FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Ropner & Company

Founded in 1874 by Robert Ropner of Hartlepool, the company operated one of the largest fleets of tramp ships under the British flag. The principal business of the two companies which came under Sir R. Ropner & Co., were the Pool Shipping Co. and Ropner Shipping Co.
In 1946 a regular passenger / cargo service was started between Gulf of Mexico ports and the UK - Continent, originally from New Orleans and Houston to London and Bremen. Later the Continental calls were omitted with Liverpool, London and Manchester becoming the chief ports and occasional calls at Dublin and Glasgow. By 1954 the main ports in the Gulf were Mobile, New Orleans, Galveston, Houston, Tampa and Miami. This service continued until 1956 when it was discontinued due to strong competition from U.S. flagged ships. The ships were put to tramping and the passenger accommodation closed.
In 1997 the company was taken over by Jacobs Holdings Plc and still operates.

Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Funnel:

Fleet:

Funnel
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Ainderby 1925 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-552 in North Atlantic. 4,860
Aislaby 1889 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1912 sold to Roth Bros., London renamed Doddswell, 1914 sold to Japan not renamed, 1916 sold renamed Yeitai Maru, 1933 sold same name, 1934 scrapped. 2,745
Alderpool 1930 built by William Pickersgill & Sons, Sunderland | built in 1930 as Northwick but laid up unfinished, 1936 purchased and renamed Alderpool, 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-46 in the Atlantic. 4,313
Alicia 1880 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Alicia, 1887 purchased from Middleton & Co. not renamed, 1895 foundered after collision with ss NETLEY ABBEY off Cromer. 1,428
Amy 1868 built by Denton, Gray & Co., Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1868 lost at Winga. 583
Appleby 1978 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | ex- Golden Master, 1978 purchased from Norway renamed Appleby. 64,640
Ashby (1) 1896 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1916 wrecked near Ushant. 2,606
Ashby (2) 1927 built by Cowpen Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co., Blyth | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-43 in North Atlantic ; losses include the Master, 11 crew and 5 gunners. (28 crew and 5 gunners rescued and landed at Fayal, Azores) 4,871
Baldersby 1913 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB-91 ; loss of 2 lives. 3,613
Barlby (1) 1895 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1926 sold to D.A. Mango, Greece renamed Noemi, 1930 sold to England renamed Noemijulia, 1942 sold to Irish Shipping Ltd renamed Irish Hazel, 1943 taken over by Ministry of War Transport renamed Empire Don, 1945 reverted to to Irish Shipping Ltd renamed Irish Hazel, 1949 sold to Turkey renamed Uman, 1960 ran aground and lost. 2,489
Barlby (2) 1962 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1968 sold to Greece renamed Agios Georgis, 1980 sank near Japan. 16,565
Bellerby (1) 1898 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1927 sold to Greece renamed Dzeka, 1928 sold renamed Kate, 1933 scrapped in Italy. 3,097
Bellerby (2) 1944 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Irving, 1946 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Bellerby, 1960 sold to Iranian Lloyd renamed Persian Cambyses, 1964 sold renamed Iranian Trader, 1964 renamed Shiraz, 1970 sold to Bahrain renamed Sayhet, 1972 scrapped. 7,071
Blackhalls 1880 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1888 stranded off Schiermonnikoog and lost. 1,142
Boulderpool 1928 built by Smith's Dock Co., Middlesbrough | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German E Boat off Norfolk Coast. 4,803
Bridgepool (1) 1924 built by Ropner Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Stockton | 1946 sold to Ford S.S. Co. renamed Wansford, 1950 sold to Egypt renamed Ramses II, 1951 wrecked off Sharpness. 4,845
Bridgepool (2) 1962 built by Austin & Pickersgill, Sunderland | 1975 sold renamed Ekton, 1982 laid up, 1985 scrapped at Huangpu. 11,428
Brookby 1905 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-60 near Fastnet. 3,679
Burnby 1905 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-39 near Cape Falcone. 3,665
Busby 1894 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1894 stranded in Pendeen Cove, refloated but foundered. 3,256
Canby 1911 built by Short Bros, Sunderland | ex- Wabana built for British & Chilian S.S. Co., 1931 purchased from Wabana S.S. Co. and renamed Canby, 1934 wrecked near Guion Island. 4,804
Carperby (1) 1895 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1926 sold to Sweden renamed Jupiter, 1939 seized by Germans, 1941 renamed Schiff 3, 1945 ceded to Great Britain in damaged condition and scrapped in 1949. 2,104
Carperby (2) 1928 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-588 in Western Atlantic. 4,890
Cedarpool 1942 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Clarion, 1946 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Cedarpool, 1959 scrapped. 7,031
Clearpool (1) 1907 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1933 scrapped. 4,237
Clearpool (2) 1935 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1944 wrecked on Skitter Sands. 5,404
Clearpool (3) 1941 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Cabot, 1945 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Clearpool, 1954 sold to Cardigan Shipping Co., Cardiff renamed Grelmarion, 1959 sold to Germany renamed Rachel, 1959 scrapped. 6,715
Coalby 1911 built by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle | ex- Kamamouraska built for Sydney, Cape Breton & Montreal S.S. Co., 1931 purchased from Kamamouraska Shipping Co. and renamed Coalby, 1935 sold to St. Quentin Shipping Co., Cardiff not renamed, 1936 sold same name, 1937 scrapped. 4,903
Coleby 1907 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 captured by German auxiliary cruiser KRONPRINZ WILHELM and sunk by gunfire. 3,824
Cragpool 1928 built by Cowpen Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co., Blyth | 1947 sold renamed Leandros, 1950 sold to Panama renamed Acropolis, 1960 scrapped. 5,127
Crathorne 1888 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1912 sold to Norway not renamed, 1917 torpedoed and sunk off Alicante. 2,752
Crimdon 1878 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to P. Rowe & Sons, Cardiff not renamed, 1911 sold to Sweden not renamed, 1918 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 1,710
Daleby (1) 1900 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-70 ; loss of 25 lives. 3,628
Daleby (2) 1929 built by Armstrong, Whitworth & Co., Newcastle | ex- Kitty Taylor, 1934 purchased from Eros Steamships and renamed Daleby, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-89 in North Atlantic. 4,640
Daleby (3) 1950 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1961 sold to Jugoslavenska Oceanska Plovidba and renamed Kupres, 1972 scrapped at Split. 5,171
Danby 1937 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1952 sold to Spain renamed Astro, 1971 sold renamed Gopegui, 1976 scrapped. 4,258
Deerpool (1) 1930 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1939 stranded near Spurn Head and lost. 5,200
Deerpool (2) 1950 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1961 sold to Jugoslavenska Oceanska Plovidba and renamed Kordun, 1972 scrapped at Split. 5,169
Deerpool (3) 1982 ex- Shannon Venture, ex- Deborah L 1986, ex- Alpha Flame 1986, ex- Delphic Flame 1990, 1995 purchased renamed Deerpool, 1996 sold. 37,340
Domby 1932 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1951 sold renamed Cibou, 1955 sold to Finland renamed Caledonia II, 1956 sold renamed Peter, 1960 sold to Lebanon renamed Kettara V, 1960 scrapped. 5,582
Drakepool 1924 built by Ropner Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Stockton | 1946 sold to Kenfig S.S. Co., London renamed San Anthony, 1951 sold to Japan renamed Kinugasa Maru, 1951 sank off Japan. 4,838
Dromonby 1900 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1916 captured by German auxiliary cruiser MOEWE and sunk by bombs. 3,627
Eastpool 1925 built by John Readhead & Sons, South Shields | ex- Eastville, 1937 purchased from Balls & Stansfield and renamed Eastpool, 1938 sold to Turkey not renamed, 1938 sold renamed Demir, 1941 sold same name, 1952 sold idem, 1955 sold idem, 1963 scrapped. 3,709
Eden 1879 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to R. Brown & Sons, South Shields not renamed, 1908 sold to Norway same name, 1917 sold same name, 1917 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 1,446
Elpis 1878 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to J.A. Parker, Cardiff not renamed, 1900 sold to Norway renamed Stadt, 1903 missing at sea. 2,010
Elton 1888 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1912 sold to W. Coupland, & Co., Newcastle not renamed, 1915 sold to the Admiralty and used as a blockship. 2,461
Firby (1) 1926 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1939 torpedoed and sunk by gunfire from German submarine U-48 near the Faroe Islands. 4,868
Firby (2) 1942 built by Todd Bath Iron S.B. Corp., Portland | ex- Ocean Fame, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Firby, 1955 sold renamed Irene K, 1958 sold not renamed, 1964 renamed Winchester Queen, 1966 scrapped. 7,173
Fishpool (1) 1912 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1938 sold to Atlantic & Mediterranean Trading Co., London renamed Atlantic Scout, 1939 sold not renamed, 1940 ran aground, refloated and beached and wrecked in 1949 broken up. 4,533
Fishpool (2) 1940 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1943 blew up after air attack at Syracuse. 4,950
Gadsby 1899 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-39 near Wolf Rock. 3,497
Glenby 1900 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 sunk by gunfire from German submarine U-38 near the Smalls ; loss of 2 lives. 2,196
Glenholt 1883 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to Sweden renamed Hilda, 1899 wrecked on Ambromer Point. 1,689
Granby 1895 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1895 wrecked in River Plate on maiden voyage. 1,891
Greystoke 1885 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1892 wrecked on Gross Voge Islands. 2,119
Gullpool 1928 built by Cowpen Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co., Blyth | 1950 sold to Italy renamed San Felice, 1959 renamed Santo Emilio, 1959 scrapped. 4,870
Hardwick (1) 1873 built by M. Pearse & Co., Stockton | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1874 transferred to T. Appleby, 1880 foundered ; loss of 18 lives. 978
Hardwick (2) 1880 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1898 sold to Sweden renamed Lizzie, 1899 sold same name, 1916 sold same name, 1917 sold idem, 1920 sold idem, 1921 sold to German Government, 1922 sold to E. R. Retzlaff renamed Helmwige, 1930 sold renamed Clara Hintz, 1937 scrapped. 1,122
Harsley 1879 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Harsley, 1879 purchased from Callender, White & Hunter not renamed, 1893 disappeared after sailing from Gibraltar. 1,729
Hartburn 1882 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1898 sold to Sweden renamed Eol, 1913 wrecked near Geffle. 1,928
Hartlepool 1904 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1918 converted into a tanker, 1920 sold to Anglo Saxon Petroleum Co. not renamed, 1921 renamed Purpura, 1931 scrapped at Osaka. 4,409
Hawnby (1) 1895 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1914 wrecked at Johnshaven. 2,136
Hawnby (2) 1936 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1940 mined and sunk in Thames Estuary. 5,404
Haxby (1) 1892 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1919 sold to Watts, Watts & Co., London renamed Finchley, 1926 scrapped. 3,445
Haxby (2) 1929 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1940 sunk by German auxiliary cruiser ORION in the Atlantic. 5,207
Helmstedt 1877 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1890 struck rock off Mandali Island and foundered. 1,586
Heronspool (1) 1903 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1928 sold to Greece renamed Eugenia M. Goulandri, 1933 scrapped. 3,276
Heronspool (2) 1929 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1939 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-48 off Ireland. 5,202
Heronspool (3)   see Ocean Valour.  
Hesleden 1876 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to R. Jobson & Co., West Hartlepool not renamed, 1905 sold to Sweden renamed Phyllis, 1918 wrecked coast Devonshire. 1,536
Hindpool 1928 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-124 off West Africa. 4,897
Holtby 1909 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1936 sold to Greece renamed Poseidonia, 1939 sold renamed Samir, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-658. 3,675
Horden 1877 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to R. Jobson & Co., West Hartlepool not renamed and resold to Zerssen & Co., Germany renamed Kathe, 1906 sold to Spain renamed Juan, 1916 sold renamed Jacinto, 1918 sold same name, 1926 sold same name, 1927 sunk in collision near Gibraltar. 1,633
Hurworth (1) 1888 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1912 sold to G. Payavlas & Co., Greece renamed Thrasyvoulos, 1927 sold renamed Kydaris, 1928 sold same name, 1929 stranded, refloated and scrapped. 2,387
Hurworth (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard Inc., Baltimore | ex- Samlistar built for United States War Shipping Administration, 1947 purchased and renamed Hurworth, 1954 sold to Costa Rica renamed Suerte, 1962 sold to Lebanon same name, 1962 ran aground, refloated and scuttled. 7,238
Ingleby (1) 1907 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1929 sold to Greece renamed Atlas, 1934 scrapped in Italy. 3,815
Ingleby (2) 1942 built by Todd California Iron S.B. Corp., Richmond | ex- Ocean Vengeance, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Ingleby, 1960 sold to Nassau renamed Maratha Enterprise, 1966 sold to Panama renamed Welcome, 1969 scrapped at kaohsiung. 7,174
Iron Kestrel 1974 built by Hakodate Dockyard | ex- Star Kestrel, 1982 purchased from Kulukundis and renamed Iron Kestrel, 1990 sold to Greece renamed Aghia Trias. 16,819
Iron Kirby 1974 built by Hakodate Dockyard | ex- Star Kerry, ex- Iron Kerry 1975, 1982 purchased from Kulukundis and renamed Iron Kirby, 1991 sold renamed Seajoy. 16,819
Iron Somersby 1971 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | 1986 renamed Somersby (4), 1987 sold renamed Chia Yun. 40,088
Kirkby 1891 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 sunk by German submarine U-38 off Bardsey Island. 3,034
Kirkpool 1928 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1942 sunk by German auxiliary cruiser THOR in the South Atlantic. 4,840
Lackenby (1) 1894 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1927 sold to P. Danneberg, Latvia renamed Balva, 1931 wrecked in Baltic Sea. 2,120
Lackenby (2) 1928 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1943 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-624 in North Atlantic. 5,112
Lackenby (3) 1977 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | launched as Otterpool but completed as Lackenby. 64,640
Lady Esmé 1961 built by Philip & Son, Dartmouth | Ferry used in Seychelles, 1966 to Government of Seychelles. 114
Leven 1889 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1905 wrecked near Peniche. 2,381
Levenpool (1) 1911 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1934 scrapped. 4,844
Levenpool (2) 1942 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Lionel, 1945 purchased from Ministry of War transport and renamed Levenpool, 1962 sold to Trafalgar S.S. Co., London renamed Newlane, 1969 scrapped. 7,030
Lufra (1) 1872 built by Denton, Gray & Co., Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1874 transferred to R. Ropner & Co., 1879 abandoned in Bay of Biscay. 1,366
Lufra (2) 1880 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1887 disappeared after sailing from Cardiff. 1,765
Magdala 1870 built by Withy, Alexander & Co., West Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1872 wrecked on Ameland. 703
Magdeburg 1871 built by Denton, Gray & Co., Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1874 transferred to R. Ropner & Co., 1877 sold to T. Appleby not renamed, 1879 wrecked on Doganosler Shoal. 950
Maltby (1) 1889 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1899 wrecked on River Tyne. 2,752
Maltby (2) 1906 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC-27 ; loss of 5 lives. 3,977
Mansepool 1928 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-97 near the Faroes. 4,894
Martin 1895 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Martin, 1909 purchased from Leask, Clark & Co. not renamed, 1917 sunk by gunfire from German submarine UC-18 off Ushant. 1,904
Millpool 1906 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1934 foundered with all hands in North Atlantic. 4,218
Moorby (1) 1896 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1926 sold to Italy renamed Oreste, 1942 mined and sunk. 2,606
Moorby (2) 1936 built by Wm. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1948 sold to Power S.S.Co., London renamed Moorcot, 1951 renamed Huntsfield, 1955 sold to Bermuda renamed Elbow River, 1966 scrapped. 4,992
Mountby 1898 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC-49 off the Lizard. 3,263
Newby 1890 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 sold to Temple Thomson & Clark, London not renamed, 1916 sunk by gunfire from German submarine U-35 near Barcelona. 2,168
Oakby (1) 1897 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-8 near Rayal Sovereign Light Vessel. 1,976
Oakby (2) 1942 built by Todd Bath Iron S.B. Corp., Portland | ex- Ocean Pride, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Oakby, 1959 sold to Lebanon renamed Erinio, 1963 sold to Liberia renamed Susana KL, 1966 abandoned at sea, wreck scrapped. 7,173
Oakby (3) 1983 ex- Continental Reliance, 1992 purchased renamed Oakby, 1997 sold. 35,603
Ocean Valour 1942 built by Todd California Iron S.B. Corp., Richmond | ex- Ocean Valour, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and not renamed, 1949 renamed Heronspool, 1955 sold to Achille Lauro, Italy renamed Liana, 1967 scrapped at La Spezia. 7,174
Ormesby 1890 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1914 sold to Wilson & Reid, Belfast not renamed, 1914 resold to Russian Government renamed Ormedia, 1914 wrecked on Orlov Bank. 2,205
Otterpool (1) 1926 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-30 in North Atlantic. 4,867
Otterpool (2) 1982 built by Hitachi Shipbuilding | ex- Pacer, ex- United Ace 1988, 1991 purchased from World Wide Shipping renamed Otterpool, 1997 sold. 35,750
Parklands 1880 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1891 stranded and sold to Sweden renamed Thyra, 1910 sold same name, 1915 sold same name, 1923 sold to Germany renamed Marie Ferdinand, 1927 sold renamed Consul Hintz, 1941 lost in collision off Den Helder. 1,758
Picton 1887 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 disappeared after sailing from Newport News. 2,371
Pikepool (1) 1909 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1940 mined and sunk near Smalls Light. 3,683
Pikepool (2) 1942 built by Todd Bath Iron S.B. Corp., Portland | ex- Ocean Pilgrim, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Pikepool, 1959 sold to Greece renamed Marigo, 1966 sold to Cyprus renamed Amfitriti, 1967 scrapped. 7,178
Preston (1) 1882 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1885 disappeared after sailing from New York. 2,539
Preston (2) 1885 built by M. Pearse & Co., Stockton | 1899 sold to General Steam Nav. Co., London not renamed, 1906 wrecked at Point Bay. 2,157
Preston (3) 1921 built by Hanlon Dry Dock & Shipbuilding Co., Oakland | ex- Memnon built for United States Shipping Board, 1940 to England renamed Empire Mouflon, 1946 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Preston, 1951 sold to Panama renamed Avance, 1957 renamed Avlis, 1962 scrapped. 3,275
Raisby 1889 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1901 wrecked on Cape Verde Islands. 2,205
Reedpool 1924 built by Ropner Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Stockton | 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-515 near Georgetown. 4,845
Renpor (1) 1874 built by Short Bros., Sunderland | 1882 sunk by pack ice in North Atlantic. 1,323
Renpor (2) 1883 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1897 abandoned 300 miles off Azores. 1,917
Rockpool (1) 1912 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine. 4,502
Rockpool (2) 1927 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 aground and abandoned, salved by British Ministry of War Transport renamed Empire Trent, 1946 sold to South Africa renamed General George Brink, 1947 sold to Panama renamed Africana, 1959 scrapped. 4,889
Rollesby 1906 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-48 near Muckle Flugga. 3,955
Romanby (1) 1882 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | Ex Romanby, 1887 purchased from Middleton & Co. not renamed, 1899 sold to T.H. Skogland, Norway renamed Heim, 1917 sunk by mine or torpedo. 1,745
Romanby (2) 1908 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 lost in collision with ss ROMERA. 3,835
Romanby (3) 1927 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1940 sunk at Narvik. 4,887
Romanby (4) 1957 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1969 sold to Greece renamed Sally, 1971 renamed Sandra N, 1973 renamed Canton, 1973 sold same name, 1974 sold renamed Tomabi, 1976 sold renamed Swede Surprise, 1983 scrapped at Chittagong. 10,488
Roxby (1) 1893 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1904 lost in collision with ss GLASGOW near Hook of Holland. 3,043
Roxby (2) 1923 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-613 in North Atlantic. 4,252
Rudby (1) 1924 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1943 sold to Cassar Co., Malta not renamed, 1946 renamed Knight Templar, 1947 sold to Panama renamed Vanmil, 1950 sold to Finland renamed Laila Nurminen, 1955 sold to Italy renamed Amanita, 1958 scrapped. 4,846
Rudby (2) 1944 built by Bethlehem Fairfield Shipyard Inc., Baltimore | ex- Samtay built for United States War Shipping Administration, 1947 purchased and renamed Rudby, 1952 sold to Panama renamed Thekla, 1954 sold renamed Adamas, 1968 scrapped. 7,219
Rudby (3) 1971 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | 1980 sold to Liberia renamed Orient Pioneer, 1990 abandoned and sunk in Indian Ocean. 57,255
Rushpool (1) 1928 built by Cowpen Dry Docks & Shipbuilding Co., Blyth | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-94 in North Atlantic. 5,125
Rushpool (2) 1957 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1970 sold to Greece renamed Euthalia, 1974 sold renamed Eleftheros, 1979 sold renamed Forum Spirit, 1982 damaged by fire and scrapped. 10,488
Salmonpool (1) 1913 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1916 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-39 near Cape Carbon. 4,905
Salmonpool (2) 1924 built by Irvine's Shipbuilding & Drydock Co. Ltd, West Hartlepool | 1940 seized by the Germans renamed Putzig, 1945 back to England renamed Empire Salmonpool, 1947 sold renamed Irene K, 1955 sold renamed White Lodge, 1955 sold to Costa Rica renamed Puntarenas, 1958 scrapped. 4,803
Salmonpool (3) 1982 built by Eleusis Shipyard | purchased on the stocks and named Salmonpool, 1990 sold to Egon Oldendorff renamed Yeoman Bank. 24,785
Saxilby 1914 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1933 foundered in North Atlantic. 3,630
Scawby 1911 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 captured by German submarine U-33 and sunk by bombs. 3,658
Seapool (1) 1913 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1936 sold to McCowen & Gross, London renamed Pilcot, 1939 sold to Estonia renamed Vapper, 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-34 off Lands End. 4,502
Seapool (2) 1940 built by Burntisland Shipbuilding Co., Burntisland | 1951 sold to Hamburg Amerika Linie renamed Grunewald, 1953 sold to Schulte & Bruns renamed Esther Schulte, 1962 scrapped. 4,820
Seaton 1871 built by Denton, Gray & Co., Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1874 transferred to R. Ropner & Co., 1888 sold to O. Thoresen, Norway not renamed, 1898 sold to Sweden same name, 1916 sold same name, 1918 sold renamed Rusken, 1919 sold not renamed, 1920 renamed Pan, 1922 sold same name, 1922 sold to Danzig not renamed, 1925 sold to Sweden not renamed, 1934 scrapped. 891
Sedgepool (1) 1918 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1940 torpedoed and sunk by U99 west of the Hebrides. 6,530
Sedgepool (2) 1944 built by Southeastern S.B. Corp., Savannah | ex- Samdart built for United States War Shipping Administration, 1947 purchased and renamed Rudby, 1954 sold to Nassau renamed Bobara, 1956 sold renamed Flevariotissa, 1958 sold to Costa Rica renamed Kapetan Andreas, 1965 sold to Greece renamed Kitsa, 1967 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 7,279
Selby 1895 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1914 mined and sunk near Newarp Lightship. 2,137
Shotton 1870 built by Withy, Alexander & Co., West Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1874 transferred to R. Ropner & Co., 1877 sold to T. Appleby not renamed, 1887 sold to J.A. Waller, Sweden renamed Apollo, 1889 abandoned in North Atlantic. 754
Skidby 1892 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1905 wrecked on Sable Island. 3,703
Slingsby 1892 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 sold to the Lowlands Steam Shipping Co., Newcastle renamed Lowtyne, 1918 torpedoed and sunk by submarine. 3,231
Somersby (1) 1913 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1923 wrecked near Corunna. 3,347
Somersby (2) 1930 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-111 southwest of Iceland. 5,168
Somersby (3) 1954 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1958 sold to the Admiralty and converted into a Air Store Support Ship renamed Reliant, 1977 scrapped at Inverkeithing. 5,893
Somersby (4)   see Iron Somersby.  
Sowerby 1878 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Sowerby, 1887 purchased from Middleton & Co. not renamed, 1897 wrecked on Understen Rock. 1,254
Spilsby 1910 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1936 scrapped. 3,661
Stagpool (1) 1905 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1935 scrapped. 4,621
Stagpool (2) 1930 built by Wm. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Iron Chief built for Interstate Steamships, 1935 purchased from Essex Oak and renamed Stagpool, 1950 sold to Heron S.S. Co., London renamed Granny Suzanne, 1954 sold to Costa Rica renamed Carmen, 1956 sold same name, 1963 sunk in collision with ss SADIKZADE ; loss of 2 lives. 4,560
Stonepool (1) 1928 built by Smith's Dock Co., Middlesbrough | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-207 east of Greenland. 4,803
Stonepool (2) 1966 built by Charles Connell & Co., Glasgow | 1982 sold to Liberia not renamed, 1986 scrapped at Kaohsiung. 27,049
Swainby (1) 1888 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1900 sold to A.G. Vassiliade & Co., Greece renamed Clementine, 1904 foundered near Ushant. 2,680
Swainby (2) 1904 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1906 lost in collision with ss HILLBROOK. 3,653
Swainby (3) 1917 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-13 near Muckle Flugga. 5,811
Swainby (4) 1941 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Empire Sunbeam, 1945 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Swainby, 1962 sold to Trafalgar S.S. Co., London renamed Newgate, 1971 scrapped. 6,711
Swiftpool (1) 1929 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-372 west off Ireland. 5,205
Swiftpool (2) 1954 built by Caledon Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Dundee | 1964 sold to British India Steam Nav. Co. renamed Chakla, 1972 sold to Guan Guan Shipping, Singapore renamed Golden Bear, 1975 scrapped. 6,611
Tarpeia 1877 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | ex- Tarpeia, 1888 purchased from R.C. Denton not renamed, 1895 wrecked at Sandhammaren. 1,644
Teesdale 1904 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | ex- Teesdale, 1908 purchased from J.A. Wood & Co. not renamed, 1917 foundered. 2,470
Teespool (1) 1905 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1935 scrapped. 4,577
Teespool (2) 1942 built by Todd California Iron S.B. Corp., Richmond | ex- Ocean Vanity, 1947 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Teespool, 1960 sold to Wheelock, Marden & Co., Hong Kong renamed Wynn, 1964 renamed Golden Phoenix, 1966 sold to Nassau same name, 1968 scrapped. 7,174
Tenby 1898 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1904 wrecked off Emmahaven. 3,969
Thirlby (1) 1898 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC-31 near Fastnet ; loss of 2 lives. 2,009
Thirlby (2) 1928 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-109 near Cape Sable. 4,888
Thirlby (3) 1941 built by Lithgows, Port Glasgow | ex- Empire Tide, 1945 purchased from Ministry of War Transport and renamed Thirlby, 1956 sold to Panama renamed Guri, 1963 sold renamed Anto, 1966 scrapped. 6,978
Thirlby (4) 1958 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | tanker, 1982 sold to Greece renamed Diamando, 1985 scrapped at Aliaga. 13,105
Thornaby (1) 1889 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1916 mined and sunk near Shipwash Light Vessel. 1,730
Thornaby (2) 1955 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | tanker, 1966 sold to Greece renamed D.G. Papalios, 1969 laid up, 1970 scrapped at Gandia. 12,146
Tolesby 1901 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1908 wrecked in Trepassey Bay. 3,967
Troutpool (1) 1903 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1923 wrecked near St. Pierre, Miquelon. 3,281
Troutpool (2) 1927 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1940 mined and sunk in Belfast Lough. 4,886
Troutpool (3) 1956 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | 1963 sold to Peru renamed Perene, 1969 sold to Greece renamed Agis Asteriadis, 1979 scrapped. 7,989
Trunkby 1896 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1916 sunk by gunfire from German submarine U-34 near Port Mahon. 2,635
Ullapool 1927 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 sunk by mine in Mersey. 4,891
Wandby (1) 1899 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1921 wrecked off Portland. 3,981
Wandby (2) 1940 built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland | 1940 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-46 and U-47 off Rockall. 4,947
Wandby (3) 1959 built by Bartram & Sons, Sunderland | 1972 sold to Greece renamed Sea Ranger, 1984 sold renamed Ledra. 11,545
Warlaby 1927 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1941 sunk by heavy cruiser ADMIRAL HIPPER east of Azores. 4,876
Watlington 1882 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to N. Dubuisson, France renamed Lucien, 1905 wrecked on Labanche Rocks. 1,814
Wave (1) 1871 built by Denton, Gray & Co., Hartlepool | completed for Appleby, Ropner & Co., 1874 transferred to R. Ropner & Co., 1890 sold to J.C. Twaites, Hartlepool same name, 1881 repurchased by R. Ropner & Co., 1886 wrecked near Romso Light. 957
Wave (2) 1887 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1900 sold to D.G. Moiratis & Co., Greece renamed Antonios, 1905 wrecked on Andros Island. 2,264
Wearpool (1) 1913 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1935 sold to Greece renamed Aikaterini, 1941 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-93. 4,929
Wearpool (2) 1936 built by Wm. Doxford & Sons, Sunderland | 1954 sold to Sweden renamed Adelso, 1964 sold to Greece renamed Lefkipos, 1971 sold renamed Dimitros, 1979 scrapped. 4,982
Wellfield 1882 built by E. Withy & Co., West Hartlepool | 1899 sold to N.V. Stoomboot Reederij Bestevaer, Rotterdam renamed Bestevaer, 1901 sold to Sweden renamed Merkur, 1903 stranded and purchased from F. Malmros by AB Nordstjernan renamed Reserv, 1920 sold not renamed, 1932 sold to E. Hogberg renamed Holmia, 1935 scrapped in Italy. 1,907
Westonby 1901 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U-82 off Fastnet. 3,795
Willerby 1912 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1915 captured by German auxiliary cruiser PRINZ EITEL FRIEDRICH and sunk by bombs. 3,630
Willowpool (1) 1925 built by Ropner Shipbuilding & Repairing Co., Stockton | 1939 mined and sunk near Newarp Light Vessel. 4,815
Willowpool (2) 1960 built by A/B Finnboda Varf, Stockholm | 1967 sold to Liberia renamed Emmanuel Marcou, 1983 scrapped. 8,972
Wragby 1901 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1917 sunk by gunfire from German submarine UC-37 near Cape Spartel. 3,641
Yearby (1) 1896 built by Ropner & Son, Stockton | 1919 sold to M.H. Bland, Gibraltar renamed Gibel Yedid, 1925 sold to Greece renamed India, 1930 sold for demolition, 1931 scrapped. 2,639
Yearby (2) 1929 built by Wm. Gray & Co., West Hartlepool | 1950 sold to Italy renamed Bonitas, 1958 foundered off Cape Hatteras. 5,666

Sources include: Fleet list from http://www.aandc.org/research/ropner.html : Archives and Collections Society, Picton, Ont.

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: April 09, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli