Red Star Linie G.m.b.H.,
When the Red Star Line was dissolved in 1934 the German
shipowner Arnold M. Bernstein purchased the company and restyled it as
Red Star Linie G.m.b.H, Hamburg and he operated an Antwerp - Southampton
- New York service for a few years under the Red Star Line name.
Arnold M. Bernstein was Jewish and when Adolf Hitler came in power it
became difficult for Jewish people in Germany to own and manage a company. In
January 1937 Arnold M. Bernstein was arrested, as were numerous other
Jews at that time, under the Nazi Aryanization of businesses and was
accused of infringements of the foreign exchange laws. He was
sentenced to 2 ½ years imprisonment and fined $400.000.
Unable to pay this high amount of money the Red Star Linie and another
shipping company owned by him were confiscated.
They were placed under the management of a trustee appointed by the German
Government who would continue to operate both companies until a buyer
could be found.
The PENNLAND and WESTERNLAND were heavily mortgaged and
were sold by the mortgagors to the Holland
Amerika Lijn of Rotterdam
in 1938-39. The other ships of the Red Star Linie were also sold or scrapped.
In August 1939, Mr. Arnold M. Bernstein was released from prison and
went to New York. He became an American Citizen and later
started the American Banner Line.
Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance
in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various
sources. This is not an
all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like
to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship
Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant
Ship web site.
- Antwerp – Havre-Southampton - New York
- Hamburg-Antwerp-New York
||Years in Service
||built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg | ex- California, ex-
Thuringia 1906 built for Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien
Hamburg (Hapag), ex- Maldonado
1916, 1928 purchased from Uruguay by A.M. Bernstein renamed Eberstein,
1941 sold to E. Komrowski not renamed,
||built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | ex- Mamari, 1928
purchased from Shaw, Savill & Albion
Co. by A.M. Bernstein renamed
Gerolstein, 1939 sold to H.C. Horn renamed
Consul Horn, 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed
Consul, 1940 to Kriegsmarine,
1940 reverted to owner renamed Consul Horn, 20th July 1942 sunk
by British airplanes off Borkum.
||built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen | ex- Tranquebar
built for AS Det Ostasiatiske Kompagni (EAC),
Copenhagen, ex- Hansa 1922, 1929 purchased by A.M. Bernstein renamed
Gravestein, 1939 sold
to H.C. Horn not renamed 1939
to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg, 1940 reverted to owner,
27th March 1945 scuttled as blockship
at Gotenhafen, wreck later scrapped.
||built by Workman Clark & Co., Belfast | ex- Matatua,
1929 purchased from Shaw, Savill & Albion Co. by A.M. Bernstein renamed
Ilsenstein, 1939 sold for scrapping to Blyth, used as a blockship
at Scapa Flow, 1951 wreck scrapped.
||built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle
| ex- Arawa, 1928 purchased from Shaw,
Savill & Albion Co. A.M. Bernstein
renamed Königstein, 1939 sold for scrapping to Belgium but resold
to Compagnie Maritime Belge (CMB) renamed Gandia, 22nd January 1942
torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.135 with the loss of 65
||built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | Launched in 1914
but completed in 1922, ex- Pittsburg, 1925-1926 chartered by Red
Star Line from American
Line, 1926 purchased from American
Pennland by Red Star Line,
1935 sold to Bernstein Red Star Linie, Hamburg, 1939 sold to Holland
Amerika Lijn not renamed, 25th April 1941
bombed and heavy damaged by German aircraft in Gulf of Athens, later
sunk by gunfire from British warship with the loss of 4 lives.
||built by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Port
Glasgow | ex- Sharistan built for Frank C. Strick, ex- Siptah 1911,
1930 purchased from Moss Steam Ship Co., Liverpool by A.M. Bernstein
Traunstein, 1939 sold to Robert Bornhofen renamed Luise Bornhofen,
1939 interned at Fayal, 1943 sold to Companhia de Nav. Carregadores
Acoreanos renamed Sete Cidades, 1950 scrapped.
||built by Harland & Wolff, Govan | ex- Regina launched
for the Dominion Line but completed in 1918 for British Government
as a Troop transporter, 1920 completed for White
Star Dominion Line,
1930 transferred from White Star Line to Red
Star Line and renamed
Westernland, 1935 sold to Bernstein Red Star Linie, Hamburg, 1939
sold to Holland Amerika Lijn not renamed, 1943 sold to British Navy,
1947 scrapped at Blyth.
TheShipsList | Return
to The Fleets
TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2015
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion
without written consent of
Last updated: November 30, 2007 and maintained by
and M. Kohli