FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Dundee, Perth & London Shipping Co. Ltd.

The Dundee, Perth & London Shipping Co. was formed in 1826 when the Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co. amalgamated with the Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., initially to provide cargo and passenger services between the Tay and London, Glasgow (via the Forth & Clyde Canal) and Liverpool. voyages were also made to the Baltic and White Seas for flax and timber. In 1849 the company abandoned the Glasgow and Liverpool trades due to railway competition and increased canal dues.
Their first steamship was the wooden paddle tug SIR WILLIAM WALLACE, built in 1830, used to tow lighters between Dundee and Perth and also carried passengers. In 1834 the company started using steamships on the Dundee to London service, in 1857 the fleet of the Dundee and Hull Shipping Co. was taken over and in 1859 ships were first used in the fruit trade from Greece and Spain.

The fleets of the Dundee & Newcastle Steam Shipping Co. were taken over in 1917, the Kirkcaldy Steamship Co. in 1918, Thomas Cowan & Co. in 1919 and Henry & MacGregor, Leith the same year. By 1926 the company operated a network of services between the Tay and London, Newcastle, Hull, Southampton and Northern France. In 1929 the Aberdeen, Newcastle & Hull Steam Co. was acquired. During World War II, five of the company's ships were requisitioned and several ships were managed for the Ministry of War Transport. In 1946 a return to deep sea tramping was made with voyages to the Mediterranean and later worldwide. Voyages to the St. Lawrence and Great Lakes started in 1951. In 1961 a minority share was purchased in Channel Shipping Co, Jersey.
Coastal sailings declined in the 1950s and by 1960 the company was trading at a loss and the Dundee - London service was terminated. The last ship was sold in 1967 and the company retired from shipowning.

Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel:
Red with Black top.

Fleet:

Funnel
    Sailing Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Anna 1813 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1838 sold to J. Webster, Dundee. 86
Bridport Packet 1793 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1827 sold to Thomas Keith, Dundee. 117
Cleopatra 1847 schooner, 1863 sold to G. Duncan & Co., London. 200
Clyde 1834 sloop, 1849 sold to Brown & Robertson, Montrose, rigged as schooner. 74
Courier 1816 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 1849 sold to J. A. Dickson, Arbroath. 141
Dame 1807 sloop, 1829 purchased from G. Clark, Dundee, 1836 sold to J. Kennedy, Dundee. 63
Dart 1836 sloop, 1849 sold to G. Bruce, Arbroath. 64
Defiance 1807 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1827 sold to Arbroath & London Shipping Co., London. 93
Dundee (1) 1818 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1834 sold to J. Calman, Dundee. 151
Elbe 1816 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 1849 sold to T. Sproat, Kirkcudbright. 121
Falcon 1854 schooner, 1863 sold to G. Hamby, Ipswich. 122
Fishers 1820 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1847 sold to P. Henderson, Dundee. 31
Forfarshire 1823 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 4th Oct.1832 lost off St. Abbs Head, Berwickshire. 145
Forth 1830 sloop, 1849 sold to J. Crichton, Dundee. 72
Friends 1821 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 1832 sold to Greig & Kildour, Kirkcaldy. 38
George Duncan 1847 schooner, 1853 purchased from Dundee & Hull Shipping Co., 23rd Jan.1860 sank near Shipwash Sands, Norfolk. 158
Gipsy 1805 sloop, 1829 purchased from G. Clark, Dundee, 1848 sold to Guthrie & Melville, Arbroath. 65
Glasgow 1816 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 1837 sold to S. Wilson, Kirkcudbright. 107
Jane 1823 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1848 sold to J. Noble, Fraserburgh. 69
Lark 1831 schooner, 1868 sold to W. Edwards, Newburgh. 47
Liverpool 1826 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1826 driven ashore at Great Ormes Head, North Wales, 1827 refloated but condemned and sold at auction to Horn & Hayes, Wexford. 99
London (1) 1824 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1847 sold to R. Tosh, Dundee and rigged as schooner. 115
Lord Kinnaird 1802 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1829 sold to Scott & Duell, Montrose. 121
Mary (1) 1811 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1830 sold to J. M. Vintner, Dundee. 56
Mary (2) 1835 sloop, 1849 sold to Johnston & Ross, Dundee. 75
Mersey (1) 1819 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 1830 sold to D. Sutherland, Montrose. 73
Mersey (2) 1834 sloop, 1849 sold to P. Mill, Arbroath, rigged as schooner. 79
Newcastle & Berwick Packet 1798 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1831 sold to David Watson, Dundee. 54
Olive 1814 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Union Shipping Co., 1834 D. Myles, Dundee, re-rigged as schooner. 90
Osnaburgh 1800 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1827 sold to M. Bryde & T. Gray, Montrose. 104
Perth (1) 1809 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1830 sold to W. Chapman, Dundee. 43
Perth (2) 1816 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1837 sold to G. Cameron, Dundee. 132
Queen (1) 1842 schooner, 1857 taken over with Dundee & Hull Shipping Co., 8th Feb.1861 wrecked in gale on Whitby Sands, Yorkshire. 115
Roe 1835 sloop, 1849 sold to P. Ritchie, Dundee. 62
Rose (2) 1828 sloop, 1849 sold to Rollo & White, Dundee. 88
Solicitor 1849 schooner, 1852 purchased from C. R. Calman, London, 1856 sold to Ellerby & Co., Hull. 146
Sovereign 1828 smack, 1853 sold to G. Brewer, Dundee. 159
Star 1831 sloop, 1849 sold to Allan & Moir, Banff. 64
Swan 1830 sloop, 1868 sold to A. Law, Dundee. 62
Swift 1838 sloop, 1849 sold to P. Gibson, Fort William. 75
Tay (1) 1807 sloop, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1830 sold to John Beatton, Dundee. 55
Tay (3) 1830 sloop, 1868 sold to R. Mudie, Dundee. 68
Tid 1800 schooner, 1829 purchased from G. Clark, Dundee, 1835 ashore on Elbe Sands, River Tay but refloated, 1836 sold to T. Adamson, Dundee. 80
Union 1807 smack, 1826 taken over from Dundee & Perth Shipping Co., 1834 sold to W & E. Kendall, Gloucester re-rigged as schooner. 113
Victoria 1849 schooner, 1863 sold to B. Mason, Hull. 194
Zenobia 1847 schooner, 1861 sold to A. Hunter, London. 190
    Steamships and Motor Vessels  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Anglia 1863 1871 rebuilt to 827 tons, 1883 sold to George Gibson & Co., Leith. 664
Angusbrae 1943 ex- Hawkinge, 1951 purchased from Constants Ltd, London renamed Angusbrae, 1956 sold to W. H. Muller, Rotterdam renamed Hispania. 2,905
Angusburn 1942 ex- Empire Bard, 1946 purchased from MOWT renamed Angusburn, 1954 sold to Brebbner Shipping Co., London renamed Brettenhamn. 2,851
Angusmuir 1928 ex- Clunepark, 1948 purchased from J & J. Denholm, Greenock renamed Angusmuir, 1954 sold to Costa Rica renamed Aguila. 3,535
Aniline 1889 lighter, 1924 purchased from J. Ross & Co, Falkirk, 1942 sold to Aldridges Wharf Ltd, Hull. 49
Arbroath (1)   see Perth (4).  
Arbroath (2) 1909 ex- Alexandra, 1920 war prize from Riga-Lubeck Line, Lubeck, renamed Arbroath,1922 sold to South Shipping Co., Quebec renamed Gaspesia, 1928 sold to Clarke SS Co., Quebec., 1946 renamed North Voyageur. 1,014
Arbroath (3) 1935 1962 sold to J. Tyrrell, Dublin renamed Valzell. 553
Atlas 1865 iron paddle tug, 1873 sold to Edwards & Anderson, Dundee. 96
Benvie 1905 tug, ex- Flying Swallow, 1946 purchased from Clyde Shipping Co., Glasgow renamed Benvie, 1953 scrapped. 185
Britannia 1877 1889 sold to George Gibson & Co., Leith. 938
Broughty (1) 1921 1951 sold to J & A. Gardner Ltd, Glasgow renamed St. Ronaig. 504
Broughty (2) 1955 1962 sold to Channel Shipping Ltd, Jersey. 553
Buddon 1908 tug, ex- Flying Cormorant, 1946 purchased from Clyde Shipping Co., Glasgow renamed Buddon, 1953 scrapped. 203
Cambria 1868 1873 rebuilt to 944 tons, 1891 beached near Great Yarmouth after collision with s/s Killingworth and abandoned. 729
Carbon 1904 1920 renamed Fair City, 1946 laid up at Dundee, 1947 sold to Tay Sand Co., Dundee renamed Tayfirth. 131
Caroline n/a wooden ship, built as sailing vessel but 1890 purchased from Gunn & Kidd, Dundee and converted to steamer, 1904 scrapped. 121
Clova 1935 ex- Andoni, 1936 purchased from T. Evans & Co., London renamed Clova, 1954 sold to Lockett Wilson Line, London renamed Clichy. 310
Cortachy 1934 ex- Arrivain, 1939 purchased from D. Williamson Ltd, London renamed Cortachy, 1953 sold to Lockett Wilson Ltd, Jersey, 1955 renamed Concorde. 271
Crombie 1934 ex- Affaric, 1939 purchased from D. Williamson, London renamed Crombie, 1954 sold to Lockett Wilson Line, Jersey. 239
Dron 1936 ex- Conida, 1945 purchased from Steamship Den of Airlie Co. Ltd renamed Dron, 1950 sold to Wharton Shipping Ltd, Goole renamed Jackonia. 413
Dundee (2) 1834 wooden paddle steamer, 1864 sold to France renamed Nettuno. 638
Dundee (3) 1883 1885 sold to Italian Government renamed Volta. 1,565
Dundee (4) 1885 3rd Dec.1909 beached in River Medway after collision with s/s Thames, later slipped off into deep water and capsized. 1910 raised and scrapped. 1,305
Dundee (5) 1911 1915 commissioned as Armed Boarding Steamer with 10th Cruiser Squadron, 3rd Sep.1917 torpedoed and sunk by UC.19 in English Channel ; loss of 8 lives. 2,187
Dundee (6) 1919 laid down as War Wensum, completed as Dundee, 1933 sold to Mossgiel SS Co., Glasgow renamed Alcora. 1,381
Dundee (7) 1934 1943 requisitioned as convoy rescue ship, 1945 returned to owners, 1948 sold to British & Continental SS Co., Liverpool renamed Dotterel. 1,541
Dundee (8) 1954 1967 sold to Israel renamed Doron. 1,781
Eagle 1858 1871 sold to Barr & Fawcett, Leith. 318
Edina 1939 1946 purchased from Currie Line, Leith, 1948 renamed Gowrie, 1958 sold to W.. McTaggart, Grand Cayman renamed Fordmac. 489
Errol (1) 1920 ex- Evelyn Manor, 1932 purchased from J.Alison, Dundee renamed Errol, 30th Jul.1935 sunk in collision with s/s Cairnesk near Inchkeith. 396
Errol (2) 1936 ex- Kestor, 1939 purchased from H. Harrison, London renamed Errol, 1955 sold to Channel Shipping Ltd, Jersey, 1958 renamed Grouville. 311
Fair City   see Carbon.  
Gala 1939 1940 rebuilt to 99 tons, 1962 sold to Ellerman Wilson Line, Hull. 86
Gallia 1865 1868 sold to H. C. Moss, London renamed Victoria. 441
Gannochy 1937 ex- Springhaven, 1947 purchased from Springfjord Shipping Co., London renamed Gannochy, 25th Feb.1958 sank in Mersey Channel. 485
Glamis 1936 1961 sold to Georgeopoulos, Piraeus renamed Romylia. 555
Gowrie (1) 1909 10th Oct.1917 torpedoed and sunk by U.53 off Cherbourg. 1,031
Gowrie (2) 1909 ex- Haller, 1919 purchased from G. R. Haller Ltd, Hull renamed Gowrie, 9th Jan.1940 sunk by German air attack off Stonehaven. 689
Gowrie (3) 1941 ex- Empire Cape, 1944 managed for MOWT, 1945 purchased from MOWT renamed Gowrie, 1948 renamed Lochee, 1966 sold to Zoulis & Vlachos, Piraeus. 872
Gowrie (4)   see Edina.  
Gowrie (5) 1944 ex- Highland, 1959 purchased from Currie Line, Leith renamed Gowrie, 1963 sold to Greece renamed Hermanos. 1,876
Hamburg 1857 1863 sold to General Steam Nav. Co., London. 385
Hercules (1) 1849 wooden paddle tug, 1853 sold to John Oswald, Melbourne. 97
Hercules (2) 1853 wooden paddle tug, 1865 sold to D. Edwards, Dundee. 62
Hibernia 1865 30th Jan.1876 stranded on Farne Islands, Northumberland, refloated but grounded Holy Island and broke in two. 658
Hull   see London (4).  
Kildrummy 1924 1937 taken over with Aberdeen, Newcastle & Hull Shipping Co., Aberdeen, 1946 transferred to Coquet Shipping Co., Newcastle renamed Coquetdale. 629
Kingennie 1958 1967 sold to Cambridge (Tankers) Ltd, London. 1,169
Kirkaline 1918 lighter, 1924 purchased from Smiths Dock Ltd, Middlesbrough, 1941 sold to F. Oldridge, Bilton. 152
Lady Gwendolen 1911 1918 purchased from British & Irish S.P. Co., Dublin, 1919 sold to C. T. Bowring, Liverpool renamed Rosalind. 2,163
Lochee (1) 1918 1936 sold to Dorey & Sons Ltd, Guernsey renamed Portelet. 1,064
Lochee (2) 1937 1948 renamed Perth, 1953 rebuilt to 1,321 tons, 1963 sold to Marcantonalis, Piraeus renamed Manthos. 994
Lochee (3)   see Gowrie (3).  
London (2) 1837 wooden paddle steamer, 1853 sold to Sydney & Melbourne S.P. Co., Melbourne. 687
London (3) 1854 1854 sold to Barker & Ford, London. 512
London (4) 1856 London (4) 1856 622 tons, 18th Nov.1865 sank after collision with s/s Harvest Queen in River Tay, 1866 salvaged and repaired, 1872 rebuilt to 763 tons, 1892 renamed Hull, 20th Jan.1897 beached off Tayport, Fife after collision with s/s Alice Taylor, 1909 scrapped. 622
London (5) 1892 23rd Jun.1918 torpedoed and sunk by U.88 off Whitby. 1,706
London (6) 1921 1939 requisitioned by The Admiralty as Examination vessel renamed Holdfast, 1942 converted to pipe laying vessel for Operation Pluto, 1946 sold to Ministry of Transport renamed Empire Taw. 1,491
London (7) 1951 1964 sold to Winsor Trading Co., St. John's NF renamed Winsor Trader. 706
Louga 1898 1919 purchased from T. Cowan, Grangemouth, 1937 sold to Lithuania renamed Nida. 945
Lunan 1946 1959 sold to Orleans Navigation Inc, Quebec in damaged condition after grounding and fire, renamed Maridan C. 1,018
Mars 1848 3rd May 1851 struck rock and sank near Crail, Fife. 89
Neptune 1848 1851 rebuilt to 111 tons, 1854 sold to G. lison, Dundee, converted to schooner. 89
North Inch 1904 ex- Garmoyle, 1919 purchased from Henry & MacGregor Ltd, Leith renamed North Inch, 1921 sold to McPhail, Glasgow renamed Stronshira. 100
North Sea 1881 1896 sold to North Sea SS Co., Dundee, wrecked the same year. 1,117
Perth (3) 1834 wooden paddle steamer, 1861 sold to General Steam Nav. Co., London. 635
Perth (4) 1890 1915 renamed Arbroath, 1917 requisitioned by The Admiralty as transport, 1919 returned to owners, 1920 sold to British & South American S.N. Co. (Houston Line), Liverpool renamed Hellopes. 1,729
Perth (5) 1915 1915 commissioned as Armed Boarding Steamer based in Red Sea, 1919 returned to owners, 1940 requisitioned and used as convoy rescue ship, 1945 returned to owners, 1946 sold to Falkland Islands Co., London renamed Lafonia. 2,208
Perth (6)   see Lochee (2).  
Queen (2) 1854 1857 taken over with Dundee & Hull Shipping Co., 1876 sold to W. B. Thompson, Dundee. 294
Red Sea 1889 1892 sold to Booth SS Co., Liverpool renamed Hilary. 1,930
Rosyth (1) 1903 1919 purchased from Wear Steam Shipping Co., Sunderland, 1934 sold to W. J. Ireland, Liverpool renamed Quickthorn. 409
Rosyth (2)   see Yendis.  
Samson 1857 iron paddle tug, 1869 sold to A. Edwards, Dundee. 82
Scotia (1) 1861 1862 sold to Italy renamed Adriatico. 655
Scotia (2) 1862 1869 rebuilt to 802 tons, 3rd Aug.1870 sunk in collision with s/s Magna Charta off Gotland, Sweden. 658
Scotia (3) 1875 1880 sold to France renamed Finistere. 453
Sir William Wallace 1830 wooden paddle tug, 1842 converted to lighter, 1851 scrapped. 70
Tay & Tyne 1909 1917 taken over with Dundee & Newcastle SS Co., 1917 sold to The Admiralty for use as a 'Q' ship. 556
W 1891 lighter, 1930 purchased from Charles Wood, Leith, 1930 sold to J. White, North Queensferry. 73
White Sea 1881 1896 sold to Palgrave, Murphy & Co., Dublin renamed City of Cologne. 1,119
Yendis 1911 1930 purchased from Spillers Ltd, Hull, 1935 renamed Rosyth, 1949 sold to G. T. MacLennan, Dundee renamed David P. 132
    Managed Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Babylon 1896 ex- German vessel owned by Deutsche Levante Linie, 1920 managed for the Shipping Controller, London, 1920 sold to Greek Government. 1,596
Empire Cape   see Gowrie (3).  
Empire Conisborough 1937 ex- Marie Fisser, 1945 war prize from Fisser & Von Doornum, Emden renamed Empire Conisborough and managed for MOWT, 1946 allocated to USSR renamed Stepan Shaumian. 1,237
Empire Garland 1944 ex- Njong, 1945 war prize from Deutsche Ost-Afrika Linie, Hamburg renamed Empire Garland and managed for MOWT, 1947 sold to General Steam Nav. Co. renamed Sheldrake. 1,925
Goole 1891 1940 managed for V. A. Cappon, Dundee, 1946 scrapped. 149
Lilleaa 1922 1940 taken over from D/S Hetland A/S, Copenhagen managed for MOWT, 1945 returned to Danish Government. 936
Mentor 1883 1940 managed for V. A. Cappon, Dundee, 1946 scrapped. 141
Rom 1905 ex- German owned by R. M. Sloman, Hamburg, 1920 managed for the Shipping Controller, London, 1920 sold to Cormack & Co., Leith renamed Arniston. 2,080

Source: DP & L by Graeme Somner.

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: June 03, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli