FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Burrell & Son, Glasgow 1850-1939

The Burrell family was of Northumbrian origin, and grandfather George Burrell moved to Glasgow in the early 1830s. By 1856-1857 George was established as a shipping and forwarding agent at Port Dundas, the Glasgow terminus of the Forth and Clyde Canal. In the following year he was joined by his son (Sir William's father), and henceforward the firm traded under the name of Burrell and Son. Initially its shipowning was confined to vessels small enough to transit the Canal, but in 1866 it took a half-share in an ocean-going steamer and by 1875 a further six steamers had been built for them. Two bore the prefix "Strath," which continued to be used by Burrell and Son throughout the firm's existence.

In 1876, the future 'Sir William' entered the firm at the age of 15, and on his father's death in 1885 he and his eldest brother George took over the management. Burrell and Son was already prospering, but under their shrewd direction it reached a position of international standing in worldwide tramping and in ship management.
The Burrell brothers undoubtedly had the Midas touch. George kept abreast of developments in marine engineering while William specialized in the commercial side. Their fortunes were based on a steady nerve, foresight and breathtaking boldness. The formula was quite simple. In times of depression they would order a large number of ships at rock-bottom prices, calculating that the vessels would be coming off the stocks when the slump was reaching an end. Burrell and Son was then in a position to attract cargoes because it had ships available and could undercut its rivals. Then, after several years of highly profitable trading, the brothers would sell the fleet in a boom period and lie low until the next slump occurred, at which point the cycle would begin again. It sounds easy, and Burrell himself described it as making money like slate-stones, but none of the firms' competitors was bold enough to take such risks.

The operation was repeated twice on a large scale. In 1893-1894 twelve new ships were built for the fleet of Burrell and Son at a time when the industry was in a very depressed state. A few years later, advantage was taken of the current high prices obtainable for shipping and every vessel flying the Burrell house flag was sold. After going into semi-retirement for several years, in 1905, William and George rocked the shipping world by ordering no fewer than twenty steamers ; a further eight were delivered in 1909-1910. After a few years of prosperous trading the brothers once again decided to capitalize on the rise in the market value of ships, a rise which became dramatic after the outbreak of the First World War. Between 1913 and 1916 almost the entire fleet was sold, including vessels which were still on the stocks. With his share of the proceeds shrewdly invested, William Burrell devoted remainder of his long life to what became an all-consuming passion, the amassing of a vast art collection

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

Funnel Flag
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Adria 1880 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 156 | 1883 sold to Royal Hungarian SN Co., Fiume, 1920 sold to Adria Hungarian SN Co., Fiume, 1922 renamed GALVANI, 1924 scrapped. 1,039
Budapest 1883 built by Burrell & Sons, Dumbarton Yard No 23 | Missing after siling from Newport for Las Palmas with coal on 30 January 1889. 1,678
Deak (1) 1880 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 157 | 1882 sold to Richard Cattarns Jr, London, 1883 sold to General Steam Nav Co., London renamed SWAN, 1904 sold to D Diamantidis & fils, Taganrog renamed ELENA D, 1910 sold to Black Sea Steam Nav Co., Odessa, 1917 sold to N D Diamantidi, Odessa, 1922 Gabriele Zunini, Savona renamed FIDES, 1923 to Aristide Zunini, Savona, 1924 scrapped. 1,231
Deak (2)   see Strathspey (1).  
Dunlace Castle 1873 built by J. & R. Swan, Dumbarton | 04 February 1876 lost. 203
Fitzclarence (1) 1874 built by T.R. Oswald, Sunderland Yard No 150 | 1898 sold to London Rotterdam Steamship Co. renamed Caledonia, 1899 sold to Wm. H. Muller & Co.'s Algemeene Scheepvaart Mij., 1928 scrapped at Ghent. 917
Fitzclarence (2) 1897 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No 108 | 1912 sold to Bianchi Bros renamed SEBASTIANO, 09 August 1916 sunk by gunfire from submarine 50nm E Cape de Creus. 4,034
Fitzgerald 1873 built by J. & R. Swan, Dumbarton Yard No 79 | 1887 sold to Arthur F. Pope, Manchester, 1907 sold to S. Miloro renamed SALVATORE MILORO, 1912 scrapped. 390
Fitzjames (1) 1868 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 68 | Built for William Burrell & William McLaren, Glasgow, 23 December 1874 wrecked. 550
Fitzjames (2) 1877 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 150 | 1884 sold to Adria Hungarian Sea Navigation Co., Fiume renamed SZAPARY, 1892 Royal Hungarian Sea Nav Co. 'Adria', Fiume, 1919 Adria Co., Fiume, 1922 sold to Adria SA di Nav Marittima renamed RIGHI, 1926 scrapped. 1,080
Fitzmaurice 1875 built by Birrell Stenhouse & Company Dumbarton, Yard No 2 | 16 November 1888 foundered 25nm NW IJmuiden. 474
Fitzpatrick (1) 1869 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 100 | Fate unknown. 923
Fitzpatrick (2) 1896 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No 108 | 1898 sold to Elder Dempster renamed MONMOUTH, 1899 sold to Bucentaur SS Co., London, renamed BUCRANIA, 1900 transferred to Bucknell S.S. lines not renamed, 1911 sold and resold to Kishimoto Kisen, Japan renamed SHINSEI MARU, 1914 sold to M. Naruse renamed SEIKO MARU, 1916 went missing. 4,071
Fitzpatrick (3) 1907 built by R. Craggs & Sons Ltd., Middlesborough Yard No 212 | 1913 sold to Silver Line renamed SILVERCEDAR, 1916 sold to Brantingham S.S. Co., Newcastle renamed NORMA PRATT, 16 March 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine near Bishop Rock. 4,416
Fitzwilliam 1866 built by J. & R. Swan, Dumbarton | Built for William Burrell & William McLaren. n/a
Fiume 1881 built by H.M. McIntyre, Paisley Yard No 64 | 1882 sold to Adria Hungarian SN Co., Fiume renamed SZAPARY, 27 December 1882 wrecked. 1,176
Hungarian 1879 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 150 ? | 1891 sold to Bell & Sime, Dundee, 1899 sold to Hungarian SS Co. (W.Morgan Lewis), Cardiff, 1907 sold to Palgrave, Murphy, Dublin renamed CITY OF MUNICH, 1919 sold to Ulster Steamship Co. renamed WICKLOW HEAD, 1934 sold to Saorstat & Continental SS Co., Dublin renamed CITY OF GHENT, 1939 unsuitable for use as a blockship at Scapa Flow, broken up at Blyth 1,552
Rio Bueno   see Strathyre (1).  
Stefanie 1881 built by Caird & Purdie, Barrow Yard No 8 | 17 November 1892 sunk in collision off Molfetta. 1,160
Strathairly (1) 1894 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 344 | 1898 sold to British & Colonial SN Co. (Bucknall Bros.), London renamed MASHONA, 1900 transfered to Bucknall Steamship Lines, London, 1914 transferred to Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co., London, 15 July 1915 Wrecked 30 miles west of Zavora Point, East Africa. She was on her way to Kohsichang with general cargo from the Tyne. 4,142
Strathairly (2) 1906 built by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 309 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALPOOL, 1923 to Australian Commonwealth Line of Steamers, Fremantle, 1923 sold to Matsuoka Kisen KK, Shikoku, Japan renamed Miho Maru, 1933 scrapped after grounding damage. 4,326
Strathalbyn 1909 built by A. McMillan & Son Dumbarton Yard No 432 | 10 December 1916 mined 2 miles from Cherbourg voyage New York - Le Havre. 4,331
Strathallan (1) 1890 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 231 | 1899 sold to Elpid Lapodoulo, Syra renamed ELPIDOFOROS, 1927 sold to K.Z.Chevki & Co., Turkey renamed ISTIKBAL, 1958 sold to Sadikzade Nazim renamed KARADERE, 1959 scrapped at Istanbul. 2,336
Strathallan (2) 1907 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 286 | 1916 sold to Rome SS Co. (Fisher, Alimonda), London, 02 September 1916 captured and shelled by German submarine U.38 when 20 miles NE of Philippeville on passage Augusta for Barry in ballast 4,404
Strathan 1910 built by A. McMillan & Son Dumbarton Yard No 436 | 1916 sold to Equinox SS Co. (L.Walford), London renamed YONNE, 1923 Alexander Shipping Co. (Capper, Alexander), London renamed QUEENSBURY, 1928 sold to A/B Bore, Turku/Abo, Finland renamed BORE IX, 1959 scrapped. 4,385
Strathardle 1910 built by A. McMillan & Son Dumbarton Yard No 437 | 1916 sold to Dollar Steamship Lines (R. Dollar), San Francisco renamed HAROLD DOLLAR, 1927 sold to Waverley Shipping Co. Ltd (mgr T. L . Duff & Co.), Glasgow renamed GLENBEATH, 1932 sold to T. Liimann, Estonia renamed EESTIRAND, 1941 seized by USSR, 24 August 1941 bombed by German aircraft beached and lost. 4,377
Strathavon (1) 1890 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 228 | 1899 sold to Harvey & Co., St. John's, Newfoundland, 1902 sold to E. Angelis, Piraeus renamed KAROLOS, 12 October 1910 abandoned off Scilly on passage Sulina for Londonderry with maize. 2,672
Strathavon (2) 1907 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 285 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALFORD, 1923 sold to Dokai Kisen KK, Kinoye, Japan renamed Unyo Maru, 1929 sold to Kasahara Shoji KK, Tokyo, 1934 sold to Inui Kisen KK, Kobe, 1941 renamed Kenun Maru, 24 October 1942 torpedoed and sunk by USS NAUTILUS off Honshu. 4,403
Strathbeg 1909 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 206 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALMOUNT, 1923 sold to Hamane Shoten KK, Takasago, Japan renamed ASAKA MARU, 12 October 1944 bombed and sunk by US aircraft off Takao. 4,338
Strathblane (1) 1888 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 189 | 23 January 1890 wrecked 7 miles west of Cape Recife. 2,340
Strathblane (2) 1907 built by Napier & Miller Ltd., Old Kilpatrick, Glasgow Yard No 152 | 1916 sold to Rome SS Co. (Fisher, Alimonda), London renamed LABICUM, 1920 sold to Italian Government - Ferrovie dello Stato, Rome, 1923 sold to SA Parodi & Corrado, Genoa renamed BUCCARI, 1929 sold to Corrado SA di Nav, Genoa, 1933 scrapped at La Spezia. 4,358
Strathcarron (1) 1894 built by A. Rodger & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 305 | 1899 sold to Dene Steamship Co., Newcastle renamed Heathdene, 1900 sold to P.L.Fisker, Copenhagen, Denmark renamed GRANARIA, 1910 sold to Atlantic, Denmark renamed ESROM, 1914 sold to P. Jensen, Copenhagen renamed Island, 1915 sold to H.Isbrandtsen, 1916 to The Admiralty as war prize, 1916 O.J. Eskildsen, Copenhagen renamed ISLAND 1921 sold to Emil R. Retzlaff, Stettin, Germany renamed FASOLT, 1934 scrapped. 3,203
Strathcarron (2) 1912 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 339 | 08 June 1915 torpedoed by German submarine submarine U.35 60 miles W from Lundy Island / Barry. 4,347
Strathclyde (1) 1871 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 107 | 17 February 1876 sank two miles from Dover after the German vessel FRANCONIA struck her, apparently twice. The German master was tried for manslaughter over the death of 38 crew and passengers. 1,951
Strathclyde (2) 1889 built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow Yard No 315 | 1898 sold to Irish Shipowners' Co. Ltd., Belfast renamed LORD IVEAGH, 1913 sold to A.& A. Panariello renamed PANARIELLOS, 1915 sold to Lundegaard & Stray renamed HULDAVORE, 1916 sold to S. Nagata renamed NAGATA MARU, 30 November 1916 captured and scuttled by German submarine UB.39 about 40 miles NE of Ouessant, Kobe for Le Havre with rice. 3,314
Strathclyde (3) 1906 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 276 | 1916 sold to Rome SS Co. (Fisher, Alimonda), London renamed LANUVIUM, 1923 sold to SA Parodi & Corrado, Genoa renamed BASSO PIAVE, 1933 scrapped at La Spezia. 4,417
Strathdee (1) 1889 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No 76 | 1899 sold to F. Vaccaro renamed ESEMPLARE, 10 December 1916 sunk by gunfire from submarine 55nm from Cape Santa Maria, SW Spain. 2,632
Strathdee (2) 1907 built by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 311 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALRANGE, 1923 sold to Sato Shokai, Japan renamed ISHIKARI MARU, 1931 to Shoyei Kisen renamed SHOKYU MARU, 21 February 1942 torpedoed and sunk by USS TRITON in East China Sea. 4,409
Strathdene 1909 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 316 | 08 October 1916 captured and torpedoed by German submarine U.53 20nm south by east of Nantucket lightship on passage New York for Bordeaux 4,321
Strathdon (1) 1890 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No 77 | 1900 sold to Vagliano Bros renamed MARIA, 28 January 1910 wrecked Carromeiro Chico Rock, Corcubion. 2,643
Strathdon (2) 1907 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 194 | 1916 sold to Rome SS Co. (Fisher, Alimonda), London renamed TUSCULUM, 1920 sold to Italian Government - Ferrovie dello Stato, Rome, 1923 sold to SA Parodi & Corrado, Genoa renamed PREMUDA, 1929 sold to Corrado SA di Nav, Genoa, 12 November 1940 Shelled and sunk by British 7th cruiser squadron 12 miles from Saseno on passage Valona for Brindisi. 4,398
Strathearn (1) 1888 built by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow Yard No 308 | missing, sailed Nagasaki 17 September 1890 for San Francisco 2,814
Strathearn (2) 1906 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 271 | 1919 sold to General Maritime Trust Ltd, 1925 sold to P.C.Lemos, Greece renamed CONSTANTINOS, 1925 renamed KOSTANTIS LEMOS, 1931 sold to Constantine & Lemos, Greece renamed DANAOS, 1939 sold to Soc.di Nav.Polena, Genoa renamed MOSCARDIN, 1940 seized by British Government renamed EMPIRE GUNNER, 07 September 1941 bombed and sunk. 4,419
Strathendrick (1) 1889 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 203 | 08 March 1891 sank after a collision with DEVONHURST in the Straits of Madura, on passage Cardiff for Sourabaya with coal. 2,337
Strathendrick (2) 1907 built by Napier & Miller Ltd., Old Kilpatrick, Glasgow Yard No 153 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALDALE, 09 October 1917 torpedoed by by German submarine U.22 when 165 miles N of Cape Villano 45.24N 11.32W on passage Barry for Gibraltar with coal. 4,376
Strathesk (1) 1890 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 220 | 1899 sold to Cia. Naviera Vascongada, Bilbao renamed COBETAS, 01 November 1918 sank after collision with RERESBY in Brest roads on passage Bilbao for Cardiff with iron ore. 2,271
Strathesk (2) 1909 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 314 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALBROOK, 1924 sold to Matsuoka Kisen, Japan renamed Uga Maru, 21 August 1944 torpedoed and sunk by USS GUITARRO off Indoor Island 4,336
Strathfillan (1) 1894 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool Yard No 486 | 1898 sold to Elder Dempster renamed MONTAUK, 14 January 1911 wrecked Sherbro Reef. 4,040
Strathfillan (2) 1906 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 182 | 1916 sold to Anglo American Oil Co, London, 1922 sold to Carlisle Steam Ship Co Ltd (mgr William Stewart & Co.), Glasgow, 1928 sold to Waverley Shipping Co Ltd, Glasgow renamed TORBEATH, 1931 sold to Mollers Ltd, Shanghai renamed ELIZABETH MOLLER, 1944 to Ministry of War Transport, London, 1947 sold to Government of State of Mysore, India, 1947 scrapped at Madras. 4,353
Strathgarry (1) 1894 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 345 | 1899 sold to sold to Prince Line renamed DUTCH PRINCE, 1900 sold to Andrew Weir renamed WYNERIC, sailed from Baltimore on 15th April 1913, passed Triton Bank on 10 May and was never seen again. 4,992
Strathgarry (2) 1907 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 195 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALBUSH, 13 November 1917 torpedoed by German submarine UC.31 when 7 miles E by N of Eddystone on passage Le Havre for Barry in ballast. 4,398
Strathgyle (1) 1894 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 346 | 1900 sold to J.B. Murray & Co., Glasgow, 1904 sold to Toyo Kisen KK, Tokyo renamed MANSHU MARU, 1912 sold to Kishimoto Kisen KK, Yokohama, 29 June 1913 wrecked at Okushirishima near Hakodate and scrapped. 5,022
Strathgyle (2) 1907 built by A. Rodger & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 394 | 1916 sold to Rome SS Co. (Fisher, Alimonda), London renamed ALATRIUM, 1920 sold to Italian Government - Ferrovie dello Stato, Rome, 1923 sold to SA Parodi & Corrado, Genoa renamed VODICE, 1929 sold to Corrado SA di Nav, Genoa, 1933 scrapped at La Spezia. 4,386
Strathisla 1894 built by Swan & Hunter, Wallsend Yard No 190 | 1899 sold to J. Mathias & Sons renamed PINEDENE, 1904 transferred to Cambrian Steam Nav. Co. renamed CLIFTONIAN, 1911 sold to M. Maresca & Co. renamed MAR COR, 09 June 1917 torpedoed and sunk near Bishop Rock. 3,206
Strathleven (1) 1875 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 134 | 1899 sold to Abram & Addie, (Henry Abram), Glasgow, 06 January 1901 abandoned in position 35 26' N, 25 23' W on passage from Pensacola to Barcelona with phosphate rock. In a heavy S.W. gale the engine room casing was stove in, the engine damaged and the fires extinguished. The crew were taken off in the afternoon by the German barque ARDGOWAN and the STRATHLEVEN had sunk by the following morning 2,436
Strathleven (2) 1907 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 196 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALCRAG, 1923 sold to Matsuoka Kisen KK, Fuchu renamed MISAKI MARU, 14 November 1944 torpdoed by USS BARBEL in the South China Sea south of the Paracels. 4,396
Strathlorne 1909 built by A. McMillan & Son Dumbarton Yard No 433 | 1930 sold to Demetrios J. Pateras, Chios renamed MARY N, 1939 sold to Elias N. Pateras, Chios, 10 December 1940 Wrecked Achill Head, Clewbay after steering gear failed on passage Cardiff for Buenos Aires with coal. 4,330
Strathlyon (1) 1889 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 211 | 1899 sold to E. Frisch et Cie, Marseille renamed ANNA EUGENIE, 1913 to Soc. Francaise d'Armement (E. M. Frisch), Marseille, 1913 sold to G. Couviellos, Argostoli renamed AGHIOS GERASSIMOS, 1915 sold to A/S Fama (O. M. Milberg), Christiania renamed FAMA, 1916 sold to A/S Fama (Fridthjof Bryde & Co.), Christiania, 1916 sold to A/S Fama (C. Archer Arentz), Christiania, 03 January 1917 captured and sunk by German submarine UC.37 off the south west coast of Spain in 36.47N 08.43W on voyage Portland, Maine for Marseille with wheat. 2,512
Strathlyon (2) 1907 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 197 | 1915 sold to Red A/B Lulea-Ofoten, Stockholm renamed MERTAINEN, 1916 sold to Trafik A/B Grangesberg-Oxelosund, 1921 to Aug.Bolten, Wm.Miller's Nachfl, Hamburg, 1922 to Trafik A/B Grangesberg-Oxelosund, 22 April 1940 bombed by German aircraft at Svinvik, Kristiansand on passage Narvik for Middlesbrough with iron ore. 4,400
Strathmore (1) 1894 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No 103 | 1908 sold to W.R. Corfield & Co. renamed WYE, 1909 sold to Prince Line renamed ORANGE PRINCE, 15 November 1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.39 south of Crete. 3,578
Strathmore (2) 1912 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 336 | 1915 sold to Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Tonsberg renamed CUBANO, 03 June 1915 captured and shelled by German submarine U.35 15 miles NE of Flannan Isles on passage Christiania to India. 4,337
Strathnairn (1) 1894 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool Yard No 480 | 1898 sold to Elder Dempster renamed MELROSE, 1899 sold to Aznar & Co. renamed EREZA, 03 February 1907 foundered 27nm off Cape Passero. 4,038
Strathnairn (2) 1906 built by A. Rodger & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 387 | 15 June 1915 torpedoed by German submarine U.22 when 25 miles north by east of Bishop Rock on passage Penarth for Archangelsk with coal, killing her captain and 20 of the crew. 4,336
Strathness (1) 1894 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool Yard No 475 | 1899 sold to Bucknall Bros renamed BUCEROS, 1911 sold to J. Bryde, Sandefjord, renamed OESTKYSTEN, then JOHAN BRYDE, 1913 sold to I.P. Bogen renamed SVEND FOYN, 1923 sold same name, 1931 laid up, 1934 scrapped. 4,038
Strathness (2) 1907 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 183 | 1916 sold to Rome SS Co. (Fisher, Alimonda), London renamed CARVENTUM, 1920 sold to Italian Government - Ferrovie dello Stato, Rome, , 1923 sold to SA Parodi & Corrado, Genoa renamed HERMADA, 1929 sold to Corrado SA di Nav, Genoa, 1950 scrapped at Ancona. 4,354
Strathnevis 1894 built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle Yard No 104 | 1908 sold to Wilh.Wilhelmsen, Tonsberg renamed TORSDAL, 28 October 1916 sunk by gunfire from submarine near Cape St Vincent. 3,574
Strathord (1) 1894 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool Yard No 482 | 1904 sold to W.Kunstmann renamed PERUVIA, missing, sailed Narvik 01 March 1913 for Rotterdam ; loss of 40 lives. 4,040
Strathord (2) 1906 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 275 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALGLEN, 1923 to Australian Commonwealth Line of Steamers, Fremantle, 1923 sold to Toda Kisen, Japan renamed GINRYO MARU, 1927 sold to Sato Shokai renamed ATSUTA MARU No.5, 1931 sold to Shiota Yasuzo renamed KOHWA MARU, 23 September 1943 torpedoed and sunk by USS HARDER off Honshu. 4,417
Strathroy 1909 built by William Hamilton & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 207 | 25 September 1914 captured by German cruiser KARLSRUHE on 31 August 1914 100 miles NNE of Cabo Sao Roque on passage Norfolk Va for Rio de Janeiro with coal, scuttled on above date in 00.52N 44.30W. 4,336
Strathspey (1) 1883 built by Burrell & Sons, Dumbarton Yard No 21 | ex- Deak built for Burrell & Sons, Dumbarton, 1890 renamed STRATHSPEY, 02 December 1894 wrecked 9nm N Port Patrick. 1,549
Strathspey (2) 1906 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 274 | 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Melbourne renamed AUSTRALPEAK, 1924 soldto W. Stewart & Co., London renamed CARSPEY, 1929 sold to G. Neophytos, Greece renamed EVANGHELOS NEOPHYTOS, 1933 scrapped at Savona. 4,432
Strathtay (1) 1894 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow Yard No 343 | 1898 sold to British & Colonial SN Co. (Bucknall Bros.), London renamed BECHUANA, 1900 transferred to Bucknall Steamship Lines, London, 1914 transferred to Ellerman & Bucknall SS Co., North Shields 1915 naval collier, 1919 sold to Cia. Naviera Valle, Bilbao, Spain renamed EUSEBIA DE VALLE, 03 December 1916 shelled and sunk by a German submarine near the Scillies (UC.19 or UB.29), Lisbon for Glasgow with cork. 4,142
Strathtay (2) 1906 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 272 | 06 September 1916 torpedoed by German submarine UB.39 when 4 miles north of Pontusval, Finisterre on passage New York for Le Havre. 4,428
Strathyre (1) 1884 built by Burrell & Sons, Dumbarton Yard No 24 | ex- Rio Bueno built for Burrell & Sons, Dumbarton, 1890 renamed STRATHYRE, 01 December 1891 wrecked near Antigua. 1,706
Strathyre (2) 1906 built by Greenock & Grangemouth Dockyard Co., Greenock Yard No 273 | 1919 sold to J. Bell & Co. renamed BELLVIEW, 1919 sold to Fothergill & Nelson renamed LOUISIANA, 1923 sold to A. Deppe renamed LOUVAIN, 1936 sold to F. Grauds renamed EVERENE, 25 January 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.19 5nm off Longstone Light, Farne Island. 4,416
Tisza 1880 built by Blackwood & Gordon Paisley, Port Glasgow Yard No 153 | 1884 sold to Adria Hungarian Sea Navigation Co., Fiume, 1892 sold to Royal Hungarian Sea Nav Co. 'Adria', Fiume, 1919 to Adria SA di Nav Marittima, Fiume 1922 renamed STOPPANI, 1923 scrapped. 1,277

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: March 28, 2010 and maintained by and M. Kohli