FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

American Scantic Line

In April 1918, during World War I, the United States Shipping Board began liner services to Scandinavian and Baltic Ports under the name of the American Scantic Line. These routes were operated with tonnage owned by the US Government and managed by Moore & McCormack. Moore & McCormack Company was formed the in 1913 by Albert V. Moore of Hackensack, N.J. and Emmet J. McCormack of Brooklyn, N.Y.

In 1927 Moore & McCormack purchased the American Scantic Line with six Hog Island built ships from the United States Shipping Board. Later this trade was expanded to include Russian and Polish ports. The contract was that Moore & McCormack provided a service for ten years to the Scandinavian and Baltic ports. Four ships were transformed in 1932 from standard freighters with limited passenger accommodation to passenger cargo ships with accommodation for seventy two passengers. Those ships were the BIRD CITY, SCHENECTADY, CHICKASAW and SAGUACHE (SCANPENN, SCANYORK, SCANMAIL and SCANSTATES).

The American Scantic Line was involved in the establishment of a Caribbean passenger cargo service in conjunction with the Alcoa owned Ocean Dominion Steamship Company in 1934. Two vessels the ORITANI and ORMES began that service in September 1934. The SCANMAIL began American Caribbean services on October 19, 1944 followed by the SCANPENN in November 1934. In the spring of 1935 the SCANMAIL returned to the American Scantic Line and in 1937 the SCANPENN with the ending of agreement with the Ocean Dominion Steamship Company.

Early in 1938 most of the American Scantic Line’s cargo ships were renamed with the MORMAC prefix.

In August 1945 a new freight service was started by the American Scantic Line between Philadelphia, Gothenburg, Stockholm and Helsinki and by March 1946 the company was running a weekly service from New York to Norwegian, Swedish and Baltic Ports by cargo ships carrying twelve passengers. Also, in 1946 a C4 cargo vessel the MARINE PERCH converted for troop carrying was chartered for four voyage from New York to Oslo, Norway and Gothenburg, Sweden with the last two voyages in conjunction with the United States Lines with an extra call at Bremen, Germany. The MARINE PERCH was transferred to the American Export Lines and in her place a similar ship the MARINE JUMPER was chartered together with the United States Lines, her sister ERNIE PYLE took also two voyages to Europe in the Autumn of 1947.

After World War II Moore & McCormack concentrated on a fleet of American built standard ships with accommodation for twelve passengers. Moore & McCormack expanded the vital Scantic route in November of 1962, when Rotterdam and Antwerp were added to the ports of call for the Company‘s newest cargo liners. These ports give the Company access to the heavy traffic generated in and out of the Benelux countries and the Rhineland and made good in some degree post-war losses in shipments from Eastern Europe. Complementing the Scantic service, the luxury liners Argentina and Brazil made special spring and summer cruises to Scandinavia, the Baltic, Russia and Northern Europe.

Cargoes and passengers were declining and 1965 the American Scantic Line’s service was stopped by Moore & McCormack. Moore & McCormack missed like a lot of other American Shipping Companies the containerisation in the sixties and was taken over by Malcolm Mclean of the United States Line in 1982.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • 1927: New York, Copenhagen, Helsinki
    • 1937: New York, Gothenburg, Copenhagen, Gdynia, Stockholm, Helsinki.
               Return voyages: Helsinki, Leningrad, Gdynia, Copenhagen, New York
    • 1949: U.S. East Coast ports, Norwegian ports, Swedish ports, Danish ports, Polish ports, Finnish Ports.
    • 1962: U.S. East Coast ports, Norwegian ports, Swedish ports, Danish ports, Polish ports, Finnish Ports, Rotterdam, Antwerp.
Marad = U.S. Maritime Administration

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Argosy 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Launched as Cassanova but completed as Argosy built for United States Shipping Board, 1926 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1938 renamed Mormacsun, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Goncalves Dias, 24.5.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.502. 5,620
Bellbuckle 1919 built by Federal Shipbuilding Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1939 scrapped in Germany. 6,207
Bird City 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Shepaug but completed as Bird City built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanpenn, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Buarque, 1.2.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.432 off Cape Hatteras. 5,562
Carplaka 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased not renamed, 1936 transferred to Mooremack Gulf Lines renamed Southlure, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Tiradentes, 13.2.1945 lost in a collision. 5,620
Casper 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Shebamock but completed as Casper built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 14.12.1928 wrecked off Helsinki. 5,753
Chickasaw 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Laid down as Clairette but completed as Chickasaw built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanmail, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Cayru, 8.3.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.94 south off Long Island. 5,590
City of Fairbury 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Sheshequin but completed as City of Fairbury built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1938 renamed Mormacport, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Tamandare, 16.7.1972 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.66. 5,753
Cliffwood 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased not renamed, 1939 renamed Mormacsea, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Commandante Pessoa, 1954 wrecked near Cabo Sao Roque. 4,955
Conehatta 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased not renamed, 1.11.1929 wrecked near Hornefos, Sweden. 5,620
Donald McKay 1939 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C2, 1.1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Polaris, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission reverted to Donald McKay, 1948 reacquired by US Navy, 1957 to Marad Reserve, Suisun Bay, 9.1974 sold for demolition at Oakland, Cal. 6,160
Flying Fish 1940 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C2, 1940 renamed Mormacswan, 1958 to Marad Reserve, Hudson River, 2.1971 scrapped at Bilbao. 6,160
Minnequa 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Shinnecock but completed as Minnequa built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 purchased not renamed, 1938 renamed Mormacstar, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Barroso, 1960ís scrapped. 5,165
Mormacdale 1942 built by Pennsylvania Shipyards Inc., Beamont, Texas | Standard ship type C1-A, 1959 to Marad Reserve, James River, 2.1975 scrapped at Philadelphia. 6,759
Mormacdawn 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Gull, 2.1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacgulf 1945 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 8.1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormachawk 1939 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C2, 1.1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Arcturus, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1947 Star Arcturus, 9.1971 scrapped at Tadotsu. 6,160
Mormacisle 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Ibis, 5.1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacland 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Swan, 2.1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacmail 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | 1941 converted to U.S. Navy escort aircraft carrier renamed USS LONG ISLAND. 1948 sold to Caribbean Land & Shipping Corp, Panama. Converted to passenger ship, renamed NELLY, 1953 renamed SEVEN SEAS. 1956 sold to Europe-Canada Line, Bremen. 1966 converted to accommodation ship at Rotterdam, 1977 scrapped. 7,886
Mormacmail 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to States Marine International Inc., New York renamed North Star State, 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacpenn 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Laid down as Sea Swallow, 1940 to U.S. Navy renamed USS GRIFFIN, 1973 scrapped at Portland, Ore. 7,898
Mormacpenn 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Lark, 4.1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacport   see City of Fairbury.  
Mormacsaga 1947 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Dove, 2.4.1973 sank in Pacific. 7,909
Mormacsea   see Cliffwood.  
Mormacstar   see Minnequa.  
Mormacsun (1)   see Argosy.  
Mormacsun (2) 1941 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | Standard ship type C3-M, 9.1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship by US Navy renamed Florence Nightingale, 5.1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1946 back in service for ASL, 1953 sold renamed Japan Transport, 1958 to States S.S. Co., San Francisco, 1960 renamed Texas, 1966 to Marad, 11.1970 scrapped at Portland, Ore. 7,898
Mormacswan   see Flying Fish.  
Mormactide (1)   see Sagaporack.  
Mormactide (2) 1941 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3, 9.1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship by US Navy renamed Lyon, 5.1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1946 back in service for ASL, 1967 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Regina, 1.1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,954
Mormacwren 1939 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C2, 1.1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Algorab, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1947 sold renamed Kamran, 1948 sold renamed Mongala, 1954 sold renamed Hellenic Sailor, 12.1973 scrapped as Aloha. 6,160
Mormacyork (1) 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C3, 1940 taken over by US Navy and converted into a submarine tender renamed Pelias, 9.1946 to USN Reserve, 11.1973 scrapped at Portland, Ore. 7,898
Mormacyork (2) 1941 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C3, 9.1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship by US Navy renamed Anne Arundel, 1946 back in service for ASL, 1958 to Marad Reserve, 8.1970 scrapped at Spezia. 7,898
Natirar 1920 built by Bethlehem S.B. Corp, Wilmington, Del. | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1932 sold to A. H. Bull S.S. Co., New York renamed Rosario, 21st Feb.1943 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic. 4,659
Sagaporack 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1926 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1939 renamed Mormactide, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Midosi, 1960ís scrapped. 5,784
Saguache 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanstates, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Cantauria, 1964 scrapped. 5,697
Scanmail   see Chickasaw.  
Scanpenn   see Bird City.  
Scanstates   see Saguache.  
Scantic 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 assigned to ASL, 1930 purchased not renamed, 1936 damaged by fire while undergoing installation of refrigerating machinery, repaired and returned to service, 1936 transferred to Mooremack Gulf Lines renamed Southfolk, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Rio Branco, 1945 renamed Barao De Rio Branco, 1960ís scrapped. 5,784
Scanyork   see Schenectady.  
Schenectady 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1926 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanyork, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Maua, 1952 wrecked in the Amazon Delta. 5,784
Southerner 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Sangamon built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased Export Steamship Corp., 1928 renamed Exton, 1936 purchased by Moore McCormack and transferred to ASL renamed Southerner, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Imediato Joao Silva, 1955 scrapped. 5,784
Southland 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Liberty Land built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased by Export Steamship Corp., 1928 renamed Excellency, 1936 purchased by Moore McCormack and transferred to ASL renamed Southland, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Commandante Lyra, 1959 damaged by fire and scrapped. 5,052
    Chartered Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Ernie Pyle 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Vancouver, Washington | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1947 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1947 returned to owner, 1949 laid up, 1965 sold to Central Gulf S.S. Co., New Orleans converted into a cargo ship renamed Greenlake, 1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 12,410
Marine Jumper 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Vancouver, Washington | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1946 transferred to American Export Lines, 1946 returned to owner, 1949 laid up, 1967 converted into a container vessel renamed Panama, 1987 scrapped in Taiwan. 12,420
Marine Perch 1945 built by Kaiser Corp., Richmond, California | Standard ship type C4-S-A3, 1946 chartered from United States Maritime Commission, 1946 transferred to American Export Lines,1948 returned to owner, 1948 laid up, 1965 converted into a bulk carrier renamed Yellowstone, 1978 sank after collision off Gibraltar. 12,410

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: May 18, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli