FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Christian Salvesen & Co.

From the beginning of the 19th century the Salvesen family owned several commercial enterprises in their native Norway, including shares in a number of ships. In 1843 Johan Theodor Salvesen set up in business as a shipbroker at Grangemouth, a few miles west of Edinburgh and three years later opened another office at Leith. In 1851 his brother, Christian, left Norway to join him in Scotland and was given responsibility for the Leith office.
At the time Christian joined the company, the Leith office was being operated jointly with George Turnbull as Turnbull, Salvesen and Company. Their main trade involved the export of coal and the import of timber. In 1872, the partnership with Turnbull ended and Christian Salvesen and Co. was formed.
Meanwhile, Johan concentrated on the Grangemouth office and, in 1853, withdrew completely from the Leith business. Eventually, the company started at Grangemouth passed to the control of F.T. Everard.
In 1864 the Leith-based business, under the management of Christian Salvesen, became agents for Norwegian whale oil and in 1879 the steamship Marna (1879 - 1,027gt) was acquired for use oil a regular Leith to Norway service. To allow access to the lucrative Norwegian coastal trades, the ship flew the Norwegian flag, even though Christian Salvesen had become a British citizen in 1857. So regular was this Norwegian trade that the route became a liner service in 1886. It was strengthened in 1928 by the acquisition of the Aberdeen-based Glen Line of John Cook and Son who had three ships employed in the Scotland Norway trade, and in the 1950s UK west coast ports were also served with direct loadings to Norway.
Other liner services were tried with varying degrees of success. These included services to the Mediterranean and Black Sea but were relatively short lived. Except for these various liner services, the rest of the Salvesen fleet was engaged in tramp trades.
Except for the Nazi occupation of Norway during World War II, the Norwegian liner route was operated successfully until 1971. The last vessels employed on this liner route were Tolsta and Laksa (both 1960 - 1,323gt) and were both sold to John Stewart & Co. and renamed Yewglen and Yewkyle respectively when the route closed.
Salvesen's association with the importation of whale oil encouraged the company to set up a land-based whaling station at Olna in the Shetland Isles in 1904 where whale catchers were based until the station was closed in 1929. In 1907, the company had started Antarctic whaling. Initially a base was established in the Falkland Islands but was soon relocated to Leith Harbour, South Georgia, to be nearer the whaling grounds. Floating factory ships were acquired to operate from the new base, which in turn was serviced by supply ships drawn from the company's tramp ship fleet. The whole operation was managed by the newly formed South Georgia Company. By 1914, Salvesen's whaling fleet consisted of two factory ships, five supply ships and 18 whale catchers.
The introduction of stern ramps on factory ships in the late 1920s enabled the whale carcasses to be hauled up onto the deck for cutting up, before then, harpooned whales were dissected alongside the vessels. Salvesen's first factory ships to be fitted with stem ramps were Salvestria (1913 - 11,938gt) and Sourabaya (1915 - 10,107gt). Many of the factory ships were converted liners. The aforementioned pair were formerly Royal Mail Steam Packet Company's Cardiganshire and Carmarthenshire respectively. Other converted liners which found their way into Salvesen's ownership were the former White Star vessels Runic (1900 - 13,801gt) and Regina (1918 - 16,289gt). On conversion, Runic was renamed New Sevilla but the planned conversion of Regina to Westernland was dropped and she was broken up in 1947.

World War I Losses
Name Built Tons   Lost   Details of Loss
Glitra 1882 866   29.10.1914   Scuttled by U-boat U 17 off Norway
Ailsa 1884 902   18.06.1915   Scuttled by U-boat off Scotland
Horatio 1892 3,239   11.03.1916   Sank in Leith Harbour, 5 Georgia
Wavelet 1905 2,992   27.08.1916   Wrecked off Norway
Katherine 1904 2,926   22.02.1917   Captured by raider Moewe
Coronda 1892 2,733   13.03.1917   Torpedoed off Ireland
Cadmus 1911 1,879   18.10.1917   Torpedoed in North Sea
Ardandearg 1895 3,237   14.03.1918   Torpedoed off Malta
John O. Scott 1906 1,235   18.09.1918   Torpedoed off Cornwall
The whale catcher Hirpa was wrecked off Scotland in 1918 and Marna (1883 - 931), operated by a subsidiary company, was torpedoed in the North Sea on 12.03.1917.

During the depression of the 1930s, several whaling competitors were taken over, so by 1939 a substantial whaling fleet was in operation. It consisted of at least five factory ships, four dedicated support vessels and over 60 catching vessels. During World War II many of the whale catchers were pressed into naval service, while the factory ships were used as tankers and heavy lift vessels.
In 1941, the Southern Whaling Company was purchased from Unilever when they ceased whaling. This increased Salvesen's fleet by two factory ships and 15 whale catchers. However, war losses were considerable all the 1939 factory ships were lost during the conflict, as well as half the catchers and support ships. Limited whaling took place between 1939 and 1941, while no expeditions were rnade until the end of hostilities.
The increased competition and the decline in the number of whales after the war meant commercial whaling was becoming less viable. Expeditions were still mounted but with only limited success. In 1963, the company ended whaling operations and the factory ships were sold. The last one, Southern Harvester (1946 - 15,364gt), was bought by the Japanese who wanted her whale quotas. The vessel was resold twice but never used again and was broken up in 1971. Of the company's 38 whale catchers, 12 were sold, 16 scrapped and the remainder abandoned at the South Georgia base.

Following the company's withdrawal from whaling, new trading activities were pursued. This led the company to adapt the surplus Algerine class minesweeper, HMS Felicity (1944 - 1,241gr, built as HMCS Cappercliff for use as a fishing vessel under the name Fairfee. The fitting of a factory ship stern ramp and refrigeration equipment produced the world's first combined freezer/stern trawler. After five years of experimentation, she was laid up in 1952 but was followed by three purpose-built vessels: Fairtry (1954 - 2,605gt), Fairtry II (1959 - 2,857gt) and Fairtry III (1960 - 12,857gt). However, due to increased competition, in part from subsidised Eastern Bloc fleets, the company were forced to withdraw all three vessels by 1968. It therefore founded another business: its shore based freezer plants.
Although the stern trawlers had gone, Salvesens still owned several other fishing fleets in Britain, Canada, Peru and Ireland. These fleets contained over 70 vessels and mainly served the fish meal trade. The British flagged fleet produced another innovative development with the introduction of Semla (1967 - 249gt), the UK's first purse seiner net fishing vessel. However, the fishing vessel operations gradually declined. The Peruvian fleet was nationalised and other fleets sold off.

Having been involved in trawler operations, it was a logical step for Salvesen to operate former trawlers as standby safety ships when the offshore oil industry began to expand. A joint venture with Boston Deep Sea Fisheries, Safetyships Ltd. was started and this went on to become the wholly owned subsidiary Salvesen Offshore Services. More ships were acquired for this business: stern trawlers were converted to survey ships, former ferries became pollution control vessels and even an old coastal tanker was converted into an oil recovery vessel. The first of two drilling ships was commissioned in 1974, but by 1980 both had been sold.

Salvesen's tramp services had prospered, with Norwegian, Baltic and Mediterranean services being particularly profitable. Regular services to Malta and Alexandria were run for some years prior to 1914. At the start of World War I, the company owned eight tramp ships, three of which were sold and three of which were lost. The doubtful distinction of owning the first British merchant ship lost in World War I belongs to Salvesen. Glitra (1910 - 2,925gt) was sunk by U-17 on 20 October 1914 off the Norwegian coast.
During Wold War I, 20 ships were purchased, six of which were lost. After World War I no fleet replacement programme was undertaken. Instead, many vessels were sold at the extremely high prices being offered during the short lived postwar shipping boom. During the slump that followed, Salvesen was able to buy up to date ships to modernise its fleet. In 1934, the company took advantage of low building rates and ordered Saganaga (1935 - 5,452gt), the company's first newly built cargo ship for 40 years.

Of the ten ships in the tramping fleet at the outbreak of World War II, seven were lost and three sold by early 1943 leaving the fleet devoid of tramp ships for the rest of the war. Immediately after World War II, to make up the shortage of vessels, Culrain (1941 - 6,765gt, ex- Empire Darwin), Culross (1946 - 7,331gt, ex- Empire Antiqua), Struan (1942 - 2,893gt, ex- Empire Patriot) and Cutler (1941 - 7,030gt, ex- Empire Rhodes) were purchased from the Ministry of War Transport.

World War II Losses
Name Built Tons   Lost   Details of Loss
Glen Farg 1937 876   04.10.1939   Torpedoed off Northern Scotland
Brandon 1917 6,665   08.12.1939   Torpedoed off Lands End
Giralda 1924 2,178   30.01.1940   Bombed off Orkney
Albuera 1921 3,477   24.06.1940   Sunk by E-boat in English Channel
Salvestria 1913 11,938   27.07.1940   Sunk by mine off Scotland
New Sevilla 1900 13,081   20.09.1940   Torpedoed off Malin Head
Shekatika 1936 5,548   18.10.1940   Torpedoed off Rockall
Stombus 1900 6,549   30.10.1940   Mined in Bristol Channel
Sirikishna 1936 5,458   24.02.1941   Torpedoed North Atlantic
Peder Bogen 1925 9,741   23.03.1942   Torpedoed North Atlantic
Saganaga 1935 5,452   05.09.1942   Torpedoed off Newfoundland
Southern Empress 1914 12,398   13.10.1942   Torpedoed North Atlantic
Sourabaya 1915 10,107   27.10.1942   Torpedoed North Atlantic
Fintra 1918 2,089   23.02.1943   Torpedoed off North Africa
Southern Princess 1915 12,156   17.03.1943   Torpedoed North Atlantic
Six whale catchers were lost in Royal Naval service and three whilst serving with the Russian Navy. Several more considered not worth refitting after wartime service.

However, no more ships entered the fleet until the newly built 8,995gt Saldanha was acquired in 1959. So successful was this vessel that five similar vessels were added to the fleet over the next four years. These ships remained in the fleet until the early 1970s and were employed on liner charters or on the short-lived liner service to North America. The bulk carrier Inverleith (1961 - 15,628gt) entered the fleet in 1966.

In 1964 the company re-entered the coastal trade when another Leith-based company, A.E. Henry and MacGregor and its fleet of five ships, was acquired. Founded in 1887 as shipbrokers, Henry and MacGregor began ship owning in 1907 after buying the puffer Mayflower (1882 - 69gt) for short voyages. Later vessels were employed in the Forth-South Coast coal trade. Voyages undertaken by A.E. Henry and MacGregor's ships became more varied, including Baltic and Great Lakes destination when not carrying coal. This new excursion into the coal trades led Salvesen to construct a number of small bulk carriers suitable for the trade. Two colliers were subsequently sold to the Central Electricity Generating Board (CEGB) but left under Salvesen management. Over the next few years other CEGB vessels were transferred to Salvesen management.
Christian Salvesen withdrew from shipping related activities in 1989. The company's colliers were sold to A/S Jebsen, of Norway, who also took over the management of the CEGB's super colliers. throughout its history the company has shown a remarkable talent for adapting to the prevailing trading conditions of the time and developing new businesses both at sea and ashore. The company's landbased activities, many of which are still being carried out, encompass the refrigeration and distribution trades as well as construction.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnels & Flag:

Fleet:

Funnel Funnel Flag
    Cargo Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Ailsa (1) 1884 see Twilight. 902
Ailsa (2) 1918 built by H. Veldhuis, Papendrecht | ex- Papendrecht, 1924 purchased from Phs van Ommeren renamed Ailsa, 1936 sold to R. Fischer Neilson, Copenhagen renamed Reval, 1937 sold to O/Y Finska Insjo A/B, Helsinki, Finland renamed Onto, 23rd Nov. 1940 mined and sunk in North Sea. 1,343
Albuera (1) 1902 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Albuera, 1914 purchased from W. Thomson & Co., Liverpool not renamed, 1915-1916 requisitioned by Admiralty as Collier 772, 1929 sold to S/S Ocean, Copenhagen renamed Gribskov, 1930 sold to Rederi A/B Falkvik, Solvesborg, Sweden not renamed, 1931 renamed Atlanten, 1934 sold to Rederi A/B Norra Atlanten, Abo, Finland same name, 1937 scrapped at Newport. 3,460
Albuera (2) 1921 built by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Burntisland | ex- Sierra Nevada, 1931 purchased from A/S D/S Atalanta, Copenhagen renamed Albuera, 24th June 1940 sunk after E boat attack near Lydd Light Float. 3,477
Ardandearg 1895 built by Workman Clark & Co., Belfast | ex- Ardandearg, 1917 purchased from Ardan S.S. Co. (Clark & Service), Glasgow not renamed, 14th March 1918 whilst serving as a Royal Fleet Auxiliary torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC.53 near Malta. 3,237
Blenheim 1891 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Blenheim built for Horner, Wilson & Co., Whitby, 1906 purchased from J.B. Jackson, W. Edwards & H. Roffey, Whitby not renamed, 1913 sold to W. Kunstmann, Stettin renamed Siegenia, 28th April 1914 wrecked near Ceuta. 2,403
Brandon 1917 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Holbrook built for Century Shipping Co., ex- Bredon 1923, ex- Brandon 1923, 1928 purchased from Canadian Pacific Railway Co., Liverpool not renamed, 8th Dec. 1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.48. 6,665
Burriana 1906 built by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Burriana, 1915 purchased from Mossdgiel S.S. Co., Glasgow not renamed, 1932 sold to Scuderi S.S. Co., London renamed Fortunata, 1934 transferred to M. Scuderi, Catania, 1937 sold to L. Silvia Viglienzone, Genoa renamed Obbedire, 1940 sold renamed Corso Fougier, 10th Oct. 1944 sunk by German Forces as a blockship at Piraeus, wreck later scrapped. 1,359
Cadmus 1911 built by Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Cadmus, 1915 purchased from J. Gaff & Co., Sydney not renamed, 18th Oct. 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC.47 near Flamborough Head. 1,879
Cairnavon 1905 built by Short Bros., Sunderland | ex- Cairnavon, 1917 purchased from Cairn Line (Cairns, Noble & Co.), Newcastle not renamed, 1919 renamed Soutra (1), 1937 sold to H. Lilliestrand, Munksnas, Finland renamed Emmi, 1942 seized by the Germans renamed Schirmek, 15th Nov. 1944 sunk by sabotage at Copenhagen, 1945 wreck raised and scrapped. 1,591
Cairnnevis 1905 built by Short Bros., Sunderland | ex- Cairnnevis, 1917 purchased from Cairn Line (Cairns, Noble & Co.), Newcastle not renamed, 1919 renamed Tolsta (1), 1937 sold to H. Lilliestrand, Munksnas, Finland renamed Juss, 1939 seized as a prize by Spanish Republican Government later transferred to Cia Trasmediterranea renamed Castillo Gibralfaro, 1948 sold to Empresa Nacional Elcano S.A., Cadiz not renamed, 1955 sold to Cia de Nav. Vasco Asturuiana, Cadiz renamed Carlos Tartiere, 1964 sold, 1974 scrapped. 1,587
Cameron 1905 built by Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Cameron, 1915 purchased from Cameron S.S. Co.(K. McD Cameron ), West Hartlepool not renamed, 1919 sold to John Harrison Ltd, London renamed Woldingham, 1919 sold to Glynn Shipping Co., Cardiff not renamed, 1923 sold to West Hartlepool Steam Nav. Co., West Hartlepool same name, 1924 sold to A.S. & A.G. Coutsodoutis, Syra, Greece renamed Stylianos Coutsodoutis, 1934 scrapped at La Spezia. 3,044
Carcavellos 1918 built by E. Finch & Co., Chepstow | ex- Tutshill built for E. Finch & Co., Chepstow, ex- Carcavellos 1919, 1927 purchased from Portuguese owner not renamed, 1927 renamed Fintra, 23rd February 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.347. 2,089
Carlisle 1889 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Carlisle, 1899 purchased from Livingston, Connor & Co., West Hartlepool not renamed, 1914 sold to T. Fierro y Hijos, Gijon renamed Alfonso Fierro, 30th March 1920 wrecked at Estaca de Vares. 1,035
Comeric 1898 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Comeric, 1916 purchased from A. Weir & Co. not renamed, 1918 sold to Britain Steam Ship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed Petersham, 1929 sold to McAllum & Co., London renamed Ashenden, 1929 sold to H. Taube, Riga renamed Margarete, 1932 sold to P. Danneborg, Riga same name, 1933 laid up after being damaged in collision, 1933 scrapped. 3,979
Culrain 1941 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Darwin built for Ministry of War Transport, 1945 purchased not renamed, 1946 renamed Culrain, 1958 laid Up, 1959 sold to North Europe & Persian Gulf Transport Corp., Beirut renamed Mersinidi, 1966 scrapped at Singapore. 6,765
Culross 1946 built by Shipbuilding Corp., Newcastle | ex- Empire Antigua built for Ministry of War Transport, 1946 purchased not renamed later that year renamed Culross, 1958 laid up, 1960 sold to Cia Nav. Comercio Apolo, Beitut renamed Akastos, 1966 sold to Agenor Shipping Co., Cyprus not renamed, 1967 sold same name, 1968 scrapped at Hamburg. 7,331
Culter 1941 built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee | ex- Empire Rhodes built for Ministry of War Transport, 1947 purchased not renamed, later that year renamed Culter, 1958 laid up, 1959 sold to Ipar Transport Co., Turkey renamed Virginia Ipar, 1963 laid up, 1970 scrapped at Istanbul. 7,030
Duva 1913 built by Stettiner Oderwerke, Stettin | ex- Brook built for H.M. Gehrckens, Hamburg, 1918 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 purchased renamed Duva, 16th Nov. 1926 foundered near Aberdeen. 1,525
Elleric 1897 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Elleric, 1916 purchased from A. Weir & Co. not renamed, 1916 sold to Lowlands Steam Shipping Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1919 renamed Lowlands, 1926 broken up at Preston. 3,559
Fernley 1901 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Fernley built for North of Ireland S.S. Co., Belfast, 1915 purchased from Greatham Steam Shipping Co., West Hartlepool not renamed, 1918 sold to Scotia S.S. Co., Glasgow same name, 1919 sold to J. Culucundis, Syra, Greece renamed Pontos, 1921 sold to Garth Shipping Co., Newcastle renamed Castlegarth, 1924 sold to Harry Clapham & Co., Newcastle, 1930 laid up, 1932 scrapped at Bilbao. 3,820
Fidra (1) 1889 built by R. Irvine & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Reggio, 1902 purchased from Orders & Handford, Newport renamed Fidra, 15th January 1909 stranded on Amrun Island and became a total loss. 1,218
Fintra   see Carcavellos.  
Folda (1) 1883 built by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Newcastle | ex- Soldier Prince, 1896 purchased from Prince Line renamed Folda, 1916 sold to Franco British S.S. Co., London not renamed, 1920 sold to Anglo Celtic Shipping Co., London renamed City of Montdidier, 1922 sold to Rederi A/B Majviken, Gothenburg renamed Maja, 4th July 1936 wrecked at Trysunda. 1,300
Giralda (1) 1887 built by Osbourne, Graham & Co., Sunderland | ex- Giralda, 1893 purchased from Bilton, Williams & Co., Newcastle not renamed, 28th August 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine near Whitby. 1,148
Giralda (2) 1924 built by J. Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen | ex- Betty Llewellyn, 1926 purchased from Llewellyn Shipping Co., Cardiff renamed Giralda, 30th January 1940 while serving as a fleet collier bombed and sunk near Grimness, Orkney and lost with whole crew. 2,178
Glitra (1) 1882 built by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Newcastle | ex- Saxon Prince 1895 purchased from Prince Line renamed Glitra, 29th October 1914 captured and sunk by German submarine U.17 off Norway. 832
Glitra (2)   see Greldale.  
Greldale 1910 built by Richardson Duck & Co., Stockton | ex- Sterndale built for Dale S.S. Co. (Lucas & Co.), Bristol, ex- Greldale 1917, 1918 purchased from Haenton Steam Shipping Co., Cardiff not renamed, 1919 renamed Glitra, 1935 laid up, 1936 sold to Carrick Shipping Co., Glasgow nolt renamed, 1937 scrapped at Troon. 2,925
Inveralmond 1972 built by Sumitomo Shipbuilding & Machinery Co., Tamashima | 1980 sold to Korea Shipping Corp., Panama renamed West Jinoriwon, 1987 sold renamed Jasper, 1989 sold renamed Melba, 1993 sold renamed Almond, 1995 sold renamed Hainan Brother, 1998 sold renamed Zhan Sheng, 2005 scrapped at China. 24,615
Inverleith 1961 built by J. Boel & Zn, Temse | ex- Hector Halcyon, ex- Cressington Court, 1966 purchased from Court Line London renamed Inverleith, 1974 sold to Johnson Nav. Co., Panama renamed Manchester, 1981 renamed Manhattan, 1982 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 15,628
Invershin 1972 built by Namura Zosensho, Osaka | 1982 sold to Serhan Deniz Nakliyat A.S., Turkey renamed Serhan, 1983 sold to Transman Shipping Inc., Turkey renamed Ocean Transporter, 1998 scrapped at Alang. 18,071
John O. Scott 1906 built by Wood, Skinner & Co., Newcastle | ex- John O. Scott built for Scott Shipping Co., Newcastle, 1917 purchased from Steam Ship Tyne Co. ( L. Pippet), Newcastle not renamed 18th Sept. 1918 whilst serving as a Royal Fleet Auxiliary torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB.117 near Trevose Head. 1,235
Katanga 1901 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Katanga, 1916 purchased from British Navigation Co., (A. Weir & Co.), Glasgow not renamed, 1926 sold to Britain Steam Ship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed Newnham, 1929 sold to N.M. Yannaghas, Syra, Greece renamed Michael E. Yannaghas, 1932 scrapped at Genoa. 3,316
Katherine 1904 built by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Katherine built for S. Hogg & Co., West Hartlepool, 1915 purchased from Seaton Shipping Co. (S. Hogg), West Hartlepool not renamed, 23rd Feb. 1917 captured and sunk by German raider Möwe. 2,926
Kyleakin 1905 built by Grangemouth & Greenock Dockyard Co Ltd., Grangemouth | ex- Kyleakin, 1916 purchased from Kyle Shipping Co., Glasgow not renamed, 1919 sold to Side Shipping Co. (Connell & Grace), Glasgow not renamed, 1920 sold to Anglo European S.S. Co. ( J. Bell & Co.), Hull renamed Santarosa, 1937 sold to Soc. Non. Sbarehi Imbarchie Trasporti, Rome renamed Vertunno, 1943 seized by German Forces, 1945 scuttled by Germans at Genoa, wreck later scrapped. 3,073
Logna (1) 1882 built by Hodgson & Soulssby, Blyth | ex- Norman Prince,1896 purchased from Prince Line renamed Logna, 13th Dec. 1898 grounded near Axelsund and lost. 1,310
Marna (1) 1879 built by Austin & Hunter, Sunderland | 7th Dec. 1882 stranded on reef near Ameland and became total loss. 1,022
Marna (2) 1883 built by D. Baxter & Co., Sunderland | ex- Ivanhoe, 1897 purchased from G.C. Ward, Newcastle, transferred to M. Pedersen, Mandal, Norway renamed Marna, 12th March 1917 sunk by German submarine UC.44 in North Sea. 931
Midlothian 1871 built by S. & H. Morton & Co., Leith | ex- Midlothian built for H. Morton, Leith, 1884 purchased not renamed, 1908 sold to Bear S.S. Co., Liverpool not renamed, 1909 transferred to Asia Minor S.S. Co., Liverpool, 1914 sold to R.H. Littlehales, Manchester, 30th Sept. 1917 shelled and sunk by German submarine U.73 of Cape Greco. 1,257
Olna 1883 built by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Newcastle | ex- Newbiggin, 1904 purchased from J.J. & C.M. Forster, Newcastle renamed Olna, 11th Jan. 1905 wrecked at Salskov. 902
Orkla (1) 1888 built by S.P. Austin & Son, Sunderland | 1915 sold to Lowlands Steam Shipping Co., Newcastle not renamed later that year renamed Lowmount, 1916 sold to A. Capel, Newcastle same name, 7th May 1917 mined and sunk near Lab LV. 2,070
Orkla (2) 1922 built by J. Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen | ex- Elaine Llewellyn, 1926 purchased from Llewellyn Shipping Co., Cardiff renamed Orkla, 1942 sold to Shamrock Shipping Co., Larne not renamed, 1946 renamed Moyle, 1953 sold to Heron S.S. Co. (A.G. Tsavliris), London renamed Master Nicolas, 1954 transferred to Trafalgar S.S. Co., 1954 sold to Nicolas T. Papadatos, Piraeus renamed Sousauna Papadatos, 1959 sold renamed Lenanitsa, 1962 sold to Lebanon renamed Nick, 1963 renamed John V, 1966 sold same name, 1967 scrapped at La Spezia. 2,177
Overdale 1903 built by A. McMillan & Son, Dumarton | ex- Dumbarton built for H. Mclean, Glasgow, ex- Overdale 1907, 1915 purchased from Babtie, Weir & Co., Glasgow not renamed, 1926 sold to Britain Steam Ship Co. (Watts, Watts & Co.), London renamed Winslow, 1930 sold to Armement Colignon S.A., Antwerp renamed Fernand Collignon, 1932 sold to A. Klat, Alexandria renamed Radames, 20th May 1941 torpedoed by German submarine U.103 off Monrovia but remained afloat, 25th May 1941 torpedoed again by German submarine U.103 and sunk. 3,486
Pera 1899 built by Mackie & Thomson, Glasgow | ex- Pera built for Bailey & Leetham, Hull, 1903 purchased from T. Wilson, Sons & Co., Hull not renamed, 1907 sold to Schliewiensky & Ziegler, Hamburg not renamed, 1910 sold to August Bolten (William Miller’s Nachfolger), Hamburg renamed Havel, 7th Jan. 1911 sank in collision with steamer AXWELL. 1,150
Ramleh 1891 built by Harvey & Co., Hayle | ex- Ramleh, 1904 purchased from Branckclow S.S. Co., Liverpool not renamed, 1916 sold to A. Lazarus, London same name, 1917 sold to Petersen & Co., London not renamed, 24th Sept. 1918 beached after collision with steamer NORD AMERIKA and became a total loss. 2,660
Ravenstone 1905 built by Blyth Shipbuilding & Drydocks Co. Ltd., Blyth | ex- Ravenstone, 1915 purchased from Red R S.S. Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1935 scrapped at Preston. 3,049
Saganaga 1935 built by D. & W. Henderson & Co Ltd., Glasgow | 5th Sept. 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.513 at Wabana, Newfoundland. 5,452
Salambria 1964 built by Oskarshamns Varf A/B, Oskarshamn | 1973 sold to Priscilla Co. S.A., Somalia renamed Patricia, 1977 renamed Patriche, 1977 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co., China renamed Yong Ding, 1983 transferred to Guangzholi Ocean Shipping Co. same name, 1989 renamed Hang Fat, 1991 scrapped at Alang. 8,876
Saldanha 1959 built by Oskarshamns Varf A/B, Oskarshamn | Launched as Sunny Queen, purchased before completion renamed Saldana, 1966 sold to Hemisphere Shipping Co., Hong Kong renamed Eastglory, 1971 sold to Nan Yang Shipping Co., Somalia not renamed, 1975 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co., China renamed De Hua, 1983 transferred to Shanghai Ocean Shipping Co. same name, 1993 deleted from Register. 8,995
Saldura 1960 built by Oskarshamns Varf A/B, Oskarshamn | 1967 sold to Hemisphere Shipping Co., Hong Kong renamed Chang Paishan, 1970 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co., China renamed Xing Hua, 1983 transferred to Guangzholi Ocean Shipping Co. same name, 1993 deleted from Register. 8,929
Salmela 1961 built by Oskarshamns Varf A/B, Oskarshamn | 1972 sold to Etesian Shipping, Cyprus renamed Panormos, 1979 sold to Arhonto Cia Naviera, Cyprus same name, 1984 sold renamed Eleni, 1985 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 8,972
Salvada 1961 built by Oskarshamns Varf A/B, Oskarshamn | 1972 sold to Yick Fung Shipping & Enterprises, Somalia renamed Weddell Sea, 1975 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co., China renamed Zun Hua, 1985 renamed Ye Xing, 8,877
Salvina 1963 built by Oskarshamns Varf A/B, Oskarshamn | 1972 sold to Grandeur Shipping Co. S.A., Somalia renamed Dawn Grandeur, 1976 sold to Kavamar Nav. Co., Cyprus renamed Despina R, 1977 sold to Tanaga Shipping Co., Greece not renamed, 1979 sold to Liberia renamed Diaklis, 1984 sold renamed Kodrington, 1985 scrapped at Shanghai. 8,877
Sellasia 1901 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Sellasia, 1917 purchased from W. Thomson & Co., Liverpool not renamed, 1929 sold to P.L. & M. Fisker, Copenhagen renamed Risskov, 1930 laid up, 1931 repossessed and reverted to original name, 1932 scrapped at Genoa. 3,474
Seringa 1913 built by Ropner & Sons, Stockton | ex- Falls City built for Bradford S.S. Co. (Reardon Smith), Cardiff, 1929 purchased from Reardon Smith Line renamed Seringa, , 1939 sold to Claymore Shipping Co. not renamed, 1946 sold to Basra Steam Shipping Co. not renamed, 1946 sold to East & West S.S. Co., Karachi renamed Firoza, 1960 scrapped at Karachi. 4,729
Shekatika 1936 built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee | 18th Oct. .1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.101 when off Rockall. 5,458
Sirikishna 1936 built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee | 24th Feb. 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.96. 5,458
Siva 1921 built by Stavanger Soberi & Dok, Stavanger | ex- Slotholm, 1923 purchased from A/S Malm, Christiania, 1st Jan. 1941 ran ashore of Cape Espichel, later refloated and beached and abandoned, 1941 sold and repaired, 1942 renamed Foca, 1959 laid up, 1963 deleted from Register. 1,304
Solent 1910 built by J. Crown & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Solent, 1916 purchased from D.H. Willey, Sunderland not renamed, 1919 sold to T.C. Tevens & Co., Leith not renamed, 1921 sold to Worms & Cie, Le Havre renamed Yainville, 1934 sold to N.G. Livanos, Piraeus, Greece renamed Mary II, 1935 sold to A.N. Zoiopoulous renamed Varvara, 19th March 1943 sold after bombing attack off Tripoli. 1,474
Soutra (1)   see Cairnavon.  
Struan 1942 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Patriot built for Ministry of War Transport, 1946 purchased renamed Struan, 1959 laid up, 1960 sold to Marconato Cia Nav., Beirut renamed Zannis, 1968 renamed Orontes, 1974 scrapped at Istanbul. 2,893
Tana (1) 1882 built by S.P. Austin & Son, Sunderland | 1935 scrapped at Grangemouth. 1,169
Tolsta (1)   See Cairnnevis.  
Tom Morton 1872 built by S. & H. Morton & Co., Leith | ex- Tom Morton built for H. Morton, Leith, 1884 purchased not renamed, 1886 went missing at sea. 1,402
Twilight 1884 built by Caird, Purdie & Co., Barrow | ex- Emmanuel Scicluna built for E. Scicluna, Malta, ex- Twilight 1894, 1897 purchased from Stott, Coker & Co., Liverpool not renamed, 1904 renamed Ailsa, 18th June 1915 captured and sunk by German submarine U.17 northeast of Bell Rock. 902
Verdala 1968 built by Uraga Heavy Industries, Yokosuka | ex- Verdala, 1973 purchased from Orient Bulk Carriers, Glasgow, 1974 sold to Bibby Line renamed Shropshire, 1977 sold to Aidan Shipping Co., Malta renamed Verdala, 1978 sold to Macosky Shipping Corp., Piraeus renamed Marcalan, 1983 sold to Ileg Cia Naviera S. A. and managed by Dirphys Marine renamed Vasilakis, 1987 sold to Archipelagos Marine Co., Limassol renamed S.V. Exi, 1992 scrapped at Alang. 14,771
Verma 1896 built by Campbeltown Shipbuilding Co., Campbeltown | ex- Heather Bell, 1897 purchased from Heatherbell Steam Ship Co., London, transferred to M. Pedersen, Mandal, Norway renamed Verma, 1899 sold to Meliton, Gonzalez y Cia, Gijon renamed Segundo, 1915 sold to Compania Gijonesa de Vapores, Gijon not renamed, 1916 sold to Ferrer Peset Hermanos, Valencia renamed G. Sorni, 1918 sold to Cia Trasmediterranea, Valencia same name, 1928 scrapped. 1,253
Wavelet 1905 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Wavelet, 1915 purchased from Needham Bros, West Hartlepool not renamed, 27th August 1916 wrecked near Bjunga Rock, Norway. 2,992
Wendy 1913 built by Ramage & Ferguson, Leith | ex- Wendy, 1915 purchased from G.V. Turnbull & Co., Leith not renamed, 1915 sold to Tyne Tees Shipping Co., Newcastle same name, 1935 sold to Ch. Vairon & Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1936 renamed La Santa Maria, 1936 sold to Anglo Iberian S.S. Co., London renamed Briardale, 1937 renamed Dover Abbey, 1940 sold to Geo. Gibson & Co., Leith renamed Woodstock, 15th February sank after collision with steamer ANDRE THOM in Robin Hood Bay. 958
    Norwegian Line  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Fenja 1924 built by Helsingborgs Varfs Aktieb, Helsingborg | ex- Fenja built for Rederi A/B Kare, Stockholm, 1940 purchased from F.T.L. Shipping Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1952 scrapped at Rosyth. 847
Fidra (2) 1956 built by James Lamont & Co., Port Glasgow | 1969 sold to Cyprus renamed Ajax, 1970 sold to Nefeli Shipping Co., Cyprus same name, 1971 sold to Pentas Shipping Co., Cyprus renamed Bell Crusader, 1975 sold to Median Navigation Shipping Co., Cyprus renamed Katerina PA,1979 sold to Omar N. Walid & Co., Syria renamed Sabina, 1980 renamed Adham I, 1982 renamed Negwan, 26th November 1985 foundered at anchor off Tripoli, Lebanon. 1,333
Folda (2) 1920 built by J. Samuel White & Co., Cowes | ex- Atlas built for A/S Atlas, Lagersund, ex- Aintree 1922, 1925 purchased from A. Rowland & Co., Liverpool renamed Folda, 1956 scrapped at Rosyth. 1,165
Glen Derry 1924 built by Alexander Hall & Co., Aberdeen | ex- Glen Derry, 1928 purchased from John Cook & Son, Aberdeen not renamed, 19th Dec.1930 sank in collision with steamer HAWORTH. 1,060
Glen Farg 1937 built by J. Lewis & Sons, Aberdeen | 4th Oct.1939 captured and sunk by German submarine U.23 near Duncansby Head. 876
Glen Gairn 1922 built by J. Samuel White & Co., Cowes | ex- Acklam built for A. Chester, Middlesborough, ex- Allerton 1922 for A. Rowland & Co., Liverpool, ex- Glen Gairn 1925, 1928 purchased from John Cook & Son, Aberdeen not renamed, 1942 sold to Williamstown Shipping Co. (Comben, Longstaff & Co.), London not renamed, 1945 renamed Surreybrook, 1945 sold to Brook Shipping Co., London, 1946 reverted to Williamstown Shipping Co., 1948 sold to A.G. Tsavliris, London renamed George T, 1952 sold to N.T. Papadatos, Piraeus renamed Ioanna Maria, 1955 sold same name, 1956 sold renamed Alkis, 8th April 1958 sank off Syros Island. 904
Glen Tanar 1920 built by W. Harkness & Son, Middlesborough | Laid down as War Usk for Shipping Controller, ex- Glen Tanar 1920, 1928 purchased from John Cook & Son, Aberdeen not renamed, 2nd Jan.1937 ran ashore in Hardanger Fjord, 3rd Jan.1937 slipped off rocks and sank in deep water. 876
Glen Tilt 1920 built by W. Harkness & Son, Middlesborough | Launched as War Tees for Shipping Controller, ex- Goodwill of Bristol 1920, 1929 purchased from Main Collery Co., Bristol renamed Glen Tilt, 1942 sold to Culliforf & Clark, London not renamed, 12th Dec.1942 torpedoed and sunk by German E boat near Lowestoft. 871
Glitra (3) 1952 built by Clelands (Successors), Wallsend | 1969 sold to Cokal Cia Nav., Somalia renamed Meliora, 8th June 1971 foundered in heavy weather. 992
Laksa 1960 built by James Lamont & Co., Port Glasgow | 1971 sold to John Stewart & Co. Shipping Ltd, Glasgow renamed Yewkyle, 1974 sold to Coe Metcall Shipping, Liverpool renamed Rosethorn, 1980 sold to Mayfab Shipping & Trading Co., Lebanon renamed Rana I, 1988 sold renamed Noura I, 2001 sold renamed Noor Aldin, 2003 sold renamed Gulf II, 2003 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 1,323
Logna (2) 1958 built by Bergens MV, Bergen | 1970 sold to Island Cement Co., Bahamas renamed Island Cement, 1980 scrapped at Port Everglades. 1,341
Marna (3) 1940 built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Ltd., Goole | ex- Empire Cliff built for Ministry of War Transport, 1945 purchased renamed Marna, 1960 sold to Hargreaves Coal & Shipping Co., London renamed Harcliff, 1963 sold to Componave Cia Portuguesa de Nav. Ltda, Panama renamed Ricardo Manuel, 4th Sept. 1971 sank at Casablanca after collision. 847
Otra (1) 1890 built by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields | Norwegian Flag, March 1913 stranded near Peterhead and sold as she lay to Grangemouth Dockyard, salvaged and repaired, sold to Richard & Berthe, Morlaix renamed Cap Mazagan, 1916 sold to F. Lecouvre, Morlaix not renamed, 1st Oct.1916 captured and sunk by German submarine U.38 near Longships. 795
Otra (2) 1957 built by Geo. Brown & Co. (Marine), Greenock | 1968 sold to Greece renamed Themistocles, 1975 sold to Cyprus same name, 1978 sold same name, 1st January 1982 ran ashore, refloated and laid up, 1983 scrapped. 1,325
Soutra (2) 1958 built by Fleming & Ferguson, Paisley | 1970 sold to M & G Shipping Malta renamed Malta Faith, 1973 sold to Wm. Cooper & Sons, Widnes not renamed, 1974 sold to J. Henry Schroder, Wagg & Co., London renamed Raynestone, 1982 scrapped at Birkenhead. 1,334
Tana (2) 1953 built by Clelands (Successors), Wallsend | 1963 sold to Hargreaves Coal & Shipping Co., London renamed Harfry, 1969 sold to Brigdale Shipping Co., London renamed Ethel B, 1972 sold to Gulf Shipping Nav. Co. Inc, Panama renamed Alexandra K, 1973 sold to Greece renamed Evanthia K, 8th March 1976 beached after collision and became a total loss. 1,231
Tolsta (2) 1960 built by James Lamont & Co., Port Glasgow | 1971 sold to John Stewart & Co. Shipping Ltd, Glasgow renamed Yewglen, 1974 sold to Clyde Shipping Co., Glasgow renamed Toward, 1976 sold to Demline Navigation, Panama renamed Mary D, 1978 sold to Carigulf Lines, Panama renamed Carigulf Express, 1984 scrapped at Brownsville. 1,323
Tronda (1) 1875 built by S. & H. Morton & Co., Leith | Norwegian Flag, ex- Monaco, 1887 purchased from Dansey & Robinson, South Shields and transferred to Damps. Selsk Tronda (T.F. Andersen), Drontheim renamed Tronda, 1926 transferred to Olna Whaling Co. and used as a pier and store in Shetlands. 634
Tronda (2) 1937 built by Goole Shipbuilding & Repairing Co. Ltd., Goole | ex- Andoni, 1949 purchased from T.E. Evans & Co., London, renamed Tronda, 1961 sold to Metcalf Motor Coasters, London renamed Moira M, 1968 scrapped at Inverkeithing. 678
Valund 1878 built by E. Withy & Co., Hartlepool | Norwegian Flag, 1886 transferred to Damps. Valund (H.M. Pedersen), Mandal, 28th Jan. 1913 wrecked near Sinoe. 705

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: November 10, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli