FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Argo Line, Bremen / Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo AG 1896-1923 / Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH 1923-1925 / Argo Reederei AG 1933-1936 / Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co. 1936-1952 / Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne 1952-present

Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo AG was founded on 21 January 1896 by merchant and ship owner Heinrich Friedrich Bisschoff with other merchants and bankers and started the company with five of his own ships ( AUGUST, DELBRÜCK, F. BISSCHOFF, HERMANN and MARIE ELISABETH, ex Driffield) with liner services to the Baltic and Russia and to the West Indies and New Orleans. Three weeks after the founding another second hand ship was purchased ( AFRICA ).

Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo AG took over from Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL) it's North Sea trade in July 1897 and took also over the seven ships used by the NDL on this route. In 1901 the Argo fleet had twenty six ships and opened a new liner service to Italy.
In 1902 the majority of shares were purchased from the Hanseatischen Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft AG from Lübeck who had services in the Baltic Sea and in 1906 this company was completely purchased. After disappointing results the line to New Orleans was stopped in 1904 and the ships used on this route were chartered to other shipping companies and later sold to the Woermann Linie. In 1905 the Argo together with Norddeutscher Lloyd founded the Dampferlinie Atlas mbH which started a service to the eastern Mediterranean.
The Dampferlinie Atlas mbH merged with the Deutsche Levante Linie in 1908. In the same year the line Bremen-Antwerp-Italy was ended.

In 1914 the Argo fleet consisted of thirty ships and at the end of World War I the fleet was decimated to eighteen ships with eight ordered or building. Between 1919 and 1921 Argo had to hand over nine ships to Great Britain and France, of which four were sold back later on.

poster ArgoIn 1922 the majority of the shares were purchased by Otto Wölff and later that year resold to the Roland Linie AG, Bremen and Argo was merged into the Roland Linie AG and at the end of that year a new company Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH was founded who took over the European services from the Roland Linie. The Norddeutscher Lloyd took over the Roland Linie AG at the end of 1925 and the Argo funnel markings and house flag disappeared from the seven seas from the first of January 1926. The Norddeutscher Lloyd activated a new company called Argo Reederei AG in 1933, director of the newly found company became Richard Adler and was a merger between Hanseatischen Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft AG and Rhederei Aktien Gesellschafft von 1896 both owned by the NDL.

In 1936 Argo Reederei AG was restyled into Argo Reederei Rederei Richard Adler & Co. At the beginning of World War II the fleet consisted of forty four ships, when the war ended Argo Reederei Rederei Richard Adler & Co. was left with four ships and had Argo lost eighteen ships due to war causes and twenty one ships were allocated to the Allies. The first years after the war only coastal voyages were allowed by the Allied forces stationed in Germany. In 1947 Argo Reederei Rederei Richard Adler & Co. was allowed to start deep sea shipping with two ships again. In 1948 a liner service was started to Finland in conjunction with Finska Angfartygs AB and in 1949 the line Bremen-London was opened again and the company built their own shipping yard Adler Werft GmbH at Bremen.

The first new building after the war was the motorship ADLER who joined the fleet in 1950. In 1952 the Nah Ost Linie GmbH was started for the Levant services and also that same year the company was restyled as Richard Adler & Söhne. In 1960 Richard Adler & Söhne owned thirty five ships. The passenger service to London ended in 1965 and the ships were sold or scrapped. The Bremen-London line was ended in 1970 and the older ships were sold. In 1974 the fleet of Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne was reduced to nine ships. In 1976 the Rotterdam-Ipswich service was stopped. The Nah Ost Linie GmbH was sold to the Hamburg Südamerikanische Dampfschifffahrts Gesellschaft in 1986.
Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne owned in 1990 five ships and in 1992 the service to Finland in conjunction with Finska Angfartygs AB was ended.

The last liner service by Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne was in 1999 to Harwich and Felixstowe with only one Ro Ro ship the ARNEB. Later Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne only had chartered ships and is still exist as a shipbroker and consult bureau and operate services to Finland and Great Britain with chartered ships.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • Bremen - West Indies - New Orleans
    • Bremen - Baltic Ports
    • Bremen - London
    • Bremen - Hull
    • Bremen - Antwerp - Italy
    • Bremen - Levant
    • Bremen - French ports
    • Bremen - eastern Mediterranean
    • Rotterdam - Ipswich
    • Bremen - Harwich - Felixstowe

Funnels & Flag:

Fleet: DG Argo
1896-1922
DG Argo mbH
1923-1925
Argo Red. AG
1933-1936
Argo Red.
Richard Adler
1936-     
 
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Aar   see Adler (2)  
Adler (1) 1884 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- Adler built for African coastal service and later Italy - Suez feeder ship, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1899 sold to The London SS Co. not renamed, 1899 sold to Lombard SS Co., London, 1904 sold to Cie. Generale Transatlantique renamed Ville de Nantes, 1926 scrapped. 1,336
Adler (2) 1900 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 to German Imperial Navy renamed Kohlenschiff II, 1914 reverted to DG Argo, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and chartered back, 1921 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1938 renamed Aar, 1938 sold to F. Italo Groce, Geno, Italy renamed Ezilda Groce, 1950 scrapped. 1,304
Adler (3) 1938 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | 1940 in service for Kriegsmarine, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Conningsby and laid up at Hull, 1946 sold to Wm.H. Müller & Co., Rotterdam renamed Margeca, 1947 renamed Wickenburgh, 1953 converted into a motorship 1,420gt, 1963 sold to Greece renamed Nissos Trader, 1970 renamed Savilco, 1978 sold same name, 1984 scrapped at Eleusis. 1,494
Adler (4) 1950 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1966 sold to Dacema Lines, Cebu, Phillipines renamed Athena, 1975 renamed Maligaya, 1978 sold to Solid Shipping Lines, 1979 scrapped. 1,461
Aegina 1923 built by AG Weser, Bremen | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Naimes, 1925 renamed Arta, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1935 to Atlas Levante Linie same name, 1941 sunk by British destroyer Janus. 2,452
Africa 1884 built by AG Weser, Bremen | ex- Africa, 1896 purchased from H.D. Wätjen & Co., Bremen not renamed, 1908 sold to Ocean SA Belge d’Armement et de Nav., Antwerp same name, 13 March 1914 stranded near Zaccarossa, Sicilie, 1915 refloated and scrapped. 2,131
Alabama 1903 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1904 sold to Woermann Linie renamed Eduard Woermann, 1919 to Britain as war reparations, operated by Union-Castle Mail SS Co., 1921 sold to T.H. Skogland Norway renamed Hanna Skogland, 1930 sold to J. Hoide renamed Modesta, 1933 scrapped. 5,643
Alamak (1)   see Ganter (2)  
Alamak (2) 1978 built by Jonker & Stans, Hendrik Ido Ambacht | Built for Rotterdam Intercontinental Line BV, Rotterdam, 1985 reflagged to Cyprus renamed Alamar, 1987 sold to Quadro Shipping, Netherlands renamed Black Bird, 1990 renamed Protea Trader, 1990 renamed Moonbird, 2003 sold to Cambodia renamed Seagrand. 3,404
Albatross (1) 1893 built by Möller & Holberg, Stettin | ex- Albatross built for Bremen - UK service, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1914 sunk as a blockship at Libau, 1917 raised and repaired renamed Lühe for Bugsier Reederei & Bergungs AG, Hamburg, 1926 sold to Nordische Dampfer Reederei renamed Nordstern, 1937 sold to Egon Oldendorff, Lubeck not renamed, 1940 sold renamed Lühe, 1953 scrapped. 1,083
Albatross (2) 1915 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | Completed in 1917 for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, renamed Falke in service for Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1953 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1954 scrapped at Hamburg. 985
Albatross (3) 1957 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1971 sold to G. Roussos & Sons, Greece renamed Smaro, 1979 sold to Serpens Shipping Co. renamed Sea Star, 1981 renamed Star, 1982 sold to Mohammed A. Al Hussein, Jedda, Saudi Arabia renamed Reem, 1983 sold renamed Captain Salah. 1,197
Albireo 1957 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1971 sold to Panoceanica Galante SA, Chios, Greece and chartered back, 1976 sold to Bahia Blanca Cia. Nav. SA, Pireaus not renamed, 31 January 1979 stranded after explosion near Pearl River and lost. 3,791
Alcor 1957 built by F. Lürssen GmbH, Bremen | 1973 sold to St. Vincent Shipping Co., Famagusta, Cyprus, not renamed and chartered back, 1978 sold to Starling Shipping, Panama, 1979 sold renamed Rigel, 1981 renamed Munzur, 1993 sold to Dede Shipping Co., Malta renamed Dede C. 1,802
Alcyone (1) 1956 built by F. Lürssen GmbH, Bremen | 1973 sold to Leros Marit. Enterprise, Famagusta, Cyprus not renamed and chartered back, 1975 sold to Pokara Nav. Co., Limassol, 1979 sold to Kreon Shipping Co. Panama renamed Kreon, later renamed Serafim I, 22.10.1979 boarded by pirates off Libyan coast and sunk. 1,802
Alcyone (2) 1982 built by J.J. Sietas Schiffswerft GmbH., Hamburg | 1982 renamed Kastamonu in service for Deutsche Nah Ost Line, 1985 renamed Contship Lugano, later that year reamed Kastmonu, 1990 renamed Alcyone, 1992 sold to Dantz & Tietjen Schiffahrts KG renamed Diana, 1993 renamed Nedlloyd Daisy, 1994 renamed Maersk Canarias, 1999 sold to P. Doehle, Hamburg and later that year renamed Jan D. 3,329
Aldebaran 1952 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1965 sold to E. Drescher, Hamburg not renamed, 1969 renamed Ede Marmstorf, 1971 to Sigrid Ebner & J. Drescher, 1972 sold to Sea Traders, Cyprus renamed Elena, 1976 sold renamed Sea Eagle, 1982 sold renamed Captain Costas E and resold without change of name, 1983 scrapped. 2,759
Algenib (1) 1953 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1962 sold to VEB Deutsche Seerederei, Rostock renamed Darss, 1978 sold to Dandelion Shipping Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Kassos, 1984 scrapped. 2,692
Algenib (2) 1966 built by Oy Wärtsilä AB, Turku Shipyard, Abo | 1980 sold to Tharos Enterprise Sa, Pireaus, Greece and chartered back, 1981 sold to Ashbury Shipping Co. & J. Roed, Monrovia, Liberia not renamed, 1982 sold to Golden Cape Shipping Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Shetland, 1985 sold renamed Mercs Colombo, 1988 sold renamed Palmyra, 1991 sold same name, 1991 sold renamed Man Meet, 1992 sold renamed Delta Express, 1996 sold renamed Melanie M, 9 August 1998 sprang leak in engine room and abandoned, later sunk. 2,776
Algol (1) 1954 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1967 sold to E. Drescher, Hamburg not renamed and chartered back, 1969 renamed Ede Wilstorf, 1971 sold to Marepica Neptunea SA, Panama renamed Odyssefs, 1976 sold to Sissy Shipping, Greece renamed Franky, 1980 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 2,227
Algol (2) 1972 built by Krögerwerft, Rendsburg | 1981 stranded and rebuilt 2,720gt, 1992 sold to Aspen Shipping & Trading renamed Cedar Car. 2,328
Alhena 1963 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | Completed by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven, 1964 rebuilt 2,261gt, 1974 sold to Alefani Maritime Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Alefani, 1976 sold to Venezuela renamed Armando Reveron, 1981 sold to Greece renamed Aris VII, 1982 sold to Cyprus renamed Aris Epta, 25 December 1985 abandoned after fire in cargo, 1984 declared total loss and wreck scrapped. 1,998
Alioth 1956 built by F. Lürssen GmbH, Bremen | 1971 sold to Dinmaris Co. SA, Pireaus, Greece not renamed, 1973 sold to Kythira Shipping Co. same name, 1974 sold to Paarthenon Cia. Nav. SA, Panama, 1975 sold to Kavala Marit. SA, 1976 sold to Ermomar Nav. Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Kyros, 1982 sold renamed Khalil III, 1984 laid up, 1987 scrapped. 1,803
Alk (1) 1924 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Alk built for Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 allocated to Great Britain renamed Empire Contest, 1946 to USSR renamed Vereshyagin, 1960 out of Lloyd’s Register. 1,175
Alk (2) 1960 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | Built for Hansa Sachwert Anlagen GmbH, Bremen (Manager Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen), 1963 transferred to Argo, 1967 rebuilt 2,669gt renamed Alkes, 1973 sold to Alkemar Shipping Co. SA, Pireaus and chartered back, 1975 sold to Ipswich Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Gulf Anglia, 1976 sold to Cloud Shipping Co., London, 1997 sold to Atlantik Lines, Tema, Ghana renamed Kadas I, 1985 sold to United Emirates renamed Semone, 1986 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 1,999
Alkes   see Alk (2)  
Alphard 1957 built by F. Lürssen GmbH, Bremen | 1972 sold to Lofti Shipping Co., Famagusta, Cyprus and chartered back, 1979 sold to Diplomat Marit., Pireaus, 1980 sold to Chandros Cia de Nav. SA, Panama renamed Kapetan Andreas, 1985 sold renamed Kapetan Nikos, 1993/94 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 3,791
Altair (1) 1911 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 11 August 1914 captured by British warships and renamed Hunsgate, 1916 managed by W. Robertson, London, 1920 sold to AS Det Selmerske Red., Trondheim, Norway renamed Gurth, 1924 sold to Les Cargos Algeriens SA, Dunkerque renamed Moghreb Acsa, 14 July 1928 stranded near Honfleur and lost. 3,220
Altair (2) 1922 built by Nordseewerke AG, Emden | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Raimund, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1936 renamed Norderney, 1939 laid up at Para, 9 August 1941 sunk by British auxiliary cruiser Pretoria Castle. 3,667
Altair (3) 1937 built by Nordseewerke Emden, Emden | 1938 sold to Kriegsmarine later submarine tender renamed Samoa, 11 April 1944 damaged by fire at Stettin and later scrapped. 2,414
Altair (4)   see Strauss (2)  
Altair (5) 1966 built by Oy Wärtsilä AB, Turku Shipyard, Abo | 1973 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam not renamed (Manager Zeerederij Nefkens, Rotterdam), 1977 sold to H. Nefkens not renamed, 1982 sold to Pharos Enterprises S.A., Panama not renamed, 1985 sold renamed Rosa Isabella, 1995 scrapped at Cartagena. 2,776
America 1893 built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | ex- Stolzenfels, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed America, 1905 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1908 reverted to DG Argo same name, 1912 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Eresos, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul renamed Erezos, 1915 sunk at entrance of River Sakarya by Russian destroyer. 3,022
Amisia 1921 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | ex- Amisia, 1933 transferred from Seefahrt Dampfschiffsreederei AG, Bremen (NDL subsidiary) not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1945 allocated to Norway renamed Odderness, 1946 allocated to the USSR renamed Mogilev, 1969 scrapped. 999
Amsel (1) 1927 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Amsel built for Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1935 to Atlas Levante Linie renamed Arkadia, 1939 laid up, 1941 transport ship for Kriegsmarine, 1943 mined and sunk. 1,756
Amsel (3) 1957 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1968 sold to Chion Naftiliaki Anon. Etairea, Pireaus, Greece renamed Lesvios, 1986 sold to Rodos Maritime Co. same name, 1989 renamed Dina R, 1992 sold to Naftometaforiki Shipping AS, 1998/99 reported scrapped by Lloyd’s Register. 664
Andromeda (1) 1894 built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | ex- Rothenfelz, ex- Jamalpur 1904, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed Andromeda, 1912 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Karpathos, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Byron SS Co. renamed Maid of Tenos, 1922 sold to Reederei Kirchner & Co., Hamburg, Germany renamed Hohen Neuffen, 1926 sold to W. Schuchmann, Bremerhaven renamed Westsee II, 1927 stranded and sunk off Arnoy, later scrapped. 2,993
Andromeda (2) 1913 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | 1914 interned at New Orleans, 1917 seized by US Government to US Navy renamed Bath, 1918 to Naval Overseas Transport Service, 1926 sold to Madrigal & Co., Manilla renamed Paz, 1929 sold to Cie de Nav. Paquet, Marseilles renamed Oued Fes, 1942-1945 in English service, 1925 sold to F. Langobardo, Naples, Italy renamed Rosalinda, 1955 stranded and scrapped. 2,554
