FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Batavier Line / Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij 1823-1920 / Wm. H. Müller & Co., Rotterdam 1878-1972 / Vianda Steamship Company Ltd, London

Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij Wm. Müller & Co. Vianda Steamship Company Ltd
     
The Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij was founded in 1823 by G.M. Roentgen, J.C. Baud, C. van Vollenhoven and J. Cockerill with the support of the Dutch king Willem I and started first inland services from Rotterdam to Nijmegen, BatavierCologne and to later to Antwerp with paddle wheelers. In 1824 the decision was made to order a new paddle wheeler for a shipping route from Rotterdam or Amsterdam to Hamburg, but it took five years to complete this ship and when she was finished in 1829 another Dutch company had already opened a route from Amsterdam to Hamburg so instead the paddle wheeler BATAVIER (1) opened on 12 April 1830 a passenger and cargo service from Rotterdam to London. Already in 1830 due to the Belgian uprising and later becoming an independent Kingdom the service to England had to be stopped and several ships were hired by the Dutch Navy, the Rotterdam London route was re-opened in 1833.

In April 1850 a second ship the FIJENOORD joined the BATAVIER on their service to London. In 1855 a new BATAVIER (2) was ready to take up the Rotterdam London service.
Around 1865 there was a stiff competition from several British shipping companies and an outbreak of swine fever in Great Britain, this nearly ruined the company and the NSM tried to sell its ships but that didn’t go through and instead in 1870 a new ship the MAASTROOM and in 1873 a third BATAVIER joined the fleet, which give better results for the company. The BATAVIER (2) was sunk in a collision with the Turkish warship Charkee at Barking Reach on the Thames in 1872, a baby and a sailor lost their lives in the accident. In 1872 the New Waterway was opened which means a great improvement for the shipping companies to reach Rotterdam.

In 1895 Wm Müller & Co. took over the company which stayed as an independent company within the Wm. Muller & Co. company until 1920 when the Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij was formally liquidated and the ships sailed under the Müller banner, the Rotterdam London service was known as the Batavier Line named after the ships who sailed on this route.

Funnels & Flag:

Fleet:

  1830-1903 1903-    ? Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij

Wm. H. Müller & Co. was founded on 18 April 1876 at Düsseldorf, Germany and on 3 June 1878 a Dutch office was founded as Wm. H. Müller & Co. at Rotterdam.
As already mentioned above on 1 November 1895 the Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij was taken over with their fleet. Later the service Rotterdam-London was called the Batavier Line.

Wm. H. Müller & Co. founded several other shipping and tug companies like the N.V. Maatschappij voor Vracht & Passagiersvaart Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij in 1896, N.V. Stoomvaart Maatschappij "Mineral" in 1897, Sleepdienst "Hoek van Holland" also in 1897.
In 1889 Wm. H. Müller & Co.’s Algemeene Scheepvaart Maatschappij at Rotterdam was founded.
In 1908 the shares of N.V. Scheepvaart Maatschappij v/h Smith & Co. were purchased which runs a service to Bordeaux.
In 1919 Wm. H. Müller & Co. took participation in Stoomvaart Maatschappij Zeeland which was founded in 1875.
In 1923 an office at London was opened Wm. H. Müller & Co. (London) Ltd. and also the Vianda Steamship Company Ltd was founded. In 1968 the name was changed in Wm. H. Müller & Co. (Batavier) Ltd. London.

In 1958 the passenger service to London was stopped, only the freight service stayed on which lasted to 1971 when all the ships were taken over by Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh N.V., Rotterdam and all the shipping activities were ended in 1972.

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

  1895-1972 Wm. Müller & Co.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • Rotterdam-London (Tilbury) (Batavier Line)
    • Rotterdam-Boston Lincs.
    • Rotterdam-Hamburg
    • Rotterdam-King's Lynn
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam / Antwerp-Paris
    • Bordeaux-Casablanca / Port Lyautey
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam-Aberdeen
    • Rotterdam-Bordeaux / La Pallice
    • Rotterdam-Casablanca / London (Marokko Line)
    • Rotterdam / Antwerpen-Guernsey / Jersey
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam-Le Havre
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam-Rouen
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam-Middlesborough
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam / Antwerp-Stockholm / Norrköping / Västerás
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam / Antwerp-Oskarshamn / Karlshamn / Köping
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam / Antwerp-Gothenburg / Halmstad
    • Rotterdam / Amsterdam-Luik, London-Paris and London-Antwerp.
 
Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Atlas 1828 built by Wed.J. Hoogendijk Capelle aan den IJssel | Paddle Wheeler, 1830 sold to Dutch Navy (Koninklijke Marine) and laid up, 1832 scrapped at Middelburg. n/a
Batavier (1) 1829 built by Fop Smit, Kinderdijk | Paddle Wheeler, 1845 rebuilt, 1849 new boilers, 1855 sold for scrapping but used as a coal hulk. 427
Batavier (2) 1855 built by Maatschappij Fijenoord, Rotterdam | Paddle Wheeler, 1872 foundered in Thames after collision with Turkish warship. 567
Batavier (3) 1873 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam (80) | Paddle Wheeler, 1882-83 rebuilt into a screw steamer 731gt, 1895 transferred to Wm. H. Müller & Co. 1897 renamed Batavier I, 1906 sold to Navigation A Vapeur Hellenique Jean Comonos, Piraeus, Greece renamed Delphin,1915 sold to Del. Navigation A Vapeur Ioniene G.Y. Freres, Piraeus not renamed, 1919 sold to Chios Steam Shipping Co. Ltd., Piraeus, 1922 sold Nissiotiki Steam Shipping Co. Ltd., Piraeus, 1928 sold to A.G. Yannoulatos, Piraeus renamed Nafsika Y, 1930 sold to Spetsiotiki Steam Navigation Ltd., Piraeus renamed Delphin, 1934 scrapped. 731
Elve 1847 built by C. & W. Earle, Hull | ex- Director, 1854 purchased from Britsh owner W. Ruym renamed Elve, 1878 sold to P.A. van Es & Co. not renamed, 1879 scrapped. 232
Fijenoord (1) 1850 built by Maatschappij Fijenoord, Rotterdam | Paddle Wheeler, 1879 scrapped at Dordrecht.. 287
Fijenoord (2) 1879 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam | 1885 sold to Hollandsche Stoomboot Mij., Amsterdam renamed IJstroom, 6 June 1897 foundered after collision with British s/s BITTERN in North Sea. 820
Holland 1873 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam (86) | 1896 transferred to Wm. H. Müller & Co.not renamed, 28 January 1901 foundered at the Noorderhoofd at Hoek van Holland. 726
Lek   see Nederlander.  
Maasstroom 1867 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam (76) | 1895 transferred to Wm. H. Müller & Co.not renamed, 1898 used as a hulk in London, 1902 scrapped. 477
Nederland 1881 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam | 1882 sold to Maatschappij s.s. "Leerdam", Rotterdam renamed Leerdam and leased to the Holland America Line (HAL) (NASM), 1889 owned by HAL (NASM), 15 December 1889 sunk after collision with British s/s GAW QUAN SIA near Light Vessel Noord Hinder. 2,796
Nederlander 1823 built by Wed.J. Hoogendijk Capelle aan den IJssel | Paddle Wheeler, 1835 lengthened, 1837 renamed Lek, 1843 rebuilt into a river barge, 1855 scrapped. n/a
Pylades 1826 built by C. Smit, Lekkerkerk | Paddle Wheeler, 1834 sold to Dutch Navy (Koninklijke Marine), 1835 foundered off Hellevoetsluis. n/a
Stad Antwerpen 1824 built by W.& J. Hoogendijk, Capelle aan den IJssel | Paddle Wheeler, n/a
Stad Nijmegen 1824 no further information n/a
Zeeuw 1824 built by W.& J. Hoogendijk, Capelle aan den IJssel | Paddle Wheeler n/a
 
Wm. Müller & Co.
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Aardenburgh (1)   see Scheldt (1).  
Aardenburgh (2) 1967 built by C. Amels & Zoon, Makkum (293) | 1971 transferred to N.V. Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh, 1981 transferred to KNSM-Kroonburgh, 1991 sold to Almis Shipping, Djibouti renamed Almis I.. 499
Admiraal de Ruyter 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland (389) | 1927 sold to Atlas Reederei AG, Emden, Germany renamed Afrika, 1933 scrapped at Finkenwarder. 5,545
Anglia 1870 built by Bowdler Chaffer & Co., Liverpool | ex- Winsloe, 1898 purchased from London Rotterdam Steamship Co. renamed Anglia, 21 November 1903 foundered in heavy storm near Borkum, whole crew was lost. 832
Batavier I (1)   see Batavier (3), Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij.  
Batavier I (2) 1915 built by Maatschappij Fijenoord, Rotterdam (269) | Built for James Smith & Co., 1921 transferred to Wm. Müller & Co., 1937 renamed Sandenburgh, 1954 scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht. 1,031
Batavier I (3) 1949 built by J. Smit Czn, Alblasserdam (545) | Ordered as Aardenburgh but completed as Batavier I, 1966 sold to Lebanon renamed Maya, 1968 sold renamed Al Rizk, 1972 sold renamed Ghina, 1977 sold to Panama renamed Ghina II, 1983 sold renamed Samarkand, 198? sold renamed Palanga, 1990 scrapped at Tripoli. 498
Batavier II (1) 1897 built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee | 24 September 1916 captured by German submarine UC.6 and taken to Zeebrugge declared prize, 27 July 1917 shelled by British submarine E.55 near Texel, abandoned by crew and sank. 1,328
Batavier II (2) 1921 built by Wilton's Scheepsw. & Machine Fabr., Rotterdam (292) | 1940-1946 UK coasting services and Dutch accommodation ship, 1946 returned to service, 1959 scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht. 1,573
Batavier III (1) 1897 built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee | 1939 sold to L.P. Sclavounos, Panama renamed El Sonador, 17 February 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.61 east of Shetland Islands. 1,333
Batavier III (2) 1939 built by Werf De Noord, Alblasserdam (576) | 1940 seized by Germans at Rotterdam, 24 October 1942 mined and sunk in German service north of Skagen. 2,687
Batavier III (3) 1949 built by J. Smit Czn, Alblasserdam (546) | 1967 sold to V. Paladini, Italy renamed Brixia, 1975 sold to Cyprus renamed Khiralla, 1980 sold to Davis Sea Co., Limassol renamed Kostas I, 1995 deleted from Register. 498
Batavier IV 1902 built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee | 1940 requisitioned as training ship HMS Eastern Isles, 1940 renamed HMS Western Isles,1946 sold to Dutch Navy (Koninklijke Marine), renamed Hr. Ms. Zeearend and used as a training ship, 1972 scrapped. 1,569
Batavier V (1) 1903 built by Gourlay Bros & Co., Dundee | 16 May 1916 mined and sunk near Inner Gabbard with the loss of 4 lives. 1,506
Batavier V (2) 1921 built by Wilton's Scheepsw. & Machine Fabr., Rotterdam (293) | 1940 seized by Germans at Rotterdam, 3 November 1941 torpedoed off Cape Gris Nez by British TM boat and sunk. 1,573
Batavier V (3) 1959 built by Scheepswerf Friesland, Lemmer (272) | 1971 transferred to N.V. Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh, 1976 sold to Vanessa Shipping Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Satallite, 1982 sold to Qatar not renamed, 2004 scrapped as Mohsein. 499
Batavier VI 1903 built by Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow | 1928 sold to M.H. Bland, Gibraltar renamed Gibel Zerjon, 1939 sold to Courtage & Transports SA, Paris renamed Florida, 1940 sold to Cia. Diana de Vapores SA, Panama same name, 2 June 1940 beached in leaky condition near Cape Spartel and declared total loss. 1,448
Batavier VII 1927 built by J. Koster Hzn, Scheepswerf Gideon, Groningen | 1937 renamed Veenenburgh, 1961 sold to R. Pilon, Appingedam, Holland renamed Forto, 1971 scrapped. 433
Batavier VIII 1928 built by J. Smit Czn, Alblasserdam (500) | 1937 renamed Wickenburgh, 4 August 1943 stranded on beach off Lagos, 14 January 1944 abandoned by company. 779
Blötberg 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland (387) | 1916 sold to Holland America Line (NASM) renamed Blommersdijk, 8 October 1916 shelled and sunk by German submarine U.53. 4,850
Brittenburgh 1961 built by Arnhemsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Arnhem (402) | 1972 sold to W.H. Roelofs, Haren, Holland renamed Andairon, 1979 sold same name, 1981 sold to Kemp Shiping, Panama same name. 457
Caledonia (1) 1870 built by Backhouse & Dixon, Middlesbrough | ex- Schmidborn, 1891 purchased from E. Harris & Co., Middlesbrough renamed Caledonia, 14 December 1894 stranded near Katwijk, broke in two and lost. 355
Caledonia (2) 1870 built by Allibon & Co, Northfleet | ex- Kirkstall, 1895 purchased from E. Harris & Co., Middlesbrough renamed Caledonia, 16 June 1897 sunk after explosion on board in North Sea with the loss of 1 life. 464
Caledonia (3) 1874 built by T.R. Oswald, Sunderland | ex- Fitzclarence, 1899 1898 purchased from London Rotterdam Steamship Co. renamed Caledonia, 1928 scrapped at Ghent. 863
Croonenburgh 1927 built by AG Neptun, Rostock (413) | ex- Theresia L.M. Russ built for E. Russ & Co., 1940-1942 in service for Kriegsmarine, 18 December 1944 sunk by bombs at Gotenhafen, 1945 repaired, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Concrete, 1946 to Dutch Government renamed Velsen, 1947 sold to Wm. Müller & Co., Rotterdam renamed Cronenburgh, 1955 sold to Cia. De Nav. Caribbean Cargo Carrier SA, Panama renamed Astor, 1970 scrapped at La Spezia. 1,709
Domburgh 1949 built by Werf De Noord, Alblasserdam (616) | 1969 rebuilt into a container ship 1,117gt, 1972 sold to Carib Shipping Co., London and resold to Trincargo Shipping Service, Trinidad not renamed, 1975 sold to Magic City Corp., Panama renamed Forwarder, 1983 sold to Pioneer Shipping Inc., Miami (flag Honduras) renamed Nuevo Rio, 6 February 1986 sunk as an artificial reef near Key Largo. 1,157
Elsenburgh 1939 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck (380) | ex- Cressida built for A. Kirsten, Hamburg, 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine renamed V 102, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 32, 1941 renamed Sperrbrecher 132, 1946 allocated to the USA, 1947 to Dutch Government, 1947 sold to Wm. Muller & Co., Rotterdam renamed Elsenburgh, 1952 rebuilt into a motor ship, 1961 sold to Seven Seas Shipping Co., Monrovia, Liberia renamed, Gernik, 23 December 1963 stranded in storm near Karpathos and lost. 994
Escaut (1) 1929 built by J. Smit Czn, Alblasserdam (506) | 25 March 1941 damaged and beached after German air attack, 1944 refloated repaired renamed Empire Leech for MOWT (mgr Adriatic SS Co.), 1948 transferred to Vianda SS Co., London renamed Seine, 16 July 1955 sank after collision with s/s DROGOBITZ near Dungeness. 348
Escaut (2) 1947 built by Haarlemsche Scheepsbouw Mij, Haarlem (497) | 1965 sold to Channel SS Co., Jersey renamed Grouville, 1968 sold to Marine Enterprises, Malta renamed Rachel Pace, 1971 sold to Panama renamed Natasa, 1972 sold renamed Anna I, 1972 sold renamed Panagiotis, 1974 renamed Anna Maria, 1974 sold to Cyprus renamed Lelia, 1976 sold renamed Rania B, 1983 sold renamed Bravo 2, 1985 scrapped after stranding. 393
Express 1931 builder unkown | 1959 scrapped. 195
Frigido 1903 built by Wed. C. Boele & Zn., Slikkerveer | ex- Celestine Juliette trawler, 1917 purchased renamed Frigido, 1930 renamed Wear, 1930 sold to P.C. Munkejord & E.Co Tveit, Kopervik, Norway same name, 1938 sold to Peder Olsen, Kopervik, 1945 sold to Skips A/S Wear (Kr. Tischendorf & J. Haugan), Kopervik, 1949 sold to Magnus Aarland, Bergen, Norway renamed Mokstein, 1955 sold same name, 1966 scrapped. 214
Grängesberg 1903 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland (305) | 1916 sold to Holland America Line (NASM) renamed Beukelsdijk, 29 January 1923 on voyage Rotterdam Narvik stranded near Bodö and lost. 6,801
Hispania (1) 1883 built by H.F.Ulrichs, Vegesack (1383) | 1913 sold to Vassalo & Marizzano, Genoa renamed Miriam, 1928 scrapped at Genoa. 1,420
Hispania (2) 1943 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool (1159) | ex- Empire Beaconsfield built for MOWT (mgr Constants South Wales (H. Constant), West Hartlepool), ex Hawkinge 1946, ex Angusbrae, 1956 purchased from Constants South Wales, West Hartlepool renamed Hispania, 1960 sold to Westend Corp., Greece renamed Dia, 14 October 1964 foundered. 2,905
Holland   see Holland, Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij.  
Hollander 1884 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam (130) | ex- Hollander , 1911 purchased from James Smith & Co., Rotterdam not renamed, 1916 sold to Hudig & Pieters, Rotterdam renamed Otis Tarda, 21 June 1916 mined and sunk in North Sea. 759
Hollandia 1882 built by Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij., Rotterdam (121) | 30 October 1894 foundered in heavy storm off Swedish coast. 1,504
Iberia (1) 1884 built by L. Smit & Zoon, Kinderdijk (435) | 1926 sold to G. Sedita, Catania, Italy renamed Giuseppina, 1934 sold to Ignazio Messina & Co., Genoa renamed Verace, 1940 mined and sunk at Benghazi, later refloated by English troops and scrapped. 1,237
Iberia (2) 1944 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool (1160) | ex- Empire Harcourt built for MOWT (mgr Hogarth & Sons, West Hartlepool), ex- Baron Ailsa 1946, 1955 purchaded from H. Hogarth & Sons renamed Iberia,1962 sold to Tankers Finance Corp., Greece and renamed Cycladiki Doxa, 1964 sold to Cia. Maritima Sarita S.A., Greece and renamed Mount Sinai, 10 April 1972 demolition commenced at Perama by S. Kyriazis, G. Georgopoulos and D. Politis. 2,902
Joseph Frering 1936 built by Gotaverken A/B, Göthenburg (495) | ex- Skaraas, 1956 purchased from Iver Bugge, Narvik, Norway renamed Joseph Frering, 1963 sold to Eastern Transports Inc, Monrovia, Liberia renamed World Carrier, 1971 scrapped. 9,884
Louis Lantz 1931 built by Caledon ShipBuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee (335) | ex- Skotaas, 1956 purchased from Iver Bugge, Narvik, Norway renamed Louis Lantz, 1960 scrapped at Ghent. 8,293
Maasstroom   see Maasstroom, Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij.  
Marne (1) 1926 built by J. Koster Hzn, Scheepswerf Gideon, Groningen | 31 August 1940 mined and sunk in North Sea near North Tyne Pier Light with the loss of 3 lives. 175
Marne (2) 1949 built by Gebr. Sander, Delfzijl (184) | 1963 sold to Channel SS Co., Jersey renamed Gorey, 1968 sold to Grandport Shipping, Panama same name, 1970 sold to Hadjioannou Bros., Piraues renamed Hadjioannou, 1975 transferred to Cyprus renanmed Kaptangiorgis, 1977 renamed Saint George I, 11 December 1977 stranded at Zakinthos and foundered. 427
Maud Cassel 1897 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland (247) | 22 February 1906 stranded at Arkoböder Reef at Häpinge, Sweden, later broke in two and lost. 3,924
Mesacria 1878 built by Richardson Duck & Co, Stockton (244) | ex- Ella,1894 purchased from J.M. Lennard & Son, Middlesbrough, 1901 posted missing on voyage Rotterdam Middlesbrough. 456
Meuse (1) 1928 built by J. Koster Hzn, Scheepswerf Gideon, Groningen | 1935 transferred to Vianda SS Co., London renamed Swallow, 1940 damaged in Paris and seized by Germans, 1941 repaired renamed Schwalbe in German service, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Swallow, 1946 returned to Vianda SS Co., London renamed Swallow, 1959 sold to H. & T. Schöning (Reederei J. Schöning), Düsseldorf, Germany renamed Lies, 1969 sold to H. Jansenm Düsseldorf renamed Mariana J, 1974 sold to M. Harmstorf, Hamburg not renamed, 1980 scrapped. 198
Meuse (2) 1953 built by Gebr. Sander, Delfzijl (193) | Ordered as Marne II but completed as Meuse, 1962 transferred to Vianda Steamship Co., London, 1970 sold to Brookbank Shipping Co., London renamed Brookbank Trader, 1972 sold to Commercial Ferries, Dublin not renamed, 1973 renamed Silver Trader, 1974 sold to Creska Plovidba, Rijeka, Yugoslavia renamed Pernat, 1977 sold to Brdogradiliste "Cres" Zanatsko Proizvodno i Usluzno Poduzece, Rijeka. 430
Nijenburgh 1939 built by Gebr. Van Diepen, Waterhuizen (844) | ex- Heiny, 1940 purchased from F.J. Groot, Kampen renamed Nijenburgh, 1966 sold to P. Grunqvist & Sonner, Borga, Finland renamed Senta, 1971 sold to Syria renamed Adham. 400
Oise 1926 built by J. Koster Hzn, Scheepswerf Gideon, Groningen | 1953 sold to Kamp’s Scheepvaart Kantoor, 1971 scrapped. 175
Oosterburgh 1953 built by Arnhemsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Arnhem (355) | 1970 transferred to N.V. Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh not renamed, 1972 sold to Greece renamed Volissos, 1975 sold renamed Panagia Paxon, 1978 sold renamed Maria I, 1979 renamed Toula, 1979 sold to Honduras renamed Ifigenia. 499
Osiria 1882 built by F. Schickau GmbH, Elbing (204) | ex- Lahneck, 1896 purchased from DDG Hansa, Bremen renamed Osiria, 1897 sold to A/S Freidig, Norway renamed Freidig, 1917 sold same name, 1918 sank after collision with s/s ARIADNE ALEXANDRA in North Sea. 746
Poolster 1962 built by Scheepswerf Friesland, Lemmer (33) | 1971 transferred to N.V. Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh, 1974 sold to Great Kern Shiping Corp., Curacao renamed Gogo Frio, 1980 sold to Cayman Islands renamed Gogo Reefer, 1982 sold to Panama renamed Chios Frost, 1984 sold renamed Atlantic Reefer, 1985 sold same name, 22 November 1988 damaged by fire in engine room and later declared total loss. 1,004
Professor Buys 1891 built by W. Dobson & Co., Newcastle (49) | ex- Professor Buys built for Zeeuwsche Stoomvaart Mij, Flushing, 1924 purchased from Stoomvaart Maatschappij Friesland not renamed, 1933 scrapped at Ghent. 751
Rapid 1929 built by J. Koster Hzn, Scheepswerf Gideon, Groningen | ex- Rapid, 1931 purchased from Scheepvaart Mij., Globus, Rotterdam not renamed, 1955 sold to R. Pilon, Appingedam, Holland renamed Ameland, 1955 renamed Lutetia, 1972 scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht. 191
Rhenania 1882 built by W. Dobie & Co, Glasgow (123) | 26 April 1912 wrecked on Channel Islands. 1,313
Rozenburgh 1958 built by Van Doornbos De Dollard, Tjamsweer (869) | 1968 sold to Atlantic Coasting Co., Panama renamed Atlantic Coaster, 1969 sold to Italy renamed Sagemar Prima, 1975 sold same name, 1975 sold renamed Addaura, 1981 sold same name, 1999 sold renamed Aqua Azzurra. 499
Sambre 1930 built by Gebr. Pot, Bolnes (819) | 1957 sold to T. U. Lübbert Schepers, Haren, Ems renamed Tomber To, 1970 scrapped. 349
Sandenburgh (1)   see Batavier I (2).  
Sandenburgh (2) 1957 built by Van Doornbos De Dollard, Tjamsweer (868) | 1969 sold to Escala & Navarro Co., Trinidad renamed Mercedes N, 14 January 1988 abandoned by crew near Trinidad towed to Chaguaramas and declared total loss. 499
Scandinavia 1905 built by Rijkee & Co, Rotterdam (118) | 1911 sold to British Petroleum Co., London not renamed, 1915 to Anglo Persian Oil Company, 1917 transferred to Petroleum Steam Ship Company, 1920 transferred to BTC, 5 August 1922 beached following a collision, 6 August 1922 refloated, 20 December 1922 wrecked on Portland Breakwater, wreck sold for demolition. 456
Seine (1) 1928 built by J. Koster Hzn, Scheepswerf Gideon, Groningen (98) | 1935 transferred to Vianda SS Co., London renamed Rhone, 1960 sold to NW Hardinge, London renamed Herb, 1962 sold to R. Lapthorn & Co. Ltd., London renamed Hoocreek, 1971 sold to D. Copestake, Londen, 1972 sold to P.J. Slater, Gravesend renamed Trade Breeze, 1973 sold to Eurohaven Shipping Co., London, 1976 scrapped. 198
Skandia 1899 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland (274) | 1905 sold to Rederiaktieb Lulea Ofoten (P.A. Welin), Stockholm not renamed, 9 November 1915 sunk after collision near Haugesund with s/s FREIKOLL. 4,336
Teutonia 1892 built by Ropner & Sons, Stockton on Tyne (269) | 1911 sold to P. Viale GB, Genoa, Italy renamed Matelot, 1915 sold to Eridania Societa Industriale, Geno renamed Eridania, 4 February 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 3,209
Trompenburgh 1940 built by Gebr. Bodewes Scheepswerf Volharding, Foxhol (101) | Ordered as Karel but completed as Trompenburgh, 1965 sold to Rederij Knevel, Bussum, Holland renamed Holchart, 1971 scrapped. 385
Veenenburgh   see Batavier VII.  
Vreeburgh 1915 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Howden on Tyne (221) | ex- Northwestern Miller built for Norfolk & North American Steam Shipping Co. (Furness, Withy & Co.), ex- Augsburg 1927, 1939 laid up at Dairen, 1940 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd but due to war cause sale didn’t proceed (ship was in Japan), 1940 the company was forced to sell the ship to Teikoku Senpaku K.K. Tokyo, Japan and was renamed Teiru Maru, 19 July 1944 torpedoed and sunk by US submarine USS Guardfish. 6,512
Vrijburgh 1949 built by Werf De Noord, Alblasserdam (625) | 1967 sold to Ubaldo Gennari fu Torquato & Co., Genoa renamed Anna Madre, 1970 sold same name, 1975 sold same name, 1979 sold to Navigazione Alga SpA, Genoa same name, 1983 scrapped. 991
Walenburgh (1) 1938 built by E.J. Smit & Zoon's, Westerbroek (655) | 1966 sold to L. Melloni, Savona, Italy renamed Mirfak, 1971 sold to Societa Pimental SpA, Savona renamed Monte Moro, 1973 sold to Kini Shipping, Piraeus renamed Lisa, 1977 renamed Agia Mavra, 1978 sold to Charidimos Labathakis, Piraeus renamed Irini, 1987 renamed Karlovasi, 1987 scrapped. 496
Walenburgh (2) 1967 built by Gutehoffnungshütte Sterkrade A.G., Walsum (1043) | 1971 transferred to N.V. Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh, 1981 transferred to Scheepvaartbedrijf KNSM-Kroonburgh B.V., 1985 sold to SJS Shipping A/S, Skien-Noorwegen, (Mgr Karl Soderblom) renamed Jonity, 1987 sold to Gunnar Bakke, Namsos, Norway renamed Audtun, 1992 sold to Celcius Trading Corp., San Lorenzo, Honduras renamed Walenburgh, 1993 sold to Cavendisch Shipping Inc., San Lorenzo, Honduras. 499
Wear   see Frigido.  
Wickenburgh (1)   see Batavier VIII.  
Wickenburgh (2) 1938 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck (369) | ex- Adler built for Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Conningsby and laid up at Hull, 1946 allocated to Dutch Government renamed Margeca (Mgr Wm.H. Müller & Co., Rotterdam), 1947 purchased and renamed Wickenburgh, 1953 converted into a motor ship 1,420gt, 1963 sold to Greece renamed Nissos Trader, 1970 renamed Savilco, 1978 sold same name, 1984 scrapped at Eleusis. 1,391
Zeeburgh 1965 built by E.J. Smit & Zoon's, Westerbroek (675) | 1971 transferred to N.V. Scheepvaartbedrijf Kroonburgh, 1979 sold to Soad Mohamed Zarif, Beirut, Lebanon renamed Al Osman, 11 February 1979 stranded northwest of Jersey, 12 February 1979 refloated and repaired, 1981 sold to Y. Kabbani & S. Zarif, Beirut, Lebanon renamed Rose, 1987 sold to Parallel Shipping, San Lorenzo, Honduras, renamed Zeeburgh, 1987 laid up, 1988 sold to Gloriosa Shipping Co., Piraeus,Greece, renamedEleni T, 1990 sold to Gran Maritime Ltd., Panama, renamed Monte Cristo, 1993 sold to Gloriosa Shipping Co., Panama renamed Tropical Sea, 2006 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 499
Zuiderburgh 1906 built by Bonn & Mees, Rotterdam (177) | ex- Maashaven, 1940 purchased from Gebr. Van Uden, Rotterdam renamed Zuiderburgh, 1947 sold to A/B Fanny (A. Johansson), Mariehamm, Finland renamed Fanny, 1959 scrapped. 2,630
 
Vianda Steamship Company Ltd
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Active 1923 built by A.H. Arnold, Bremen | ex- Peter built for own account, ex- Hella Daitz 1925, ex- Ameise 1926, ex- Active 1929, 1931 purchased from N.V. Scheepvaart Mij. “Globus”, Rotterdam not renamed, 1931 sold to S.A. di Navigazione de Ligure Romana, Genoa renamed Campidoglio, 1932 sold to aan La Ligure Romana S.A. di Navigazione Marittima e Fluviale, Genoa, 1953 sold to Travieso & Figueroa, Venezuela renamed San Espedito, 1982 sold to Transporte Maritimo Oriental, 1983 foundered. 414
Aisne 1938 built by Gebr. Van Diepen, Waterhuizen (834) | ex- Hermann Litmeyer built for Gebr. Elfring, Haren/Ems, Germany, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Condee, 1947 allocated to Dutch Government renamed Condee, 1950 purchased renamed Aisne, 1960 sold to Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd., Jersey renamed Clary, 1975 sold to Manuel Garcon, Tangier renamed Marie Elizabeth, 20 February 1976 damaged by fire and abandoned. 215
Catherine Ethel 1906 built by Crabtree & Co. Ltd., Yarmouth | ex- Mistley built for F.W. Horlock, Harwich, ex- Catherine Ethel 1918, 1923 purchased from J. Leete & Son Ltd., London not renamed, 1939 sold to H. Hamlin, London rebuilt into a dredger, 1963 sold to Llanelly Qarries Ltd., London, 1969 scrapped. 157
Meuse   see Meuse (2).  
Rhone   see Seine (1).  
Scheldt (1) 1938 built by E.J. Smit & Zoon's, Westerbroek (654) | 1955 transferred to Wm. Müller & Co., Rotterdam renamed Aardenburgh, 1966 sold to V. Paladini, Italy renamed Vittorio Paladini, 1974 sold same name, 1975 sold same name, 1993 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 499
Scheldt (2) 1959 built by Gebr. Barkmeijer, Vierverlaten (154) | 1970 sold to Metcalf Motor Coasters , London renamed Thomas M, 1970 sold to M.G. Tyrrell, London, 1973 renamed Joan T, 1986 sold to Windlass Marine, Isle of Man renamed Elfi, 2 March 1987 cargo shifted, capsized and sunk. 397
Seine (2)   see Escaut (1).  
Somme 1950 built by Henry Scarr Ltd., Hessle | 1967 sold to Spyros Papageorgiou & Evangelos Chrisafis, Thessaloniki, Greece renamed Doxa, 1970 sold to Mangelanos E.P.E., Thessaloniki renamed Eliva, 1971 renamed Asopi, 1975 sold to Yahusen Inc. de Panama, Panama renamed St. Patrick, 1979 sold to Giovanni Cappita, Panama renamed Antonello, 1990 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 451
Swallow (1) 1905 built by John Fullerton & Co., Paisly (181) | ex- Swift built for R. & W. Paul Ltd., Ipswich, 1923 purchased from J. Leete & Son Ltd., London not renamed, 1935 sold to George Couper & Co. Ltd., Grimsby renamed Grimsdale, 1937 sold to Island Shipping Co. Ltd., Glasgow (Mgr G.G. Jackson & Co. Ltd) renamed Rustoer, 1937 renamed Isle Ornsay, 1947 sold to D.L. MacCorquodale, Glasgow, 1948 sold to Mac Shipping Co. Ltd., Glasgow, 1951 sold to aan Liverpool Derricking & Carrying Co. Ltd., Liverpool, 25 July 1958 sank in Langton Dock, Liverpool. 160
Swallow (2)   see Meuse (1).  
Swift 1904 built by John Fullerton & Co., Paisly (179) | ex- Swift built for R. & W. Paul Ltd., Ipswich, 1923 purchased from J. Leete & Son Ltd., London not renamed, 1935 sold to R.V. Mitchell, London same name, 1939 sold to W.R. Metcalf, London, 1948 sold to The Air Ministry, London renamed Seamoor, 1953 deleted from Register. 155
Vianda 1901 built by Chas. Connell & Co., Glasgow (259) | ex- Indralema built for Indra Line Ltd., Liverpool (T.B. Royden), ex- Port Alma 1916, 1923 purchased from Commonwealth & Dominion Line Ltd., London (Port Line) renamed Vianda, 1926 sold to Pietro Ravano fu Marco, Genoa, Italy, renamed Fidelitas, 1927 sold to Soc. Anon. di Nav. “Unione”, Genoa, 1932 scrapped at Savona. 6,669

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: March 09, 2007 and maintained by and M. Kohli