United Baltic Corporation
Formed in 1919 by an equal partnership between Andrew Weir & Co.
(Bank Line) and East
Copenhagen to operate passenger and cargo services from Poland and the
Baltic States to London (East India
Docks) where emigrants would disembark to trans-ship to American bound
liners. In 1922 the London berth became Hays Wharf in the Pool of London
and in the 1930's a service to Newcastle was also inaugurated. Baltic
services were suspended due to the outbreak of war in 1939 and in 1946
services to Poland were restarted plus calls at Finnish ports. Due to
the Baltic states being Russian controlled, these routes could not be
resumed. The Polish service to Hays Wharf was then run jointly with Polish
Ocean Lines. The last passenger ship was sold to Greece in 1947 and from
then, there was only accommodation for up to 6 passengers on the company's
ships, later increased to 12. In 1982 Andrew Weir & Co. purchased the
50% share owned by East Asiatic Co. and became sole owners. In 2002 the
company was still operating.
Many thanks to Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data.
The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an
all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like
to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship
Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant
Ship web site.
- 1919-1939 London to Poland, Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia. (Newcastle
service from 193?)
- Post war - Weekly ro-ro services Felixstowe to Helsinki and Hamina,
- - Weekly container services from Felixstowe and Hull to Gdynia
||Years in Service
||ex- Libau, 1920 1920 transferred from Russian
East Asiatic Co. renamed Baltabor, 1929 stranded on Nargen
Island, total loss.
||ex- Cumbal, 1937 purchased from Panama Mail SS Co.
renamed Baltabor, 1939 ran aground near Liepaja, Lithuania, total
||ex- Starling, 1930 purchased from General
Steam Nav. Co., London renamed Baltallinn, 1941 torpedoed and
sunk in Atlantic.
||ex- Langfond, 1937 purchased from Sigval Bergesen,
Stavanger renamed Baltanglia, 1940 mined and sunk off the Tyne.
||ex- Empire Ganymede, 1947
purchased from MOWT renamed Baltanglia, 1952 renamed Baltic Pine,
1954 sold to Hellenic Lines, Greece renamed Germania.
||ex- St. Thomas, 1920 transferred from East
Asiatic Co. renamed Baltannic, 1925 sold to Skipafelagid Foroyar,
Thorshavn renamed Tjaldur for Denmark - Faroes service.
||ex- Westland, 1925 purchased from Scheepvaart & Steenkollen
Maats, Belgium renamed Baltannic, 1949 sold to ICI for use as explosives
storage hulk at Loch Riddon.
||ex- Suntemple, 1924 purchased from Mitchell, Cotts & Co.,
London renamed Baltara, 1929 grounded off entrance to Weichsee River,
||ex- Glaciere, 1933 purchased from Cie.Maritime de
Transports Refrigerique, Lorient renamed Baltara, 1955 sold to Alfroessa
Cia. Nav, Panama renamed Nikfil.
||ex- Patricia, 1929 purchased from Swedish Lloyd, Gothenburg
renamed Baltavia, 1935 scrapped.
||ex-Chimu, 1937 purchased from Panama Mail SS Co. renamed
Baltavia, 1957 sold to Jebshun Shipping Co., Hong Kong renamed Shun
||ex- Heron, 1935 purchased from General
Steam Nav. Co., London renamed Balteako, 1946 struck submerged
object north of Fehman Islands, capsized and sank.
||1978 sold to Colonial Shipping Ltd, London renamed
||1966 sold to Shipping Corporation of Pakistan, renamed
||1966 sold to Shipping Corporation of Pakistan, renamed
||1990-91 chartered to Government for operation 'Desert
Storm', 1999 chartered to Crowley's American Transport, 2000 chartered
to Scan-Orient and then to Ministry of Defence, sold 2002 to Callaghan
Overseas Ltd, UK renamed Olympic Star.
|| 2002 in service on Felixstowe - Finland route,
sold 2005 to Cie. Morbihannaise et Nantaise de Nav., French Antarctic
Territory, renamed MN Eider.
||1983 sold to Losinjka Plovidba, Yugoslavia renamed
||1969 sold to Ankan Shipping Co., Somalia renamed Eastern
||1972 sold to Marastro Armadora SA, Piraeus, renamed
||see Baltrader (2)
||1969 sold to Ankan Shipping Co., Somalia renamed Silver
||1981 sold to Mednavi Sarl, Lebanon renamed Navi Star.
||1970 sold to Medov Lines, Genoa renamed Spagna.
|| see Baltonia (3)
|| ex- Atlantic Viscount, 1977 purchased from Nad Prince
Reederei & Schiffs, Germany renamed Baltic Osprey, 1988 sold to Far
East Faith Nav., Panama renamed Fareast Faith.
||see Baltanglia (2)
||1972 sold to Clare Business Ltd, Nassau renamed Tyne
||ex- Ponzano, 1960 transferred from MacAndrews & Co.
renamed Baltic Spray, 1963 sold to George Iatrou, Greece renamed
||1974 sold to Losinjka Plovidba, Yugoslavia renamed
||1977 sold to Sea Duke S.A. Greece renamed Skopelos
||1973 sold to Reefer City Ltd, Singapore renamed Reefer
||1973 sold to Reef Shipping Co., Norfolk Island renamed
||2002 still in service on Felixstowe and Hull to Gdynia
|| 1971 sold to Medov Lines, Genoa renamed Medov Italia.
||1980 chartered to Crosbie Shipping Ltd, St. John's
NF renamed Lady Franklin, 1990 sold to charterer.
|| 1976 transferred to MacAndrews & Co. renamed Cortes.
||1980 sold to Gulf Maritime Co., Cyprus renamed Melville
||1981 chartered to Crosbie Shipping Ltd, St. John's
NF renamed Arctic Viking, 1990 sold to charterer.
||ex- Akabo, 1926 purchased from Elder,
Dempster & Co. renamed Baltonia, 1936 scrapped.
||ex- Buenavista, 1936 purchased from Fred
Olsen & Co. renamed Baltonia, 1943 torpedoed and sunk off Gibraltar
||ex- Empire Gallop, 1947 purchased
from MOWT renamed Baltonia, 1952 renamed Baltic Oak, 1957 sold to
Bock, Goddefroy & Co., Germany renamed Palmera.
||ex- Banka, 1926 transferred from East
Asiatic Co. renamed Baltrader, 1940 mined and sunk off Margate.
||ex- Empire Gaffer, 1947 purchased
from MOWT renamed Baltrader, 1952 renamed Baltic Fir, 1956 sold to Hansa
Line, Bremen renamed Arsterturm.
||ex- Refrigerant, 1933 purchased from Cie.Maritime
de Transports Refrigerique, Lorient renamed Baltraffic, 1952 sold
to Pan Islamic SS Co., Karachi renamed Safina-e-Tariq.
||ex- St. Croix, 1920 transferred from East
Asiatic Co. renamed Baltriger, 1931 sold to Det Stavangerske
D/S, Stavanger renamed Ryfylke.
|| ex- Dominica, 1935 purchased from Bermuda & West
Indies SS Co. renamed Baltrover, 1947 sold to Hellenic Mediterranean
Lines, Piraeus renamed Ionia.
||ex- Marstenen, 1950 purchased from Vilhelm Torkildsen,
Bergen renamed Baltrover, 1968 sold to Marine General Transporters,
Liberia renamed Angelos P.
TheShipsList | Return
to The Fleets
TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2015
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion
without written consent of
Last updated: November 03, 2005 and maintained by
and M. Kohli