Antares (1) 1891 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., Sunderland | ex- Braunfels, ex- Mirzapur 1904, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed Antares, 1912 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Bogados, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, 1916 seized by Entente ceded to France renamed Moulin Blanc, 1920 stranded and lost off Les Balleines. 3,007
Antares (2) 1913 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 interned at Lisbon, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Coimbra, 1925 to Portuguese Navy renamed Pero de Alenquer.1929 sold to Cia. De Nav. Carregadores Acoreanos, 1959 scrapped. 2,512
Antares (3) 1922 built by Nordseewerke AG, Emden | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Ingram, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1936 renamed Borkum, 1939 captured by the British and subsequently shelled by German submarine U.33 beached and lost. 3,670
Antares (4) 1937 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | 10 April 1940 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine HMS Sealion off Norway. 2,593
Antares (5) 1950 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1966 sold to Hellenic Lines, Pireaus, Greece renamed Londinon, 1978 laid up, 1979 sold to Crystal Breeze Cia., 1980 sold to Celika Nav. Co., Limassol, Cyprus, 1981 sold. 2,692
Antares (6) 1967 built by Schlichting Werft, Lübeck Travemünde | 4 March 1986 sunk after being rammed by Sovjet freighter KOMPOZITOR BORODIN at Bremerhaven and sunk, declared total loss and scrapped. 499
Antares (7) 1970 built by Schulte & Bruns, Emden | ex- Monte d’Oro built for Cie Generale Maritime (CGM), ex- Antonios 1989 purchased from Alhena Shipping Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Antares, 1995 sold to Macedonian RoRo Lines, Pireaus, Greece renamed Makedonia 2. 499
Apus 1970 built by J.J. Sietas Schiffswerft GmbH., Hamburg | Jointly owned with Aron Rosenfeld, Israel, in service for Deutsche Nah Ost Linie, 1986 sold to Vog Shipping & Chartering, Bahamas renamed Africana, 1989 sold to Singapore renamed Sin Nga, 2000 renamed Lujiang. 3,275
Aquila (1) 1959 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1969 sold to Orion Schiffahrtsgesellschaft Reith & Co., Kiel and chartered back, 1972 renamed Else Reith, 9 December 1973 stranded at Mocamedes and declared total loss, 1974 repaired, rebuilt in Ro Ro ship renamed Jolly Arancione, 1984 laid up, 1985 scrapped at La Spezia. 3,223
Aquila (2) 1973 built by Krögerwerft, Rendsburg | 1973 in service for Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam renamed Ipswich Pioneer II, 1976 lengthened 4,090gt, 1976 renamed Ehrenfels on charter for DDG Hansa, 1977 renamed Nahost Pioneer for for Deutsche Nah Ost Linie, 1979 renamed Aquila, 1982 sold to Union Industr. & M., France not renamed, 1989 renamed Sea Road, 1990 sold to Italy renamed Vomero, 1995 sold to Panama, 1999 renamed Don Lupe, 2000 renamed Vomero. 3,595
Arcturus (1) 1894 built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | ex- Lindenfelz, ex- Ghazipur, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed Arcturus, 1912 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Kalymnos, 1914 captured by British destroyer HMS Savage, 1915 ceded to Great Britain, 1915 sold to Prince Line renamed Polish Prince, 1915 sunk after collision with British steamer LOWTHER RANGE. 2,993
Arcturus (2) 1914 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 seized at Bordeaux by French Government, 1922 sold to Cie de Nav. Paquet, Marseilles not renamed, 1950 sold to Zonguldak Vapurculuc ve Komerculuk Turk Lemitet Sireketi, Istanbul, Turkey renamed Celikel, 1956 sold same name, 1965 sold renamed Manioglu, 1977 sold same name, 1982/83 scrapped. 2,514
Arcturus (3) 1922 built by Nordseewerke AG, Emden | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Riol, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1936 renamed Helgoland, 1939 laid up at Puerto Colombia, 1941 sunk in ice off coast Finland. 3,664
Arcturus (4) 1937 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | 1 May 1941 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine HMS Upholder off Kerkenna. 2,596
Arcturus (5) 1952 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1967 sold to Cia. Siciliana Transp. Marit. (SITRAMAR), Palermo, Italy not renamed, 1972 sold to Lloyd Tirrenico S.P.A., 1976 sold to Managro Shipping Co., Pireaus, Greece renamed White Shark, 1977 sold, 1985 scrapped. 1,566
Arcturus (6) 1967 built by Büsumer Werft GmbH, Büsum | 1996 sold to Abushal Shipping & Trading, Saudi Arabia renamed Saudi Gizan. 499
Argo (1) 1950 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1964 sold to A. de Champs AB, Stockholm, Sweden renamed Monita, 1972 sold to Malta Maritime Serv., Panama renamed Munita, 1975 sold to Sea Malta Co., Valetta, Malta renamed Gudia, 1980 sold for scrapping, 1988 scrapped. 1,499
Argo (2) 1976 built by Krögerwerft, Rendsburg | 1976 renamed Brabant on charter, 1978 renamed Argo Hellas, 1980 reverted to Argo, 1991 sold to Albireo Shipping, Cyprus renamed Norcove, 1994 renamed Aries, 1994 renamed Saga Aries, 1994 renamed Sally Euroway, 1997 renamed Euroway, 1999 renamed Landi, 2000 renamed Eurolandia, 2002 renamed Patricia del Mar. 3,933
Argus 1940 built by Nordseewerke Emden, Emden | 13 August 1943 sunk after explosion in ammunition cargo. 3,143
Aries 1954 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1967 sold to Sivamar SA, Panama renamed Vega, 1979 sold to Rosalina Shipping Inc. same name, 18 October 1979 stranded and lost, wrecked broken up in situ 1980. 2,232
Arkadia 1922 built by AG Weser, Bremen | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Aegina, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1941 sunk by British destroyer Janus. 2,453
Arneb (1) 1969 built by Schlichting Werft, Lübeck Travemünde | 1981 sold to Italgrec Kavadas Lines, Cyprus renamed Angeliki IV, 1987 sold to Malta renamedAl Kwather I, 1991 renamed Makedonia I. 499
Arneb (2) 1986 built by J.J. Sietas Schiffswerft GmbH., Hamburg | ex- Alster Rapid, 1995 purchased from Reederei Henry Stahl renamed Arneb 999
Asia 1900 built by Wm Hamilton & Co Ltd, Port Glasgow | 1914 coal transport ship in Mediterranean for German Imperial Navy and laid up in Syracuse, 1915 seized by Italian Government renamed Luigi Plastro, 8 November 1916 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.34. 3,137
August 1884 built by J. Lange, Bremen -Vegesack | ex- August, 1896 transferred from J.D. Bischoff, 1899 stranded at Bornholm and lost. 536
Auriga (1) 1944 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg | Finkenwerder Hansa A ship, ex- Adamsturm built for DDG Hansa, 1945 surrendered to Britain, renamed Empire Ganymede, 1947 sold to United Baltic Corp. renamed Baltanglia, 1952 renamed Baltic Pine, 1954 sold to Greece renamed Germania, 1955 beached after collision with s/s MARO and declared total loss, 1956 wreck sold repaired and in service for Argo as Auriga, 1965 scrapped. 1,834
Auriga (2) 1967 built by Oy Wärtsilä AB, Turku Shipyard, Abo | 1973 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam not renamed (Manager Zeerederij Nefkens, Rotterdam), 1978 sold to Greece not renamed and chartered back, 1982 sold to Panama renamed Orkney,1992 sold renamed Rosavanessa,1995 sold renamed Rose III, 1995 sold renamed Bama Trader, 1996 sold renamed Aarhus Trader II, 1996 sold renamed Med Trader, 1997 sold renamed Force Sea, 1997 sold to Honduras renamed Fighter One, 1998 on voyage Limassol to Thessaloniki motor problems and listing taken in tow, 1998 scrapped at Aliaga. 2,776
Australia 1884 built by AG Weser, Bremen Ex Australia, 1896 purchased from H.D. Wätjen & Co., Bremen not renamed, 1908 sold to Ocean SA Belge d’Armement et de Nav., Antwerp same name, 12.2.1909 sunk in collision. 2,134
Barmen 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | ex- Claus Horn built for H.C. Horn, Schleswig, 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 purchased by DG Argo renamed Barmen, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and allocated to France, 1922 sold to SA Frutera Isoterma, Le Havre renamed Frutis I, 1925 sold to Cie. de Transports Maritimes & Fluviaux renamed Jean Doublet, 1927 sold to Cie. des Vapeurs Mediterraneens, Marseilles renamed Michel Claude, 1931 sold to Cie Franco Afrique, Marseilles renamed Ville de Sete, 1937 sold renamed Ploubazlanec, 1939 stranded, refloated and sank in tow. 1,035
Bingen 1901 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1919 ceded to Great Britain (The Shipping Controller), 1921 sold to Byron SS Co., London (manager M. Embiricos) renamed Maid of Samos, 1930 sold to J.A.S. Goulounthros, Andros, Greece, 1936 sold to D. & M. Goulandris, 1940 seized by Vichy Government at Marseilles, 1941 to Italy, 1943 seized by Germans, 1944 renamed Carmen, 1944 scuttled, 1945 wreck scrapped at Trieste. 1,221
Bonn 1922 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Sperber, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1940 in service for German Kriegsmarine, 1945 ceded to France, 1946 renamed Etel, 1948 sold to L. Dreyfus & Cie., Dunkerque renamed Commandant G. Guena, 1949 sold to Cie de Nav. Paquet, Dunkerque renamed Oued Noun, 1954 sold to Vietnam renamed Houng Khanh, 1991/1992 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 889
Brema 1904 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Mecklenburg, 1905 purchased from H. Podeus, Wismar renamed Brema, 1914 seized at Swansea by British, 19 August 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC.17 off Flamborough Head. 1,537
Bussard (1) 1889 built by Rostocker AG, Rostock | ex- Marie Louise, 1905 purchased from AG Rhederei Marie Louise (manager W. Minlos), Lübeck renamed Bussard, 1906 resold to W. Minlos, Lübeck, 1913 sold to Persia renamed Kirman, 1914 sold same name, 1914 seized in Turkey, 7 March 1915 sunk by Russian warships in Black Sea. 747
Bussard (2) 1906 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1917 sold to Leonhardt & Blumberg, Hamburg renamed Otto Leonhardt, 1924 sold to K.W.E. Sturm, Hamburg renamed Brigitte Sturm, 1929 to August Bolten W. Miller’s Nachfolger, Hamburg, 1936 sold to Fairplay Schlepp Dampfschiffahrts Reederei, R. Borchard, Hamburg renamed Richard Borchard, 1938 disappeared at sea, wreckage found on Helgoland. 1,494
Bussard (3)   see Siegen (2)  
Bussard (4) 1953 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 13 September 1959 abandoned after explosion and stranded off Terschelling, wreck later scrapped. 889
Bussard (5) 1961 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1971 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam not renamed, 1975 sold to J. Roed, Denmark not renamed, 1979 sold to Singapore same name, 1984 sold to Honduras renamed May Ca Express, 1985 renamed Arc San Andres. 499
Butt 1909 built by W. Harkess & Sons, Middlesborough | ex- Webburn built for Whitehall & Ball, Teignmouth, ex- Ludwig Stahl 1924, ex- Butt 1928 for Hanseatische DG, Hamburg, 1933 transferred from Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1943 sunk, refloated, repaired, 1951 sold to K. Schubert & Co. same name, 1954 scrapped. 736
Cali 1915 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | ex- Fredenhagen completed in 1917 for Hanseatische DG, Lübeck, 1926 company absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1927 renamed Cali, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1933 reverted to NDL, 1937 sold to Pontbona y Cordero Ltda, Valparaiso, Chile, 1 June 1938 stranded and lost near Caldera, Chile. 1,023
Cöln 1914 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | 1914 seized at Petrograd by Russian Government renamed Kotlin, 1916 renamed Lena, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH renamed Yalta, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles renamed Etienne de Flacourt, 1928 transferred to Soc. Marit. Indochinoise renamed Gouverneur General Piquet, 1934 sold to Union Maritime Mediteranee renamed Sargasse, 1938 sold renamed La Marsa, 1942 seized by Italians renamed Tivoli, 1947 Carlotta, 1955 sold renamed Anna Rosa, 1959 sold renamed Andalu, 1959 scrapped. 1,495
Condor (1) 1884 built by J. C. Tecklenborg A.G., Geestemünde | ex- Condor, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1902 sunk in collision with Austrian steamer LACROMA in harbour of Catania. 1,230
Condor (2) 1895 built by Wigham, Richardson & Co., Newcastle on Tyne | ex- Lestris, 1905 purchased from Cork SS Co., Cork renamed Condor, 1913 sold to L. Castel, Cette, France renamed Eugenie, 1921 sold to Soc. Intercontinentale de Transport, 1924 sold to H.A. Lassia, Marseilles, 1925 to Chargeurs Franco Algeriens, 1930 sold to P. Baikas, Piraeus, Greece renamed Assimina Baikas, 20 April 1941 bombed and sunk by German warplanes. 1,248
Condor (3) 1914 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | Completed in 1917 for DG Argo, 1917 sold to Rob M. Sloman, Hamburg, 1924 sold to Det Söndenfjelds Norsk DS, Christiania, Norway renamed Kong Ring, 1928 sold to Cie. Indochinoise de Nav., Haiphong renamed Canton, 1938 sold to Cie. Asiatique de Nav., 1942 mined and sunk. 1,188
Condor (4)   see Koblenz.  
Condor (5) 1952 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1967 sold to H. von Lintel, Bremen not renamed, 1972 sold to Andriana Shipping Co., Greece same name, 10 September 1973 sunk in collision in fog with Portuguese H. CAPELO off Guernsey. 887
Delbrück 1873 built by AG Weser, Bremen | ex- Delbrück, 1896 transferred from J.D. Bischoff, 1900 sold to A. Sartori, Kiel not renamed, 1901 sold to G. Granata, Genoa, Italy renamed Marocco, 1904 stranded near Tanger and lost. 375
Dortmund 1900 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, renamed Strauss, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1927 sold to F. Schmitz, Duisburg renamed Ilse Reichel, 1931 sold to W. Luers, Hamburg renamed Egeran, 1939 disappeared at sea. 986
Dr. Heinrich Wiegand 1939 built by Nylands M.V., Oslo | 1946 allocated to the USA, 1948 to Seatrade Co., New York, 1949 sold to AS Hetland, Copenhagen renamed Else Basse, 1953 damaged by engineroom fire, repaired and laid up, 1954 sold to Soumi Shipping AB, Lovisa (manager AB Nordström & Co., Oy), Finland renamed Kaarina, 1959 sold same name, 1964 sold idem, 1968 scrapped at Hamburg. 1,421
Drossel (1) 1924 built by F. Schickau AG, Elbing | ex- Horneck built for DG Horn AG, Lübeck, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd with fleet of DG Horn, Lübeck not renamed, 1926 renamed Drossel, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1955 sold to Erich Drescher, Hamburg renamed Sottorf, 1956 sold to Italy renamed Galas, 1965 scrapped. 999
Drossel (2) 1958 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1968 sold to Chion Naftiliaki Anon. Etairea, Pireaus, Greece renamed Makedon, 1981 sold to Filiki Marit. Co., 1982 sold to Neorion Siros Shipyard Ltd, Pireaus renamed Neorion, 1997 sold to Evita Shipping Co. SA, Belize renamed Katerina. 697
Duisburg 1899 built by Jos L. Meyer GmbH & Co., Papenburg | 1901 lengthened, 1903 wrecked near Cape Peniche, Portugal. 689
Düsseldorf (1) 1899 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1901 lengthened, 1914 seized at Libau by Russian Government and scuttled as a block ship, 1915 wreck raised and scrapped. 693
Düsseldorf (2) 1909 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Toreador, 1916 purchased from J.D. Stürken, Bremen renamed Düsseldorf, 1918 captured by British warships off Norway renamed Poldorf, 1919 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, renamed Falke in service for Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1934 to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for German Kriegsmarine renamed V 104, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 34, later Sperrbrecher 134, 8 August 1944 bombed and sunk of Lorient. 997
Elberfeld 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | ex- Minna Horn built for H.C. Horn, Schleswig, 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 purchased by DG Argo renamed Elberfeld, 1 August 1914 seized by Russians at Petrograd and in service as a transport ship for Russian Imperial Navy renamed Burlak, later renamed NO. 10, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1921 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to E.T. Lindley, London renamed Horley Grange, 1923 sold to Latus, Linsley & Co., Hull renamed Benlos, 1924 sold to Dampfschiffsreederei Nordica AG, Hamburg renamed Nordkap, 1924 sold to Skibs AS Vestfold (mgrs O.M. Nielsen), Tönsberg, Norway renamed Vestfold, 1927 sold to M.S. Pedersen Rederi AS not renamed, 1929 sold to A. Ingmansson, Kristinehamn, Sweden renamed Heddy, 27 October 1931 stranded in Vänersee, wrecked salvaged and scrapped. 1,037
Elita 1889 built by Rostocker AG, Rostock | ex- Elita built for AG Rhederei Elita (manager W. Minlos), 1905 purchased from Lübecker Dampfschiffahrtsgesellschaft (Schröder & Pape) not renamed, 1906 sold to A. Araya Vallenar, Chile renamed Buena Esperanza, 1909 sold to J.J. McAuliffe, Valparaiso renamed Arqueros, 1914 sold to Greamin & Sierrra renamed Lala, 31 July 1918 foundered. 735
Elster (1)   see Freiburg.  
Elster (2) 1958 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1968 sold to Chion Naftiliaki Anon. Etairea, Pireaus, Greece renamed Samios, 1980 sold to Itagre Marine, Georgetown renamed Venere, 1984 sold to Caicos Maritime, 1994 sold to Bermuda Atlantic Line, San Lorenzo renamed Aida Luz, 1997 sold to C. Fletamar & A. Por, Malabo, 1999 deleted from Register. 696
Erpel (1) 1927 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Erpel built for Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1945 allocated to Norway renamed Skogness, 1946 to USSR renamed Lado Ketskhoveli, 1960 out of Lloyd’s register. 1,772
Erpel (2) 1951 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1967 sold to Trans Nav. del Peru SA, Callao, Peru renamed Naylamp, 20 September 1969 sunk in Pacific. 1,423
Estland 1883 built by Rostocker Schiff- und Maschinebau AG, Rostock | ex- Liebenstein, 1897 purchased from DDG Hansa renamed Estland, 20 October 1898 foundered south of Newburgh. 1,169
Europa (1) 1882 built by H.F.Ulrichs, Vegesack | ex- Europa, 1896 purchased from H.D. Wätjen & Co., Bremen not renamed, 12 January 1899 stranded and lost off Osel. 1,981
Europa (2) 1889 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., Sunderland | ex- Gutenfelz, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed Europa,1905 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1908 disappeared at sea. 2,737
F. Bischoff 1879 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Potaro built for Steel, Young & Co., London, ex F. Bischoff 1892, 1896 transferred from J.D. Bischoff, 1909 sold to A. Monsen, Tönsbjerg, Norway and resold renamed Rodney, 1926 disappeared at sea on voyage Grangemouth Emden. 1,153
Falke (1) 1894 built by Möller & Holberg, Stettin | ex- Falke built for Bremen - UK service, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1917 sold to Jordabergs Reederei, Hamburg renamed Jordaberg, 1918 sold to Leonhardt & Blumberg, Hamburg renamed Toni, 1919 sold same name, 1919 sold renamed Tamara II, 1923 sold renamed Falkenhorst, 1926 sold to Belgium renamed Oostcapelle, 1929 sold renamed Highfield, 1930 sold to Greece renamed Paros, 1932 sold to Panama renamed Marsella, 1933 scrapped. 1,082
Falke (2) 1950 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1966 sold to Dacema Lines, Cebu, Phillipines renamed Demeter, 1974 renamed Emilia, 9 November 1974 damaged by fire and beached. 1,461
Fasan 1936 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1940 to Kriegsmarine renamed Transporter A 49, 1941 hospital ship, 1943 sunk in harbour of Hamburg, refloated and back in service, 1944 again sunk at Hamburg, 1949 salvaged repaired 1,409gt, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1958 sold to Hellenic Mediterranean Lines, Pireaus, Greece renamed Media, 1968 scrapped in Italy. 1,275
Fink (1) 1924 built by F. Schickau AG, Elbing | ex- Hornburg built for DG Horn AG, Lübeck, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd with fleet of DG Horn, Lübeck not renamed, 1926 renamed Fink, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1946 allocated to USSR renamed Mozdok, 1960 deleted from Lloyd’s register. 1,004
Fink (2) 1955 built by F. Lürssen GmbH, Bremen | 1961 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam renamed Ipswich Progress, 1971 sold to J. Smith & Zonen, Rotterdam renamed Bernisse, 1982 sold to Boutros Camille Khouri & Mahmoud El Sayed Shammakh, Beirut, Lebanon renamed Petra, 1983 sold same name, 1985 sold to Radwan M. Sahyoun, Beirut, Lebanon, 2001 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 649
Finnland 1898 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1915 sold to J.M.K. Blumenthal, Hamburg renamed Ina Blumenthal, 1920 allocated to Great Britain (The Shipping Controller), 1921 reverted to J.M.K. Blumenthal renamed Gottfried Poppe, 1933 scrapped at Hamburg. 2,229
Flamingo   see Reiher (2)  
Florida 1904 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1904 sold to Woermann Linie renamed Professor Woermann, 1907 sold to Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien Gesellschaft, Hamburg (Hapag) renamed Swakopmund, 1919 to Britain as a war reparation, 1920 to Eastern & Australasian Mail Steamship Co. renamed Arafura, 1929 scrapped. 5,638
Forelle 1920 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | ex- Castorp built for Hanseatische DG, Lübeck, 1926 company absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1927 renamed Forelle, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1938 sold to German Kriegsmarine, 1940 converted into a survey ship, 1942 renamed Triton, 6 October 1944 bombed and sunk off Stralsund, 1947/48 wreck scrapped. 1,005
Frankfurt 1912 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1919 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Cavalla, 1920 transferred to Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien Gesellschaft, Hamburg (Hapag) but stayed under DLL flag, 1923 sold to Roland Linie same name, 1925/26 Roland Linie taken over by NDL, 1926 management to DLL, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Linie, Bremen, 1939 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Millers Nachf., Hamburg renamed Falkenberg, 1945 sunk after torpedo hit off Christiansand, salvaged allocated to the Netherlands Government renamed Juri, 1947 sold to Panama same name, 1949 sunk after striking mine. 1,661
Franz E. Schütte 1939 built by Rickmers Werft, Geestemunde | 1940 to Kriegsmarine renamed Transporter R35, 1946 allocated to the USSR renamed Lena, 1960 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 2,042
Freiburg 1922 built by Schiffbaugesellschaft Unterweser mbH, Wesermünde | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Elster, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1941 to Kriegsmarine renamed Sperrbrecher 60, later Sperrbrecher 160, 16 August 1942 beached off Den Helder after being mined. 1,136
Friedrich Bischoff 1940 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | 13 December 1943 sunk after air raid at Bremen, 1944 salvaged and repaired, 1945 allocated to Great Britain renamed Empire Consequence, 1947 to the USA, 1948 sold to Alaska Transport Co., Tacoma, 1950 sold to N. Clapp, Seattle, 1951 sold to Etela Suomen Laiva OY, Helsingfors, Finland renamed Kaisaniemi, 1967 scrapped at Grimstad. 1,998
Ganter (1) 1927 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | ex- Ganter built for Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Consistence, 1951 sold to Dutch Government renamed Jan Willem, later Maria, 1951 sold to Rederi A/B Sally, Mariehamn, Finland renamed Dagny, 1967 scrapped. 1,770
Ganter (2) 1961 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1967 rebuilt 2,265gt renamed Alamak, 1972 sold to Leduc & Fils, Paris, France converted into a tankship renamed Aleria, 1977 sold to Cie. National Algerienne de Nav., Algiers renamed Medea, 1984 and 1987 sold same name, 1998 sold to Marnavi S.p.A. renamed Nerano. 1,028
Geier (1) 1924 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Geier built for Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 allocated to Norway renamed Slettness, 1946 to USSR renamed Elets, 1964 out of Lloyd’s Register. 1,174
Geier (2) 1955 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1959 rebuilt 672gt, 1970 sold to G. Roussos & Sons, Greece renamed Stavrakis, 1979 sold renamed Sofia Pappas, 1981 sold renamed Eleftheria, 1982 scrapped. 1,112
Greif (1) 1913 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | 1914 captured by Russian warships renamed Sirena, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1921 ceded to Great Britain and sold to Tyne Tees SS Co., Newcastle renamed Dunstanburgh, 1938 sold to J. Billmeir & Co., London (Stanhope SS Co.) renamed Stanburgh, 4 November 1938 damaged by explosion at Sete and scrapped in 1939. 1,165
Greif (2) 1923 built by 1923 Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | Ordered by DG Argo, completed after merger with Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 12 November 1944 sunk by British warships near Egersud. 996
Greif (3) 1952 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 8 December 1960 sunk after collision with Danish KINA, salvaged and laid up, 1963 sold to Bundesmarine converted into a trial ship renamed Heinz Roggekamp, 1993 laid up, 1994 sold to the Netherlands. 767
Greif (4) 1964 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1973 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam not renamed, 1977 sold to Kruga Cia Nav., Panama renamed Lone Lion, 1979 sold renamed Sea King, 1980 sold to Greece renamed Delta, 1981 disappeared on voyage Gabes to Alexandria. 499
Habicht (1) 1938 built by Nordseewerke Emden, Emden | 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine, 1945 laid up at Kiel, 1947 allocated to the Dutch Government, 1948 repaired in service as Hagno for Maatschappij Zeevaart, Rotterdam, 1954 sold to Smith’s Coasters Pty, Durban, South Africa renamed Iduna, 1961 laid up at Durban, 1962 scrapped. 1,577
Habicht (2) 1954 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | Completed for Neue Bremer Schiffahrt GmbH, Bremen a subsidiary of Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, 1959 rebuilt 724gt, 1969 sold to Madame Dolly Seah, Singapore renamed Cherry Laju, 1972 sold and resold to Pelejaran Nusantra Petra Samudera, Indonesia renamed Bintang Samudara III. 1,118
Hansa 1889 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., Sunderland | ex- Rüdesheimer, 1905 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed Hansa, 1905 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1908 reverted to DG Argo same name, 1913 sold to W. Eisenach, Stettin renamed Paula Peters, 1915 sold to Globus Reederei, Bremen renamed Hera, 1916 sunk by Russian submarine Volk. 2,847
Hecht 1915 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | ex- Brun von Warendorp built for Hanseatische DG, Lübeck, 1926 company absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1927 renamed Hecht, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1946 allocated to Greece renamed Parga and laid up at Flensburg, 1948 sold to C. Scrivanos & G. Pappas, Piraeus, sold several times and in 1960 converted into a barge renamed Konstantinos. 999
Heidelberg 1912 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 seized at St. Petersburg by Russian Government renamed Ije, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1919 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Smyrna, 1920 transferred to Hapag but stayed under DLL flag, 1923 sold to Roland Linie same name, 1925/26 Roland Linie taken over by NDL, 1926 management to DLL, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Linie, Bremen, 1939 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Millers Nachf., Hamburg renamed Süllberg, 1942 sunk off North Africa by British submarine Umbra. 1,661
Hermann 1881 built by Schlesinger, Davies & Co., Newcastle | ex- Mounts Bay built for F. Banfield & Sons, Penzance, ex- Hermann1894, 1896 transferred from J.D. Bischoff, 1906 sunk in collision with sailing vessel PETER RICKMERS. 2,347
Hogland 1882 built by AG Weser, Bremen | ex- Donar built for Köper & Co., Bremen, ex- Hogland 1899, 1899 transferred from J.D. Bischoff not renamed, 1907 sold to Soc. Servizio Italo Spagnuolo SA di Nav, Genoa, Italy renamed Mauretania, 192? sold to A. Roncallo, 1925 scrapped. 1,611
Ibis 1920 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | ex- Lotte built for Rob M. Sloman Jr., Hamburg, ex- Albert Sauber 1920, 1923 purchased by Roland Linie renamed Ibis, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1954 scrapped. 593
Ingram   see Antares (3)  
Koblenz 1922 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Condor, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for German Kriegsmarine, 20 April 1944 bombed and sunk off Schiermonnikoog by British warplanes. 889
Köln 1899 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1913 sold to F. Kaen & M. Konghaug, Haugesund, Norway and resold to C. Fiskaaen renamed Constance, 1917 sold to Akties Damskib Solli (managers Ellingsen & Johannessen), Bergen renamed Solli, 1918 to The Shipping Controller, Great Britain, 1919 reverted to owner and resold to Mathiesen Rederi A/s, Bergen, 1920 sold to Egyptian Nav. Co., Alexandria, 1922 sold to C. Petzalis & El. Dounias, Istanbul renamed Nicolas Nomicos, 21 April 1941 beached after aerial raid near Patra, wreck scrapped. 692
Kurland 1888 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- William Branfoot, 1897 purchased from Tyzack & Branfoot, Sunderland renamed Kurland, 1908 sold to Ocean SA Belge d’Armement et de Nav., Antwerp same name, 13 December 1917 sunk in collision with British steamer DEVONIA off Catherine Point, Isle of Wight. 1,962
Lappland 1883 built by AG Weser, Bremen | ex- Wuotan built for Köper & Co., Bremen, 1899 transferred from J.D. Bischoff, renamed Lappland, 22 May 1900 stranded and lost on the Island Sommars, 1902 wreck raised and scrapped. 1,612
Lerche 1918 built by Wilton's Scheepsw. & Machine Fabr., Rotterdam | ex- Eigen Hulp III built for Stoomboot Reederij Schuyt, Rotterdam, 1918 sold to Van Nievelt & Goudriaan Stoomvaart Mij., Rotterdam renamed Menkar, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Ilmar, 1925 to Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 renamed Lerche, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen, 1935 sold to Fisser & Doornum, Emden renamed Franziska Hendrik Fisser, 1946 sold to Denmark renamed Vejsnaes, 1948 sold to Finland renamed Olivia, 1958 sold same name, 1963 scrapped at Abö. 1,148
Livland 1898 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1906 sold to Dampferlinie Atlas, Bremen renamed Arta, , 1920 ceded to Great Britain (The Shipping Controller), 1920 sold to NV Cargadoors & Scheepvaart Kantoor Levant ( manager F. Schlosser), Rotterdam renamed Pontos, 1925 transferred to Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien Gesellschaft, Hamburg (Hapag) not renamed (DLL managers), 1927 sold to F. Spampinato, Catania renamed Eraclito, 1932 scrapped. 2,338
Louisiana 1902 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1905 sold to Woermann Linie renamed Erna Woermann, 1914 captured by HMS Cumberland in Douala, renamed Huntscastle, operated by Union-Castle Mail SS Co. 1921 sold to Deutsche Afrika Linien renamed Sultan, 1933 scrapped. 5,408
Lumme (1) 1928 built by Frerichswerft AG, Einswarden | ex- Lumme built for Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1944 sunk near Kirkeness by Soviet submarine S-104. 1,730
Lumme (2) 1950 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1968 sold to Liberia renamed Bitung, 1969 renamed Foo Kung, 1970 scrapped at Hong Kong. 1,423
Manizales 1915 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | ex- Pleskow completed in 1917 for Hanseatische DG, Lübeck, 1926 company absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1927 renamed Manizales, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1933 reverted to NDL, 1937 sold to Pontbona y Cordero Ltda, Valparaiso, Chile renamed Junin, 1941 sold to Martinez, Pereira y Cia same name, 1959 scrapped. 1,023
Mannheim 1899 built by Jos L. Meyer GmbH & Co., Papenburg | 1913 sold to F. Kaen & M. Konghaug, Haugesund, Norway renamed Norhaug, 1916 sold to AS DS Petra Lea (manager E.G. Lea), Bergen renamed Petra Lea, 1918 sold to J. Ledborg renamed Snetind, 1921 sold to Egyptian Nav. Co., Alexandria, 1923 sold to C. Petzalis & El. Dounias, Spezia, Greece renamed Ioannis Nomicos, 22 April 1941 bombed and sunk by German warplanes in Gulf of Corinth. 691
Marie Elisabeth 1882 built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton | ex- Driffield built for F. Binnington, Stockton, ex- Marie Elisabeth 1895, 1896 transferred from J.D. Bischoff, 1897 foundered off coast of Jutland. 1,793
Meise (1) 1918 built by Haarlemsche Scheepsbouw Mij, Haarlem | ex- Industrie built for Stoomboot Reederij Schuyt, Rotterdam, 1918 sold to Van Nievelt & Goudriaan Stoomvaart Mij., Rotterdam before completion renamed Adara, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Billung, 1926 to Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 renamed Meise, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 4 September 1944 bombed and sunk at Brest. 821
Meise (2) 1955 built by F. Lürssen GmbH, Bremen | 1960 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam renamed Ipswich Pioneer, 1968 reverted to Argo renamed Pirol, 1969 sold to Yugoslavia renamed Vela Luka, 1971 sold same name, 1983 sold same name, 1998 renamed Ecomar, 2001 sold renamed Hassanein, 2005 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 649
Meise (3) 1962 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1973 sold to Fairsail Nav. Co., Cyprus not renamed, 1974 renamed Panagia, 1975 sold to Greece renamed Sea Thand III, 1978 sank. 299
Möwe (1) 1883 built by J. C. Tecklenborg A.G., Geestemünde | ex- Möwe built for La Plata feeder service, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1910 sold to J.H. Kimme, Bremen renamed Marienberg, 1914 seized by Russians renamed Uslujivy, 1914 renamed Kako, 1920 reverted to J.H. Kimme renamed Marienberg, 1922 sold to Gebr. Röchling, Hamburg renamed Margarethe, 1923 sold to Lues & Co., renamed Martha Wilhelms, 1923 sold renamed Arnis, 1925 sold to Neue Baltische Reederei same name, 1928 sold to J. Sturm, Stettin renamed Nobis, 1932 stranded and lost off Ameland. 940
Möwe (2) 1912 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | 1915 in sevice for German Imperial Navy, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles renamed Maréchal Galliénni, 1954 scrapped. 1,251
Möwe (3) 1936 built by Nordseewerke Emden, Emden | 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 allocated to Great Britain and laid up, 1946 to Dutch Government renamed Bergen, 1946 to Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij (KNSM), Amsterdam renamed Ilos, 1959 sold to Deepdene S.S. Co., London renamed Al Sadiq, 1960 sold to Greece renamed Lilika, 1961 sold renamed Santa Maria, 1964 sold renamed Leon, 1968 scrapped at Alicante. 1,310
Möwe (4) 1950 built by AG Weser, Werk Seebeck, Bremerhaven | 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1966 scrapped at Bremen. 1,433
Nyland 1898 built by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow | Launched as Spartan Chief for T.B. Scott, Liverpool but completed as Nyland for DG Argo, 1914 seized at Hull by British, 1921 sold to N. Maris, Andros, Greece renamed Marionga Mari, 1926 sold to Possidin SS Co., Pireaus, Greece renamed Menelaos, 3 November 1930 stranded, wreck later scrapped. 1,533
Olivia (1) 1922 built by Nüschke & Co. AG, Stettin | ex- Olivia built for Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg, 1927 to Hanseatische DG, Hamburg, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 28 December 1942 near Üto grounded and lost. 1,308
Olivia (2) 1945 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | Hansa A ship, 1945 allocated to the USSR while building, 1948 completed for Polish Government as Olivia, 1950 renamed Marchlewski, 1956 to Polish Ocean Lines, 1968 to Polish Steamship Co., Gdynia, 1970 used as a hulk renamed MP ZPS at Stettin, 1982 scrapped. 1,925
Optima 1926 built by Flenderwerke AG, Lübeck | ex- Optima built for Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg, 1927 to Hanseatische DG, Hamburg, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 14 March 1943 sunk by British warships off Norway. 1,249
Orla 1921 built by Krupp AG, Kiel | ex- Orla built for Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg, 1927 to Hanseatische DG, Hamburg, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1944 to German Kriegsmarine renamed Spica, 1945 accommodation ship at Kiel, 1946 ceded to the USSR renamed Kachovski, 1960 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 1,289
Orlanda 1921 built by Krupp AG, Kiel | ex- Orlanda built for Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg, 1927 to Hanseatische DG, Hamburg, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Connington, 1948 sold to SA Marit. Et Commerciale, Panama renamed Alabe, 1958 scrapped at Sunderland. 1,289
Ostara 1919 built by De Baanhoek v/h Th. Nederlof, Sliedrecht | ex- Matar built for Van Nievelt & Goudriaan Stoomvaart Mij., Rotterdam 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen, Germany renamed Wido, 1922 to Rhederei AG von 1896, Hamburg renamed Ostara, 1927 to Hanseatisch Dampfschifffahrt Ges., Hamburg, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1944 captured by Allied forces at Ghent, 1945 damaged by mine, laid up at Kiel, 1948 scrapped at Gent. 1,297
Philipp Heiniken 1939 built by Rickmers Werft, Geestemunde | 1940 to Kriegsmarine renamed Transporter R28, 1940 reverted to Argo, 19 August 1944 sunk after being bombed at Bremen, 1948 salvaged and scuttled with gas ammunition in Skagerak. 2,042
Phönix (1) 1913 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for German Kriegsmarine renamed V 106, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 36, later Sperrbrecher 136, 25 August 1944 scuttled by own crew at St. Nazaire. 1,166
Phönix (2) 1956 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1963 sold to Baltic Lines NV, Antwerp, Belgium renamed Hella, 1971 converted into a tanker renamed Wadsy Tanker in service for Waste Disposal Systems NV, Antwerp, 1979 to Ahlers NV, 1981 sold and resold without change of name, 1989 scrapped at Vigo. 1,197
Pinguin   see Schwan (2)  
Pirol 1955 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1964 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam renamed Ipswich Purpose, 1974 sold to Panama renamed Rico, 1977 sprang leak northeast of Alexandria and foundered. 662
Rabe 1923 built by F. Schickau AG, Elbing | ex- Hornsee built for DG Horn AG, Lübeck, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd with fleet of DG Horn, Lübeck not renamed, 1926 renamed Rabe, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1944 mined and sunk. 994
Raimund   see Altair (2)  
Reiher (1) 1870 built by C. & W. Earle, Hull | ex- Heron built for General Steam Nav. Co., London, 1871 purchased by Norddeutscher Lloyd for Bremen - Hull service, renamed Reiher, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1907 sunk after hitting submerged wreck. 896
Reiher (2) 1909 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1938 renamed Flamingo, 1939 to German Kriegsmarine renamed Sperrbrecher 39, later Sperrbrecher 139, 8 August 1944 sunk off Lorient after being bombed. 1,045
Reiher (3) 1938 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine, 1948 allocated to Belgium renamed Alpina for Alpina Transport & Affretem SA, Antwerp, 1952 sold to Cie. C. le Borge renamed Augustin le Borge, 1956 sold to Honduras renamed Francis N, 1957 sold to Germany same name, 1959 sold to Panama renamed Fulchera, 1968 scrapped. 1,304
Riol   see Arcturus (3)  
Roma 1906 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Mecklenburg, 1906 purchased from H. Podeus, Wismar renamed Roma, 1914 interned in Spain, 1914 to Spain as a war reparation, 1918 renamed Espana No.3, 1941 renamed Castillo Figureas, 1946 to Empresa Nacional Elcano, 1961 scrapped in Spain. 2,108
Russland (1) 1872 built by Pearse & Co., Stockton | ex- King Ermyn built for Harper & Co., Southampton, 1896 purchased drom R. Jobson & Co. renamed Russland, 29 October 1904 stranded at Ostby Ground, Denmark, salvaged and sold in 1904 to Angf. AB Fix (manager A. Petterson), Oskarshamn, Sweden and repaired, 1909 sold to AB P. Jansson & Co., Norrköping ( manager F.E. Blohm), 1915 renamed Inga, 1917 sold to Förnyade Angf. AB Viking, Goteborg (manager G. Carlsson) renamed Rottnen, 1919 sold to Red. AB Activ, Helsingborg (manager F. Börjesson) renamed Betula, 1923 sold to Red. AB Klehr renamed Sallie, 1926 sold to Rd. AB Carrie (manager B. Carlström), Helsingborg renamed Ymer, 1930 laid up, 1931 sold but stayed laid up, 1933 scrapped. 1,019
Russland (2) 1883 built by Gebr. Howaldt, Kiel | ex- Europa built for Dampfschiffs Geselllschaft Europa AG (Schröder & Pape), Lübeck, ex- Europa 1904, 1904 purchased from F.H. Bertling renamed Russland, 1914 seized at St. Petersburg by Russian Government renamed Msta, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 sold to A. Homuth, Hamburg, 1924 sold to Preussenlinie Arlt & Co.(Managers Ivers & Arlt), Königsberg renamed Königsberg, 1928 scrapped. 655
Schwalbe (1) 1898 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 2 December 1916 beached after collision with German steamer TIMANDRA near Haugesund and declared total loss. 1,178
Schwalbe (2) 1920 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 13 December 1940 stranded near Üto or mined and sunk. 842
Schwalbe (3) 1955 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1962 sold to Rederei Mathies, Hamburg renamed Uppland, 1971 sold to Triton Bereederungs GmbH, Emden renamed Pewsum, 1972 sold to C. Veerkoy, Haarlem, Netherlands, 1973 renamed Ingi, flag Panama, 1979 sold to Fernales Shipping Co. SA same name, 1981 sold same name, 1988 sold to Honduras renamed Merci Jesus, 1988 renamed Gracias, 1990 renamed Gary, 1990 sold renamed Victoria I. 650
Schwan (1) 1884 built by J. C. Tecklenborg A.G., Geestemünde | ex- Schwan built for African coastal service, 1897 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd with its Liner service to Great Britain and six other ships not renamed, 1906 sold to A. Parodi, Italy renamed Angelo, 1913 sold renamed Ogliastra, 1916 sold renamed Evelyn, 1916 sprang leak and sank. 1,232
Schwan (2) 1907 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1916 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1938 renamed Pinguin, 1939-1945 in service as a pilot ship, 1945 returned to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., rebuilt and modernised, 1954 scrapped. 1,212
Schwan (3) 1938 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | 1939 to Kriegsmarine renamed Sperrbrecher 31, later Sperrbrecher 131, 1947 allocated to Great Britain and laid up, 1948 sold to Atkinson & Prickett, Hull renamed Weltonwold still laid up, 1949 sold to Currie Line, Leith renamed Rhineland, 1956 sold to Smith’s Coasters Pty, Durban, South Africa renamed Herriesbrook, 1957 renamed Inyoni, 1962 scrapped. 1,312
Siegen (1) 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | ex- Paul Horn built for H.C. Horn, Schleswig, 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 purchased by DG Argo renamed Siegen, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and allocated to France, 1922 renamed Cap Griz Nez, 1922 sold to SA de Gerance et d’Armement, Dunkirk, 1933 sold to Cie. France de Transports renamed Tunisien, 1933 sold to V.C. Saulnier d’Ancald, Le Bardo, Tunesia, 1934 sold to Soc. Tunisienne de Armement et d’Affretement, Tunis, 11 January 1942 stranded and lost. 1,033
Siegen (2) 1921 built by Schiffbaugesellschaft Unterweser mbH, Wesermünde | 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Bussard, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 5 March 1942 stranded and lost off Kristansand. 986
Specht (1) 1918 built by C. Boele & Zn, Slikkerveer | ex- Talita built for Van Nievelt & Goudriaan Stoomvaart Mij., Rotterdam, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Grandon, 1926 to Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 renamed Specht, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine, 1945 reverted to owner, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1953 sold to W. Joerk jr., Hamburg renamed Willy Joerk, 1955 scrapped at Hamburg. 761
Specht (2) 1961 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1973 sold N.E. Larsen, Brevik, Norway renamed Larki, 1974 sold renamed Veslevik, 1978 sold to Panama renamed Kanaloa, 1982 renamed Micado Maru, 1988 renamed Roland Express, 1991 renamed Saint Joseph II. 299
Sperber (1) 1899 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 to German Imperial Navy renamed Kohlenschiff III, 1914 reverted to DG Argo, 21 April 1916 stranded near Havringe, 1918 salvaged, 1919 scrapped. 1,265
Sperber (2)   see Bonn.  
Sperber (3) 1944 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | Completed by C. Lühring, Brake as Fidamus for A.V.A Thyselius, Bremen, 1950 capsized and sunk, salvaged repaired and in 1951 to Argo as Sperber, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1958 laid up, 1960 sold to Utkilens Red, Bergen, Norway later renamed Straum, 1966 sold to K. Johansen & Co. AS, 1967 renamed Regent, 1973 sold to Greece renamed Marina V, 1976 sold renamed Costas S, 1983 sold to Malta renamed Maguli, 13 August 1984 sunk after fire in cargo. 743
Sperber (4) 1961 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1971 transferred to Rotterdam Ipswich Lijn N.V., Rotterdam renamed Ipswich Progress II, 1975 sold to Avlon Cia. Nav. SA, Panama renamed Ginevra, 1976 sunk after collision at Cap Bon. 499
Star (1) 1927 built by Frerichswerft AG, Einswarden | ex- Star built for Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1935 to Atlas Levante Linie renamed Sparta, 1939 laid up, 1940 transport ship for Kriegsmarine, 1943 renamed Sperrbrecher 123, 1945 bombed and sunk, 1947 refloated repaired renamed Sparta for La Fortuna Cia de Nav., Genoa, Italy, 1955 sold same name, 1959 sold to Panama renamed Ariel, 1959 beached after explosion and wrecked. 1,724
Star (2) 1956 built by Adler Werft, Bremen | 1968 sold to P. Quast, Hamburg renamed Alpha, 1988 sold to Charter Ltd, Kingstown renamed Ralph, 1989 renamed Don, 1992 sold to Belle International SA, 1992 sold to Honduras renamed Rema, 1995 sold to Turkey renamed Suna 2, 1998 sold to Panama renamed Landro. 650
Strauss (1) 1899 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 to German Imperial Navy renamed Lotsenschiff A, 1915 reverted to DG Argo, 1919 sold to Cardten Rheder, Hardersleben and later resold to Oldenburg Portugiesische Dampfschiffs Rhederei (OPDR), Hamburg renamed Oldenburg II, 1922 renamed Ayamonte, 1925 sold to Luke Thomas & Co., Londen not renamed, 1927 sold to Cowasjee, Dinshaw & Bros, London same name, 1942 sunk in collision in Red Sea. 903
Strauss (2)   see Dortmund.  
Strauss (3) 1928 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | ex- Strauss built for Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1945 mined and sunk near Kiel, 1948 refloated repaired in 1951 renamed Altair, 1,920gt, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1963 scrapped. 1,756
Taube 1922 built by F. Schickau AG, Elbing | ex- Tertia built for Flensburger Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft von 1869, Flensburg ex- Hornland 1924 , 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd with fleet of DG Horn, Lübeck not renamed, 1926 renamed Taube, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Contour, 1947 to Belgium renamed Jean Marie, 1951 sank in the Baltic. 964
Visurgis 1926 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | ex- Visurgis built by yard for own account, 1933 purchased not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 20 May 1937 sunk in collision with Italian steamer SIENA off Terschelling. 1,306
Wachtel 1924 built by F. Schickau AG, Elbing | ex- Hornsriff built for DG Horn AG, Lübeck, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd with fleet of DG Horn, Lübeck not renamed, 1926 renamed Wachtel, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1944 bombed and sunk at Rotterdam. 992
Worms 1905 built by Eiderwerft AG, Tönning | ex- Carl Horn built for H.C. Horn, Schleswig, 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 purchased by DG Argo renamed Worms, 16 December 1907 stranded off Craster and lost. 1,032
Yalta   see Cöln.  
Zander 1921 built by Schiffswerft & Maschinenfabrik AG, Hamburg | Launched as Harriet for Naves GmbH, Hamburg but completed as for Reederei Nilsson jr. & Rose, Wismar, ex- Erna II, ex- Zander 1928, 1933 transferred from Hanseatische DG, Hamburg not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1946 allocated to the USSR renamed Mezen, 1961 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 776

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: November 18, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli