FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Mitsui Bussan Kaisha Mitsui Steamship Co. Ltd / Kobe Mitsui Sempaku K.K., Tokyo 1876-1964

Mitsui was originally the shipping department of the trading company Mitsui Bussan Kaisha. Mitsui Bussan was established in 1876 and obtained exclusive rights to export and market the coal mined at the state-run Miike mines. It chartered ships and transported coal on its own account.
In 1878 they bought a steamship, and in 1888 they bought the mines. Mitsui Bussan became an industrial carrier and the shipping section was established in 1898. The section expanded to become the Shipping Department and moved to Kobe in 1904. The company then owned 9 ships aggregating 36,752 DWT, and on the eve of World War I the fleet totalled 15 ships with 74,635 DWT, increasing to 30 ships totaling 127,141 DWT in 1919.

In 1914 a tramping service was started carrying the company's own cargo and that of other companies. In 1917 a shipyard was constructed and a shipbuilding department was set up and in 1920 it opened a semi-liner service from Dalian via Kobe to Seattle, whereby a liner service operated on outbound voyages but on the return voyage, owing to insufficient cargo at Seattle, ships had to stop and collect cargo at other ports.

In 1928 Mitsui opened a Bangkok route, in 1931 a Philippines route, in 1932 a Dalien to New York route, and in 1935 a Persian Gulf route. From 1933 the Shipping Department became known as Mitsui Line. In 1937 it owned 35 ships aggregating 227,044 DWT. The shipbuilding department was separated off as the Mitsui Tama Shipyard in 1937, and in 1942 the former Shipping Department too became a separate company, Mitsui Steamship Co., Ltd.

In 1943 several smaller shipping companies were merged with Mitsui Steamship Co. During World War II, and after the war, all Mitsui ships were under the control of the government. When Japan lost the war in 1945, only 17 of Mitsui’s vessels were left, increasing to 22 vessels totaling 77,459 DWT when Mitsui re-acquired operations that had previously been chartered out to the Civilian Merchant Marine Committee (CMMC). Mitsui then began a vigorous expansion of its fleet and routes to re-establish its pre-war network.

Mitsui constructed 38 vessels between 1950 and its merger with OSK in 1964, and its operating tonnage was the largest in Japan. One of its ships, Kinkasan Maru, was the first bridge-controlled ship in the world. Mitsui planned to rationalize its crews and at the same time improve the working conditions of engineers. It cooperated with Mitsui Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., a direct successor of Mitsui Tama Shipyard, and designed innovatory bridge-controlled ships. The Kinkasan Maru was delivered in 1961 and Mitsui placed it, along with another bridge-controlled ship, on the New York route, which was re-opened in 1951. Besides the New York route, Mitsui operated westbound and eastbound routes around the world, a Central and South America route, a West Africa route, and a Great Lakes route. In 1964 Mitsui owned 45 vessels aggregating 737,098 DWT. However, Mitsui's performance was disappointing from 1950 until the O.S.K. merger in 1964.
Another shipping company Ryoto Kisen K.K. was managed by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha with ships names also ending …san Maru.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • Kobe, Nagoya, Shimizu, Yokohama, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Cristobal, New York, Antwerp, Rotterdam, Bremen, Hamburg, London, Antwerp, Bremen, Hamburg, Rotterdam, Le Havre, Marseilles, Genoa, Alexandria, Port Said, Penang, Singapore, Bangkok/Kohsichang, Saigon, Manila, Hong Kong, Yokohama, Nagoya, Yokkaichi, Kobe
    • Kobe, Shimizu, Yokohama, Philippine ports, Singapore, Port Swettenham, Penang, Colombo, Bombay, Port Said, Genoa, Marseilles, Casablanca, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Hampton Roads/Tampa, New Orleans, Houston, Galveston, Cristobal, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yokohama, Osaka, Kobe

Funnel: & Flag

Fleet:

Funnel Flag
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Akagisan Maru (1) 1924 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 07 December 1944 bombed and sunk by American airplanes with the loss of 127 lives. 4,714
Akagisan Maru (2) 1951 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Ta Lai SS Co. renamed Ta Peng No.2, 1977 sold to Ocean Enterprise Co. renamed Victory King, 1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,637
Akakurasan Maru   see Asahisan Maru (2).  
Akashi Maru 1918 built by Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- War Simoon built for The Shipping Controller, ex- Dibble Bridge 1919 for Swift Steamship Co., West Hartlepool, ex- Tunesia 1921 for Frank C. Strick, 1926 sold to Shimatani Kisen K.K., Japan renamed Akasi Maru, 1943 taken over with fleet of Shimatani Kisen K.K., 27 October 1943 torpedoed and sunk by US submarine Bluefish. 3,227
Akashisan Maru (1) 1935 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1938 renamed Akasisan Maru, 02 March 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Sandlance with the loss of 44 lives. 4,551
Akashisan Maru (2) 1951 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Char Hwa Marine Co. renamed Golden Camel, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,668
Akasisan Maru   see Akashisan Maru (1).  
Akibasan Maru (1) 1924 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 30 January 1944 bombed and sunk by American airplanes off Truk with the loss of 52 lives. 4,607
Akibasan Maru (2) 1952 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1974 sold to Unique Shipping Enterprise renamed Unique Enterprises, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,743
Amagisan Maru (1) 1905 built by R. Craggs & Sons Ltd., Middlesborough | ex- Corinthic, 1913 purchased from W.H. Cockerline & Co. renamed Amagisan Maru, 1933 scrapped. 3,662
Amagisan Maru (2) 1933 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 17 February 1944 bombed and sank by American warplanes off Truk with the loss of 1 life. 7,620
Amagisan Maru (3) 1951 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1970 sold to A.M. Nomikos, Greece renamed Nikos, 1981 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 6,987
Amatusan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type A, 06 May 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Guarnard in Celebes Sea. 6,886
Aobasan Maru (1)   see Awobasan Maru.  
Aobasan Maru (2) 1952 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Tai Lai SS Co. renamed Eurytehli, 1977 sold to Treasure Maritime Co. renamed Poheng, 1978 sold to China renamed Ji Hai 1, 1999 deleted from Register. 6,738
Araosan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 2A-10, 06 April 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Hardhead with the loss of 57 lives. 6,886
Ariake Maru 1890 built by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields | ex- Charters Towers, 1891 sold by Stumer & Co, London to Miike Transport Co (Mitsui & Co.), London, 1895 Ariake Maru, Mitsui Bussan Gomei Kaisha, Nagasaki. 1911 Baba Goshi Kaisha, Nishinomiya 1934 scrapped. 3,041
Arimasan Maru 1937 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1967 to Toyo Kaiun renamed Katsuragawa Maru, 1968 sold to Asahi Kaiun renamed Chokyu Maru, 1970 scrapped. 8,697
Arisan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 2A-14, 24 October 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Snook and sunk with great loss of life. 6,886
Asahi Maru No. 2 1919 built by Nitta Shipbuilding, Osaka | ex- Asahi Maru No. 2 built for Nitta Kisen, 1922 to Kyoritsu Kisen, 1938 purchased by Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1943 taken over from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 13 August 1944 bombed and sunk off Hong Kong. 1,322
Asahisan Maru (1) 1935 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 23 July 1944 bombed and sunk by American warplanes at Halmahera, with the loss of 2 lives. 4,551
Asahisan Maru (2) 1939 built by Cantieri Riuniti Adriatico, San Marco | ex- Dona Nati, 1951 purchased from De la Rama S.S. Co. Inc, Iloilo renamed Asahisan Maru, 1956 renamed Akakurasan Maru, 1964 sold to Wah Kwong & Co. renamed Union Venture, 1968 sold to Asia-Africa Shipping Co. renamed Gelora, 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 5,400
Asakasan Maru (1) 1937 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 27 February 1943 bombed and sank by British bombers in mouth of Moulmein River with the loss of 4 lives. 8,709
Asakasan Maru (2) 1937 built by Kockums Mek Verkstads AB, Malmo | ex- Talisman, 1950 abandoned on fire off Shimizu, Japan, towed to Yokohama, repaired, 1951 purchased from Wilh. Wilhelmsen renamed Asakasan Maru, 1959 sold same name, 1966 sold to Hei An Shipping Co., Taiwan renamed Chun An, 1967 sold to Panama same name, 1968 sold to Shun On Shipping Corp. renamed Tien Ho, 1969 scrapped at Osaka. 6,701
Asosan Maru (1) 1890 built by Duthie Bros, Aberdeen | ex- Renown, 1895 purchased from Duthie Bros & Co, Aberdeen renamed Asosan Maru, 11 May 1921 wrecked north of Choshi, Hitachi. 1,709
Asosan Maru (2) 1934 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 01 May 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Bluegill east of Minadanao with the loss of 3 lives. 8,812
Asukasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 2A-7, 04 July 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Tang with the loss of 32 lives. 6,886
Atagosan Maru (1) 1897 built by A. MacMillan & Sons Ltd., Dumbarton | 23 June 1910 wrecked Amherst Rock, near Shanghai. 2,044
Atagosan Maru (2) 1900 built by Russell & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Alberta built for Alberta S.S. Co. (Fratelli Cosulich), Trieste, 1913 purchased from Unione Austriaca di Nav SA renamed Atagosan Maru, 1933 scrapped. 3,949
Atsutasan Maru 1937 built by Tama Shipbuilding Co., Tama | 1938 renamed Atuasan Maru (according to Jordan), 16 December 1941 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Swordfish with the loss of 3 lives. 8,662
Atuasan Maru   see Atsutasan Maru.  
Awajisan Maru (1) 1939 built by Tama Shipbuilding Co., Tama | 08 December 1941 damaged and on fire after air raid at Kota Bahru, 12 December 1941 wreck torpedoed and sank by Dutch submarine KXII. 9,794
Awajisan Maru (2) 1952 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Ta Lai SS Co renamed Euryshunli, 1976 sold to Treasure Maritime Co. renamed Anheng, 1983 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,746
Awobasan Maru 1935 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1938 renamed Aobasan Maru (according to Jordan), 30 October 1944 bombed and sunk by American bombers with the loss of 2 lives. 8,812
Ayatosan Maru 1939 built by Tama Shipbuilding Co., Tama | 21 July 1942 bombed and sunk by American bombers NE Coast of New Guinea with the loss of 3 lives. 9,788
Azuchisan Maru (1) 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 2A, 02 October 1944 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 6,888
Azuchisan Maru (2) 1953 built by Nihonkai Dock, Toyama | Built for Kusakabe Kisen K.K., Tokyo, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1973 sold to C.T. Chu renamed Good Fortune, 1973 sold to First International Shipping renamed Sara Sun, 21 December 1973 sank in tow. 6,758
Azumasan Maru (1) 1906 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Purley, 1913 purchased from Houlder Middleton renamed Azumasan Maru, 1933 scrapped at Taketoyo. 4,359
Azumasan Maru (2) 1933 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 15 October 1942 damaged and on fire off Guadalcanal and beached with the loss of 3 lives. 7,623
Azumasan Maru (3) 1950 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Dong Sue Shipping Co. renamed Eastern Cherry, 1977 scrapped at Pusan. 6,993
Azutisan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 2A-1, 02 October 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Aspro with the loss of 19 lives. 6,383
Banyei Maru No. 15 1919 built by Nitta Shipbuilding, Osaka | ex- Banyei Maru No. 15 built for Nitta Kisen, 1922 to Kyoritsu Kisen, 1938 purchased by Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1943 taken over from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1951 sold to Hokusei Kaiun, 1956 sold to Kotani Kisen and converted into a motorship, 1961 sold to Tokushima Kisen renamed Taketoku Maru, 1965 scrapped. 1,828
Banyei Maru No. 3 1919 built by Nitta Shipbuilding, Osaka | ex- Banyei Maru No. 3 built for Nitta Kisen, later to Kyoritsu Kisen, 1938 purchased by Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1943 taken over from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 22 July 1945 wrecked off Ojika. 1,773
Banyei Maru No. 6 1917 built by Nitta Shipbuilding, Osaka | ex- Banyei Maru No. 6 built for Nitta Kisen, 1922 to Kyoritsu Kisen, 1938 purchased by Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1943 taken over from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 25 November 1944 bombed and sunk. 1,191
Banyei Maru No. 7 1917 built by Nitta Shipbuilding, Osaka | ex- Banyei Maru No. 7 built for Nitta Kisen, 1922 to Kyoritsu Kisen, 1938 purchased by Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1943 taken over from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 19 April 1951 wrecked off Hokkaido. 1,187
Chihaya Maru 1875 ex- Formosa, ex- Chihaya Maru, 1887 purchased, 10 November 1892 foundered off Hong Kong. 460
Chokakusan Maru 1904 built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki | 19 October 1905 wrecked off Nyudozaki, Ugo. 2,030
Fujisan Maru 1897 built by A. MacMillan & Sons Ltd., Dumbarton | 1928 sold to Nei Hong Hing renamed Hai Ping, 31 October 1934 sunk in collision Liao River. 2,036
Genkai Maru 1939 built by Tamano Zosensho, Tamano | ex- Genkai Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 12 September 1944 bombed and sunk. 3,850
Ginsen Maru 1907 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Wotan built for H.H. Schmidt, Germany, ex- Talawa 1922 for Australian Government, ex- Ginsen Maru 1923, 1934 purchased from Nanyo Mining, Dalian not renamed, 1935 scrapped. 4,186
Gokensan Maru 1898 built by Strand Slipway, Monkwearmouth | ex- Abchurch, 1914 purchased from Abchurch S.S. Co . Ltd (Fenwick, Stobart), London renamed Gokensan Maru, 18 February 1944 wrecked. 1,621
Hagurosan Maru 1955 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1978 sold renamed Ocean Princess, 1980 scrapped at Seville. 9,637
Hakodate Maru 1876 ex- Kanyo Maru, 1887 purchased, 1888 sold, 27 August 1905 wrecked. 336
Hakonesan Maru (1) 1929 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 18 October 1942 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Greenling with the loss of 14 lives. 6,674
Hakonesan Maru (2) 1954 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1976 sold renamed Fortune Clipper, 1979 Ocean Clipper, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,927
Hakubasan Maru (1) 1928 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 28 July 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Crevalle. 6,650
Hakubasan Maru (2) 1949 built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1970 sold to Ta Peng SS Co. renamed Ta Peng No.1, 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,678
Harunasan Maru (1) 1901 built by S.P. Austin & Sons Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Edith, 1913 purchased from Lambert Brothers Ltd, London renamed Harunasan Maru, 1932 scrapped. 2,981
Harunasan Maru (2) 1954 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1977 sold renamed Char Ming, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,890
Heiei Maru No. 7 1903 built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Rabenfels built for DDG Hansa, Bremen, 1914 seized by Britain, renamed HMS Raven II (Seaplane Carrier), 1917 rebuilt into a cargo ship, 1918 renamed Ravenrock, 1923 sold to British Dominions SS Co. not renamed, 1923 sold to Japan renamed Heiei Maru No. 7, 1934 purchased from Karafuto Kisen, 1934 sold to Inui Kisen, 1943 deleted from Register. 4,396
Heiwa Maru (1) 1943 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | ex- Heiwa Maru, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 24 December 1943 torpedoed by submarine USS Raton and wrecked at Kaoe Bay, Halmahera. 5,579
Heiwa Maru (2) 1963 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | ex- Heiwa Maru, 1964 purchased from Hokusei Kaiun, 1971 sold renamed Grand Betelgeuze, 02 May 1977 wrecked at Port Louis and declared total loss 12,724
Hideyoshi Maru 1878 built by W.F. Piles, Sunderland | ex- Orduna, 1878 purchased from C.J. Briggs renamed Hideyoshi Maru, 1896 sold to Y. Tani, 1921 sold to Amagasaki, 1949 deleted from Register. 729
Hikosan Maru 1892 built by J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland | ex- Carradale built for own account, 1895 purchased renamed Hikosan Maru, 02 October 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 3,531
Hirano Maru 1916 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | ex- Hirano Maru built for Meiji Kaiun, 1926 sold to Shimatani Kisen K.K., 1943 purchased with fleet, 15 July 1945 bombed and sunk. 1,234
Hodakasan Maru 1955 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1978 sold renamed Union Jeddah, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,218
Hoeisan Maru 1954 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1976 sold renamed Ocean Adel, 1977 sold renamed Uranus, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,953
Horaisan Maru 1917 built by Osaka Iron Works, Sakurajima | 04 March 1926 wrecked Gray’s Harbor. 6,071
Hoyeisan Maru 1918 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | 1937 sold to Yamashita Kisen and chartered back, 18 October 1944 bombed and sunk by American warplanes. 6,079
Ibukisan Maru 1922 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1935 sold to Itaya Shosen renamed Danichi Maru, 08 October 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine. 5,821
Ikomasan Maru 1916 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | 07 March 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes. 3,179
Inuisan Maru 1954 built by Fujinagata, Osaka | In service for Toyo Kaiun K.K., Tokyo, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1973 sold renamed Eastern Mercury, 1978 scrapped at Hong Kong. 7,197
Inujima Maru No.1 1898 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | ex- Inujima Maru No.1, 1905 purchased from City of Osaka, 1921 sold to S. Sugiyama, 1927 sold to Iino Shoij, 1944 sold to Iino Kaiun, 1952 scrapped. 581
Inujima Maru No.4 1898 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | ex- Inujima Maru No.4, 1905 purchased from City of Osaka, 1921 sold and resold several times, 1952 scrapped. 582
Inushima Maru No.1 1898 built by Osaka Iron Works, Sakurajima | 1954 deleted from Register. 580
Iwatasan Maru 1921 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1935 sold to Tamai Shosen, 24 July 1938 wrecked Kaikyo To, Sakhalin. 5,834
Kachosan Maru 1925 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 23 March 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes with the loss of 212 lives. 2,427
Kaicho Maru 1917 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | 1921 sold, 1927 deleted from Register. 774
Kaika Maru 1918 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 24 June 1921 wrecked Hokkaido. 1,082
Kaiko Maru 1918 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1927 deleted from Register. 1,095
Kaisei Maru 1882 built by Nagasaki Branch of Technical Engineering Bureau of Japan, Nagasaki | ex- Kaisei Maru, 1890 purchased from M. Tsukuda, 1894. 311
Kaisho Maru 1917 1921 sold, 1929 scrapped. 757
Kaiten Maru 1917 built by Ichikawa, S., Ominato | 1921 sold, June 1926 foundered off Shimagun 922
Kamogawa Maru 1952 built by Fujinagata, Osaka | In service for Toyo Kaiun K.K., Tokyo, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1969 renamed Port Elizabeth Maru, 1972 sold to Ta Lai SS Co. renamed Chieh Peng, 1976 sold to Kee Yeh Shipping Co. renamed Cheer Song, 1977 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,202
Kasagisan Maru 1925 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 25 November 1944 bombed and sunk by American warplanes with the loss of 36 lives. 2,427
Kasimasan Maru 1944 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | Standard ship type 1C-3, 06 June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Pintado near Saipan with the loss of 53 lives. 2,825
Kasugasan Maru (1) 1925 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1957 sold to Hokusei Kaiun renamed Mayachi Maru, 1965 scrapped. (H. Noma in his book A Fleet History of MOL states 30 May 1945 sunk by submarine) 2,427
Kasugasan Maru (2) 1962 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Evergreen Marine, Taiwan renamed Ever Harmony, 1979 sold renamed Char Hwa, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,425
Katsudachi Maru 1888 built by Sir Raylton, Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | ex- Pallas, 1895 purchased from Rathbone Bros renamed Katsudachi Maru, 1903 sold to Korean Navy renamed Yang Moo, 1909 sold to Harada & Co. renamed Katsudachi Maru, 27 September 1916 foundered off Quelpart Island. 3,248
Katsuragisan Maru 1925 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 07 January 1944 mined in NE entrance channel, Truk. 2,427
Kikukiri Maru 1896 built by W. Denny & Bros., Dumbarton | ex- Oolobaria built for British India Steam Nav. Co., ex- Kikuri Maru 1923, 1934 purchased from Kanto Kisen not renamed, 1935 scrapped. 5,218
Kinjosan Maru 1936 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 04 May 1942 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Trout near Truk. 3,262
Kinkasan Maru (1) 1911 built by Sir Raylton, Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | 01 October 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Peto near Rabaul. 4,980
Kinkasan Maru (2) 1961 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,316
Kinposan Maru 1937 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 16 January 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Greenling with the loss of 30 lives. 8,261
Kiso Maru 1920 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | ex- Kiso Maru, 1923 purchased from Tokyo Kaiun, 1937 sold to Shoyo Shosen, 1943 sold to Sanko Kisen, 22 November 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Tinosa. 4,065
Kiyomasa Maru 1879 built by Ishikawajima Shipyard, Hirano | Sailing Ship, 1882 sold to S. Toyoda, 1887 deleted from Register. 450
Kokei Maru 1939 built by Hakodate Dock, Hakodate | ex- Kokei Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 21 February 1944 bombed and sunk. 3,850
Kongosan Maru 1902 built by C. Connell Ltd., Glasgow | ex- Indramayo, 1914 purchased from Thos B. Royden & Co. renamed Kongosan Maru, 01 March 1928 wrecked near Tamanoura. 5,177
Kosei Maru 1924 built by Harima Dockyard, Harima | ex- Meiji Maru built for Sakai Shoten, 1933 sold to Shimatani Kisen K.K. renamed Kosei Maru, taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 27 January 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Thresher. 2,681
Kotohirasan Maru 1945 built by Mitsui Akitsu Shipyard | Standard ship type 2D-1, 05 August 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Pogy near Funakawa. 2,220
Koyasan Maru 1927 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 10 February 1935 wrecked Kaminoshima, near Daiosaki. 1,998
Kumanosan Maru 1943 built by Nagoya Drydock, Nagoya | 23 June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Grouper with the loss of 1 life. 2,858
Kumasaka Maru 1874 built by Gibbon, Sunderland | ex- Coomasie, 1882 purchased from R. Forest, Shields renamed Kumasaka Maru, 1884 sold to Hajo Kaisha, 1888 sold to T. Misui, 1894 renamed Hoo Maru, 1896 grounded and lost. 428
Kuramasan Maru 1927 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 02 November 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Barbero with the loss of 5 lives. 1,995
Kwayo Maru 1923 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | 04 March 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Peto with the loss of 28 lives. 4,368
Kyoei Maru 1951 built by Nippon Kokan Kabushiki Kaisha, Tsurumi | Built for Kyoritsu Kisen K.K., Tokyo, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1968 renamed Acapulco Maru, 1974 sold to Prompt Shipping Corp. renamed Tasman Career, 1979 sold to Gulf Shipping Lines renamed United Conquest, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,493
Kyotoku Maru 1954 built by Nippon Kokan Kabushiki Kaisha, Tsurumi | Built for Kyoritsu Kisen K.K., Tokyo, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1967 renamed Adelaide Maru, 1975 sold renamed Char Hsing, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,525
Mandasan Maru (1) 1901 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Pembrokeshire, 1903 purchased from Jenkins & Co.(Shire Line), London renamed Mandasan Maru, 1933 scrapped. 4,513
Mandasan Maru (2) 1920 built by Smith's Dock Company, Middlesborough | ex- Tonjer, 1951 purchased from H.M. Wrangell & Co. renamed Mandasan Maru, 1961 scrapped at Setoda. 3,268
Manjusan Maru 1957 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,277
Matsudosan Maru 1959 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1974 sold renamed Sea Discoverer, 1978 sold renamed Han Nuri, 1983 scrapped at Pusan. 9,548
Mayachi Maru 1916 built by Uraga Dock Co. Ltd, Uraga | ex- Kaio Maru built for Furukawa Mining, ex Mayachi Maru 1922, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 12 August 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Pompon. 2,159
Mayasan Maru (1) 1889 built by Howaldtswerke A.G., Kiel | ex- Michael Jebsen, 1904 purchased from M. Jebsen renamed Mayasan Maru, 1904 sold to J. Harada, sold several times afterwards, 25 October 1930 wrecked Airomisaki, Sakhalin. 980
Mayasan Maru (2) 1942 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1943 converted into a landing craft carrier for the Army, 17 November 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Picuda with the loss of 3,432 lives. 9,433
Mayasan Maru (3) 1958 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung 9,558
Megurosan Maru 1958 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1974 sold renamed Onward Elite, 1978 sold renamed Unique Challenge, 1982 scrapped at Kaohsiung 9,566
Meirinsan Maru 1954 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1973 sold renamed Hopei, 1975 sold renamed Union Tokyo, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,503
Miesan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Matsunoura | 29 July 1954 wrecked near Shirashima and scrapped. 918
Mifunesan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Aioi | Standard ship type 2E, 27 June 1945 mined and sunk 872
Miharasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | Standard ship type, 1964 scrapped. 884
Miikesan Maru 1917 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | 1934 sold to Sugaya Kisen, 09 August 1944 wrecked outside Kaohsiung harbor. 3,179
Mikagesan Maru 1956 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1978 sold renamed Union Singapore, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 9,583
Mikamisan Maru 1943 built by Ishikawajima Heavy Industries | Standard ship type 2ERS, 02 June 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Tench with the loss of 24 lives. 861
Mikasasan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Matsunoura | Standard ship type 2ERS, 14 August 1945 mined and sunk. 865
Mikawasan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Matuura | Standard ship type E, 19 March 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes off Hama, Iyo Nada. 865
Mikesan Maru 1916 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | 14 August 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes. 3,179
Mikunisan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Matsunoura | Standard ship type E, 08 July 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes in the mouth of Mokpo Harbor. 866
Mikurasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | Standard ship type E, 1951 sold to Kyodo Shosen, 1953 sold to Fuji Kisen, 1953 scrapped. 881
Misakisan Maru 1946 built by Tokyo Zosensho, Tokyo | Standard ship type 3E, 1951 sold to Kinka Kisen, 1954 scrapped. 875
Misimasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | Standard ship type E, 1951 sold to Hokkai Shosen, 1952 sold to Nigata Shosen, 01 August 1953 wrecked near Kinkasan Lighthouse. 884
Mitakesan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Matsunoura | Standard ship type E, 01 July 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes between Okinoshima Island and Tsushima Island with the loss of 2 lives. 866
Mitsukisan Maru 1944 built by Kawaminami, Fukahori | 10 June 1962 wrecked 3nm west of Omaesaki. 873
Mitsuminesan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | 1951 scrapped. 875
Mitukisan Maru 1944 built by Kawanami Shipyard | Standard ship type 2E, 1950 sold to Amaksu Sangyo Kisen, 1955 sold to Marunochi Kisen, 1960 sold to Dowa Kisen, 1962 scrapped 873
Mituminesan Maru 1944 built by Kawanami Shipyard | Standard ship type 2E, 1950 scrapped. 873
Miurasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | Standard ship, 05 July 1945 mined and probably scrapped in Korea in 1947. 884
Miwasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | Standard ship type 2E, 1951 scrapped. 875
Miyesan Maru 1943 built by Harima Shipbuilding, Matuura | Standard ship type E, 1951 scrapped. 865
Miyosisan Maru 1944 built by Mitsubishi, Wakamatsu | 01 June 1947 wrecked off Shiriyasaki. 881
Mogamisan Maru 1959 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1979 scrapped at Hirao. 9,558
Momijisan Maru 1959 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1973 sold renamed Sea Brave, 1978 sold renamed Han Garan, 1984 scrapped at Pusan. 9,548
Musashisan Maru 1958 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1973 sold renamed Sea Adventure, 1977 sold renamed Sea Victory, 1978 sold renamed Fortune Pilot, 1981 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 9,550
Myogisan Maru 1899 built by Reid & Co., Glasgow | ex- Nyassa, 1914 purchased from SS Nyassa Co. Ltd (Maclay & McIntyre), Glasgow renamed Myogisan Maru, 29 December 1927 wrecked Oshima, Hokkaido. 2,779
Nachisan Maru (1) 1931 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 1938 renamed Natisan Maru (according to Jordan), 13 November 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Trigger near Chju Island, Korea with the loss of 36 lives. 4,434
Nachisan Maru (2) 1951 built by Ishikawajima Ship & Chem. Plant, Tokyo | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1971 sold to Victoria Shipping Lines renamed Nachisan, 1977 sold to Golden Nav Co. renamed Golden Venture, 1979 sold to Sea Liner Co. renamed Sea King, 1980 sold to Ajman Shipping & Trading Co. renamed A Trader, 1981 sold to Al Shamsi Trading Co. renamed Sareyah, 1982 scrapped at Chittagong. 4,658
Nagaosan Maru 1960 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1971 sold renamed Maritime Explorer, 1983 scrapped at Bangkok. 6,550
Nagisan Maru 1931 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 30 March 1944 bombed and sunk by American warplanes at Palau Atoll. 4,391
Narasan Maru 1958 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1971 sold renamed Virginia Star, 1979 sold renamed Virgin Star, 1980 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 5,201
Nasusan Maru (1) 1931 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 14 June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Tang near Nagasaki with the loss of 10 lives. 4,399
Nasusan Maru (2) 1951 built by Fujinagata, Osaka | ex- Fujikawa Maru, 1956 purchased from Toyo Kaiun K.K., Tokyo renamed Nasusan Maru, 1963 sold to Kanasashi Zosensho renamed Kanekiyo Maru, 1966 sold to Fong Shing Hong renamed Chin Lan, 1966 sold to Hyopsung Shipping Corp. renamed Song Do, 1975 scrapped. 4,207
Natisan Maru   see Nachisan Maru (1).  
Nihonkai Maru 1932 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | ex- Nihonkai Maru, 1943 taken over with fleet of Shimatani Kisen K.K., 17 June 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Flounder. 2,681
Nikkosan Maru (1) 1917 built by Skinner & Eddy Corporation, Seattle | Laid down as Martha Washington, launched as Nikkosan Maru, completed as Indiana, 1918 renamed Western Front, 11 July 1921 sunk after explosion and fire 10nm WSW Bishop Rock. 5,743
Nikkosan Maru (2) 1961 built by Fujinagata, Osaka | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1971 sold renamed Victoria Peak, 1979 scrapped at Mukaishima. 5,176
Nireisan Maru 1896 built by David J. Dunlop, Inch Yard | ex- Ibadan, 1905 purchased from African S.S. Co. (Elder, Dempster), London renamed Nireisan Maru, 29 August 1918 wrecked near Shodoshima. 793
Numobiki Maru 1874 built by Caird & Co., Greenock | ex- Sindoro built for the Nederlandsch Indische Stoomvaart Mij., 1896 purchased from Koninklijke Paketvaart Maatschappij renamed Numobiki Maru, 21 July 1899 foundered 60nm E Saddle Island. (Miramar) (according to Muller 1896 sold to Hassagawa, Kobe, Japan renamed Hokuyu Maru, 1900 scrapped in Japan). 1,336
Oesan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1945 converted into a dry cargo ship, 1956 transferred to Toyo Kaiun renamed Tamagawa Maru, 1963 scrapped at Tsuneishi. 6,892
Ogurasan Maru (1) 1943 built by Hitachi Shipbuilding, Sakurajima | Standard tanker type 1TM, 26 November 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Bowfin with the loss of 30 lives. 5,069
Ogurasan Maru (2) 1957 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1971 sold renamed Eastern Pioneer, 1976 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 12,530
Ohminesan Maru 1958 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1969 sold to Nihon Suisa converted into a fish factory ship renamed Mineshima Maru, 1989 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 20,202
Ojikasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1945 converted into a dry cargo ship, 13 June 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine. 6,892
Ominesan Maru 1943 built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Nagasaki | Tanker, 04 March 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Bluefish with the loss of 45 lives. 10,536
Omrusan Maru 1937 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | Tanker, 1938 renamed Omurosan Maru (1) (according to Jordan), 22 December 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Flasher with the loss of 2 lives. 9,205
Omurosan Maru (1)   see Omrusan Maru.  
Omurosan Maru (2) 1953 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1961 converted into a bulk carrier, 13,186gt, 1967 sold to Sanwa Kisen renamed Asahigawa Maru, 1970 sold to Regent Shipping Management renamed Hollyhock, 1977 sold to Dae Won Sa Co. renamed Dae Sun, 1978 scrapped at Pusan. 13,103
Osakasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 2A-20 dry cargo, converted into a tanker, 17 November 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Peto with the loss of 142 lives 6,925
Oshima Maru 1934 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1952 sold to Sugaya Kisen, 1967 scrapped at Nose. 970
Otorisan Maru 1943 built by Harima Dockyard, Harima | Standard tanker type TM, 26 July 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Flasher and USS Crevalle with the loss of 46 lives. 5,280
Otowasan Maru (1) 1936 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | Tanker, 22 December 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Flasher with the loss of 62 lives. 9,205
Otowasan Maru (2) 1952 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1965 converted into a bulk carrier, 14,465gt, 1973 sold to R.J. Del Pan Co. renamed Orient Mariner, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 12,687
Otusan Maru 1944 built by Kawanami Industries, Koyagijima | Standard ship type 2A-13 dry cargo, converted into a tanker, 12 January 1945 bombed and sunk by American warplanes near Qui Nhon with the loss of 28 lives. 6,859
Ozikasan Maru 1944 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | Standard ship type 2A, 13 June 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Bonefish with the loss of 30 lives. 6,892
Rokkosan Maru 1911 built by Sir Raylton, Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | 25 September 1944 bombed and sunk by American warplanes. 2,166
Sancho Maru 1918 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Uno | 1951 sold to Sugaya Kisen, 1955 deleted from Register. 1,215
Sanjin Maru 1919 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Uno | 1935 sold to Sugaya Shoji, 14 June 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine. 2,494
Sanka Maru 1918 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Uno | 1935 sold to Sugaya Shoji, 1938 sold to Oguri Kisen, 1944 sold to Osaka Shosen Kisen, 10 March 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Kete. 2,488
Sanko Maru 1919 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Uno | 1939 transferred to Toa Kaiun, 03 November 1945 mined 2nm off Okayasuhama. 630
Sansho Maru 1918 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Uno | 13 January 1920 foundered off Yagi. 1,444
Santen Maru 1918 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Uno | 1939 transferred to Toa Kaiun, 21 May 1945 mined off Niihama. 1,211
Shiksian Maru 1925 built by D. & W. Henderson & Co Ltd., Glasgow | ex- Thistleros, 1928 purchased from Albyn Line renamed Shiksian Maru, 1938 renamed Sikisan Maru (according to Jordan), 24 July 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Drum with the loss of 11 lives. (Noma names ship Shigisan Maru) 4,725
Shin Yubari Maru (1) 1936 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | ex- Shin Yubari Maru, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 23 February 1944 torpedoed, bombed and sunk. 5,354
Shin Yubari Maru (2) 1964 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | ex- Shin Yubari Maru, 1964 purchased from Hokusei Kasiun, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1976 sold to Panama renamed Zenovia D, 1981 sold renamed New Spirit, 1982 sold renamed Maria N.K., 1985 damaged by fire & explosion at Tuxpan and total loss. 3,947
Shinyei Maru No. 3 1918 built by Nitta Shipbuilding, Osaka | ex- Shinyei Maru No. 3 built for Nitta Kisen, 1922 to Kyoritsu Kisen, 1943 purchased, 1944 sold to Sakai Kisen, 1953 scrapped. 958
Shirakamisan Maru 1946 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1955 sold to Ryusho Kaiun renamed Ryuwa Maru, 1964 sold to Ta Cheng Marine Co. renamed Ta Cheng, 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 4,925
Shiranesan Maru (1) 1943 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 1B-1,18 October 1944 1944 torpedoed and sunk with troops by American submarine USS Raton with the loss of 1426 lives. 4,739
Shiranesan Maru (2) 1922 built by Stabilimento Tecnico Triestino, San Marco | ex- Savoia built for Navigazione Libera Triestina 1937 to Lloyd Triestino, Trieste not renamed, 1941 captured by British warship, 1942 renamed Empire Arun, 1947 sold to Goulandris Bros, London renamed Granlake, 1949 sold to Cia Maritima del Este, Panama renamed Dryad, 1951 sold to Hikari Kisen KK, Tokyo renamed Shiranesan Maru, 1953 sold to Mitsui Kinkai Kisen KK, Tokyo same name, 1955 sold to Hokuyo Suisan KK, Tokyo, used as a crab cannery, 1962 sold to Nichiro Gyogyo KK, Tokyo renamed Tainichi Maru, 1969 scrapped at Utsumi-Machi. 5,736
Shiroganesan Maru 1943 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 1B-1, 06 August 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine. 4,739
Shoei Maru 1937 built by Hakodate Dock, Hakodate | ex- Shoei Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet,16 December 1944 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine HMS Stoic. 1,986
Shohei Maru 1931 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | ex- Shohei Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 10 May 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Cod off Manilla. 7,255
Shoho Maru 1937 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | ex- Shoho Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 31 December 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Bluegill. 1,936
Sikisan Maru   see Shiksian Maru.  
Siroganesan Maru 1943 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Standard ship type 1B-3, 06 August 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Rasher west of Luzon with the loss of 22 lives. 4,739
Sorachi Maru 1930 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | ex- Sorachi Maru, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1956 transferred to Tokyo Kaiun renamed Edogawa Maru, 1965 scrapped. 4,107
Stafford Maru 1929 built by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Glasgow | ex- Staffordshire, 1959 purchased from Bibby Line renamed Stafford Maru and resold for scrapping. (Miramar) 10,654
Syobu Maru 1941 built by Hakodate Dock, Hakodate | ex- Syobu Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 08 April 1944 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine HMS Sea Rover. 2,005
Taihosan Maru 1938 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 11 March 1943 damaged by torpedoes, 12 March 1943 sunk by torpedo of American submarine USS Plunger with the loss of 5 lives. 1,805
Taikosan Maru 1889 built by J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland | ex- Glenartney, 1904 purchased from McGregor, Gow & Co., Glasgow renamed Taikosan Maru, 1909 sold to K Hashimoto, Nishinomiya, 1917 sold to Inui Gomei Kaishya, Takesago with the same name.14 December 1917 sunk in collision near Cape Molino (Miramar), 1920 scrapped in Japan (Cooper, Harvey, Laxon ; Glen and Shire Lines). 3,026
Taikoshan Maru 1963 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | Tanker, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold to Panama renamed Klelia, 1983 scrapped. 38,964
Taisetsusan Maru 1960 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1972 sold renamed Heng Shan, 1977 sold renamed Chao Fong, 08 August 1979 foundered. 4,150
Takakurasan Maru 1906 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | ex- Landrat Scheiff built for M. Struve, Blankenese, ex- Edwin Reith 1916 for J.M.K. Blumenthal, ex- Laen Samud 1917 for Thai Government, ex- Taisei Maru 1924, 1943 purchased from Shimatani Kisen K.K. renamed Takakurasan Maru, 1951 scrapped. 1,640
Takaminesan Maru 1963 built by Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industries Ltd., Aioi | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1971 sold to Panama renamed Maritime Optium, 1976 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 33,788
Takamisan Maru 1928 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 14 May 1943 sunk by torpedo of American submarine USS Soury at the mouth of Chang Jiang River. 1,992
Takaosan Maru (1) 1911 built by J. Priestman & Co., Southwick | 24 March 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Wahoo with the loss of 36 lives. 2,075
Takaosan Maru (2) 1948 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1968 sold to Evergreen Marine, Taiwan renamed Ever Lite, 1970 sold to Da Ping Marine Corp. renamed Ping An, 1971 sold to Kwang Yang Nav Corp. renamed Chang Yang, 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 2,167
Takatorisan Maru 1949 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | 1959 sold to Fuji Kisen, 1965 sold to Yashima Kaiun, 1970 scrapped at Sakaide. 2,241
Taketu Maru 1942 built by Nippon Kokan Kabushiki Kaisha, Shimizu | 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 13 August 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine. 5,949
Tamatsu Maru 1919 built by Uraga Dock Co. Ltd, Uraga | ex- Tamatsu Maru, 1943 taken over with Shimatani Kisen K.K. fleet, 16 September 1943 destroyed in fire Port Swettenham. 4,646
Tamonsan Maru 1918 built by Ono Ironwork Shipyard., Osaka | ex- Tokiwasan Maru, 1943 purchased from Shimatani Kisen K.K., Nishinomiya with fleet renamed Tamonsan Maru, 1960 scrapped. 1,197
Tatsutasan Maru (1) 1928 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 03 December 1940 foundered 3nm off Nojimasaki. 1,992
Tatsutasan Maru (2) 1963 built by Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industries Ltd., Aioi | Tanker, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 34,720
Tenkai Maru 1917 built by Mitsubishi Zosen Kaisha, Nagasaki | ex- Tenkai Maru built for Suzuki Shoten, 1927 sold to Meiji Kaiun, 1933 sold to Shimatani Kisen K.K., 1943 taken over with fleet of Shimatani Kisen K.K., 05 September 1943 sunk by submarine. 3,203
Tenpaisan Maru 1911 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | 24 November 1927 wrecked Copalis River mouth, 12nm of Grays Harbor during thick fog. 5,416
Tenryusan Maru 1963 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1979 scrapped. 37,215
Teshiosan Maru 1948 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1965 sold to Poti Thai Nav. Co. renamed Poti No.1, 1967 sold to East Asia Maritime renamed Turtle No.5, 1969 sold to New Taiwan Marine renamed Glory No.3, 1972 sold to Wan Tung Transportation Co. renamed Wan Khim, 1974 sold to Hoi Wah Nav Co. renamed Adriana, 1978 scrapped. 2,152
Tesio Maru 1943 built by Tochigi Shipyard, Tochigi | Standard ship type 1C-1, 30 March 1944 bombed and sunk by American warplanes with the loss of 2 lives. 2,840
Togamisan Maru   see Toyama Maru.  
Tokachisan Maru (1) 1948 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1960 renamed Tokachisan Maru No.2, 1960 sold to San-ei Senpaku, 1962 sold to Indonesian Compass renamed Bachtera Kita, 1978 sold to Indonesian Oriental renamed Deepa Raya, 1987 scrapped. 1,952
Tokachisan Maru (2) 1961 built by Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industries Ltd., Tokyo | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1972 sold renamed Tai Shan, 1973 sold renamed Longwind, 1980 sold renamed Bon Voyage, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 3,980
Tokachisan Maru No.2   see Tokachisan Maru (1).  
Tokiwa Maru 1919 built by Ono Ironwork Shipyard., Osaka | ex- Tokiwa Maru built for Hamaguchi Kisen, 1924 sold to to Shimatani Kisen K.K., 1943 taken over with fleet of Shimatani Kisen K.K., 09 June 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Seadog. 914
Tokiwasan Maru 1938 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | 09 September 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Bang with the loss of 9 lives. 1,805
Tomi Maru 1900 built by Sir Raylton, Dixon & Co., Middlesborough | ex- Ismaila built for British India Steam Nav. Co., 1923 sold to Tokai Kisen, Japan renamed Tomi Maru, 1927 sold to Machida Kisen, 1930 sold to Matuura Kisen, 1934 purchased not renamed, 1934 sold to Shimatani Kisen K.K., 1935 scrapped. 5,444
Tone Maru 1920 built by Mitsui Bussan Kaisha, Tama | ex- Tone Maru, 1923 purchased from Tokyo Kaiun, 1937 sold to Tamai Shosen, 17 September 1942 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Growler. 4,070
Toyama Maru 1919 built by Ono Ironwork Shipyard., Osaka | ex- Toyama Maru, 1943 taken over with fleet of Shimatani Kisen K.K., later renamed Togamisan Maru, 1950 scrapped. 914
Tsukushi Maru 1926 built by Osaka Iron Works, Innoshima | ex- Tsukushi Maru built for Kaijima Shogyo, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Kisen, 23 August 1943 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Tang. 1,858
Tsukushi Maru No. 2 1926 built by Uraga Dock Co. Ltd, Uraga | ex- Tsukushi Maru No. 2 built for Kaijima Shogyo, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Kisen, 11 July 1944 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Sealion with the loss of 38 lives. 2,423
Tsukushi Maru No. 3 1927 built by Harima Dockyard, Harima | ex- Tsukushi Maru No. 3 built for Kaijima Shogyo, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Kisen, 18 March 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Trigger NW of Naze with the loss of many lives. 1,012
Tsurugisan Maru 1899 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Cardiganshire, 1899 purchased from Jenkins & Co. (Shire Line), London renamed Tsurugisan Maru, 1923 sold to Dairen Kisen K.K., Dairen renamed Oyama Maru, 1928 sold to Fuji Shosen K.K., Kobe not renamed, 1938 sold to Sugaya K.K., Kobe renamed Miharu Maru, 14 December 1941 lost south of Hokkaido. 3,777
Tsusai Maru 1868 built by Henderson, Coulborn & Co., Renfrew | ex- Sakura, 1887 purchased renamed Tsusai Maru, 1888 sold, 1928 sold to Amagasaki Kisen, 1929 deleted from Register. 775
Tukubasan Maru 1944 built by Nihonkai Dock, Toyama | Standard ship type 1D-5, 21 September 1944 bombed by American warplanes and beached at Manila with the loss of 3 lives. 1,937
Tukushi Maru 1871 built by Scott & Co., Greenock | ex- Crusader, 1889 purchased renamed Tukushi Maru, 1895 sold, 1910 deleted from Register. 1,060
Tukushi Maru No. 3 1927 built by Harima Dockyard, Harima | ex- Tukushi Maru No. 3 built for Kaijima Mine, 1943 purchased by Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 1943 purchased from Hokkaido Tanko Kisen, 18 March 1945 torpedoed and sunk by American submarine USS Trigger. 1,013
Ushiwaka Maru 1881 built by Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Reginald Hanson, 1883 purchased from G.E. Wood, London renamed Ushiwaka Maru, 1883 sold to Kyodo Unyu renamed Yechiu Maru, 23 March 1890 foundered off Japan. 954
Wakatsu Maru 1917 built by Charles Connell & Co., Glasgow | ex- Glenlyon built for James Gardiner & Co., 1917 to Furness, Withy & Co., ex- Indian Prince 1919 for the Rio Cape Line, management was transferred to Prince Line Ltd in 1922, 1936 sold to A. I. Cosmas, Panama renamed Andreas, 1941 seized by the Japanese in the Dutch East Indies, renamed Wakatsu Maru and placed under the management of Shimatani, 1943 taken over with fleet, 16 December 1942 was sunk off East Timor by Dutch aircraft from Darwin. 5,123
Yashiosan Maru 1960 built by Fujinagata, Osaka | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1976 sold renamed Messiniakos Gulf, 1981 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 11,702
Yawatasan Maru 1960 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1975 sold renamed Unique Wisteria, 1978 sold renamed Cosmos Reliance, 1981 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 17,107
Yoko Maru 1946 built by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd., Kobe | Standard type 3AT, ex- Yoko Maru, 1956 purchased from Taiyo Kogyo, 1958 sold to Yoyo Kaiun renamed Kinugawa Maru, 1964 scrapped. 7,148
Yoritomo Maru 1880 built by R. Thompson, Southwick | 1896 sold to K. Kawabe, 1908 sold to N. Yamamoto, 18 November 1911 wrecked off Sodo-n-he, Hokkaido. 986
Yoshinosan Maru 1956 built by Mitsui Engineering and Shipbuilding Co., Tamano Works | 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1976 sold renamed Uni Hope, 1978 sold renamed Hope, 1979 sold renamed Good Hope, 1981 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 6,322
Yubari Maru (1) 1894 built by A. Stephen & Sons Ltd., Linthouse | Launched as Farsistan but completed as Turkistan for Frank C. Strick, 1898 sold to Bucknall renamed Beira, ex- Shinkai Maru 1910, 1915 purchased renamed Yubari Maru, 1930 sold to Sugaya KK renamed Mihara Maru, 1935 scrapped. 4,056
Yubari Maru (2) 1925 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Ingola built for Maclay & McIntyre, ex- Tenax 1940 for Muir Young, ex- Kwok Sing 1948, ex- San Antoni 1948, 1951 purchased from Wallem & Co. renamed Ybari Maru, 1961 scrapped at Mukaishima. 4,252
Yubari Maru (3) 1964 built by Osaka Zosensho, Osaka | ex- Yubari Maru, 1964 purchased from Hokusei Kasiun, 1964 Mitsui merged with O.S.K. to become Mitsui OSK Lines, 1970 sold to Panama renamed Zipounas, 1976 sold renamed Caribbean Pearl, 1977 sold renamed El Zajon, 1984 scrapped. 4,227
Zuiko Maru 1949 built by Kawanami Industries, Nagasaki | ex- Zuiko Maru, 1956 purchased from Taiyo Kogyo, 1956 sold to Asano Kaiun renamed Tatsuhisa Maru, 1959 sold to Fuso Kaiun renamed Kenko Maru, 1968 scrapped. 701

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: January 14, 2010 and maintained by and M. Kohli