FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Moss Hutchison Line, 1934-1979

Moss Hutchison was registered on 6th April 1934 and was an outcome of the amalgation of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) and Messrs J. & P. Hutchison in the wake of the collapse of the Royal Mail Group.
In 1935 the General Steam Navigation Company (owned by P & O) became the owners of the entire share issue of the newly created Moss Hutchison Line.

The Moss Hutchison Line traded mostly to French Ports, Spain and Portugal, Mediterranean and Black Sea.

The demise of the Moss Hutchison Line was like a lot of other shipping companies simply because of the changes in cargo handling and the company simply missed the transition of it, also foreign shipping companies registered in countries which offered favorable tax concessions and with crews who were satisfied with modest wages, were taking over the trade of the seas.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel & Flags:

Funnel Pennant Flag
Fleet:     In French Harbours
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Amarna (1) 1919 built by North of Ireland SB Co., Londonderry | ex- Amarna, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1935 sold to N. Maris renamed Efthalia Mari, 5th August 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.177 with the loss of 1 life. 4,195
Amarna (2) 1949 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast | 1967 renamed Assyria on charter to Cunard, 1968 renamed Amarna, 1971 transferred to P&O General Cargo Division, 1975 sold to Grecomar Shipping Agency, Greece renamed Kastriani III, 1984 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 3,422
Ardenza 1920 built by Hawthorns & Co., Leith | ex- Ardenza, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1946 sold to Wm. Cory & Son renamed Cory Freighter, 1952 sold to General Carbones renamed Atlante, 9th August 1957 wrecked Noirmoutier and scrapped at Nantes. 933
Assiout (1) 1918 built by North of Ireland SB Co., Londonderry | ex- Assiout, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1935 sold to M.E. Kydoniefs renamed Maroulio, 1938 sold to S.G. Embiricos renamed Amarylis, 2nd December 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.181 with the loss of 29 lives. 4,215
Assiout (2) 1949 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast | 1973 sold to Grecomar Shipping Agency, Greece renamed Chryssoula II, 1981 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 3,422
Busiris (1) 1929 built by Ailsa Shipbuilding & Co., Troon | ex- Busiris, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1948 sold to Kyle Shipping Co. renamed Kyleglen, 1958 scrapped at Dublin. 943
Busiris (2) 1961 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | Tanker, 1962 transferred to Trident Tankers (P&O), 1976 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 24,268
Chloris (1) 1921 built by Werft Nobiskrug, Rendsburg | ex- Eider built for Bugsier, ex- Chloris 1923, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1935 sold to H. Silven renamed Venern, 1954 sold to D.J. Papadimitriou renamed Angeliki, 1964 sold to C. Arvanitis renamed Ionian, 1969 foundered by Berbera. 1,197
Chloris (2) 1910 built by Ailsa Shipbuilding & Co., Troon | ex- Corncrake, 1937 purchased purchased from General Steam Navigation Co. renamed Chloris, 1948 sold to S.A.R.G.A. renamed Sarga, 1953 sold to P. Cossi renamed Gianandrea, 1955 scrapped at Savona. 1,180
Endymion 1909 built by John Fullerton & Co., Paisley | ex- Endymion, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1935 sold not renamed, 21st January 1938 torpedoed and sunk by submarine off Cape Tinoso 887
Esneh 1919 built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend | ex- Western Coast built for Coast Lines, ex- Esneh 1922, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1948 sold to N.P. Lanitis renamed Tefkros, 1958 sold to Choon Kee Nav Co. renamed Shun On, 1959 scrapped at Hong Kong. 1,931
Etrib 1919 built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Wallsend | ex- War Shannon built for the Shipping Controller, ex- British Coast 1919, ex- Etrib 1922, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 14th June 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.552 with the loss of 4 lives. 1,943
Fendris 1925 built by A. & J. Inglis, Glasgow | ex- Fendris, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1950 sold to H. Kruger to Germany renamed Annemarie Kruger, 1959 sold to Deutsche Werft renamed D.W. 32 and hulked at Hamburg, 1967 to Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft renamed HDW 32. 1,309
Hatasu 1921 built by J. Blumer & Co., Sunderland | ex- Hatasu, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 2nd October 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.431 in Atlantic with the loss of 40 lives. 3,198
Kana 1929 built by A. MacMillan & Sons Ltd., Dumbarton | ex- Kana, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1952 sold to SOARMA renamed Teresa Vigo, 1960 sold to Cardillo Bros renamed Maria Piro, 1965 sold to A. Calvani renamed Old Oak, 1968 scrapped at Trieste. 2,743
Kantara (1) 1925 built by Barclay Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow | Launched as Lancier for Lloyd Royal Belge, completed as Kantara, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 22nd January 1941 sunk by gunfire in West Atlantic. 3,237
Kantara (2) 1947 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast | 1972 sold to A. Bousses, Cyprus renamed Constantis II, 1980 scrapped at Castellon. 3,213
Karnak 1948 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Belfast | 1971 sold to Grecomar Shipping Agency, Greece renamed Eudocia, 1981 scrapped at Bombay. 3,198
Kavak 1929 built by A. MacMillan & Sons Ltd., Dumbarton | ex- Kavak, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 2nd December 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.101 in Atlantc with the loss of 25 lives. 2,743
Kheti 1927 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Govan | ex- Kheti, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1951 sold to Mossgiel Steamship Co., Glasgow renamed Alcora, 1958 sold to D.T. Petropoulos renamed Gay Med, 1964 sold to H. Hatem & Sons renamed Med Star, 9th October 1967 foundered near Pantelleria. 2,650
Kufra (1) 1929 built by Harland & Wolff Ltd, Govan | ex- Kufra, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 24th June 1940 sunk in collision in Gibraltar Convoy. 2,608
Kufra (2) 1937 built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee | ex- Heron, 1956 purchased purchased from General Steam Navigation Co. renamed Kufra, 1959 sold to Pateras Bros, Lebanon renamed Arden, 1965 sold to Pothitos Koutsofios renamed Sanmichael, 1973 sold to N.M. Armenakis Grand Michael, 1974 scrapped at Split. 2,409
Kypros 1950 built by W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Sunderland | 1967 renamed Aurania on charter to Cunard, 1967 renamed Kypros, 1971 transferred to P&O General Cargo Division, 1976 sold to Grecomar Shipping Agency, Greece renamed Angeliki, 1981 sold to Intercontinental Transport Management renamed Angel, 1982 scrapped at Beypore. 3,499
Kyrenia 1925 built by Barclay Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow | ex- Nigerian, 1935 purchased from United Africa Co. renamed Kyrenia, 1937 sold to Bristol City Line renamed Toronto City, 1st July 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.108, whole crew lost. 2,486
Landes (1) 1920 built by Hawthorns & Co., Leith | ex- Landes, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1934 sold to Finska Angfartygs, Finland renamed Leo, 1945 to USSR renamed Gatchina, 1970 scrapped at Leningrad. 1,276
Landes (2) 1925 built by Greenock Dockyard Co., Greenock | ex- Hirondelle, 1948 purchased from General Steam Navigation Co. renamed Landes, 1953 sold to Torem Co., Genoa, Italy renamed Pilarella, 1958 sold to S.A.G.E.N. renamed Turritania, 1961 scrapped at Hamburg. 893
Lormont (1) 1920 built by Hawthorns & Co., Leith | ex- Lormont, 1934 taken over with fleet of James Moss & Co. (Moss Line) not renamed, 1934 sold to Finska Angfartygs, Finland renamed Juno, 30th October 1939 mined and sunk off Hull with the loss of 6 lives. 1,276
Lormont (2) 1927 built by Greenock Dockyard Co., Greenock | ex- Woodcock, 1939 purchased from General Steam Navigation Co. renamed Lormont, 7th December 1940 sunk in collision with HM trawler CORTINA off the Humber. 1,561
Lormont (3) 1930 built by Workman Clark & Co., Belfast | ex- Swift, 1948 purchased purchased from General Steam Navigation Co. renamed Lormont, 1953 sold to D.T. Petropoulos, Cyprus renamed Silver Med, 1960 sold to Wheelock Marden renamed Silver King, 1965 renamed South Sea, 1967 sold to Peseta Shipping Corp. renamed Eugene, 1968 scrapped at Hong Kong. 936
Makaria 1972 built by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen | 1971 transferred to P&O General Cargo Division, 1979 sold to Naviera Multinacional del Conibes S.A., Panama renamed Los Teques, 1978 scrapped. 2,686
Melita 1971 built by Hall, Russell & Co., Aberdeen | 1971 transferred to P&O General Cargo Division, 1979 sold to Naviera Multinacional del Conibes S.A., Panama renamed Siboney, 1987 scrapped at Tampico. 2,686
Memphis (1) 1917 built by Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, Ardrossan | ex- Smerdis, ex- Memphis 1923, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1938 sold to Union Marocaine, Morocco renamed Caid Kebir, 1954 sold to Marocaine Gerance renamed Meziane, 19th April 1955 damaged by collision and scrapped in 1957. 1,033
Memphis (2) 1947 built by W. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd., Sunderland | 1971 transferred to P&O General Cargo Division, 1972 sold to Sifonar Shipping Co. SA, Panama renamed Elias, 1981 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 3,575
Meroe 1928 built by Barclay Curle & Co. Ltd, Glasgow | ex- Lafian, 1935 purchased purchased from United Africa Co. renamed Meroe, 1950 sold to K. Gross, Germany renamed Adele, 1957 sold to E.K.C. Hornemann renamed Tucana, 1958 sold to H.F.Cordes & Co. renamed Ursula, 1960 sold to Eastern Ark, Panama renamed Mien An, 1961 sold to Frederick Shipping Corp. renamed Ruhamah, 1965 sold to Shun On Shipping Corp. renamed Liby, 1968 scrapped. 3,832
Philotis (1) 1918 built by Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, Ardrossan | ex- Philotis, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1935 sold to British & Continental Steamship Co., Liverpool renamed Nyroca, 1942 renamed Sir Walter Venning, 1946 renamed Nyroca, 1950 sold to Somerton SS Co. renamed Alice Marie, 1956 sold to M. Sorottos & Co. renamed Mairoula, 1974 scrapped at Perama. 1,037
Philotis (2) 1926 built by Ailsa Shipbuilding & Co., Troon | ex- Grebe, 1937 purchased from General Steam Navigation Co. renamed Philotis, 3rd September 1940 sunk in collision. 880
Procris 1924 built by A. & J. Inglis, Glasgow | ex- Procris, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1950 scrapped at Port Glasgow. 1,320
Sardis 1928 built by Ardrossan Dockyard Ltd, Ardrossan | ex- Sardis, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1954 sold to C. Campos renamed Marichu, 1965 sold to C.C. Calafatis renamed Phloisvos, 1965 renamed Capo Pala, 1967 renamed Agios Nicolaos, 1969 scrapped at Piraeus. 970
Smerdis 1920 built by London & Montrose, Montrose | ex- Marion Merrett built for D.R. Llewellyn, Merrett & Price Ltd, Cardiff, ex- Kirkwynd 1924 for McIntyre Inglis & Co., ex- Smerdis 1926, 1934 taken over with fleet of J. & P. Hutchison not renamed, 1934 sold to Elder Dempster renamed Ilorin, 1st September 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.125 off Takoradi with the loss of 32 lives. 815
Tabor 1952 built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd, Dundee | 1971 transferred to P&O General Cargo Division, 1975 sold to Grecomar Shipping Agency, Greece renamed Katia, 1982 sold to Kate Shipping Co., Malta renamed Kate, 1982 scrapped at Beypore. 3,694

Sources include: The Navvies, N. L. Middlemiss, Shield Publications Ltd, 1999. ; Birds of the Sea, 150 years of the General Steam Navigation Company, N. Robins, Coastal Shipping Publications, 2007.

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: July 21, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli