Northland Navigation Company, British Columbia, Canada
Formed in 1944 as the British Columbia Steamship Co., it
changed it's name in 1954 to Northland Navigation Co. In 1959 they purchased
the fleet of Union
SS Co. of BC. They discontinued services in 1976.
__I don't know if this is complete__
Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data.
The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an
all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like
to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship
Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant
Ship web site.
||Years in Service
||built as Princess Norah for Canadian
Pacific, 1955 renamed Queen of the North, 1958 sold to Northland
renamed Canadian Prince, 1964 engines removed and converted to
|| built as Ottawa Mayferry, later named City of Belleville,
1951 purchased by Union SS Co.
renamed Capilano III, 1959 sold Northland renamed Haida Prince, 1967
sold Cayman Islands renamed Island Prince III, 1992 deleted from
|Island Prince (1)
||wooden hull, 123ft
x 28.8ft, built 1908 by W. Turpel, Victoria BC as the LEEBRO for
Leeming Bros, Victoria, BC. 1923 sold to Pacific Salvage Co., Victoria
renamed SALVOR, 1942 purchased by British Columbia SS Co., Vancouver,
converted to motor vessel and renamed Island Prince, 1962 company
renamed Northland Shipping Co., 1964 sold to Merchant Marine Cadet
Association, Vancouver renamed MMCS BEAVER, then several private
owners until 1970 when reported as sunken derelict near Dollarton,
Burrard Inlet. 1977 reported broken up.
|Island Prince (2)
||ISLAND PRINCE (2) 1,782 tons, 256 ft x 40.1ft, built
1958 as HOEGH ARIANE for Hoegh Line, Norway, 1965 sold to British
Columbia SS Co. renamed Island Prince, 1968 transferred to Northland
Shipping Co., 1977 sold Greece renamed SARATOGA, 1982 sold Honduras
D, 1984 sold Cayman Islands renamed LINDA G, 1986 scrapped.
|| built as FS-242 for U.S. Gov't, 1948 renamed Pomare
for South Seas Shipping Co., Honolulu, 1951 Aleutian SS Co., Seattle,
1952 owned in Mexico, 1953 renamed Princess of Alberni for Canadian
Pacific, 1958 purchased by Northland renamed Nootka Prince, 1959
sold to Crown Zellerbach, Vancouver renamed Ocean Crown, 1985 sold
to National Ltd, Georgetown, CI, 1985 sank off Santa Marta, Columbia.
|Northern Prince II
|| built as Maythorne, 1948 renamed Anne Louise for
Andersen, Esbjerg, Denmark, 1956 purchased by Northland renamed Northern
Prince II, 1972 renamed Northern Prince, 1975 sold Mexico renamed
Cedros, 1982 wrecked Baja California.
|| wooden hull, built as YMS-118 for U.S. Navy, 1951
purchased by Northland renamed Pacific Prince, 1962 sold to Northwest
Shipping Co., Vancouver, 1967 sank in Gulf of Alaska.
||built as Ottawa Page, sold to NF renamed Blue Peter
II, 1951 purchased by Union SS
Co. renamed Cassiar III, 1959 sold to Northland renamed Skeena
Prince, 1976 sold Panama renamed Victoria II, 1992 deleted from registers.
|| ex- Granit, 1923 purchased from Harald Grenske, Skien
by Bergen Steamship Co., renamed
Columba, 1944 purchased by Union
SS Co. renamed Island King, 1954 renamed Chilliwack III, 1959
sold to Northland renamed Tahsis Prince, 15th Mar. 1968 beached after
striking rock near Estevan, Vancouver Island, sold, refloated and
cut down to pontoon for logging operations.
TheShipsList | Return
to The Fleets
TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-present
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion
without written consent of
Last updated: September 03, 2010 and maintained by
and M. Kohli