FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

The Fleets

A. Kirsten 1878-1975 / Hamburg London Dampfschiffs Linie 1881-1928 1934-1940 1949-1975 / Hamburg Pacific Dampfschiffs Linie 1886-1898 / Hamburg Calcutta Linie AG 1888-1897 / Hamburg Rotterdam Linie 1890-1940 1948-1970 / Rhein London Linie 1939 1950-1975 / Hamburg Chicago Linie 1951-1963

Adolph Kirsten took over his fathers firm on 12 September 1866 and founded that same day the shipbrokers firm of A. Kirsten. In the period of 1867 till 1872 A. Kirsten owned a sailing barque called JESSIE.
In 1878 Adolph Kirsten started his own shipping company and ordered his first steam ship from the Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft at Flensburg, followed by several others between 1879 and 1880.
At first the ships were used on the Hamburg London route and in 1881 the Hamburg London Linie was started, there was much competition on this route, the British General Steam Navigation Company and the German Gebrüder Schiller & Co. from Hamburg, in 1881 A. Kirsten took over the four ships of Gebrüder Schiller & Co., which were managed by F.G. Schmidt. The company owned eight steamers in 1881.

The Hamburg Pacific Dampfschiffs Linie was founded in 1886 but experienced stiff competition from DDG Kosmos.
In 1888 a line to India was opened the Hamburg Calcutta Linie, but already in the end of 1896 the shipping to East India came nearly to a standstill because of the plague and in February 1897 the Hamburg Calcutta Linie was liquidated and its ships were sold.

In 1892 the Hamburg Pacific Dampfschiffs Linie was restyled as Hamburg Pacific Dampfschiffs Linie AG and sold its smaller ships and purchased from Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft at Flensburg bigger ships to keep up with the DDG Kosmos.
The competition between these two shipping companies set pressure on the freight rates and in 1898 sold its ships to the Deutsche Dampfschiffahrts Gesellschaft Kosmos and the firm A. Kirsten became the shipping agent for DDG Kosmos.

The Hamburg London Linie was a success and in 1890 a Hamburg Rotterdam Linie was started, shipping agent in Rotterdam became Wambersie & Zoon and took over the fleet of H.J. Perlbach & Co. which already had a shipping line to Rotterdam. And Kirsten-Perlbach-P.A. van Es & Co. opened a three weekly service in both the directions.

In 1914 the fleet consisted of twenty three steamers in the Hamburg London Linie and six steamers in the Rotterdam Linie.
Post World War I, after the Treaty of Versailles, most of the ships had to be delivered to the Entente.
The fleet started rebuilding with ships ordered by the German Imperial Navy at Howaldtswerke, Kiel and completed as cargo ships for A. Kirsten and in 1923 already twenty ships were in service again. In 1928 A. Kirsten sold the Hamburg London Linie together with five ships to the Hamburg Amerikanische Aktien Paketfahrt Gesellschaft (Hapag).

After the Nazis came in power in Germany in 1933 a new policy of dispersion of shipping lines was followed and A. Kirsten was allowed to buy back the Hamburg London Linie from the Hapag.
Between 1935 and 1939 an extensive new building program took place. At the beginning of World War II the company owned nineteen ships, when the war was over only six were left.

In 1948 the Hamburg Rotterdam Linie was re-opened and in December 1949 sailings to Antwerp were again started and in 1950 the first new building for the Rhein London Linie was delivered. Liner services together with other shipping companies were also started from Basel to London and to Hull. In 1950 second hand ships were purchased from Scandinavian Countries.

In 1951 the Hamburg Chicago Linie was started jointly with the firm of Sartori & Berger from Kiel to the Great Lakes on this service was already competition from the Fjell Line from Olsen & Ugelstad and the Oranje Line from A. Veder, later Fjell Oranje Line.
In 1953 A. Kirsten took over two second hand ships well suited for the Great Lakes service. A large new building was started in the fifties to make up for the losses in World War II.

In 1961 Sartori & Berger ended the co-operation and started an own service to North America jointly in 1962 with Van Nievelt Goudriaan & Co. Stoomvaart Maatschappij (Nigoco), Rotterdam. The service was continued by A. Kirsten as Kirsten Lea Linie, later that year again as Hamburg Chicago Linie

Nigoco took over the Hamburg Chicago Linie, part of A. Kirsten & Co. GmbH at Hamburg in 1963. The continuing losses in this venture were too much, so in 1971 the ships were sold and the company liquidated.

Around 1960 the competition by air and road and RoRo ferries was growing rapidly and most ships were sold.
The company started working with chartered ships. In 1964 A. Kirsten was one of the founders of Noorzee Veerdiensten ( North Sea Ferries) and participated with 10% in this venture.
The losses were continuing and in 1975 the company was declared bankrupt and the company went into history.

Many thanks to Henk Jungerius and Ted Finch for his assistance in collecting this data. The following list was extracted from various sources. This is not an all inclusive list but should only be used as a guide. If you would like to know more about a vessel, visit the Ship Descriptions (onsite) or Immigrant Ship web site.

see also Sammlung von Memorabilia über die Schiffe der A. Kirsten Reederei (1827/1878 bis 1975) Collection of Memorabilia about the vessels of A. Kirsten Shipping Company. http://www.kirsten-schiffe.de/ Jessica Kirsten

  • Routes:
    • Hamburg-London
    • Hamburg-Rotterdam
    • Hamburg-West Coast of South America
    • Hamburg-East Coast of India
    • Hamburg-Hull
    • Basel-Rotterdam-London
    • Hamburg-Great Lakes
  • Fleet Abbreviations:
    • HPDL    Hamburg Pacific Dampfschiffs Linie
    • HCL       Hamburg Calcutta Linie
    • HLL       Hamburg London Linie
    • HRL       Hamburg Rotterdam Linie
    • Hapag    Hamburg Amerikanische Aktien Paketfahrt Gesellschaft
    • RLL       Rhein London Linie
    • HChL     Hamburg Chicago Linie
Funnel Flag Funnel Flag
A. Kirsten Hamburg Pacific Dampfschiffs Linie
Funnel Flag Funnel Flag
Hamburg Calcutta Linie Hamburg London Dampfschiffs Linie

Funnels & Flags:

Fleet:

Funnel Flag Flag
  Hamburg Rotterdam Linie
Vessel Built Years in Service Tons
Adolph Kirsten 1927 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine renamed V 105, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 35, 1941 renamed Sperrbrecher 135, 1943 returned to A. Kirsten, 26th August 1944 bombed and sunk, later raised and scrapped. 998
Adriana (1) 1890 built by C.S. Swan & Hunter, Wallsend | 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Abydos, 1910 sold to J. Mackintosh and Co., London, 1911 sold to Bombay & Africa Steam Nav.Co., Bombay, 1915 sold same name, 1923 sold, 1924 scrapped. 3,076
Adriana (2)   see Celia (2).  
Adriana (3)   see Hermia (3).  
Adriana (4) 1953 built by Kieler Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | ex- Adriana built for A.H. Schwedersky Nachf. GmbH, Kiel, Managed by A. Kirsten, 1963 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Miller’s Nachfolger, Hamburg, 1965 sold to Knud Knudsen Reederei, Rendsburg not renamed, 1965 renamed Kamphörn, 1970 sold to Scheepvaart Bedrijf C.S. van der Schoot, Vlieland (Mgr Scheepvaartkantoor Holwerda) renamed West Vlieland, 1976 sold to Cyprus renamed Vlieland, 1976 foundered off Penmarch. 1,600
Adriana (5) 1969 built by Bayerischen Schiffbau GmbH vorm. Anton Schellenberger, Erlenbach | In RLL service, 1976 to Adraiana Schiffahrts GmbH & Co. (A. Kirsten became only managers till 1978), 1986 sold to M. Martens, Hamburg renamed Adria, 1987 reflagged to Antigua, 1990 sold to Mastal Shipping renamed Cito. 499
Alster 1915 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | In HRL service, 1917-1918 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1935 sold to Bugsier Rederei und Bergungs AG, Hamburg renamed Lindenau, 1946 ceded to Norway renamed Vegarsnaes, 1947 sold to AS Rona, Haugesund renamed Skogholt, 1949 sold to Sardamare, Cagliari, Italy renamed Isola di Caprera, 1936 scrapped. 997
Artesia 1891 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 17th June 1892 sunk in Strait of Magellan. 2,813
Astronom 1863 built by M. Samuelson & Co., Hull | ex- Kestrell built for J. Yeoman, Hull, ex- Astronom 1865, 1891 taken over with fleet of H.J. Perlach & Co., Hamburg, in HRL service, 1911 scrapped. 667
Banda 1890 built by Charles Conell & Co., Glasgow | In HCL-HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Totmes, 1904 sold to Hapag, Hamburg not renamed, 1905 renamed Caledonia, 1912 sold to Wm. Eisenach, Stettin, renamed Wm. Eisenach, 1915 sold to Hafenbetriebsgesellschaft Chile, Bremen renamed Hebe, 1919 ceded to Great Britain not renamed, 1922 scrapped. 3,173
Bangalore 1896 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HCL service, 1897 sold to Hapag renamed Alesia, 1914 taken over by Secretary of State for India, 1926 scrapped. 5,060
Baria 1890 built by James Laing, Sunderland | In HCL-HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Kambyses, 6th October 1902 stranded and lost. 3,155
Baroda 1889 built by London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow | In HCL service, 1897 sold to Hapag renamed Calabria, 9th October 1916 stranded in Hurricane near St. Thomas, later salvaged, 1916 sold to Carib SS Co., NY, renamed Carib, 1924 sold to Cia. Maritima del Nervion, Spain renamed Mar de Irlanda, 1924 scrapped. 3,193
Benares 1890 built by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow | In HCL service 1897 sold to Hapag renamed Constantia, 1914 laid up in Cienfuegos, 1917 seized by Cuban Government, renamed Maximo Gomez, 1929 scrapped. 3,125
Bhandara 1896 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HCL service 1897 sold to Hapag renamed Ambria, 1915 seized by Italy, renamed Piero Maroncelli., 30th May 1918 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB.49. 5,043
Bhopal 1890 built by Blohm & Voss AG, Hamburg | In HCL service, 1897 sold to Hapag renamed Castilia, 1905 lost en route for Mexico. 3,041
Bianca (1) 1886 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to Rob. M. Sloman & Co., Hamburg renamed Ragusa, 1911 sold to Beraldo & Devoto, Genoa, Italy renamed Probita, 1912 sold to SA di Navigazione Adriatico, Venice renamed Citta di Venezia, 1923 scrapped. 1,745
Bianca (2) 1899 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1903 sold to Theodor & F. Eimbcke, Hamburg, 1906 sold to Russian East Asiatic Steamship Co., Odessa renamed Neva, 1918 nationalised by the USSR. and renamed Ruseana, 1924 renamed Bolshevik, 1960 deleted from register. 1,389
Bianca (3) 1907 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 17th May 1916 torpedoed and sunk by Russian submarine Volk. 1,054
Bianca (4) 1921 built by Hamburger Elbe Schiffwerft AG, Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg | In HLL-HRL service, 1926 renamed Elbe, 1932 Bianca, 1939 captured by British auxiliary cruiser Transsylvania renamed Empire Warrior, 19th June 1941 bombed and later sunk. 1,375
Bianca (5) 1970 built by Bayerischen Schiffbau GmbH vorm. Anton Schellenberger, Erlenbach | In RLL service, 1975 sold to Julius Hauschildt Beteiligungs GmbH & Co., Hamburg renamed Estestrom, 1986 reflagged to Cyprus, 1987 renamed Bianca, sold several times and in 1989 to Honduras renamed Sea Bianca, 1994 sold Deep Blue Shipping, Valletta, Malta renamed Alsena. 499
Capella 1865 built by C. Mitchell & Co., Newcastle | ex- Capella, 1881 taken over with fleet of Gebrüder Schiller & Co. (Mgr F.G. Schmidt), Hamburg, in HLL service, 1897 sold to Naviera Orientale, Pireaus, Greece renamed Byzantion, 1930 sold to Hellenic Coast Lines, 2nd December 1933 sunk in tow on way to the breakers. 826
Celia (1) 1883 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | In HLL service, 26th August 1891 sprang leak in Baltic Sea near Sylt and sunk. 1,175
Celia (2) 1906 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 27th September 1919 struck mine and sunk, raised repaired and back in service, 1921 renaned Adriana, 1928 sold to Hapag not renamed, 1938 sold to L. Magiarotti fu. G., Genoa, Italy renamed Adige, 1940 sunk at Malta, 1944-1945 raised, repaired renamed Cantakeit, 1947 sold to Italy renamed Salento, 1960 scrapped. 1,060
Celia (3) 1944 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | Hansa A type, 1945 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Gallant, 1947 sold to Borchard Ltd, London renamed Richard Borchard, 1960 to Fairplay Schleppdampfschiffs Reederei Richard Borchard GmbH, Hamburg renamed Fairwood, 1963 scrapped. 1,923
Celia (4) 1955 built by Rickmers Werft, Bremerhaven | Sold while building to F.A. Vinnen & Co., renamed Adolf Vinnen, 1979 scrapped. 4,898
Celia (5) 1962 buily by Martin Jansen Schifswerft & Maschinenfabrik, Leer | ex- Rocichmoor built for H. Kretzmer, Brake, Germany, 1970 purchased from Reederei Fox & Co., Brake renamed Celia, in RLL service, 1975 sold to H. Voss, Hamburg renamed Cherie, 1976 sold to Egon Holst, Hamburg, 1977 sold to Libra Shipping BV, Panama renamed Mary Ann, 1978 sold renamed Amalia C, 1979 sold to Stevedoring Transport Mij., Panama renamed Natalie, 1980 sold renamed Jaqueline, 1981 sold renamed Goldia, 1982 sold to Spain renamed Barlovento Primero and converted into a dredger and sand carrier. 299
Cleopatra (1) 1889 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 30th June 1891 strand and lost near Cape Virgins. 2,742
Cleopatra (2) 1915 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1919 ceded to Great Britain, 1920 sold to Union Steamship Co. of New Zealand renamed Koranui, 1953 sold to J. Hagen, Noumea, renamed Neo Hebridais II, 1956 scrapped. 1,225
Cleopatra (3) 1921 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | Planned for Imperial Navy but completed as Cleopatra for A. Kirsten in HLL-HRL service, 1926 renamed Eider, 1935 renamed Cleopatra, 23rd January 1944 stranded near Reval, later sunk, salvaged towed to Königsberg, 1945 captured by Russian forces, repaired renamed General Bagramian, 1970 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 1,305
Cleopatra (4) 1953 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | In HChL service, 1961 sold to O. Schilling, Hamburg not renamed, 1962 sold to Cormoran SA, Buenos Aires, 1989 scrapped. 2,122
Cordelia (1) 1886 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1896 sold to Rob. M. Sloman & Co., Hamburg renamed Asti, 3rd March 1909 sunk in collision with British steamer TOWARD off Dungeness. 1,745
Cordelia (2) 1902 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., Sunderland | In HLL service, 31st October 1916 stranded, salvaged, repaired and back in service, 1918 sold to E.E. Aaby, Christiania, Norway renamed Dagbjörn, 1935 scrapped. 1,222
Cordelia (3) 1921 built by Hamburger Elbe Schiffwerft AG, Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg | In HLL service, 1941 in service Kriegsmarine, 2nd December 1941 mined and sunk. 1,357
Cordelia (4) 1923 built by Trondhjems MV, Trondheim | ex- Bruse Jarl, 1950 purchased from Det Nordenfjelske DS, Trondheim renamed Cordelia, 1960 sold to Tramppilaiva OY, Helsinki renamed Travo, 1963 scrapped. 1,907
Cressida (1) 1896 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | 1913 sold to A. Rurik, St. Petersburg renamed Sviatitel Nicolai, 1918 captured by German forces renamed Cressida, 1923 sold to F.W. Fischer, Rostock renamed F.W. Fischer, 1931 laid up, 1933 scrapped. 1,235
Cressida (2) 1913 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1920 ceded to Great Britain, to Gulf of Suez steamship Co., London renamed Cressado, 1938 sold to Ellerman Papayanni not renamed, 1942 sank off Skerries, Anglesey after collision. 1,212
Cressida (3) 1939 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine renamed V 102, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 32, 1941 renamed Sperrbrecher 132, 1946 allocated to the USA, 1947 to Dutch Government, 1947 sold to Wm. Muller & Co., Rotterdam renamed Elsenburgh, 1952 rebuilt into a motorship, 1961 sold to Seven Seas Shipping Co., Monrovia, Liberia renamed, Gernik, 23rd December 1963 stranded in storm near Karpathos and lost. 1,046
Cressida (4) 1954 built by D.W. Kremer Sohn, Elmshorn | 1966 sold to Colon Enterprises (Shipping) SA, Panama renamed Karin, 1970 sold to Cyprus not renamed, 1972 sold to Robena Shipping Co., Famagusta renamed Robin, 1974 scrapped. 763
Delia (1) 1892 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Denderah, 1912 sold to Rickmers Reismuhlen Rhederei & Schiffsbau AG, Bremen (Rickmers) renamed Denderah Rickmers, 1912 missing at sea. 3,103
Delia (2) 1914 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1914 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Leith, Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co. renamed Iceland, 1941 sunk by German ADMIRAL HIPPER off Azores. 1,225
Delia (3) 1940 built by Boele & Fils, Tamise | Ordered for Plouvier Maritime SA, Antwerp but completed for Kriegsmarine allocated to A. Kirsten renamed Kirsten I, and completed as Sperrbrecher 186, ceded by Belgium Government at building Yard, completed in 1949 renamed Marguerite, 1950 sold to SA Armement L. Hermans, Brugge, 1966 sold to Greece renamed Zacharias Z, 1972 sold to Cyprus, 1978 scrapped. 1,791
Desdemona (1) 1889 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 15th June 1898 stranded and lost. 2,475
Desdemona (2) 1915 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1920 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 sold to Leith, Hull & Hamburg Steam Packet Co. renamed Greenland, 6th December 1941 mined and sunk off Southwold. 1,225
Desdemona (3) 1920 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | Planned for Imperial Navy but completed as Desdemona for A. Kirsten, in HLL service, 4th March 1944 mined and sunk. 1,304
Desdemona (4) 1952 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | In HChL service, 1961 sold to O. Schilling, Hamburg not renamed, 1962 sold to Cormoran SA, Buenos Aires, 9th September 1985 stranded and lost. 2,122
Diana (1) 1889 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1897 stranded off Woodhouse Bay, salvaged, towed to Valparaiso and abandoned, 1898 sold to Rob. M. Sloman & Co., Hamburg renamed Capri, 1903 sold to Dampfschiffsrhederei Union, 1905 sold to Furness, Withy & Co., West Hartlepool renamed Annapolis, 1907 Sold to Cie d'Armement Colonial, Marseilles renamed Mangoro then to Soc. des Pecheries de Kerguelen, Le Havre, 1915 sold to New Transvaal Chemical Co. Ltd, Port Natal renamed Islandia, 1916 sold to Laurium Transport Co Ltd (L. Walford), London, 1924 sold to D.F. Andreadis, Piraeus name unchanged, 1926 sold to Rosina S.S. Co. Ltd (C. Dixon), London renamed Saint Paraskevi, 1928 sold to Soc. de Gestion Maritime, Nantes renamed Guinee Francais, 1931 sold to C. Vlassis, Pireaus, Greece renamed Agia Paraskevi, 1934 scrapped. 2,100
Diana (2) 1904 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 30th January 1918 stranded near Bergen after explosion in boiler and lost. 1,248
Diana (3) 1922 built by Hamburger Elbe Schiffwerft AG, Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg | In HLL service, 1946 allocated to the Dutch Government renamed Putten, 1947 to the Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij (KNSM) renamed Niobe, 1958 scrapped. 1,359
Eider   see Cleopatra (3).  
Elbe (1) 1884 built by S.P. Austin & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Elbe, 1889 purchased from W. Zoder, Hamburg not renamed, in HRL service, 4th December 1903 stranded and lost. 1,152
Elbe (2) 1923 built by Hamburger Elbe Schiffwerft AG, Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg | In HRL service, 1924 sold to Reederei Röchling, Menzell & Co., Hamburg, 1927 sold to Oldenburg Portugiesische Dampfschiffs Rhederei, Oldenburg renamed Ceuta, 1927 sold to Koninklijke Nederlandsche Stoomboot Maatschappij (KNSM), Amsterdam renamed Ajax, 1940 bombed and sunk by German warplanes west off St. Catherine's Point. 998
Elbe (3)   see Bianca (4).  
Elve 1903 built by Bremer Vulkan, Bremen | Sold while building to P.A. van Es & Co., Rotterdam not renamed, 1915 sold to Nederlandsche Stoomvaart Maatschappij Oceaan, Amsterdam, 1919 seized by British Government, 17th October 1917 shelled and sunk by German submarine U.22. 1,087
Emilia 1957 built by Erste Donau Dampfschiffahrts Ges. Schiffswerft Korneuburg, Korneuburg | | 1975 sold to Sea Wind Shipping Co., Pireaus renamed Sea Wind, 1977 sold to Cyprus renamed Thasa, 1992-1993 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 299
Este   see Viola (3).  
Fulda 1923 built by Hamburger Elbe Schiffwerft AG, Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg | In HRL service, 1924 sold to Reederei Röchling, Menzell & Co., Hamburg, 1927 sold to Oldenburg Portugiesische Dampfschiffs Rhederei, Oldenburg renamed Palos, 1945 ceded to Great Britain, 1946 to the USSR renamed Kramzin, 1970 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 997
Gemma 1868 built by C. Mitchell & Co., Newcastle | ex- Claremont built for Milburn & Co., Newcastle, ex Gemma 1873, 1881 taken over with fleet of Gebrüder Schiller & Co. (Mgr F.G. Schmidt), Hamburg, in HLL service, 1914 sold to Sardegna Trasporti Marittima, Cagliari, Italy renamed Sardegna, 1917 sold to F. Lagoria fu C., Genoa, 1918 sold Ravano & Corrago, Genoa same name, 1925 scrapped. 850
Hamburg 1872 built by Humphreys & Pearson, Hull | ex- Hamburg, 1891 taken over with fleet of H.J. Perlach & Co., Hamburg, in HRL service, 1905 scrapped. 779
Hermia (1) 1883 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | In HLL service, 1st February 1887 struck rocks in Magellan Strait and foundered. 1,180
Hermia (2) 1876 built by J. Laing, Sunderland | ex- Rouen built for Adam Bros. & Co., Newcastle, 1889 purchased from J.C. Stracker, Newcastle renamed Hermia, in HLL service, 1906 sold to R. Ferreiros, Montevideo, Uruguay renamed Josefita, 1931 sold to Soc. Metalurgica Duro Felgura, Gijon, Spain renamed Sama, 10th September 1937 sunk after being bombed, 1938 salvaged, repaired, 1966 scrapped. 792
Hermia (3) 1910 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1928 Hamburg London Linie sold to Hapag, 1934 Hamburg London Linie resold to A. Kirsten, 1940 renamed Adriana, 29th December 1940 mined and sunk in River Elbe. 1,046
Jessica (1) 1880 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 20th May 1885 sunk after collision with Danish steamer CHRISTIANSBORG in Baltic Sea. 769
Jessica (2) 1878 built by London & Glasgow Engineering & Iron Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow | ex- Rambler built for H. Martini & Co., Glasgow, 1888 purchased from Marshall, Dodson & Co., Glasgow renamed Jessica, in HLL service, 25th November 1907 stranded and lost in Baltic Sea. 606
Jessica (3) 1908 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1914 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1928 Hamburg London Linie sold to Hapag, 1934 Hamburg London Linie resold to A. Kirsten, 1945 ceded to Norway renamed Varnes, 1947 repurchased by A. Kirsten renamed Jessica, 1952 scrapped. 1,047
Julia 1957 built by Erste Donau Dampfschiffahrts Ges. Schiffswerft Korneuburg, Korneuburg | | In RLL service, 1975 sold to Sea Calm Shipping Co., Pireaus renamed Calm Sea, 1979 sold renamed Calm I, 1985-1986 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 299
Krautsand 1950 built by Stader Schiffswerft GmbH, Stade | ex- Krautsand, 1974 purchased from G. Behrmann, Hamburg not renamed, In RLL service, 1975 sold to K. Blohm, Hamburg renamed G-A, 1988 sold to L. Gronquist, Porvoo, Finland renamed Prima, 1995 sold to Sweden renamed Erika. 417
Lavinia (1) 1887 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1896 sold to Kalikaknoff, Russia and resold to M.G. Sheveloff renamed Vladimir, 3rd August 1897 stranded off Cape Yamoff and lost. 1,749
Lavinia (2) 1902 built by Sunderland Shipbuilding Co., Sunderland | In HLL service, 1914 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1921 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 repurchased, 1928 sold to Hapag not renamed, 1935 sold to Fairplay, Richard Borchard not renamed, 1935 renamed Amalia, 1939 sold to Israel renamed Amal, 1949 sold to Italy renamed Fran, 1959 scrapped. 1,224
Lavinia (3)   see Portia (2).  
Lealott   see Volumnia (2).  
Lucetta (1) 1956 built by Büsumer Schiffswerft W. & E. Sielaff, Büsum | In RLL service, 1960 sold to Bundesmarine renamed Pfälzerland, 1973 sold, 1978 sold to Atlas Marine, Georgeton renamed Recreana, 1981 sold to Panama renamed Samano, 1986 sold to Columbia renamed Old Providence. 299
Lucetta (2) 1952 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | ex- Ulmbrüder 7 built for Gebr. Ulmann, Hamburg, ex- Oste I 1956, ex- Oste 1956, ex- Chemitank I 1962, 1965 purchased from Lloyd Seeschiffahrt GmbH, Hamburg renamed Lucetta, 1972 sold to K.H. Broeckmeulen Handel & Scheepvaart Bedrijf, Ridderkerk and used as an inland navigation vessel. 355
Luciana (1) 1898 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Anubis, 1914 interned at Callao, 1918 seized by Peru renamed Paita, 1921 sold same name, 1923 renamed Apurimac, 1945 sold idem, 1947 sold idem, 1954 laid up, 1955 scrapped. 4,763
Luciana (2) 1953 built by Kieler Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | ex- Luciana built for A.H. Schwedersky Nachf. GmbH, Kiel, Managed by A. Kirsten, 1959 sold to Patzlaff & Zuckschwerdt GmbH vorm. Weichsel Dampfschiffahrt AG, Kiel not renamed, 1963 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Miller’s Nachfolger, Hamburg,1964 sold to Flensburger Reederei AG von 1961, Flensburg renamed Hans Schmidt, 20th January 1972 sunk by explosion in engine room in heavy weather. 1,559
Lutetia 1877 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | ex- Lutetia built for Bell & Symonds, Newcastle, 1899 purchased from W. France & Co., Hull not renamed, in HLL service, 1903 missed at sea. 834
Maas 1904 built by Bremer Vulkan, Bremen | In HRL service, 1917 in service for Imperial German Navy, 1919 returned to A. Kirsten, 1924 renamed Holstenau, 1927 sold to Bugsier Reederei und Bergungs AG, Hamburg, 1939 sold to Kriegsmarine and converted into an accommodation, 1950 scrapped. 1,097
Mariana 1954 built by Büsumer Schiffswerft W. & E. Sielaff, Büsum | In RLL service, 1971 sold to H. van Zoest, Rotterdam renamed Regina, 1973 in inland navigation, 1974 sold to L. Langevoort renamed Tina L, 1981 sold to Panama renamed Tina, 1982 renamed Cortina, 1984 scrapped. 299
Minerva 1863 built by M. Samuelson & Co., Hull | ex- Minerva, 1891 taken over with H.J. Perlach & Co., Hamburg, in HRL service, 1907 sold to Cia. Arenera el Carmelo, Buenos Aires not renamed, 23rd February 1915 stranded and lost. 684
Miranda (1) 1887 built by J.L. Thompson & Sons, Sunderland | Launched as Royal Jubilee, completed as Foyle, 1889 purchased from Mercantile Steam Navigation Co., London renamed Miranda, 10th August 1895 stranded near Quessant and lost. 2,571
Miranda (2)   see Rhein (2).  
Miranda (3) 1956 built by Büsumer Schiffswerft W. & E. Sielaff, Büsum | In RLL service, 1974 sold to E.B. Taylor, Nassau, Bahama’s renamed Marcella II, 1987-1988 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 299
Modestia 1893 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Menes, 1912 sold to Armement Deppe, Belgium for Cie Nationale Belge de Transports Maritimes renamed Syrie, 25th December 1918 missing at sea. 3,310
Mosel 1911 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HRL service, 1935 sold to Fairplay, Richard Borchard renamed Alisa, 1936 sold to Atid Navigation Co., Haifa, 1937 sold to Egypt renamed Port Sudan, 1939 sold renamed Star of Mex, 30th January 1947 stranded and lost. 912
Nerissa (1) 1882 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1916 sold to KG Baltische Redderei GmbH, Hamburg not renamed, 1924 company restyled as Baltische Reederei, 1928 sold to L. Podesta, Genoa, Italy renamed Paola Z. Podesta, sold several times within Italy, 1938 sold to Achille Lauro, 1941 to Italian Navy, 8th October 1941 sunk by British aerial torpedo near Favignana. 882
Nerissa (2) 1937 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine, later renamed Schiff 200, 1940 returned to owner, 28th June 1944 sunk by Russian warships. 992
Nerissa (3) 1953 built by D.W. Kremer Sohn, Elmshorn | In HLL service, 1967 sold to Colon Enterprises (Shipping) SA, Panama renamed Viking, 1970 sold to Greece, 1970 sold to Myconos Shipping, Famagusts, Cyprus renamed Mathios, 1973 sold renamed Isabel Marina, 1978 sold to Navitrade Pte. Singapore renamed Silver River, 1979 sold to Panama renamed Hong Joo, 1988 sold to Thai Maritime Nav. Co., Bangkok renamed S.C.C.2, 1992-1993 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 766
Octavia 1897 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Sesostris, 4th March 1907 stranded and wreck sold, 1917 raised and repaired renamed Frances L. Skinner for USA owner, 1919 sold, 1921 sold to Uruguay renamed Oran, 1922 sold to Spain same name, 1926 sold renamed Felipe, 1934 scrapped at Bilbao. 4,718
Olivia 1884 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1914 seized by Russians at Petrograd, 1915 renamed Oranienbaum, 1916 renamed Terek, 1922 reverted to A. Kirsten, 1922 sold to Emil R. Retzlaff, Stettin renamed Bodwild, 1931 sold to Internationale Seefrachtenkontor, Stettin, 1932 sold to J. Vollmer & C. Eggert, Hamburg, 7-8th October 1934 sunk in collision with Norwegian steamer RAFTSUND. 879
Olympia 1872 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | ex- Olympia, 1888 purchased from AG Deutsche Dampfschiffs Rhederei zu Hamburg, Hamburg not renamed, in HPDL service, 21st February 1893 sank by ice near Aarhus. 1,011
Ophelia (1) 1879 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | In HLL service, 1911 sold to G. Medda, Genoa, Italy, 1912 sold to F. Zippitelli, Genoa, 1917 sold renamed Mercurio, 1924 sold to A. Papele, Catania, 1928 scrapped. 801
Ophelia (2) 1912 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1914 in sevica as a hospital ship, 1914 captured by British warship renamed Huntley, 21st December 1915 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine UB.10. 1,153
Ophelia (3) 1935 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1942 in service for Kriegsmarine renamed Sperrbrecher 172, 1945 allocated to Great Britain, 1948 sold to Atkinson & Prickett, Hull renamed Wensleydale, 1949 sold to Fairplay Towage & Shipping, London renamed Fred Borchard, 8th October 1950 developed heavy list and turned over, and sank on 13th October 1950. 1,446
Ophelia (4) 1953 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | In HChL service, 1969 sold to Evron Shipping (Hellas) Co., Pireaus, Greece not renamed, 27th September 1969 damaged by fire in engine room, declared total loss. 2,204
Paulina 1954 built by Büsumer Schiffswerft W. & E. Sielaff, Büsum | In HLL service, 1971 sold to H.K. Broekmeulen, Panama renamed Johann B, 1979 renamed Judea and under Dutch flag, 1977 in inland navigation, 1978 sold to J. Bartelos renamed Jozina B and lengthened. 299
Portia (1) 1879 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1911 sold to G. Medda, Genoa, Italy, 1912 sold to Cav. Pedamonte, Genoa renamed Spica, 1915 sold to A. Varischini, Libya, 1918 sold to E. Tocchi, Rome, 1920 sold to Soc. Maritima Coloniale, Tripoli, Libya renamed Megenin, 1926 scrapped. 769
Portia (2) 1911 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1914-1919 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1921 ceded to Great Britain, 1921 repurchased by A. Kirsten, 1928 Hamburg London Linie sold to Hapag, 1934 Hamburg London Linie resold to A. Kirsten, not renamed, 1940 renamed Lavinia, 1945 sunk as a blockship, 1948 raised, repaired and renamed Portia, 1962 scrapped. 1,189
Rhein (1) 1897 built by J. C. Tecklenborg A.G., Geestemünde | In HRL service, 1914-1919 in service for navy, 1926 sold to L. Podesta, Genoa, Italy renamed Alessandro, 1929 sold to Naviera Italie, Genoa, 1933 sold to Ligura Sicula di Nav., Genoa, 1936 sold to Achille Lauro, Genoa, 1940 to Italian Navy, 28th June 1940 mined and sunk. 669
Rhein (2) 1917 built by Scheepsbouwwerf De Merwede, Hardinxveld | ex- Noordstroom built for Hollandsche Stoombooot Maatschappij, Amsterdam (HSM), 1926 purchased from Murrell Steamship Co., West Hartlepool renamed Rhein, In HLL-HRL service, 1942 renamed Miranda, 8th July 1944 bombed and sunk. 736
Roland 1855 built by T.D. Marshall, Shields | ex- Propeller built for Lever, London, ex- Roland 1861, 1891 taken over with fleet of H.J. Perlach & Co., Hamburg, in HRL service, 1904 scrapped. 610
Roma 1882 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | ex- Roma, 1888 purchased from O.L. Eichmann, Hamburg not renamed, in HPDL service, 3rd August 1891 foundered at English Narrow in Smith Canal. 1,949
Silvia (1) 1886 built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | In HLL service, 1917 sold to Emil R. Retzlaff, Stettin not renamed, 1923 renamed Swanhild, 1931 sold to Sedina Schiffahrtskontor GmbH, Stettin, resold to F. Ursino di F., Catania, Italy renamed Doris Ursino, 1942 to Italian Navy, 4th January 1943 stranded at Reggio di Calabria and lost. 893
Silvia (2) 1938 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1939 in service for Kriegsmarine renamed V 103, 1940 renamed Sperrbrecher 33, 25th May 1941 heavy damaged by crashed British airplane near Texel, stranded and wrecked, wreck later scrapped. 1,049
Tamora 1955 built by Büsumer Schiffswerft W. & E. Sielaff, Büsum | In HLL-RLL service, 20th December 1972 sunk in collision in fog, raised repaired returned to service, 1976 sold to Shangri La Shipping Enterprises Co., Limassol, Cyprus renamed Burrasca, 1977 sold to Honduras renamed Sylvia. 299
Timandra (1) 1898 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1914 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1917 sold to H. Kayser & Sohn, Hamburg not renamed, 1918 renamed Ruth Kayser, 1918 sold to Schröder, Hölken & Fischer, Hamburg renamed Hedwig Fischer, 1921 sold to Albis Reederei, Hamburg renamed Albis, 25th November 1922 stranded and lost. 1,257
Timandra (2) 1912 built by Nüscke & Co., AG, Stettin | ex- Borussia built for Rhein & Seeschiffahrts Gesellschafft, Cologne, 1939 purchased from Köln Londoner Schiffahrts GmbH, Cologne, renamed Timandra, 1946 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Confal, 1945 to General Steam Nav. Co., London renamed Woodwren, 1953 renamed Artemis and converted to coal hulk at Gravesend. 948
Timandra (3) 1951 built by D.W. Kremer Sohn, Elmshorn | In HLL service, 1971 sold to Iliadis & Co., Saloniki, Greece renamed Aghia Trias, 1971 sold to Argo Maritime Co. same name, 1975 sold to Seaways Maritime Co. renamed Aldebaran, 1980 sold to Kathiawad Shipping Co., Panama renamed Jetpur Nagar, 7th October 1980 damaged in Iraq Iran War and declared total loss. 499
Titania (1) 1879 built by Mounsey & Foster, Sunderland | ex- Mercedes built for Adamson & Ronaldson, London, ex- C. Fellinger, 1886 purchased from Stoomvaart Maatschappij Insulinde, Amsterdam (SMI) renamed Titania, in HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1898 resold to US Government renamed Marcellus, 9th August 1910 sunk in collision with steamer ROSARIO DI GIORGIO near Cape Hatteras. 2,013
Titania (2) 1912 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1914-1919 in service for German Imperial Navy as a hospital ship, 1920 ceded to France, 1922 sold to P.A. Lapicque & Co., Haiphong renamed Song Bo.,1924 sold to Cie. Indo Chinoise de Nav., 1932 sold to Fock Ning Co., Shanghai renamed Foo Tong, sold several times and in 1937 renamed Mei Lee, 1938 sunk as a blockship. 1,187
Titania (3) 1912 built by F. Schickau, Elbing | ex- Badenia built for Rhein & Seeschiffahrts Gesellschafft, Cologne, 1939 purchased from Köln Londoner Schiffahrts GmbH, Cologne, renamed Titania, 1946 ceded to Great Britain renamed Empire Conexe, 1945 to General Steam Nav. Co., London renamed Ringdove, 1950 scrapped. 921
Titania (4) 1951 built by D.W. Kremer Sohn, Elmshorn | In HLL service, 1965 sold to H. & A. Köhlmann, Hamburg, 1968 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Miller’s Nachfolger, Hamburg renamed Boa Nova, 1970 sold to Greece, 1977 sold renamed Aspis, 30th June 1980 on fire, abandoned by crew and probably sunk. 499
Uranus 1870 built by T. & W. Smith, North Shields | ex- Bamborough built for W. Johnson, ex- Uranus 1874, 1891 taken over with fleet of H.J. Perlach & Co., Hamburg, in HRL service, 1914 sold to Aug. Bolten, Wm. Miller’s Nachfolger, Hamburg, 13th January 1915 stranded and lost. 926
Valeria (1) 1888 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1898 sold to Rob. M. Sloman & Co., Hamburg renamed Livorno, 1900 missing at sea. 2,022
Valeria (2) 1904 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 14th October 1910 foundered off Osel. 1,253
Valeria (3) 1913 built by Henry Koch, Lübeck | In HLL service, 21st March 1918 sank by British auxiliary cruiser near Nordfjord. 1,216
Valeria (4) 1937 built by Lübecker Maschinenbau Gesellschaft, Lübeck | In HLL service, 1941 in service for Kriegsmarine, 1942 renamed Sperrbrecher 176, 1943 returned to owner, 29th August 1944 bombed and sunk near Light Vessel Elbe I, wreck raised in 1968 and scrapped. 1,450
Valeria (5) 1957 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | In HChL service, 1962 sold to Van Nievelt Goudriaan & Co. Stoomvaart Maatschappij (Nigoco), Hamburg renamed Polaris, 1971 sold to Steran Shipping Co., Piraeus renamed Anemos, 1972 renamed Tania, 1978 sold same name, 1981 sold to Saudia Arabia renamed Elhawi Star, 10th December 1982 foundered in heavy weather. 2,372
Vesta (1) 1879 built by Palmers & Co. Shipbuilding & Iron Company, Jarrow | ex- Vesta, 1881 taken over with fleet of Gebrüder Schiller & Co. (Mgr F.G. Schmidt), Hamburg, in HLL service, 1882 sold to G, Beyer, Malmo, 1883 sold to Syd Svenska Angfartygs AB, Malmo, 1894 sold to Skanska Angfartygs AB, Malmo, 1899 sold to Det Forenede DS, Copenhagen, 1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.88 in Atlantic, 5 lives lost. 1,003
Vesta (2) 1882 built by Blohm & Voss A.G., Hamburg | In HLL service, 1917 sold to Emil R. Retzlaff, Stettin renamed Borghild, 1931 sold to Sedina Schiffahrtskontor GmbH, Stettin, later resold to Berger & Vollmer, Stettin, 1932 sold to M. Berger & O. Rethwisch, Stettin renamed Leonore, 1934 scrapped. 882
Viola (1) 1879 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1911 sold to Migliorino, Genoa, Italy, 4th January 1914 foundered. 769
Viola (2) 1912 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HLL service, 1914-1919 in service for German Imperial Navy, 1919 seized by French warships, to France, 1922 sold to Worms & Cie. renamed Pontet Canet, 1942 ceded by Germany to Mittelmeer Reederei GmbH, 1943 to Italy renamed Salemi, 2nd February 1944 torpedoed by British submarine and destroyed by shellfire from British warships near Capri. 1,156
Viola (3)   built by Reiherstieg Schiffswerfte & Maschinenfabrik, Hamburg | In HLL-HRL service, 1926 renamed Este, 1935 renamed Viola, 7th January 1945 mined and sunk in Bommelfjord. 991
Virgilia (1) 1887 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1890 disappeared at sea. 1,946
Virgilia (2) 1911 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | In HLL service, 1914 seized by Russians at Petrograd, 1916 renamed Svir, 1918 captured by German auxiliary cruiser MOEWE and returned to A. Kirsten, 22nd July 1936 heavy damaged in collision and later sunk. 1,079
Virgilia (3) 1924 built by Helsingör Jernskibs & Maskinbyggeri, Helsingör | ex- Martin Carl built for AS DS Heimdal, Copenhagen, ex- Daklint, 1950 purchased from DS Dania AS, Copenhagen renamed Virgilia, 1956 sold to G. Freymann, Hamburg renamed Seevogel, 7th December 1959 stranded off Öland, abandoned, broke in two and sank. 1,404
Virgilia (4) 1957 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | 1964 sold to O. Schilling, Hamburg not renamed, 1971 sold to Liberia same name, 1974 sold to Korpa Shipping Co. SA, Pireaus renamed Maria, 20th May 1981 damaged by fire and abandoned by crew, towed to beach and beached, declared total loss, 1986 returned to service as Farida II, 1989 sold for scrapping but stranded in tow off Manora. 2,374
Volumnia (1) 1892 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | In HPDL service, 1898 sold to DDG Kosmos not renamed, 1900 renamed Pentaur, 1912 sold to E.T. Olufsen, Durban, 1915 sold to Christian Salvesen, Leith, 1921 sold to Spain renamed Dolores de la Torre, 1924 hulked in Santander, 1939 sunk in aerial attack at Barcelona. 3,134
Volumnia (2) 1958 built by H.C. Stülcken Sohn, Hamburg | 1962 chartered to L. Adams, Hamburg renamed Lealott, 1966 renamed Volumnia, 1969 sold to Seereederei Ulsnis H.P. Vith & Co. KG, Hamburg renamed Ulsnis, 1972 reflagged to Cyprus, 1976 renamed Dexena, 1981 sold to Sang Thai Nav., Bangkok renamed Sang Tahai Steel, 1985-1986 deleted from Lloyd’s Register. 2,373
Wega 1872 built by C. Mitchell & Co., Newcastle | ex- Wega, 1881 taken over with fleet of Gebrüder Schiller & Co. (Mgr F.G. Schmidt), Hamburg, in HLL service, 1899 sold to Naviera Orientale, Pireaus, Greece renamed Athinai, 30th August 1917 shelled and sunk by German submarine UC.74 in Mediterranean Sea. 940
Werra 1920 built by Howaldtswerke AG, Kiel | Planned for Imperial Navy but completed as Werra for A. Kirsten, in HRL service, 1935 sold to Robert Rühr, Kiel not renamed, 1935 renamed Elisabeth, 1956 scrapped. 663
Weser 1923 built by Hamburger Elbe Schiffwerft AG, Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg | In HRL service, 1924 sold to Reederei Röchling, Menzell & Co., Hamburg, 1927 sold to Oldenburg Portugiesische Dampfschiffs Rhederei, Oldenburg renamed Musel, 1927 sold to P.A. van Es & Co., Rotterdam renamed Maas, 1940 seized by Germans, 1944 in German service bombed and sunk in dock at te Le Havre, 1946 raised and scrapped. 997

TheShipsList | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: March 02, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli