FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Moore & McCormack Company, New York (1913-1982)

Moore & McCormack Company was formed the in 1913 by Albert V. Moore of Hackensack, N.J. and Emmet J. McCormack of Brooklyn, N.Y.
In 1913 the service was started with the chartered ship MONTARA built in 1881. In 1914 two Great Lakes ships were purchased, the wooden hulled engines aft GETTYSBURG of 1887 which was renamed BARNSTABLE and the steel built JESSE E. SPAULDING which was renamed MOOREMACK.
Before World War I, the United States depended on foreign ships to transport most of its international commerce. The new Mooremack service was a bold challenge to this pattern. By 1917 passenger service was added. In the 15 sailings that year, new Brazilian ports were visited. Two years later the NANTAHALA introduced the Mooremack house flag as far south as Buenos Aires. In 1916 the Company was known as Moore & McCormack Co. Inc.

With the chartering of the ss SAGA from Svenska Lloyd, the Company gained control of its first passenger vessel, later followed by more chartered Swedish ships, ANGLIA, GRAECIA, FAGER, MALM and CALABRIA. BeforeWorld War 1 was over, there were 15 sailings annually to South America.
With victory, the U.S. Government was determined to establish an adequate merchant marine and American companies were offered the operation of some of the 2,311 war-built merchant ships.
Services were established to the Levant and India, to Ireland and Egypt, to the Balkans and North Africa. The Company also played a major role in Herbert Hoover‘s food relief program through the handling of food shipments to Baltic countries and Russia and the first American flag service was established to Russian ports for the Government owned American Scantic Line.
In 1927 Moore & McCormack purchased the American Scantic Line with six Hog Island built ships from the United States Shipping Board.
The Company also developed the Mooremack Gulf Line in 1928 to move melons, oranges and other perishables from Gulf ports to waiting northern markets, the ships employed in this trade were mainly ships built at the Great Lakes with the prefix COMMERCIAL. Simultaneously, sailings continued to South America.
On March 14, 1932, the Company launched an extensive fleet modernization program involving the conversation of four Hog Island vessels into modern passenger ships for the American Scantic Line.

The Merchant Marine Act of 1936 provided for a well-balanced American Merchant Marine to foster and develop the commerce of the United States. The first new cargo vessel constructed under this act came to Moore McCormack Lines as MORMACPORT (ex- SEA FOX) followed by the MORMACYORK. In December 1938 a contract was placed for another four motor ships and another two steamships were ordered in January 1939, with a repeat pair in October 1939, these ships were all of the standard C3 design.
In September of 1938, the Company officially became Moore McCormack Lines, Incorporated.

In 1938 a by the Maritime’s Commission subsidised service the American Republics Line from New York to the East Coast of South America was started with three ex Panama Pacific Line passenger vessels the ARGENTINA (ex PENNSYLVANIA), BRAZIL (ex- VIRGINIA) and URUGUAY (ex- CALIFORNIA) and inaugurated the famous Good Neighbor Fleet, also a number of cargo ships were purchased for this service, the ships were owned by the US Government and managed by Moore McCormack with the Moore McCormack funnel and houseflag.
In 1939 more ships of the standard C3 design were ordered.

Through a purchase agreement with the United States Maritime Commission in 1940, Moore-McCormack Lines acquired the Pacific Republics Line service. The Company launched the operation with seven ships.
Ships in this service cover ports on the Pacific Coast of the United States and Canada from Vancouver to Los Angeles. In transiting the Panama Canal, they call at Panama and the Canal Zone, then serve Northern Columbia and Venezuela before paralleling the route of the American Republics Line to Barbados, Trinidad, Brazil, Uruguay and Argentina. The ships usually return via the Straits of Magellan with a stop en route at Callao, Peru.
The Pacific Republics Line Service had been in operation only a short period when it was interrupted by World War II. The first of eleven Mooremack ships lost through enemy action was the COLLAMER, a Pacific Republics cargo liner.
Re-established after the War, this service was stepped up in 1957 when Mooremack acquired the Pacific Argentine Brazil Line of Pope & Talbot Inc. and its four modern cargo ships, this service was established in 1940 and had been running parallel with the Pacific Republics Line, the four ships taken over were of the C3-S-A2 type.

The entire Mooremack fleet was placed at the disposal of the nation‘s defence establishment immediately after Pearl Harbor.
During the war, the Company was assigned responsibility for the operation of 707 different vessels, 2,199 different voyages and the movement of over 20,400,000 tons of vital war cargo to every theatre of the war. Ships in the Company‘s pre-war fleet became baby flat-tops, destroyer and submarine tenders, cargo attack ships, troop transports and performed many other war services. Moore McCormack lost altogether eleven ships during the conflict.

After World War II Moore McCormack acquired six C2-S-B1 standard ships in 1947 for the South American run, followed by a number of C3-S-A2 standard ships and later seven more C3-S-A5 type’s were completed between May 1946 and January 1947 for Moore McCormack, three for the Baltic Trade and the remainder for the South American run.
Four Victory type standard ships were also purchased in 1947, later in 1951 another Victory was purchased and one T2-SE-A1 tanker (PEQUOT HILL) which was renamed MORMACFUEL and stayed in the fleet till 1965.

Moore McCormack Lines established a four-continent American-flag shipping service in 1957 when Robin Line of the Seas Shipping Co. Inc. was acquired by the Company, of the twelve ships eight were taken over by Moore McCormack, the other four went to Jakob Isbrantsen of New York. The ships kept their ROBIN names.
Founded in 1935, the Robin Line offered cargo service from Atlantic ports of the United States to South and East Africa. Ports served range from Cape Frio on the Atlantic around the Cape of Good Hope to Mogadishu on the Indian Ocean. These ships also serve the Malagasy Republic, Zanzibar and other Indian Ocean islands.

PosterIn 1958 the luxurious new passenger ships, ARGENTINA and BRASIL, with speeds of 23 knots or better, replaced the older and slower liners in the popular passenger route to Rio de Janeiro, Santos, Montevideo and Buenos Aires. At the same time Mooremack embarked on an extensive fleet replacement program of new modern cargo ships.

Moore McCormack began a vessel replacement program in 1956. Fourteen new ships comprised the first wave which was completed in 1965. The freighters were essentially bigger and faster versions of existing ones.
The ARGENTINA and BRAZIL were not a big success due to coming of the jet passenger plane and were laid up in 1969.
The company realized that containers were the future, but the realization was not easily acted upon because Moore McCormack did not want to get burned with containers, as happened to the Grace Line in Venezuela in 1960. The majority of the company‘s business was in South America and Africa areas that, because of their rudimentary transportation and port systems, placed containers at least 10 and probably 20 years into the future. Thus Moore McCormack needed a highly versatile vessel that could readily adapt to general cargo, containers, and Roll on/Roll off vehicles (Ro/Ro), without forgetting special defence measures particularly important in the Vietnam War period. The unique design Moore McCormack created provided for false decks and the closing or opening of special hatches so that the vessel could increase its capacity of either container or Roll on/Roll off vehicles. The ships were quite well suited to the African and South American trades, but when Moore McCormack launched the first regular container route to Europe in February 1966 (two months before Malcolm McLean's Sea-Land) the higher cargo-handling expenses in European ports ate away almost all of the profits.

When the North Atlantic rate war erupted early in 1970, Moore McCormack had nothing to fall back on. The combination freighter-container-Ro/Ro vessels were simply no match for the European lines, which, running bigger and faster full containerships with fat profit margins, could afford to ride out a long rate war. In a few months it was all over for Moore McCormack the company abandoned the North Atlantic service, and even after selling the four vessels to American Export Lines, it still suffered a $17 million loss in 1970.
The company was on the verge of collapse, but in 1972 the sale of its two passenger liners, ARGENTINA and BRASIL for cruise purposes to Holland America Line brought a much needed cash infusion that allowed the company to revive.
Since February 1971, the company had been under the leadership of a new president, James R. Barker, who had learned well the lesson of other steamship companies that corporate survival depended upon diversification away from the highly risky and volatile shipping business. Diversification began in 1964, but Barker made it his primary goal. He sold 20 overage vessels from the fleet, and kept only the most modern and efficient ships running on the South American and African services and the Company became Moore McCormack Resources. Three tankers in July 1973 were ordered for operation in the domestic routes and were chartered to carry Alaska oil.
In 1973 the Moore-McCormack Bulk Transport Inc. was established to operate their tanker interests and this continued to operate until early 1987 when it was sold to the ex chairman of the company, James R. Barker, who set up Mormac Marine Group Inc., and was renamed Mormac Marine Transport Inc. Moore & McCormack Resources Inc. continued as a ship operator, albeit of one vessel only, until going bankrupt in 1998.

The no less solid Africa route was ignored until the opportunity appeared to consolidate the service with the other U.S. flag line sailing to Africa in 1980, with the purchase of Farrell‘s two 15-year old U.S. flag freighters (AUSTRAL PILOT and AUSTRAL PATRIOT) previously on that route and Moore McCormack became the sole U.S. flag service from New York to South and East Africa.
In 1980, 4 of its fleet of 13 ships serving South America and Africa were lengthened to handle a larger number of containers, but the company remembering how badly it had been burned with containers in the 1970 North Atlantic rate war, was still sceptical, so as Latin America finally entered the container age, Moore McCormack was a reluctant participant.
The losses of the parent company began to pile up from 1981, and Barker desperately sought to sell off assets while buyers could still be found. Malcolm McLean of the United States Lines purchased the fleet and routes of Moore McCormack in December 1982 and merged it into its own operations and being renamed United States Lines (S.A.) Inc.

The United States Lines did not long survive Moore McCormack, in 1986 they went bankrupt and filed for protection from its creditors and its surviving ships were sold or scrapped.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • US East Coast ports to East Coast ports South America (ARL)
    • US East Coast ports to Scandinavian ports, Baltic ports and Northern Europe (ASL)
    • US East Coast ports to Panama and US West Coast ports (PRL)
    • US East Coast ports to Gulf of Mexico ports (MGL)
    • US East Coast ports to South African ports (ARL)

Abbreviations:
  ARL:    American Republics Line
  ASL:     American Scantic Line
  PRL:     Pacific Republics Line
  MM:     Moore & McCormack
  Marad:  Maritime Administration
  NDRF:  National Defence Reserve Fleet
  MGL:    Mooremack Gulf Line
  RFF:      Ready Reserve Force

Funnels & Flags:

Funnel Funnel Flag Flag
Fleet:       Mooremacks Gulf
(of Mexico) Line
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Argentina (1) 1920 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | ex- Pennsylvania built for Panama Pacific Line, 1937 to United States Maritime Commission rebuilt one funnel to MM in ARL service and renamed Argentina, 1963 sold for demolition and scrapped in 1964. 20,614
Argentina (2) 1958 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | 1969 laid up, 1972 sold to Holland America Line renamed Veendam, 1974 laid up, 1974 renamed Brasil, 1975 renamed Veendam, 1976 renamed Monarch Star 15,632 gt, 1978 renamed Veendam, 1981 23,819 gt, 1984 sold to Bermuda Cruise Line, Panama renamed Bermuda Star 14,208 gt, 1990 sold to Commodore Cruise Line, Panama renamed Enchanted Isle, 1993 renamed Commodore Hotel, 1994 renamed Enchanted Isle, 2001 laid up, 2002 sold for demolition, 2003 scrapped at Alang. 14,984
Argosy 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Launched as Cassanova but completed as Argosy built for United States Shipping Board, 1926 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1938 renamed Mormacsun, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Goncalves Dias, 24th May 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.502. 5,620
Barnstable 1867 built by J. Craig, Trenton, Michigan | ex- Gettysburg, 1916 purchased from Alger Smith & Co., Detroit renamed Barnstable, 13th September 1919 foundered 14nm SE Tybee Light, Georgia. 1,358
Bird City 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Shepaug but completed as Bird City built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanpenn, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Buarque, 1st February 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.432 off Cape Hatteras. 5,562
Brasil (1) 1928 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | ex- Virginia built for Panama Pacific Line, 1937 to United States Maritime Commission rebuilt one funnel to MM in ARL service and renamed Brasil, 1960 laid up, 1964 scrapped. 20,614
Brasil (2) 1958 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | 1969 laid up, 1972 sold to Holland America Line renamed Volendam, 1973 rebuilt 23,395 gt, 1974 laid up, 1975 renamed Monarch Sun, 1976 15,631 gt, 1978 renamed Volendam 15.334 gt, 1982 23.858 gt, 1983 sold to Banstead Shipping, Panama renamed Island Sun, 1985 sold to American Hawaii Cruises renamed Liberte, 1987 sold to Bermuda Star Line, Panama renamed Canada Star, 1988 renamed Queen of Bermuda, 1990 sold to Commodore Cruise Line, Panama renamed Enchanted Seas, 1995 renamed Universe Explorer, 2004 sold for demolition to India as Universe. 15,257
Carplaka 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Carplaka built for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1936 transferred to Mooremack Gulf Lines renamed Southlure, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Tiradentes, 13th February 1945 lost in a collision. 5,620
Casper 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Shebamock but completed as Casper built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 14th December 1928 wrecked off Helsinki. 5,753
Chickasaw 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania } Laid down as Clairette but completed as Chickasaw built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanmail, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Cayru, 8th March 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.94 south off Long Island. 5,590
City of Fairbury 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Sheshequin but completed as City of Fairbury built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1938 renamed Mormacport, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Tamandare, 16th July 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.66. 5,753
Cliffwood 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Cliffwood built for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1939 renamed Mormacsea, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Commandante Pessoa, 1954 wrecked near Cabo Sao Roque. 4,955
Collamer 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Collamer built for United States Shipping Board, 1940 assigned to PRL, 5th March 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.404. 5,112
Commercial Alabaman   see Commercial Mariner.  
Commercial Bostonian 1919 built by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ashtabula, Ohio | ex- Lake Elkwater built for United States Shipping Board assigned to MGL 1940 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Ozorio, 27th September 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.514 with the loss of 5 lives. 2,730
Commercial Courier 1903 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Portonia built for Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck, ex- Yucca 1917, 1924 purchased from US Government renamed Commercial Courier assigned to MGL, 1928 laid up, 1930 sold to C. Sigalas, Pireaus, Greece renamed Christos Sigalas, 17th December 1930 foundered in Atlantic. 2,778
Commercial Floridian 1920 built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corp., Manitowoc, WI. | ex- Lake Haresti built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Osceola, 1929 purchased assigned to MGL renamed Commercial Floridan, 1937 sold to USSR renamed Schors. 2,606
Commercial Guide 1910 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | ex- Esslingen built for Deutsch Australische DG, 1914 interned Manila, 1917 seized by USA renamed Nyanza, 1923 sold to Moore McCormack Lines renamed Commercial Guide assigned to MGL, 1936 sold to Italy renamed Paolina, 27th August 1942 mined and sunk. 4,897
Commercial Mariner 1920 built by American Shipbuilding Co., Toledo Ohio | ex- Lake Filson built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Rushville, 1927 purchased assigned to MGL renamed Commercial Mariner, 1938 renamed Commercial Alabaman, 1938 sold to USSR renamed Kamchatneft-Razvedka, 1945 mined and sunk. 2,606
Commercial Navigator 1919 built by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland Ohio | ex- Lake Farber built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 York SS Co., N.Y. 1928 renamed Commercial Navigator, Commercial Courier SS Co., (Moore & McCormack Co.) N.Y. 1931 assigned to MGL. 1938 sold to USSR renamed Chapaev, 1941 mined and sunk. 2,638
Commercial Orleanian 1919 built by Great Lakes Engineering Works, Ashtabula, Ohio | ex- Lake Elmhurst built for United States Shipping Board, ex- City of Albany 1926, 1929 purchased from Ocean Steamship Company of Savannah, assigned to MGL renamed Commercial Orleanian, 1938 sold to USSR renamed Sahalinneft, 1945 renamed Moskalvo, 1960 deleted from Register. 2,674
Commercial Pathfinder 1906 built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle | ex- Serapis built for DGG Kosmos, 1917 seized by US Government renamed Osage, 1920 purchased from United States Shipping Board renamed Commercial Pathfinder assigned to MGL, 1928 sold to N.E.A. Moller, Shanghai renamed Erica Moller, 1946 sold to C.Y. Tung renamed Chong Lee, 1954 scrapped. 4,683
Commercial Pilot (1) 1906 built by Eiderwerft AG, Tönning | ex- Maia built for Holm & Molzen, Flensburg, Germany, 1914 interned at New York, 1917 seized by US Government renamed Oconee, 1922 sold to Moore & McCormack renamed Commercial Pilot assigned to MGL, 21st January 1922 stranded and lost off Cuba. 2,555
Commercial Pilot (2) 1904 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- St. Croix built for Vestindiske Kompagni, Copenhagen, 1905 transferred to East Asiatic Compagnie, 1907 sold to Hamburg America Line renamed Sachsenwald, 1917 seized by USA Government renamed General O.H. Ernst, 1922 transferred to Panama Railroad Co. same name, 1927 sold to Moore & MacCormack renamed Commercial Pilot assigned to MGL, 1928 sold to Chile renamed Condor, 1936 sold renamed Indus B.F., 1943 sold renamed Penco, 1949 scrapped. 3,359
Commercial Pioneer 1919 built by Globe Shipbuilding Co., Superior | ex- Lake Gunni built for United States Shipping Board, 1933 purchased renamed Commercial Pioneer assigned to MGL, 1938 scrapped at Philadelphia. 2,686
Commercial Quaker 1920 built by Manitowoc Shipbuilding Corp., Manitowoc, WI. | Laid down as Lake Galva completed as Ripon built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Malsah 1926, 1928 purchased assigned to MGL renamed Commercial Quaker, 1938 sold to USSR renamed Indigirka, 1939 lost. 2,606
Commercial Scout 1902 built by Rickmers Werft, Bremerhaven | ex- Andree Rickmers built for Rickmers Rhederei, 1906 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd renamed Locksun, 1917 seized by USA renamed Gulfport, 1922 sold to Moore McCormack Co. renamed Commercial Scout assigned to MGL, 1924 sold to Hong Kong renamed Lok Sun, 14th July 1929 stranded and destroyed by fire. 1,654
Commercial Spirit 1920 built by Todd Drydock & Construction Corp., Tacoma | ex- Hoboken, ex- Patmos 1920, 1922 purchased renamed Commercial Spirit assigned to MGL, 1929 sold to C. Nelson Co. renamed Charles Nelson, 1936 sold to Swayne & Holt (Gulf Pacific Line) renamed Point Vincente, 26th March 1939 stranded at Bona Island, refloated and dismantled at Balboa, scuttled. 4,744
Commercial Trader (1) 1905 built by Sir W.G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle on Tyne | ex- Setos built for DGG Kosmos, 1914 interned at Honolulu, 1917 seized by US Government renamed Itasca, 1919 to Honolulu Steamship Co. Inc, San Francisco renamed Honolulu, 1923 sold to Moore & McCormack renamed Commercial Trader assigned to MGL, 1934 scrapped. 4,730
Commercial Trader (2) 1920 built by Detroit Shipbuilding Corp., Detroit | ex- Lake Tippah built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Delaware River 1925, 1939 purchased renamed Commercial Trader assigned to MGL, 16th September 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.558 with the loss of 9 lives. 2,606
Commercial Traveler (1) 1920 built by Todd Drydock & Construction Corp., Tacoma | ex- Red Hook, 1922 purchased renamed Commercial Traveler assigned to MGL, 1929 sold to C. Nelson Co. renamed Nelson Traveler, 1936 sold to Swayne & Holt (Gulf Pacific Line) renamed Point Estero, 1939 sold renamed Estero, 1941 sold to Yamashita Kisen, Japan renamed Naruo Maru, 12th November 1944 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 4,743
Commercial Traveler (2) 1813 built by Wm Hamilton & Co. Ltd, Port Glasgow | ex- Crofton Hall, 1933 purchased from C.G.Dunn & Co. Ltd, Liverpool renamed Commercial Traveler assigned to MGL, 1934 sold renamed Cucuta, 1957 scrapped at Hamburg. 5,774
Conehatta 1920 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Conehatta built for United States Shipping Board, 1929 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1st November 1929 wrecked near Hornefos, Sweden. 5,620
Culberson 1920 built by Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydock Corp., San Pedro, Calif. | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1938 renamed Mormacmar, 1945 to USSR renamed Belinsky, 1945 returned to USA, 1946 scrapped. 5,453
Donald McKay 1939 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C2, January 1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Polaris, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission reverted to Donald McKay, 1948 reacquired by US Navy, 1957 to Marad Reserve, Suisun Bay, September 1974 sold for demolition at Oakland, Cal. 6,160
Flying Fish 1940 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey Standard ship type C2, 1940 renamed Mormacswan, 1958 to Marad Reserve, Hudson River, February 1971 scrapped at Bilbao. 6,160
Lightning 1939 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C2, 1940 renamed Mormactern, 1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Mercury, 1959 to Reserve Fleet, Beamont, 1975 scrapped. 6,160
Minnequa 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | Planned as Shinnecock but completed as Minnequa built for United States Shipping Board, 1927 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1938 renamed Mormacstar, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Barroso, 1960’s scrapped. 5,165
Mooremack 1899 built by F.W. Wheeler, West Bay City | ex- Jesse E. Spaulding, 1916 purchased from Spalding Lumber Co., Chicago renamed Mooremack, 1918 sold renamed Vindal, 1923 sold renamed Cordova, 1925 sold converted into a dredger renamed Jay C. Pearson, 1935 sold renamed Rockwood, 1963 scrapped at Ashtabula. 1,043
Mormacaltair 1964 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Type C4-S-60a, 1982-1983 lengthened, 1983 to United States Lines renamed American Altair, 1988 to RRF renamed Green Mountain State. 10,484
Mormacargo 1964 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Type C4-S-60a, 1982-1983 lengthened, 1983 to United States Lines renamed American Argo, 1986 sold to Lykes Brothers renamed Stella Lykes, 1989 to NDRF renamed Magallanes, 2006 scrapped. 10,484
Mormacbay 1960 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | 1981 to NDRF renamed Bay, 1981 renamed Vega, 1994 deleted from Register. 9,308
Mormaccape 1960 built by Todd, San Pedro | 1983 to RFF renamed Cape ,1989 renamed Cape Catawba. 9,316
Mormaccove 1962 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | 1977 to NDRF renamed Cove, 1980 renamed Northern Light. 9,488
Mormacdale 1942 built by Pennylvania Shipyards Inc., Beamont, Texas | Standard ship type C1-A, 1959 to Marad Reserve, James River, February 1975 scrapped at Philadelphia. 5,028
Mormacdawn (1) 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Gull, February 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacdawn (2) 1965 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | ex- American Resolute built for United States Lines, ex- Austral Patriot, 1969, 1980 purchased from Farrell Lines renamed Mormacdawn, 1980 transferred to USL not renamed, 2004 scrapped. 11,202
Mormacdove (1) 1939 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C2, 1941 taken over by US Navy as a cargo ship renamed Alchiba, 1948 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Tjipanas and allocated to KJCPL (Royal Interocean Lines), 1967 sold to Singapore renamed Tong Jit,1973 scrapped at Whampoa. 6,343
Mormacdove (2) 1942 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California | Standard ship type C1-B, 1943 completed as a troop transport ship, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, February 1965 scrapped at Kearny. 6,750
Mormacdove (3) 1944 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Ringleader standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacdove, November 1968 scrapped at Tacoma, Wash. 6,085
Mormacdraco 1964 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Type C4-S-60a, 1976 lengthened, 1983 to United States Lines renamed American Draco, 1988 to RRF renamed Beaver State. 10,484
Mormacelm 1945 built by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, Oregon | ex- Coffeyville Victory, standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacelm, 1970 scrapped in Hong Kong. 7,612
Mormacfir 1945 built by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, Oregon | ex- Dothan Victory, standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormafir, 1970 sold to Superb Mariners S.A., Panama renamed Superfina, 1972 scrapped in Taiwan. 7,612
Mormacfuel 1943 built by Kaiser Company, Swan Island Yard, Portland, Oregon | ex- Pequot Hill standard ship type T2-SE-A1, tanker built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacfuel, 1965 sold renamed Cleveland, 1970 sold for scrap, 1971 scrapped. 10,448
Mormacglen 1960 built by Todd, San Pedro | 1980 to United States Lines not renamed, scrapped. 9,316
Mormacguide 1944 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | ex- Sitka standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 P & T Trader, 1957 purchased from Pope & Talbot renamed Mormacguide, 1964 sold renamed American Condor, August 1976 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,980
Mormacgulf (1) 1942 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Laid down for MM standard ship type C3-S-A2, taken over by US Navy rebuilt into an escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Chaser, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1948 sold to Vereenigde Nederlandsche Scheepvaartmaatschappij (VNS) rebuilt into a cargo ship renamed Aagtekerk, 1967 sold to Chinese Maritime Trust, Taiwan renamed E. Yung, 1972 damaged by fire off Kaohsiung , 1973 wreck scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,898
Mormacgulf (2) 1945 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. Standard ship type C3-S-A5, August 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacgull (1) 1939 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C2, 1941 taken over by US Navy as a cargo ship renamed Alcyone, 1947 sold to Johnson Line, Sweden renamed Star Alcyone, March 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,531
Mormacgull (2) 1943 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California Standard ship type C1-B, 1946 renamed Mormacreed, 1959 to Marad Reserve, James River, August 1970 scrapped at La Spezia. 6,750
Mormachawk (1) 1939 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C2, January 1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Arcturus, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commision, 1947 sold to Johnson Line, Sweden renamed Star Arcturus, September 1971 scrapped at Tadotsu. 6,523
Mormachawk (2) 1942 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California | Standard ship type C1-B, completed as a troop transport ship, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, March 1964 scrapped at Portland. 6,750
Mormachawk (3) 1945 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Queen of the Seas standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormachawk, 1964 to Marad, November 1968 scrapped at Portland. 6,085
Mormacisle 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Ibis, May 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormackite 1945 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Wild Rover standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormackite, 7th October 1954 capsized and sank in high winds and heavy seas in a storm 140 miles off Cape Henry. 6,085
Mormaclake 1961 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | 1977 to NDRF renamed Lake. 9,207
Mormacland (1) 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C3, 1941 taken over by US Navy rebuilt into an escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Archer, 1945 transferred to Ministry of War Transport renamed Empire Lagan, 1946 reverted as Archer to USA, 1948 sold to Sven Salen and converted into a cargo ship renamed Anna Salen, later converted into the carrying of emigrants, 1955 sold to Cia. Nav. Tasmania S.A., Greece renamed Tasmania, 1961 sold to China Union Lines renamed Union Reliance and converted into a cargo ship, 7th November 1961 heavy damaged in collision and scrapped in 1962. 7,900
Mormacland (2) 1942 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. Laid down for MM standard ship type C3-S-A2, taken over by US Navy rebuilt into an escort carrier renamed St. George, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Pursuer, March 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1946 scrapped. 7,898
Mormacland (3) 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Swan, February 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormaclark (1) 1939 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C2, 1941 taken over by US Navy as a cargo ship renamed Betelgeuse, 1947 sold to Johnson Line, Sweden renamed Star Betelgeuze, May 1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,525
Mormaclark (2) 1943 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California Standard ship type C1-B, 1959 to Marad Reserve, James River, July 1970 scrapped at Bilbao. 6,750
Mormaclynx 1964 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Type C4-S-60a, 1982-1983 lengthened, 1983 to United States Lines renamed American Reservist, 1987 to National Defence Reserve Fleet not renamed and scrapped. 10,484
Mormacmail (1) 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C3, 1941 taken over by US Navy and converted into an escort carrier renamed Long Island, 1946 laid up, 1947 sold to Portland Oregon Shipbreakers and resold in 1948 to Caribbean Land & Shipping Corp., Colon and converted into a passenger ship renamed Nelly, 1953 renamed Seven Seas, 1956 sold to Europe Canada GmbH (Holland America Line), Germany, 1966 sold as a student hostel at Rotterdam, later to Verolme United Shipyards as a hostel ship, 1977 scrapped at Ghent, Belgium. 7,886
Mormacmail (2) 1942 built by Seattle Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp., Seattle | Laid down for MM standard ship type C3-S-A1, launched and taken over by US Navy rebuilt into an escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed HMS Tracker, 1945 returned to United States Maritime Commission, 1948 sold to Cia Argentina de Nav. Dodero and converterd into a passenger ship renamed Corrientes, 1964 laid up, 1964 scrapped. 7,898
Mormacmail (3) 1942 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Laid down for MM standard ship type C3-S-A1, taken over by US Navy rebuilt into an escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Battler, March 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, June 1949 scrapped. 7,898
Mormacmail (4) 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to States Marine International Inc., New York renamed North Star State, 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacmar (1)   see Culberson.  
Mormacmar (2) 1943 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Laid down as Sea Eagle but completed as Custer standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1948 purchased renamed Mormacmar, 1966 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Ana, January 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,007
Mormacmoon (1) 1940 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Exchester standard ship type C3 built for American Export Lines, 1940 to Moore McCormack renamed Mormacmoon, 1958 returned to US Government (Marad) and laid up, 1961 Wabash, 1965 Evanthie, 1969 scrapped at Hong Kong. 7,939
Mormacmoon (2) 1965 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | ex- American Rover built for United States Lines, ex- Austral Pilot 1969, 1980 purchased from Farrell Lines renamed Mormacmoon, 1983 reverted to USL renamed American Moon, 1987 to ? renamed Mormacmoon, 2004 scrapped. 11,202
Mormacoak 1944 built by Permanente Metals Corporation, Yard No.1, Richmond, California } ex- Australia Victory, standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacoak, 1969 sold for demolition renamed Oak, 1970 scrapped in Taiwan. 7,612
Mormacowl 1944 built by Western Pipe & Steel Co., San Francisco | ex- White Swallow standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacowl, 1965 sold renamed Old Westbury, July 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,085
Mormacpenn (1) 1941 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Laid down as Sea Swallow but completed as Mormacpenn standard type C3, 1941 taken over by US Navy as a cargo ship renamed Markab, 1942 converted into a destroyer tender, 1947 to US Navy Reserve, 1952 back in service, 1955 to to US Navy Reserve, January 1960 recommissioned as a repair ship, 1976 sold probably scrapped. 7,898
Mormacpenn (2) 1942 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Laid down for MM standard ship type C3-S-A2, taken over by US Navy rebuilt into an escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Hunter, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1948 sold to Holland America Line rebuilt into a cargo ship renamed Almdijk, 1953 renamed Almdyk, November 1965 scrapped at Valencia. 7,898
Mormacpenn (3) 1946 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Lark, April 1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,909
Mormacpine 1945 built by Oregon Shipbuilding Corporation, Portland, Oregon | ex- Brown Victory, standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacpine, 1970 scrapped in Taiwan. 7,612
Mormacport (1)   see City of Fairbury.  
Mormacport (2) 1940 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | ex- Sea Fox United States Maritime Commision, 1940 to MM renamed Mormacport, 1943 converted into a troop transport ship, 1946 reverted to MM, 1958 to Marad, 1961 sold renamed Transyork, 1969 sold renamed Buckeye Atlantic, February 1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,773
Mormacport (3)   see Mormacsun (2).  
Mormacpride 1960 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Type C3-S-33A, 1977 to NDRF renamed Pride, 2007 scrapped. 9,308
Mormacreed   see Mormacgull (2).  
Mormacrey (1)   see West Calumb.  
Mormacrey (2) 1944 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | ex- Griggs standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1948 purchased renamed Mormacrey, 1966 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Alicia, 1973 scrapped. 7,980
Mormacrigel 1965 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Type C4-S-60a, 1982-1983 lengthened, 1983 to United States Lines renamed American Rigel, 1986 sold to Lykes Brothers renamed Mallory Lykes, to NDRF renamed Corpus Christi, later scrapped. 10,484
Mormacrio (1)   see West Selene.  
Mormacrio (2) 1945 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | ex- William Harris Hardy standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacrio, 1970 sold renamed Silver Owl, July 1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,980
Mormacsaga (1) 1947 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3-S-A5, 1970 sold to Oswego Shipping Co., Inc. (Marine Transport Lines Inc.), New York renamed Silver Dove, 2nd April 1973 sank in Pacific. 7,909
Mormacsaga (2) 1962 built by National Steel & Shipbuilding Co., San Diego. | Type C4-S-1U, ex- M.M. Dant, 1976 purchased from States Steamship Co., renamed Mormacsaga, 1983 sold to United States Line renamed American Saga, 1985 to Ready Reserve Force renamed Cape Johnson. 12,724
Mormacscan 1961 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Type C3-S-33A, 1977 to NDRF renamed Scan, 2007 scrapped. 9,315
Mormacsea (1)   see Cliffwood.  
Mormacsea (1) 1941 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Sea Panther standard type C3-M built for United States Maritime Commision, 1941 to MM renamed Mormacsea, 2nd September 1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship, 1946 returned to MM, 1959 to Marad, October 1968 scrapped at Baltimore. 7,886
Mormacsea (2) 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Type C5-S-78a, 1970 sold to American Export Lines renamed Defiance, 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1982 to United States Lines renamed American Rover, 1983 to NDRF renamed Rover, 1993 scrapped at Alang. 11,757
Mormacsea (3) 1962 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | Type C4-S-1U, ex- Hawaii, 1977 purchased from States Steamship Co., renamed Mormacsea, 1980 to National Defence Reserve not renamed, 1985 to Ready Reserve Force renamed Cape Juby. 12,692
Mormacsky (1) 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Type C5-S-78a, 1970 sold to American Export Lines renamed Great Republic, 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1986 to US Government renamed T-AVB 2 Curtiss. 11,757
Mormacsky (2) 1977 built by National Steel & Shipbuilding Co., San Diego. | Tanker, to Moore McCormack Bulk Transport Inc., 1987 to Mormac Marine Group Inc,. 2003 scrapped. 22,354
Mormacspruce 1945 built by Permanente Metals Corporation, Yard No.2, Richmond, California | ex- Muncie Victory, standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP3 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1951 purchased renamed Mormaspruce, 1955 sold renamed Black Dragon, 1957 sold to Cia. Mar. Unidas, Liberia renamed Tappanzee, 1959 sold to Central Gulf S.S. Corp., New Orleans renamed Green Island, 1962 rebuilt to 9,465 gt and lengthened, 1971 scrapped in Taiwan. 7,612
Mormacstar (1)   see Minnequa.  
Mormacstar (2) 1941 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | Standard ship type C3-E, launched as Sea Star but completed as Mormacstar, September 1942 completed conversion into a troop transport ship renamed Elizabeth C. Stanton, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1946 reverted to MM renamed Mormacstar, 1961 sold renamed Jacqueline Someck, 1964 National Seafarer, November 1967 scrapped at Mukaishima. 7,773
Mormacstar (3) 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Type C5-S-78a, 1970 sold to American Export Lines renamed Red Jacket, 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1987 to US Government (NDRF) renamed Cape Nome. 11,757
Mormacstar (4) 1975 built by National Steel & Shipbuilding Co., San Diego. | Tanker, to Moore McCormack Bulk Transport Inc., 1987 to Mormac Marine Group Inc. 2001 scrapped. 22,354
Mormacsul   see The Angeles.  
Mormacsun (1)   see Argosy.  
Mormacsun (2) 1941 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | Standard ship type C3-M, September 1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship by US Navy renamed Florence Nightingale, May 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1946 back in service for ASL, 1953 sold renamed Japan Transport, 1960 sold renamed Texas, 1966 to Marad, November 1970 scrapped at Portland, Ore. 7,898
Mormacsun (3) 1943 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Laid down as Sea Hound but completed as Du Page standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1947 P & T Pathfinder, 1957 purchased from Pope & Talbot renamed Mormacsun, 1963 renamed Mormacport, 1964 sold to Central Gulf Steamship Corp. New Orleans renamed Green Port, 1967 sold to States Marine Lines renamed Pine Tree State, 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,950
Mormacsun (4) 1969 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Type C5-S-78a, 1970 sold to American Export Lines renamed Young America, 1978 to Farrell Lines, 1986 to US Government renamed T-AVB 1 Wright. 11,757
Mormacsun (5) 1976 built by National Steel & Shipbuilding Co., San Diego. | Tanker, to Moore McCormack Bulk Transport Inc., 1987 to Mormac Marine Group Inc., 2002 scrapped. 22,354
Mormacsurf 1944 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | ex- Grundy standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1948 purchased renamed Mormacsurf, 1966 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Anita, 1973 scrapped. 7,980
Mormacswan   see Flying Fish.  
Mormacteal 1944 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- West Wind standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacteal, 1965 sold renamed North Hills, July 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,085
Mormactern (1)   see Lightning.  
Mormactern (2) 1943 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California Standard ship type C1-B, 1959 to Marad Reserve, James River, 19th June 1968 scuttled with cargo chemical ammunition. 6,750
Mormactide (1)   see Sagaporack.  
Mormactide (2) 1941 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Standard ship type C3, September 1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship by US Navy renamed Lyon, May 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commission, 1946 back in service for ASL, 1967 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Regina, January 1972 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,954
Mormactide (3) 1962 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | Type C4-S-1U, ex- Oregon, 1977 purchased from States Steamship Co., renamed Mormactide, 1980 to National Defence Reserve Force later to Ready Reserve Force renamed Empire State. 12,691
Mormactrade 1962 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Type C3-S-33A, 1977 to NDRF renamed Trade, 1980 renamed Southern Cross, 2007 scrapped. 9,316
Mormacvega 1964 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | Type C4-S-60a, 1982-1983 lengthened, 1983 to United States Lines renamed American Vega, 1986 to NDRF renamed Allison Lykes. 10,484
Mormacwave (1) 1943 built by Western Pipe & Steel Co., San Francisco | ex- Sea Pike standard ship type C3-S-A1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1945 purchased renamed Mormacwave, 1955 sold to States Marine Lines renamed Lone Star State, 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,808
Mormacwave (2) 1944 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | ex- Riverside standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 P & T Forester, 1957 purchased from Pope & Talbot renamed Mormacwave, 1966 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Leonor, 1968 stranded and lost. 8,010
Mormacwave (3) 1962 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | Type C4-S-1U, ex- Washington 1977 purchased from States Steamship Co., renamed Mormacwave, 1980 sold to United States Lines not renamed, 1987 to National Defence Reserve Force not renamed, 2003 scrapped at Brownsville. 12,691
Mormacwind 1944 built by Ingall Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Mississippi. | ex- Mendocino standard ship type C3-S-A2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 P & T Seafarer, 1957 purchased from Pope & Talbot renamed Mormacwind, 1966 sold to Grace Line renamed Santa Eliana, 1973 sold renamed Eliana, 1973 scrapped. 8,010
Mormacwren (1) 1939 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Standard ship type C2, January 1941 taken over by US Navy as a store ship renamed Algorab, 1946 reverted to United States Maritime Commision, 1947 sold renamed Kamran, 1948 sold renamed Mongola, 1954 sold renamed Hellenic Sailor, December 1973 scrapped as Aloha. 6,160
Mormacwren (2) 1942 built by Consolidated Steel Corp., Wilmington, California | Standard ship type C1-B, 1943 completed as a troop transport ship, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, February 1965 scrapped at Kearny. 6,750
Mormacwren (3) 1944 built by Moore Drydock Co., Oakland, California | ex- Eagle Wing standard ship type C2-S-B1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Mormacwren, 1965 sold renamed East Hills, September 1969 scrapped at Bilbao. 6,189
Mormacyork (1) 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. Standard ship type C3, 1940 taken over by US Navy and converted into a submarine tender renamed Pelias, September 1946 to USN Reserve, November 1973 scrapped at Portland, Ore. 7,898
Mormacyork (2) 1941 built by Federal Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Company, Kearny, New Jersey | Standard ship type C3, September 1942 completed conversion to a troop transport ship by US Navy renamed Anne Arundel, 1946 back in service for ASL, 1958 to Marad Reserve, August 1970 scrapped at Spezia. 7,898
Nantahala 1918 built by Western Pipe & Steel Co., San Francisco | ex- Nantahala built for United States Shipping Board, assigned to MM, 1929 scrapped at Baltimore. 5,714
Pan America 1922 built by Bethlehem Steel Corp, Sparrows Point, Maryland | ex- Palmetto State built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Pan America managed by Munson Line, 1938 to MM for service in ARL, 1939 to US Army as a troop transport ship renamed Hunter Ligget, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission and laid up, 1948 scrapped. 13,712
Rio de Janeiro 1941 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Launched as Rio de Janeiro for ARL service, standard ship type C3-P, but completed as escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Dasher, 27th March 1943 sunk by explosion in her hangar off Androssan. 12,500
Rio de La Plata 1941 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Launched as Rio de la Plata for ARL service, standard ship type C3-P, but completed as escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Charger, reverted to US Navy and used to train British aircrews, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission and laid up, 1949 sold to Alvion SS Corp., Panama and converted into a passenger ship renamed Fairsea, 1958 transferred to Societa Trasporti Marittimi SpA (SITMAR), 1969 disabled by an engine room fire, 1969 scrapped at La Spezia. 12,500
Rio Hudson 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Launched as Rio Hudson for ARL service, standard ship type C3-P, but completed as escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Avenger, 15th November 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U. 155. 12,500
Rio Parana 1940 built by Sun Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Chester, Penn. | Launched as Rio Parana for ARL service, standard ship type C3-P, but completed as escort carrier, lend / leased to Great Britain renamed Biter, 1945 transferred to French Navy renamed Dixmude, 1959 hulked and converted into a barrack at St. Mandrier, 1966 returned to USA and sunk as a test target. 12,500
Robin Goodfellow 1945 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Sea Carp, standard ship type C3-S-A2, 1947 purchased from United States Maritime Commission renamed Robin Goodfellow, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, 1971 sold renamed Goodfellow, June 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,946
Robin Gray 1943 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | Laid down as Sea Hawk, standard ship type C3-S-A2 but completed as Fayette for US Navy, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Robin Gray, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, 1971 sold renamed Gray, October 1971 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,004
Robin Hood 1945 built by Ingalls Ship Building Corp., Pascagoula, Miss. | ex- Sea Dolphin, standard ship type C3-S-A2, 1947 purchased from United States Maritime Commission renamed Robin Hood, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, 1971 sold renamed Hood, July 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,966
Robin Kirk 1943 built by Seattle Tacoma SB Corp., Seattle | Standard ship type C3-S-A1, completed for US Navy as an escort carrier Baffins, 1943 transferred to Great Britain renamed HMS Ameer, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1948 purchased rebuilt into a cargo ship renamed Robin Kirk 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, October 1969 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,024
Robin Locksley 1941 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrows Point | Standard type C2-S, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, January 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,085
Robin Mowbray 1943 built by Seattle Tacoma SB Corp., Seattle | Standard ship type C3-S-A1 laid down as Chatham for US Navy as an escort carrier, 1943 transferred to Great Britain completed and renamed HMS Slinger, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1948 purchased rebuilt into a cargo ship renamed Robin Mowbray, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, February 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,024
Robin Sherwood 1941 built by Bethlehem Steel Co., Sparrows Point | Standard type C2-S, 1943 completed into a troop transport ship for US Navy, 1946 returned to owners, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, August 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,101
Robin Trent 1943 built by Seattle Tacoma SB Corp., Seattle | Standard ship type C3-S-A1, laid down as Charger for US Navy as an escort carrier, 1943 transferred to Great Britain completed and renamed HMS Ravager, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission, 1948 purchased rebuilt into a cargo ship renamed Robin Trent, 1957 taken over with fleet of Robin Line (Seas Shipping Co.) not renamed, 1970 sold renamed Trent, July 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 8,024
Sagaporack 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Sagaporack built for United States Shipping Board, 1926 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed, 1939 renamed Mormactide, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Midosi, 1960’s scrapped. 5,784
Saguache 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Saguache built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanstates, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Cantuaria, 1964 scrapped. 5,697
Scanmail   see Chickasaw.  
Scanpenn   see Bird City.  
Scanstates   see Saguache.  
Scantic 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Scantic built for United States Shipping Board, 1928 assigned to ASL, 1930 purchased not renamed, 1936 damaged by fire while undergoing installation of refrigerating machinery, repaired and returned to service, 1936 transferred to Mooremack Gulf Lines renamed Southfolk, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Rio Branco, 1945 renamed Barao De Rio Branco, 1960’s scrapped. 5,784
Scanyork   see Schenectady.  
Schenectady 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Schenectady built for United States Shipping Board, 1926 assigned to the ASL, 1928 purchased not renamed assigned to the ASL, 1932 converted into a cargo passenger ship renamed Scanyork, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Maua, 1952 wrecked in the Amazon Delta. 5,784
Southerner 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Sangamon built for United States Shipping Board, 1920 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased Export Steamship Corp., 1928 renamed Exton, 1936 purchased by Moore McCormack and transferred to ASL renamed Southerner, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Imediato Joao Silva, 1955 scrapped. 5,784
Southfolk   see Scantic.  
Southland 1919 built by American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania | ex- Liberty Land built for United States Shipping Board, 1921 assigned to Export Steamship Corp., 1925 purchased by Export Steamship Corp., 1928 renamed Excellency, 1936 purchased by Moore McCormack and transferred to ASL renamed Southland, 1939 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro renamed Commandante Lyra, 1959 damaged by fire and scrapped. 5,052
Southlure   see Carplaka.  
The Angeles 1920 built by Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydock Corp., San Pedro, Calif. | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1938 renamed Mormacsul, 27th May 1942 bombed and sunk in Convoy PQ16 with the loss of 3 lives. 5,481
Uruguay 1928 built by Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company, Newport News | ex- California built for Panama Pacific Line, 1937 to United States Maritime Commission rebuilt one funnel to MM in ARL service and renamed Uruguay, 1946-1947 refurbished, 1954 to Reserve in James River, 1963 sold for demolition and scrapped in 1964. 20,183
West Calumb 1919 built by Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydock Corp., San Pedro, Calif. | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1938 renamed Mormacrey, 1946 sold to Pacific Exploration renamed Pacific Explorer, 1956 sold to Hugo Neu Corp. renamed S.J. Zidell, 1958 scrapped at Hikari. 5,946
West Selene 1919 built by Los Angeles Shipbuilding & Drydock Corp., San Pedro, Calif. | Built for United States Shipping Board, 1938 renamed Mormacrio, 1945 to USSR renamed Magadan, 1945 returned to USA, 1947 scrapped. 5,940
Western World 1922 built by Bethlehem Steel Corp, Sparrows Point, Maryland | ex- Nutmeg State built for United States Shipping Board, ex- Western World managed by Munson Line, 1938 to MM for service in ARL, 1939 to US Army as a troop transport ship renamed Leonard Wood, 1946 to United States Maritime Commission and laid up, 1948 scrapped. 13,712

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: May 11, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli