMC and laid up, 1955 sold to Hawaiian Steam Ship Co., renamed Leilani, 1958 laid up, 1960 sold to American President Lines and rebuilt renamed President Roosevelt, 1970 sold to Chandris, Greece renamed Atlantis, 1972 sold to Eastern Steamship Lines, Panama renamed Emerald Seas, 1992 renamed Funtastica, 1992 renamed Terrifica, 1992 sold to Seafest Cruises, Liberia renamed Sapphire Seas, 1994 laid up, 1998 used as a hotelship, 1998 sold renamed Ocean Explorer I, 2004 scrapped as Explorer. 17,951
Marine Carp 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Vancouver, Washington | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1949 returned to owner, 1949 laid up, 1967 converted into a cargo vessel renamed Green Springs, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 12,420
Marine Flasher 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Vancouver, Washington | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1946 returned to owner, 1949 laid up, 1967 converted into a container vessel renamed Long Beach, 1988 stranded and lost near San Juan. 12,420
Marine Jumper 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Vancouver, Washington | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1946 returned to owner, 1949 laid up, 1967 converted into a container vessel renamed Panama, 1987 scrapped in Taiwan. 12,420
Marine Perch 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Richmond, California | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1948 returned to owner, 1948 laid up, 1965 converted into a bulk carrier renamed Yellostone, 1978 sank after collision off Gibraltar. 12,410
Marine Shark 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Vancouver, Washington | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1949 returned to owner, 1949 laid up, 1967 converted into a container vessel renamed Charleston, 1984 laid up, 1986 scrapped at Brownsville. 12,558
Millinocket 1910 built by Maryland Steel Co, Sparrows Point, Md | 1919 chartered from A. H. Bull S.S. Co., New York. 18th June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by U.129 in 23.12N 79.28W on voyage St. Thomas - Mobile with bauxite. 3,336
Savannah 1964 built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden | Nuclear powered, 1972 laid up at Savannah, 1981 museum ship at Charleston S.C., 1994 laid up in James River. 15,585
Siboney 1917 built by W. Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia | 1940 chartered from Ward Line, 1941 to US Government used as a troopship, 1944 converted into a hospital ship renamed Charles A. Stafford, 1957 scrapped. 7,582
Vulcania 1926 built by Cantiere Navale Triestino, Monfalcone | 1946 chartered from Cosulich, Italia, 1946 returned to owner, 1965 sold to Sicula Oceanica Societa Anonima renamed Caribia, 1972 laid up, 1973 scrapped. 24,469

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: March 01, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli