FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

A. H. Bull & Company, New York (1902-1963) / Baltimore Insular Line Inc.

Archibald H. Bull was the founder of the British-flagged New York and Porto Rico Steamship Co. in 1885, which succeeded an earlier line of sailing packets on the same route that he had established in 1873. In 1900, his stake in the company was bought out by his partners in a hostile takeover, and Bull was forced to give up running steamers to Puerto Rico for 10 years. In 1902 he set up the Bull Line to serve the US Atlantic coastwise trade and operate sailing vessels to Puerto Rico and by 1917 when the United States entered the war, fifteen ships had been acquired or built for the fleet.
In 1914, A. H. Bull bought the Insular Line, which had been established in 1904 as a successor to his old company, and renamed it the Baltimore Insular Line.
After the Armistice, services were inaugurated to the eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea and to the Azores, Canary Islands and West Africa. These were abandoned in 1924 and a new service inaugurated to South and East Africa, but again, in 1927 the service was ended and the fleet concentrated on the Atlantic coastal service and sailings to the West Indies.

In 1923 A.H. Bull commenced a passenger service with the introduction of the CATHERINE sailing on overnight trips between San Juan and St. Thomas. This service was supplemented in 1930 by the BARBARA on the Baltimore San Juan route.
The Second World War disrupted all passenger services and the BARBARA was lost and although the CATHERINE survived the war she was immediately sold to British buyers.

The first two ocean-going ships to be built in the USA after the World War I programme, were for the Bull Line, the ANGELINA and the MANUELA, built in 1934 and the forerunners of the C1 type which they resembled. Both were lost in 1942. Seventeen ships were lost and three taken over by the US government in World War II. When war ceased in 1945 there were twelve ships in the fleet.

Purchases were made in 1946-1947 to start to rebuild the fleet, three Liberty colliers POWELLTON SEAM, CHILTON SEAM and FREEPORT SEAM being renamed in Bull nomenclature of Christian names, to become EVELYN, MAE and EDITH, two of them for the associated Baltimore Insular Line.
Five Liberty dry cargo ships were purchased in the following year and five of the C2 type WHEATLAND, GOLDEN FLEECE, SWEEPSTAKES, DUPLIN and WOODFORD. All five C2's had refrigerated space and side ports installed; necessary for the Puerto Rico service.

The Porto Rico Line’s flagship the Boriquen was purchased in 1949, refurbished and renamed PUERTO RICO and dispatched her on the New York San Juan passenger run. The service was to expensive and the PUERTO RICO was laid up in 1953 and sold in 1954 to the Arosa Line and renamed Arosa Star.

Further purchases of war built standard ships were made in 1949 with the C2 AGWICOMET (ex CARRIER DOVE) and the C1-M-AV1 type ship CINCH KNOT and in 1951 with two more dry cargo Liberty ships. In 1954 two more C2's were acquired from the New York & Cuba Mail SS Co.
Bull's heirs eventually failed to see the wave of containerization coming, and sold out in 1957 to the American Coal & Shipping Inc., and then, in 1961, under Kulukundis Maritime Industries Inc., of Manuel K. Kulukundis, the sale involving eight C2 and seven Liberty ships, these Greece Companies went bankrupt around 1963 and by 1965 the company ceased to own any vessels.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel & Flags:

Fleet:

Funnel Flag Flag
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Angelina (1) 1934 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | 17th October 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.618 while in convoy ON137 with the loss of 47 lives. 4,772
Angelina (2) 1943 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- Ben E. Dixon, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Angelina, 1961 returned to US Government, 1963 scrapped at Bordentown, Jersey City. 7,191
Ann Marie 1945 built by Walter Butler Shipbuilding, Superior | ex- Cinch Knot, standard type C1-M-AV1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1949 purchased from Ward Line renamed Ann Marie, 1955 sold to South Korea renamed Mokpo, 1975 scrapped. 3,805
Arlyn (1) 1919 built by Pusey & Jones Co., Glouchester, New Jersey | ex- Castle Wood, 1925 purchased renamed Arlyn, 28th August 1942 torpedoed and damaged by German submarine U. 165 while in convoy SG6S, later torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.517 with the loss of 9 lives. 3,304
Arlyn (2) 1942 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- William Rawle, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Arlyn, 6th June 1958 aground Silver Bank, Dominican Republic, refloated and returned to San Juan but CTL and scrapped San Juan. 7,191
Barbara (1) 1918 built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corp., Manitowoc, Wisconsin | Launched as War Meteor completed as Lake Winthrop for United States Shipping Board, 1925 purchased renamed Barbara, 1929 sold to C.A.J. Naess, Oslo, Norway not renamed, 1929 sold to R. Bekmans, Riga, Latvia same name, 1930 sold to Norna Reederei G.m.b.H, Danzig (D. Lexow) renamed Norna, 16th September 1931 wrecked off Grimma LH, S Rorvik and scrapped at Stavanger in 1932. 2,150
Barbara (2) 1913 built by William Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia | ex- Santa Cruz, 1930 purchased from Grace Line renamed Barbara, 7th March 1942 torpedoed on fire and sunk by German submarine U.126 with the loss of 34 lives. 4,637
Beatrice (1) 1917 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | 24th May 1942 shelled and sunk by German submarine U.558 with the loss of 1 life. 3,451
Beatrice (2) 1944 built by North Carolina Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Del. | ex- Wheatland, standard ship type C2-S-AJ3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Beatrice, 1964 sold renamed Bangor, 1968 sold to Sea King Corp, New York renamed Grand Loyalty, December 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,191
Betty 1918 built by Superior Shipbuilding Company, Superior | ex- Lake Agomac built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Betty Weems 1924, 1931 purchased from Baltimore & Carolina S.S.Co. Inc., Baltimore renamed Betty, 14th August 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.59 near Tory Island with the loss of 30 lives. 2,340
Carolyn (1) 1899 built by Turnbull & Sons, Whitby | ex- Parkgate, 1904 purchased from Turnbull, Scott & Co., London renamed Carolyn, 6th June 1916 wrecked 1nm SE Gorodetskiy LH. 2,242
Carolyn (2) 1912 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | 1942 to US Navy renamed Atik used as a Q ship, 26th March 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.123. 3,140
Carolyn (3) 1942 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- Richard Bassett, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Carolyn, 1948 to Baltimore Insular Line, 1961 returned to US Government, 1962 scrapped at Panama City. 7,191
Catherine 1918 built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corp., Manitowoc, Wisconsin | Launched as War Mist but completed as Lake Greenwood for United States Shipping Board, 1920 renamed Catherine, 1921 purchased not renamed, 1941 to US Navy renamed Stratford, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission renamed Catherine, 1947 sold to Culliford Shipping Co., London renamed Granton Glen, 1948 to E.T. Radcliffe & Co., London, 1951 sold to Soc. Franco-Belge de Commerce & d'Armement, Marseilles renamed Anne de Bretagne, 1954 to Cie Marit. Intercontinentale & Commerciale, Marseilles, 1956 scrapped at Vado Ligure. 2,286
Clare 1915 built by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | 20th May 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.103 off Cuba. 3,372
Cornelia 1916 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | 1950 scrapped at Fieldsbro’ NJ. 3,129
Dora 1918 built by American Shipbuilding Corp., Buffalo | ex- Lake Galera built for United States Shipping Board, Dora Weems 1925, 1931 purchased from Baltimore & Carolina S.S. Co. Inc., Baltimore renamed Dora, 1937 sold to Italo-Baltica renamed Sniafiocco, 1940 sold to P. Trucchi renamed Sereno, 20th July 1940 bombed and sunk at Tobruk harbour. 2,316
Dorothy (1) 1898 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Wilster, 1902 purchased from Trechmann S.S.Co. Ltd,. West Hartlepool renamed Dorothy, 14th Janiary 1923 wrecked 10nm NW Puerto Plata. 2,101
Dorothy (2) 1918 built by Harlan & Hollingsworth, Wilmington, Delaware | ex- Biran built for United Fruit Co., 1918 requisitioned by US Shipping Board, 1923 laid up, 1924 purchased from United Fruit Co. renamed Dorothy, 1st September 1929 sunk in collision off Smith's Point, Chesapeake Bay. 2,853
Dorothy (3) 1918 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | Launched as War Dolphin but completed as Cape Henry for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased renamed Dorothy, 1st September 1929 sunk in collision off Smith’s Point. (Miramar says; 1952 sold to B. Haniotis renamed Carmen, 1953 sold renamed Elaine, 1953 scrapped at Baltimore). 4,647
Dorothy (4) 1943 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- Henry L. Benning standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Dorothy, 1961 renamed Emma, 1963 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London, Indian flag renamed Nanak Jayanti, 1967 scrapped at Bombay. 7,191
Dorothy (5) 1945 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | ex- Marine Fox, type C4-S-B2 built for United States Maritime Commission completed as a troop transport for operation by the WSA, 1961 sold to A.H. Bull renamed Dorothy, 1962 partially converted into a container ship renamed Mobile, 1964 sold to Sealand Services Inc. renamed Seattle, 1969 converted into a container ship and renamed Pittsburgh 11,449gt, 1988 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 11,757
Edith (1) 1898 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Glenochil, 1901 purchased from J. Potter & Co. renamed Edith, 30th August 1915 foundered off Cape Hinchenbrook, Alaska. 2,424
Edith (2) 1915 built by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | 7th June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.159 with the loss of 2 lives. 3,382
Edith (3) 1945 built by Delta Shipbuilding Company, New Orleans, Louisiana | ex- Freeport Seam, Collier, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-AW1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Edith, 1963 scrapped at Hirao. 6,643
Elizabeth (1) 1919 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Wilmington | ex- Macomet built for United States Shipping Board, 1922 purchased renamed Elizabeth, 4th November 1935 wrecked. 3,438
Elizabeth (2) 1918 built by Standard Shipbuilding Corp., Shooter’s Island, New York | ex- Muscatine built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Floridian 1928, 1936 purchased from American Hawaiian Steam Ship Co. renamed Elizabeth, 20th May 1942 shelled torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.103 with the loss of 6 lives. 4,727
Elizabeth (3) 1945 built by North Carolina Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, NC. | ex- Sweepstakes, standard ship type C2-S-AJ1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Elizabeth, 1963 sold renamed Adams, 1963 sold renamed Southport II, June 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,191
Ellenor 1920 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Delaware | ex- Mason City, 1922 purchased from United States Shipping Board renamed Ellenor, 1946 sold renamed Marcella, 21st March 1958 wrecked 1 nm off Nuevitas, 1958 scrappped at Jacksonville. 3,483
Emilia (1) 1918 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | Launched as War Mercury but completed as Cape Romain for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased renamed Emilia, 1951 sold to Brasile Shipping Co., Honduras renamed Isabel, 1953 sold to Cia Comercial y Financiera Sudamericana, Panama renamed Rosalind, 1956 to Overseas Enterprise Inc., Panama, 3rd. February 1956 foundered in bad weather at 33.21N 27.50E. 4,719
Emilia (2) 1944 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Pampero, standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, ex- Agwiking 1947, ex- Siboney 1950, ex- Plandome 1954, 1954 purchased from New York & Cuba Mail SS Co. renamed Emilia, 1963 sold renamed Taddei Village, 15th March 1964 grounded and scrapped. 8,191
Emma   see Dorothy (4)  
Evelyn (1) 1912 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | 1942 to US Navy renamed Asterion used as a Q ship, 1944 used as a weather ship, 1946 scrapped. 3,140
Evelyn (2) 1945 built by Delta Shipbuilding Company, New Orleans, Louisiana | ex- Powellton Seam, Collier, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-AW1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Evelyn, 1963 scrapped at Hirao. 6,643
Frances (1) 1919 built by McDougall Duluth, Duluth | ex- Chautauque built for United States Maritime Commission, ex- Frances Weems 1925, 1931 purchased from Baltimore & Carolina S.S.Co. Inc., Baltimore renamed Frances, 1940 sold to Bowater Pulp & Paper renamed North Brook, 1946 sold to West China Dev. Corp. renamed Pei Chuen, 20th May 1948 wrecked Chiengtieng Rocks, Nantung. 2,323
Frances (2) 1944 built by North Carolina Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, NC. | ex- Golden Fleece, standard ship type C2-S-AJ1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Frances, 1964 to Marad renamed Delaware, November 1968 scrapped at Portland. 8,191
Georgeanna 1916 built by Harlan & Hollingworth Corp., Wilmington, Delaware | ex- Georgeanne Weems 1929 purchased from Baltimore & Carolina S.S. Co. Inc., Baltimore renamed Georgeanna, 1942 sold to United Fruit Co. Honduras flag renamed Georgeanna, 1951 scrapped. 2,089
Helen 1916 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | 1951 scrapped at Bordentown. 3,129
Hilton (1) 1912 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydocking Corp., Newport News | 1935 sold renamed Hercules and converted into a barge, 1951 scrapped at Norfolk. 3,102
Hilton (2) 1918 built by Standard Shipbuilding Corp., Shooter’s Island, New York | Laid down as War Unit, launched as Passaic completed as Ice King for United States Shipping Board, ex- Georgian 1928, 1936 purchased from Strachan's Southern SS Co., Savannah. renamed Hilton, 1950 scrapped at Fieldsbro’ NJ. 4,741
Hilton (3) 1944 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- Morris Hillquit, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Hilton, 1963 sold to Jayanti Shipping Co., Bombay & London, Indian flag renamed Govind Jayanti, 1966 scrapped at Hamburg. 7,191
Ines 1946 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California | ex- Carrier Dove, standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, ex- Agwicomet 1947, 1949 purchased from New York & Cuba Mail SS Co. renamed Ines, 1963 sold renamed Jackson, 1963 sold renamed Bonanza, 1964 sold renamed Express Virginia, 1966 sustained bottom damage and laid up, 1969 scrapped. 8,191
Irene 1919 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Delaware | ex- Bethnor built for for United States Shipping Board, 1922 purchased renamed Irene, 1939 sold to G. Hansen, Norway renamed Nidarholm, 12th February 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.26. 4,902
Isobel 1919 built by McDougall Duluth, Duluth | ex- Chappell built for United States Maritime Commission, ex- Isobel Weems 1926, 1931 purchased from Baltimore & Carolina S.S. Co. Inc., Baltimore renamed Isobel, 1937 sold to Italo-Baltica renamed Lanital, 1938 sold to G. d'Ali & Co. renamed Erice, 14th May 1943 bombed and sunk at Civitavecchia. 2,323
Jean (1) 1909 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydocking Corp., Newport News | 1926 sold to A. Calafatis renamed Margarita Calafati, 1927 sold to C.D. Calafatis renamed Gladstone, 1928 sold to M. Sandberg & Co. renamed Sports, 1941 seized by Germans renamed Magdalena, 1947 returned to owners renamed renamed Sports, 1954 scrapped at Dunstan. 3,126
Jean (2) 1918 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | Launched as War Shark but completed as Cape Lookout for United States Shipping Board, ex- Koskiuszko 1919, 1929 purchased from Polish American Navigation Corp., New York renamed Jean, 1954 scrapped at Baltimore. 4,902
Jean (3) 1944 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Sovereign of the Seas, standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, ex- Agwidale 1948, ex- Oriente 1950, ex- Short Hills 1954, 1955 purchased from New York & Cuba Mail SS Co. renamed Jean, 1964 sold renamed Oceanic Tide, March 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,191
Kathryn 1944 built by North Carolina Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Del. | ex- Duplin, standard ship type C2-S-AJ3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Katryn, 1964 sold to E.J. Smith & Co. renamed Bangor, 1968 sold renamed Dearborn, 1963 sold to Oriental Exporters renamed Rio Grande, 1965 to Marad, December 1971 scrapped at Portland. 8,191
Lillian 1922 built by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Delaware | ex- Maddequet built for for United States Shipping Board, 1922 purchased renamed Lillian, 27th February 1939 sunk after collision. 3,482
Mae (1) 1918 built by Skinner & Eddy Corp., Seattle | ex- West Eldara built for for United States Shipping Board, 1936 purchased renamed Mae, 17th September 1942 torpedoed, shelled and sunk by German submarine U.515 with the loss of 1 life. 5,607
Mae (2) 1945 built by Delta Shipbuilding Company, New Orleans, Louisiana | ex- Chilton Seam, Collier, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-AW1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased renamed Mae, 1963 scrapped at Hirao. 6,643
Manuela 1934 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | 24th June 1942 torpedoed and damaged by German submarine U.404 while in convoy with the loss of 2 lives, 25th June 1942 sunk. 4,772
Margaret 1916 built by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Maryland | 15th April 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.571 off east coast of USA and lost with all hands. 3,352
Marina (2) 1942 built by Pusey & Jones Co., Wilmington, Delaware | Standard ship type C1-A, 16th January 1945 struck mine at Le Havre, beached, refloated and scrapped at Philadelphia. 5,028
Marina (3) 1942 built by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- Thaddeus Kosciuszko, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Marina, 1954 sold to Isla Colon Cia. Nav., Panama renamed Acritas, 10th Mary 1956 aground Cape Verde Islands, refloated but CTL. Towed to Lubeck and repaired, 1956 sold to Elias Cia. Mar., Panama renamed Elias, 1964 renamed Georges, 20th September 1962 aground North Russia at 69.52N 61.10E, broke up. 7,191
Marjory 1919 built by Mc Dougall Duluth Shipbuilding Co., Duluth, Minnesota | ex- Chamberino built for for United States Shipping Board, ex- Marjory Weems 1928, 1931 purchased from Baltimore & Carolina S.S.Co Inc., Baltimore renamed Marjory, 11th February 1952 wrecked Maasvlakte Bank, Hook of Holland and scrapped in Amsterdam. 2,323
Mary 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Laid down as Cassimir but completed as Cody for United States Shipping Board, 1925 taken over with Tampa Interocean Lines by Lykes, 1933 transferred to Lykes Brothers Steamship Company, 1939 purchased renamed Mary, 3rd March 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.129 near Georgetown. 5,543
Millinocket 1910 built by Maryland Steel Co., Sparrow’s Point, Md | 1919 chartered to Export Steamship Corp., 18th June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.129 on voyage St. Thomas - Mobile with bauxite. 3,274
Puerto Rico 1931 built by Bethlehem SB Corp, Quincy Massachusetts | ex- Boriquen 1949 purchased from New York & Porto Rico Steamship Company renamed Puerto Rico, 1954 sold to Arosa Line renamed Arosa Star, 1959 sold to Eastern Steamship renamed Bahama Star, 1969 sold to Western Steamship Co. renamed La Jenelle, 13th April 1970 destroyed while under tow on her way to being converted into a floating hotel. 7,114
Rosario (1) 1920 built by Bethlehem SB Corp, Wilmington, Del. | ex- Natirar built for United States Shipping Board, 1932 purchased from American Scantic Line renamed Rosario, 21st February 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.664 in Atlantic. 4,659
Rosario (2) 1942 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyards Inc., Baltimore, Maryland | ex- Tristram Dalton, standard ship type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Rosario, 1954 sold to Isla Colon Cia.Nav., Panama, Liberian flag (Orion Shipping & Trading.Co., NY) renamed Achileus, 1957 renamed Andros Laurel, 1957 to Jackson SS Co., Liberian flag (Suwannee SS Co., Jacksonville, Florida), 1963 sold to Faith Nav.Corp., Liberian flag (Sea King Corp, NY) renamed Grand Faith, 1968 scrapped at Taiwan. 7,191
Ruth (1) 1910 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | 1930 sold to W.J. Myles renamed Meddo, 1933 scrapped at Philadelphia. 3,102
Ruth (2) 1919 built by Todd Dry Dock & Construction Company, Seattle | ex- Gaffney built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Barreado 1928, 1940 purchased renamed Ruth, 29th June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.153 with the loss of 35 lives. 4,827
Suzanne 1944 built by North Carolina Shipbuilding Corp., Wilmington, Del. | ex- Woodford, standard ship type C2-S-AJ3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Suzanne, 1965 sold renamed Rappahannock, May 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,191
Wilhelmina 1888 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- New Borough built for C. Furness, West Hartlepool, ex- Pensacola 1895, 1906 purchased renamed Wilhelmina, 5th July 1916 sunk in collision Rio de Janeiro bay. 1,696
    Baltimore Insular Line Inc.  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Carolyn   see Carolyn (3)  
Delfina 1919 built by Hanlon Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co., Oakland, California | 15th June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.172 with the loss of 4 lives. 5,210
Delisle 1919 built by Hanlon Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co., Oakland, California| 19th October 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.220 while in convoy WB65. 5,210
Governor John Lind 1918 built by Hanlon Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co., Oakland, California | 1947 sold to G. Bozzo, Italy renamed Vittorin, 1954 sold to O. Jacomino renamed Concetta, 1956 sold to D.A. Ravano renamed Vallecrosia, 1958 sold renamed Theodoros A, 1960 sold to Seaforth Nav. Corp. renamed Macuto, 1960 scrapped at Laspezia. 3,431
Major Wheeler 1918 built by Hanlon Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co., Oakland, California | 6th February 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.107 east off Cape Hatteras and lost with all hands. 3,431
Marina (1) 1887 built by Neafie & Leavy, Philadelphia | ex- Josefita built for Menendez & Cia., Cienfuegos, ex- Dade 1915, 1917 purchased from C.L. Dimon renamed Marina, 1935 scrapped at Phiadelphia. 1,114

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: May 12, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli