FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Morel Ltd., Cardiff 1876-1956

In 1876 Philip & Thomas Morel formed a partnership with their brother-in-law John Angel Gibbs and set up Morel Brothers & Co., at Cardiff. In 1876 they acquired their first steamship. In 1877 a new steamer the PORTUGALETTE (1) joined the fleet.
By the end of 1883 the Morel Brothers owned 26 smaller tramp ships. Most of the ships were placed in single ship companies like Beignon S.S. Co., Longueil S.S. Co. and after the death of John Angel Gibbs aged 35 in 1884, the Forest S.S. Co. and Treherbert S.S. Co.
The Morels owned also a small Cardiff Shipyard the Bute Shipbuilding, Engineering & Drydock Co. Ltd.

Sir Thomas Morel died in 1903 aged 56 and his elder brother Philip died in 1908. The fleet was heavily run down between 1904 and 1914 due to a lack of unity in the Morel Family and the fleet was down to two tramps during World War I, both of these were a World War I casualty.

In 1921 Morel Ltd acquired ships once more. Morel Ltd lost four ships during World War II only the CATRINE of 1940 survived. New ships were ordered after the war but already in 1956 when prices of second hand tramps were high due the Suez crisis, all the ships were sold and the company was wound up at the end of 1956.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

Funnel Flag
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Aberdare (1) 1882 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 22 March 1899 sunk in collision off Barry Island 1,348
Aberdare (2) 1924 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Merioneth, 1927 purchased from Cardigan Shipping Co. (J. Jenkins Sons & Co.), Cardiff renamed Aberdare, 1933 sold to A. Lauro, Italy renamed Antonio Limoncelli, 1941 seized from Achille Lauro, Naples by Brazilian Government, transferred to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Paranaloide, 1950 returned to Lauro renamed Antonio Limoncelli, 1950 scrapped at La Spezia. 4,600
Allende (1) 1883 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1890 renamed Forest, 1910 sold to J. Ingmansson renamed Fingal, 1919 sold to Sverige Levanten renamed Larnaca, 1921 sold to AB Maritime Strömstad (O. Norin) renamed Asta, 15 December 1927 sunk in collision with steamer BRESLAU. 1,644
Allende (2) 1929 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | 17 March 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.68 with the loss of 5 lives. 5,081
Barry 1883 built by J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland | ex- Bryn Glas, 1895 purchased from Jones Bros & Co., renamed Barry, 1909 scrapped at Genoa. 2,221
Beignon (1) 1879 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 20 May 1880 wrecked off Veille Point, Raz de Sein. 1,174
Beignon (2) 1880 built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton | 03 March 1899 sank after collision at Villez Martin, 3nm from St. Nazaire. 1,332
Beignon (3) 1939 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 01 July 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.30 with the loss of 3 lives. 5,218
Blaenavon (1) 1881 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1892 went missing at sea. 1,226
Blaenavon (2)   see Cardiff Castle.  
Cardiff 1898 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Cardiff, 1911 purchased from W.G. Morel & Co., 1915 sold to R. Sutherland, 1921 sold to Sovereign Steamship Co. (E.J. Mundy), Cardiff, 1924 sold to Schulte & Bruns, Emden renamed Konsul Schulte, 05 February 1942 torpedoed and sunk by Russian submarine SC.421 in Porsangerfjord. 2,808
Cardiff Castle 1889 built by Bute Shipbuilding, Engineering & Drydock Co. Ltd., Cardiff | 1893 renamed Blaenavon, 1915 sold to R.T. Arthurs & Co. renamed Benarthur, 08 August 1915 mined and sunk near Orloff Lighthouse, White Sea. 1,965
Castanos (1) 1882 built by Oswald Mordaunt & Co., Southampton | 1893 sold to Greece after grounding, 1894 sold to Theophilatos Bros renamed Ithaca, 1897 renamed Castanos, 1897 sold to R. Mackie & Co. renamed Newbigging, 1900 sold to Skagerack renamed Anton, 06 June 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 1,606
Castanos (2) 1893 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 02 February 1905 wrecked off Hook of Holland. 2,958
Catrine 1940 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1956 sold to Wheelock & Marden, Hong Kong renamed Tove, 1963 sold to Panamanian Oriental renamed Tona, 1967 scrapped at Hirao. 5,218
Chas W Anderson 1890 built by Wigham, Richardson & Co., Newcastle upon Tyne | 1910 scrapped. 1,446
Collivaud (1) 1882 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 05 August 1886 wrecked Torrinana Africa Rock, near Cape Finisterre. 1,413
Collivaud (2) 1886 built by Bute Shipbuilding, Engineering & Drydock Co. Ltd., Cardiff | 1912 sold to New Line S.S. Co. (John Harrison) renamed Balham, 1923 sold to N. Fasano renamed San Antonio, 1924 renamed Fasano, 1925 sold to Barzilay renamed Vefa, 1934 sold to Sadikzade Nazim renamed Suat, 1956 scrapped at Fener. 1,369
Colstrup 1874 built by C.S. Swan & Co., Wallsend | ex- Colstrup, 1876 purchased from M.J. Almond, 1887 sold to T.E. Brigham, Newcastle, 07 February 1910 wrecked at Deauville sur Mer entrance and scrapped. 506
Cyfarthfa (1) 1880 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1904 sold to J.N. Gerrard, Norway renamed Germa, 24 November 1905 wrecked near Grahara. 1,167
Cyfarthfa (2) 1904 built by R. Craggs & Sons Ltd., Middlesborough | 11 April 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine near Cerigotto. 3,014
Dowlais (1) 1879 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 26 March 1880 wrecked off the Runnelstone. 1,093
Dowlais (2) 1880 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1917 sold to A.T. Jonasson, Sweden renamed Othalia, 1920 sold to A.D. Callinicos renamed Ionian, 15 August 1925 wrecked Buitra Point, E Cape Torinana. 1,174
Dowlais (3) 1904 built by R. Craggs & Sons Ltd., Middlesborough | 03 December 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine off Cape de Fer with the loss of 26 lives. 3,016
Ebbwvale 1881 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 09 November 1891 sunk in collision off the Goodwin Sands. 1,350
Ferncliffe 1883 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | ex- Ferncliffe, 1891 purchased from D.H. Morgan & Co., 1893 sold to P. Regier, Russia renamed Peter Regier, 1922 sold to La Francaise renamed Cilicie, 1924 sold to Biraderler renamed Alemdarzade Millet, 1924 renamed Yesilirmak, 1931 wrecked and scrapped. 1,481
Forest (1) 1880 built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton | 19 December 1887 wrecked on Bilbao bar. 1,167
Forest (2)   see Allende (1).  
Forest (3) 1937 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1951 sold to Stoomvaart Maatschappij Wijklijn (Erhardt & Dekkers), Rotterdam renamed Haulerwijk, 1958 sold to East Germany renamed Thomas Müntzer, 1968 sold to V. Haji Ioannou renamed Maritsa 2, 1969 sold to A.Matarangas renamed Othon, 1977 renamed Akropolis, 1978 scrapped. 4,998
Galdames 1878 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 20 March 1886 wrecked Ile de Sein. 853
Gardepee (1) 1882 built by Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | 1915 sold to C.A. Steward, 10 October 1916 sunk by submarine near North Cape. 1,685
Gardepee (2) 1925 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | 1927 renamed Treherbert, 1939 sold renamed Belcrest, 14 February 1941 torpedoed and sunk by Italian submarine Bianchi. 4,517
Goldcliffe 1883 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | ex- Goldcliffe, 1891 purchased from D.H. Morgan & Co., 10 August 1904 wrecked Briton Ferry and scrapped. 1,259
Gwentland 1881 built by J. Readhead & Sons Ltd., South Shields | 1907 sold to S.O. Stray & Co., Norway renamed Sonja, 1931 scrapped. 1,553
Hart 1898 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Hart built for Callender & H. White, 1890 purchased, 1907 scrapped. 1,367
Jersey (1) 1883 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1911 sold to T. Jack, Eire renamed Trostan, 1926 sold to J.N. Nilsson renamed Utklippan, 13 December 1942 sunk in collision near Gedser Reef. 1,627
Jersey (2) 1936 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | April 1942 mined and sunk at Atakah, Suez Bay 4,986
Jersey Dawn 1953 built by Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | 1956 sold to Scindia Steam Nav. Co., India renamed Jalogovind, 1970 sold to Vasha Cia. Nav., Greece renamed Stalo, 1974 sold renamed Thomas K, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 5,319
Jersey Hart 1943 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1945 sold to J.A. Billmeir not renamed, 1945 renamed Stanpark, 1951 sold to T. Dunlop & Sons, Glasgow renamed Queen Elanor, 1956 sold to Douglas Steamship Co., Hong Kong renamed Inchdouglas, 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,275
Jersey May 1944 built by Bethlehem-Fairfield Shipyard Inc., Baltimore | ex- Samluzon type Liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission and delivered to Ministry of War Transport, 1947 purchased renamed Jersey May, 1950 sold to Larrinaga S.S. Co., Liverpool, renamed Miguel de Larrinaga, 1956 sold to Cia. Mare Nostrum, Panama, Liberian flag (Goulandris Bros, London) renamed Tritonia, 1969 scrapped at Hong Kong. 7,210
Jersey Mist 1954 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1956 sold to Lake Atlin Shipping Co. renamed Lake Atlin, 1965 sold to Tharros Shipping Co. renamed Irene Xilas, 1974 sold renamed Irene’s Charity, 1978 scrapped at Shanghai. 7,835
Jersey Spray 1953 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1956 sold to Lake Pennask Shipping Co. renamed Lake Pennask, 1962 sold to Great Eastern Shipping Co. renamed Jag Rakshak, 1965 sold to J.D. Criticos renamed Dimitrakis, 1973 renamed Kim, 1975 sold to Li Ta Shipping Co. renamed Lita, 1977 renamed Lita 1, 1979 sold to Bective Shipping Corp. renamed Rita 1, 1983 scrapped at Jacarta. 5,488
Labarrouere 1880 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 25 November 1897 sank after collision off Trevose Head. 1,186
Lavernock 1888 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1916 sold to Allan Adams, 17 September 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine near Trevose Head 2,362
Leda 1888 built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton | 12 June 1896 wrecked near Bayonne. 1,192
Lesreaulx (1) 1880 built by Wm Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1899 sold to C.T. Gogstad & Co. renamed Leif, 1913 sold to H. Kuhnle renamed Norne, 26 March 1916 sunk by gunfire from submarine. 1,316
Lesreaulx (2) 1895 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1915 sold to Bay Steam Ship Co. renamed Bayreaulx, 1916 went missing at sea. 3,009
Lesreaulx (3) 1913 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Den of Ewnie built for Barrie & Nairn Den Line, 1916 sold to Johnston Line, Liverpool renamed Pinemore, 1922 Sold to Morel Ltd, Cardiff renamed Lesreaulx, 1928 sold to N.V. Scheepvaart Maatschappij Milingen (G.A. Spliethoff), Rotterdam renamed Calandplein, 1935 Sold to J.C. & A.C. Hadjipateras, Chios renamed Konstantinos Hadjipateras, 24 October 1939 Sunk by mine off Harwich on voyage Boston for Tyne with scrap iron, 4 lost. 4,645
Longueil 1882 built by Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | 1897 sold to R. Koppen, Germany renamed Albert Koppen, 1909 sold to A.A. Thore renamed Canadia, 23 December 1919 wrecked Eastham Pier, Manchester Ship Canal entrance. 1,711
Lyndhurst 1888 built by Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | 1912 sold to N.P. Swensson Sweden renamed Carl Henckel, 1917 sold to G. Carlsson renamed Alstern, 1919 sold to G. Sandstrom renamed Falco, 31 December 1919 wrecked Punta de Rizo. 2,025
Merthyr 1882 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1906 sold to E.B. Aaby, Norway renamed Orion, 01 March 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 1,354
Ninian Stuart 1883 built by Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | 1912 sold to G. Osterberg, Sweden renamed Gothia, 11 May 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine near Hartlepool. 1,880
Nolisement (1) 1915 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | ex- Nolisement, 1921 purchased from R.E. Morel & Co., 1927 sold to W. Seager renamed Darius, 1933 sold to P.A. Protopapas renamed Marika Protopapa, 1947 sold to Santelmo renamed Polac, 1954 sold to Toren renamed Balboa, 1959 scrapped at Savona. 4,447
Nolisement (2) 1928 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | 1950 sold to Hugo Stinnes, Hamburg renamed Gluckauf, 1953 lengthened 5,290gt, 1959 sold to Kvarnerska Plovidba renamed Kumrovec, 1966 scrapped at Split. 5,084
Parana 1899 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1916 sold to Durante & Barbot renamed Zulma, 1916 sold to H.J. Hansen renamed Hjortnes, 30 December 1921 wrecked Leksa and scrapped at Trondheim. 3,035
Penarth (1) 1882 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1892 renamed Treherbert, 1910 sold to Shamrock Shipping Co., Eire renamed Divis, 1925 sold to G.N. Pittas Bros & Co. renamed Darmas, 22 April 1941 bombed and sunk in Gulf of Patras. 1,648
Penarth (2) 1893 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 19 February 1894 wrecked near Pera in Black Sea. 3,109
Penarth (3) 1896 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 18 January 1915 wrecked Sheringham Shoal. 3,035
Pontypridd (1) 1883 built by Blyth Shipbuilding & Drydocks Co. Ltd., Blyth | 1915 sold to Leadenhall S.S. Co., 12 March 1917 mined and sunk with the loss of 3 lives. 1,681
Pontypridd (2) 1924 built by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Newcastle | 11 June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.94. 4,458
Portugalete (1) 1877 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 21 February 1882 wrecked on Rockham Shoal, Devon. 586
Portugalete (2) 1882 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 14 May 1901 wrecked Cape Menor. 1,510
Portugalete (3) 1901 built by J. Priestman, Sunderland | 1912 sold to G.N. Athanasulis, Greece renamed Nicolaos Athanasulis, 1937 sold to E.P. Nomikos renamed Panaghiotis, 1947 sold to Prora Cia Maritima SA, Panama renamed Megalochari, 29 April 1952 damaged by fire in Indian Ocean, 1954 scrapped at Savona. 3,568
Rhymney (1) 1882 built by Kish, Boolds, Sunderland | 03 January 1899 abandoned and foundered in Bay of Biscay. 1,302
Rhymney (2) 1912 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Southern built for Harris & Dixon, ex- Maasdijk 1915, 1922 purchased from Nederlandsch Amerikaansche Stoomvaart Mij. (HAL) renamed Rhymney, 1935 sold to C.A. Roberts renamed Macdonald, 1937 sold to Chang Shu Chang renamed Pei Foo, 1938 sold to Kitagawa Sangyo renamed Kitahoku Maru, 17 March 1940 wrecked. 4,769
St. Andrews 1914 built by Neptun A.G., Rostock | ex- Sofia built for Deutsche Levante Linie, 1919 allocated to Great Britain and to Morel Ltd renamed St. Andrews, 1925 sold to Woermann Linie, Hamburg renamed Wagogo, 1939 laid up at Lobito, later interned, 1943 sold to Portugal renamed Bailundo, 1949 sold to Turkey renamed Nadir, 1961 scrapped. 3,118
Tredegar 1882 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | 1908 sold to Urtiaga & Castillo, Spain renamed Cresalubi, 12 March 1921 wrecked Oporto Bay. 1,343
Treharris 1923 built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stockton | ex- Radnor, 1927 purchased from Cardigan Shipping Co. (J. Jenkins Sons & Co.) renamed Treharris, 1933 sold to A. Lauro, Naples renamed Aida Lauro, 01 July 1937 wrecked Castle Point, St Just. 4,576
Treherbert (1) 1883 built by Wm Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | 07 August 1887 wrecked off Buitra Point, Corcubion. 1,620
Treherbert (2)   see Penarth (1).  
Treherbert (3)   see Gardepee (2).  
Wenvoe 1894 built by Wm Gray & Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1915 sold to Bay Steam Ship Co. renamed Bayvoe, 09 January 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine with the loss of 4 lives. 2,979
Westergate 1891 built by Short Brothers Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Westergate, 1895 purchased from Weatherley & H. Mead, 1915 sold London owner not renamed, 21 April 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine near Start Point to. 1,942
Wyndcliffe 1889 built by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton on Tees | ex- Wyndcliffe, 1891 purchased from D.H. Morgan & Co., 1892 sold to W.S. Bailey, Hull renamed Denia, 1899 sold to F.M. Picardi renamed Ludovico S, 1907 sold to Bank of Athens renamed Zafirios Matsas, 1914 sold to F.K. Kronberg renamed Sundsvall, 1915 sold to H. Kuhnle renamed Harde, 1922 sold to Maltezeanu & V renamed Monica, 1924 sold to Alexatos Bros renamed Phedon, 25 March 1933 wrecked Monjoy Bay, near Rosas. 1,951

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: January 29, 2010 and maintained by and M. Kohli