FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Deutsche Levante Line

Founded in 1889 to operate services to the Eastern Mediterranean, North African and Black Sea ports. Experimental services between the Mediterranean and New York were operated between 1902 - 1904 but then ceased. In 1910 the company amalgamated with Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas and in the same year took over the fleets of A. C. de Freitas and the Adria Line from H. C. Horn. By 1912 the company owned 54 ships and by 1914 Albert Ballinn and HAPAG owned a controlling interest in the company. In Aug.1914 with the outbreak of the Great War, all services were suspended and those in German ports were laid up. The remainder either took refuge in neutral ports, were sunk or captured or taken over by allied Turkey. After the end of the war, the company was obliged to surrender all their ships over 1,600 gross tons to the Inter Allied Shipping Commission as war reparations. By 1920 Deutsche Levante Line had disappeared as an independent company and became an integral part of HAPAG. In 1935 under a German Government system of rationalisation DLL separated from the parent company.
In the later 1920s, North German Lloyd also became involved with DLL and even put some of it's ships under DLL colours and flag. When the Nazi Government came to power in Germany, they dismantled the large companies and Deutsche Levante Line was reformed as a seperate company. 14 ships were transferred from HAPAG and 3 from NGL into the new company. Most of their ships were lost during WWII and the surviving ones taken over by the Allies. The company was slowly rebuilt during the 1950s, but in 1956 the majority of shares were purchased by Rudolf A. Oetker who controlled Hamburg Sudamerikanische Line. In 1967 the funnels and colours of DLL were replaced by those of Hamburg Sud and by 1970 the company had disappeared completely.

Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Routes:

  • 1889-1914 Hamburg / Bremen / Antwerp / Rotterdam to Eastern Mediterranean, North Africa and Black Sea Ports
  • 1902-1904 Black Sea and Mediterranean ports to New York.
  • 1920 - 1939 Hamburg - Western Mediterranean ports, later to Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea.
  • 1949 - 1967 Hamburg - Mediterranean.

Funnel:
Black with broad white band containing reproduction of houseflag.

Fleet:

Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Abana 1929 owned by NGL but managed by DLL, 1935 returned to NGL. 2,867
Abessinia 1920 1929 returned to HAPAG. 1,566
Achaia (1) 1907 1910 transferred from Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas to DLL, 1914 seized by British at Alexandria renamed Alexandria, 1916 mined and sunk off Oran. 2,733
Achaia (2) 1923 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1931 sold to H. Schuldt, Flensburg renamed Troyburg. 2,288
Adalia 1921 1923-1940 managed for Hapag, 1940 sunk after collision with ss Mendoza in Flushing Roads. 3,214
Adana 1922 ex- Atto, 1936 purchased from NGL renamed Adana, 1941 sunk by Royal Navy off Libya. 4,176
Adria 1955 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, sold to Hansa Line, Bremen. 3,156
Aegina (1) 1906 1910 transferred from Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas to DLL, 1914 laid up at Smyrna, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul, 1915 scuttled as a blockship off Smyrna, later refloated repaired, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 renamed Izmir, 1921 sold to Gart Line, Glasgow renamed Gartland. 1,832
Aegina (2) 1922 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1935 returned to NGL. 2,447
Agais 1952 1965 sold to U. C. Hansen, Flensburg. 2,778
Agira 1929 owned by NGL but managed by DLL, 1935 returned to NGL. 2,867
Akka   see Stettin.  
Aleppo (1) 1921 1923 sunk in collision with s/s UGUAGLIANZA in River Elbe. 976
Aleppo (2) 1943 ex- Alegrita, 1958 purchased from Sweden renamed Aleppo, 1964 sold to Greece renamed Nissos Serifos. 1,812
Alexandria 1920 1932 returned to HAPAG. 1,575
Alimnia   see Ostsee.  
Amantea   see Galata (3)  
Ambria 1922 1926 transferred to HAPAG. 1,381
Anatolia (1) 1905 1910 transferred to DLL from Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, 1916 seized by the Allies, allocated to Great Britain renamed Poltolia. 1,831
Anatolia (2) 1922 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1935 returned to NGL. 2,246
Ancona 1898 1927 owned by NGL but managed by DLL, 1928 sold to Brazil renamed Pirangy. 3,810
Andros (1) 1878 ex- Rosario, 1892 purchased by F. Laeisz, Hamburg from Hamburg South America Line renamed Andros managed by DLL, 1900 purchased by DLL, 1911 sold to Fratelli Cerutti di Antonio, Varazze renamed Varazze. 1,824
Andros (2) 1911 owned by Levante Kontor GmbH, Hamburg managed by DLL, 1913 transferred to DLL, 1914 seized by British at Alexandria, 1915 renamed Huntsworth, 1920 sold to Norway renamed Cederic. 2,991
Andros (3) 1910 1926 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL, 1935 owned by DLL, 1940 taken over by German Navy, 1945 bombed and sunk off Swinemunde. 3,048
Angora (1) 1920 tug, 1920-1925 managed for Hapag. 241
Angora (2) 1923 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1935 transferred to DLL ownership renamed Konya, 1939 sold to R. Bornhofen, Hamburg renamed Elisabeth Bornhofen. 2,289
Ankara (1) 1937 1940 German naval requisition, 1943 mined and sunk off Bizerta. 4,768
Ankara (2) 1953 ex- Babitonga, 1959 transferred from Hamburg Sud management renamed Ankara. 1967 returned to Hamburg Sud, 1971 sold to Greece. 4,609
Antiochia 1921 1928 transferred to HAPAG. 3,106
Apollonia   see Pommern.  
Aquila 1908 ex- Alba, 1940 seized from Greece renamed Aquila, 1944 bombed and sunk off Norway. 3,530
Arabia 1921 1926 went missing off Southern Ireland on voyage Hamburg - Limerick. 1,385
Arcadia 1922 1928 transferred to HAPAG. 1,441
Argos (1) 1883 ex- Bahrenfeld, 1899 purchased from Gläfke & Hennings, Hamburg renamed Argos, 1900 sold to Hamburg South America Line, renamed Triest. 1,480
Argos (2) 1889 ex- Heimburg, 1899 purchased from DGG Hansa Line, Bremen renamed Argos, 1906 sold to Northern SS Co., Petersburg renamed Eduard Barry. 1,810
Arkadia (1) 1906 1910 transferred from Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas, to DLL, 1914 laid up at Lisbon, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Esposende. 1,781
Arkadia (2) 1927 ex- Amsel, 1935 transferred from Argo Line renamed Arkadia, 1941 German naval transport, 1943 mined and sunk off Constanzia. 1,756
Arta (1) 1898 ex- Livland, 1905 purchased from Dampfschiff Ges. Argo by Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas renamed Arta, 1910 transferred to DLL, 1914 transferred to German Navy, 1915 returned to owners, 1920 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 bought back but registered for Cargadoors & Scheep. Kantoor Levant, Rotterdam, renamed Pontos, 1925 transferred to German flag same name, DLL managers, 1927 sold to F. Spampinato, Catania renamed Eraclito. 2,338
Arta (2) 1922 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1935 transferred to Atlas Levant Line, 1941 German naval transport, 1941 sunk by Royal Navy. 2,452
Artushof 1919 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1930 sold to Theodor Gribel, Stettin. 1,478
Athen (1) 1936 1940 German Navy minesweeper, 1940 mined and damaged off Boulogne, 1942 returned to DLL, 1946 handed to USSR renamed General Brussilov. 4,451
Athen (2) 1951 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1967 sold to Greece. 2,699
Athena (1) 1905 1910 transferred from Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas to DLL, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, later interned, 1916 seized by the Allies, allocated to Britain, renamed Huntsclyde, 1922 sold to F.G. Reinhold, Danzig renamed Ostsee, 1922 transferred to Seereederei Danzig renamed Marmara, 1925 taken over by Stettiner Dampfer Compagnie, Stettin managed by DLL, 1930 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen renamed Albania managed by DLL, 1932 sold to USSR renamed Morzovec. 2,016
Athena (2) 1923 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1933 sold to USSR renamed Ilmen. 2,288
Athos (1) 1882 ex- Mexico, 1899 purchased from Gläfke & Hennings, Hamburg renamed Athos, 1899 sold to Hamburg South America Line renamed Fiume. 1,346
Athos (2) 1891 ex- Marxburg, 1900 purchased from DGG Hansa Line, Bremen renamed Athos, 1914 seized by Russian Government at Mariupol, 1914 sunk by Turkish cruiser Midilli in Black Sea. 2,177
Atlas (1) 1938 1941 German naval requisition, reconstruction not completed by end of war and completed 1949 for MOWT as Empire Glencoe. 4,637
Atlas (2) 1951 1959 renamed Naguilan, 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1969 sold to Oldendorff, Hamburg renamed Nordhaff. 2,699
Attika (1) 1906 1907-1910 managed for Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas, 1910 sunk off Dardanelles. 1,781
Attika (2) 1922 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1935 returned to NGL. 2,453
Austria 1889 1910 purchased with A. C. de Freitas fleet, 1919 allocated to Britain, 1921 sold to the Steamers Trading Co., Liverpool renamed Yula. 2,939
Avola   see Oderland.  
Babylon 1895 1911 purchased with A. C. de Freitas fleet, 1920 allocated to Britain, 1920 sold to Greek Government same name. 2,498
Bagdad 1902 1911 purchased with A. C. de Freitas fleet, 1919 allocated to Britain not renamed, 1921 sold to Rob M. Sloman jr., Hamburg renamed Alicante. 2,364
Belgrad 1937 1940 converted to minesweeper, 1944 scuttled at Bordeaux, 1945 salvaged and 1951 became French owned Nicole Schiaffino. 4,418
Bogados 1891 ex- Antares, 1912 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Bogados, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, 1916 seized by the Allies allocated to France renamed Moulin Blanc. 2,942
Bosforos 1911 owned by Levante Kontor GmbH, Hamburg managed by DLL, 1913 transferred to DLL, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division renamed Bosforus, 1915 sunk by British submarine E 11 off Bandirma. 2,995
Bosporus (1) 1911 ex- Ursula Rickmers, 1917 purchased from Rickmers Line renamed Bosporus, 1919 allocated to Britain, 1920 sold to SS Co. Glenloy, Glasgow renamed Glenluss. 4,185
Bosporus (2) 1890 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1925 sold to Turkey renamed Nedjat. 2,581
Bukarest 1939 1939 became Luftwaffe aircraft maintenance ship, 1945 to MOWT renamed Empire Ettrick. 4,558
Byblos 1959 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1969 sold to Flensburg owners renamed Bockholm. 4,449
Byzanz 1893 1911 purchased with A. C. de Freitas fleet, 1913 sold to H. Schmidt, Flensburg renamed Pollux. 1,799
Cairo (1) 1921 1925 sold to Bugsier Reederei und Bergungs, Hamburg renamed Holstenau. 1,414
Cairo (2) 1934 owned by NGL but managed by DLL, 1935 returned to NGL. 3,183
Cairo (3) 1936 1939 German naval requisition, 1941 converted to commerce raider renamed Stier, 1942 damaged in battle with U.S Liberty ship STEPHEN HOPKINS and later sank. 4,778
Cairo (4) 1953 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1967 sold to Panama renamed Santa Katerina. 2,699
Castel Pelesch 1913 1914 laid up at Sabang, later interned, 1918 allocated to the Netherlands Government as a war loss replacement transferred to Koninklijke Hollandsche Lloyd, Amsterdam renamed Gaasterland. 3,464
Cattaro 1923 1928 transferred to HAPAG. 1,424
Cavalla 1912 ex- Frankfurt, 1919 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Cavalla, 1920 transferred to Hapag but stayed under DLL flag, 1923 sold to Roland Line. 1,570
Cerigo 1922 1927 transferred to HAPAG. 1,426
Chios (1) 1890 1906 sold to Northern SS Co., St. Petersburg renamed Consul Thorsoe. 1,694
Chios (2) 1891 ex- Stassfurt, 1906 purchased from German Australian Line renamed Chios, 1911 sank in bad weather in the Bay of Biscay. 3,231
Chios (3)   see Louise.  
Chios (4) 1912 1927 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1935 owned by DLL, 1944 mined and sunk. 1,731
Cyrene 1958 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, sold to Hansa Line, Bremen. 2,353
Damaskus (1) 1953 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1958 chartered to HAPAG renamed Luneburg, 1964 sold to Belgium renamed Caribia. 4,525
Damaskus (2) 1953 ex- Belmonte, 1958 transferred from Hamburg Sud management renamed Damaskus, 1967 returned to Hamburg Sud, 1971 sold to Greece. 4,420
Delos (1) 1882 ex- Asia, 1894 purchased from D.H. Wätjen & Co., Bremen renamed Delos, 1899 sold to Gjerdsö & Bakkevik, Haugesund renamed Haraldsvang. 1,680
Delos (2) 1889 ex- Olympo, 1899 purchased from Plate SS Co., London renamed Delos, 1914 seized by Belgian Government in Antwerp, 1914 at the conquest of Antwerp returned and laid up, 1918 seized by Belgian Government again, 1921 sold to Byron SS Co., London renamed Maid of Delos, 1922 foundered. 2,214
Delos (3) 1922 1927 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1935 owned by DLL, 1940 German naval transport, 1942 damaged off Tobruk, gounded and abandoned. 2,589
Derindje (1) 1912 1912 purchased from Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul, renamed Derince, 1914 sunk by Russian destroyers off Tirebolu. 3,373
Derindje (2) 1916 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 allocated to Greece but sold instead to Zodiac Shipping Co., London renamed Chief Scout, 1920 sold to Hapag, Hamburg but registered for Cargadoors & Scheepvaart Kantoor Levant, Rotterdam, renamed Derindje. 3,063
Deutschland 1921 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1928 rebuilt to 1778 tons, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd renamed Aquila. 1,602
Durazzo 1922 1922 transferred to HAPAG. 1,468
Elmenhorst 1945 1945 to MOWT renamed Empire Galleon. 1,923
Enos 1911 1914 laid up at Lisbon, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Leca, 1916 sunk by German submarine UC 18 in the Bay of Biscay. 1,911
Eresos 1893 ex- Amerika, 1912 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Eresos, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division renamed Erezos, 1915 sunk at entrance of River Sakarya by Russian destroyer. 3,022
Erika 1957 1964 purchased from Karl Gross, Bremen, 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1970 sold to Greece renamed Sovereign Crystal. 3,170
Erymanthos 1911 1914 captured near Malta by British gunboat Hussar, 1915 renamed Huntsland, 1918 sunk by German submarine UC 77 north of Le Havre. 2,934
Eupatoria 1922 1928 transferred to HAPAG.
3,172
Euripos (1) 1878 1892-1893 managed for F. Laeisz, Hamburg, 1893 sunk after collision with SS Roumelia. 1,653
Euripos (2) 1907 ex- Minna Horn, 1911 purchased from H. C. Horn renamed Eupiros, 1914 laid up at Lisbon, later interned, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Caminha, 1917 sunk by German submarine UC 71 in the Bay of Biscay. 2,763
Feodosia 1922 1928 transferred to HAPAG. 3,075
Galata (1)   see Paros (2)  
Galata (2) 1905 ex- Mansfeld, 1913 purchased from Continentale Rhederei, Hamburg renamed Galata, 1914 laid up at Lisbon, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Faro. 4,044
Galata (3) 1906 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd but still under DLL management renamed Amantea, 1932 sold to USSR renamed Kola. 2,654
Galata (4) 1952 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1971 sold to Greece. 2,676
Galilea 1922 1939 laid up at Trieste, 1941 became naval transport and 1943 torpedoed and sunk off Tripoli. 1,927
Gallipoli 1907 ex- Dorothea Rickmers, 1917 purchased from Rickmers Line renamed Gallipoli, 1919 allocated to Britain, 1921 sold to Byron SS Co., London renamed Maid of Lemnos. 4,177
Georgia 1922 1928 transferred to HAPAG. 2,967
Goslar 1897 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1926 sold to Hugo Ferdinand, Rostock renamed Helga Ferdinand. 2,157
Gotenhof 1915 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1930 sold to Theodor Gribel, Stettin. 1,454
Greifswald 1902 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1924 sold to Turkey renamed Yelkendji Zade Riffat. 1,712
Haidar Pascha 1912 ex- Hornfels, 1912 purchased from H. C. Horn, Lubeck by Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas managed by DLL renamed Haidar Pascha, 1912 purchased by DLL, 1914 seized by Great Britain at Alexandria, 1915 renamed Huntsbridge, 1917 sunk by German submarne UB 49 southwest of Cape Spartel. 3,424
Heraklea 1922 1922 managed by DLL for Hapag, 1931 management ended, 1937 purchased by DLL, 1940 transferred to Mittelmeer Reederei, 1941 torpedoed off Cap Ras. 1,927
Imbros (1) 1893 ex- Pelotas, 1897 purchased by F. Laeisz, Hamburg from Hamburg South America Line renamed Imbros managed by DLL, 1900 purchased by DLL, 1914 laid up at Girgenti, 1915 seized by Italian Government renamed Legnano. 2,380
Imbros (2) 1906 1927 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1933 sold to Orion Schiffahrts, Rostock renamed Fortuna. 2,700
Ionia 1922 1923 transferred to HAPAG. 3,102
Ismailia 1956 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1958 renamed Cap Castillo. 4,042
Italia 1895 1911 purchased with A. C. de Freitas fleet, 1914 laid up at Torre Anunziata, 1916 seized by Italian Government, 1917 sunk by German submarine UC 35 off Savona. 3,498
Kalymnos 1893 ex- Arcturus, 1912 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Kalymnos, 1914 captured by British destroyer HMS Savage, 1915 sold to Prince Line renamed Polish Prince. 2,932
Karpathos 1893 ex- Andromeda, 1912 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Karpathos, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Byron SS Co. renamed Maid of Tenos. 2,957
Kawak 1895 ex- Oberon, 1912 purchased from Spielmann & Co, Hamburg by Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas renamed Kawak managed by DLL, 1913 purchased by DLL, 1914 captured by HMS Chatham, 1915 sold to Prince Line renamed Polar Prince, 1917 torpedoed and sunk off Cape Spartel by UB 50. 3,457
Kerkplein 1921 1940 seized from Dutch owners, 1944 taken over by Oldenburg Portuguese Line, 1945 returned to owners. 5,207
Kerkyra 1907 ex- Neuenstein, 1912 purchased from Seetransport, Hamburg by Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas managed by DLL renamed Keryra, 1913 purchased by DLL, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division, 1919 allocated to Britain, 1921 sold to Radnor SS Co., London. 2,564
Konya   see Angora.  
Kreta 1923 1927 transferred to HAPAG, 1939 sold back to DLL, 1940 naval transport, 1946 delivered to USSR as war reparations renamed Yalta. 2,359
Kypros 1894 ex- Marienburg built in 1894 for DGG Hansa, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa by F. Laeisz, Hamburg renamed Kypros managed by DLL, 1906 purchased by DLL, 1920 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Rob M. Sloman, Hamburg renamed Almeria. 2,210
Kythera   see Ostsee.  
Kythnos 1902 1914 laid up in Eleusis Bay, 1916 seized by the British, 1918 allocated to French Government renamed Monastir. 1,913
Larissa   see Oderland.  
Lemnos (1) 1883 ex- Denderah, 1898 purchased by F. Laeisz, Hamburg from Kosmos Line, Hamburg renamed Lemnos managed by DLL, 1900 purchased by DLL, 1901 sunk after colision with SS Helios off Blankenese. 2,253
Lemnos (2) 1888 1906 purchased from F. Laeisz, Hamburg, 1914 laid up at Ancona, 1915 sunk by Austrian Hungarian warships, 1917 salvaged, seized repaired renamed San Giusto. 2,487
Leros (1) 1883 ex- Slavonia, 1898 purchased from Hamburg America Line renamed Leros, 1906 stranded and lost, 1907 wreck salvaged and scrapped. 2,215
Leros (2) 1906 ex- Hornsund, 1911 purchased from H. C. Horn renamed Leros, 1914 laid up at Constantinople, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul, 1915 sunk by British submarine, later salvaged and repaired, 1919 allocated to Roumania renamed Oituz. 2,679
Lesbos 1890 1914 seized by Belgian Government in Antwerp, 1914 at the conquest of Antwerp returned and laid up, 1918 seized by Belgian Government again not renamed, 1919 wrecked at Cross Sands off Yarmouth. 1,928
Levante (1) 1939 1940 German naval requisition, 1945 to MOWT renamed Empire Kent. 4,769
Levante (2) 1951 1953 to Atlas Levante Line, Bremen, 1965 sold to Oldendorff, Hamburg, 1966 renamed Don Pedro. 2,699
Libanon 1952 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1971 sold to Greece. 4,435
Lipsos (1) 1884 ex- Gothia, 1898 purchased from Hamburg America Line renamed Lipsos, 1913 sold to Wm. Eisenach, Stettin renamed Anna Strowig. 2,381
Lipsos (2) 1902 ex- Ceres, 1913 purchased from Soc. Les Affreteurs Reunis, Rouen renamed Lipsos, 1914 seized by Belgian Government in Antwerp, 1914 at the conquest of Antwerp returned and laid up, 1919 seized by British Government, 1920 sold to Shakespeare Shipping Co., Glasgow renamed Ovid. 3,978
Livadia 1923 1926 transferred to HAPAG. 2,970
Louise 1898 1911 purchased from C. Hirschberg, Hamburg, 1912 renamed Chios, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul renamed Kios, 1915 sunk by British submarine E 11 off Akbash in Marmara Sea. 3,304
Macedonia 1922 ex- Cuba, owned by HAPAG but 1931 put under DLL management and renamed Macedonia, 1935 owned by DLL, 1942 German naval transport, torpedoed off Sousse, Tunisia, beached and broke in two. 2,875
Manissa 1921 ex- Ulm, 1935 transferred from NGL renamed Manissa, 1937 wrecked off Antalya. 3,970
Marienburg 1919 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1926 sold to Kohlen Import und Poseiden AG, Konigsberg renamed Koholyt. 884
Marmara 1953 1962 sold to Rostock owners renamed Elbe. 2,693
Milos (1) 1882 ex- Ceara (Hamburg South America Line), 1892 sold to foreign buyers, 1894 purchased by DLL renamed Milos, 1894 lost without a trace. 1,990
Milos (2) 1898 ex- Gellivara, 1898 purchased from Angier Line, London renamed Milos, 1901 sold to the Hanseatische Dampfer Compagnie, Hamburg renamed Hans Menzell. 2,706
Milos (3) 1896 ex- Lynrowan, 1901 purchased from Liver Shipping Co., Liverpool renamed Milos, 1916 seized by Portugal, renamed Sines. 2,823
Milos (4) 1906 1927 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1935 owned by DLL, 1944 mined and sunk. 2,702
Morea 1922 1940 attempted to break through British blockade by captured off Iceland and renamed Empire Seaman. 1,927
Mudros 1899 ex- Asia, 1912 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Mudros, 1914 laid up at Syracuse, 1915 taken over by Italian Government, 1916 seized by Italians, 1918 sunk in Straits of Sicily by German submarine U 34. 3,137
Naguilan   see Atlas (2)  
Nauplia 1901 1926 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1932 sold to Reederei Treuhand Gesellschaft. 3,966
Naxos (1) 1878 ex- Hamburg, 1892 purchased by F. Laeisz, Hamburg from Hamburg South America Line renamed Naxos managed by DLL, 1900 purchased by DLL, 1902 sold to Deutsche Ost-Afrika Linie, Hamburg renamed Khalif. 1,644
Naxos (2) 1894 ex- Harzburg, 1904 purchased from DDG Hansa by F. Laeisz, Hamburg renamed Naxos managed by DLL, 1906 purchased by DLL, 1914 laid up at Lisbon, later interned, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Aveiro, 1918 sunk by German submarine UB 53 in Ionian Sea. 2,209
Nicea 1922 1936 sold to Kriegsmarine and rebuilt as submarine tender, 1938 renamed Donau. 1,927
Norderney 1931 1946 acquired from Kriegsmarine, 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1968 scrapped. 513
Oderland 1922 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1927 rebuilt to 1819 tons, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd but still managed by DLL renamed Avola. 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Line renamed Larissa. 1941 mined and sunk. 1,581
Odessa 1913 1915 scuttled at Alexandria, 1919 wreck seized by French Government, salvaged sold to Greece repaired renamed Podesta. 3,475
Olympos (1) 1911 1919 war reparations to Britain, 1921 to Ellerman & Bucknall Line renamed Rialto. 2,948
Olympos (2) 1906 1927 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1932 scrapped. 2,693
Orestes 1918 1940 seized from Konink. Nederlandsche Stoom. Maats, Amsterdam, 1945 returned to K.N.S.M. 2,663
Ostmark 1889 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1925 sold to Latvian-English SS Co, Riga renamed Mary. 1,234
Ostsee 1901 1924 taken over with Deutsche Orient Line, Stettin, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd but still managed by DLL renamed Alimnia, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Line renamed Kythera, 1939 sold to Hugo Ferdinand, Rostock renamed Gerda Ferdinand. 3,727
Otranto 1922 1924 sold to Norway renamed Hansi. 987
Palmyra (1) 1944 1945 to Norwegian Government renamed Brunlanes, 1946 sold to Fred Olsen Lines, 1947 sold to L. Harboe-Jensen, Oslo renamed Basis. 2,954
Palmyra (2) 1944 ex- Baltic Oak, 1957 purchased from United Baltic Corp., London renamed Palmyra. 1962 sunk off Ushant in collision with British tanker BRITISH MARINER. 1,794
Parnassos 1911 1914 laid up at Bilbao, 1919 allocated to France, 1921 sold to Soc. d'Armement, Frisch & Co., Marseille renamed Sainte Maxime. 2,860
Paros (1) 1879 ex- Buschir, 1896 purchased from T. Werth & Co., Bremen renamed Paros, 1905 captured off Vladivostock by Japanese auxiliary cruiser Hong Kong Maru and taken as a prize sold to K. Isigaki, Uraga renamed Kasama Maru, 1915 wrecked. 2,398
Paros (2) 1891 ex- Bellagio, 1905 purchased from Dampschiffs Rhederei Union, Hamburg renamed Paros, 1906 renamed Galata, 1913 sold to Soc. di Nav. Sicilia, Palermo renamed Apollonia. 2,864
Paros (3) 1898 ex- Richmond Castle, 1906 purchased from Lancashire Shipping Co., Liverpool renamed Paros, 1914 seized by the British at Alexandria, 1915 sunk by German submarine U 38 west of Bardsey Island. 3,576
Patmos 1902 1914 laid up at Constantinople, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul, 1916 mined and sunk, salvaged and in 1917 again in service, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 sold to Byron SS Co., London renamed Lord Broughton. 1,907
Patria 1939 ex- Ste. Christine, 1942 taken over from Vichy France renamed Patria, 1943 bombed and sunk off Messina. 1,341
Pera (1) 1888 ex- Porto Alegre, 1898 purchased from Hamburg South America Line renamed Pera, 1913 sold to Soc. di Nav. Sicilia, Palermo renamed Misurata. 2,499
Pera (2) 1905 ex- Heimfeld, 1914 purchased from Continentale Rhederei, Hamburg renamed Pera, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Bolton SS Co., renamed Rubens. 4,002
Pera (3) 1918 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes renamed Le Myre de Villers. 1,467
Pera (4) 1922 1926 owned by NGL but managed by DLL, 1931 sold to H. Schuldte, Flensburg renamed Norburg. 2,392
Pergamon (1) 1943 1945 bombed and sunk off Trondheim. 2,998
Pergamon (2) 1920 ex- Destrian, 1950 purchased from Ellerman Line renamed Pergamon, 1956 DLL taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1964 scrapped. 3,458
Phonizien 1956 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1970 sold to Flensburg owners renamed Kekenis. 2,007
Pindos 1911 1914 seized by British at Alexandria, 1916 renamed Huntscape, 1920 sold to A/S Det Selmerske Rederi, Trondheim renamed Daisy Moller. 2,936
Pommern 1900 1924 taken over with Deutsche Orient Line, Stettin, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd, Bremen but still managed by DLL, renamed Apollonia, 1933 scrapped. 3,179
Pompeji 1939 1940 German naval transport, 1945 to MOWT renamed Empire Blackwater. 2,917
Pontos   see Arta  
Prinkipo 1921 1925 sold to Norway renamed Ottar Jarl. 1,419
Pylos 1896 ex- Rodney, 1900 purchased from Trafalgar SS Co., London renamed Pylos, 1920 stranded and lost. 2,177
Pyrgos (1) 1887 ex- Altona, 1899 purchased from Gläfke & Hennings, Hamburg renamed Pyrgos, 1908 sunk after collision with SS Violet at the entrance of River Elbe. 1,927
Pyrgos (2) 1906 ex- Horncap, 1911 purchased from H. C. Horn renamed Pyrgos, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Armement Deppe, Antwerp renamed Roumanie. 3,588
Rethymno 1923 1925 sold to Norway renamed Kong Halfdan. 1,424
Rheinland 1922 1924 taken over with Deutsche Orient Line, Stettin, 1926 sold to Worms & Cie., Le Havre renamed Canteleu. 1,577
Rhodos 1890 1914 laid up at Lisbon, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Belem. 1,925
Rimage 1914 ex- Hildur, 1941 seized from USSR renamed Rimage, 1945 bombed and sunk off Aalesund. 1,830
Rodosto 1903 ex- Helene Rickmers, 1912 purchased from Rickmers Line by Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas managed by DLL renamed Rodosto 1913 purchased by DLL, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division, 1916 captured by Russians renamed N 149, 1918 reverted to Germany renamed Rodosto, 1919 seized by France, 1920 sold to Italy. 3,662
Roma 1889 1911 purchased with A. C. de Freitas fleet, 1919 allocated to Britain, 1921 sold to Emiel R. Retzlaff, Stettin renamed Erda. 2,606
Sabratha 1958 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, sold to Hansa Line, Bremen. 2,353
Samos (1) 1890 1916 laid up at Venice, 1916 seized by Italian Government, 1917 renamed Tortona. 1,922
Samos (2) 1922 1927 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL 1935 owned by DLL, 1940 German naval transport, 1941 torpedoed and sunk off Benghazi. 2,576
Sebenico 1923 1924 sold to Lübecker Wyburger DG., Lübeck renamed Imatra. 1,053
Seriphos 1892 ex- Rio, 1902 purchased from Hamburg South America Line renamed Seiphos, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, later interned, 1916 seized by the Allies, 1917 to the Shipping Controller renamed Huntsgolf. 3,185
Sivas 1928 ex- George M. Livanos, 1938 purchased from Livanos Bros, Piraeus renamed Sivas, 1940 German naval requisition, 1945 laid up at Grimstad after grounding damage, 1946 scrapped. 3,832
Skyros 1896 ex- Leonis, 1899 purchased from Leonis SS Co., West Hartlepool renamed Skyros, 1914 laid up at Constantinople, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul renamed Skiros, 1915 sunk by Russian destroyer Pronsitelnyi off Kilia. 2,634
Smyrna 1912 ex- Heidelberg, 1919 purchased from Argo Line, Bremen renamed Smyrna, 1920 transferred to Hapag but stayed under DLL flag, 1923 sold to Roland Line. 1,571
Sofia (1) 1915 1919 allocated to Britain renamed St. Andrews, 1925 sold to Woermann Linie, Hamburg renamed Wagogo. 4,145
Sofia (2) 1934 owned by HAPAG but managed by DLL, 1935 owned by DLL, 1938 sold to Oldenburg Portuguese Line renamed Telde. 2,978
Sofia (3) 1939 1940 German naval requisition, engines removed and became accommodation hulk at Kiel, 1946 to USSR renamed Nadir. 4,446
Spalato 1923 1924 sold to Norway renamed Turid. 989
Sparta 1927 ex- Star, 1935 transferred from Argo Line renamed Sparta, 1941 German naval transport, 1945 bombed and sunk at Oreglia, 1947 salvaged and repaired for Italian owners. 1,724
Stambul (1) 1889 ex- Cintra, 1889 purchased from Hamburg South America Line renamed Stambul, 1912 sold to Tito Campanella Cantieri Savoia, Genoa renamed Cornigliano. 2,643
Stambul (2) 1904 ex- Maria Rickmers, 1912 purchased from Rickmers Line by Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas managed by DLL renamed Stambul 1913 purchased by DLL, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division renamed Istanbul, 1918 back to Germany as wreck repaired reverted to Stambul, 1919 allocated to Britain, 1921 sold to the British Africa Steam & Coaling Co., Capetown renamed Cape Point. 3,569
Stettin 1924 1924 taken over with Deutsche-Orient Line, Stettin, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd but still under DLL management renamed Akka, 1940 naval transport, 1945 delivered to MOWT renamed Empire Calder. 2,646
Stralsund 1897 1924 taken over with Deutsche Orient Line, Stettin, 1926 sold to Italy renamed Doride. 1,510
Syra 1923 1932 transferred to HAPAG 2,359
Syrte 1956 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, sold to Hansa Line, Bremen. 3,174
Taygetos 1911 1914 laid up at Lisbon, later interned, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Sagres, 1917 sunk by submarine in Mediterranean. 2,986
Tenedos 1889 ex- Milano, 1902 purchased from Rob. M. Sloman, Hamburg renamed Tenedos, 1914 laid up at Constantinople, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul, 1915 sunk by British submarine off Akbash. 3,564
Thasos (1) 1879 ex- Theben built for DDG Kosmos, 1894 sold to unknown foreign buyers, 1895 purchased by DLL renamed Thasos, 1895 wrecked off Vlieland. 1,686
Thasos (2) 1902 1931 stranded off Lulea and damaged, 1920 DLL taken over by Hapag, 1920 vessel repaired and 1921 renamed Volos management by DLL, 1931 stranded and lost. 1,907
Therapia 1902 1906 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen not renamed. 3,781
Thessalia 1921 ex- Mexico, owned by HAPAG but 1931 put under DLL management renamed Thessalia, 1935 owned by DLL, 1940 German naval transport, 1942 bombed and sunk off Tobruk. 2,875
Tinos (1) 1872 ex- Argentinia, 1894 purchased by F. Laeisz, Hamburg from Hamburg South America Line renamed Tinos managed by DLL, 1900 purchased by DLL, 1909 scrapped. 2,152
Tinos (2) 1906 ex- Hilda Horn, 1911 purchased from H. C. Horn renamed Tinos, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, 1916 seized by the Allies, transferred to French Government renamed Le Bourget. 3,587
Tinos (3) 1914 1935 transferred from HAPAG, 1941 German Naval Transport, 1941 bombed and sunk at Benghazi. 2,826
Tripoli 1961 ex- Axenfels, 1965 purchased from Hansa Line, Bremen renamed Tripoli, 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, returned to Hansa Line. 5,495
Troja 1922 1928 transferred to HAPAG. 2,391
Uhlenhorst 1909 ex- Koidula, 1941 seized from USSR renamed Uhlenhorst, 1948 returned to former Estonian owners, now in U.K. renamed Dabaibe. 4,024
Vaterland 1922 1924 taken over with Deutsche Orient Line, Stettin, 1927 rebuilt to 1773 tons, 1930 taken over by North German Lloyd renamed Alaya, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levant Line renamed Ithaka, 1940 German naval transport, 1941 torpedoed and sunk off Greece. 1,600
Volos (1) 1902 1914 laid up in Venice, 1915 taken over by Italian Government, 1916 seized by Italian Government renamed Padova. 1,903
Volos (2)   1921 see Thasos (2)  
Walter 1954 1964 purchased from Karl Gross, Bremen, 1967 taken over by Hamburg Sud, 1971 sold to Greece. 4,389
Weimar 1899 1924 taken over with Deutsche Orient Line, Stettin, 1926 sold to Japan renamed Kairyu Maru. 2,069
Yalova 1920 ex- Winfried, 1935 transferred from NGL renamed Yalova, 1940 German naval transport, 1941 torpedoed and beached at Aghios Georgios, Aegean Sea. 3,751
Yalta (1) 1914 owned by NGL which merged with DLL in 1926. 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes renamed Etienne de Flacourt. 1,495
Yalta (2) 1920 1926 owned by NGL but managed by DLL, 1931 sold to H. Schuldt, Flensburg renamed Hansburg. 2,369

Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: October 30, 2007 and maintained by and M. Kohli