FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Furness Withy & Company

In 1878 Thomas and Christopher Furness commenced shipowning, in 1883 Christopher Furness purchased an interest in the shipyard of Edward Withy and in 1884 bought the company outright. In 1885 Christopher Furness collaborated with Thomas Wilson to form the Wilson-Furness Line to operate services between Newcastle and New York. By 1891 the fleet contained 18 ships and Furness, Withy & Co was founded. The first subsidiary company was formed in 1892 as the Chesapeake & Ohio SS Co., Ltd and a joint service to Boston was started with Frederick Leyland & Co. In 1896 theFurness Line Wilsons & Furness-Leyland Line was formed. A new firm, Manchester Liners Ltd was formed in 1898 and the rights of the Canadian & Newfoundland SS Co, were acquired the same year. The Wilsons & Furness-Leyland Line with their London - New York service was sold in 1901 to the International Mercantile Marine Co., but in 1902 Furness, Withy purchased Gulf Line Ltd with their trade to South Africa and Australia. Management of Neptune S.N. Co. was taken over in 1906 and the fleet was purchased in 1910. The same year, Agincourt SS Co. and Norfolk & North American S.N. Co. were acquired. In 1911 a 50% holding in Houlder Bros & Co. was purchased plus the coastal London Welsh SS Co. 1912 saw the purchase of George Warren's White Diamond SS Co. and a new company, George Warren & Co. (Liverpool) Ltd was formed. A half share in Johnston Line was purchased in 1914 and in 1916 Prince Line Ltd. was bought. By this time the Furness, Withy group owned 215 ships.
Rio Cape Line was formed in 1917 and Bermuda and West Indies SS Co. in 1921. In 1922 Warren Line Ltd. was formed and London Welsh Co. was sold to Coast Lines Ltd. 1928 saw a share in Cairn Line purchased and in 1929 Gulf Line was placed in voluntary liquidation and their ships transferred to Bermuda & West Indies SS Co. The same year Bowring's Red Cross Line was taken over.
On the collapse of the Kylsant shipping empire, Furness, Withy obtained control of Shaw, Savill & Albion Line in 1933 and in 1934 Johnston-Warren Line was formed with the amalgamation of Johnston, Warren and Neptune S.N. Co. A substantial holding in Royal Mail Lines was obtained in 1937 (the remaining shares were purchased in 1965) and in 1939 the management of Bowater SS Co was taken over. Full control of Houlder Bros was obtained in 1968 and Kaye, Son & Co acquired in 1973. Furness, Withy & Co was sold to C. Y. Tung, Hong Kong in 1980 but the new owners gradually disposed of the ships and in 1990, the Tung group sold Furness, Withy (Shipping) Ltd to Rudolf A. Oetker who controlled Hamburg South America Line. In 1998 the name of the firm reverted to Furness, Withy & Co, Ltd and still remained operational in 1999.

Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Routes:

  • 1878-1929 West Hartlepool - Boston / New York.
  • 1882-1914 West Hartlepool / London - New York
  •                    London - Halifax - New York
  • 1884-1888 Stockholm / Gothenburg - West Hartlepool - New York.
  • 1890-1928 Collier services to London
  • 1919-1970 Panama Canal route to North Pacific ports.
  • 1919-1970 London - USA ports.
  • 1932-1966 New York - Bermuda.

These ships were owned and managed by the parent company. Subsidiary companies are listed seperately.

Funnel:
1870-1912 Black
1912-1920 Black with blue band containing white F
1920-1999 Black with a narrow red band over broad red band.

Fleet:

1870-1912
1912-1920
1920-1999
    Sailing Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Astley 1839 brig, 1868 part owned with Robert Hutchison, 1875 wholly owned, 1880 wrecked near Cullercoats. 206
Williams 1812 snow, 1869 purchased, 1882 scrapped. 184
    Steam Ships  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Abana 1894 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1912 sold to Japan renamed Tamon Maru 15. 4,177
Acara 1904 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1911 transferred to Dutch subsidiary renamed Gramsbergen, 1914 sold to Holland America Line renamed Waaldijk. 4,982
Adana 1897 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1910 sold to Greece renamed Miltiades Embiricos. 3,448
Alaska 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1921 returned to owners. 5,681
Albergen   see Saltburn.  
Albert 1856 1895 purchased from G. Lawson, Hull, 1897 sold to E. W. Sollas, Hull. 525
Alboin 1889 1890 sold to Borneo Co, London. 998
Alleghany 1922 1922 completed for Warren Line, 1923 transferred to Rio Cape Line renamed Castilian Prince. 3,489
Allendale 1917 1918 sunk by U-Boat off the Lizard. 2,153
Almeriana 1899 ex- Catania , 1906 purchased from Sloman Line, Hamburg renamed Almeriana, 1914 scrapped. 2,826
Amana 1895 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1911 abandoned and sank in Atlantic. 3,412
Anapa 1896 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1912 sold to Japan renamed Tenzan Maru. 3,524
Andes 1984 1994 renamed CGM Magellan, 1998 renamed Cap Blanco for Hamburg South America Line. 32,150
Annapolis (1) 1899 ex- Capri , 1906 purchased from Sloman Line, Hamburg renamed Annapolis, 1907 sold to France renamed Mangoro. 2,054
Annapolis (2) 1911 ex- Lord Lonsdale , 1915 purchased from S.S. Lord Kelvin renamed Annapolis, 1917 sank off Eagle Island after being torpedoed the previous day. 4,567
Antwerp City 1894 1899 sold to Russia renamed Lilja. 3,229
Appenine 1909 1909 transferred to Gulf Line Ltd, 1919 wrecked in fog at St. John's NF. 3,684
Appomattox 1922 1922 completed for Warren Line, 1924 transferred to Rio Cape Line renamed Sardinian Prince. 3,491
Arabiana 1907 1912 sold to Belgium renamed Trevier. 3,001
Arthur Hoyt Scott 1940 1941 managed for MOWT, 1943 hulked at Trincomalee by Royal Navy after engine failure. 2,230
Asama 1897 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1913 sold to Japan renamed Asama Maru. 4,217
Asiana 1909 1910 sold to R. Holman, London renamed Rowtor. 2,993
Asp 1918 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1922 sold to France renamed Francisca. 2,234
Australia 1870 1892 purchased from Anchor Line, 1894 scrapped. 2,252
Avala 1890 1909 purchased from J. Wood, Liverpool, 1913 sold to Italy. 3,571
Averill 1878 1883 wrecked Cape Breton. 1,549
Axwell 1909 1912 sold to Broomhill Collieries, Newcastle. 1,442
Ayangue 1968 ex- Valle Aurora , 1993 purchased from Italy renamed Ayangue, 1999 still in service. 3,194
Balaclava 1906 1912 taken over with Agincourt SS Co and chartered to Lamport & Holt, 1914 returned to Furness Withy, renamed Tunisiana, 1915 torpedoed off Lowestoft, beached and broke in two. 4,220
Baltimore City 1888 1897 wrecked in Belle Isle Strait with no loss of life. 2,334
Barcelona 1878 1898 purchased from Halifax S.N. Co, Halifax, N.S. 1899 scrapped. 1,802
Baron Hambro 1861 1887 purchased, 1889 sold to Edwin Jenkins, Cardiff. 579
Bavarian 1869 1894 purchased from J. Glynn & Sons, Liverpool, 1895 scrapped. 3,111
Beaumaris 1917 1918 torpedoed and sunk off the Longships. 2,372
Bedale 1914 1917 torpedoed and sunk off Mine Head. 2,107
Beekbergen   see Langdale.  
Blanche 1863 1889 purchased from Weatherby, Mead & Hussey, London, 1892 sold to Osborn & Wallia, Bristol. 234
Boston City 1882 1897 sold to Blohn & Ohlsen, Fredrikshavn renamed Norman. 2,344
Brantford City 1880 1883 wrecked Little Harbor, Nova Scotia. 1,874
Braziliana 1907 1914 sold to Sutherland & Co., Newcastle renamed Forfar. 3,825
British Crown 1879 1887 chartered from British Shipowners Ltd for 3 voyages. 3,563
British Queen 1880 1887-1888 chartered from British Shipowners Ltd. 3,558
Buccaneer 1890 1902 purchased from Tatham & Bromage, London, 1924 sold to C. Chase, West Hartlepool renamed Agathe. 925
Bulgarian 1870 1894 purchased from J. Glynn & Sons, Liverpool, 1895 scrapped.
3,112
Bushmills 1890 1890 sold to J. Weatherill, Dublin. 2,466
Canadia 1889 1908 purchased from HAPAG, 1909 sold to Anglo-Hellenic Shipping Co renamed Myrtoon. 2,413
Carlisle 1889 1899 sold to Salvesen & Co, Leith. 1,035
Carlisle City 1894 1903 sold to Elders & Fyffes renamed Oracabessa. 3,002
Castle Eden (1) 1908 1913 sold to H. Hogarth, Glasgow renamed Baron Blantyre. 1,844
Castle Eden (2) 1914 1918 torpedoed and sunk off Inistrahull. 1,949
Cenisio 1867 1890 purchased from F. Stumore, London, 1891 sold to Portugal renamed Elisa. 1,431
Chanticleer 1853 1899 purchased and went missing in North Sea. 539
Charleston 1908 1917 captured and sunk by UB 65. 1,880
Chaseside 1900 ex- Indradevi , 1911 purchased from Thos. Royden, Liverpool, renamed Chaseside, 1912 transferred to Houlder Bros renamed El Cordobes. 5,683
Chicago 1878 1878 wrecked Haisboro' Sands, Norfolk on maiden voyage. 1,384
Chickahominy   see Persiana.  
Clive 1871 1896-1897 chartered from Gastaldi & Co., Genoa, 1898 scrapped (see Dominion Line - Lord Clive) 3,386
Collingwood 1905 1926 sold to Norway renamed Jernland. 1,276
Columbia   see Scandinavia.  
Constance 1892 1893 sold to Houlder Bros, renamed Elstree Grange. 3,930
Conway 1901 1916 purchased from Connor & Co., West Hartlepool, 1916 sunk by U-Boat off Cabo de Palos. 4,003
Cornwall 1907 1908 renamed Norton, 1922 sold to A. Bernstein, Hamburg renamed Johanna. 1,825
Corunna 1906 1912 taken over with Agincourt SS Co. and chartered to Lamport & Holt, 1914 transferred to Furness Withy Dutch subsidiary renamed Tenbergen, 1916 wrecked Finisterre. 3,826
Coventry 1883 1895 purchased from Sievewright, Bacon & Co., West Hartlepool, 1895 sold to Gentles & Co., Shields. 1,702
Cramlington 1907 1908 sunk in collision off the Humber. 1,821
Cresswell 1917 1918 torpedoed off Kish Lightship and beached - total loss. 2,829
Croxdale 1906 1926 sold to J. Rang, Tallinn renamed Uranus. 1,295
Cundall (1) 1894 1900 sold to Spain renamed Ogono. 2,416
Cundall (2) 1908 1922 transferred to Johnston Line renamed Willowmore, 1922 sold to Latvia renamed Venta. 1,850
Cynthiana (1) 1922 1922 renamed Hoosac, 1922 renamed London Corporation, 1925 transferred to Johnston-Warren Line, 1928 reverted to Furness Withy, 1937 sold to Greece renamed Maironga J. Goulandris. 6,629
Cynthiana (2) 1924 ex- Silurian , 1927 purchased from Golden Cross Line, Cardiff renamed Cynthiana, 1928 wrecked in Gulf of Panama. 6,903
Dagenham 1907 1909 wrecked in fog on Guernsey. 1,466
Dahome 1890 1898 purchased from Cie. de Nav. Mixte, 1910 sold to Turkey renamed Kaisseri. 2,487
Daltonhall 1899 1900 purchased from West Hartlepool S.N. Co., 1916 sold to Commonwealth Government Line of Steamers, Sydney, N.S.W. renamed Australstream. 3,528
Damara 1885 1886 taken over with Halifax S.N. Co, 1905 sprang a leak and sank off Musquodoboit, N.S. 1,779
Darwin 1977 ex- Gas Enterprise , 1992 purchased from Barclays Industrial Finance renamed Darwin, 1999 still in service. 43,733
Dhu Heartach 1868 tender, 1885 purchased from H. Hall, Fleetwood, 1890 sold to Buchanan & Hogg, Glasgow renamed Startforth. 149
Digby 1913 used on Warren Line's Canada service, 1914-1918 Admiralty requisition, 1918 returned to Furness Withy, 1925 transferred to Bermuda & West Indies SS Co. renamed Dominica, 1935 sold to United Baltic Corp., renamed Baltrover. 3,966
Dominica   see Digby.  
Duart Castle 1878 1891 purchased from Castle Mail SS Co., 1891 sold to Pickfords & Black, Halifax, N.S.
1,825
Durango 1895 1906 taken over with Neptune S.N. Co., 1917 shelled and sunk by U-Boat off Hebrides. 3,008
Durham City 1882 1897 scrapped. 3,092
Easington 1907 1915 went missing on passage Sydney, Cape Breton to St. John, NB. 1,387
Eavestone 1912 1917 shelled and sunk by U-Boat off Fastnet. 1,858
Edenmore 1958 1975 sold to Panama renamed Welcome. 10,792
Edith 1864 1895 purchased from G. Lawson, Hull, 1895 sunk in collision in Thames. 609
El Nil 1920 1940 chartered from Egypt by British Government, 1943 converted to Hospital Ship, managed for MOWT, 1951 sold to Pan-Islamic SS Co., Karachi renamed Safina-e-Murad. 7,690
Eldon 1923 1928 sold to Germany renamed Japix. 2,867
Empire Anvil 1943 1943 managed for MOWT, 1944 taken over by Admiralty renamed HMS Rocksand, 1946 reverted to Empire Anvil, 1947 returned to USA renamed Cape Argos. 7,177
Empire Commerce 1928 ex- Christoph van Doorman, 1940 seized from Germany, managed for MOWT, 1940 mined and sunk off Margate. 3,845
Empire Cutlass 1943 1943 managed for MOWT, 1945 taken over by Admiralty renamed HMS Sansovino, 1946 reverted to Empire Cutlass, 1947 returned to USA renamed Cape Compass. 7,177
Empire Halberd 1943 1943 managed for MOWT, 1944 taken over by Admiralty renamed HMS Silvio, 1945 reverted to Empire Halberd, 1948 returned to USA renamed Cape Gregory. 7,177
Empire Marshall 1945 1945 managed for MOWT, 1947 sold to Pandelis Shipping Co. 7,836
Empire Nerissa 1942 1943 managed for MOWT, 1949 to Claymore Shipping Co, Glasgow renamed Daydawn. 7,076
Empire Rapier 1943 1943 managed for MOWT, 1948 returned to USA renamed Cape Turner. 7,177
Empire Stanley 1941 1941 managed for MOWT, 1943 torpedoed and sunk in Indian Ocean. 6,900
Empire Transport   see Savannah (1)  
Empire Welland 1938 ex- Patria (HAPAG), 1945 ceded to Britain renamed Empire Welland, managed for MOWT, 1946 handed to USSR renamed Rossia. 17,870
Erika 1906 1915 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 returned to owners. 2,666
Evangeline (1) 1900 1902 sold to Lamport & Holt renamed Tennyson. 3,901
Evangeline (2) 1881 ex- Clan Mackinnon , 1902 purchased from Clan Line renamed Evangeline, 1911 sold to Greece renamed Pelagos. 2,268
Faraday 1873 1906 purchased from Tyne-Tees Shipping Co., 1909 scrapped. 892
Feliciana (1) 1909 1909 sold to J. Hoult, Liverpool renamed Benbridge. 3,109
Feliciana (2) 1909 1911 transferred to Gulf Line, 1915 sold to Sale & Co., London. 4,277
Feliciana (3) 1922 1922 transferred to Gulf Line renamed London Mariner, 1928 to Prince Line renamed Imperial Prince. 7,896
Fernandina 1908 1922 sold to A. Bernstein, Hamburg renamed Falkenstein. 1,851
Fire Queen 1864 1888 purchased from R. Beveridge, London, 1890 sold to France renamed Ferdinand A. 1,208
Flodden 1907 1912 taken over with Agincourt SS Co. and chartered to Lamport & Holt, 1914 transferred to Furness Withy Dutch subsidiary renamed Vrijbergen, 1915 sold to Holland America Line renamed Poeldijk. 4,211
Florence 1889 1900 purchased from Houlder Bros, London, 1912 wrecked at St. Mary's Bay, N.S. 2,492
Fort Amherst 1936 1951 became Fleet supply ship HMS Amherst. 3,489
Fort Avalon 1949 1960 sold to Lebanon renamed Azur Med. 3,484
Fort Townshend 1936 1952 sold to Saudi Arabia renamed Al Amir Said. 3,489
France 1867 1896 purchased from National Line, Liverpool, 1896 scrapped. 4,281
Fred W. Green 1918 1941 managed for MOWT, 1942 torpedoed and sunk off Ireland. 2,292
Gloriana 1905 1912 sold to Mercantile & Shipping Co., London renamed Remier.
3,051
Godwit 1891 1896 purchased from General Steam Nav. Co., 1897 sold to Norway renamed Tryg. 1,682
Gothenburg City 1884 1891 wrecked near Blyth, Northumberland. 2,529
Gowerian 1921 1922 purchased from Cymric Shipping Co., Cardiff, 1923 sold to Gardiner & Co., Glasgow renamed Kinnaird Head. 449
Graciana (1) 1907 1908 sold to Belgium renamed Ministre Beernaert. 4,215
Graciana (2) 1903 ex- Sierra Morena , 1912 purchased from Thompson, Anderson & Co., Liverpool renamed Graciana, 1924 sold to Greece renamed Andreas. 3,563
Gramsbergen   see Acara.  
Grantley 1908 1922 sold to H. Harrison, London renamed Kennington. 1,869
Gurly 1891 1898 purchased from J. Christensen, Bergen, 1898 sold renamed Juno. 850
Halifax City (1) 1890 1891 sold to E. Caiger & Co, London renamed Kestor. 2,289
Halifax City (2) 1894 1900 sold to La Veloce, renamed Etruria. 2,141
Halifax City (3) 1895 ex- Hoboken , 1906 purchased from J. Cockerill renamed Halifax City, 1910 sold to Greece renamed Syracusa. 2,464
Harlingen 1909 1912 transferred to subsidiary company G. Turnbull renamed Peter Pan, 1922 sold to Sweden renamed Sirius. 938
Haslemere 1917 1920 sold to Fearnley & Eger, Oslo renamed Holmedal. 2,126
Heather Belle 1896 1898 sold to Norway renamed Verma. 1,253
Helikon 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 returned to owners. 2,232
Hermelin 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 returned to owners. 2,232
Historian 1870 1891 purchased from T & J. Harrison, Liverpool, 1891 sold to Portugal renamed Cidade do Porto. 1,836
Hochelaga 1912 1917 sold to Dominion Coal Co., Montreal. 4,687
Holguin 1891 1898 purchased from J. Christensen, Bergen, 1898 sold renamed Hebe. 842
Hoosac   see Cynthiana (1)  
Howden 1909 1913 transferred to Tyne-Tees Shipping Co. 1,020
Inchborva 1881 1891 purchased from Hamilton, Fraser & Co, Liverpool, 1892 sold to Mentor trading Co, Liverpool. 2,301
Inchgarvie 1882 1891 purchased from Hamilton, Fraser & Co, Liverpool, 1892 sold to Northumbrian Shipping Co, Newcastle. 2,614
Inchulva 1881 1891 purchased from Hamilton, Fraser & Co, Liverpool, 1894 sold to J. E. Guthe & Co, West Hartlepool. 2,229
India Victory 1944 1946 managed for MOWT, 1947 sold to Holland America Line renamed Arnedijk. 7,642
Istrian 1867 1894 purchased from J. Glynn & Sons, Liverpool, 1895 scrapped. 2,930
Jessmore   see Peruviana (2)  
Katie 1880 1885 purchased from C. Schultz, Hamburg, 1890 sold to Gunn & Co., Glasgow renamed Dunkeld. 2,796
Keighley 1917 1920 sold to Fearnley & Eger, Oslo renamed Graziella. 2,150
Kirkstall 1895 1896 sold to J. E. Guthe, West Hartlepool. 1,831
Langdale 1903 1909 purchased from Laing SS Co., Sunderland, 1910 transferred to Dutch subsidiary renamed Beekbergen, 1916 sold to Royal Holland Lloyd, Amsterdam renamed Gaasterland. 3,917
Lexington 1906 ex- Invertay , 1915 purchased from Law, Leslie & Co., London renamed Lexington, 1924 sold to Watts, Watts & Co., London renamed Denham. 3,974
Lincoln City 1884 1885 sold to Wilson Line, Hull renamed Chicago. 2,729
Lingan 1912 1917 sold to Dominion Coal Co., Montreal. 4,677
Lizzie 1900 1901 sold to G. B. Wadsworth, West Hartlepool. 631
London City (1) 1891 ex- Guinee , 1898 purchased from Cie. de Nav. Mixte renamed London City, 1900 sold to Japan renamed Taihoku Maru. 2,487
London City (2) 1882 ex- Clan Forbes , 1903 purchased from Clan Line renamed London City, 1910 sold to Denaby & Cadeby, West Hartlepool. 2,461
London Commerce 1923 1928 transferred to Prince Line renamed Royal Prince. 7,886
London Corporation   see Cynthiana (2)  
London Exchange   see Parisiana (3)  
London Importer 1923 1933 sold to The Admiralty renamed HMS Reliant - supply depot ship. 7,938
London Mariner   see Feliciana (3)  
London Merchant 1923 1935 sold to T & J. Harrison, Liverpool renamed Politician (of film "Whisky Galore" fame) 7,939
London Shipper 1923 1928 transferred to Prince Line renamed British Prince. 7,939
Loyalist (1) 1901 1902 sold to Lamport & Holt renamed Byron. 3,909
Loyalist (2) 1891 ex- Clan Macalister , 1902 purchased from Clan Line renamed Loyalist, 1904 wrecked Trepassey Bay, NF. 2,265
Ludworth 1907 1919 sold to Holland renamed Helena. 1,301
Madrid 1873 1891 purchased from W. S. Bailey, Hull, 1894 sold to Morgan & Co., Cardiff. 2,439
Madura 1873 1887 purchased from Java Stoom. Maats, Amsterdam, 1895 sank on voyage Hamburg - Jamaica 2,324
Malinche 1906 1913 sold to J. Gaff & Co., Glasgow. 1,868
Manaqui 1921 1937 purchased from United Fruit Co., 1940 torpedoed and sunk off Barbados. 2,802
Mandalay 1872 1890 purchased from Raeburn & Verel, Glasgow, 1893 sold to J. Stewart & Co, Glasgow renamed Louisina. 1,907
Manningham 1880 1896 purchased from V. T. Thompson, Liverpool, 1896 sold to Sweden. 1,924
Maxton 1912 ex- Start Point , 1915 transferred from Norfolk & North American S.N.Co. renamed Maxton, 1917 sunk by U-Boat off Malin Head. 3,840
Medina 1867 ex- Prince Mohamed Tewfik , 1888 purchased from Egyptian Sulphur Co. renamed Medina, 1889 sold to Norway renamed Birgit. 310
Messina 1911 1912 transferred to Gulf Line, 1919 abandoned and sank in Atlantic. 4,271
Michigan 1881 1889 purchased from Atlantic Transport Line, 1889 sold to R. L. Gilchrist. 2,949
Mistor   see Tynehead.  
Mobile 1914 1915 captured by U-Boat and sunk off Lewis. 1,950
Monarch 1897 1899 sold to Elder Dempster & Co. 7,296
Monarch of Bermuda 1931 1939 converted to troopship, 1942 converted to Infantry Landing Ship, 1947 badly damaged by fire and sold to Ministry of Transport and rebuilt as emigrant ship New Australia. 22,424
Napoliana 1909 1910 sold to R. Holman, London renamed Armstor. 2,994
Neptune 1911 tug, 1929 purchased from J. Carey, St. John, NB, 1931 sold to Gregory Tug Boat Co, St. John. 118
New Borough 1888 1895 sold to Louisville & Nashville RR Co., Pensacola renamed Pensacola. 1,696
New Oporto 1903 1915 wrecked. 502
Newcastle City 1882 1887 wrecked off Nantucket Island, no loss of life. 2,129
Norton   see Cornwall.  
Nymegen 1889 ex- Johanna Oelssner , 1911 purchased from Gerhard & Hey, Hamburg renamed Nymegen, 1914 sold to Massey & Sons, Hull renamed Greypoint. 894
Ocean Monarch 1951 1967 sold to Bulgaria renamed Varna. 13,654
Oddvar II 1918 1941 managed for MOWT, 1946 returned to Finnish owners. 1,897
Oporto 1870 1892 purchased from Coverley & Westray, London, 1902 scrapped after collision damage. 570
Oregon 1883 1896 purchased from Dominion Line, 1897 scrapped. 3,712
Orion 1873 1888 purchased from Star Nav. Co., Liverpool, 1889 sold to Spain renamed Nicaragua. 2,408
Ortona 1916 1917 torpedoed and sunk off Fastnet. 5,524
Ottawa 1891 1891 wrecked on Seal Island, Bay of Fundy. 1,719
Pachaug Victory 1944 1946 managed for MOWT, 1947 returned to USA. 7,642
Pacific Commerce 1922 ex- Dominion Miller , 1924 transferred from Norfolk & North American S.N. Co. renamed Pacific Commerce, 1936 sold to Ambrose, Davies & Newman, London. 5,089
Pacific Envoy 1958 1967 transferred to Royal Mail Line renamed Loch Ryan (2), 1970 reverted to Furness Withy, renamed Pacific Envoy, 1971 sold to Cyprus renamed Aegis Strength. 9,439
Pacific Fortune 1948 1965 sold to C. Y. Tung renamed Malaysia Fortune. 9,400
Pacific Grove 1928 1943 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic; loss of 11 lives. 7,114
Pacific Importer 1943 ex- Samtredy , 1947 purchased from MOWT renamed Pacific Importer, 1953 sold to Italy renamed Aquitania. 7,219
Pacific Liberty 1943 ex- Samcalia , 1947 purchased from MOWT renamed Pacific Liberty, 1954 sold to Italy renamed Phoebus. 7,219
Pacific Nomad 1943 ex- Samavon , 1947 purchased from MOWT renamed Pacific Nomad, 1954 sold to Liberia renamed Nikolos. 7,219
Pacific Northwest 1954 1971 sold to Panama renamed Aegis Power. 9,442
Pacific Patriot 1983 1986 sold to Portugal renamed D. Francisco de Almeida. 38,408
Pacific Peace 1982 1986 to Ocean Lines, Nassau renamed Atlantic Huron. 38,408
Pacific President 1928 1940 torpedoed and sunk with all hands in Atlantic. 7,114
Pacific Ranger (1) 1929 1940 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic. 6,866
Pacific Ranger (2) 1944 ex- Samdaring , 1947 purchased from MOWT renamed Pacific Ranger, 1952 sold to Panama renamed San Dimitris. 7,219
Pacific Reliance 1951 1971 scrapped. 9,442
Pacific Shipper 1924 1950 scrapped. 6,304
Pacific Stronghold (1) 1945 ex- Tusculum Victory , 1947 purchased from MOWT renamed Pacific Stronghold, 1954 transferred to Prince Line renamed Malayan Prince. 7,640
Pacific Stronghold (2) 1958 1971 sold to Cyprus renamed Aegis Honor. 9,439
Pacific Trader 1924 1938 sold to Norway renamed Braganza. 6,317
Pacific Unity 1948 1964 sold to Liberia renamed Lavrentios. 9,511
Paria 1916 1921 sold to Chambers, Liverpool renamed Wray Castle. 6,086
Parisiana (1) 1909 1910 destroyed by fire in the Indian Ocean. 4,823
Parisiana (2) 1911 ex- Argentine Transport , 1916 transferred from Houlder Bros renamed Parisiana, 1916 torpedoed and sunk off Ushant. 4,763
Parisiana (3) 1921 1922 renamed London Exchange, 1934 transferred to Johnston-Warren Line, 1938 sold to Ben Line (Wm. Thomson) renamed Benrinnes. 5,415
Pensacola 1914 1922 sold to A. Cappel renamed Clapton. 2,092
Persiana 1921 1922 transferred to Warren Line renamed Chickahominy, 1924 transferred to Rio Cape Line renamed Corsican Prince. 3,493
Peruviana (1) 1923 ex- Modum , 1923 purchased from Norway renamed Peruviana, 1924 sold to Argentina renamed Astra II. 4,477
Peruviana (2) 1921 1923 transferred to Johnston Line renamed Jessmore, 1934 amalgamated into Johnston-Warren Lines, 1941 sank after collision with s/s BARON HAIG off Ireland. 4,099
Peter Pan   see Harlingen.  
Plato 1857 1896 purchased from Thos. Wilson, Sons & Co., Hull, 1896 sold to Ellis & Edwards, London. 793
Pleiades 1874 1888 purchased from Star Nav. Co, Liverpool, 1889 sold to Spain renamed Guatemala. 2,285
Pomaron 1907 1922 transferred to Johnston Line for tax reasons renamed Wraymore, immediately resold to Danneberg, Riga renamed Biruta. 1,809
Porsanger 1918 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 returned to owners. 4,267
Portinglis 1908 1922 transferred to Johnston Line renamed Westmore, 1922 sold to Seed Shipping Co, Newcastle renamed Phyllis Seed. 1,867
Prosper 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 returned to owners. 2,232
Queen of Bermuda 1932 1939 converted to Armed Merchant Cruiser, 1943 converted to troopship, 1949 returned to NY - Bermuda service, 1966 scrapped. 22,575
Ravenswood 1977 1982 sold to Liberia renamed South Faith. 6,802
Recovery 1879 tug, 1907 purchased from J. Purcell, Ramsey, 1910 sold to Irvines Shipbuilding Co, West Hartlepool. 206
Rijsbergen   see Swaledale.  
Ringwood 1889 1909 purchased from Wm. Cory & Son, 1910 sold to Turkey renamed Nikea. 905
Ripon 1906 1913 sold to Belgium renamed Fruithandel. 2,965
Ripon City 1883 1896 sold to Italy renamed Silvia. 2,141
Riverina 1977 1982 sold to Sweden renamed Falkon. 6,802
Roebuck 1976 1982 sold to Cyprus renamed South County. 6,802
Rota 1915 1917 torpedoed and sunk off Berry Head. 2,171
Rouen 1909 1928 sold to France renamed Jean de Bethencourt. 1,968
Ryhope 1907 1922 sold to Norway renamed Lysland. 1,334
Sagamore 1957 1975 sold to Italy renamed Capitan Alberto. 10,792
Saint Louis 1870 1887 purchased from Thomas Baker, Cardiff, 1889 sold to Singapore renamed Cheang Chew. 1,862
Saint Ronans 1881 1894 purchased from British & Foreign SS Co., 1898 sold to A. Christensen, Copenhagen renamed Orion. 4,457
Saltburn 1911 1912 transferred to Dutch registry renamed Albergen, 1915 went missing in Atlantic. 1,768
Samconstant 1944 managed for MOWT, 1947 sold to Sea SS Co., Hull renamed Skipsea. 7,219
Samnanger 1918 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 returned to owners. 4,276
Santa Fe 1902 (Hamburg South America Line), 1919 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1922 returned to owners. 5,342
Sarnia 1882 1896 purchased from Dominion Line, 1897 scrapped. 3,728
Sauerland 1918 (ex-HAPAG) 1919 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1921 sold to Federal Line renamed Norfolk. 10,973
Savannah 1909 1910 transferred to Houlder Bros renamed Empire Transport, 1912 sold to Holland America Line renamed Sommelsdijk. 4,849
Scandinavia 1865 1888 purchased from Anchor Line, 1888 renamed Columbia, 1891 sold to J. Meek, West Hartlepool renamed Sirius. 851
Sedbergh 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Norway renamed Bur. 4,343
Slesvig 1938 Danish ship served with Allies after 1940. 1943 managed by Furness Withy, 1946 returned to owners. 3,098
Sorrento 1878 1895 purchased from Thos. Wilson, Sons & Co., Hull, 1895 scrapped. 2,208
Sowwell 1900 1914 purchased from Roth Bros, London, 1914 resold to Galbraith, Pembroke & Co, London. 3,781
Sprite 1870 1898 purchased from B & J. Shaw, Hull, 1899 sold to West Hartlepool S.N. Co. 826
St. John City (1) 1895 1899 sold to La Veloce renamed Piemonte. 2,153
St. John City (2) 1891 ex- Clan Macnab , 1902 purchased from Clan Line renamed St. John City, 1910 sold to Greece renamed Pontos. 2,266
Stamford Victory 1945 1946 managed for MOWT, 1948 to Prince Line renamed British Prince. 7,681
Statesman 1869 1891 purchased from T & J. Harrison, Liverpool, 1891 sold to Portugal renamed Alice. 1,651
Steenbergen   see Wensleydale.  
Stockholm City 1884 1898 sold to Italy renamed Carolina P. 2,686
Straits of Belle Isle 1870 1893 purchased from E. McLean. Glasgow, 1894 sold to Japan renamed Hokuku Maru. 2,698
Sultan 1873 ex- Asia , 1888 purchased from Spain renamed Sultan, 1889 sank off Newfoundland. 2,502
Swaledale 1897 1909 purchased from Laing SS Co., Sunderland, 1911 transferred to Dutch subsidiary renamed Rijsbergen, 1920 sold to C. Goudriaan, Rotterdam renamed Rijnsberg. 3,658
Sylviana 1898 1905 seized by Japan in Russo-Japanese war renamed Goto Maru. 4,187
Tamaqua 1910 ex- Den of Glamis , 1915 purchased from Barrie & Nairn renamed Tamaqua, 1922 sold to Japan renamed Gyokoh Maru. 5,191
Taymouth Castle 1877 1891 purchased from Castle Mail SS Co., 1891 sold to Pickfords & Black, Halifax, N.S. 1,827
Tenbergen   see Corunna.  
Tento 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1922 returned to owner. 2,062
Thimbleby 1907 1915 sold to H. Hogarth, Glasgow renamed Baron Kelvin. 1,865
Thornley 1907 1928 sold to A. Lauro, Naples renamed Penelope. 1,327
Throckley 1923 1928 sold to Germany renamed Melita. 2,866
Toas Victory 1944 1946 managed for MOWT, 1948 sold to Donaldson Line renamed Lismoria. 7,642
Truro City 1889 1890 sold to Norway renamed Normandie. 998
Tudhoe 1906 1913 sold to Sweden renamed Grovemont. 1,286
Tunisiana (1)   see Balaclava.  
Tunisiana (2) 1921 1922 transferred to Prince Line renamed Lancastrian Prince. 3,482
Tunstall 1907 1914 sold to Ambatielos, London. 3,825
Tynedale 1889 1896 sold to J. Holman & Co renamed Furtor. 2,148
Tynehead 1891 1892 renamed Mistor, 1897 sold to J. Holman & Co. 2,258
Ulunda 1885 1886 taken over with Halifax S.N. Co, 1890 sold to Canada & Newfoundland SS Co, 1898 C & N. SS Co. now owned by Bowrings was purchased by Furness Withy, 1910 sold to Embiricos, Greece renamed Elli. 1,789
Vedamore   see Wingate.  
Vega 1879 1890 purchased from T & J. Harrison, Liverpool, 1891 sold to Empresa Insulana, Portugal, 1899 renamed Benguela. 3,063
Venice 1914 1922 transferred to Johnston Line renamed Wigmore, 1926 sold to Norway renamed Mai. 1,874
Vrijbergen   see Flodden.  
War Admiral 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 transferred to Messageries Maritimes renamed Chef Mecanicien Mailhol. 5,875
War Council 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1918 torpedoed and sunk off Cape Matapan. 5,875
War Hero 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1918 transferred to British India S.N. Co. renamed Hatkhola. 5,875
War Horus 1918 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Italy renamed Emma. 2,266
War Khama 1918 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 transferred to France renamed Raymond Poicare. 2,271
War King 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 sold to Dollar SS Co., San Francisco renamed M.S. Dollar. 9,394
War Knight 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1918 grounded Isle of Wight after collision and fire - total loss. 7,951
War Lion 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Elder Dempster & Co. renamed Jebba. 5,875
War Pilot 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 transferred to Elder Dempster & Co. renamed Jekri. 5,875
War Prince 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Messageries Maritimes renamed Commissaire Pierre Lecoq. 5,870
War Queen 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Messageries Maritimes renamed Lieutenant de la Tour. 5,844
War Sailor 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to British India S.N. Co. renamed Hatarana. 7,522
War Soldier 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Union-Castle Mail SS Co. renamed Ripley Castle. 7,521
War Tiger 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1920 transferred to Italy renamed Capodimonte. 5,875
War Witch 1918 1918 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1921 sold to Italy renamed Ignazio. 1,880
War Wolf 1917 1917 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1919 transferred to Messageries Maritimes renamed Commandante Mages. 5,875
Washington City 1885 1894 sold to Norway renamed Fram. 2,296
Waterland 1903 1903 transferred to Dutch registry, 1921 sold to Prince Line renamed Egyptian Prince. 507
Welldeck 1891 1899 sold to Aznar Line, Bilbao renamed Sollube. 2,907
Wendland 1917 (ex-HAPAG) 1919 managed for the Shipping Controller, 1921 sold to Federal Line renamed Cumberland. 11,446
Wensleydale 1903 1909 purchased from Laing SS Co., Sunderland, 1910 transferred to Dutch subsidiary renamed Steenbergen, 1915 sold to Royal Holland Lloyd, Amsterdam renamed Drechterland. 3,963
Westhampton 1907 1909 chartered to Embiricos, Greece renamed Elli, 1911 returned to Furness Withy, renamed Westhampton, 1913 sold to J. Gaff, Glasgow renamed Amphion. 1,860
Westmore   see Portinglis.  
Wetherby 1883 1893 wrecked Cape Hatteras, N.Carolina. 2,129
Whitehall 1897 1897 sold to J. Guthe, West Hartlepool. 2,068
Whorlton 1907 1918 torpedoed and sunk. 1,469
Wigmore   see Venice.  
Willowmore   see Cundall (2)  
Wingate 1914 1922 transferred to Johnston Line renamed Vedamore, 1928 sold to Norway renamed Erland. 1,911
Wittekind 1889 1891 sold to Spain renamed Meliton Gonzales. 1,053
Wraymore   see Pomaron.  
York City 1881 1887 wrecked Faro Island, Sweden. 2,325
Zandbergen 1902 ex- Bacchus , 1911 purchased from Greece renamed Zandbergen for Furness Withy Dutch subsidiary, 1912 sold to Russia renamed Gagara. 3,145
Zebra 1859 1894 purchased from Thos. Wilson, Sons & Co., Hull, 1896 scrapped. 551

Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: January 18, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli