FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

Horn Line

H.C. Horn, Schleswig, 1921 Flensburg, Hamburg || Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck || H.C. Horn, Lübeck || Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck || Franz P.C. Horn, Lübeck || Horn Linie, 1962 Horn Linie OHG || Del Monte Fresh Fruit International Horn Linie OHG || Ships managed for Government during WW2 || Chartered by Horn Linie || Managed by Pluto Shipping, Monrovia Liberia (Horn Linie OHG)

The Partenreederei* shipping company Horn was created by Heinrich Christian Horn. He had created a match factory in 1864 and in 1869 began to also trade in coals and coke. In 1879 he then bought the Schleischiffahrt which carried passengers and goods on the river Schlei.

The establishment of the shipping company took place in 1882 in Schleswig and started with one ship the Stadt Schleswig. Only in 1888 after several difficult first years was there demand for a further ship. In 1905 there were 21 ships operating for the partenreederei.
In 1901-1902 Horn started the parallel Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG in Lübeck. Both shipping companies aimed at an important role in the Baltic Sea.

After the First World War the majority of the fleet had to be delivered to the Allies as war reparations, Horn moved the partenreederei shipping company from Schleswig to Flensburg and had already given up the Schleischiffahrt.

Meanwhile the Lübecker tried to take over other shipping companies and attained the stock majority in the Flensburger Dampfercompagnie of 1869. The attempt to dissolve the Flensburger shipping company failed, but the Lübecker exchanged its 3550 shares for 3 new steamers. In 1926 Norddeutscher Lloyd bought the stock majority on the Lübecker and the fleet was taken over.

The Flensburger bought back one ship in 1920, the Irmgard Horn and sent it to the Caribbean. This was successful and developed into a liner service between the continent and the Caribbean. In 1931 Horn with the HAPAG started a pool agreement and in 1933 the office was changed to Hamburg.

The Second World War and its consequences meant the end for the shipping company. In the middle of the fifties a new start was tried, but in 1969 the shipping company went into bankruptcy.

Today's Horn line was created in 1949 by Erich Mueller Stinnes, a former partner of the company. Compagnie Generale Transatlantique later took over a considerable portion of stock of the Horn Line. Due to co-operation of many years in fruit transport with the American Del Monte group, at the beginning of the 1990's the Del Monte group also acquired a part of the Horn Line. The enterprise worked at first as a general contractor of the French Compagnie Generale Transatlantique in Germany.

In 1962 the Horn Line was sold in equal parts to the CGT and Hapag. Today the Horn Line, as a daughter American Del Monte group, is active in freight shipping between Europe and the Caribbean and also offers passenger journeys on its cargo ships.

*Partenreederei means based on shares with several families holding shares in a ship. (partnership)

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for their assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

  • Routes:
    • passenger and cargo services from Germany to West Indies and north coast of South America.

Funnel:

Fleet:

  H.C. Horn, Schleswig, 1921 Flensburg, Hamburg  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Carl Horn 1905 built by Eiderwerft AG, Tönning | 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 sold to Dampf Gesellschaft Argo renamed Worms, 16 December 1907 stranded off Craster and lost. 1,032
Christian Horn (2)   see Egbert Horn.  
Claus Horn (1) 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 sold to Dampf Gesellschaft Argo renamed Barmen, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and allocated to France, 1922 sold to SA Frutera Isoterma, Le Havre renamed Frutis I, 1925 sold to Cie. de Transports Maritimes & Fluviaux renamed Jean Doublet, 1927 sold to Cie. des Vapeurs Mediterraneens, Marseilles renamed Michel Claude, 1931 sold to Cie Franco Afrique, Marseilles renamed Ville de Sete, 1937 sold renamed Ploubazlanec, 1939 stranded, refloated and sank in tow. 1,035
Claus Horn (3) 1921 built by J. Frerichs & Co., Einswarden | ex- Immo, 1921 purchased from Hamburg Bremer Afrika Linie renamed Claus Horn, 1923 sold to L.F. Mathies & Co., Hamburg renamed Gerhard, 1943 sunk after aerial raid in Hamburg, raised and repaired, 1949 sunk after collision with s/s CARBONIA. 667
Claus Horn (4) 1922 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | ex- Nordfriesland, 1924 purchased from Flensburger Dampfer Compagnie AG (H. Schuldt), Flensburg renamed Claus Horn, 1925 homeport Hamburg, 1927 sold to Booth Steamship Co., Liverpool renamed Dominic, carried Brazilian coastal passengers only, 1932 sold to Maurel & Prom, Bordeaux, renamed Montesquieu, 1942 seized by Italy renamed Enna, 1943 sunk by Allied air attack, 1947 wreck raised and scrapped. 3,396
Claus Horn (5)   see Minna Horn (6).  
Consul Horn (2) 1925 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | 1925 homeport Hamburg, 1934 sold to Knoll Shipping Co., (Mgrs E.H. Mundy & Co.), London renamed Hind Head, 1936 sold to AS Sobral (Mgr O. Lorentzen), Oslo, Norway renamed Rio Negro, 1939 sold to Gdynia American Linjen, Gdynia renamed Morska Wola, 1949 transferred to Polish Ocean Lines, 1959 scrapped. 3,219
Consul Horn (3) 1904 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | ex- Mamari built for Shaw, Savill & Albion Co., Southampton, ex- Gerolstein 1928, 1939 purchased renamed Consul Horn, 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Consul, 1940 to Kriegsmarine, 1940 reverted to owner renamed Consul Horn, 20 July 1942 sunk by British airplanes off Borkum. 8,114
Dora Horn (2) 1923 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | Sold while building to Knöhr & Burchard, Hamburg renamed Eilbek, 1930 sold to P. Meier, Hamburg not renamed, 1930 sold to Soc. de Navigation a Vapeur Daher, Marseilles renamed Baalbek, 1942 to Mittlemeer Reederei renamed Frieda 3, 21 February 1943 torpedoed and sunk by British submarine Unruffled off Kerkenna. 2,125
Franz Horn (1) 1898 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 5 August 1914 captured by British warships, 1915 sold by auction to Melrose Abbey Shipping Co., London (Mgrs F. Jones & Co.) renamed Melrose Abbey, 1918 sold to Ford Shipping Co., Glasgow (mgrs Mann, McNeal & Co) not renamed, 1919 renamed Southford, 1919 sold to H.M. Bland & Co., London renamed Gibel Haman, 1921 homeport Gibraltar, 1925 sold to A. Mantacas, Andros, Greece renamed Julia Mantacas, 1927 renamed Triton, 1929 sold to Soc. Tunisienne de Navegation a Vapeur, Tunis not renamed, 1930 sold to Marittima Ravennate SA, Ravenna, Italy renamed Triton Maris, 1956 scrapped after damaged in stranding. 1,509
Frida Horn (1) 1900 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 16 October 1903 stranded on Island Lille Sommarö in Baltic Sea and lost. 2,371
Frida Horn (2) 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 1904 sold while building to Russian Danube Steam Nav. Co., Odessa renamed Moriak, 1915 to Russian Imperial Navy, 1917 renamed BO 1, 1922 sold to J. Martin, Istanbul, Turkey renamed Martin, 1923 sold to J. Constant, Malta renamed Moriak, 1934 sold to Anna L. Teryazos, Piraeus, Greece and later that year renamed Marios T, 1936 sold renamed Neringa, 1 March 1938 stranded near Memel and lost. 1,022
Frida Horn (3) 1905 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1912 transferred to H.C. Horn Zweigniederlassung, Lübeck, 1913 sold to Baltische Reederei GmbH, Hamburg renamed Ljusne Alf, 3 October 1919 sunk probably after hitting a mine. 1,051
Frida Horn (4) 1917 built by Nüscke & Co., Stettin | ex- Stettin, 1917 purchased from Oldenburg Portugiesche Dampfschiffs Rhederei (OPDR) renamed Frida Horn, 1919 mined and sunk, raised and repaired, 1919 ceded to France, 1921 sold to Leroux & Heuzey, Rouen renamed Formigny, 1924 sold to M. Heuzey not renamed, 1944 sunk at Arromanches aa a breakwater. 2,957
Frida Horn (5) 1921 built by Union Giesserei AG, Königsberg | 1923 sold to Stettiner Dampfer Compagnie AG, Stettin renamed Stubnitz, 1926 sold to Carsten Rehder not renamed, 1927 renamed Carl Rehder, 1950 rebuilt into a live stock ship 581 gt, 1956 sold to Denmark renamed Atena, 1966 rebuilt into a motorship sold to Greece renamed Clalliopi Melissa, 1975 scrapped. 564
Frida Horn (6) 1925 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Frida, 1940 used as a troop transport ship renamed A 25, 1940 renamed Frida Horn, 1946 ceded to USSR renamed Bogdan Hmelnitzki, 1960 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 3,184
Gravestein 1906 built by Burmeister & Wain, Copenhagen | ex- Tranquebar built for AS Det Ostasiatiske Kompagni (EAC), Copenhagen, ex- Hansa 1913, ex- Gravenstein 1929, 1939 purchased from Arnold Bernstein not renamed, 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg, 1940 reverted to owner, 27 March 1945 scuttled as block ship at Gotenhafen, wreck later scrapped. 4,427
H.C. Horn 1932 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Heinrich, 1939 to Kriegsmarine, 1940 reverted to owner renamed H.C. Horn, 1943 converted into a sperrbrecher renamed Sperrbrecher 27, 2 May 1945 heavy damaged by British airplanes, 1946 scuttled with gas ammunition in the Skagerrak. 4,132
Harald Horn 1905 built by Eiderwerft AG, Tönning | 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1908 sold to AG für mechanische Holzbearbeiting M. Luther, Reval renamed Christian, 1917 in service for Russian Imperial Navy renamed No. 32, 1918 reverted to owner, 1918 renamed Proletaryj, 1932 to Sovtorflot, 2 December 1944 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.363. 1,035
Heinrich Horn 1900 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 2 December 1917 stranded at Langeoog, wrecked scrapped. 1,431
Heinz Horn (1) 1923 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1927 sold to Max Mörck not renamed, 1927 sold to AB Tirfing, Gotenborg (Mgrs S.G. Janson), Sweden renamed Grekland, 1931 sold to Rederi AB Manhem (Mgrs E. Högberg), Stockholm, 1953 sold to Italy renamed Michelle Bottiglieri, 1965 laid up, 1966 scrapped. 2,146
Heinz Horn (2) 1928 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Heinz, 1939 to Kriegsmarine, 1940 reverted to owner renamed Heinz Horn, 1946 allocated to the Netherlands renamed Betuwe, 1947 sold to DS AS Inga & DS AS Jan (Mgrs J. Eliassen), Bergen Norway renamed Livarden, 1954 sold to Crete Shipping Co., London renamed Crete Avan, 1955 sold to Leighton Shipping Co., London renamed Alderney, 1961 scrapped. 3,994
Helene Horn 1895 built by Campbeltown Shipbuilding Co., Cambeltown | ex- Galeb built for Navigazione a Vapores Galeb, Ragusa, Austria, 1900 purchased from Navigazione a Vapores Napried, Ragusa renamed Helen Horn, 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 1913 sold to Dampferrhederei Patria, Hamburg renamed Lisa, 1914 sold to K. Stub DS AS, Christiania, Norway renamed Sagatind, 1914 sold to DS AS Bro, Christiania (Mgrs K. Hanson) renamed Bromma, 1916 to The Shipping Controller, London, 1916 reverted to owner, 1926 sold to G. Giuffrida, Catania, Italy renamed Salvatrice, 1929 sold to M. Scuderi, Catania renamed Eleno, 1933 scrapped. 1,824
Henry Horn (1) 1898 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 reverted to Germany, homeport Flensburg, 1924 sold to Holm & Molze, Flensburg renamed Wega, 1928 sold to Dampfschiffsgesellschaft Navigator, Riga renamed Navigator, 1932 sold to Erste Rigaer Gesellschaft gegenseitigen Credits, Pirma Rigas not renamed, 1933 renamed Roland, 1933 sold to Northern Baltic Sawmills, Riga renamed Salaca, 1937 sold to Latvian Shipping Co., Riga (mgrs J. Münninghoff) renamed Jauntjelgava, 26 October 1939 arrested by German patrol boat and became prize ship at Pillau, 9 November 1939 laid up in Hamburg, 21 December 1939 released from custody, 19 April 1940 sunk after collision with German s/s THOR. 1,508
Henry Horn (2) 1925 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | 1925 homeport Hamburg, 1934 sold to Knoll Shipping Co., (Mgrs E.H. Mundy & Co.), London renamed Pine Court, 1936 sold to AS Sobral (Mgr O. Lorentzen), Oslo, Norway renamed Rio Pardro, 1939 sold to Gdynia American Linjen, Gdynia renamed Stalowa Wola, 1949 transferred to Polish Ocean Lines, 1956 foundered near La Coruna. 3,219
Henry Horn (3)   see Waldtraut Horn (2).  
Herbert Horn 1898 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 reverted to Germany, homeport Flensburg, 1924 sold ro Reederei K.M. Faber & Co., Hamburg / Flensburg not renamed, later that month renamed Thora, 1928 sold to Hermann Schlüssow, Hamburg not renamed, 1929 sold to Altenfelde Reederei, Hamburg renamed Altenfelde, 1931 laid in Antwerp, 1933 scrapped. 2,315
Hilda Horn (1) 1900 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 8 November 1906 stranded at Nordeney and declared total loss, 27 June 1906 wreck salvaged and sold to Otto Zelck, Rostock, repaired and in service as Franziska Fischer, 1916 sold to Ernst Scherlau GmbH, Stettin renamed Professor Willy Stoewer, 1918 sold to C.A. John GmbH, Hamburg not renamed, later renamed Friedrich Carl, 1920 sold to P.J. Höppner, Rendsburg, 2 May 1920 purchased renamed Marie Horn, 1921 homeport Flensburg, 1923 sold to Kohlen Import AG, Konigsberg renamed Koholyt, 1925 transferred to the Kohlen-Import & Poseidon Schiffahrt AG, 1926 sold to the Latvia Goverment and renamed Abava, 1938 damaged and sunk after a collision with the English Tanker BRITISH TOMMY, in the same year salvaged, repaired and put back into service, 1939 sold to the Apveinota Kugniecibas ARL. Sab., Riga, and renamed Ati Kronvads, 1940 sold to the National Latvian Shipping Line (USSR), 1941 sold to the Baltic Gosmor Schiffahrts Ges., Leningrad (USSR) in the same year it served the Russian Navy as transporter VT 563and was sunk by German airplanes on 28 August 1941. 1,412
Hilda Horn (3) 1907 built by Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde | ex- Andree Rickmers built for Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde, 1917 purchased renamed Hilda Horn, 1918 sold to J. Petersen, Hadersleben renamed Hilda, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Norddeutscher Lloyd renamed Hameln, 1929 sold to France renamed Indenie, 1931 laid up, 1937 scrapped. 4,173
Ingrid Horn (1) 1902 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 1917 sank in collision with Swedish s/s BERGVIK off Dalarö. 2,039
Ingrid Horn (2) 1922 built by Lübecker Maschinenbaugesellschaft, Lübeck | 1926 sold to DS Thorunn AS, Bergen (Mgrs S. Sturlung), Norway renamed Margret, 1928 sold to DS Vesterhavet AS, Esbjerg (mgrs J. Lauritzen), Denmark renamed Nelly, 1937 sold to Finska Angfartyges AB, Helsinki, Finland renamed Corona, 1945 to MOWT, London renamed Empire Concerto, 1946 reverted to Finland renamed Corona, 1960 scrapped. 1,569
Ingrid Horn (3) 1928 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Ingrid, 1940 renamed Hilfssperbrecher B, 1940 renamed Sperbrecher B, 1940 renamed Ingrid Horn, 1940 converted into a sperrbrecher and renamed Sperrbrecher 25, 25 July 1944 sunk after being bombed by British airplanes, wreck after 1945 scrapped. 4,006
Irmgard Horn 1902 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 1918 homeport Schleswig, 1921 homeport Flensburg, 1924 sold to H.W. Christophersen, Flensburg renamed Käthe Christophersen, 1930 sold to Rederi Ursus AB, Gothenborg ( Mgrs K.W. Bensow) renamed Ursus, 15 December 1939 mined and sunk in Thames Estuary. 1,484
Karibia (1) 1921 built by AS Vulcanvaerft, Körsör | ex- Marie, 1922 purchased from AS Rederi Frode, Kalundborg renamed Karibia, 1939 arrest at Curacao, 1940 seized by Dutch Government renamed St. Eustatius, 1945 sold to Curacoasche Scheepvaart Maatschappij, 1947 to Shell Caribbean Petroleum Co., Maracaibo, 1951 sold renamed Micaela, 1956 sunk in Caribbean. 428
Karibia (2) 1922 built by Burgerhout's Machine Fabriek & Scheepswerf, Rotterdam | ex- Dordrecht built for Van Ommeren, Rotterdam, ex- Romo 1925, 1928 purchased from J.J. Petersen, Haderslev renamed Karibia, 1929 renamed Zulia, 1935 sold to Odd Godager, Oslo, Norway renamed Rita, 1936 sold same name, 1947 sold to Honduras Shipping Co. renamed Brasilmar, 8 June 1964 foundered. 1,755
Königstein 1921 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | tug, 1922 sold to Great Britain renamed Trower, 1934 sold to Sovtorflot, Leningrad, USSR renamed Tuman. 139
Luise Horn (1) 1899 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1907 disappeared in Northsea. 1,326
Marie Horn (1) 1896 built by 1896 AG Neptun, Rostock | 1903 to Zweigniederlassung Lübeck, Lübeck not renamed, 16 July 1917 captured by British warships off Bergen op Zoom, Holland, to The Shipping Controller renamed Polbrae (Mgrs W.H. Saeger & Co.), 4 May 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.60 near Sharpnose / Hartland Point. 1,217
Marie Horn (2)   see Hilda Horn (1).  
Marie Horn (3) 1925 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | 1925 homeport Hamburg, 1934 sold to Knoll Shipping Co., (Mgrs E.H. Mundy & Co.), London renamed Boca Raton, 1936 sold to AS Sobral (Mgr O. Lorentzen), Oslo, Norway renamed Rio Branco, 1950 sold to Robert Bornhofen, Hamburg renamed Wilhelm Bornhofen, 1959 sold to Lebanon renamed Amin, 1960 laid up, 1961 scrapped. 3,208
Mimi Horn (3) 1922 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1926 sold to A. Hansen, Flensburg renamed Ceres, 1932 sold to DS Vesterhavet AS, Esbjerg (mgrs J. Lauritzen), Denmark renamed Helene, 1940 seized by French warships, 1940 seized by the Germans at Bordeaux, 1941 reverted to owner renamed Hilma, 1942 renamed Hilma Lau, 13 October 1944 torpedoed and sunk by Russian submarine Lembit. 2,445
Mimi Horn (4) 1928 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 29 March 1940 scuttled by own crew to avoid capture by British warship. 4,007
Mimi Horn (5) 1943 built by Nakskov Skibsvaerft AS, Nakskov | 1944 to Kriegsmarine, 14 January 1945 sunk by Russian aerial torpedo. 3,944
Minna Horn (1) 1890 built by Rostocker AG für Schiffs- & Maschinebau, Rostock | 1898 sold to Bissmark Linie GmbH, Hamburg renamed Malmö, 1909 sold to P. Ivers & Co., Stettin renamed Fritz Ivers, 1911 sold to DS AS Mineral, Narvik, Norway (Mgrs B. Schattenstein) renamed Mineral, 17/18 August 1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.25 near Nordfjord. 699
Minna Horn (2) 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 sold to Dampf Gesellschaft Argo renamed Elberfeld, 1 August 1914 seized by Russians at Petrograd and in service as a transport ship for Russian Imperial Navy renamed Burlak, later renamed NO. 10, 1918 reverted to DG Argo, 1921 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to E.T. Lindley, London renamed Horley Grange, 1923 sold to Latus, Linsley & Co., Hull renamed Benlos, 1924 sold to Dampfschiffsreederei Nordica AG, Hamburg renamed Nordkap, 1924 sold to Skibs AS Vestfold (mgrs O.M. Nielsen), Tönsberg, Norway renamed Vestfold, 1927 sold to M.S. Pedersen Rederi AS not renamed, 1929 sold to A. Ingmansson, Kristinehamn, Sweden renamed Heddy, 27 October 1931 stranded in Vänersee, wrecked salvaged and scrapped. 1,037
Minna Horn (3) 1907 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1907 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1911 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Euripos, 1914 laid up at Lisbon, later interned, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed Caminha, 1917 sunk by German submarine UC 71 in the Bay of Biscay. 2,673
Minna Horn (4) 1913 built by Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde | ex- Madeleine Rickmers built for Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde, 1917 purchased renamed Minna Horn, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 to Byron Steamship Co. renamed Maid of Sparta, 1928 sold to M.A. Embiricos renamed Oropos, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.621. 3,431
Minna Horn (5) 1921 built by Nordsee Werke AG, Emden | Ordered by Phönix Dortmunder Union but completed for H.C. Horn, 1922 sold to Seereederei Frigga AG, Hamburg renamed Heimdal, 23 September 1940 mined and sunk off Terschelling. 2,186
Minna Horn (6) 1925 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerffte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | 1930 rebuilt 3,177gt and renamed Claus Horn, 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Claus, 1939 to Kriegsmarine renamed Neisse, 1941 converted into a submarine depot ship, 1947 allocated to Yugoslavia renamed Topusko, 1961 scrapped. 3,179
Paul Horn 1904 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 1905 transferred to Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck, 1907 sold to Dampf Gesellschaft Argo renamed Siegen, 1920 ceded to Great Britain and allocated to France, 1922 renamed Cap Griz Nez, 1922 sold to SA de Gerance et d’Armement, Dunkirk, 1933 sold to Cie. France de Transports renamed Tunisien, 1933 sold to V.C. Saulnier d’Ancald, Le Bardo, Tunesia, 1934 sold to Soc. Tunisienne de Armement et d’Affretement, Tunis, 11 January 1942 stranded and lost. 1,033
Presidente Gomez (1) 1929 built by 1929 F. Schickau, Elbing | 1936 renamed Waldtraut Horn, 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Waldtraut, 1940 renamed Hilfssperbrecher A, 1940 reverted to owner renamed Waldtraut Horn, 1946 allocated to USSR renamed Kushka, 1953 renamed Kuschka, 1974 used as a hotel ship renamed PKZ-207, 1985 scrapped. 3,995
Presidente Gomez (2)   see Waldtraut Horn (2).  
Stadt Flensburg n/a built by Lidingö Nya Varv & Verksteder AB, Lidingö | Probably confiscated by Sweden while building, 1947 sold to HF Jöklar, Reykjavik renamed Vatnajökull, 1962 converted into a fishing craft, 1964 sold renamed Evangelistria V, 1981 sold renamed Anni I, 22 January 1981 stranded and total loss. 924
Stadt Glücksburg 1944 built by Lidingö Nya Varv & Verksteder AB, Lidingö | After completion used by the Kriegsmarine, 1945 reverted to owner, 1946 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Condart, 1947 sold to Plym Shipping Co, Plymouth renamed Fredor, 1957 sold to Instone Lines, London renamed Seashell, 1968 scrapped Tamise, Belgium. 328
Stadt Schleswig (1) 1883 built by H.F. Ulrichs, Vegesack | 1901 sold to E.B. Aaby, Drammen, Norway renamed Mercur, 1910 disappeared at sea. 536
Stadt Schleswig (2) 1902 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 1914 in short sevice for Imperial Navy as Kohlentransporter, 1914 interned at San Luis de Maranhao, 1917 seized by Brazil renamed Tabatinga, 1927 sold to Lloyd Brasileiro, 1932 scrapped. 1,103
Stadt Schleswig (3) 1945 built by Marstrands MV AB, Marstrand | After completion seized by Swedish Government, 1946 sold to Brazil renamed Serigi, sold several times within Brasil, 1968 struck rock, salvaged, again stranded in storm and total loss. 750
Therese Horn (1) 1888 built by Rostocker AG für Schiffs- & Maschinebau, Rostock | 1903 sold to AS Urda, Laurvig, Norway (Mgrs Bigge & Olsen) renamed Urda, 1913 sold to Glama & Marinho, Porto, Portugal renamed Luso, 1918 to SA Maritima Ltda, Lisbon, 1922 sold to J.J. Correia da Silva, Porto, 1921 sold to Cia. De Navegacao de Portugal, Porto, 22 June 1922 destroyed by fire off Lissabon. 604
Therese Horn (4) 1922 built by F. Schickau, Danzig | 1924 sold to Essex Line (Mgrs Meldrum & Swinson), London renamed Essex Envoy, 1939 sold to Seereederei Frigga AG, Hambur renamed Hermod, 1940 damage by grounding, repaired, several times damaged in the war, repaired and back in service in 1950, 1957 laid up, 1958 scrapped. 5,197
Therese Horn (5) 1924 built by Friedrich Krupp AG Germaniawerft, Kiel | 1925 homeport Hamburg, 1934 sold to Knoll Shipping Co., (Mgrs E.H. Mundy & Co.), London renamed Shoreham, 1936 sold to AS Sobral (Mgr O. Lorentzen), Oslo, Norway renamed Rio Verde, 1950 sold to Robert Bornhofen, Hamburg renamed Luise Bornhofen, 1955 sold to Italy renamed Adara, 1964 scrapped at Trieste. 3,217
Waldtraut Horn (1) 1922 built by Lübecker Maschinenbaugesellschaft, Lübeck | 3 January 1925 sank in heavy storm. 1,546
Waldtraut Horn (2) 1926 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerffte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | 1936 renamed Presidente Gomez, 1936 renamed Henry Horn, 1939 to Westindische Schiffahrtskontor, Hamburg renamed Henry, 1940 seized by Dutch Government at Curacao renamed Bonaire, 1946 sold to Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij, Amsterdam not renamed, 1957 scrapped. 3,164
Waldtraut Horn (3)   see Presidente Gomez (1).  
Zulia   see Karibia (2).  

return to top
  Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Bremerhaven 1920 built by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack | ex- Bremerhaven, 1922 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1925 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1928 rebuilt to 1617 tons for service in Far East, 1936 transferred to Hong Kong renamed Island Trader, 1938 reverted to Norddeutscher Lloyd same name, 1939 laid up at Dairen, 1940 to Japan renamed Teiun Maru, 1942 mined and sunk. 1,566
Bylgia 1901 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1922 to Greece Government renamed Cavalla, 1928 sold to G.J. Angelides, Chios renamed Lacovos, 1952 laid up at Port Said, 1956 scuttled by Egyptians in war in harbour of Suez, 1957 wreck raised, 1959 scrapped. 2,037
Christian Horn (1) 1905 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1919 ceded to France, 1921 sold to Cie. des Bateaux a Vapeur du Nord, Dunkirk renamed Nanceen1931 sold to D.C. Tillellos & Co., Preaus, Greece renamed Anthemis, 1931 sold renamed Constantinos H, 1958 scrapped. 2,672
Consul Horn (1) 1901 built by Helsingör Jernskib & Maskinbyggeri, Helsingör | 4 August 1914 seized by French at Bordeaux, 1921 sold to P. Pittaliga fu G., Genoa renamed Sampierdarena, 1923 sold to Reederei Kayser AG, Hamburg renamed Heinz Kayser, 1923 sold to Leonhardt & Blumberg, Hamburg renamed Lotte Leonhardt, 1924 to Lübeck Linie AG, Lübeck, 1928 renamed Herrenwyk, 23 November 1928 sunk in heavy weather in Atlantic. 2,504
Dora Horn (1) 1906 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 interned at Sao Nicolao, Portugal, 1916 seized by Portuguese Government renamed San Nicolau (S. Nicolao), 17 November 1916 shelled and sunk by German submarine UC.26. 2,679
Eriphia 1902 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 interned at Bilbao, 1921 allocated to Spain renamed Espana No. 1, 1925 sold to Cia. Vasco Cantabrica de Nav., Bilbao renamed Sardinero, 1934 sold to Cia. Frederico G. Fierro, San Estaban de Pavia renamed Ita, 1977 laid up, 1977 scrapped. 2,043
Euphemia 1903 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 interned at Bilbao, 1919 allocated to Great Britain and re-allocated to France, 1922 to Union Maritime SA, Rouen renamed Mascara, 1934 sold for scrapping, 1935 scrapped. 2,742
Frida Horn (3)   see Frida Horn (3).  
Hersilia 1901 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 15 November 1912 stranded near Oporto and lost. 2,028
Hilda Horn (2) 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | Ordered for Dampschiff Rhederei Horn AG, but completed as Ganelon for the Roland Linie, 1907 to H.C. Horn, Lübeck, 1911 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Tinos, 1914 laid up at Piraeus, 1916 seized by the Allies, transferred to French Government renamed Le Bourget, 1921 sold to Ch. Schiaffino & Cie., Algier renamed Laurent Schiaffino, 1925 sold to Polish Government renamed Wilja, 1940 to Exile Polish Government renamed Modlin, 1944 scuttled as a block ship at Normandy coast, 1946 wreck salvaged and scrapped. 3,587
Hornbach 1923 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | ex- Quarta, 1924 purchased from Flensburger Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft von 1869, Flensburg renamed Hornbach, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Fasan, 1930 sold to H. Schuldt renamed Heinrich Schuldt, 1931 sold to Rederi AB Lerberget, Lerberget, Sweden renamed Lenita, 1939 sold to French Indo China (Vietnam) renamed Kontum, 1946 mined and sunk. 1,543
Hornburg (1)   see Hornburg (1).  
Hornburg (2) 1924 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Fink, 1934 sold to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1946 allocated to USSR renamed Mozdok, 1960 deleted from Lloyd’s register. 1,004
Horncap (1) 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | Orderd for Dampschiff Rhederei Horn AG, but completed as Haimon for the Roland Linie, 1907 to H.C. Horn, Lübeck, 1911 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Pyrgos, 1919 allocated to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Belgian Government same name, 1921 sold to Armement Deppe, Antwerp renamed Roumanie, 1942 sunk by German submarine U 617 in Northern Atlantic. 3,587
Horncap (2)   see Horncap (2).  
Horncap (3) 1921 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1926 to Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen not renamed, 1928 renamed Yalta, in Levante service, 1931 sold to H. Schuldt, Hamburg renamed Hansburg, 1938 sold to Lübeck Linie renamed Schleswig Holstein, 1941 to Kriegsmarine rebuilt as a training vessel, 1943 renamed Herkules, 1946 allocated to the USSR renamed Ochakov, 1947 sold to Zegluga Polska SA renamed Kolobrez, 1951 transferred to Polskie Linie Oceaniczne same name, 1957 scrapped. 2,369
Horneck 1924 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 1925 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Drossel, 1934 sold to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1955 sold to Erich Drescher, Hamburgrenamed Sottorf, 1956 sold to Italy renamed Galas, 1965 scrapped. 999
Hornfels (3) 1912 built by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton | 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1920 sold to W.J. Williams, Cardiff renamed Tempestous, 1922 sold to St. Mary Steamship Co. (Mgrs W.J. Williams0, Cardiff renamed Northway, 1925 sold to Charter Shipping Co., Cardiff renamed Charterhulme, 1930 sold to Antoni Wihuri, Finland renamed Wiiri, 7 July 1940 sunk by Italian airplanes off Pantelleria. 3,417
Hornfels (4) 1921 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1926 to Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen not renamed, 1926 renamed Ulm, in Levante service, 1935 transferred to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Manissa, 1937 stranded and lost. 3,969
Hornhöh (1) 1906 built by Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde | ex- Elisabeth Rickmers built for Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde, 1917 purchased renamed Hornhöh, 1919 sold to F.P.C. Horn renamed Claus Horn, 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Maatschappij Vredebest, Rotterdam renamed Karl, 1924 sold to Germany same name, 1924 renamed Rhein, 1926 sold renamed Vogtland, 1933 scrapped. 4,174
Hornhöh (2) 1922 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | ex- Secunda, 1924 purchased from Flensburger Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft von 1869, Flensburg renamed Hornhöh, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Möwe, 1927 sunk after explosion near Osel. 969
Hornland (1) 1922 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | ex- Tertia, 1924 purchased from Flensburger Dampfschifffahrtsgesellschaft von 1869, Flensburg renamed Hornland, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Taube, 1934 transferred to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Contour, 1947 to Belgium renamed Jean Marie, 1951 sank in the Baltic. 964
Hornsee (1) 1905 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1920 sold to Radnor Steamship Co., London, 8 December 1921 on fire and sank. 1,916
Hornsee (2) 1923 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Rabe, 1934 sold to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1944 mined and sunk. 994
Hornsriff 1924 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 renamed Wachtel, 1934 sold to Argo Reederei Richard Adler & Co., Bremen same name, 1944 bombed and sunk at Rotterdam. 992
Hornstein (2) 1910 built by Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde | ex- Mai Rickmers built for Rickmers Reismühlen, Rhederei & Schiffbau AG, Geestemünde, 1917 purchased by Franz P.C. Horn, 1917 to Dampschiffs Rhederei Horn AG renamed Hornstein, 1918 sold to Leonhardt Blumberg, Hamburg renamed Myrza Blumberg, 1918 seized by Italy, 1921 sold to SA Coop. di Nav. Garibaldi renamed Goffredo Mamell, 1943 seized by Germany, 27 October 1943 damaged by bombs, later salvaged and used as a block ship at Muggia, 1946 wreck salvaged, 1947 scrapped. 4,103
Hornsund 1906 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1911 sold to Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Leros, 1914 laid up at Constantinople, 1914 placed in Turkish sea transport division Osmanli Seyrisefain Idaresi, Istanbul not renamed, 1915 sunk by British submarine, later salvaged and repaired, 1919 allocated to Roumania renamed Oituz, 1944 torpedoed by German submarine U 23 and beached near Constantza, 1960 removed from Lloyd’s register. 2,679
Hornsund (2)   see Hornsund (2).  
Hornsund (3) 1922 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd renamed Pera, in Levante service, 1931 sold to Flensburger Dampfer Co. renamed Norburg, 1939 laid up at Burgos, 1941 damaged by Greece submarine Glaukos, beached, 1942 wreck scrapped. 2,392
Horta 1901 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1912 sold to Franz Fischer, Rostock, 1923 renamed Ruth Fischer, 1924 sold by auction to Ernst Behncke, Rostock, later renamed Patria, 1925 sold to Erik Larsen, Rostock, 1930 sold to Rederi AB Lygia, Gothenborg, Sweden (Mgrs K.W. Bensow) renamed Lygia, 1938 sold to T. Engström, 1939 sold to Rederi A. Ljungen, Stockholm, 9 April 1940 seized by Germans at Bergen, 1941 renamed Malmedy, 1942 rebuilt into Sperrbrecher 167, 27 April 1945 near Light Vessel Elbe 1 heavy damaged by British airplanes, 2 May 1945 sunk while in tow. 1,722
Kolga 1903 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 17 May 1916 on voyage Hamburg to Stockholm torpedoed, shelled and sunk by Russian submarine Volk. 1,501
Kydonia 1900 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | ex- Baltique, 1902 purchased from Roy & Lebreton, Rouen renamed Kydonia, 1914 interned at Havana, 1917 seized by Cuba renamed Maceo in service for US Shipping Board, 1921 sold to Cuba Navigation Co., Havana, 1923 sold to Johs. Thode, Altona, Germany renamed Harald Becker, 1927 sold to Seeberg Bros., Riga renamed Turaida, 13 December 1939 arrested by German warship and declared a prize, 8 January 1940 released from custody, 1941 sold to the Baltic Gosmor Schiffahrts Ges., Leningrad (USSR) in the same year it served the Russian Navy as transporter 520, 10 September 1941 sunk by German guns, 1944 wreck raised, 1945 repaired and back in service for USSR, 1958 scrapped. 2,390
Luise Horn (2) 1912 built by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton | 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Byron Steamship Co., London renamed Maid of Andros, 1931 transferred to M.A. Embiricos renamed Saronikos, 1942 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.177 near Inhambane. 3,412
Mimi Horn (1) 1902 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 1902 sold while building to DS AS Skjalm Hvide (mgrs Holm & Wonsild), Copenhagen, Denmark, renamed Asger Ryg, 1916 disappeared at sea. 1,101
Portonia 1903 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 interned at New York, 1917 seized by USA renamed Yucca in service for US Shipping Board, 1924 to Moore & McCormack renamed Commercial Courier, 1928 laid up, 1930 sold to C. Sigalas, Pireaus, Greece renamed Christos Sigalas, 17 December 1930 foundered in Atlantic. 2,778
Providentia 1903 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 seized by British Government in Manchester renamed Providence, 22 March 1917 mined and sunk near Barrels Lightvessel. 2,192
Riddha 1902 built by Schömer & Jensen, Tönning | 10 June 1902 stranded on Island of Tyree, Scotland and lost 1,136
Vegesack 1920 built by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack | ex- Vegesack, 1922 purchased from Norddeutscher Lloyd not renamed, 1926 transferred to Norddeutscher Lloyd, 1933 sold to Sovtorgflot, USSR renamed Ola, 1960 out of register. 1,566

return to top
  H.C. Horn, Lübeck  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Claus Horn (2) 1907 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 30 October 1915 stranded in Baltic Sea and lost. 2,690
Egbert Horn 1916 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | Ordered and in1918 sold to J.J. Petersen, Hadersleben renamed Proximus, 1920 completed, 1921 ceded to Great Britain and allocated to Greece, 1922 purchased by H.C. Horn Flensburg renamed Christian Horn, 1925 sold to AS O. Orvigs Rederi, Bergen, Norway renamed Gustav Vigeland, 1930 sold to Max Mörck Reederei, Lübeck renamed Asta, 1936 sold to Lübeck Linie AG, Lübeck not renamed, 1937 renamed Ostland, 9 November 1942 stranded and lost. 2,147
Franz Horn (1)   see Franz Horn (1).  
Heinrich Horn   see Heinrich Horn.  
Helene Horn   see Helene Horn.  
Henry Horn (1)   see Henry Horn (1).  
Herbert Horn   see Herbert Horn.  
Hilda Horn (1)   see Hilda Horn (1).  
Hilda Horn (2)   see Hilda Horn (2).  
Hornburg (1) 1904 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1905 transferred to Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck, 1918 sold to Leonhardt & Blumberg, Hamburg renamed Karl Leonhardt, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1920 to Government of Greece renamed Efxinos, 1925 sold to J.D. Chandris, Pireaus, Greece renamed Tonis Chandris, 9 January 1940 wrecked on Shetland Islands. 2,334
Horncap (1)   see Horncap (1).  
Horncap (2) 1912 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1913 transferred to Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Byron Steamship Co., London renamed Maid of Syria, 1931 sold renamed Nea Tyhi, 1939 sold to Panama renamed San Antonio, 1946 sold to China renamed Hsin Kong, 1950 sold to Panama renamed Norina, 1951 sold to China renamed Chung Hising Wu, 1951 renamed Chung Shing No. 5, 1964 sank after collision. 3,461
Hornfels (1) 1904 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1905 transferred to Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck, 1907 sold to Rob. M. Sloman jr., Hamburg renamed Algier, 1914 interned at Palermo, 1915 seized by Italians renamed Carlo Pisacane, 1923 sold to A. Zanchi, Genoa, 1929 sold to Cia. Colonial Navegaceo, Lisbon, Portugal, 1949 sold to Turkey renamed Nurfan, 1952 sold same name, 1955 sold idem, 1961 scrapped. 2,328
Hornfels (2) 1912 built by Craig, Taylor & Co., Stockton | 1912 sold to Bremer Dampferlinie Atlas managed by Deutsche Levante Linie renamed Haidar Pascha, 1912 purchased by DLL not renamed, 1914 seized by Great Britain at Alexandria not renamed, 1915 renamed Huntsbridge, 1917 sunk by German submarne UB 49 southwest of Cape Spartel. 3,424
Hornstein (1) 1904 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 16 November 1905 struck rock on Savo Reef, Farö and lost. 2,197
Hornsund (2) 1913 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1914 transferred to Dampfschiffs Rhederei Horn AG, Lübeck, 1914 seized by British Government at Manchester renamed CT 26, 23 September 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UC.71. 3,643
Ingrid Horn (1)   see Ingrid Horn (1).  
Irmgard Horn   see Irmgard Horn.  
Marie Horn (1)   see Marie Horn (1).  
Mimi Horn (2) 1903 built by AG Neptun, Rostock | 1914 interned at Vigo, 1918 homeport Schleswig, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Byron Steamship Co., London renamed Maid of Crete, 1931 sold to Yugoslavia renamed Tivat, 1933 sold to Fenchurch Steamship Co., London renamed Trade, 1935 sold to E. Milano & Co., Trieste, Italy renamed Pasubio, 1943 torpedoed and sunk by English submarine Unrivalled. 2,185
Therese Horn (2) 1904 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1912 disappeared at sea. 2,246
Therese Horn (3) 1914 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1919 ceded to France, 1923 renamed Aisne, 1923 sold to Les Felicuries de l’Aisne, Le Havre, sold several times within France with no change of name, 1948 sold to Panama renamed Filadelfos, 15 January 1952 stranded, broke in two and wreck scrapped. 3,644

return to top
  Fruchtdampfer AG, Lübeck  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Carl Horn   see Carl Horn.  
Claus Horn (1)   see Claus Horn (1).  
Frida Horn (3)   see Frida Horn (3).  
Harald Horn   see Harald Horn.  
Minna Horn (2)   see Minna Horn (2).  
Minna Horn (3)   see Minna Horn (3).  
Paul Horn   see Paul Horn.  

return to top
  Franz P.C. Horn, Lübeck  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Hornhöh (1)   see Hornhöh (1).  
Hornstein (2)   see Hornstein (2).  

return to top
  Horn Linie, 1962 Horn Linie OHG  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Adils   see Hornbelt (2).  
Akak Trader   see Hornbaltic (2).  
CGM Tchekhov   see Hornfels (6).  
Hornbaltic (1) 1954 built by Fr. Lürssen Werft, Bremen Vegesack | ex- Vegesack built for own account, ex Hornbaltic 1960, 1963 purchased from Bremer Reederei Bruno Bischoff & Co., Bremen not renamed, 1972 sold to Greece renamed Domna, 1979 renamed Asteri, 1989 sold renamed Krios, 29 October 1990 sunk after collision with quay wall. 499
Hornbaltic (2) 1979 built by J.J. Sietas Schiffswerft GmbH., Hamburg | 1980 renamed Hornbelt, 1984 renamed Akak Trader for charter, 1985 renamed Hornbelt, 29 October 1985 beached after collision with German ms ALGOL, salvaged and repaired sold to Archimides Marine Co., Limassol, Cyprus, 1988 sold to Soc. Mediterraneenne de Cabotage ( SOMECA), Nice, France converted into a cement transporter renamed Capo Rosso. 900
Hornbaltic (3)   see Hornbelt (2).  
Hornbay (1) 1955 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1967 sold to China Merchant Steam Navigation, Kaohsiung renamed Hai Yi, 1972 sold to Yangming Marine Transport Co., Kaohsiung renamed Kuo Ming, 1975 scrapped. 2,840
Hornbelt (1) 1958 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1964 chartered to Westeuropa Amerika Linien, Hamburg, 193 chartered to Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1976 sold to Deepsea Navigation Co., Monrovia, Liberia not renamed, 1977 renamed Monte Christo, 1979 sold to Consorcio Naviero Preuana SA, Callao, Peru renamed Piura, 1985 sold to Malta renamed Ocean, 1986 scrapped. 6,386
Hornbelt (2) 1980 built by J.J. Sietas Schiffswerft GmbH., Hamburg | 1980 renamed Hornbaltic, 1993 renamed Adils on charter, 1994 renamed Hornbaltic, 1995 sold to Pluto Shipping Co., Monrovia, Liberia, 1997 to Leeward Island Maritime Co., St. John’s, 200 sold to Zeefi Martitiem BV, Rotterdam renamed Rhapsody. 999
Hornbelt (3)   see Hornbaltic (2).  
Hornberg 1953 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1971 sold to New Venture Inc., Panama renamed Blue Albacore, 1979 sold renamed Interharmony, 1982 sold renamed Mofarrij A, 1984 scrapped. 4,051
Horncap (4) 1955 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1967 sold to Taiwan Navigation Co., Keelung renamed Tai Yun, 1967 renamed Tai Yuan, 1986 scrapped. 2,842
Horndeich 1960 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1969 sold to Ta Cheng Marine Co., Keelung, Taiwan, 1979 scrapped. 3,369
Hornfels (5) 1951 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1969 sold to Livera Shipping Co., Famagusta, Cyprus renamed Ossam, 1971 renamed Star of Shaddia, 26.1.1974 stranded and lost 4,033
Hornfels (6) 1985 built by Wuhang Shipyard, Wuhan | 1986 renamed Scandutch Sardinia, 1989 renamed Hornfels, 1990 renamed CGM Tchekhov, 2000 sold to Newport Marine Co., Kingstown renamed Blue Spirit. 4,453
Horngolf 1970 built by Howaldtswerke Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1982 sold to China Ocean Shipping Co., Peking renamed Yu Cai, 1986 to Dalian Ocean Shipping Co., Dalian, 1998 scrapped. 4,537
Hornkliff 1954 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1972 sold to New Venture Inc., Panama renamed El Gavilan, 1979 sold renamed Sanix Belle, 1982 scrapped. 3,996
Hornkoog 1959 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1970 sold to Maritime Company of the Philippines Inc., Manila renamed Mindanao, 1980 scrapped. 3,357
Hornland (2) 1957 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 27 October 1967 sunk after collision with ms PRESIDENT PIERRE ANGOT, 1968 wreck raised and repaired, 1972 sold to First Summer Cloud Shipping, Monrovia, Liberia not renamed, 1 February 1973 heavy damaged by engine room fire and declared total loss, later repaired and in service as Cape Breton, 1974 renamed Viva, 1975 sold to Ofer Bros, Haifa, Israel renamed Yuval, 1976 sold to Armadale Bay Shipping Co., Monrovia renamed Yuvali, 1978 renamed Suva, 1979 sold to Evergreen Maritime Inc., Panama renamed Manila Bay, 1983 scrapped. 4,234
Hornmeer 1969 built by Howaldtswerke Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1975 transferred to Compagnie Générale Transatlantique renamed Louisiane, 1977 transferred into the Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1980 sold to Greece renamed Pegasus, 1985 sold to Panama renamed Hua Wah, 1987 sold same name, 1989 sold to China renamed Xing Li, 1995 Guang Yun. 4,522
Hornsee (3) 1959 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1972 sold to Consorcio Naviero Preuana SA, Callao, Peru renamed Tacna, 1984 scrapped. 6,823
Hornstern 1957 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1972 sold to First Summer Cloud Shipping, Monrovia, Liberia not renamed, 1976 ? sold to Yick Fung Shipping & Enterprises Co., Mogadishu, Somalia renamed Li Shan, 1990 sold to Eckhardt Marine GmbH, Hamburg, 1990 scrapped. 4,228
Hornsund (4) 1951 built by Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1969 sold to Good Hope Martime Co., Panama renamed Blue Marlin, 1979 sold renamed Interamicity, 1982 laid up, 1984 scrapped. 4,032
Hornwind (1) 1969 built by Howaldtswerke Deutsche Werft AG, Hamburg Finkenwerder | 1975 sold to Hapag Lloyd renamed Hattingen, 1981 sold to Greece renamed Andromeda, 1982 sold to Peru renamed Yacu Wayo, 1977 sold to Belize renamed Grace G, 1997 scrapped. 4,525
Scandutch Sardinia   see Hornfels (6).  

return to top
  Del Monte Fresh Fruit International Horn Linie OHG  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Hornbay (3) 1990 built by Brodogradiliste Uljanik, Pula 12,887
Horncap (6) 1991 built by Brodogradiliste Uljanik, Pula 12,887
Horncliff 1992 built by Brodogradiliste Uljanik, Pula 12,887

return to top
  Ships managed for Government during WW2  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Black Watch 1938 built by Akers MV, Oslo | ex- Black Watch for Fred Olsen & Co. Managed 1943 - 4 May 1945 sunk by Allied aircraft off Harstad. 5,035
Cap Guir 1927 built by R. Duncan & Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Almazora for Mossgiel Steamship Co., Glasgow. Managed 1943 -16 April 1945 sunk by Russian aerial torpedo near Gotland with the loss of 756 lives. 1,536
Riga 1907 built by Clyde Shipbuilding & Engineering Co., Port Glasgow | ex- Onda for Navigazione Liberia Triestina SA, Trieste, 1929 sold to A. Plume & Andere, Riga, Latvia not renamed, 1933 sold renamed Vilnis, 1934 sold renamed Andrejs Kalnins, 1941 seized by Germany renamed Riga managed by H.C. Horn, 1941 renamed Stadt Riga, 6 July 1944 sunk by British aerial torpedoes off Norderney. 3,002
Sevre 1920 built by Napier & Miller, Glasgow | ex- Sevre for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique. Managed 1941-1945. 5,089
Stadt Riga   see Riga.  

return to top
  Chartered by Horn Linie  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Uranus 1931 built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast | ex- San Pedro for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1953 sold to Far Eastern & Panama Transport Co., Panama renamed Uranus, 1952-1955 chartered by Horn Linie, 1955 renamed Anto, 1957 renamed Eastwind, 1960 scrapped. 5,974

return to top
  Managed by Pluto Shipping, Monrovia Liberia (Horn Linie OHG)  
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Borodine 1971 built by Soc. Nouvelle des Ateliers & Chantiers du Havre | ex- Borodine for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1979 transferred into the Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1990 reflagged to Burma to Pluto Shipping Co. (Mgrs Horn Linie OHG) not renamed, 1992 sold to Translink Shipping, Kingstown renamed Pacific Link, 1995 sold to Brazil renamed Viva America. 2,656
Hornbay (2) 1970 built by Ateliers & Chantiers de Dunkerque & Bordeaux (France Gironde), Dunkirk. | ex- Fort Sainte Marie for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1979 transferred into the Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1981 sold to Pluto Shipping, Liberia renamed Hornbay, 1987 sold to Challende Shipping Co. SA, Nassau renamed Sundaybay, 1990 sold to Liberia renamed Chateaulin, 1998 scrapped. 8,554
Horngulf 1973 built by Dubigeon Normanfie SA, Nantes | ex- Pointe Madame for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1979 transferred into the Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1986 sold to Pluto Shipping, Liberia renamed Horngulf, 1993 sold renamed Gulf I, 1993 scrapped. 6,561
Hornstar 1972 built by Normandie SA, Nantes | ex- Pointe Sans Souci for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1977 transferred into the Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1986 sold to Pluto Shipping, Liberia renamed Hornstar, 1993 sold renamed Star I, 1993 scrapped. 6,561
Hornwind (2) 1973 built by Normandie SA, Nantes | ex- Pointe La Rose for Compagnie Générale Transatlantique, 1975 transferred into the Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1986 sold to Pluto Shipping, Liberia renamed Hornwind, 1992 suffered engine damage and sold for scrap. 6,561
Kepler 1975 built by Boele’s Scheepswerven & Maschinefabriek BV, Bolnes | ex- Pascal for Compagnie Générale Maritime, 1985 transferred to Horn Linie renamed Kepler, 1987 reverted to Compagnie Générale Maritime renamed Pascal, 1990 sold to Stargas SpA, Venice renamed Viking Star, 1998 renamed Dagmar, 2001 sold renamed Green Caribe. 13,217

return to top

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: August 31, 2006 and maintained by and M. Kohli