FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Rotterdam Zuid Amerika Lijn / Van Nievelt, Goudriaan & Co.’s Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam 1905-1991

The firm of N.V. Van Nievelt, Goudriaan & Co’s Stoomvaart Maatschappij (Nigoco) was founded by Van Nievelt and Goudriaan in Rotterdam on 1th January 1905 to carry timber from the Baltic to Holland and elsewhere during the summer months, and for general tramping during the remainder of the year. By 1910 the company owned six steamers.

During 1920 a regular service was started in conjunction with the Holland America Line (HAL) by cargo steamers from Hamburg, Rotterdam and Antwerp direct to Argentina, and when the HAL withdraw in 1928, it was continued by Nievelt, Goudriaan & Co., it was known in Holland as the Rotterdam Zuid Amerika Lijn (RZAL) or Rotterdam South America Line. Nigoco was also one of the co-founders of the Vereenigde Nederlandsche Scheepvaartmaatschappij (VNS) in 1920. In 1921 the Company started to introduce ships carrying 12 passengers the first two of these sailings being taken by the ALCYONE and the ALDABI. The sister ships ALPHACCA and ALPHERAT were completed in 1928 to carry 12 passengers, but in 1938 their accommodation was increased to 24 passengers.

Nigoco lost eleven ships during World War II. After the war the company had no passenger ships in a serviceable state, but the ALDABI was ready, as stated, in November 1945, the ALHENA in April 1947 and three ex-Victory ships, the ALWAKI (2), ALPHACCA (2) and ALPHERAT (2) were also commissioned in 1947 with accommodation for 12 passengers. Then came the 14 passenger ship ALBIREO (3) in 1948 and the 54 passenger ship ALNATI (2) in April 1949. The 6,410 ton motorship ALTAIR (3) and the 5,421 ton ALIOTH (3) followed in 1950 the last having accommodation for 80 steerage as well as 12 first class passengers. Between 1956 and 1960 eight further motorships with accommodation for 12 passengers were completed for Nigoco, five with machinery aft.

Nigoco took over The German shipping company of A. Kirsten & Co. GmbH at Hamburg in 1963 and so became Nigoco partner in the Hamburg Chicago Line. The continuing losses in this venture was too much, so in 1971 the ships were sold and the company liquidated. In 1968 all the shares of the families Van Nievelt and Goudriaan were purchased by the Steenkolen Handels Vereniging (SHV).

The exploit of the smaller ships became very expensive under Dutch flag so in 1971 together with the Greek Theologitus the Greek Holland Shipping was started and altogether nine smaller Dutch ships were transferred under Greek Registry and for the same reasons a few smaller ships went to Galaxy Shipping & Trading Corp., Monrovia under Liberian flag, both companies were daughter companies of Nigoco.

The greatly decreased demand for passenger accommodation saw the last cargo and passenger ships, the ALHENA and ALNATI disappear from the fleet in 1968. The last cargo and passengers carrying ships, the ALGOL (2), ALKES and ALGORAB (2) were disposed of in November and December 1977. These were the last passengers carrying ships of Nigoco and were replaced by four large purely cargo ships of 14,700 tons deadweight in 1977.

End 1983 the shares Nigoco were sold by the SHV to Poseidon Holding in Hamburg and in 1991 the company went into liquidation and the last three ships Norrsundet, Skutskar and Aldabi (4) were disposed of in 1993.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • Rotterdam-South America
    • Hamburg-Chigago
  • Abbreviations:
    • Nigoco :   N.V. Van Nievelt, Goudriaan & Co’s Stoomvaart Maatschappij
    • VNS :       Vereenigde Nederlandsche Scheepvaartmaatschappij

Funnel & Flag:

Fleet:

 
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Adara (1) 1918 built by Haarlemsche Scheepsbouw Mij, Haarlem | ex- Industrie, 1918 purchased while building from Stoombootreederij J. & A. van der Schuyt, Rotterdam renamed Adara, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen, Germany renamed Billung, 1925 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Meise, 1944 sunk after Allied air attack at Brest, 1946 wreck scrapped. 821
Adara (2) 1961 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1973 sold to Compania Paraguaya de Nav. de Ultramar, Paraguay renamed Asunción, 1981 sold renamed Nera, 1991 sold to Panama renamed Nera II, 1994 laid up. 799
Adara (3) 1971 built by E.J. Smit & Zoon's, Westerbroek | ex- Cairntrader, ex- Saxon Prince 1971, ex- Cairntrader 1975, ex- Saxon Prince 1976, 1976 purchased from Shaw Savill & Albion Co., London renamed Adara, 1986 sold to Waterdrive Marine Ltd, Cyprus (Van Zandvoort Shipping PVBA, Antwerpen) renamed Andara, 1990 sold renamed Panama Star, 1992 sold renamed Pamela, 1995 sold renamed Arana, 1996 renamed Karim 1, 2003 renamed Karim I. 1,581
Alamak (1) 1918 built by J. & A. van der Schuit's Scheepswerven, Papendrecht | ex- Stad Rotterdam, 1918 purchased while building from Stoombootreederij J. & A. van der Schuyt, Rotterdam renamed Alamak, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Rapot, 1922 sold to Unterweser Reederei, Bremen renamed Gonzenheim, 1924 sold to Norway renamed Blink, 1931 foundered in White Sea off Cape Orloff. 1,913
Alamak (2) 1943 built by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland | ex- George H. Flanders standard ship type liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Boerhaave (Nigoco managers), 1947 purchased renamed Alamak, 1958 sold to T. Campanella, Italy renamed Gerolamo Campanella, 1961 sold to Polish Steamship Co., Stettin renamed Huta Ferrum, 1972 scrapped at Split. 7,234
Alamak (3) 1959 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1969 sold to Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Norway renamed Tampa, 1973 sold to China renamed Wen Shui, 1987 scrapped in China. 6,722
Albireo (1) 1920 built by Scheepsbouw Mij De Nieuwe Waterweg, Schiedam | ex- Zevenbergen, 1920 purchased while building from Zuid Hollandsche Scheepvaart Mij., Rotterdam renamed Albireo, 1932 temporary laid up, 1939 sold to H. Schmidt, Germany renamed Hans Schmidt, 1943 mined and sunk near Pola. 4,427
Albireo (2) 1940 built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Amsterdam | Seized by Germans while building and completed as Wuri, 1942 mined and sunk, 1945 wreck salvaged new forepart fitted and repaired in 1948, 1949 in service as Alnati for Nigoco, 1968 sold to Cyprus renamed Alfa, 1971 sold not renamed, 1972 scrapped at Darica. 7,368
Albireo (3) 1944 built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Amsterdam | ex- Frankenfels standard ship type Hansa-C, 1946 casco sold to Nigoco and completed as Albireo, 1963 transferred to Nigoco, Hamburg renamed Procyon, 1966 sold to Liberia renamed Minoutsi, 1971 sold to Cyprus not renamed, 1977 laid up, 1978 sold renamed Laisa, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,474
Alchiba (1) 1920 built by Scheepsbouw Mij De Nieuwe Waterweg, Schiedam | ex- Vrijbergen, 1920 purchased while building from Zuid Hollandsche Scheepvaart Mij., Rotterdam renamed Alchiba, 1942 shelled, torpedoed and sunk by Japanese submarine I 10 in Strait of Mozambique with the loss of 5 lives. 4,429
Alchiba (2) 1941 built by C. Connell Ltd., Glasgow | ex- Empire Rennie, 1942 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Frans Hals (Van Ommeren managers), 1945 Nigoco became manager, 1946 purchased renamed Alchiba, 1956 sold to DGG Hansa, Bremen renamed Rheinfels, 1968 sold to Cyprus not renamed, 1968 renamed Peramataris, 1974 sold not renamed, 1976 laid up, 1979 scrapped. 6,596
Alchiba (3) 1959 built by Werf Gusto v/h A.F. Smulders, Schiedam | 1969 sold to Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Norway renamed Tortugas, 1973 sold to China renamed Guang Shui. 6,733
Alcor (1) 1912 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1914 seized by Russian Government sunk as a block ship in entrance harbour of Hangö, 1918 raised repaired renamed Imatra, 1959 sold renamed Alcor, 1959 sold renamed Sonja, 1960 scrapped. 3,233
Alcor (2) 1915 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, 1918 stranded under American flag on Seal Island and scrapped. 3,551
Alcor (3) 1920 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1932 temporarily laid up, 1960 scrapped at Hongkong. 3,527
Alcor (4) 1957 built by Werf De Noord, Alblasserdam | 1976 sold to Merak Shipping Co., Piraeus, Greece renamed Merak, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,735
Alcyone (1) 1921 built by v. d. Kuy & van Ree's Machinefabriek & Scheepswerf Werf Maasdijk, Schiedam | 1942 mined and sunk near Capetown in Convoy OS 19. 4,540
Alcyone (2) 1944 built by J. A. Jones Construction Co. Inc., Panama City | ex- Samuel G. French standard ship type liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Egmond (Nigoco manager), 1947 purchased renamed Alcyone, 1958 sold to Liberia renamed Nicos S, 1971 scrapped at Castellon. 7,275
Aldabi (1) 1921 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1937 stranded in dense fog at Cabo Santa Martha Grande and lost. 4,938
Aldabi (2) 1941 built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Amsterdam | Seized by Germans while building and completed as Wolta, 1945 reverted to Nigoco as Aldabi, 1967 sold to Cyprus renamed Alba, 1970 sold to Greece not renamed,1971 laid up, 1972 scrapped at Istanbul. 7,239
Aldabi (3) 1977 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1986 laid up, 1986 in bareboat charter of D. Lemos, Greece renamed Lamda, 1987 sold to A. Hartman KG, Cyprus renamed Eastern Merchant, 1989 sold to Norway renamed Nortween Merchant, 1991 sold renamed Northern Merchant, 1992 sold to Bahama's renamed Secil Namibia, 1998 sold renamed Namibia. 10,444
Aldabi (4) 1989 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1993 sold to Coldstream Shipper, Willemstad N.A. renamed Coldstream Trader, 1996 sold to Ahlmarco renamed Visten. 4,059
Aldebaran 1920 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | Ordered as Crefeld, 1920 launched as Rapot for Roland Linie, Bremen, 1920 purchased while building renamed Aldebaran, 1940 seized by Germans, 1945 reverted to Nigoco, 1950 sold to Italy renamed Aldebaran D, 1958 sold not renamed, 1961 sold to Fratelli Grimaldi not renamed, 1961 scrapped at La Spezia. 7,698
Alderamin (1) 1920 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | Ordered as Köln, 1920 launched as Wido for Roland Line, Bremen, 1920 purchased while building renamed Alderamin, 1932 temporary laid up, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U 338 in Atlantic Ocean in Convoy SC 122 with the loss of 15 lives. 7,698
Alderamin (2) 1943 built by California Shipbuilding Corp., Los Angeles | ex- William Wolfskill standard ship type liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1946 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Lely (Nigoco manager), 1947 purchased renamed Alderamin, 1958 sold to N.J. Goulandris, Liberia renamed Apatouria, 1962 sold not renamed, 1971 scrapped at Santander. 7,269
Aldib (1) 1958 built by Werf De Noord, Alblasserdam | Sold while building to VNS renamed Nijkerk, 1970 transferred to Nedlloyd, 1977 sold to Pacific International Lines, Singapore renamed Kota Sejati, 1982 scrapped at Chittagong. 6,579
Aldib (2) 1981 built by Rauma Repola O/Y, Nystad | ex- Pohjola, ex- Brita Ragne 1984, ex- Britt Marie 1986, 1988 purchased from Rederibolaget Lilgaard, Mariehamm, Sweden renamed Aldib, 1989 sold to Rederi A/B Osterlen, Sweden renamed Baske, 1993 sold renamed Stella Baltic 2,061 BRT, 1996 sold to Marjola, Rotterdam (Wesmar Shipping) renamed Marjola, 2000 renamed Eembothnia, 2000 sold to Litouwen renamed Marjola, 2005 sold to Nordsee Transport Group LLC, Palm Beach, Florida, flag Belize same name, 2005 sold to Rawley Group Ltd., Belize, (Boychenko SP, Khabarovsk, Russia) renamed Poline. 1,324
Algenib (1) 1915 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1932 temporary laid up, 1937 sold to J. Goulandris, Piraeus, Greece renamed Evthanie, 1937 renamed Evanthia, 1942 shelled and sunk by German submarine U-181 southeast of Lorenco Marquez. 3,551
Algenib (2) 1937 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1963 sold to Liberia renamed Joy, 1968 sold renamed Alexvas, 1969 sold to Panama renamed Eteoklis, 1971 sold to Cyprus not renamed, 1972 scrapped at Istanbul. 5,556
Algol (1) 1940 built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Amsterdam | 1941 seized by Germans in service as Sperrbrecher 29, 1945 found back, heavy damaged, 1947 repaired and reverted to Nigoco renamed Alhena, 1968 sold to Cyprus renamed Alda, 1971 sold not renamed, 1973 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,289
Algol (2) 1957 built by Werf De Noord, Alblasserdam | 1977 laid up, 1977 sold to Panchar Nav. Co., Panama renamed Golnar, 1980 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 6,735
Algorab (1) 1922 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1932 temporarily laid up, 1951 sold to Capt. John Angelos, Greece renamed Nicolaos A, 1952 scrapped at Blyth. 4,938
Algorab (2) 1960 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1977 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece renamed Ifestos, 1979 sold to Dionikos Shipping Co. renamed Fedon, 1980 during Iraq/Iran war heavy damaged and declared total loss in Shatt Al Arab river, 1983 wreck sold renamed Demon. 6,723
Alhena (1) 1922 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1932 temporarily laid up, 1941 stranded near Light Vessel South Rock off Irish east coast, 1942 refloated but sunk while being towed. 4,930
Alhena (2)   see Algol (1).  
Alhena (3) 1977 built by Verolme, Alblasserdam | 1986 laid up, 1987 in bareboat charter of D. Lemos, Greece renamed Theta, 1988 sold to Panama renamed Gold Fortune, 1988 sold renamed Gold Asia, 1996 sold renamed Tasmia, 2000 scrapped in Bangladesh. 10,444
Alioth (1) 1905 J. built by Smit Czn, Alblasserdam | Ordered as Pionier but completed as Alioth, 1922 sold to Emder Reederei A.G., Emden, Germany renamed Anneliese, 1924 sold to J.M.K. Blumental renamed Magdalena Reith, 1940 sold to R.L. Bornhoven renamed Hans Bornhoven, 1944 near Stavanger sunk by British submarine. 2,070
Alioth (2) 1937 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1942 torpedoed and sunk by Italian submarine Leonardo da Vinci. 5,483
Alioth (3) 1950 built by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Burntisland | Ordered for Norwegian owner as Alschain, purchased while building renamed Alioth, 1963 transferred to Nigoco, Hamburg renamed Yildun, 1970 sold to Panama renamed Agios Spyridon, 1974 sold to Cyprus renamed Aspyr, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 5,421
Alioth (4) 1950 built by Burmeister & Wain, Kopenhagen | ex- Black Hawk, 1967 purchased from Sigurd Herlofsen & Co. renamed Alioth, 1970 sold to Liberia renamed Tsing Chau, 1978 sold to Panama not renamed, 1979 scrapped in Taiwan. 5,406
Alkaid (1) 1910 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1926 east of Cape Race sunk in heavy storm. 3,028
Alkaid (2) 1928 built by Lobithsche Scheepsbouw Mij, Lobith | ex- Tenbergen, 1928 purchased from Zuid Hollandsche Scheepvaart Mij. renamed Alkaid, 1932 temporarily laid up, 1933 stranded and abandoned, 1939 wreck salvaged repaired and as Rodina under the flag of the USSR, 1942 mined and sunk off Reykjavik. 4,441
Alkaid (3) 1937 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1940 seized by Germans, 1945 found back and repaired, 1946 in service for Nigico, 1964 sold to Panama renamed Agios Nicolaos III, 1964 stranded during storm at Sea Cow Head total loss and scrapped at Bilbao. 5,483
Alkes (1) 1958 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1977 laid up, 1977 sold to Panchar Nav. Co., Panama renamed Kesnar, 1982 scrapped at Chittagong. 6,735
Alkes (2) 1980 built by Rauma Repola O/Y, Nystad | ex- Mustola gebouwd voor O/Y Saimaa Lines, ex- Miniland, 1988 purchased from Mincarriers A/B, Godby, Sweden renamed Alkes, 1989 sold to Rederi A/B Osterlen, Sweden renamed Vik, 1992 sold Stella Artic 2,061 BRT, 1996 sold to Marjola, Rotterdam (Wesmar Shipping) renamed Markes, 2000 sold to St. Vincent renamed Stemo, 2002 sold renamed Mariana, 2003 renamed Marvita. 1,376
Alnati (1)   see Albireo (2).  
Alnati (2) 1977 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1986 laid up, 1987 in bareboat charter of D. Lemos, Greece renamed Alfa II, 1988 sold to Panama renamed Antofalla, 1991 sold renamed Gold Horizon, 1996 renamed Zim Charleston, 1996 sold renamed Moonlight 1, 2000 sold renamed Ferzana H, 2000 scrapped at Alang. 10,444
Alnitak 1960 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1969 sold to Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Norway renamed Tennessee, 1973 sold to China renamed Jian Shui, 1988 scrapped at Huangpu. 6,723
Alphacca (1) 1928 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1938 rebuilt, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U 505 south off Cape Palmas with the loss of 15 lives. 5,759
Alphacca (2) 1945 built by California Shipbuilding Corp., Los Angeles | ex- Chanute Victory standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Alphacca, 1973 sold to Taiwan renamed Kai Ming, 1977 renamed Ming Cathay for last voyage to breakers, 1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,651
Alphacca (3) 1978 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1987 laid up, 1987 in bareboat charter of D. Lemos, Greece renamed Beta, 1989 sold to Panama renamed Gold Future, 1995 sold renamed Zim Houston, 1996 sold renamed Sunflower I, 2000 scrapped at Calcutta. 10,444
Alphard (1) 1916 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1932 temporary laid up, 1936 sunk after collision in fog off Light Vessel Sandettié in North Sea. 3,551
Alphard (2) 1937 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1964 sold to Panama renamed Agioi Anargyroi, 1965 sold to Greece renamed Garoufalia, 1971 sold to Panama renamed African Trader, 1972 sold renamed Zini, 1975 sold to Cyprus renamed Rita, 1977 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 5,513
Alpherat (1) 1928 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1938 rebuilt, 1943 east off Malta lost by German air raid. 5,759
Alpherat (2) 1945 built by California Shipbuilding Corp., Los Angeles | ex- Wheaton Victory standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Alpherat, 1963 sold to China Merchants Steamship Nav., Keelung renamed Hai Fu, 1963 stranded at Aoha Island, 1964 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,649
Altair (1) 1940 built by Nederlandsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Amsterdam | 1940 seized by Germans while building and completed as depot ship for submarines, 1943 sunk by British air attack near Alesund. 7,258
Altair (2) 1950 built by Wm Gray & Co Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1956 stranded and wrecked near Vitoria, 1956 abandoned. 6,410
Aludra (1) 1922 built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg | 1940 seized by Germans (Oldenburg Portugeschische Dampfschiffs Reederei, manager), 1943 sunk in river Elbe after Allied air raid. 4,930
Aludra (2) 1944 built by Oregon Shipbuilding Corp., Portland | ex- Samuel V. Stewart standard ship type liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Sweelinck (Nigoco managers), 1947 purchased renamed Aludra, 1959 sold to Panama renamed Maria,1961 lengthened, 1961 stranded, 1962 refloated and scrapped in Japan. 7,272
Aludra (3) 1960 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1969 sold to Wilh. Wilhelmsen, Norway renamed Texas, 1973 sold to China renamed Li Shui, 2004 renamed Li Tong. 6,723
Aludra (4) 1974 built by VEB Warnow Werft, Warnemünde | 1983 sold to Centaurus Shipping, Lebanon renamed Achilleus, 1990 sold to China renamed Ji Lin, 1993 sold not renamed, 1999 sold renamed Akron, 2000 scrapped in China. 9,844
Alwaki (1) 1922 built by v. d. Kuy & van Ree's Machinefabriek & Scheepswerf Werf Maasdijk, Schiedam | 1940 torpedoed and sunk in Convoy OA 180 by German submarine U-61. 4,537
Alwaki (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard Inc., Baltimore | ex- Chapel Hill Victory standard ship type Victory VC2-S-AP2 built for United States Maritime Commission, 1947 purchased renamed Alwaki, 1965 sold to Liberia renamed Kaohsiung Victory, 1973 laid up, 1974 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,650
Arneb 1961 built by Sölveborgs Varv A/B, Svendborg | Ordered as Albertina for Lion Steamship Co., Sweden, purchased while building renamed Arneb, 1969 sold to Greece renamed Marika, 1979 sold same name, 1988 sold to Cayman Islands renamed Tricon 1,969 BRT, 1989 sold to Panama renamed Sea Point, 1991 sold to Mexican Navy renamed Tarasco A 25. 1,190
Asmidiske 1958 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | Bulkcarrier, 1973 sold to Hong Kong renamed Salton Sea, 1979 sold to China renamed Hong Qi 301, 1985 rebuilt 10,402 BRT. 11,396
Asterope 1958 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | Bulkcarrier, 1973 sold to Hong Kong renamed Chukchi Sea, 1978 sold to China renamed Wu Zhi Shan, 1985 rebuilt, 1994 deleted from Register. 11,396
Asunción   see Matar-N.  
Bellatrix 1915 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, (Angeria right), 1919 reverted to Nigoco, 1932 laid up, 1934 sold to Morflot, Leningrad renamed Pskov, 1935 transferred to Sovtorgflot, Leningrad renamed Otto Schmidt, 1974 laid up, 1978 scrapped. 3,552
Concepión 1954 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1973 sold to Greece renamed Vassilikki, 1977 sold renamed Apostolos, 1981 sold not renamed, 1983 sold renamed Alsa, 1993 used as a hulk. 500
Dubhe 1912 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1929 sold to August Bolten Wm Miller's Nachfolger, Hamburg, Germany renamed Boltenhagen, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine Sturgeon near Lista (Norway). 3,233
Gemma (1) 1922 built by Scheepsbouw Mij De Nieuwe Waterweg, Schiedam | 1931 sold to VNS renamed Serooskerk, 1934 rebuilt, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U 155 northwest off Azoren with all hands. 8,420
Gemma (2) 1958 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1963 sold to Compania Paraguaya de Nav. de Ultramar, Paraguay renamed Asuncion, 1973 transferred to Greek Holland Shipping renamed Gemma, 1973 sold to Cyprus not renamed, 1979 sold to Greece idem, 1979 sold to Panama renamed Gemma I, 1980 sold to Georgetown renamed Asuncion, 1983 sold not renamed, 1987 laid up, 1992 sold to Honduras renamed St. Clair Express, 1999 sold same name. 776
Laurenskerk 1943 built by Houston Shipbuilding Corp., Houston | ex- David Wilmot standard ship type liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States War Shipping Administration, 1946 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Anthony Leeuwenhoek (Nigoco managers), 1948 renamed Laurenskerk, 1950 purchased not renamed, 1951 sold to the VNS not renamed, 1960 sold to Grosvenor Shipping Ltd, Great Britain renamed Grosvernor Trader, 1966 sold to Cyprus renamed Gloria,1968 scrapped at Shanghai. 7,258
Lissekerk 1943 built by Permanente Metals Corporation, Richmond | ex- Rheinhold Richter standard ship type liberty EC2-S-C1 built for United States War Shipping Administration, 1947 purchased by Dutch Government renamed Simon Stevin (Nigoco managers), 1947 renamed Lissekerk, 1950 purchased not renamed, 1951 sold to the VNS not renamed, 1961 sold to Compania de Nav. Michaels Line S.A., Greece renamed Maria de Lourdes,1966 sold same name,1970 scrapped at Shangai. 7,219
Maasym-N 1952 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1963 stranded on coast of North of Spain and foundered. 496
Mariscal Lopez 1954 built by J. Pattje, Waterhuizen | 1969 sold to Singapore renamed Marisca, 1971 sold to Indonesia renamed Djelita, 1972 renamed Pelita Mas, 1986 scrapped at Djakarta. 500
Markab (1) 1917 built by De Baanhoek v/h Th. Nederlof, Sliedrecht | ex- Solsvik, 1918 purchased from O.R. Olsen, Bergen, Norway renamed Markab, (launched for Stoomboot Reederij v/h J.& A. Schuijt), 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Hamburg renamed Witell, 1922 sold to Reederei A.G. von 1896, Bremen renamed Oceana, 1927 sold to Hanseatische Dampfschiffahrt Ges., Hamburg not renamed, 1930 sold to Flensburger Dampf Co., Hamburg renamed Hasselburg, 1931 sold to Ozwan Dampfer AG, Hamburg same name, 1935 sold to Sovtorgflot, Archangel renamed Lahkta, 1966 deleted from Register. 1,356
Markab (2) 1959 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1969 transferred to Galaxy Shipping & Trading Corp., Monrovia renamed Markab II, 1972 reverted to Nigoco, 1979 sold to Panama renamed Costas, 1980 renamed Costas II, 1982 sold to Lebanon renamed F.M. Spyridon rebuilt into a livestock carrier, 1994 sold. 790
Markab II   see Markab (2).  
Markab-N 1952 built by Van Vliet & Co., Hardinxveld | 1958 sold to Mij. Zeevaart ( Hudig & Veder ) renamed Thallo, 1970 sold to Trans Pacific Marine, New Zealand not renamed, 1971 sold to New Hebrides not renamed, 1972 sold renamed Captain Scott, 1973 sold to Pacific International Lines, Singapore renamed Kota Mutiara, 1979 sold to Bangladesh renamed Jabbar,1990 stranded and lost at Chittagong. 498
Matar 1919 built by De Baanhoek v/h Th. Nederlof, Sliedrecht | 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen, Germany renamed Wido, 1922 sold to Reederei Dampfschiffahrt Ges. von 1896, Hamburg renamed Ostara, 1927 sold to Hanseatisch Dampfschifffahrt Ges., Hamburg not renamed, 1933 sold to Argo Reederei, Bremen not renamed, 1944 captured by Allied forces at Ghent, 1945 mined and heavy damaged, 1948 scrapped at Ghent. 1,297
Matar-N 1949 built by D. & J. Boot De Vooruitgang, Alphen aan den Rijn | 1952 renamed Asunción, 1955 sold to Kustvaartrederij Neerlandia renamed Neerlandia, 1969 sold to J. Hoekman & H.J. van der Plas not renamed , 1970 sold to Kuwait renamed Maymoonah, 1982 sprang leak in engine room and sank. 400
Megrez (1) 1909 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1917 off Light Vessel Noord Hinder shelled and sunk by German submarine U 53. 2,695
Megrez (2) 1918 built by J. & A. van der Schuit's Scheepswerven, Papendrecht | ex- Jan van Arkel, 1918 purchased from Stoomboot Reederij v/h J.& A. van der Schuijt, Rotterdam renamed Megrez, 1920 sold to Roland Line, Bremen renamed Karpin, 1922 sold to Unterweser Reederei renamed Bockenheim, 1924 sold to Norway renamed Askild, 1942 stranded and lost near Cape Race. 1,930
Megrez (3) 1961 built by Arnhemsche Scheepsbouw Mij., Arnhem | ex- Silver Comet built for Bonny Shipping Co., Guersney, ex- Silver Star 1968, ex- Gerda 1969, 1973 purchased from H. Pinkster, Groningen renamed Megrez, 1976 sold to Dionikos Shipping Co., Piraeus, Greece renamed Frigo King, 1981 sold to United Emirates renamed Iffco 1, 1987 scrapped at Gadani Beach. 1,297
Megrez-N 1952 built by Werf Gusto v/h A.F. Smulders, Schiedam | 1966 sold to Lebanon renamed Lebanese Sky, 1970 sold renamed Marina, 1970 stranded near Djeddah and total loss declared. 500
Menkar 1918 built by Wilton's Scheepsw. & Machine Fabr., Rotterdam | ex- Eigen Hulp III, 1918 purchased after building for Stoomboot Reederij v/h J.& A. Schuijt, Rotterdam and renamed Menkar, 1920 sold to de Roland Linie, Germany renamed Ilmar, 1925 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Lerche, 1933 sold to Argo Reederei, Bremen not renamed, 1935 sold to Fisser & Doornum, Emden renamed Franziska Hendrik Fisser, 1946 sold to Denmark renamed Vejsnaes, 1948 sold to Finland renamed Olivia, 1958 sold not renamed, 1963 scrapped at Abö. 1,148
Menkar-N 1952 built by Van Vliet & Co., Hardinxveld | 1971 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece not renamed, 1977 sold to Panama renamed Mistasam, 1979 renamed Menkar-N, 1979 sold to Georgetown renamed Cheryl-B, 1992 deleted from Register, still extant as a yacht. 498
Merak (1) 1910 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, 1918 shelled and sunk by German submarine U-140 under American flag. 3,024
Merak (2) 1920 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1927 sold to Kohlen Import Poseidon Schiffahrts AG, Königsberg renamed Ostpreussen, 1941 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine Britse Trident north off Tromsö. 3,014
Merak-N 1949 built by Gebr. van der Werf, Deest | 1963 sold to R. Buisman, Zwartsluis renamed Nanning Buisman, 1969 sold to Greece renamed Agia Irini, 1977 sold not renamed, 1979 sold to Cyprus renamed My Hope II, 1981 sold renamed Cleopatra, 1991 deleted from Register. 497
Meres 1963 built by Noord Ned. Scheepswerven, Groningen | ex- Sonja, 1973 purchased from H. Pinkster, Groningen renamed Meres, 1976 sold to Dionikos Shipping Co., Piraeus renamed Frigo Queen, 1981 laid up, 1982 sold to Cyprus renamed Frigo H, 1984 sold renamed Atlantic Reefer II, 1987 sold to Dubai not renamed, 1993 rebuilt 487 BRT. 1,111
Meres-N 1952 built by Werf Gusto v/h A.F. Smulders, Schiedam | 1966 sold to Lebanon renamed Lebanese Star, 1975 sold to Iran renamed Abadan Star, 1980 damaged in Iraq/Iran war in Shatt al Arab river, 1994 wreck still visible. 500
Mintaka-N 1954 built by T. van Duijvendijk's Scheepswerf, Lekkerkerk | 1972 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece not renamed, 1977 sold to Cyprus renamed Theonika, 1978 dragged anchors in heavy storm at Livorno and foundered. 500
Mirach 1917 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, 1919 reverted to Nigoco, 1932 temporary laid up, 1939 sold to Goulandris Bros., Piraeus, Greece renamed Cygnet, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by Italian submarine Enrico Tazzoli near San Salvador. 3,530
Mirach-N 1952 built by T. van Duijvendijk's Scheepswerf, Lekkerkerk | 1971 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece not renamed, 1977 sold to Panama renamed Silver Fox, 1979 renamed Mirach-N, 1980 sold to Georgetown renamed Sheri Lyn, 1986 laid up, 1987 scuttled as a artificial reef at Miami. 498
Mirfak 1918 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | ex- Ed. Munch purchased while building from Danish owner renamed Mirfak, 1919 stranded near Noordwijk, 1920 refloated and repaired, 1920 sold to Roland Line, Bremen renamed Justin, 1922 sold to Reederei AG von 1896, Hamburg renamed Olympia, 1927 sold to Hanseatisch Dampfschifffahrt Ges., Hamburg not renamed, 1930 sold to Ozean Dampfer AG, Hamburg renamed Breitenburg, 1935 sold to Sovtorgflot, Leningrad renamed Ohkta, 1960 deleted from Register. 1,360
Mirfak-N 1949 built by Bodewes Scheepswerven v/h Gebr. G. & H. Bodewes, Martenshoek | 1963 sold to R. Buisman, Zwartsluis renamed François Buisman, 1969 sold to Greece renamed Stavroula XII, 1981 sold to Honduras renamed Chrisoula, 1981 foundered near Cyprus. 497
Mirzam-N 1951 built by T. van Duijvendijk's Scheepswerf, Lekkerkerk | 1970 sold to Greece renamed Pelti, 1976 sold renamed Anna A., 1981 sold to Panama renamed Anna A I, 1984 sold to Greece renamed Bobby, 1987 scrapped at Brugge. 498
Mizar 1905 built by Bonn & Mees, Rotterdam | Ordered as Juanita but completed as Mizar, 1922 sold to Emder Reederei A.G., Emden, Germany renamed Ruth, 1924 sold to H. Grieg, Bergen, Norway renamed Graafjeld, 1933 sold to Finland renamed Aune H, 1958 scrapped at La Spezia. 2,020
Mizar-N 1948 built by D. & J. Boot De Vooruitgang, Alphen aan den Rijn | 1955 sold to Gebr. Beck, Groningen renamed Vanda, 1958 transferred to Beck's Scheepvaartkantoor not renamed, 1971 sold to Panama renamed Patricia, 1981 sold renamed Erifanis, 1992 deleted from Register. 400
Muphrid-N 1952 built by J. Pattje, Waterhuizen | 1964 sold to Norway renamed Jowinda, 1968 sold not renamed, 1970 sold renamed Tangfjord, 1973 sold renamed Hadarfjord, 1974 sold not renamed, 1975 sold to Greece renamed Lina, 1980 sold to Lebanon renamed Maha T, 1981 sold idem, 1981 sold Noha K, 1995 existence in doubt. 494
Nashira 1961 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1969 transferred to Galaxy Shipping & Trading Corp., Monrovia not renamed, 1972 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece same name, 1977 sold to Dionikos Shipping Co., Piraeus renamed Solon, 1979 sold renamed Ritsa M, 1984 sold to Malta renamed Kythera Bridge, 1985 sold renamed Iskandar M, 1990 sold to Honduras renamed Zaher II, 1993 sold not renamed, 2003 sold idem. 799
Norrsundet 1989 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1993 sold to Coldstream Shipper, Willemstad N.A. renamed Coldstream Shipper, 1996 sold to Ahlmarco renamed Fryken. 4,059
Nusakan 1958 built by Gebr. Van Diepen, Waterhuizen | 1968 sold to Nigoco, Hamburg not renamed, 1971 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece not renamed , 1979 sold renamed Georgios D, 1982 renamed Armenistis I. 993
Nushaba 1961 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1969 transferred to Galaxy Shipping & Trading Corp., Monrovia not renamed, 1972 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece same name, 1977 sold to Dionikos Shipping Co., Piraeus renamed Filon, 1982 sold to Compania Paraguaya de Nav. de Ultramar, Paraguay renamed Encarnación, 1983 partly scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht, 1984 scrapping completed at Ghent. 799
Perregaux 1954 built by T. van Duijvendijk's Scheepswerf, Lekkerkerk | 1972 sold to Dominikaanse Republiek renamed Rio Yuna, 1993 laid up, 1999 deleted from Lloyd's Register. 499
Phecda (1) 1906 built by Bonn & Mees, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, 1919 reverted to Nigoco, 1922 sold to Emder Reederei A.G., Emden, Germany renamed Hildegard, 1923 renamed Frithjof, 1924 sold to Emder Dampferkompagnie, Emden renamed Tagila, 1945 scuttled in Skagerak with obsolete gas ammunition. 2,637
Phecda (2) 1953 built by Werf Gusto v/h A.F. Smulders, Schiedam | Ordered as Biscaya for Dammers & van der Heide, Rotterdam, purchased and completed as Phecda, 1972 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece not renamed, 1973 sunk in collision near Marseille, 1973 wreck raised and scrapped. 500
Poolster 1907 built by A. Vuijk & Zn, Capelle aan den IJssel | ex- Carl Lehnkering, 1911 purchased from Joh. Otten &n Zn., Rotterdam renamed Poolster, 1915 sold to Gebr. van Uden, Rotterdam not renamed, 1915 sold to Svensen & Jespersen, Denmark renamed Matti, 1915 sold idem, 1918 sold idem, 1921 sold to Japan renamed Shunzan Maru, 1929 stranded and lost near Takeshima. 2,060
Procyon 1915 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, 1919 reverted to Nigoco, 1932 laid up, 1934 sold to Morflot, Leningrad renamed Novgorod, 1935 transferred to Sovtorgflot, Leningrad renamed Magnitogorsk,1941 seized by Germans renamed Trostburg, 1942 in Hamburg damaged by British air raid, 1947 raised and scrapped at Hamburg. 3,566
Rochab 1960 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1979 laid up, 1980 sold to Greece renamed Talis-H, 1980 sold to Liberia same name, 1984 laid up, 1984 sold to Malta renamed Apostolis, 1984 renamed Rochab, 1986 sold to Honduras renamed Al Khaled, 1993 sold to Lebanon renamed Al Khaled I, 2001 renamed Miriam, 2001 scrapped at Mumbai. 787
Sertan (1) 1957 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1960 hit pole in Manchester Channel and sunk, total loss, 1962 raised repaired and in service as Jonetta for Norwegian owners L. R. Johansen & K.A. Knutsen, 1963 capsized and sunk in heavy weather near Namsos. 499
Sertan (2) 1954 built by Stülcken Werft, Hamburg | ex- Leanna built for Leo Adams Reederei, Hamburg, ex- Sheliak 1962, ex- Lebanese Wave, 1970 purchased from Compagnie Libanaise de Nav. Cotiere d'Outre Mer renamed Sertan, 1971 sold to Greek Holland Shiping, Greece not renamed, 1971 renamed Ilios, 1972 sold renamed Platana, 1979 sold to Panama renamed Alassia. 1,983
Sertan (3) 1978 built by C. Amels & Zoon, Makkum | 1987 sold to Regelsea Shipping Ltd., Limassol, Cyprus, (Van Zandvoort Shipping PVBA, Antwerpen) renamed Lady Lienke, 1989 sold to Greece renamed Pelchaser, 1992 1,564 BRT, 2004 sold to Rina Marine Co., Wonsan-Noord Korea renamed Aurelia M. 1,270
Sheratan (1) 1953 built by N.D.S.M., Amsterdam | Tanker, 1956 sold to Thor Dahl, Norway renamed Thorstar, 1965 sold to Liberia renamed Geodor, 1970 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 12,557
Sheratan (2) 1959 built by Gebr. Van Diepen, Waterhuizen | 1967 sold to Nigoco, Hamburg not renamed, 1971 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece not renamed, 1977 stranded near Kenitra and total loss, 1978 scrapped. 993
Sirrah (1) 1917 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1932 temporary laid up, 1939 sold to Goulandris Bros., Piraeus, Greece renamed Halcyon, 1942 shelled and sunk by German submarine U-109 northeast off the Bermuda’s with the loss of 3 lives. 3,530
Sirrah (2) 1953 built by N.D.S.M., Amsterdam | Tanker, 1965 sold to Liberia renamed Dona Youla, 1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 12,463
Situla (1) 1961 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | 1973 sold to Compania Paraguaya de Nav. de Ultramar, Paraguay renamed Villarrica, 1982 sold to Cayman Islands renamed Yokamu, 1987 sold to Columbia renamed Isla Bolivar, 1993 sold same name, 2000 sold renamed Grand'Anse. 799
Situla (2) 1970 built by E.J. Smit & Zoon's, Westerbroek | ex- Jytte Danielsen, 1976 purchased from Otto Danielsen, Copenhagen renamed Situla, 1981 sold to Compania Paraguaya de Nav. de Ultramar, Paraguay renamed Asunción, 1988 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co. renamed Jiu Long. 1,600
Skutskar 1989 built by Van der Giessen de Noord, Alblasserdam | 1993 sold to Coldstream Shipper, Willemstad N.A. renamed Coldstream Merchant, 1996 sold to Ahlmarco renamed Saxen. 4,059
Talita (1) 1918 built by C. Boele & Zn, Slikkerveer | purchased while building from Stoombootreederij J. & A. van der Schuyt, Rotterdam, 1920 sold to Roland line, Bremen, Germany renamed Grandon, 1925 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 sold to Argo Reederei, Bremen renamed Specht, 1939 to German Kriegsmarine and converted into a water boat, 1952 sold to Wilh. Jork Jr., Hamburg renamed Willy Joerk, 1953 scrapped at Hamburg. 761
Talita (2) 1961 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes 1968 transferred to Galaxy Shipping & Trading Corp., Monrovia not renamed, 1972 sold to Greek Holland Shipping, Greece, not renamed, 1977 sold to Dionikos Shipping Co., Piraeus renamed Fedros, 1980 sold to Georgetown same name, 1986 sold to Venezuela renamed King Julio, 1988 sold to Panama renamed Aphormarjegs 8, 1991 sold to Honduras renamed Sonia. 799
Thuban (1) 1915 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by US Government, 1919 reverted to Nigoco, 1932 laid up, 1934 sold to Morflot, Leningrad renamed Vytebsk, 1935 transferred to Sovtorgflot, Leningrad renamed Chapaev, 1942 sunk by German air attack at Feodosia, later raised and back in service, 1960 deleted from Register. 3,566
Thuban (2) 1957 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1964 sold to L. R. Johansen & K.A. Knutsen, Norway renamed Jovista, 1966 sold renamed Petro Minor, 1968 sold renamed Jovista, 1970 sold to Marinex Gravel Ltd, Great Britain renamed Marinex III, 1973 sold to W.N. Lindsey, Leith renamed Rosemarkie, 1977 sold to Panama renamed Carlizanne, 1985 scrapped in Spanje. 500
Yildum 1914 built by Rotterdamsche Droogdok Mij, Rotterdam | 1918 seized by British Government, 1919 reverted to Nigoco, 1932 laid up, 1934 sold to E. Nylund, Finland not renamed, 1944 sunk in collision southwest off Newfoundland. 3,234
Zosma (1) 1922 built by Scheepsbouw Mij De Nieuwe Waterweg, Schiedam | 1931 sold to VNS renamed Zuiderkerk, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U 556 in Convoy SL 119 and later sunk by British patrol ship Leith. 8,429
Zosma (2) 1958 built by De Vooruitgang, Gebr. Suurmeijer, Foxhol | 1963 sold to Compania Paraguaya de Nav. de Ultramar, Paraguay renamed Villarica, 1972 sold to Cyprus renamed Pan, 1975 sold renamed Trias, 1982 sold renamed Vassiliki K, 1987 sold idem, 1988 renamed Ermioni, 1993 sold renamed Al Salam, 1994 sold renamed Express I, 2000 scrapped at Karachi. 776

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: February 19, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli