FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - R

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

RADNORSHIRE 1876
This was the first RADNORSHIRE belonging to D. J. Jenkins & Co, London which later became the Shire Line. The company owned seven ships with this name over the years. She was an 1,810 gross ton ship, length 301ft x beam 34.2ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 10 knots. Built by the London & Glasgow Shipbuilding Co, Glasgow, she was delivered in Nov.1876 and was used on the London - Hamburg - London - China - Japan route. On 19th Jun.1885 while en route Hamburg - London - Yagasaki, she was wrecked on Sorelle Rocks, Malta.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.22, Glen and Shire Lines]

RAKAIA / MARIE / RUTH STARK / MONTE CARLO 1873
1057 gross tons, length 210.3ft x beam 34ft (64.1m x 10.36m), iron hull, three masted full rigged ship with accommodation for 300 emigrants. Built by J. Bulmer, Sunderland, she was completed in Nov.1873 for the New Zealand Shipping Co and sailed on her maiden voyage for New Zealand in Feb.1874. Sold in 1893 after 17 round voyages to J.N.Robertus, Barthm Germany and renamed MARIE. 1906 grounded and sank, but refloated. 1911 owned by Crowell & Thurlew, Boston, Mass, reverted to RAKAIA and used on the Barbados trade. 1916 renamed RUTH STARK, same owners. 1919 sold to France, renamed MONTE CARLO. 1920 scrapped. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7]

RAKAIA / EMPIRE ABERCORN 1945
8,213 gross tons, length 474.2ft x beam 63.3ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 36 passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast as the EMPIRE ABERCORN for the Ministry of War Transport, managed by New Zealand Shipping Co, she was delivered in June 1945. On 26th Jun.1946 she was purchased by N.Z.S.Co, renamed RAKAIA and fitted with accommodation for 36 passengers. 10th Jun.1950 first sailing after conversion to the N.Z.S.Co - Federal Line joint cadet training ship for 38 cadets. 1953 Carried the first consignment of wool from Australia to Odessa during the UK dock strike. Oct.1957 In rough seas the main engine piston rod snapped and damage put the ship out of action 700 miles out from New York. Tarpaulin sails were set at No.2 hatch derrick posts and between the derricks at No.5 hatch. A staysail was also rigged at the foc'sle. These were used to aid the remaining, ailing engine and the ship reached Liverpool in 11 days. 1967 Transferred to Federal S.N.Co and ceased to carry cadets. Aug.1971 sold to Lee Sing Co, Hong Kong for scrapping. [Merchant Fleets, vol.7 by Duncan Haws]

RANGATIRA 1908
Built by Workman Clark, Belfast in 1908 for Shaw Savill & Albion, she was one of five sister ships built for the frozen meat trade. Her details were - 10,118 gross tons, length 145.69m (478ft) x beam 18.68m(61.3ft) x depth 9.54m(31.3ft), one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 1,000 steerage class in the 'tween deck space. Launched on December 16th 1908, she entered service as a frozen meat carrier in February 1909. On February 7th 1910 she was put on the Liverpool - Wellington service and in September 1914 was converted to a troopship by the Naval Dockyard at Sydney. She was wrecked on Robbin Island, Table Bay on 31.3.1916 and much of her cargo was salvaged in the five months that it took for the ship to break up. [Merchant Fleets, vol.10, Shaw Savill & Albion by Duncan Haws]

RANGITIKI / SCIMITAR / DALSTON / PAUL BOUKET 1863
The RANGITIKI was a 1,182 gross ton sailing vessel, length 210ft x beam 35ft (64,01m x 10,67m), iron construction, three masts, ship rigged and with accommodation for 300 emigrants. There were also cabins for up to 20-1st class passengers, but these were used mainly on homeward voyages. Outward these were used as family quarters equipped as dormitories. Built in 1863 by Martin Samuelson, Hull she was delivered in July to Finlay, Campbell & Co as the SCIMITAR. In 1872 she was owned by J. K. Welch & Co and in Dec.1873 she was purchased by the New Zealand Shipping Co and was the largest sailing ship to be owned by the company. She made one voyage as the SCIMITAR taking 71 days from Plymouth to Port Chalmers and was renamed RANGITIKI in mid 1874. In 1874 she made the fastese round voyage between UK and New Zealand in 6 monthe 27 days. Re-rigged in 1889 as a barque and in 1899 was sold to Skibs A/S Dalston, Norway and renamed DALSTON. Stripped down and reduced to a hulk at Noumea in 1911, renamed PAUL BOUKET. No further history recorded. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7, New Zealand Shipping & Federal Lines]

RANGITOTO / ORIENTAL CARNAVAL 1949
21,809 gross tons, length 609.2ft x beam 81ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 416 single class passengers. Built by Vickers-Armstrong, Newcastle for the New Zealand Shipping Co, she was launched on 12th Jun.1949 and started her maiden voyage London - Wellington on 25th August. In 1965 the mainmast was removed and a small tripod mast fitted to the funnel to carry the after steaming light. On 1st Jan.1966 she was painted in Federal Line colours and was officially transferred to Federal Line in 1967. Aug.1969 sold to C. Y. Tung's Orient Overseas Line, Hong Kong, operated by Oriental South America Line and renamed ORIENTAL CARNAVAL. 1970 Used on a Round the World service out of San Diego. 1975 Laid up at Hong Kong. Feb.1976 scrapped at Hong Kong.[Merchant Fleets, vol.7 by Duncan Haws]

RAVENNA 1901
4,101 gross tons, length 110.69m x beam 13.25m (363ft x 43.5ft), one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 42-1st and 1,320-3rd class passengers. Launched 2nd Mar.1901 by N. Odero & Co., Genoa for Italia Soc. di Nav. a Vapeur, Genoa. Maiden voyage started 5th Jun.1901 from Genoa to South American ports.4th Apr.1917 torpedoed and sunk by German submarine U.52 in Gulf of Genoa, 2 miles off Capo Mele on voyage Buenos Aires - Genoa.

RAVENSTEIN 1946
7,822 gross tons, length 166.50m x beam 19.66m, triple screw, speed 17.5 knots, accommodation for 4 passengers. Ordered 1941 by NDL from J. Cockerill, Hoboken (Yard No.697) as the REGENSBURG, construction stopped on 4th Aug.1943. In Sep.1944 she was seized by Belgium and launched on 14th Feb.1946 for Regie de la Marine, Brussels. 27th Jul.1947 completed for Cie. Maritime Belge and renamed BASTOGNE. 14th Mar.1955 purchased by NDL renamed RAVENSTEIN and 1961 re-engined. 1970 transferred to Hapag-Lloyd. 11th Aug.1971 sold to Costoula Shipping Corp, Cyprus renamed RAVENS. 10th Jun.1978 left Basrah for Gadani Beach where she was scrapped. [Norddeutscer Lloyd, Bremen, vol.2 by Edwin Drechsel.]

RE D'ITALIA 1906
She was a 6,560 gross ton ship, built by Sir J. Laing & Sons Ltd, Sunderland (engines by G. Clark Ltd, Sunderland) in 1906 for Lloyd Sabaudo of Italy. Her details were - length 430ft x beam 52.7ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 120-1st and 1,900-3rd class passengers. Launched on 22nd Dec.1906, she left Genoa on her maiden voyage to Naples, Palermo and New York on 6th Apr.1907. Her first voyage after the Armistice from Genoa to Marseilles and New York started on 27th Apr.1919 and in 1920 was refitted to carry 2nd and 3rd class passengers only. She continued Mediterranean - New York sailings until 1922 when she was transferred to the South America service. On 26th Oct 1923 she resumed the Genoa - Naples - Palermo - New York route for one round voyage and was scrapped at Genoa in 1929. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1367]

RED JACKET 1853
The RED JACKET was built in 1853 by George Thomas of Rockland, Maine and was named after an Indian Chief. She had a beautiful figurehead of this warrior complete with feathered headdress. Her registered tonnage was 2460 tons, length 260ft x beam 44ft x depth 26ft. She sailed from New York on her maiden voyage on 10th January 1854 and reached Point Lynas Point, Anglesey on 23rd Jan. She left Liverpool for the White Star Line, under the command of Captain Samuel Reid, on 4th May 1854 and made the passage to Port Phillip Heads in 69 days. By the 1870's she was being used in the North Atlantic timber trade from Canada to Liverpool and she ended her days as a coal hulk at Cape Verde. In her day, she was one of the crack passenger ships on the UK - Australia trade and was in competition with the Black Ball Line's LIGHTNING This information is from The Colonial Clippers by Basil Lubbock

REGINA / WESTERNLAND 1917
The REGINA was built by Harland & Wolff, Glasgow in 1917 and was a 16,313 gross ton ship, length 574.4ft x beam 67.8ft, completed as a cargo steamer with one funnel and one mast, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. Launched on 19th Apr.1917 for the Dominion Line, she went to Harland & Wolff, Belfast in August 1920 for completion as a passenger vessel. Here she was fitted with two funnels, two masts, an upper promenade deck, and accommodation for 600-cabin and 1,700-3rd class passengers. On 16th Mar.1922 she started her first voyage between Liverpool, Halifax and Portland and on 29th Apr.1922 her first between Liverpool, Quebec and Montreal. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 6th Nov.1925 and on 12th Dec.1925 started her first Liverpool - Halifax - New York voyage under charter to White Star Line. In June 1926 she was converted to Cabin, tourist and 3rd class accommodation and on 1st Nov.1929 commenced her last Liverpool - Belfast - Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal voyage for White Star. In 1929 she was sold to Red Star Line of Antwerp, renamed WESTERNLAND and commenced Antwerp - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York voyages on 10th Jan.1930 with tourist and 3rd class passengers. On 30th Nov.1934 she started her last Antwerp - Havre - Southampton - New York - Havre - London - Antwerp voyage and in 1935 went to Bernstein Red Star Line of Hamburg. Converted to carry 486-tourist class passengers, she commenced Antwerp - Southampton - New York sailings on 29th Mar.1935 and started her last voyage on this service on 6th May 1939. In 1939 she was sold to Holland America Line and in June of thay year resumed Antwerp - Southampton - New York sailings. She started her last passenger voyage on 10th Apr.1940 when she left Antwerp for New York and in November 1942 was bought by the British Admiralty and used as a repair ship. She was scrapped at Blyth in 1947. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.2, p.813]

REGINA was laid down in 1913 for the Dominion Line but was not launched until 19th Apr.1917 due to wartime restrictions. Completed in 1918 as a troopship and from Dec.1918 operated as a trooper between Liverpool and Boston repatriating U.S troops and carrying emigrants. She spent the whole of 1919 and much of 1920 on the Boston service and in Aug.1920 was returned to her builder and completed to her original design with accommodation for 631-cabin and 1,824-3rd class passengers.

REGINA D'ITALIA 1907
The REGINA D'ITALIA was a 6,560 gross ton ship, length 430ft x beam 52.7ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation for 120-1st and 1,900-3rd class passengers. Built by Sir J. Laing & Sons, Sunderland (engines by G. Clark Ltd, Sunderland), she was launched for Lloyd Sabaudo on 20th Jan.1907. Her maiden voyage started 15th May 1907 when she left Genoa for Naples, Palermo and New York. In Dec.1908 she acted as a hospital ship after the earthquake at Messina. Her first voyage after the Armistice started on 10th Apr.1919 when she sailed from Genoa for Marseilles and New York and in 1920 her accommodation became 2nd and 3rd class only. On 20th Jan.1920 she arrived at New York from Constanza, Constantinople, Smyrna, Piraeus and Messina and on 14th Mar.1922 she left Genoa for Naples, Boston and New York. She then transferred to the South American service. On 22nd May 1924 she commenced a single round voyage between Genoa, Naples, Palermo, Halifax and New York. In 1925 she took over the operation of the Australian emigrant service, together with the RE D'ITALIA and started sailings from Genoa via Suez to Fremantle, Melbourne and Sydney. She was scrapped in Italy in Oct.1928. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1367][North Star to Southern Cross by John M. Maber]

REGINA ELENA / SIKH / GEORGIA / SHINSEI MARU 1889
The REGINA ELENA was built in 1889 by Wigham Richardson & Co, Walker-on-Tyne as the SIKH for the British owned Mogul Line. She was a 2,811 gross ton ship, length 335ft x beam 40.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 25-2nd and 1,100-3rd class passengers. Launched on 16/1/1889, she was purchased by Puglia Societa di Navigazione of Bari, Italy in 1901 and renamed REGINA ELENA. On 22/4/1902 she sailed from Genoa on her first voyage to Messina, Palermo, Naples and New York, and made a total of six round voyages on this service, two each year interspersed with South American voyages. Her last North Atlantic crossing commenced 22/4/1904 when she left Naples for New York. In 1904 she was sold to Unione Austriaca, renamed GEORGIA and her 2nd class accommodation was upgraded to 1st class. On 28/11/1904 she commenced her first voyage from Trieste to the Azores and New York and on 27/6/1906 started her eleventh and last crossing from Trieste to Patras, Algiers and New York. She was sold to Japanese owners in 1907 and renamed SHINSEI MARU and on 7/1/1945 was bombed and sunk by US aircraft, SW of Formosa (Taiwan) [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1279]

REIFENSTEIN 1944
7,859 gross tons, 166.5m x 19.60m, triple screw, speed 17.5 knots, accommodation for 5 passengers. Ordered 1941 from J. Cockerill, Hoboken (Yard No.696) as the MARBURG and launched on 17th May.1944. 4th Sep.1944 sunk by the Germans in retreat, raised and repaired for the Belgian Government. 13th Jul.1946 delivered to Cie. Maritime Belge as the HOUFFALIZE. July 1955 purchased by NDL and renamed REIFENSTEIN, 1961 re-engined. 11th Aug.1971 sold to Costoula Shipping Corp, Cyprus renamed REIFENS, Aug.1972 sold to Elektra Shipping Co, Famagusta, 1978 scrapped at Kaohsiung. [Norddeutscer Lloyd, Bremen, vol.2 by Edwin Drechsel.]

REINA DEL PACIFICO 1931
17,702 gross tons, length 551.3ft x beam 76.3ft, two funnels, two masts, quadruple screw, speed 18 knots, accommodation for 280-1st, 162-2nd and 446-3rd class passengers. Launched 23rd Sep.1930 for Pacific Steam Navigation Co., Liverpool, she started her maiden voyage on 27th Mar.1931 when she sailed from Liverpool for La Rochelle, Vigo, Bermuda, Bahamas, Havana, Jamaica, Panama Canal, Guayaquil, Callao, Antofagasta, Valparaiso. On 19th Jan.1932 she started 'Round South America' service which she undertook once annually. In Sep.1939 she sailed to the Far East and then made one voyage to Halifax before being converted to a troopship. She was used in the Norway campaign and subsequent evacuation and then went to West Africa, Cape Town and Suez with R.A.F. personnel. Jan.1941 carried the 4th Indian division from Suez to Port Sudan for the Ethiopian campaign, then returned to the UK where she was bombed at Avonmouth and then in the Clyde, but undamaged. 22nd Mar.1941 loaded with troops and struck a submerged object in the Bristol Channel, lost her propeller and returned to Liverpool for repairs. She then made two Cape Town voyages and was then used for North Atlantic crossings from Halifax. After various trooping voyages, she was fitted with landing craft and in Oct.-Nov.1942 took part in the Oran landings. 1943 used in the invasion of Sicily and then further trooping voyages until the end of the war. 1946 used as a repatriation ship and in 1947 was returned to her builders for renovation. An engine room explosion killed 28 in Sep.1947 and she eventually returned to the Liverpool - Valparaiso service in 1948. In 1957 she went aground at Bermuda but was refloated two days later and later the same year, lost a propeller at Havana. Her final voyage started 27th Apr.1958 and she was then scrapped at Newport, Mon. [Merchant Fleets, vol.8 by Duncan Haws]

RELIANCE / JOHAN HEINRICH BURCHARD / LIMBURGIA 1914
The "Reliance" was a 19,618 gross ton ship, built in 1914 by J.C.Tecklenborg as the "Johann Heinrich Burchard" for Hamburg America Line. Her details were - length 590.4ft x beam 72.5ft, three funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 315-1st, 301-2nd and 850-3rd class. She carried a crew of 480. Launched on 10/2/1914, she was provisionally delivered on 20/11/1915 but due to the Great War, never sailed under her original name. On 8/6/1916 she was handed over to Royal Holland Lloyd as reparations for Dutch neutral ships sunk by the Germans, and renamed "Limburgia". In 1918 the Allies demended the transfer of the ship and a long delay ensued. On 3/2/1920 she left Bremerhaven for Amsterdam, still under claim and then served on the South America route. Finally, in 1922 she was transferred to United American Line, New York under agreement with Germany to re-open a passenger service between New York and Hamburg. She was refitted to carry 290-1st, 320-2nd and 400-3rd class passengers, 19,582 gross tons and renamed "Reliance". On 2/5/1922 she commenced her first Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York voyage and in 1923 was transferred to the Panamanian flag. Her last voyage on this service commenced 25/6/1926 and she was then re-acquired by Hamburg America Line. On 24/8/1926 she resumed Hamburg - Southampton - Cherbourg - New York sailings for these owners and in May 1930 was refitted to carry 1st, tourist and 3rd class passengers. In June 1931 she was again altered to carry 1st and tourist class only and on 6/8/1935 started her final Hamburg - New York voyage. She was subsequently engaged in cruising until 1937 when she was modernised by Blohm & Voss, fitted with broader funnels and given accommodation for 633-1st and 186-2nd class passengers. On 7/8/1938 she was gutted by fire at Hamburg and in 1940 was sold and scrapped by Krupp at Bremerhaven. [North Atlantic Seaweay by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.418] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

REMUERA 1911
11,445 gross tons, length 497ft x beam 60.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 14.5 knots. Accommodation for 56-1st, 88-2nd, 126-3rd and 250-emigrant class passengers. Built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton for the New Zealand Shipping Co in 1911, she started her maiden voyage from London to Wellington on 28th Sep.1911. She continued this service throughout the Great War and in 1920 was reconditioned and converted from coal to oil fuel. The passenger rating was reduced to cabin and tourist class in 1933, and on 26th Aug.1940 she was sunk by torpedo bombers off the northeast coast of Scotland with no loss of life.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7, New Zealand Shipping Co]

REPUBLIC / MAASDAM / VITTORIA / CITTA DI NAPOLI 1871
The MAASDAM was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1871 as the REPUBLIC for the White Star Line. She was a 3,984 gross ton ship, length 420ft x beam 40.9ft, one funnel, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 166-1st and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 4th Jul.1871, she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown and New York on 1st Feb.1872. Her last voyage on this service commenced 16th Jan.1889 and she was then sold to Holland America Line and renamed MAASDAM. Re-engined by G.Forrester & Co, Liverpool, and refitted to carry 150-1st, 60-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers, she started Rotterdam - New York sailings on 15th Mar.1890. In 1899 she was again refitted to accommodate 2nd and 3rd class passengers only, and on 6th Mar.1902 commenced her last voyage between Rotterdam, Boulogne and New York. In 1902 she went to Italian owners and was renamed VITTORIA and later the same year was sold to La Veloce of Genoa and renamed CITTA DI NAPOLI. Refitted to carry 1,424-3rd class passengers, she started sailings between Genoa, Naples and New York on 30th Sep.1902. Her thirtieth and last voyage on this route commenced 27th Apr.1907 and she was sold in 1908 and scrapped at Genoa in 1910. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.756]

RESOLUTE / BRABANTIA / LOMBARDIA 1914
The "Resolute" was built by AG Weser, Bremen in 1914 for the Hamburg America Line. She was a 19,653 gross ton ship, length 590.4ft x beam 72.2ft, three funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 17 knots. There was accommodation for 290-1st, 320-2nd and 400-3rd class passengers. Launched on 30/3/1914 as the "William O'Swald", she never sailed under that name and was laid up incomplete and transferred in 1916 to Royal Holland Lloyd as reparation for Dutch neutral ships sunk by Germany. She was renamed "Brabantia" and from 1920 was used in the South American service. She was resold in 1922 to the United American Line, renamed "Resolute" and on 11/4/1922 commenced sailing between Hamburg, Southampton, Cherbourg and New York. In 1923 she came under the Panamanian flag and commenced her last voyage on this service on 13/7/1926. In 1926 she was sold to Hamburg America Line and on 10/8/1926 started sailing between Hamburg, Southampton, Cherbourg and New York. She was refitted in June 1930 to carry 1st, tourist and 3rd class passengers, and again in June 1931 to carry 1st and tourist class only. She commenced her last Hamburg - New York voyage on 22/8/1933 and was then used for cruising. On 22/8/1935 she was sold to Italy for scrapping, but was taken over by the Italian government, renamed "Lombardia", refitted to carry 103-1st class and 4,400 troops. Employed as a troopship for the Abyssinian War under the management of Lloyd Triestino and later in the Mediterranean, she was bombed and sunk in dock by allied planes in 1943 at Naples. In 1947 she was scrapped at Spezia. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.417] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

REX 1930
This was the famous Italian liner REX which was probably one of the most beautiful liners ever built. Built in 1930 by G. Ansaldo & Co, Sestri Ponente, she was a 51,062 gross ton ship, overall length 879.9ft x beam 97ft, two funnels, two masts, four propellers and a speed of 28 knots. There was accommodation for 604-1st class, 378-special class, 410-tourist and 866-3rd class passengers. Launched on 1st Aug.1931 for Navigazione Generale Italiana, she came under the ownership of Italia Line in Jan.1932 and started her maiden voyage on 27th Sep.1932 when she sailed from Genoa for Naples, Gibraltar and New York. In Aug.1933 she took the Blue Riband for the fastest westbound crossing of the Atlantic when she sailed from Gibraltar to New York in 4days 13hours 58mins at an average speed of 28.92 knots. She commenced her last voyage on 30th Apr.1940 when she left Genoa for Gibraltar, New York (dep.11/5) and Naples. Between 1940 - 1944 she was laid up at Pula, Yugoslavia and on 8th Sep.1944 was bombed and sunk by British aircraft off Capo d'Istria. Salvaged in 1947-8 and scrapped in Yugoslavia.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4, p.1618]

REXMORE / MANCHESTER EXPORTER / NICARAGUA / YU TUNG / RIO BAMBA / PRECILA 1918
O.N.140584, 6,512 gross ton cargo steamer, length 420.3ft x beam 55ft, single screw, speed 12 knots. Completed Jun.1918 by Sir James Laing & Sons, Sunderland (Yard No.664) for the Johnstone Line, Liverpool (Furness, Withy & Co). 1929 Transferred within the Furness, Withy group to Manchester Liners Ltd, renamed MANCHESTER EXPORTER. 1947 sold to Cargueros Panamenos (Lambert Bros), Panama renamed NICARAGUA, 1948 sold to Yu Chung SS Co, Shanghai renamed YU TUNG, 1950 transferred to Wallem & Co, Panama renamed RIO BAMBA, 1952 renamed PRECILA, same owner, 1958 scrapped at Osaka.[Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1918 by Starke / Schell]

RHAETIA / CASSIUS / SUMNER 1882
Built by Reiherstieg, Hamburg in 1882 for the emigrant service of the Hamburg America Line. She was a 3,467 gross ton vessel, length 350.1ft x beam 42.6ft, one funnel, three masts (the foremast rigged for sail), single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 96-1st and 1,100-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23rd Nov.1882, she sailed from Hamburg on her maiden voyage to Havre and New York on 4th Apr.1883. On 4th Nov.1894 she commenced her last voyage on this service and in 1895 was taken by Harland & Wolff (shipbuilders) in part payment for the new ship PENNSYLVANIA. She then went to a German company and in 1898 was sold to the US Navy and renamed CASSIUS. In 1900, she became a US army transport and was renamed SUMNER. On 11th Dec.1916 she was wrecked on Barnegat Shoals, NJ. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.393]

RHAETIA (2) / BLACK HAWK / BLACK ARROW 1905
6,600 gross tons, length 409.5ft x beam 52.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 100-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack, she was launched on 5th Nov.1904 as the RHAETIA for Hamburg America Line, Hamburg. Her maiden voyage from Hamburg to New York started 27th May 1905 and she made one further voyage on this service before transferring to the South America route. On 24th Mar.1909 she commenced one more New York sailing and on 17th Jan.1914 started her first Hamburg - Boston voyage. She sailed from Hamburg on 7th Jul.1914 for Philadelphia and took refuge there on the outbreak of the Great War. Seized by US authorities in 1917, she was renamed BLACK HAWK and used by the US Government. In 1918 she came under the control of the US Shipping Board and was renamed BLACK ARROW. Chartered to the American Line, she sailed from New York on 25th Sep.1919 for Constantinople - Smyrna - New York and made her second and last voyage on this route in Jan.1920. She was then chartered to the New York & Cuba Mail Line and on 17th Dec.1920 started her first New York - Vigo - Coruna sailing. Her final crossing started 3rd Nov.1921 when she left Bilbao for New York and she was scrapped in 1924. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.1,p.411 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

RHEIN 1849
The RHEIN was a 450 gross ton, three masted barque, built in 1849. She was constructed of wood, and carried 20-1st class and 200-steerage passengers. She sailed between Hamburg and New York for the Hamburg America Line from 1849 to 1858 when she was sold. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

RHEIN 1868
The RHEIN was built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1868 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. Her details were - 2,901 gross tons, length 332ft x beam 40ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 70-1st, 100-2nd and 600-3rd class passengers. Launched in August 1868, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Bremen to Southampton and New York on 3/10/1868. In 1878 her engines were compounded by the builders and on 16/10/1889 she left Bremen on her last voyage to Baltimore and New York. On 18/9/1890 she commenced her last Bremen - Baltimore voyage and the following year was sold to a British company. She was scrapped in 1893.

RHEIN / SUSQUEHANNA 1899
The RHEIN was owned by Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd] of Bremen. Built be Blohm & Voss, Hamburg in 1899, she was a 10,058 gross ton ship, length 501ft x beam 58.5ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 148-1st, 116-2nd and 2,500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 20/9/1899 she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to New York on 9/12/1899. On 6/5/1900 she commenced her first Bremen - Baltimore voyage and on 11/4/1901 sailed from New York to Bremen with 1st,2nd and 3rd class passengers but subsequently carried 369-2nd, 217-3rd and 2,865-4th class. On 11/9/1901 she commenced the first of four round voyages from Bremen to Australia via Suez, but between 1900 and 1911 mainly ran between Bremen and New York and/or Baltimore. On 18/5/1911 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to Philadelphia and on 9/4/1914 made her last sailing from Bremen to New York and Baltimore and on 16/7/1914 commenced her last Bremen - Baltimore voyage (arr 29/7). In April 1917 she was seized by the US authorities at Baltimore, renamed SUSQUEHANNA and rebuilt to 9,959 tons. She was chartered to US Mail Steamship Co and commenced her first voyage from New York to Bremen and Danzig on 4/8/1920. She then had accommodation for 500-cabin class and 2,500-3rd class passengers. She made six round voyages on this service, the last commencing 6/4/1921 and then went to the United States Line. She commenced sailing between New York, Plymouth, Cherbourg and Bremen on 4/3/1922, and sailed on her last voyage on this service on 31/8/1922 (5 round voyages) and was sold to Japan in Nov.1928 and was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1,p.562]

RHEINSTEIN / DONAUTAL / LAURGAIN EXPRESS 1951
2,693 gross tons, length 119.60m x 15.30m, built 1951 by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack, speed 13.5 knots, accommodation for 3 passengers. Owned by North German Lloyd until 1970 when she transferred to the newly formed HAPAG-Lloyd. Aug.1971 laid up in Hamburg then sold to Mayo Shipping Co, Monrovia, Liberia and promptly resold to Nelson Seeschiffahrtsagentur & Reederei Ges., Vienna renamed DONAUTAL. 1974 sold to F. Glatz, Vienna, (D. Wardel & Co, Singapore, managers). 1980 sold to Laurgain Towage Co, Panama renamed LAURGAIN EXPRESS. 1980 scrapped at Taiwan. This ship was North German Lloyds first postwar newly built ship and was the first German ship to arrive at Los Angeles after the war on 1st Jul.1954.[Norddeutscher Lloyd Bremen, vol.2 by Edwin Dreschel contains photo]

RHYNLAND / RHYNA 1879
The RHYNLAND was built by Barrow Shipbuilding Co. in 1879 for the Red Star Line. She was a 3,689 gross ton ship, length 402.8ft x beam 40.2ft, one funnel, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. Accommodation was provided for 150-1st and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10/3/1879, she sailed from Antwerp on her maiden voyage to New York on 10/6/1879. On 27/7/1895 she commenced her last voyage on this service and was then chartered to the American Line. In August 1895 she started sailing between Philadelphia and Liverpool and was altered to carry 150-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. On 4/3/1903 she commenced her last voyage on this service and on 29/4/1903 went back to the Red Star Line route from Philadelphia to Antwerp with 3rd class only. She made her last sailing on 28/12/1904 on this route and then resumed sailings between Antwerp and New York. Her last voyage commenced on 22/5/1906 and later the same year she was sold to Italian owners who renamed her RHYNA. She was scrapped later the same year. [North Atlantic Seaway by  N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.852]

RICHARD YOUNG / BRANDON 1871
The RICHARD YOUNG was a 718 gross ton ship, length 239.7ft x beam 27ft, two funnels, two masts, side paddle wheel propulsion, speed 14 knots. She had capacity for 480 passengers. Built in 1871 by John & William Dudgeon, Cubitts Town, London for the Great Eastern Railway, she was used on the Harwich - Rotterdam passenger service. In 1890 she was converted to single screw propulsion by Earle's Ltd, Hull, renamed BRANDON and served on various secondary routes (viz: Ipswich - Rotterdam). 1905 scrapped in Holland. [Merchant Fleets, vol.25 by Duncan Haws]

RIMUTAKA / ZAMANIA 1884
RIMUTAKA was a 4,473 gross ton ship built in 1884 by John Elder, Glasgow for NZSCo. She was a clipper stemmed ship, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), length 430ft x beam 46ft x depth 24ft, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. Launched in October 1884, she sailed on her maiden voyage from London for Cape Towm, Auckland and Wellington on 15/1/1885. She continued on this service until starting her last voyage on 30/3/1899. Later the same year she was sold to the British India Steam Nav.Co and renamed ZAMANIA. Used on the Madras - Straits Settlements route and in July 1911 was scrapped in Japan. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber][Merchant Fleets, vol.11,British India S.N.Co by Duncan Haws]

RIMUTAKA 1900
RIMUTAKA was built by Wm Denny, Dumbarton in 1900 for NZSCo. She was a 7,765 gross ton ship, twin screw, 14 knots, accommodation for 40-1st, 50-2nd and 250-3rd class passengers. She commenced London - Cape Town - Auckland - Wellington sailings on 3/1/1901 and continued on this service until 1920 except for the war years. On 23/12/1920 she commenced Southampton - Panama - Auckland - Wellington voyages and started her last sailing on this route on 15/11/1929. She was scrapped the following year.[North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

RIMUTAKA / MONGOLIA / EUROPA / NASSAU / ACAPULCO 1923
RIMUTAKA was a 16,576 gross ton ship, built by Armstrong Whitworth, Newcastle in 1923 as the MONGOLIA for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Nav. Co (P&O Line). This was a twin screw, 16 knot steamer, one funnel, two masts, with accommodation for 840-tourist class passengers. Becoming surplus to P&O's requirements, she transferred under long term charter to NZSCo in 1938, was renamed RIMUTAKA and started London - Panama - Auckland - Wellington sailings on 8/12/1938. Her last sailing on this route commenced 11/10/1949 and in February 1950 she was sold to Cia de Nav.Ingres, Panama and renamed EUROPA. Transferred to Liberian registry in 1952 and renamed NASSAU and in 1961 was sold to Nav.Turisticana Mexicana, Mexico, renamed ACAPULCO and used as a cruise ship. She was eventually scrapped in Japan in 1964. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

RIO PARDO 1905
4,588 gross tons, length 362.1ft x beam 46.7ft, twin screw, speed 11 knots, accommodation for 50-1st and 230-steerage class passengers. Launched on 20th May 1905 by J. C. Tecklenborg, Geestemunde as the DALMATIA for Hamburg America Line's Hamburg - Rio Grande service. 21st Jun.1906 sold to Hamburg South America Line and renamed RIO PARDO for the Hamburg - Brazil service. 25th Mar.1917 requisitioned by the Imperial German Navy and commenced conversion to a Sperrbrecher (Barrier Breaking Vessel) and entered service as SPERRBRECHER 4. 14th Dec.1918 returned to her owners. 25th May 1919 Surrendered to the Allied Shipping Commission and on 10th Aug.1920 allocated to the Shipping Controller, London and operated by Orient Steam Navigation Co. 1920 sold to Ellerman Bucknall Lines, Liverpool renamed CITY OF ALEXANDRIA and used on the UK - South Africa service.1933 scrapped at Queenstown, Ireland *. [Hamburg South America Line by J. Cooper, A. Kludas & J. Pein contains good photo of the ship, ISBN 0-905617-50-9]
* Other sources give - 1933 sold to Petersen & Albeck, Hamburg and laid up, 1936 scrapped Scotland.

RIVERINA 1905
O.N.120729, 4758 gross tons, length 370ft x beam 49.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 15 knots. Built by Sir James Laing & Sons, Ltd, Sunderland (Yard No.610), she was completed in Oct.1905 for Huddart, Parker & Co. Pty., Ltd, Melbourne. On 17th Apr.1927 she was wrecked 1.5 miles west of Gabo Island, Victoria on voyage Hobart to Sydney with passengers and general cargo. [Register of Merchant Ships completed in 1905 by Wm. A. Schell]

RIVIERA / LAIRD'S ISLE 1911
1,674 gross tons, 649 net tons, length 98,45m x beam 12,45m x depth 5,03m, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 20.5 knots. Coal burner. Accommodation for 105-1st and 45-2nd class passengers and was also designed to carry cars. Crew 56. Built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton and launched on 1st Apr.1911 as the RIVIERA for the South Eastern and Chatham Railway and entered service on the Calais route on 8th June. In 1914 she was temporarily converted to a seaplane carrier for 3 planes, and in 1915 was permanently converted by Cunard at Liverpool, given a large hangar aft and carried 4 planes. Refitted at Chatham in 1920, she returned to service in April. On 1st Jan.1923 she transferred to Southern Railway and in 1925 was replaced by new steamers and placed in reserve and summer work. Purchased by J.B.Couper in 1932 for Burns & Laird, she was renamed LAIRD'S ISLE, converted to oil burning and placed on the Ardrossan (day) - Belfast service. From 1939 she served as a Fleet Air Arm target ship and an Armed Boarding Vessel at Dover. Converted in 1944 into a Landing Ship Infantry, LS1(H) - with six manually launched Landing Craft Assault (LCAs). Pennant 4.21. Released in 1945 and refitted by Denny, she returned to service and was eventually scrapped at Troon in 1957.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.24, Britain's Railway Steamers, Western & Southern companies, French & Stena]

ROBERT HENDERSON 1857
552 gross tons, length 158ft x beam 28.3ft (48,15m x 8,62m), three masted ship rigged vessel, wooden hull. Built at Aberdeen in 1857 for P. Henderson's Albion Line (hence the name). Slim and fast with excellent emigrant accommodation. The saloon was 50ft (15,24m) long between the fore and main masts. Acquired by Shaw Savill in 1871 and sold to J. Hay & Co, London in 1872. Condemned and scrapped in 1882.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.10, Shaw, Savill & Albion]

ROCHAMBEAU 1911
The ROCHAMBEAU was built by Chantiers & Ateliers de St Nazaire, St Nazaire in 1911 for Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). She was a 12,678 gross ton ship, length 559.4ft x beam 63.7ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 428-2nd and 1,700-3rd class. Launched on 2/3/1911, she sailed from Havre on her maiden voyage to New York on 16/9/1911. She started her last voyage on this service on 7/3/1915 and on 4/4/1915 commenced Bordeaux - New York sailings. Her last sailing on this route commenced 9/1/1919 and she was then refitted to carry 475-cabin and 1,450-3rd class passengers. On 18/2/1919 she resumed Havre - New York voyages and in August 1926 was altered to carry cabin and tourist class. Again altered in December 1927 for cabin, tourist and 3rd class, she made her last Havre - Vigo - New York sailing in July 1933 and was scrapped at Dunkirk the following year. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.661]

ROHILLA 1880
3,511 gross tons, length 386.4ft x beam 40.4ft, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 81-1st and 30-2nd class passengers. Launched on 27th Apr.1880 by Caird & Co, Greenock for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co (P & O. Line). Used mostly on the UK - India and Far East routes, but made two London - Colombo - Melbourne - Sydney voyages in 1882 / 3. In Oct.1900 she was sold to Toyo Kisen KK, Japan and renamed ROHILLA MARU. 1903 stranded on Palauig Reef, Philippines and seriously damaged. 1904 taken over by Japanese Government as a hospital ship. Dec.1904 extensively damaged in collision with the MANSHU MARU at Moji, repaired and in 1905 returned to owners. 7th Jul.1905 wrecked on Manaita Rock at Ujina in the Inland Sea, broke her back and abandoned. [P & O. A Fleet History by Rabson and O' Donoghue]

ROLAND / BAHRIAHMER 1893
The ROLAND was built by Sir W.G.Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, Walker-on-Tyne in 1893 and was bought on the stocks by Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was a 3,603 gross ton ship, length 345ft x beam 43.8ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 28-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 1/5/1893, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to New York on 13/9/1893. On 9/12/1893 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to South America and on 27/8/1896 started her first run on the Bremen - Baltimore route. She commenced her last N.Atlantic voyage on 15/2/1906 from Bremen to Baltimore (30 round voyages on N.Atlantic) and her last Bremen - S.America voyage on 7/8/1909 (16 S.Atlantic voyages). On 11/11/1910 she sailed on her last Bremen - Havana run (3 round voyages). In 1911 she was sold to a Turkish company who renamed her BAHRIAHMER and on 7/11/1914 she was sunk by the Russian Navy off Eregli, Black Sea. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.557]

ROLLO 1870
1,437 gross tons, length 260ft x beam 32.3ft, one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, accommodation for 50-1st, 28-2nd and 498-steerage class passengers. Built 1870 by C. & W. Earle, Hull for Thos. Wilson, Sons & Co., Hull and used on the Scandinavia to Hull service. 1879 lengthened to 274.7ft, 1,610 gross tons. 1909 scrapped at Einswarden. [The Wilson Line of Hull, 1831-1981 by A.G.Credland & M.Thompson]

ROLLO 1920 see FANTEE 1899

ROMA 1902
2,671 gross tons, length 411.1ft x beam 46.1ft, two funnels, two masts, single screw, speed 15 knots. accommodation for 54-1st and 1,400-3rd class passengers. Launched on 14th Aug.1901 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne for the Fabre Line, Marseilles, she started her maiden voyage on 30th Apr.1902 from Marseilles to Naples and New York. Calls at Lisbon, Azores and Providence R.I. were also made. In 1912 accommodation for 60-2nd class passengers was added and in Apr.1928 she made her last Marseilles - New York voyage. Dec.1928 scrapped at La Seyne. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3 , p.1134 by N.R.P.Bonsor]

ROMA / AQUILA 1926
The ROMA was built by G.Ansaldo & Co, Sestri Ponente, Italy in 1926 for Navigazione Generale Italiana. She was a 32,583 gross ton ship, overall length 709ft x beam 82.6ft, two funnels, two masts, four propellers and a speed of 20 knots. There was capacity for 375-1st, 300-2nd, 300-intermediate and 700-3rd class passengers. Launched on 26th Feb.1926, she sailed from Genoa for Naples and New York on 21st Sep.1926. In Nov.1931 she made her last voyage on this service and in 1932 came under the control of the Italian company Italia. She resumed Genoa - Naples - New York sailings for her new owners on 15th Jan.1932, and in Apr.1933 was refitted to accommodate 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class passengers. In February and April 1935 she made two Trieste - New York voyages under charter to Cosulich Line and was then transferred to the Genoa - Naples - South America service. On 29th Apr.1940 she made a single round voyage between Trieste - Venice - New York and Genoa and in 1943 was converted to an aircraft carrier for the Italian navy and renamed AQUILA. She was damaged by bombing at Genoa on 16th Jun.1944, and on 19th Apr.1945 was sunk by aerial torpedoes. The wreck was towed to Spezia in 1945 and was scrapped in 1951. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1617]

ROMA / GLACIER / ATHELING 1942
14,687 gross tons, overall length 491.9ft x beam 69.5ft, one funnel, one mast, single screw and a speed of 17 knots. Accommodation for 94-1st and 708-tourist class passengers. Built by the Seattle-Tacoma Shipbuilding Corp, Tacoma, Wash(engines by Allis Chalmers Manuf. Co, Milwaukee). She was laid down as a C.3. type freighter but was completed and launched on 7th Sep.1942 as the escort carrier USS GLACIER. In 1943 she was transferred to the Royal Navy and renamed HMS ATHELING and returned to the US Navy in Dec.1946. Sold to Lauro Lines of Naples in 1950, she was extensively rebuilt at Genoa, renamed ROMA and in August 1951 started Genoa - Australia sailings. On 3rd May 1953 she started her first voyage between Genoa, Naples, Palermo, Halifax and New York. Her first sailing between Naples, Genoa, Barcelona, Halifax and New York started on 5th Feb.1954 and on 30th Nov.1956 she left New York on her last crossing to Gibraltar, Barcelona, Genoa and Naples having made 37 round voyages on the North Atlantic. She then reverted to the Australia service. In 1960 she was rebuilt to 14,976 gross tons with accommodation for 119-1st and 1,026-tourist class passengers and in 1966 sailed on her first voyage from Naples to La Guaira. Broken up at Savona in 1967.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1724-5]

ROMAN 1863
O.N.44906, 1,282 gross tons, length 267ft x beam 32.4ft, x depth 23.6ft, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw, speed 9 knots, accommodation for 60-1st and 60-fore cabin passengers. Completed 30th Apr.1863 by Charles Lungley & Co, Deptford, London for the Union Line and broke the southbound record Plymouth to Cape Town on her maiden voyage of 30 days 20 hours. 1870 lengthened by 54 ft, 1,751 gross tons, 1872 re-engined to give speed of 11 knots. On 25th May 1873 she hit an uncharted rock off Dassen Island and turned back to Cape Town for repairs. 1880 used on Cape - Zanzibar route. 1888 Southampton - Hamburg feeder service. 1889 sold to Essayan Oondjian & Co, Constantinople renamed ADANA. Passed through the ownership of several other Turkish companies until Oct.1911 when she was scuttled as a blockship in the approaches to Yenikale (Gulf of Izmir) during the Italo-Ottoman War. [Union Castle Line by Peter Newell]

ROMAN 1884
4,572 gross tons, 405ft x 43.6ft, one funnel, four masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 12 knots, cargo ship with limited passenger accommodation. Built 1884 by Laird Bros, Birkenhead for British & North Atlantic S.N. Co. (Dominion Line), she ran for Warren Line and started her maiden voyage on 29th Oct.1884 between Liverpool and Boston. Returned to Dominion Line in 1895. On 31st Aug.1895 when she made one round voyage for Dominion Line between Liverpool. Quebec and Montreal. From 1901 she sailed between Liverpool or Avonmouth and Portland. 1910 scrapped at Troon.

ROMANIC / NEW ENGLAND / SCANDINAVIAN 1898
Built as the NEW ENGLAND by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1898 for the Dominion Line. She was an 11,394 gross ton vessel, length 550.3ft x beam 59.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 200-1st, 200-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. Launched on 7/4/1898 she started her maiden voyage from Liverpool to Boston on 30/6/1898. She commenced her last voyage on this service on 17/9/1903 and then went to the White Star Line who renamed her ROMANIC. She sailed from Liverpool to Boston on 19/11/1903 and was then used on the Genoa - Naples - Boston service. In January 1912 she went to the Allan Line was renamed SCANDINAVIAN and modified to carry 400-2nd and 800-3rd class passengers. On 23/3/1912 she commenced her first sailing from Glasgow to Halifax and Boston and on 4/5/1912 her first voyage from Glasgow to Quebec and Montreal, returning with part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force. She then resumed the Glasgow - Canada service. In 1917 she went to Canadian Pacific Ocean Services and between 1918 and 1920 ran between Liverpool and New York and Liverpool and St.John.NB. On 18/5/1920 she commenced a service from Antwerp to Southampton, Quebec and Montreal, starting her last voyage on 24/5/1922. She was then laid up at Gareloch and in 1923 was scrapped in Germany. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.762]

ROME / VECTIS 1881
5013 gross tons, length 430ft x beam 44.3ft, two funnels, four masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 15 knots. Accommodation for 187-1st and 46-2nd class passengers. Built by Caird & Co, Greenock and delivered to P & O Steam Navigation Co on 12th Sep.1881 and sailed from London for Bombay, Melbourne and Sydney on 5th Oct. She made one further voyage on this route and on 12th Apr.1883 transferred to London - Colombo - Melbourne - Sydney sailings. Re-engined in 1892 and lengthened to 449 ft, she made her last sailing to Sydney on 7th Aug.1903. In 1904 she was renamed VECTIS and used as a cruising ship and in 1912 was sold to the French Government and was scrapped in Italy the following year. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1]

ROMEO 1881
The ROMEO was a 1,885 gross ton ship built in 1881 by Earle's of Hull for the Wilson Line of Hull. Her length was 275ft x beam 34.6ft, single funnel, two masts and single screw. She was sunk on 3.3.1918 when torpedoed by the German submarine U-102, 7 miles south of the Mull of Galloway, while on passage to Liverpool in ballast. 29 crew including the master were lost.[The Wilson Line of Hull by A.G.Credland & M.Thompson]

ROON / CONSTANTINOUPOLIS 1902
The ROON was a 8,022 gross ton ship, length 453.7ft x beam 55.8ft, one funel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 109-1st, 102-2nd and 1,700-3rd class passengers. Built by J. C. Tecklenborg, Geestemunde, she was launched for North German Lloyd of Bremen on 1st Nov.1902. On 15th Apr.1903 she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Suez and the Far East and on 19th Feb.1908 started her first Bremen - Suez - Australia voyage and made 10 round voyages on this route. Her first Bremen - New York sailing commenced on 2nd Mar.1909 and her fourteenth and last voyage to the far East (from Hamburg) started on 5th Oct.1911. On 6th Jul.1913 she left Bremen on her ninth and last New York voyage and on 1st Jul.1914 she sailed from Bremen for Australia, but on the outbreak of the Great War, she took refuge in Tjilatjap, Java which was a neutral port. Surrendered to Britain in 1919, she went to Greek owners in 1920 and was renamed CONSTANTINOUPOLIS. In May 1925 she was scrapped in Germany.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.569]

ROSLIN CASTLE / REGINA 1883
The ROSLIN CASTLE was built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow for the Castle Line. She was a 4,267 gross ton ship, length 378ft x beam 48.3ft, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 158-1st and 84-2nd class passengers. Launched on April 24th 1883, she commenced her maiden voyage in August and sailed to Lisbon and South Africa. She was a troublesome ship and gained a reputation as a heavy roller. In 1888 she was returned to her builders to be modernised and to remedy her defects. Here she was lengthened by 15ft, her stern rebuilt and passenger accommodation improved and fitted her with compound engines. Her tonnage was increased to 4,487 tons and she returned to the South Africa Mail service. In 1899 she was taken over for trooping service during the Boer War and appears to have continued on this service until 1902 when she returned to the mail service. In 1905 she was sold to German owners and renamed REGINA intended to act as a collier and store ship for the Russian fleet that was bound for Vladivostok. Sent to East Africa, she ran aground off Mozambique in May 1905, and lay there for several months until refloated in November. She was towed to Durban and patched up sufficiently to enable her to sail to Europe, but was not considered worth repairing permanently and was sold to shipbreakers at Genoa and scrapped the following year. ["A Castle of the Eighties" by J.H.Isherwood, Sea Breezes magazine, August 1956]

ROTHENSTEIN 1946
7,834 gross tons, 166.50m x 19.66m, triple screw. speed 17.5 knots, accommodation for 5 passengers. Ordered 1941 by NDL from J. Cockerill, Hoboken (Yard No.695) as the COBURG. Launched on 8th Dec.1943 but sunk by the retreating Germans. 27th Dec.1944 raised and completed 23rd Apr.1946 for Cie Maritime Belge as the STAVELOT. 11th May 1955 purchased by NDL renamed ROTHENSTEIN. 1961 re-engined. Aug.1971 sold to Costoula Shipping Corp, Cyprus renamed ROTHENS. Feb.1972 sold to Tatiana Shipping Co, Famagusta, 1979 scrapped at Kaohsiung. [Norddeutscer Lloyd, Bremen, vol.2 by Edwin Drechsel.]

ROTORUA 1910
The first ROTORUA was a 11,130 gross ton ship, length 484.2ft x beam 62.3ft, one funnel, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 52-1st, 72-2nd, 156-3rd and 280-emigrant class passengers. She was fitted with refrigerated cargo space for 170,000 carcasses of lamb. Built by Wm.Denny, Dumbarton she was launched on 9th Jul.1910 for the New Zealand Shipping Co. Her maiden voyage started 27th Oct.1910 when she left London for Capetown, Auckland and Wellington. She remained on this service until 22nd Mar.1917 when she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UC-17, 20 miles from Start Point, Devon with the loss of one life. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.7, New Zealand Shipping and Federal Lines][North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber][Great Passenger Ships of the World, vol.1, by Arnold Kludas]

ROTTERDAM 1872
This was a 1,694 gross ton ship, length 254.8ft x beam 35.1ft (77,65m x 10,70m), one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 8-1st and 288-3rd class passengers. Built by Henderson, Coulborn & Co, Glasgow, she was launched for Plate, Reuchlin & Co on 6th Jun.1872. On 15th Oct.1872 she started her maiden voyage from Rotterdam to Plymouth and New York and in 1873 was taken over by Holland America Line. She commenced Rotterdam - New York sailings on 4th May 1873 and continued this service until starting her last voyage on 18th Aug.1883. On 26th Sep.1883 she was wrecked on the Dutch coast near the Isle of Scouwen with no casualties.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.908]

ROTTERDAM / C.F.TIETGEN / DWINSK 1897
Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1897 as the third ROTTERDAM for the Holland America Line. She was an 8,302 gross ton ship, length 470.3ft x beam 53.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 200-1st, 150-2nd and 2,000-3rd class. Launched on 18th Feb.1897, she sailed from Rotterdam on her maiden voyage to Boulogne and New York on 18th Aug.1897. She started her last voyage on this service on 17th Feb.1906 and then went to the Scandinavian American Line and was renamed C.F.TIETGEN. On 26th Apr.1906 she commenced her first Copenhagen - Christiania (Oslo) - Christiansand - New York voyage and started her last voyage on this service on 6th Nov.1913. She then went to the Russian American Line, was renamed DWINSK and commenced sailings between Libau and New York on 10th Feb.1914. Her last voyage on this service started 28th Jul.1914 and she transferred to Archangel - Hammerfest - New York sailings on 20th Sep.1914. In 1917 she was put under Cunard management and sailed under the British flag until 18th Jun.1918 when she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.151, 400 miles from Bermuda. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1356]

ROTTERDAM 1908
This was the fourth ship with this name owned by the Holland America Line. She was a 24,149 gross ton ship, length 650.5ft x beam 77.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 530-1st, 555-2nd and 2,124-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched on 3rd Mar.1908 and on 13th Jun.1908 started her maiden voyage from Rotterdam to New York. Her last voyage started on 23rd Feb.1916 and she was then laid up due to the risk of damage from mines and U-boats. She resumed Rotterdam - Brest - New York sailings on 24th Jan.1919 and in 1920 was converted from coal to oil fuel. In Apr.1926 her accommodation was altered to 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class; in Jan.1930 to 1st, tourist and 3rd class; in Jun.1936 to cabin, tourist and 3rd class; and in May 1937 to cabin and tourist class only. Her last Rotterdam - New York - Rotterdam voyage started on 21st Nov.1939 and in Jan.1940 she was scrapped at Hendrik Ido Ambacht. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.913]

ROUSSILLON / GOEBEN 1906
The "Roussillon" was built by AG Weser, Bremen in 1906 as the "Goeben" for North German Lloyd of Bremen. She was a 8,800 gross ton ship, length 462.1ft x beam 57.6ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 281-cabin class and 1,333-3rd class passengers. Launched on 11/12/1906, she sailed on NGL's Far East service until June 1911 when she made her first Bremen - Southampton - Suez - Fremantle - Adelaide and Sydney voyage. She made a second round voyage on this route and then reverted to the Far East service. In August 1914, at the outbreak of the Great War, she was interned at Vigo and in 1919 was transferred to French ownership, renamed "Roussillon" and came under the control of Compagnie Generale Transatlantique (French Line). On 28/9/1920 she started her first Marseilles - New York voyage and on 3/12/1920 commenced Havre - New York sailings. Her last voyage on this service started on 18/9/1923 and on 1/11/1923 she transferred to Bordeaux - New York voyages. Her final Bordeaux - New York sailing took place on 24/8/1930 and in February 1931 she was scrapped at Pasajes, Spain. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.662] [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

ROWANMORE 1900
The ROWANMORE was a 9,455 gross ton cargo ship belonging to Johnston Warren Lines of Liverpool. She was built in 1900 by C.Connell & Co of Glasgow specifically for the company's Baltimore trade but was also used in their Gulf of Mexico service. I don't have any further information on this ship.

ROYAL CHARTER 1854
In 1854, Gibbs, Bright & Co took over the hull of the iron sailing ship ROYAL CHARTER, then lying incomplete at Sandycroft, near Chester, the builder having failed. After survey, the vessel was completed as a 2,719 gross ton auxiliary screw steamer and registered in the name of a new company, the Australian Screw Steamship Co. Given a 200hp engine with a two bladed propeller, but retaining her full ship rig. Accommodation was provided in three classes for approx.320 passengers. Completed towards the end of 1855, she left Liverpool for Melbourne on 18th Jan.1856 under the re-named company Liverpool & Australian Navigation Co. However, she only reached the Portuguese coast and had to turn back to Plymouth as she was over ballasted. It was found that her hull was badly strained, necessitating extensive rivetting before she was declared sea worthy and continued her maiden voyage. An advertisement for a subsequent voyage read - "This noble steam clipper built expressly for the company, one of the finest models yet constructed combines all the advantages of a steamer with those of a clipper sailing ship, and offers the only opportunity yet presented to the public of certainty in the time required for the voyage. She has just made the extraordinary passage of 59 days to Melbourne - a performance never before accomplished. On this voyage she ran one day 358 miles, during which she attained the astonishing speed of 18 (sic) knots. Her daily average for the whole distance to Melbourne was 224 miles or 10.5 knots. Her accommodations for all classes of passengers are unrivalled."

Fares ranged from 16 to 75 guineas. Until 1858 she continued the Liverpool - Melbourne service taking an average of 62 days for the passage. However, the gold rush was then over and trade declined. The company entered into an agreement with James Baines & Co whereby their fleet was operated jointly with the Black Ball Line of Packets.

On 26th Oct.1859, when nearing Liverpool on her sixth homeward voyage, she was wrecked off the coast of Anglesey. Having left Melbourne on 26th Aug. with 324 passengers and a quantity of gold, when she ran into severe weather near the Anglesey coast. As her machinery was too weak to keep her off a lee shore, she anchored off Point Lynas to await daybreak. At the height of the storm her cables parted and she drifted onto a rocky ledge below the cliffs near Moelfre, some 40 yards from the shore. She broke up in the heavy seas and over 400 lives were lost.

ROYAL EDWARD / CAIRO 1907
The ROYAL EDWARD was a 11,117 gross ton ship, length 526.1ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, three screws, speed 19 knots, accommodation for 344-1st, 210-2nd and 560-3rd class passengers. Built by Fairfield & Co, Glasgow, she was launched in Jul.1907 as the CAIRO for the short lived, British owned Egyptian Mail Line. Sold to the Canadian Northern S.S.Co in 1910, she was renamed ROYAL EDWARD and from May 1910 to Sep.1914 was used on the Avonmouth - Quebec / Montreal route in summer and Halifax in winter. Taken over as a troopship in 1914, she was torpedoed and sunk in the Aegean Sea on 13th Aug.1915 while 6 miles west from Kandeliusa at position 36.31N 25.51E by the German Submarine UB.14. She had been sailing from Avonmouth and Alexandria to Mudros with a cargo of government stores. There were 132 lives lost including the Master. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1433] [British Merchant Vessels sunk by U-Boats in the 1914-1918 War by A. J. Tennent]

ROYAL GEORGE / HELIOPOLIS 1907
The ROYAL GEORGE was an 11,146 gross ton ship, built by Fairfield Co Ltd, Glasgow in 1907 as the HELIOPOLIS for the British owned Egyptian Mail Co. Her details were - length 525.8ft x beam 60.2ft, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a service speed of 19 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 344-1st, 210-2nd and 560-3rd class.  Launched on 28th May 1907 she was used on the Marseilles - Alexandria service, but was found to be unprofitable and was laid up in Marseilles in 1909 and offered for sale. In 1910 she was purchased by Canadian Northern Steamships of Toronto and renamed ROYAL GEORGE. Refitted for North Atlantic service, she commenced Avonmouth - Quebec - Montreal sailings on 26th May 1910. On 6th Nov.1912 she stranded near Quebec, was refloated and sailed for Halifax for further repairs on 12th Dec. and then proceeded to Liverpool. She resumed Avonmouth - Quebec - Montreal voyages on 17th Jun.1913. On 3rd Oct.1914 she sailed from Gaspe Bay for Plymouth with part of the Canadian Expeditionary Force and was then taken over as a British troopship. The fleet was purchased by Cunard SS Co in 1916, but the ROYAL GEORGE continued trooping for the rest of the war. She resumed passenger voyages on 10th Feb.1919 when she started the first of five Liverpool - Halifax - New York sailings and started her first Southampton - Halifax - New York voyage on 15th Aug.1919. Her ninth and last voyage on this service commenced 10th Jun.1920 and she was then used as an emigrant depot ship at Cherbourg. In 1922 she was scrapped at Wilmhelmshaven.  [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1433] There is an excellent article written by Capt.F.J.Thompson who commanded the "Royal George" from 1911 and through part of the Great War, including the Gallipoli landings; in Sea Breezes magazine, Oct.- Nov.1960 (vol.30, Nos. 178-179). It describes the day to day life of the ship, both as a passenger vessel and as a troopship.

ROYAL TAR 1832
The ROYAL TAR was a 308 burthen ton ship, built by John Duffus, Aberdeen in 1832. Her details were - length 50.29m (165ft) x beam 8.43m (27.7ft) x depth 1.98m (6.5ft), one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), clipper stem, side paddle propulsion and wooden hulled. She had a speed of 8 knots. After being chartered to Spain, she was transferred to P&O ownership in 1840 and continued on the Southampton - Peninsular - Gibraltar run. In 1847 she was sold to the Portuguese government and was used as a troopship. I have no further info on this vessel. "Royal Tar" was the nickname of King William IV who had served in the Royal Navy.

RUAHINE 1891
6,127 gross tons, length 430ft x beam 50.1ft, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 14 knots, accommodation for 74-1st, 36-2nd and 250-emigrant class passengers.
Launched 20th Oct.1891 by Wm. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, she started her maiden voyage from London on 14th Jan.1892 and was intended to be the forerunner of a class of five passenger ships. However, a severe recession led to the postponement of further ships of this type. The owners at this time were recorded as Allport & Hughes and she made a passage time London to Australia (Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney) in 29 days. On 23rd Jun.1892 she started her first passage for the New Zealand Shipping Co. from London to Capetown, Auckland and Wellington. Last voyage on this route started 7th Dec.1899 and in May 1900 she was sold to Compagnia Trasatlantica, Bilbao, Spain and renamed ANTONIO LOPEZ. Used on the Genoa - Naples - Barcelona - Malaga - Cadiz - New York - Havana - Vera Cruz route, she went ashore at Fire Island, New York but was salvaged. 1936 Laid up at Cadiz. 1942 Scrapped at Cadiz. [Merchant Fleets, vol.7 by Duncan Haws] [North Star to Southern Cross by J. Maber]

RUAPEHU / ZAYATHLA / GWALIOR 1883
RUAPEHU 4,262 g.t. 389ft x 46ft, clipper stem, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, 12 knots, accommodation for 80-1st, 80-2nd and 250-3rd class. Built J. Elder & Co, Glasgow. Launched 19/11/1883 for New Zealand Shipping Co - sailed London - NZ. Chartered to Beaver Line and commenced the first of 2 Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal sailings on 15/4/1899. Started 2nd and last voyage of the line on 20/5/1899. Sold to British India Steam Nav. Co 1900, renamed ZAYATHLA. Converted to hospital ship and renamed GWALIOR 1901. Returned to BISN Co 1903. Scrapped in Italy 1911.

RUAPEHU / AUSTRALASIAN 1901
The RUAPEHU and her sister ship RIMUTAKA were both built by Wm Denny, Dumbarton for the New Zealand Shipping Co. The RUAPEHU was a 7,705 gross ton ship, launched in 1901, twin screw with a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 40-1st, 50-2nd and 250-3rd class passengers. (Approx.170 of the 3rd class passengers were berthed in temporary quarters in the cargo 'tween decks.) Although advertised to make her maiden New Zealand voyage in 1901, she did not enter her owners service until December of that year, having first been chartered by the Allan Line for their Canadian trade under the temporary name of AUSTRALASIAN. She commenced her first sailing for NZSCo. on 5/12/1901 when she left London for Capetown, Auckland and Wellington. She continued on this route until 1921 when she commenced London - Panama - Auckland - Wellington sailings. She commenced her final voyage on 20/12/1930 and was scrapped in Italy the following year. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

RUGIA / PATRIA 1882
The RUGIA was built in 1882 by A.G.Vulcan, Stettin for the Hamburg America Line and was the first ocean going passenger vessel built in Germany. She was a 3,467 gross ton ship, length 351.7ft x beam 42.9ft, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sails), single screw and a speed of 12 knots. There was accommodation for 96-1st and 1,100-2nd class passengers. Launched on 29th Jul.1882, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Hamburg to Havre and New York on 22nd Nov.1882. She commenced her last voyage on this route on 29th Jul.1894 and was transferred to the Naples - New York service on 8th Sep.1894. Her second and last voyage on this run commenced 27th Oct.1894 and she was then taken in part payment by Harland & Wolff Shipbuilders for the PENNSYLVANIA. The RUGIA was sold to the Fabre Line of France and renamed PATRIA. She was rebuilt to 4,053 tons and on 28th Nov.1895 commenced sailings from Marseilles to Naples and New York. On 17th Feb.1903 she commenced sailing under the Italian flag on the same route and commenced her last voyage on 23rd Apr.1905 when she left Marseilles for New York. In Dec.1905 she was sold and scrapped the following year at Marseilles. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.393]

RUNIC / NEW SEVILLA 1900
Built in 1900 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for White Star Line's Australia service. She was a 12,482 gross ton ship, length 565ft x beam 63.3ft (172.2m x 19.3m), one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 400-cabin class. Launched on 25th Oct.1900, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Cape Town, Albany, Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney on 3rd Jan.1901. She continued on the London - Australia service until starting her last voyage to Brisbane on 26th Sep.1929. Sold to Christian Salveson of Leith in May 1930, she was converted to a whale factory ship at Kiel and renamed NEW SEVILLA. On Sep.20th 1940 she was torpedoed and sunk west of Islay, Scotland by the German submarine U.138 with the loss of two lives.[Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1] [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber]

RUSSIA / WAESLAND 1867
The WAESLAND was a 4,752 gross ton ship, built by J&G.Thomson, Glasgow in 1867. Her details were - length 435.1ft x beam 41.9ft, clipper stem, one funnel, four masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st and 1,500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 20/3/1867 as the RUSSIA for the Cunard Line, she was purchased by the Red Star Line of Antwerp in 1880, lengthened from 358ft to 435.1ft, fitted with compound engines by the builders, and renamed WAESLAND. On 6/12/1880 she commenced her first voyage for these owners, when she sailed from Antwerp for New York. In 1889 she was fitted with triple-expansion engines by the builders and on 17/8/1895 started her last Antwerp - New York voyage. On 11/9/1895 she started Philadelphia - Liverpool crossings under charter to the American Line, with accommodation for 120-2nd and 1,500-3rd class passengers. She was sunk in collision with the British ship HARMONIDES off Anglesey on 5th March 1902; with the loss of 2 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.852]

RUSSIA / SANTA BARBARA / ODESSA 1889
The RUSSIA was a 3,908 gross ton ship, length 374ft x beam 44.3ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 14 knots. Accommodation for 30-1st and 1,400-3rd class passengers. Built by Laird Bros, Liverpool, she was launched for Hamburg America Line on 28th Aug.1889 and left Hamburg on 3rd Dec.1889 on her maiden voyage to Havre and New York. Her last voyage on this route started 31st Mar.1895 and she was then sold to Cia Trasatlantica, Barcelona and renamed SANTA BARBARA. Used on their Bilbao - New York service until 1896 when she was returned to Hamburg America Line and reverted to RUSSIA. She made one Hamburg - New York voyage in Aug.1896 and one Genoa - Naples - New York sailing in Mar.1898. Chartered to the American Line in Jan.1899, she made two Liverpool - Philadelphia voyages and was then sold to Russia and renamed ODESSA. Scrapped at Marseilles in 1927.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.396]

RUSSIA / ROSSIJA / RUSS / LATVIA / FUSO MARU / HUSO MARU RUSSIA 1908
8,596 gross tons, length 475ft x beam 57.7ft, two funnels, four masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 40-1st, 56-2nd, 212-3rd and 1,414-4th class passengers. Built by Barclay, Curle & Co, Glasgow, she was launched on 19th Mar.1908 for the Russian American Line. Her first voyage from Libau to New York started on 2nd Jun.1908 and her last on 26th Jun.1914. She was then laid up at Kronstadt until 1917 when she was renamed ROSSIJA and later RUSS. In 1921 she transferred to the Baltic American Line, was renamed LATVIA and started her first Libau - Danzig - Halifax - New York sailing on 11th Jul.1921. Her ninth and last transatlantic voyage started 7th Feb.1923 and she was then sold to Osaka Shosen Kaisha, Japan and renamed FUSO MARU. Two of her masts were removed at this stage. In 1938 her name was respelt HUSO MARU and on 31st Jul.1944 she was torpedoed and sunk by the US submarine STEELHEAD off Luzon, Philippines. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3, p.1355 by N.R.P.Bonsor, ISBN 0-905824-02-4 (contains a photo of the ship)]

RYNDAM 1901
The RYNDAM was a 12,340 gross ton ship, length 550.3ft x beam 62.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 286-1st, 196-2nd and 1,800-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for Holland America Line on 18th May 1901. Her maiden voyage started on 10th Oct.1901 when she left Rotterdam for New York. On 18th Jan.1916 she was damaged by a mine in the North Sea but was repaired and resumed Rotterdam - New York sailings on 15th Apr.1916. Requisitioned by the US Government for transport service on 21st Mar.1918, she was released at Rotterdam in Oct.1919. On 31st Jul.1920 she resumed Rotterdam - New York sailings, was refitted to carry cabin and 3rd class passengers in May 1925, and cabin, tourist and 3rd class in May 1926. Her last Rotterdam - New York voyage started on 16th Apr.1929 and she was scrapped at Hendrik Ibo Ambacht in 1929. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.913]

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: June 06, 2008 and maintained by and M. Kohli