TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions

Vessels | Immigrants | Company Logos | Maps & Charts | Ports of the World | Immigration Stations

Columbus Timber Ship (Timber Drogher) 1824-1825

launch of Columbus

Library and Archives Canada, Acc. No. R9266-548 Peter Winkworth Collection of Canadiana

The Columbus was four-masted wooden barque (this illustration only depicts three masts), built on the Isle of Orleans in 1823-1824, by Charles Wood. She was built of mostly square timbers, flat-bottomed and her timbers pegged, as it was originally intended to dimantle her upon arrival at England, and sell the timber, as a plan to avoid high British timber tax on Oak and square Pine. Steam-boats had carried the curious on many excursions to witness her size, during her construction. The day of day of her launch was a very festive affair.
She sailed on the 5th September 1824, Captain William McKellar, with an initial assist from the Steam Tow-boat, Hercules. She is reported to have arrived at the Downs on the 1st November 1824. Her arrival reported in The Times, 9th November 1824. (off-site link)
Rather than being dismantled, a decision was made to make a return voyage to Canada for another cargo of timber. She sailed for St. John, New Brunswick, but was wrecked in the English Channel on 17th May 1825.


TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2015
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: June 26, 2005 and maintained by and M. Kohli