Puritan Line, 1888-1904
The Firm of Adamson & Ronaldson started in 1888 a service
between Antwerp and Boston and being the London loading brokers for Christopher
Furness since 1882, they chartered the necessary tonnage from Furness.
J.W. Adamson retired in the first half of 1888 and the firm became Thomass
Ronaldson & Company and continued to act as loading brokers for Christopher
In 1894 Thomas Ronaldson & Company bought their first ship the NORSE
KING and also in 1896 the BELGIAN KING (formerly Chateau Leoville of
was chartered from G.B. Hunter of Sunderland. Also the CYPRUS from Taylor & Sanderson
of Sunderland was chartered between 1896 and 1898.
In 1896 the new building the
SCOTTISH KING joined the fleet but had a short life being lost in 1898.
KING was sold to the American Government in1898 during the Spanish American War.
To fill the lost tonnage three ships were acquired in 1898 the ENGLISH KING (
ex- Osborne), FITZCLARENCE and CAMBRIAN KING (ex- Ullapool).
Three more purchases
were made in 1900; the CYNTHIANA, later renamed SAXON KING from British Maritime
Trust, STORM KING and FLORENCE.
The Puritan Line built up an extensive cargo
and emigrant service to Baltimore and Boston but was unable to stand the strain
of a short lived rate war and the remaining ships were disposed of in 1903
and 1904 while the BELGIAN KING was returned to G.B. Hunter and the Puritan
was closed down.
Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance
in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various
sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used
as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship
Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant
Ship web site.
- Antwerp-Boston- Baltimore
Funnel & Flag:
Red with black top.
||Years in Service
||built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co.Ltd, Sunderland
| ex- Chateau Leoville built for Compagnie
Bordelaise de Navigation a Vapeur, 1888 sold to Bossiere not
renamed, then resold to R. Hudson, Sunderland, renamed Connemara,
1895 sold to G. B. Hunter renamed Belgian King, 1896 chartered by
Puritan Line, 1904 returned to G.B. Hunter, 21 September 1914 foundered.
||built by Wm. Pickersgill & Sons Ltd, Sunderland |
ex- Ullapool, 1898 purchased from Japp & Kirby, Liverpool renamed
Cambrian King, 1904 sold to Lancefield Shipping Co., Glasgow same
name, 1920 sold to Greece renamed Nicolaos Zafirakis, 1930 sold renamed
Aimilios, 1936 scrapped.
||built by Russell & Co. Ltd,
Port Glasgow | ex- Cynthiana built for Cynthiana S.S. Co., (McLean & Sutherland),
Glasgow, 1896 sold to British
Maritime Trust Ltd (R.B. Stoker, mgr), Glasgow, 1899 purchased
not renamed, 1900 renamed Saxon King, 1904 sold to Ellerman
Lines Ltd (Westcott & Laurence) renamed Egyptian, 26 August 1912
wrecked off Great Yarmouth.
||built by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Wallsend on Tyne | ex-
Osborne, 1898 purchased from Raeburn & Verel, Glasgow renamed English
King, 1904 sold to C. Eitzen & Co., Christiania, Norway renamed Mount
Blanc, 1905 sold to East Asiatic
Company, Copenhagen, Denmark renamed Sibirien, 1911 sold to Bombay & Persia
S.N. Co, Bombay renamed Mansuri, 1915 purchased by A. Weir (Bank
Line) same name and disappeared at sea in 1916 (presumed mined)
||built by Tyne Iron Shipbuilding Co Ltd., Newcastle
| ex- Fitzclarence, 1898 purchased from Burrell & Son, Glasgow not
renamed, 1904 sold to Lancefield Shipping Co., Glasgow not renamed,
1913 sold to Italy renamed Sabastiano, 9 August 1916 captured, shelled
and sunk by submarine U.35 in Mediterranean.
||built by Short Bros. Ltd., Sunderland | ex- Florence,
1900 purchased from E.R. Gourlay, Sunderland, 1902 sold to Furness
Withy & Co. not renamed, 20 December 1912 Wrecked at Marine Cove,
St. Marys Bay on voyage from Halifax, N.S. to Liverpool with the
loss of 22 lives.
||built by Sir J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland | ex-
Norse King, 1894 purchased from Ross Line not renamed, 1898 sold
to US Government renamed Rainbow, 1928 scrapped.
||built by Short Bros. Ltd., Sunderland | 7 October
1898 stranded near Cape Clear abandoned by owner, salvaged repaired
sold renamed Aboukir for Clydesdale Shipowners Ltd, Glasgow. 8 September
1909 sunk in collision with steamer WHITE CROSS in River Plate.
||built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co. Ltd, Middlesbrough
| Launched for Wm. Ross & Co., completed for Puritan Line, 1903 sold
to Houston Line (R.P. Houston & Company).,
Liverpool renamed Homereus, 1919 sold to Burns,
Philp & Co., Sydney, renamed Malayan, 1924 sold to B.B. Wiltshire,
Liverpool and resold to Japan renamed Hakuyo Maru, 1928 sold same
name, 1930 scrapped.
TheShipsList | Return
to The Fleets
TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-present
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion
without written consent of
Last updated: October 18, 2007 and maintained by
and M. Kohli