FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

South American Saint Line

In 1926 the Barry Shipping Co. was formed. The company were mostly engaged as tramps undertaking seasonal voyages to Montreal, but were also heavily involved in the coal trade to Buenos Aires, bringing back cargos of grain. In 1939 the company was restyled South American Saint Line to operate passenger / cargo ships and in 1940 the Shakespear Shipping Co. was taken over. In 1961 the fleet was sold and the service passed to Houlder Line.

Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

Routes:

  • Antwerp - Hamburg - Bremen - Cardiff - Brazil - River Plate.

Funnel:
Red containing depiction of houseflag and black top.

Fleet:

Flag Funnel
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Bryntawe 1917 1926 purchased from Times SS Co., Cardiff, 1936 sold to Chine Shipping Co., Cardiff renamed Canford Chine. 3,364
Charlebury 1906 1935 purchased from Alexander Shipping Co., London, 1936 scrapped. 4,670
Charlton Hall 1940 1944 purchased from Charles G. Dunn, Liverpool, 1946 renamed St. Elwyn, 1954 sold to Pakistan renamed Ocean Endurance. 5,199
Chaucer 1929 1940 taken over with Shakespear Shipping Co., London, 1941 shelled and sunk by German surface raider Orion in Atlantic. 5,792
Coalby 1911 1936 purchased from Ropner Steam Shipping Co., West Hartlepool, 1937 sold to Townsend Bros, London. 4,903
Gantiose 1902 1935 purchased from Zachariassen, Finland, 1936 scrapped. 3,939
Kambole 1915 1937 purchased from Kaye, Son & Co., London, 1937 sold to Stanhope SS Co. renamed Stanthorpe. 4,524
Levnet 1914 1926 purchased from Times SS Co., Cardiff, 1933 stranded off Metane River, refloated but scrapped Quebec. 3,306
Maria 1901 1935 purchased from C. E. Lemos, Greece, 1936 scrapped. 3,090
Monkswood 1910 ex- Maresfield, 1928 purchased from Woodfield Shipping Co., London renamed Monkswood, 1935 sold to Lensen Nav. Co., London renamed Elisabeth Lensen. 4,176
Nerbudda 1919 1936 purchased from British India S.N. Co., 1936 scrapped. 7,963
Orminster 1914 1940 purchased from Minster SS Co., London, 1944 torpedoed and sunk in English Channel. 5,712
Ripley 1936 1940 purchased from Stephens, Sutton & Co., Newcastle, 1941 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic. 4,997
Rodskar 1889 1935 purchased from C. Lundqvist, Sweden, 1936 scrapped. 2,767
Shakespear 1926 1940 taken over with Shakespear Shipping Co., London, 1941 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic. 5,029
St. Arvans 1944 ex- Samlyth, 1947 purchased from U. S. Maritime Commission renamed St. Arvans, 1963 sold to USSR renamed Sajany. 7,247
St. Briavels 1943 ex- H.M. minesweeper 1009, 1946 purchased from The Admiralty renamed St. Briavels and used as cadet training ship. 1955 disposed of. 345
St. Clears 1936 1951 sold to F. L. Nimtz, Hamburg renamed Konsul Nimtz. 4,312
St. Elwyn (1) 1938 1940 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic; loss of 29 lives. 4,940
St. Elwyn (2)   see Charlton Hall.  
St. Essylt (1) 1941 1943 torpedoed and sunk near Algiers. 5,634
St. Essylt (2) 1948 1965 sold to China Navigation Co., London renamed Yunnan. 6,855
St. Glen 1907 ex- City of Swansea, 1937 purchased from Ellerman & Bucknall Line renamed St. Glen, 1940 bombed and sunk off East Coast of Scotland. 4,647
St. Helena (1) 1936 1941 torpedoed and sunk off Freetown. 4,313
St. Helena (2) 1944 ex- Samloyal, 1947 purchased from U. S. Maritime Commission renamed St. Helena, 1962 scrapped. 7,244
St. Ina 1922 ex- Empire Mariner, 1946 purchased from MOWT renamed St. Ina, 1948 sold to Bristol City Line renamed Wells City. 4,957
St. Jessica 1920 ex- Empire Clearwater, 1946 purchased from MOWT renamed St. Jessica, 1950 sold to Turkey renamed Karsiyaka. 4,970
St. John 1954 1965 sold to Atlantic Shipping Co., London renamed St. Marie. 6,889
St. Lindsay 1921 ex- Canadian Highlander, 1938 purchased from Montreal, Australia and New Zealand Line, Montreal renamed St. Lindsay, 1941 torpedoed in Atlantic by German submarine U-751; loss of 43 lives. 5,370
St. Margaret (1) 1936 1943 torpedoed and sunk in Atlantic. 4,312
St. Margaret (2) 1941 ex- Empire Cameron, 1946 purchased from MOWT renamed St. Margaret, 1960 sold to Lebanon renamed Agna. 7,015
St. Mellons 1914 ex- Hamdale, 1937 purchased from Turnbulls Ltd, Cardiff renamed St. Mellons, 1937 sold to Japan renamed Tozan Maru. 4,782
St. Merriel (1) 1925 ex- Hopetor, 1937 purchased from Hopemount Shipping Co., Newcastle renamed St. Merriel, 1943 bombed and sunk in Bone Harbour, 1950 raised but sank off Cape Noli in tow to scrapyard. 4,980
St. Merriel (2)   see Tolten.  
St. Merriel (3) 1942 ex- Lambrook, 1951 purchased from Galbraith, Pembroke & Co., London renamed St. Merriel, 1963 sold to Panama renamed Proodos. 7,106
St. Quentin 1915 ex- Bainsizza, 1926 purchased from Parodi, Genoa renamed St. Quentin, 1937 sold to G. E. Marden (Wheelock & Co.), Shanghai. 3,528
St. Rosario (1) 1937 1952 sold to Bancks Rederi, Helsingborg renamed Katia. 4,312
St. Rosario (2) 1961 1963 sold to Somerston Shipping Co., Newcastle renamed Hermiston. 9,183
St. Thomas 1948 1965 sold to China Navigation Co., London renamed Yochow. 6,855
St. Usk 1909 ex- Nailsea Belle, 1937 purchased from Nailsea SS Co., London renamed St. Usk, 1943 torpedoed and sunk off Bahia. 5,472
St. Winifred 1916 ex- Manchester Hero, 1937 purchased from Manchester Liners renamed St. Winifred, 1938 sold to Italy after being bombed and damaged by Spanish Nationalist aircraft, renamed Capo Vita. 5,775
St. Woolos 1912 ex- City of Bristol, 1936 purchased from Ellerman's Hall Line renamed St. Woolos, 1938 scrapped. 6,741
Syrie 1904 1937 purchased from Cie. Nat. Belge de Transports Maritimes, Belgium, 1938 scrapped. 2,117
Tolten 1930 1941 purchased from Trinder, Anderson & Co., London, 1945 renamed St. Merriel, 1950 sold to Finland renamed Helios. 5,348
Withington 1919 1926 purchased from Times SS Co., Cardiff, 1928 sold to Japan renamed Kiriha Maru. 3,095
    Ships Managed for Ministry of War Transport (MOWT)  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Belwoods Park 1944 managed 1946-1949 then transferred to G. Heyn & Sons. 7,149
Empire Cameron 1941 managed 1944-1946 then purchased. see St. Margaret (2) 7,015
Empire Pennant 1942 managed 1942-1946 then passed to Houlder Line renamed Langton Grange. 7,043
Fort Frontenac 1943 managed 1946-1946 then transferred to R. S. Dalgliesh & Co. 7,148
Fort St. Regis 1943 managed 1946-1948 then transferred to Vancouver Oriental Line, Canada renamed Sudbury Hill. 7,140
Kawartha Park 1944 managed 1947-1948 then transferred to Andrew Crawford & Co. 7,151
Rosedale Park 1944 managed 1947-1948 then transferred to Brown, Atkinson & Co. 7,139
Runnymede Park 1944 managed 1947-1948 then transferred to Baltic Shipping Co. 7,139
Samconon 1944 managed 1944-1947 then returned to U.S.M.C. 7,210
Samloyal 1944 managed 1944-1946 then returned to U.S.M.C. see St. Helena (2) 7,244
Samoresby 1944 managed 1944-1947 then transferred to Mungo Campbell & Co. 7,219
Withrow Park 1944 managed 1947-1948 then transferred to Andrew Crawford & Co. 7,142

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: March 03, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli