FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Roland Line / Roland Linie Aktien Gesellschaft 1905-1925 Bremen

A fortnightly service was started in 1893 by the Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL) the Roland Linie Aktien Gesellschaft, called Roland Linie. The Roland Linie sailed from Bremen to New York with steerage passengers and cargo. The NDL ended this service in 1897.

The Roland Linie AG was founded at the end of 1905 as a independent shipping company to open new routes to the west coast of North America, later extended to west and east coast of South America and the Caribbean. The first ships the TURPIN (ex Freiburg, 1899) and LAMBERT (ex Marburg, 1900) were purchased from the Norddeutscher Lloyd and a new ship the HOLGER was taken over from the Swan, Hunter & Wigham Yard at Wallsend on Tyne in 1906.

At the beginning of World War I the Roland Linie owned fifteen ships. In 1914 the Roland Linie started a tramp shipping company the Hafenbetriebs Gesellschaft Chile, Bremen in 1915 restyled as Globus Reederei GmbH. Four ships were lost during the conflict and after the armistice the rest of the fleet had to be delivered to the Allies.

In 1920 the Roland Linie was back on the seven seas again with several ships and at the end of that year the sailings to the west coast of South America were started. At the end of 1922 the Roland Linie got the majority of shares of the Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo AG and Argo was merged into the Roland Linie AG in the beginning of 1923. A new company Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH was founded and took over the European services from the Roland Linie.
The Norddeutscher Lloyd took over the Roland Linie AG at the end of 1925 and fleet and personnel were merged into the Norddeutscher Lloyd in 1925/1926 which transferred its European services to a new company the Roland Linie Aktien Gesellschaft and existed under NDL banner, (later Hapag Lloyd) untill 1992.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • West Coast of South America
    • West Coast of Central America and Mexico
    • West Coast of North America
    • Bremen-London
    • Bremen-Hull
    • Bremen-Middlesbrough-Newcastle
    • Hamburg-London
    • Bremen- Finland
    • Bremen-Reval
    • Bremen-Hamburg-Canary Islands
    • Hamburg-Bremen-Rotterdam-Antwerp-Mediterranean

Funnel & Flags:

Fleet:

Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Adler 1900 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Adler built for DG Argo, 1914 to German Imperial Navy renamed Kohlenschiff II, 1914 reverted to DG Argo, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and chartered back, 1921 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1938 renamed Aar, 1938 sold to F. Italo Groce, Geno, Italy renamed Ezilda Groce, 1950 scrapped. 1,304
Aegina 1923 built by AG Weser, Bremen | ex- Aegina built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Naimes, 1925 renamed Arta, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1935 to Atlas Levante Linie same name, 1941 sunk by British destroyer Janus. 2,452
Albatross 1915 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | ex- Albatross, completed in 1917 for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, renamed Falke in service for Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1953 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1954 scrapped at Hamburg. 985
Alda (1) 1913 built by J. C. Tecklenborg A.G., Geestemünde | 1914 interned at Antofagasta, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 to Pacific Steam Nav. Co. renamed Magellan, 1934 scrapped. 6,706
Alda (2) 1921 built by AG Vulcan, Stettin | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1936 renamed Eisenach, 1939 rebuilt to 4,423 tons, 1939 laid up at Punta Arenas, 1941 scuttled to avoid capture, 1941 refloated, 1942 to Cia. Oceanica renamed Oceanica, 1942 sold same name, 1943 renamed Ultramarino, 1951 re-purchased by NDL renamed Traunstein in service of Roland Linie, 1960 laid up, 1960 scrapped. 4,177
Alk 1924 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 allocated to Great Britain renamed Empire Contest, 1946 to USSR renamed Vereshyagin, 1960 out of Lloyd’s Register. 1,175
Alrich (1) 1913 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1914 interned at Rio de Janeiro, 1917 seized by Brazilian Government Parnahyba, 1923 managed by Lloyd Brasileiro, 1927 purchased by Lloyd Brasileiro, 1 May 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.162 with the loss of 4 lives. 6,692
Alrich (2) 1921 built by F. Schickau AG, Danzig | ex- Glücksburg, 1923 purchased from Flensburger DC, Hamburg renamed Alrich, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1937 sold to Hamburg Sudamerikanische DG renamed Sao Paulo, 9 April 1940 mined and sunk near Bergen. 4,983
Altair 1922 built by Nordseewerke AG, Emden | ex- Altair built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Raimund, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1936 renamed Norderney, 1939 laid up at Para, 9 August 1941 sunk by British auxilary cruiser Pretoria Castle. 3,667
Amsel 1921 built by Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik vorm. Janssen & Schmilinsky A.G., Hamburg | ex- Minna, 1923 purchased from Flensburger DC, Hamburg renamed Amsel, 1927 sold to Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij. (KNSM), Amsterdam renamed Proteus, 1934 sold to Norske Amerika Linje, Norway renamed Le Norvegien II, 1952 sold to India renamed Mahahursheed, 1960 scrapped at Karachi. 1,065
Anatolia 1923 built by AG Weser, Bremen | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1940 seized by Argentine to Cia. Argentina de Nav. Lloyd not renamed, 1942 renamed Santa Fe, 1943 to Flota Mercante del Estado renamed Rio Carcarana, 1956 sold renamed Anamar, 1969 scrapped. 2,446
Angora 1923 built by J. Frerichs & Co., Einswarden | ex- Elisabeth Kimme, 1925 purchased from H. Kimme AG, Bremen renamed Angora, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Linie same name, 1937 renamed Konya, 1939 sold to R.L. Bornhofen renamed Elisabeth Bornhofen, 1944 bombed and sunk near Bergen. 2,298
Ansgir (1) 1918 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1 December 1920 wrecked near Penzance. 6,486
Ansgir (2) 1921 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | Launched as Octavia for Rhederei AG von 1896 but completed as Ansgir for the Roland Linie, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1936 renamed Anhalt, 27 December 1941 beached after being attacked by British destroyers. 4,599
Antares 1922 built by Nordseewerke AG, Emden | ex- Antares built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Ingram, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1936 renamed Borkum, 1939 captured by the British and subsequently shelled by German submarine U.33, beached and lost. 3,670
Antell 1895 built by Wigham, Richardson & Co., Newcastle on Tyne | ex- Hathor built for DGG Kosmos, Hamburg, 1911 sold to Continentale Rhederei AG, Hamburg renamed Jenfeld, 1914 interned in Argentine, 1920 by own crew disabled, 1920 repaired and sold in 1921 to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Antell, 1921 allocated as a war prize to The Shipping Controller, London, 1922 sold to Paulsen & Ivers, Kiel renamed Real, 1927 sold to Societe Maritimes Coloniale, Marseille, France renamed Ville de Damas, 1931 sold to SA Cooperative de Navigation, Marseille, France not renamed, 1931 scrapped at La Spezia. 3,610
Arcturus 1922 built by Nordseewerke AG, Emden | ex- Arcturus built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Riol, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1936 renamed Helgoland, 1939 laid up at Puerto Colombia, 1941 sunk in ice off coast Finland. 3,664
Arkadia 1922 built by AG Weser, Bremen | ex- Arkadia built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Aegina, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1941 sunk by British destroyer Janus. 2,453
Arta   see Aegina.  
Athena 1923 built by J. Frerichs & Co., Einswarden | ex- Irma Kimme, 1925 purchased from H. Kimme AG, Bremen renamed Athena, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1933 sold to Sovtorgflot, Leningrad renamed Ilmen, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 2,288
Atta 1896 built by Richardson, Duck & Co., Stocton on Tees | ex- Troja built for De Freitas 1900 transferred to Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien Gesellschafft (Hapag) not renamed, 1914 purchased renamed Atta, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1922 sold to D. Lemos, Greece renamed Antonios, 1923 sunk after explosion in the Atlantic. 2,720
Attika 1923 built by AG Weser, Bremen | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1938 sold to Hellenic Lines renamed Anghyra, 1944 sold renamed Spartan, 1947 sold to Sweden renamed Nordic, 1950 sold to Germany renamed Hubert Schröder, 1955 stranded and lost. 2,447
Atto (1) 1911 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1919 allocated to Great Britain, to David Steamship Co. renamed St. Augustine Abbey, 1921 sold to Vereenigde Nederlandsche Scheepvaartmaatschappij (VNS), s’Gravenhage renamed Hoogkerk, 1945 used as stationary school ship, 1949 renamed Veteraan, 1958 scrapped at Rotterdam. 5,169
Atto (2) 1922 built by AG Vulcan, Stettin | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1935 transferred to Deutsche Levante Linie same name, 1936 renamed Adana, 1941 sunk by British warships. 4,176
Bakara 1913 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- Cannstatt, 1925 purchased from Deutsch Australische DG renamed Bakara, 1925 renamed Witell, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1937 sold to Hamburg Sudamerikanische DG renamed Rosario, 1946 to Denmark, 1948 sold to Finland renamed Albertina, 1950 sold renamed Kotka, 1956 with obsolete ammunition sunk in Atlantic. 6,122
Baramba 1912 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- Hobart, 1925 purchased from Deutsch Australische DG renamed Baramba, 1925 renamed Justin, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1933 scrapped. 6,053
Berengar 1911 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 interned at Talcahuano, Chile, 1921 allocated to Great Britain, 1923 sold to Oakwin SS Co., Bideport renamed General Botha, 1927 purchased by NDL renamed Berengar, 1934 chartered to Hamburg Sud, 1935 sold to Hamburg Sud same name, 1937 renamed Petropolis, 1945 stranded in the River Elbe and wrecked later scrapped. 4,849
Billung 1918 built by Haarlemsche Scheepsbouw Mij, Haarlem | ex- Industrie, 1918 purchased by Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) while building from Stoombootreederij J. & A. van der Schuyt, Rotterdam renamed Adara, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen, Germany renamed Billung, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Meise, 1944 sunk after Allied air attack at Brest, 1946 wreck scrapped. 821
Bonn 1922 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | ex- Bonn built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Sperber, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1940 in service for German Kriegsmarine, 1945 ceded to France, 1946 renamed Etel, 1948 sold to L. Dreyfus & Cie., Dunkerque renamed Commandant G. Guena, 1949 sold to Cie de Nav. Paquet, Dunkerque renamed Oued Noun, 1954 sold to Vietnam renamed Houng Khanh, 1991/1992 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 889
Boonah 1912 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- Melbourne 1914 seized by Australia at Sydney, from Deutsch-Australische Line renamed Boonah, 1925 purchased from Australian Commonwealth Line renamed Witram, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1937 sold to Hamburg Sudamerikanische DG renamed Buenos Aires, 1 May 1940 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine HMS Narwhal near Skagen. 6,147
Bussard   see Siegen.  
Cavalla 1912 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Frankfurt built for DG Argo, 1919 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Cavalla, 1920 transferred to Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien Gesellschaft, Hamburg (Hapag) but stayed under DLL flag, 1923 sold to Roland Linie same name, 1925/26 Roland Linie taken over by NDL, 1926 management to DLL, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Linie, Bremen, 1939 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Millers Nachf., Hamburg renamed Falkenberg, 1945 sunk after torpedo hit off Christiansand, salvaged allocated to the Netherlands Government renamed Juri, 1947 sold to Panama same name, 1949 sunk after striking mine. 1,661
Cöln 1914 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | ex- Cöln built for DG Argo, 1914 seized at Petrograd by Russian Government renamed Kotlin, 1916 renamed Lena, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH renamed Yalta, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles renamed Etienne de Flacourt, 1928 transferred to Soc. Marit. Indochinoise renamed Gouverneur General Piquet, 1934 sold to Union Maritime Mediteranee renamed Sargasse, 1938 sold renamed La Marsa, 1942 seized by Italians renamed Tivoli, 1947 Carlotta, 1955 sold renamed Anna Rosa, 1959 sold renamed Andalu, 1959 scrapped. 1,495
Condor   see Koblenz.  
Dortmund 1900 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Dortmund built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, renamed Strauss, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1927 sold to F. Schmitz, Duisburg renamed Ilse Reichel, 1931 sold to W. Luers, Hamburg renamed Egeran, 1939 disappeared at sea. 986
Durendart 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 14 October 1914 sunk as a blockship in harbour of Tsingtau. 3,844
Düsseldorf 1909 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Toreador built for J. D. Stürken, Bremen, ex- Düsseldorf 1916, 1918 captured by British warships off Norway renamed Poldorf, 1919 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, renamed Falke in service for Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1934 to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for German Kriegsmarine renamed V 104, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 34, later Sperrbrecher 134, 8 August 1944 bombed and sunk of Lorient. 997
Elster   see Freiburg.  
Falke   see Düsseldorf (2)  
Freiburg 1922 built by Schiffbaugesellschaft Unterweser mbH, Wesermünde | ex- Freiburg built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Elster, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1941 to Kriegsmarine renamed Sperrbrecher 60, later Sperrbrecher 160, 16 August 1942 beached off Den Helder after being mined.
1,136
Ganelon (1) 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1907 sold to H.C. Horn, Schleswig renamed Hilda Horn, 1911 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Tinos, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, 1916 seized by the Allies, transferred to French Government renamed Le Bourget, 1921 sold to Ch. Schiaffino & Cie., Algiers renamed Laurent Schiaffino, 1925 sold to Polish Government renamed Wilja, 1940 to Exile Polish Government renamed Modlin, 1944 scuttled as a blockship at Normandy coast, 1946 wreck salvaged and scrapped. 3,587
Ganelon (2) 1907 built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle | 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1920 to Ellerman & Bucknall renamed City of Batavia, 1938 sold to Societa Anonima Industria Armamento renamed Voluntas, 1941 seized by Argentine Government and purchased by FME renamed Rio Teuco, 1946 reverted to owner renamed Voluntas 1949 renamed Volonta, 1955 wrecked at Ushant. 5,586
Geier 1924 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG not renamed, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 allocated to Norway renamed Slettness, 1946 to USSR renamed Elets, 1964 out of Lloyd’s Register. 1,174
Gerfrid (1) 1913 built by Earle's Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Ltd., Hull | ex- Federico Glavic built for Nav. a Vapeur Unione, Ragusa, 1916 seized by German Government allocated to to Globus Reederei renamed Gerfrid, 1919 allocated Great Britain, managed by C.T. Bowring & Co., 1920 sold to St. Just SS Co, Cardiff renamed Royal City. 5,281
Gerfrid (2) 1895 built by Workman, Clark & Co. Ltd., Belfast | ex- Teenkai, 1922 purchased from China Mutual Steam Nav. Co., London for Globus Reederei and renamed Gerfrid, 1927 sold to Pereira Carneiro & Cia of Rio de Janeiro, Brasil renamed Merity, 1971 scrapped. 4,742
Germar 1883 built by Möller & Holberg, Stettin | ex- Gauss, 1919 purchased from DG Neptun, Bremen for Globus Reederei and later renamed Germar, 23 March 1922 sunk by ice near Hangö. 442
Gernis 1913 built by Wm. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Harlow, 1914 purchased from J. & C. Harrison renamed Gernis, 1914 interned at Sabang, 1918 to the Netherlands as a war reparation, to Nederlandsch Amerikaansche Scheepvaart Maatschappij (HAL), Rotterdam renamed Noorderdijk, 1931 sold renamed Provvidenza, 1940 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine Truant near Istrië. 6,550
Gerrat (1) 1883 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | ex- Leander, 1917 purchased from DG Neptun, Bremen for Globus Reederei and later renamed Gerrat, 1922 sold to Leonhardt & Blumberg, Hamburg, 1923 renamed Eberhardt, 1926 sold to Reederei J. Ick, Hamburg, 1928 sold to L. & C. Podesta, Genoa renamed Sandrina Podesta, 1931 sold to SA Naviera, 1931 stranded and 1932 scrapped. 574
Gerrat (2) 1917 built by Schiffbaugesellschaft Unterweser mbH, Wesermünde | ex- Oda built for DS Vesterhavet, Esbjerg, 1923 purchased for Gkobus Reederei renamed Hentsch, 1923 renamed Gerrat, 1927 sold to C Rehder, Hamburg. 854
Gerwin 1890 built by Eriksberg MV., Eriksberg | ex- Jason, 1918 purchased from DG Neptun, Bremen for Globus Reederei and renamed Gerwin, 7 November 1921 sunk in storm after striking submerged wreckage. 344
Grandon 1918 built by C. Boele & Zn, Slikkerveer | ex- Talita purchased by Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) while building from Stoombootreederij J. & A. van der Schuyt, Rotterdam, 1920 sold to Roland line, Bremen, Germany renamed Grandon, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 sold to Argo Reederei, Bremen renamed Specht, 1939 to German Kriegsmarine and converted into a water boat, 1952 sold to Wilh. Jork Jr., Hamburg renamed Willy Joerk, 1953 scrapped at Hamburg. 761
Greif 1923 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | Ordered by DG Argo, completed after merger with Roland Linie, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, Bremen same name, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 12 November 1944 sunk by British warships near Egersud. 996
Haimon (1) 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1907 sold to H.C. Horn, Schleswig renamed Horncap, 1911 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Pyrgos, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Belgian Government same name, 1921 sold to Armement Deppe, Antwerp renamed Roumanie, 1942 sunk by German submarine U 617 in Northern Atlantic. 3,588
Haimon (2) 1911 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1919 allocated to Great Britain, to Reardon Smith Line renamed Quebec City, 1927 Sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd renamed Haimon (for Roland Linie Aktien Gesellschaft), 1935 scrapped at Bremen. 4,924
Haimon (3) 1898 built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg | ex- Antonina, 1922 purchased from Hamburg Sudamerikanische DG renamed Haimon, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1927 renamed Ancona, 1927 sold to Brazil renamed Pirangy, 1957 sold not renamed, 1960 sold for scrap, 1961 scrapped. 3,810
Hanna Kimme 1923 built by J. Frerichs & Co., Einswarden | ex- Hanna Kimme, 1925 purchased from H. Kimme AG, Bremen not renamed, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Achaia, 1931 sold to Flensburger Dampfer Co., Flensburg renamed Troyburg, 1941 stranded and lost. 2,268
Hebe 1890 built by C. Connel & Co., Glasgow | ex- Banda built for Hamburg Calcutta Linie, Hamburg, ex- Totmes for DGG Kosmos, 1904 to Hamburg Amerikanische Paketfahrt Aktien Gesellschafft (Hapag), 1905 renamed Caledonia, 1912 sold to Wm. Eisenach, Stettin, renamed Wm. Eisenach 1915 sold to Hafenbetriebs Gesellschaft Chile, Bremen (subsidiary of Roland Linie) renamed Hebe, 1915 transferred to Globus Reederei, 1920 ceded to Great Britain not renamed, 1922 scrapped. 3,035
Hera 1889 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., Sunderland | ex- Rüdesheimer built for DDG Hansa, ex- Paula Peters, 1915 sold to Hafenbetriebs Gesellschaft Chile, Bremen (subsidiary of Roland Linie) renamed Hera, 1915 transferred to Globus Reederei, 1916 torpedoed and sunk by Russian submarine Volk off Norrkoping. 2,848
Holger 1906 built by Swan Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle | 1915 interned at Buenos Aires, 1921 allocated to Great Britain, 1925/1926 transferred to NDL with Roland Line not renamed, 1932 sold to Sovtorgflot, Odessa renamed Tashkent, 1960 out of Lloyd’s register. 5,555
Ibis 1920 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | ex- Lotte built for Rob M. Sloman Jr., Hamburg, ex- Albert Sauber 1920, 1923 purchased by Roland Linie renamed Ibis, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1952 company restyled as Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Söhne, Bremen, 1954 scrapped. 593
Ilmar 1918 built by Wilton's Scheepsw. & Machine Fabr., Rotterdam | ex- Eigen Hulp III, 1918 purchased after building for Stoomboot Reederij v/h J.& A. Schuijt, Rotterdam by Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) and renamed Menkar, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Germany renamed Ilmar, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Lerche, 1933 sold to Argo Reederei, Bremen not renamed, 1935 sold to Fisser & Doornum, Emden renamed Franziska Hendrik Fisser, 1946 sold to Denmark renamed Vejsnaes, 1948 sold to Finland renamed Olivia, 1958 sold not renamed, 1963 scrapped at Abö. 1,148
Ingram   see Antares.  
Justin (1) 1918 built by Boele's Scheepswerven & Machinefabriek, Bolnes | ex- Ed. Munch purchased while building from Danish owner by Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Mirfak, 1919 stranded near Noordwijk, 1920 refloated and repaired, 1920 sold to Roland Line, Bremen renamed Justin, 1922 sold to Reederei AG von 1896, Hamburg renamed Olympia, 1927 sold to Hanseatisch Dampfschifffahrt Ges., Hamburg not renamed, 1930 sold to Ozean Dampfer AG, Hamburg renamed Breitenburg, 1935 sold to Sovtorgflot, Leningrad renamed Ohkta, 1960 deleted from Register. 1,360
Justin (2)   see Baramba.  
Karpin 1918 built by J. & A. van der Schuit's Scheepswerven, Papendrecht | ex- Jan van Arkel, 1918 purchased from Stoomboot Reederij v/h J.& A. van der Schuijt, Rotterdam by Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Megrez, 1920 sold to Roland Line, Bremen renamed Karpin, 1922 sold to Unterweser Reederei renamed Bockenheim, 1924 sold to Norway renamed Askild, 1942 stranded and lost near Cape Race. 2,029
Koblenz 1922 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | ex- Koblenz built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Condor, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for German Kriegsmarine, 20 April 1944 bombed and sunk off Schiermonnikoog by British warplanes. 889
Lambert 1900 built by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Marburg, 1906 transferred from Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL) renamed Lambert, 1908 destroyed by fire. 1926 transferred to NDL with Roland Line not renamed, 1932 scrapped. 5,967
Möwe 1912 built by Seebeck AG, Gesstemünde | ex- Möwe built for DG Argo, 1915 in sevice for German Imperial Navy, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles renamed Maréchal Galliénni, 1954 scrapped. 1,251
Murla (1) 1920 built by J. & A. van der Schuit's Scheepswerven, Papendrecht | Launched without a name for Dutch owner, 1920 purchased and named Murla, 1922 sold to Schleppschiffahrtsgesellschaft renamed Heddernheim. 1,970
Murla (2) 1918 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- Forst, 1924 purchased from Deutsch Australische DG renamed Murla, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1932 sold to Sovtorgflot, Russia renamed Minsk, 1960 not registered anymore. 5,850
Naimes (1) 1907 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1919 managed by Andrew Weir & Co., 1920 sold to Glover Bros, London renamed Woron, 1927 sold to A/B Naxos Prince (R. Mattson manager), Finland renamed Kastelholm, 6 June 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.559. 5,332
Naimes (2)   see Aegina.  
Olivant 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1914 interned at Havana, 1917 seized by Cuba. 3,841
Pera 1918 built by Nüscke & Co. AG, Stettin | ex- Trostburg, 1923 purchased from DDG Hansa renamed Pera, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 sold to Messageries Maritimes renamed Le Myre de Vilers, 1928 transferred to Cie. Maritime Indo-Chinois renamed Governeur General Paul Doumer, 1935 reverted to MM not renamed, 1938 sold renamed Laos, 1942 lost in storm. 1,467
Phönix 1913 built by Stettiner Oderwerke AG, Stettin | ex- Phönix built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1939 in service for German Kriegsmarine renamed V 106, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 36, later Sperrbrecher 136, 25 August 1944 scuttled by own crew at St. Nazaire. 1,166
Prutan 1912 built by C. Lühring, Hammelwarden | ex- Adler, 1916 purchased from Partenreederei D. Adler, Oldenburg renamed Prutan, 1925/1926 transferred to NDL with Roland Line not renamed, 1926 sold to Baltische Reederei, Hamburg renamed Piteälf, 1933 sold to Mathies Reederei, Hamburg same name, 1949 stranded in River Weser and lost. 333
Raimund (1) 1915 built by AG Weser, Bremen | 1919 allocated to France, 1920 awarded to Messageries Maritimes as war reparations renamed Yalou, 1940 seized by Germans at Marseilles, 1942 transferred to Italy renamed Rovereto, 1943 burned at Bizerta after air attack. 6,783
Raimund (2)   see Altair.  
Rapot (1) 1918 built by J. & A. van der Schuit's Scheepswerven, Papendrecht | ex- Stad Rotterdam, 1918 purchased while building from Stoombootreederij J. & A. van der Schuyt, Rotterdam bij Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Alamak, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Bremen renamed Rapot, 1922 sold to Unterweser Reederei, Bremen renamed Gonzenheim, 1924 sold to Norway renamed Blink, 1931 foundered in White Sea off Cape Orloff. 1,918
Rapot (2) 1920 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | Ordered as Crefeld, launched as Rapot for Roland Linie, Bremen, 1920 sold while building to Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Aldebaran, 1940 seized by Germans, 1945 reverted to Nigoco, 1950 sold to Italy renamed Aldebaran D, 1958 sold not renamed, 1961 sold to Fratelli Grimaldi not renamed, 1961 scrapped at La Spezia. 7,698
Rapot (3) 1923 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1935 chartered to Hamburg Sudamerikanische DG and 1938 purchased by Hamburg Sudamerikanische DG renamed Santos, 1940 bombed and sunk in the Scheldt, later raised and repaired, 1944 bombed and sunk by Allied warplanes near Wangerooge. 5,943
Reiher 1909 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Reiher built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1938 renamed Flamingo, 1939 to German Kriegsmarine renamed Sperrbrecher 39, later Sperrbrecher 139, 8 August 1944 sunk off Lorient after being bombed. 1,045
Riol (1) 1907 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 interned at Valparaiso, 1921 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 to Reardon Smith Line not renamed, 1927 sold to Yugoslavia renamed Preradovic, 1940 sold to Crest Shipping renamed Fircrest, 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.124 while in convoy HX65A. 5,329
Riol (2)   see Arcturus.  
Roland (1) 1912 built by AG Weser, Bremen | 1914 interned at Rio de Janeiro, 1917 seized by Brazilian Government renamed Ayuroca, 1923 managed by Lloyd Brasileiro, 1927 purchased, 10 June 1945 sunk in collision with Norwegian s/s GENERAL FLEISCHER near New York. 6,872
Roland (2) 1921 built by AG Vulcan, Stettin | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1936 renamed Hameln, 1939 rebuilt to 4351 tons, 1942 seized by Mexico to Cia. Mexicana de Nav. renamed Oaxaca, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.171. 4,162
Schwalbe 1920 built by Atlas Werke AG, Bremen | ex- Schwalbe built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 13 December 1940 stranded near Üto or mined and sunk. 842
Schwan 1907 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Schwan built for DG Argo, 1916 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 reverted to DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 1938 renamed Pinguin, 1939-1945 in service as a pilots ship, 1945 returned to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., rebuilt and modernised, 1954 scrapped. 1,212
Siegen 1921 built by Schiffbaugesellschaft Unterweser mbH, Wesermünde | ex- Siegen built for DG Argo, 1923 DG Argo merged with Roland Linie and restyled as Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft Argo mbH, 1923 renamed Bussard, 1925/1926 Roland Linie absorbed by Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 transferred to Argo Reederei AG, 1937 to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen, 5 March 1942 stranded and lost off Kristansand. 986
Smyrna 1912 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | ex- Heidelberg built for DG Argo, 1914 seized at St. Petersburg by Russian Government renamed Ije, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1919 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Smyrna, 1920 transferred to Hapag but stayed under DLL flag, 1923 sold to Roland Linie same name, 1925/26 Roland Linie taken over by NDL, 1926 management to DLL, 1935 transferred to Atlas Levante Linie, Bremen, 1939 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Millers Nachf., Hamburg renamed Süllberg, 1942 sunk off North Africa by British submarine Umbra. 1,661
Sperber   see Bonn.  
Star 1922 built by Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik vorm. Janssen & Schmilinsky A.G., Hamburg | ex- Rudolf, 1923 purchased from Flensburger DC, Hamburg renamed Star, 1927 sold to Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot Mij. (KNSM), Amsterdam renamed Odysseus, 1952 sold to Panama renamed Aias, 1955 sold renamed Aeolos, 1957 sold renamed Maria Teresa, 1961 renamed Madrid, 1961 sold idem, 1963 sank. 1,065
Strauss   see Dortmund.  
Targis (1) 1920 built by T. van Duijvendijk's Scheepswerf, Lekkerkerk | ex- Ledaal, 1921 purchased from Dutch owner renamed Targis, 1922 sold to Sauber & Co., Hamburg renamed Albert Sauber, 1926 sold renamed Torsol, 1936 sold renamed Jan. 1,928
Targis (2) 1917 built by J. Frerichs & Co., Einswarden | ex- Wolfram built for from Hamburg Bremer Afrika Linie, 1919 allocated to Great Britain as a war reparation renamed Netley Abbey, 1921 purchased by Vereenigde Nederlandsche Scheepvaartmaatschappij (VNS), s’Gravenhage from David Steamship Co. renamed Rijperkerk, 1923 damaged by fire in Mediterraenean and wreck sold, 1925 purchased renamed Targis, 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1930 burnt out in the Atlantic and sank. 5,897
Turpin 1899 built by Furness, Withy & Co. Ltd., West Hartlepool | ex- Freiburg, 1906 transferred from Norddeutscher Lloyd (NDL) renamed Turpin. 5,152
Wido (1) 1920 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | Ordered as Köln, launched as Wido for Roland Line, Bremen, 1920 sold while building to Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Alderamin, 1932 temporary laid up, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U 338 in Atlantic Ocean in Convoy SC 122 with the loss of 15 lives. 7,698
Wido (2) 1919 built by De Baanhoek v/h Th. Nederlof, Sliedrecht | ex- Matar, 1920 purchased from Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Wido, 1922 sold to Reederei Dampfschiffahrt Ges. von 1896, Hamburg renamed Ostara, 1927 sold to Hanseatisch Dampfschifffahrt Ges., Hamburg not renamed, 1933 sold to Argo Reederei, Bremen not renamed, 1944 captured by Allied forces at Ghent, 1945 mined and heavily damaged, 1948 scrapped at Ghent. 1,297
Wido (3) 1923 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | n1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1936 renamed Dessau, 1947 scuttled with obsolete gas ammunition. 5,942
Wiegand (1) 1911 built by Bremer Vulkan A.G., Vegesack | 1914 interned at Montevideo, 1917 seized by Uruguay renamed Artigas, the United States Shipping Board chartered Artigas from the Uruguayan government at Montevideo, Uruguay, during the summer of 1918 and subsequently turned the ship over to the Navy for use in the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS), 1927/1928 sold to E. G. Culucundis & S. C. Costomeni , Greece renamed Elias G. Culucundis, 1930 sold to the Atlanticos Steamship Co., Ltd. not renamed, 1933/34 renamed Argentina, she then began operations for the Tramp Shipping Development Co.,1934 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 4,849
Wiegand (2) 1922 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | 1925/1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1946 allocated to USSR renamed Mikhall Frunze, 1968 scrapped. 4,600
Witell (1) 1917 built by De Baanhoek v/h Th. Nederlof, Sliedrecht | ex- Solsvik (launched for Stoomboot Reederij v/h J.& A. Schuijt), 1918 purchased from O.R. Olsen, Bergen, Norway by Van Nievelt Goudriaan en Co’s. Stoomvaart Maatschappij, Rotterdam (Nigoco) renamed Markab, 1920 sold to Roland Linie, Hamburg renamed Witell, 1922 sold to Reederei A.G. von 1896, Bremen renamed Oceana, 1927 sold to Hanseatische Dampfschiffahrt Ges., Hamburg not renamed, 1930 sold to Flensburger Dampf Co., Hamburg renamed Hasselburg, 1931 sold to Ozwan Dampfer AG, Hamburg same name, 1935 sold to Sovtorgflot, Archangel renamed Lahkta, 1966 deleted from Register. 1,356
Witell (2)   see Bakara.  
Witram (1) 1920 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 purchased from The Shipping Controller, London by Vereenigde Nederlandsche Scheepvaartmaatschappij (VNS), s’Gravenhage renamed Heemskerk, 1941 west of Foynes bombed by German warplanes and abandoned, wreck later torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.105. 6,486
Witram (2)   see Boonah.  
Yalta   see Cöln.  

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: November 20, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli