FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

B.J. Sutherland & Co., Ltd. Newcastle upon Tyne 1892-1954

Arthur Sutherland was born in 1867 at Newcastle and entered service of the Leith and Tyne based shipping firm Lindsay, Gracie & Co. in 1884. In only six years Sutherland rose to become the firm’s chartering clerk before persuading his father Benjamin to raise the necessary capital to build a new ship and set up a shipping company.

In 1892 the SUTHERLAND was completed at W. Dobson & Co. of Newcastle. The SUTHERLAND was quickly followed by second hand acquisitions. In 1896 The Sutherland Steam Ship Co. Ltd. was formed.
In 1898 the first turret ship the CAITHNESS was followed by seven more turret ships between 1898 and 1907 and a further ten were bought second hand.

When World War I broke out the company owned fourteen ships. Between 1915 and 1918 Sutherland bought twenty three secondhand vessels, three ships were sold, one was wrecked, two were lost in collisions and sixteen were lost due to enemy submarines. At the end of 1918 the company owned sixteen ships.

Between 1919 and 1922 Sutherland sold most of its fleet at inflated prices and made a large profit.
In 1932 and 1933 elderly vessels were sold and replaced by more modern previously owned tonnage. Between 1935 and 1940 the company built a new fleet of modern motorships and at the beginning of World War II the company owned six modern ships. The company lost two ships during WWII and sold another two.

In 1946-1947 the last two ships of the company were purchased. Sir Arthur Sutherland died in 1953 at the age of 85 and four vessels were sold. In 1954 the company’s last ship was sold and the company liquidated.

[Turret ship may be found applied to a type of late 19th century commercial ship designed to minimize Suez Canal fees that were based on deck area. These ships are characterized by a narrow 'turret deck' upon which all superstructure was built. This deck sat upon a hull of greater width in which cargo was carried. The type is most commonly associated with a series built by William Doxford and Sons Ltd., Sunderland for trade that required Suez Canal passage. Turret Deck Steamer is a more precise term.]

B. J. Sutherland was a tramp ship company and traded worldwide, but mostly to India and the Far East, Mediterranean and South America.
submitted by Stan Walton, Nanaimo, BC. Canada
Sutherlands also traded between UK and Australia and were engaged in the coal & coke, outwards from the UK and timber and lead homewards from Vancouver, and other British Columbia Ports i.e. New Westminster, Chemainus, Crofton etc.
I served my apprenticeship, being indentured to Sir Arthur Munro Sutherland onboard his m.v. Sutherland 1940 to 1945 during that period we were under the Ministry of War Transport, carrying grain from the Argentine, Munitions from UK to Alexandria, New York to Persian Gulf, Karachi, sugar from Mauritius to India, and Jucaro, Cuba to Hull.
Sutherland also had interests in Tyne Tees S.S. Co. Ltd operating 14 knot coasters, Bell & Dunn, Ship Chandlers
The fleet was well found, maintained and fed.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

Funnel Flag
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Algeriana 1899 built by Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Cebriana built for Furness Withy & Co., ex- Twickenham 1906 for Watts Watts & Co. London, ex- Dettingen 1908 for Agincourt S.S. Co. Ltd, London, ex- Algeriana 1914, 1917 purchased from Furness Withy & Co., not renamed. 21st September 1917 wrecked at Cape Cantia. 4,221
Archbank 1905 built by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Archbank, 1917 purchased from Peareth S.S.Co. Ltd (Beckingham & Co.), Newcastle, 5th June 1918 torpedoed and sunk by submarine UB.105, 240 miles East South East of Malta. 3,767
Argyll (1) 1901 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, 13th April 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.84 with the loss of 22 lives. 3,547
Argyll (2) 1939 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | 1940 to French Government renamed Saint Henri, 1943 returned renamed Argyll, 1954 sold to Jonason, Bray & Co., London renamed Inkeri Nurminen, 1967 sold to I. Tuuli renamed Someri, 1971 scrapped at Split. 4,897
Caithness (1) 1898 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, 19th April 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.52 with the loss of 47 lives. 3,503
Caithness (2) 1902 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Ramsay 1917 purchased from Bolton Steam Shipping Co., not renamed, later that year renamed Caithness, 1919 sold to J. Griffiths, Cardiff same name, 1926 sold to A. Lauro, Naples, Italy renamed Edera, 11th September 1930 wrecked 4nm NNE Ouddorp and scrapped in 1931. 4,318
Caithness (3)   see Sutherland (3).  
Caithness (4) 1935 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1951 sold to Westralian Farmers Transport renamed Swanvalley, 1956 sold to Inch Steamship Co. (Williamson & Co. Ltd ), Hong Kong renamed Incharran,1966 sold to Yong & Lee Timber renamed Star of Victoria, 17th January 1967 foundered. 4,970
Claveresk 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Claveresk, 1909 purchased from Claverhill S.S. Co. Ltd (E. Haslehurst & Co.), London not renamed, 1919 renamed Renfrew, 1920 sold to Western Counties Co. ( E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Ulversmed, 1921 sold to C. de Zabala renamed Mari, 1937 sold to Phoenix Shipping Co. renamed Houstone, 1938 sold to C. Strubin & Co. renamed Lake Neuchatel, 21st October 1939 scuttled Kirk Sound, Scapa Flow. 3,829
Claverley 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Claverley, 1909 purchased from Claverley Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (E. Haslehurst & Co.), London not renamed, 20th August 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine UB.38 with the loss of 10 lives near Eddystone Lighthouse. 3,846
Clivegrove 1906 built by J. Priestman, Southwick | ex- Clivegrove, 1917 purchased from Grove S.S.Co. Ltd (S. Furneaux & Co.), London not renamed, 1919 renamed Fife, 1920 sold to Western Counties Co. (E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Yorkmead, 1921 sold to E.K. Vlassopoulos renamed Makis, 11th June 1940 mined and sunk near Pantelleria Island. 3,546
Coventina 1880 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | ex- Coventina, 1893 purchased from A.M. Cohen & Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1898 sold, 15th May 1900 wrecked. 1,645
Cromarty (1) 1892 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Abendana, 1898 purchased from Graham S.S. Co. Ltd (J. Graham & Co.), Newcastle renamed Cromarty, 1919 sold to SM Belge renamed General Michel, 1922 scrapped at Genoa. 2,742
Cromarty (2) 1919 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Govan | ex- War Jasmine built for the Shipping Controller, 1919 purchased renamed Cromarty, 1920 sold to Western Counties Co. (E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Highmead, 1922 sold to Sota & Aznar renamed Astoi Mendi, 1939 to Aznar renamed Monte Negro, 22nd December 1950 wrecked off Takoradi breakwater. 5,263
Cromarty (3) 1930 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Howden on Tyne | ex- Petersfield, 1933 purchased from Woodfield Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (Woods, Tylor & Brown), London renamed Cromarty, 1933 sold to Maatschappij Zeevaart, Rotterdam renamed Arundo, 28th April 1942 near coast of New Jersey at Light Vessel Ambrose torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.136 with the loss of 6 lives. 5,163
Cromarty (4) 1936 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Skipsea, 1938 purchased from Sea S.S. Co. Ltd (Brown, Atkinson & Co.), Hull renamed Cromarty, 1953 sold to J. Larsson , Sweden renamed Ostbris, 1958 sold to J.E. Manne & Co. renamed Carla, 1959 sold to East German Goverment renamed Steckenpferd, 1968 sold to V. Haji Ioannou renamed Pelopidas 2, 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung.
4,974
Dipton 1906 built by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Dipton, 1917 purchased from Peareth S.S.Co. Ltd (Beckingham & Co.), Newcastle, 5th November 1918 sunk in collision with WAR HIND in English Channel. 3,811
Dumfries (1) 1905 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Carthusian, 1915 purchased from J. Mathias & Sons, Aberystwyth renamed Dumfries, 19th May 1915 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.27 near Trevose Head with the loss of 1 life. 4,121
Dumfries (2) 1901 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Corinthia, 1917 purchased from International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby not renamed, 1919 renamed Dumfries, 1919 sold to J. Griffiths, Glasgow not renamed, 1933 scrapped. 3,625
Dumfries (3) 1935 built by Hawthorn, Leslie & Co. Ltd., Hebburn | 1941 sold to Gydnia America Line, 13th December 1944 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.772. 5,149
Dumfries (4) 1945 built by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields | ex- Empire Rabaul built for Ministry of War Transport, 1947 purchased renamed Dumfries, 1953 sold to Chine Shipping Co. (Anglo Danubian Transport Co.), London renamed Charles Dickens, 1956 sold to Yugoslav Government renamed Pohorje, 1967 scrapped at Trieste. 7,307
Dunrobin (1) 1903 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ordered as Harefield, 24th November 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.53 with the loss of 31 lives near Lizard. 3,617
Dunrobin (2) 1911 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Etolia, 1917 purchased from International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby not renamed, 1919 renamed Dunrobin, 1920 sold to Western Counties Co. (E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Neathermead, 1921 sold to G.P. Sechiari renamed Eirene Ariadne, 1924 sold to E.M. Trattles renamed Latchmere, 1931 sold to G. Barta renamed Puszta, 17th April 1934 wrecked Block Island. 3,733
Elgin 1906 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, 1920 sold to Western Counties Co. (E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Gwynmead, 1929 sold to C. Abrahamsen renamed Virgo, 1936 scrapped at Grays. 3,842
Fife (1) 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 15th February 1917 lost in collision with HMCS COLUMBELLA. 3,918
Fife (2)   see Clivegrove.  
Fife (3) 1929 built by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Burntisland | ex- Penybryn, 1932 purchased from Lundegaard & Sons renamed Fife, 1936 sold to Counties Shipmanagement renamed Leith Hill, 1937 to Kulukundis & Pateras, Piraeus, Greece renamed Mount Aetna, 1952 sold to E. Frangos renamed Euphrates, 1954 sold to J. Livanos & Sons renamed Nevada, 1959 scrapped at Osaka. 4,233
Florentia 1912 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, Willington | ex- Florentia, 1917 purchased from International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby not renamed, 29th June 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB.88 near South Cheek, Robin Hood’s Bay with the loss of 3 lives. 3,688
Forfar (1) 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Braziliana, 1915 purchased from British Maritime Trust Ltd, London (Furness, Withy & Co.) renamed Forfar, 4th December 1917 torpedoed and sunk by UC.17 115 miles WSW of Lizard on voyage Blyth to Gibraltar with Admiralty cargo, 3 lost. 3,827
Forfar (2) 1912 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, Willington | ex- Thessalia, 1917 purchased from International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby not renamed, 1919 renamed Forfar, 1922 sold to Greece renamed Thrasyvoulos, 30th October 1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 3,691
Hatumet 1905 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Hatumet, 1918 purchased from Hathor S.S. Co.( H.B. & A.Gourlay) London, not renamed, 1919 renamed Rassay, 1932 scrapped at Gateshead. 4,147
Inverness (1) 1899 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Beechmore, 1899 purchased from Belgian Maritime Trading Co. Ltd (W. Johnston & Co.), Liverpool renamed Inverness, 1901 sold to Burrakur Coal Co. renamed Flamingo, 1912 sold to A. Parodi, Italy renamed Trento, 7th August 1917 captured and sunk by submarine. 3,314
Inverness (2) 1902 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret ordered as Ross, 1920 sold to J. Griffiths, Cardiff not renamed, 1929 sold to S.G. Farkouh renamed Morias, 1933 scrapped at Savona. 3,734
Inverness (3) 1940 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | 9th July 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.98 4,897
Inverness (4) 1945 built by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Burntisland | ex- Empire Freetown built for Ministry of War Transport, 1946 purchased renamed Inverness, 1953 sold to Turnbull, Scott & Co. renamed Redgate, 1963 sold to Panama renamed Agia Elpis, 1967 sold to Cyprus same name, 1968 scrapped. 7,131
Irismere 1906 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Irismere, 1916 purchased from Irismere Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (G. Jacques & Co.), Newcastle, 1920 sold to T. Law & Co. renamed Duns Law, 1928 sold to G.M. Chapira renamed Volta, 1930 soldto Farkouh & Olivier renamed Monitor, 1935 scrapped at Trieste. 3,673
Isle of Jura 1906 built by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Elloe built for Bennetts & Co., Grimsby, ex- Isle of Jura 1912, 1916 purchased from Isles Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (Dixon Robson & Co.), Newcastle not renamed, 8th June 1917 captured and sunk by submarine U.39 near Cape Spartel with the loss of 2 lives. 3,809
Isle of Lewis 1903 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Isle of Lewis, 1916 purchased from Isles Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (Dixon Robson & Co.), Newcastle not renamed, 1919 renamed Jura, 1920 sold to Noguchi Kisen, Japan renamed Omona Maru, 11th October 1923 wrecked off Taneichi. 3,067
Isle of Mull 1906 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Belle of Ireland built for Belle of Ireland S.S.Co Ltd (Crow, Rudolf), Liverp, 1916 purchased from Isles Steam Shipping Co. Ltd (Dixon Robson & Co.), Newcastle not renamed, 1919 renamed Mull, 1920 sold to Tamon Kisen, Japan renamed Tamon Maru No.18, 9th May 1929 wrecked Yesan Point, Esamisaki. 4,230
Kincardine (1) 1906 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Countess Warwick, 1915 purchased from Countess Warwick S.S. Co. Ltd (W.J. Williams), Cardiff renamed Kincardine, 3rd March 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.70. 4,108
Kincardine (2) 1920 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1922 sold to T. Bowen Rees & Co. renamed Antar, 1932 sold to H.M. Thomson renamed Artemisia, 14th March 1941 bombed and sunk. 6,503
Kinross (1) 1911 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | 7th May 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine UC.48. 4,120
Kinross (2) 1902 built by Richardson Duck & Co., Stockton | ex- Kingfield, 1919 purchased from Field S.S. Co. Ltd (E. Aston), Stockton renamed Kinross, 1920 sold to Roberts Price P. renamed Kenmare, 1926 sold to J.T. Galakis renamed Pytheas, 1932 sold to USSR renamed Shakhter, 1960 deleted from Register. 3,122
Kinross (3) 1918 built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co. Ltd, Middlesborough | ex- War Spartan, tanker built for the Shipping Controller, 1919 purchased by Lloyd Royal Belge (G.B.), London rebuilt into a dry cargo ship renamed Taxandrier, 1923 transferred to Belgian flag, 1927 sold to Sutherland SS Co., Newcastle renamed Kinross, 1934 sold to Carras Bros, Chios renamed Carras, 19th March 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.666. 5,242
Kinross (4) 1935 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1941 sold to Gydnia America Line, 24th June 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.203. 4,956
Laughton 1882 built by Raylton,Dixon & Co, Middlesborough | ex- Noord Braband, 1893 purchased from Stoomvaart Mij. Rotterdam, Rotterdam renamed Laughton, 1899 disappeared at sea. 2,404
Lotusmere 1908 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Lotusmere, 1916 purchased from Alnmere S.S. Co. Ltd (G. Jacques & Co.), Newcastle, 2nd October 1916 torpedoed and sunk by submarine U.48. 3,911
Nairn (1) 1904 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, 1904 sold to J. Murray, Glasgow. 3,627
Nairn (2) 1929 built by C. Connell Ltd., Glasgow | ex- Lammer Law, 1932 purchased from T. Law & Co. renamed Nairn, 1934 sold to Italy renamed Ventotto Ottobre, 8th December 1941 scuttlet at Phuket. 4,971
North Gwalia 1888 built by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields | ex- North Gwalia, 1907 purchased from Hugh Roberts & Son, Newcastle not renamed, 25th April 1909 lost in collision. 2,176
Peebles (1) 1911 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | 30th October 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine UB.18 near Flamborough Head. 4,284
Peebles (2) 1919 built by Richardson Duck & Co., Stockton | Launched as War Petunia for the Shipping Controller, completed as Peebles, 1933 sold to D.J. Dambassis renamed Heleni D, 1939 sold to Portobello renamed Culebra, 1948 sold to E. Szabados renamed Renata, 1955 sold to A. Ravano renamed Valcerusa, 1959 scrapped at Yokohama. 5,260
Peebles (3) 1930 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Gracechurch, 1933 purchased from Gracechurch Shipping Co. Ltd (James, Muers), London renamed Peebles, 1936 sold to Counties Ship Management renamed Mill Hill, 30th August 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.32 while in Convoy HX 66A with the loss of all hands. 4,318
Peebles (4) 1936 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1951 sold to Westralian Farmers Transport renamed Swanstream, 1957 sold to J. Manners & Co., Hong Kong renamed San Fernando, 1965 sold to Yong & Lee Timber renamed Phoenician Star, 1967 scrapped at Hong Kong. 4,982
Pretoria 1900 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Pretoria, 1917 purchased from International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby not renamed, 1919 renamed Sanday, 1922 sold to E.R. Retzlaf, Stettin renamed Ymir, 1934 scrapped. 3,700
Priestfield 1901 built by Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Priestfield, 1918 purchased from Priestfield S.S. Co. Ltd (Beckingham & Co.), Newcastle, 1919 sold to F. Sarasolo, Spain renamed Donato, 1922 sold to Frew, Elder & Co. renamed Bedecrag, 1928 sold to Slobodna Plovidba, Yugoslavia renamed Kolocep, 1934 scrapped at Trieste. 4,033
Rassay   see Hatumet.  
Renfrew (1) 1898 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Meridan, 1915 purchased from G. Horsley & Son, West Hartlepool renamed Renfrew, 3rd July 1915 sunk by gunfire from submarine U.39 near Wolf Rock. 3,488
Renfrew (2) 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Galavale, 1917 purchased from Vale S.S. Co. Ltd (Crawford, Barr), Glasgow renamed Renfrew, 24th February 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.91 near St. Ann's Head with the loss of 41 lives. 3,830
Renfrew (3)   see Claveresk.  
Rhodesian 1890 built by R. Stephenson, Hebburn | ex- Matatua built for Shaw, Savill & Albion, ex- Rhodesian 1904, 1906 purchased from Australian Rhodesian SS Co. not renamed, 1916 sold to H. Ligton not renamed, 1917 sold to W.S. Miller & Co. renamed Ellaston, 16th March 1918 captured and sunk by submarine U.34. 3,393
Ross 1936 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 29th October 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.159. 4,978
Roxburgh (1) 1906 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, ex- Drumeldrie, 1912 purchased from Astral Shipping Co .Ltd (J. Chadwick), Liverpool renamed Roxburgh, 4th march 1918 torpedoed and sunk by submarine UC.74 near Cape St. John, Crete with the loss of 6 lives. 4,630
Roxburgh (2) 1908 built by Richardson Duck & Co., Stockton | ex- Cressington Court, 1918 purchased from Cressington S.S. Co. Ltd (Haldinstein & Co.), London renamed Roxburgh, 1922 sold to Tyneside Shipping Co. (J. Ridley & Son & Tully) not renamed, 1924 sold to Carras Bros renamed Fotini, 1925 renamed Fotini Carras, 1935 sold to Westbourne Shipping Co. and scrapped as Hillcote. 4,396
Roxburgh (3) 1935 built by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Burntisland | 1937 sold to Counties Ship Management, London renamed Tower Field, 19th October 1941 stranded at Workington, repaired, to Ministry of War Transport renamed Empire Tower, 05th March 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.130. 4,251
Scarpa 1903 built by Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Wilster, 1919 purchased from Trechmann S.S. Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool renamed Scarpa, 18th November 1920 badly damaged in stranding, refloated repaired and sold in 1922 to M.M. Pithis & Co., Greece renamed Amazon, 1930 sold to M. Kulukundis renamed Neraida, 1938 sold to Balkans & Near East renamed Anna S, 1939 sold to P.S. Antippas renamed Takis, 1940 sold to Pont Brule renamed Frederick, 1942 sold to Red Cross Transports renamed Caritas I, 1st January 1947 damaged in collision near Flushing and beached. 2,759
Stirling 1935 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1936 sold to A.F. Klaveness & Co., Oslo renamed Stirlingville, 1959 sold renamed Georgios M II, 20th November 1968 sunk after explosion and fire. 4,995
Stroma 1910 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd, Willington | ex- Leucadia, 1917 purchased from International S.S. Co. Ltd (Marwood), Whitby not renamed, 1919 renamed Stroma, 1919 sold to Greece renamed Papalemos, 28th May 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.107. 3,748
Sutherland (1) 1892 built by W. Dobson & Co., Newcastle on Tyne | 1900 sold to P. Ibanez, Spain renamed Carranza, 11th September 1908 foundered off Armen Rocks. 2,279
Sutherland (2) 1901 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Turret, 17th January 1916 sunk by gunfire from submarine U.35. 3,547
Sutherland (3) 1918 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | Launched as War Aspen for The Shipping Controller, completed as Sutherland for B.J. Sutherland & Co., 1920 sold to Western Counties Co. (E. Edwards Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Southmead, 1921 sold to Mcllwraith MacEacharn renamed Koolonga, 1929 repurchased renamed Caithness, 1935 sold to Jubilee Steam Nav. Co., (F.S. Dawson) Newcastle, renamed David Dawson, 1936 sold to Avon Steamship Co. Ltd (M. Whitwill & Son ), Bristol renamed Avon River, 16th September 1936 wrecked Hudson Bay. 5,277
Sutherland (4) 1919 built by Vickers Armstrongs Ltd, Barrow | ex- War Ruler built for the Shipping Controller, tanker completed as Gasconier for Lloyd Royal Belge (G.B.), London, 1923 transferred to Belgian flag, 1926 sold to Sutherland SS Co., Newcastle renamed Sutherland, 1934 sold to E.M.Tricoglu, Andros, Greece renamed Nikos T, 1948 sold to Kaphireus Maritime Co, Andros, 1950 sold to Verde Linea, Panama renamed Ernesto, 1951 sold to Nissan Kisen KK, Tokyo renamed Nittai Maru, 1956 sold renamed Meitai Maru, 1959 scrapped in Japan. 5,175
Sutherland (5) 1935 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1936 sold to Furness, Withy & Co. For the Prince Line renamed British Prince, 26th September 1941 sunk by German bombers off Hornsea as she was approaching the Thames estuary. 4,956
Sutherland (6) 1938 built by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields | 1939 sold to Clydesdale Nav. Co. (G. Nisbet & Co.), Glasgow renamed Blaircova, 1961 sold to T.Y. Chao renamed Ocean Venture, 1st September 1962 wrecked north side Harbour Island, Tolo, Hong Kong. 5,083
Sutherland (7) 1940 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1953 sold to Chapman & Willan renamed Grainton, 1957 sold to Buries Markes renamed La Bahia, 1961 sold to M.J. Lemos Co. renamed San John, 1965 renamed Ledra, 11th November 1967 wrecked. 5,172
Taransay 1919 built by Napier & Miller Ltd., Glasgow | Laid down as War Teasel for the Shipping Controller, completed as Taransay, 1933 sold to P.M. Nomikos renamed Marietta Nomikos, 1939 seized by Germans renamed Drau, 17th October 1945 scuttled Skagerrak. 5,241

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: October 09, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli