FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Austasia Line Ltd., Singapore, 1952-1993

Austasia Line Ltd. was formed in 1952 by Vestey Bros (Blue Star Line, Lamport & Holt and Booth Line), with offices in Singapore, to operate services from Singapore to Malaysian and Australian ports with intermediate calls at Indonesian ports. Booth Line's new building, the Clement became the Malay, initiating the service.

In 1964 a passenger service was introduced, using the chartered Booth liner Hubert, renamed Malaysia. She was accompanied by the Australasia, which had previously been the Anselm, also of the Booth Line. This service lasted for twelve years, being withdrawn in 1976. Later, reefer type vessels were acquired.

In 1992 and 1993 the services of the Austasia Line were integrated in the Blue Star Line and the Austasia Line from Singapore disappeared into history.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Australasia 1950 built by John Cockerill S.A., Hoboken | ex- Baudouinville, ex- Thysville 1957, 1961 purchased from Cie Maritime Belge Antwerp by Booth Line, renamed Anselm, 1963 transferred to Blue Star Line renamed Iberia Star, 1965 transferred to Austasia Line, renamed Australasia, 1972 sold for demolition, 1973 scrapped. 10,990
Mahsuri (1)   see Malay.  
Mahsuri (3) 1966 built by Bartram & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Tekoa built for New Zealand Shipping Co., 1969 transferred to Federal Steam Nav. Co. not renamed, 1973 transferred to P&O not renamed, 1978 transferred to Strick Line, 1980 sold to Austasia Line, Singapore renamed Mahsuri, 1984 scrapped. 10,975
Mahsuri (4) 1978 built by Smith's Dock Company, Middlesbrough | ex- Australia Star built for Blue Star Line, 1998 transferred to Austasia Line renamed Mahsuri, 1992 reverted to Blue Star Line renamed Australia Star, 2001 scrapped. 17,082
Makati 1953 built by Aalborg Vaerft A/S, Aalborg | ex- Jonna Dan, 1964 purchased from J. Lauritzen renamed Makati, 1967 transferred to Booth Line renamed Dominic, 1975 sold to Cyprus renamed Dominica, 1976 sold to Greece renamed Trojan, 1981 sold to Panama renamed Ragnar, 18 September 1982 abandoned by her crew in the North Atlantic and lost. 3,324
Malacca 1945 built by Leathem D. SmithShipbuilding Co., Sturgeon Bay | ex- Tulare standard ship type C1-M-AV1 built for United States Maritime Commission, ex- Coastal Challenger 1945, 1946 chartered from Panama Shipping Co. ( Booth Line Mgrs) renamed Pachitea, 1954 purchased by Booth Line renamed Dunstan, 1958 transferred to Lamport & Holt renamed Sallust, 1958 reverted to Booth Line renamed Dunstan, 1959 transferred to Austasia Line renamed Malacca, 1962 sold to Hong Kong renamed Tong Hong, 1967 disappeared without a trace. 3,844
Malay 1953 built by William Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Sunderland | Ordered as Clement for Booth Line but contract taken over with Blue Star Line renamed Malay Star,1953 transferred while fitting out to Austasia renamed Malay, 1964 renamed Mahsuri, 1966 transferred to Booth Line renamed Benedict, 1967 chartered to Lamport & Holt renamed Renoir, 1971 sold to Panama renamed Diamond Star, 1973 scrapped. 4,300
Mandama (1) 1946 built by William Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Hubert laid down for Ministry of War Transport but for Booth Line, 1951 renamed Cuthbert, 1954 transferred to Austasia Line, renamed Mandama, 1965 sold to Greece renamed Loucia N, 1970 scrapped at Shanghai. 4,249
Mandama (2) 1965 built by Bartram & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Taupo built for New Zealand Shipping Co., 1969 transferred to Federal Steam Nav. Co. not renamed, 1973 transferred to P&O not renamed, 1977 transferred to Strick Line, 1980 sold to Austasia Line, Singapore renamed Mandama, 1984 scrapped. 10,983
Mandama (3) 1971 built by Bremer Vulkan Schiffbau & Maschinenfabrik, Vegesack | Container vessel, ex- Columbia Star for Blue Star Line, 1986 transferred to Austasia Line, renamed Mandama, 1992 transferred to Blue Star Line renamed New Zealand Star, 1998 scrapped. 19,095
Mandowi (1) 1951 built by William Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Crispin built for Booth Line, 1953 transferred to Austasia renamed Madowi, 1966 transferred to Booth Line and renamed Dunstan but chartered to Lamport as Rubens, 1973 sold to George Kalogeros, Piraeus and renamed Irini, 1974 scrapped in Turkey. 4,472
Mandowi (2) 1965 built by Societe Anonyme des Ateliers et Chantiers de La Seine Maritime, Le Trait | ex- Ivolina built for Nouvelle Compagnie Havraise Peninsulaire de Nav., ex- Iananna 1973, Couronne 1978, 1978 purchased from Monterone Maritime Co., Greece renamed Mandowi, 1980 sold to Strategic Shipping Corp., Greece renamed Aegean Island, 1981 sold to Panama renamed Meridian Paa, 1982 sold to Greece renamed Aquila. 3,512
Mandowi (3) 1980 built by Smith's Dock Company, Middlesborough | ex- Willowbank built for Andrew Weir (Bank Line), 1988 purchased by Austasia Line renamed Mandowi, 1989 transferred to Blue Star Line renamed California Star, 1996 sold to Singapore renamed Sea Elegance, 2004 sold to Four Seasons Maritime S.A., Panama renamed Golden Gate. 18,236
Matupi (1) 1945 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington | ex- Hickory Glen standard ship type C1-M-AV1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased by Lamport & Holt from MOWT renamed Sheridan, 1960 transferred to Austasia Line renamed Matupi, 1964 sold to Hong Kong renamed Tong Lam, 1968 sold same name, 1970 sold to Panama same name, grounded and lost. 3,827
Matupi (2) 1965 built by Chantiers Navals de la Ciotat, La Ciotat | ex- Oyonnax built for Compagnie Messageries Maritimes, 1971 sold to Portugal renamed Frigomar, 1975 sold to Singapore renamed Harvest Gold, 1977 sold to Greece renamed Cavalaire, 1978 purchased from Caxton Maritime Enterprises Corp., Greece renamed Matupi, 1980 sold to Greece renamed Aegean Destiny, 1981 sold to Panama renamed Remjay, later renamed Laric, 1982 sold renamed Alka, 1988 sold renamed Fairmay, 1989 sold renamed Mahe Reefer. 4,478
Mulbera 1971 built by Bremer Vulkan Schiffbau & Maschinenfabrik, Vegesack | Container vessel, ex- California Star for Blue Star Line, 1987 transferred to Austasia Line, renamed Mulbera, 1993 transferred to Blue Star Line renamed Fremantle Star, 1998 scrapped. 19,095
    Chartered Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Mahsuri (2) 1952 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | ex- Raeburn for Lamport & Holt 1958 chartered to Blue Star Line renamed Colorado Star, 1972 chartered to Austasia Line renamed Mahsuri, 1977 returned to owners renamed Roland, 1978 scrapped. 8,292
Malaysia 1954 built by Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd, Birkenhead | ex- Hubert for Booth Line, 1964 transferred to Blue Star Line, chartered to Austasia Ltd, renamed Malaysia, 1976 sold to Singapore converted into a cattle carrier renamed Khalij Express, 1984 scrapped. 8,062

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: February 19, 2007 and maintained by and M. Kohli