FIRST NAME

LAST NAME

LOCALITY

   
TheShipsList Home Page Search the Passenger Lists Search Ship Company Fleet Lists Ship Descriptions and Voyage Histories  
Find Pictures of Ships, Ports, Immigration Stations
Find Diagrams & Photographs Ships' RiggingSearch Ship Arrivals from Newspapers &c
             
 
Search Marriages at Sea, British Ships
Search Numerous Files for Famine Emigrants, 1847Find Reports & Lists of Ship Wrecks Search 1862 Lists & Shipping Information Search Immigration & Ship Related Off-site Links              
Diaries & Journals | Immigration Reports | Illustrated London News | Trivia | Frequently Asked Questions
 

SHIP DESCRIPTIONS - M

M Descriptions MAA to ME | MI to MU

Please note that ships often changed hands and names many times. If an entry is just the name of the vessel followed by a "see..." then that vessel was renamed and you will find the full history under the redirected name.

MAAS 1872 / MAASDAM 1883
This was a 1,705 gross ton ship, length 255.3ft x beam 35.1ft, straight stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 8-1st and 288-3rd class passengers. Built by Henderson, Coulborn & Co, Glasgow for the Dutch company, Plate, Reuchlin & Co, she was launched on 19/8/1872. She left Rotterdam on her maiden voyage to Halifax (for coal) and New York on 20/11/1872. In April 1873, Plate, Reuchlin ceased operations due to lack of capital and she went, with the rest of their assets, to the newly formed Holland America Line. On 1/6/1873 she commenced her first voyage for her new owners, from Rotterdam to New York, and her last voyage started on 8/4/1883. Later the same year she was renamed MAASDAM and on 25/8/1883 resumed Rotterdam - New York sailings. On 24/10/1884 she was destroyed by fire at sea with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.909]

MAASDAM see REPUBLIC / VITTORIA / CITTA DI NAPOLI 1871

MAASDAM / STEFAN BATORY 1952
15,024 gross tons, length 475.8ft x beam 69.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 39-1st and 842-tourist class passengers. Launched on 5th Apr.1952 by Wilton-Fijenoord, Schiedam as the MAASDAM for Holland America Line, she started her maiden voyage on 11th Aug.1952 from Rotterdam to Havre, Southampton, Montreal and New York. 20th Sep.1952 first voyage Rotterdam - Havre - Southampton - New York. 15th Feb.1963 collided with wreckage off Weser Lightship when approaching Bremen and towed there for repairs. 16th Apr.1963 first voyage Bremen - Rotterdam - Southampton - Galway - New York. 17th Apr.1964 first voyage Bremen - Rotterdam - Havre - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal (1 voyage). 17th Sep.1966 one ditto in place of RYNDAM. 12th Oct.1966 first voyage Rotterdam - Havre - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal. 20th Sep.1968 last voyage Montreal - Quebec - Southampton - Havre - Rotterdam. 1969 sold to Gdynia America Line, renamed STEFAN BATORY. 11th Apr.1969 first voyage Gduynia - Copenhagen - London - Quebec - Montreal - Southampton - Copenhagen - Gdynia. 1976 converted to carry 779 one class passengers. 7th Oct.1987 last voyage Montreal - Gdynia.. 1988 sold to Hellenic Polish Shipping & Trading Enterprises, Athens, registered under Panamanian flag, laid up at Flushing and then at Piraeus. 1989 sold to Stena A/B, Stockholm. 1990 renamed STEFAN, registered in the Bahamas and chartered by Swedish immigration authorities as an accommodation ship. 2000 still laid up at Piraeus.

MACEDONIA / IOWA 1863
Built as the IOWA by Malcolmson Bros, Waterford in 1863 for the London & New York Steamship Line. She was a 1,988 gross ton ship, length 315ft x beam 34ft, clipper stem, one funnel, four masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 80-cabin and 540-3rd class passengers. Launched on 28th Nov.1863, she sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Havre and New York on 17th Jul.1864. On 6th Dec.1864 she stranded at Ormonville, near Cherbourg due to a compass fault. After refloating, she sank in shallow water and remained there for six months, until salvaged and sold. In March 1866 she was purchased by the Anchor Line and commenced Glasgow - New York sailings on 1st Jul.1866. Her last voyage on this service started on 19th Nov.1873 and she was renamed MACEDONIA on 30th Dec.1873. She resumed Glasgow - New York voyages the following day, and in 1874 was rebuilt to 2,273 tons, re-engined and then sailed from Glasgow for Alexandria, Naples, New York and Glasgow. After this voyage she was used on the Glasgow - Liverpool - Bombay service for 17 voyages before resuming Glasgow - Naples (dep.16.2.1881) - New York - Glasgow for one round voyage. On 21st Apr.1881 she resumed Glasgow - New York sailings and on 30th May 1881 was wrecked on the Mull of Kintyre with no loss of life. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.452] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.9, Anchor Line]

MADONNA 1905
The MADONNA was built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend on Tyne in 1905 for the Fabre Line of Marseilles. She was a 5,537 gross ton ship, length 430.9ft x beam 48ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 54-1st and 1,650-3rd class passengers. Launched on 23/1/1905, she sailed from Marseilles on her maiden voyage to Naples and New York on 29/4/1905. She sailed under the British flag until 17/6/1906 when she left Marseilles under the French flag bound for Naples and New York. In 1912, accommodation for 60-2nd class passengers was added. On 30/5/1919 she commenced her first voyage after the Armistice, from Marseilles to Oran and New York with cabin and 3rd class passengers. On 10/3/1925 commenced her last transatlantic voyage between Constantinople, Piraeus, Leghorn, New York and Marseilles, and from 1927 onwards was used on the West Africa service. She was scrapped in Italy in May 1934. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1134]

MAGALLANES 1927
The MAGALLANES was a 9,689 gross ton ship, length 483ft x beam 56ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. Accommodation for 155-1st, 82-2nd and 350-3rd class passengers. Built by Sociedad Espanola de Construccion Naval, Cadiz, she was launched for Compania Trasatlantica Espanola on 1st May 1927. Her maiden voyage started on 3rd Oct.1928 when she left Barcelona for Cadiz, Havana and New York. In July 1936 she commenced her last voyage from Barcelona to Cadiz, New York, Vera Cruz and Havana and in June 1937 collided with and sank an Italian steamer in the Dardanelles. She was subsequently arrested in Istanbul. She restarted North Atlantic sailings on 15th Jun.1940 when she sailed Bilbao - Vigo - Lisbon - Havana - New York, and in 1941 her funnels were reduced to one. Her last crossing from New York to Coruna and Bilbao started on 19th Jun.1953 and in 1954 she was laid up at Bilbao. Sold on 6th Sep.1957 and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1258/9]

MAGDALENA 1889
The MAGDALENA was a 5362 gross ton ship, length 421ft x beam 50ft, two funnels, three masts, single screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 170-1st, 40-2nd and 330-3rd class passengers. Built by Robert Napier & Sons, Glasgow for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Co, she made her maiden voyage on 2nd Aug.1889 to the Royal Naval Review at Spithead called by Queen Victoria in honour of her nephew Kaiser Wilhelm II. Chartered by the Mayor and Corporation of London, she was the only merchant ship in the procession of ships. Subsequently used on the UK - West Indies service. In 1910 she went ashore for four days at Cartagena, Colombia and in 1915 was taken over by the Admiralty and served on the West Indies station as a troopship. Scrapped in 1921. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.5, Royal Mail Line] [Great Steamers, White and Gold by R.Baker and A.Leonard]

MAID OF ORLEANS 1918
2384 gross tons, 340ft x 42ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 23 knots, capacity for 130-1st and 1,200-deck passengers. Ordered 1914 as a cross channel ferry for the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Co, she was converted to trooping and launched on 4th Mar.1918. Her maiden voyage was Aug.16th with troops from Southampton to Havre and in 1919 she reverted to SE & CR ownership and was reconditioned and used on the Dover / Folkestone - Calais service. 1923 transferred to Southern Railway ownership and in May 1924 carried the King and Queen of Roumania on the state visit to Britain. In 1939 she returned to trooping work out of Southampton and then became a B.E.F. leave ship between Dover and Boulogne. Apr.1940 evacuated Dutch from Rotterdam. May 1940 used in evacuation from Dunkirk and brought out over 5,000 men in 6 voyages, then carried Belgian refugees from Cherbourg to Weymouth. 1942 converted to a Landing Ship (Infantry). 8th June 1944 took part in Normandy D-Day+2 operations. 28th June 1944 in convoy FXP18 en route Normandy - Southampton she was torpedoed by U.998 in the English Channel and sank in 30 minutes with the loss of 5 lives. The U.998 was depth charged and sunk off Guernsey the next day. [Merchant Fleets, vol.24 by Duncan Haws]

MAIN 1868
The first MAIN was a 3,087 gross ton ship, built by Caird & Co, Greenock in 1868 for Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd] of Bremen. Her details were - length 332ft x beam 40ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was passenger accommodation for 70-1st, 100-2nd and 600-3rd class. Launched on 22/8/1868, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Southampton and New York on 28/11/1868. In 1878 her engines were compounded by the builders and on 6/3/1890 she commenced her last Bremen - New York voyage. On 6/3/1890 she started her final Bremen - Baltimore crossing and the following year was sold to British owners. She was destroyed by fire at Fayal, Azores on 23/3/1892. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2, p.546]

MAIN 1906
The MAIN of 1906 was the second vessel of that name owned by Norddeutscher Lloyd [North German Lloyd]. She was built in 1900 by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg and was a 10,200 gross ton ship, length 501ft x beam 58.1ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 148-1st, 116-2nd and 2,500-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10/2/1900, she sailed from Bremen on her maiden voyage to Cherbourg and New York on 28/4/1900. On 30/6/1900, she sank after being involved in a New York dock fire and on 27/7/1900 was refloated and subsequently reconditioned at Newport News, her accommodation then being 369-2nd, 217-3rd, and 2,865-4th class passengers. On 21/8/1902 she commenced her first voyage from Bremen to New York and Baltimore and subsequently sailed between Bremen and New York and/or Baltimore. In June 1914 she made her last sailing from Bremen to Baltimore and between 1914 - 1918 was laid up at Antwerp. In 1919 she was allocated to Britain under the War Reparations scheme and in 1921 went to the French government. She was scrapped in 1925. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.562]

MAINZ 1897 / LYDIE
The MAINZ was a 3,204 gross ton ship, length 306.3ft x beam 42ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 20-2nd and 793-3rd class pasengers. Built by J.C.Tecklenborg, Geestemunde, she was launched on 15th May 1897 for North German Lloyd, Bremen. In May 1897 she made her maiden voyage between Bremen, Rio de Janeiro and Santos and spent most of her life on the South America service. However, in Aug. and Sep.1900 she made two Bremen - Baltimore voyages and on 10th Nov.1900 started a single round voyage between Bremen and New York. Sold to Belgian owners in 1912, she was renamed LYDIE, and in March 1928 was scrapped in Holland.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.563]

MAJESTIC 1890
9,965 gross tons, length 582ft x beam 57.8ft, two funnels, three masts, twin screw, speed 20 knots, accommodation for 300-1st, 190-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched on 29th June 1889 and delivered to White Star Line on 22nd Mar.1890. Her maiden voyage started 2nd Apr.1890 when she left Liverpool for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. In July 1891 she made a record wesbound voyage of 5 days 18 hours at an average speed of 20.1 knots. In 1899 she became a Boer War transport and in 1902-3 was refitted at Belfast and her masts reduced to two. Terminal transferred to Southampton in 1907 and in 1911 she became a reserve vessel. 1912 returned to service after the loss of the TITANIC and was scrapped at Morecambe in 1914. [Merchant Fleets, vol.2 by Duncan Haws]

MAJESTIC (2) / BISMARK 1914 / CALEDONIA
This was a 56,551 gross ton ship, overall length 955.8ft x beam 100.1ft, three funnels, two masts, four screws and a speed of 23 knots. There was accommodation for 700-1st, 545-2nd and 850-3rd class passengers. Built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg as the BISMARCK for Hamburg America Line, she was launched on 20th Jun.1914. The Great War delayed her completion and she was handed over to the British Government in 1919. Purchased jointly by White Star Line and Cunard, she was completed at Hamburg in March 1922 and sailed on her maiden voyage on 10th May 1922 from Southampton for Cherbourg and New York as the MAJESTIC. In June 1926 her accommodation was refitted as 1st, 2nd, tourist and 3rd class, and again in Oct.1931 to 1st, tourist and 3rd class. On the merger of Cunard and White Star Lines in 1934 she came under the ownership of the newly formed Cunard-White Star Line. Her last Southampton - Cherbourg - New York - Cherbourg - Southampton voyage commenced on 13th Feb.1936 and she was then laid up at Southampton. Sold for scrapping in May 1936, she was resold to the British Admiralty and converted into the boys' training ship CALEDONIA. On 8th Apr.1937 she sailed from Southampton for Rosyth and on 29th Sep.1939 was gutted by fire at Rosyth and sank. Sold to T.W.Ward in 1940 for scrapping, she was raised in 1943 and scrapped at Inverkeithing.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.768]

MAKARINI / PORT NICHOLSON 1912
10,624 gross tons, length 508ft x beam 61.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots. Accommodation for 750-steerage class passengers. Built by Workman, Clark & Co, Belfast, she was launched on 3rd Feb.1912 for G.D.Tyser & Co., London. Used on the London, via The Cape to Melbourne and Sydney service. In 1914 Tyser's was taken over by the Commonwealth & Dominion Line (Port Line) and the MAKARINI was renamed PORT NICHOLSON. On 15th Jan.1917 she was mined and sunk 15 miles West of Dunkirk. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1, ISBN 0-85059-174-0, which contains a photo of the ship] [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.21, Port Line]

MALOJA 1911
12,431 gross tons, length 550.4ft x beam 62.8ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 450-1st and 220-2nd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for P & O Line on 17th Dec.1910. Her maiden voyage in 1911 was a Western Islands cruise and she next carried guests to the Delhi Durbar. On 9th Feb.1912 she was placed on the London - Colombo - Melbourne - Sydney service. 26th Feb.1916 she left Tilbury with 121 passengers, and struck a mine off Dover the following day. The engines were put astern, but could not then be stopped and she sank while still moving astern with the loss of 122 passengers and crew. The Canadian EMPRESS OF FORT WILLIAM which was standing by her, was also mined. The wreck of MALOJA was blown up in 1964. [Merchant Fleets vol.1 by Duncan Haws] [P & O, A Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue]

MALOJA 1924
20,837 g.t., length 600.7ft x beam 73.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots. Accommodation for 327-1st, 329-2nd class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for P & O Line on 19th Apr.1923 and started her maiden voyage from London to Colombo, Sydney and Melbourne on 18th Jan.1924. Re-engined in 1930 and in 1939 was converted to an Armed Merchant Cruiser. She became a troopship in 1941 and resumed commercial service in June 1948 having been refitted to carry 1,030 single class passengers. 1954 scrapped at Inverkeithing. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.1, P&O Line]

MALOLO / MATSONIA / ATLANTIC / VASILISSA FRIEDERIKI  1926
Built by W.Cramp & Sons, Philadelphia in 1926 as the MALOLO for the American Matson Line. She was a 17,232 gross ton ship, length overall 582ft x beam 83.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 22 knots. There was accommodation for 693-1st class passengers. Launched on 26/6/1926, she was struck by the Norwegian freighter JACOB CHRISTENSEN while on trials near the Nantucket Lightship, was extensively damaged and repaired at New York. She made her first voyage from San Francisco to Honolulu in November 1927. In 1937 she was renamed MATSONIA and continued in the same service until 1941 when she was converted to a troopship. In April 1946 she was returned to Matson Line and on 22/5/1946 resumed the SF - Honolulu service until April 1948 when she was laid up at Alameda, Calif. The same year, she was sold to the Panamanian Home Line and renamed ATLANTIC. Refitted in 1949 by Ansaldo, Genoa to 15,602 tons and to carry 283-1st, 224-cabin and 735-tourist class passengers, she commenced her first voyage from Genoa to Naples, Barcelona and New York on 14/5/1949. She started her last crossing on 21/11/1951 when she left Alexandria for Haifa, Beirut, Naples, Genoa, Cannes, Barcelona, Halifax and New York. In 1952 she was altered to carry 174-1st and 1,005-tourist class passengers with a tonnage of 20,553 tons. In February 1952 she started her first Genoa - Halifax - Southampton voyage and then transferred to Southampton - Havre - Halifax crossings. She made three round voyages on this route and then started Southampton - Havre - Quebec voyages on 21/4/1952. Her last voyage on this service was in November 1954 and on 18/11/1954 she sailed from New York for Halifax, Naples and Genoa. She made one more Genoa - Naples - Halifax - New York crossing and in January 1955 was sold to the Greek National Hellenic American Line. Renamed VASILISSA FRIEDERIKI (Queen Frederica) and refitted to accommodate 190-1st, 250-cabin and 800-tourist class passengers, she sailed on her first voyage from Piraeus to Naples, Palermo, Halifax and New York on 29/1/1955. In January 1956 she was altered to carry 1st and tourist class only, and to 21,239 tons. On 1/11/1965 she started her last New York - Naples - Piraeus voyage and then went to Chandris Lines of Greece. She sailed from Piraeus for Messina, Palermo, Naples, Halifax and New York in March 1966 and on 12/10/1967 started her last voyage on this service. On 24/10/1967 she sailed from New York for Havre and Southampton and on 16/11/1967 commenced a single round voyage from Rotterdam to Southampton, Cape Town, Australia and New Zealand. She was subsequently used for Mediterranean cruises by Sovereign Cruises and in 1971 was laid up in the River Dart, Devon. In June 1972 she sailed to Piraeus and was again laid up. Used in 1973 for Mediterranean cruises, she was laid up at Piraeus in November of that year and in 1977 was scrapped at Elefsis, Greece. In February 1978 she was gutted by fire at the breaker's yard. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1697-8]

MALOU / VIRGINIE 1903
5,330 gross tons, 385.2ft x 49.2ft, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodation for 50-2nd and 300-3rd class passengers. Built 1903 by Forges & Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne for Eug. Salles, Marseilles. 1906 owners became Cie. Francaise de Nav. Gen., Marseilles. 1907 sold to Cie. Generale Transatlantique (French Line) renamed VIRGINIE. Sailed Havre - New York and June 1914 made one Havre - Quebec - Montreal voyage. Jan.1917 last voyage Bordeaux - NY. 1934 scrapped Holland. [Register of Merchant Ships Completed in 1903 by Starke / Schell]

MALTA 1848
1218 gross tons, length 206ft x beam 33ft, clipper bows, two funnels, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, side paddle wheel propulsion, speed 10 knots. Built 1848 by Caird & Co, Greenock and placed on the Bombay - Far East service. 1858 converted to screw driven and lengthened to 286ft x beam 39ft. April 1859 opened the Suez - Sydney service via Mauritius. 1878 sold to J.McBryde, 1882 scrapped.

MALTA 1865
2,132 gross tons, length 303.1ft x beam 39.3ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. Accommodation for 40-st and 535-3rd class passengers. Built by J.& G.Thomson, Glasgow, she was launched for the Cunard Steamship Co on 19th Oct.1865. Her maiden voyage started on 20th Feb.1866 when she left Liverpool for New York and on 25th May 1871 she started her first Liverpool - Queenstown (Cobh) - Boston sailing. Her last voyage on this service started on 17th Apr.1873 and she then transferred to the Liverpool - Mediterranean route. Fitted with new engines in 1879, she resumed Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston sailings on 6th Jul.1881 and commenced her last voyage on this route on 30th Aug.1882. Subsequently used on Liverpool - Mediterranean services until 15th Oct.1889 when she was wrecked near Lands End.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.149]

MALVERNIAN 1937
was built by Wm.Gray & Co, West Hartlepool in 1937 for Ellerman & Papayanni Line. Her details were - 3,133 gross tons, length 345.6ft x beam 50.1ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots. Used on UK - Mediterranean services until 1940 when she was requisitioned by the government and became HMS MALVERNIAN. On 19th Jul.1941 she was bombed by German aircraft, set on fire and sunk off the coast of Spain. On 21st July, 32 crew reached Corunna and 25 landed at Vigo the following day. The remaining 107 were captured by German minesweepers when nearing land. [Merchant Fleets, vol.16 by Duncan Haws]

MALWA / YAMATO MARU 1873
Official No.68380, 2.933 gross tons, length 361.5ft x beam 39ft, iron hull, one funnel, three masts, single screw, speed 10.5 knots, accommodation for 143-1st and 42-2nd class passengers. Launched on 19th Oct.1872 by Caird & Co, Greenock for Peninsular & Oriental S.N.Co, she started her maiden voyage from London to Calcutta on 12th Feb.1873. In April 1874 she brought the body of the explorer David Livingstone back to Southampton. In 1875 she transferred to the Venice - Bombay - Sydney service and in 1879 was fitted with new boilers. On 25th Nov.1882 she collided wiith Clan Line's CLAN FORBES at Suez and had to be beached. Later salvaged, repaired and returned to service. 10th Oct.1894 sold to Seiko Kisen Kabushiki Kaisha, Japan and renamed YAMATO MARU. 1899 sold to Settsu Kogio K.K., Japan. 1900 condemned and scrapped at Kobe. [P & O Fleet History by S. Rabson & K. O'Donoghue] [Merchant Fleets, vol.1 by Duncan Haws]

MALWA 1908
The MALWA was built in 1908 by Caird & Co, Greenock for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co (P&O Line). She was a 10,883 gross ton ship, length 562ft x beam 61.2ft x depth 24.6ft, two funnels, two masts and twin screw. There was passenger accommodation for 407-1st class and 200-2nd class. Launched on October 10th 1908, she sailed from Tilbury on her maiden voyage for Columbo, Melbourne and Sydney on January 29th 1909. In 1910 she was in collision with the British steamer NAIRN off Columbo, and in 1917 was requisitioned for use as a troopship. She resumed the Australia service on September 24th 1920 and continued on this route until December 16th 1932 when she was sold for breaking up in Japan. [Merchant Fleets, vol.1, P&O, Orient & Blue Anchor Lines by Duncan Haws]

MAMARI / GEROLSTEIN / CONSUL HORN 1904
7,062 gross tons, length 455.4ft x beam 56.4ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 12-1st and 1,000-steerage class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Shaw, Savill & Albion Line, she started her first voyage London - Capetown - Wellington on 15th Dec.1904. The return voyages were via South America. In 1927 she collided with an iceberg off Cape Horn and was repaired at Port Stanley, Falkland Islands. 1928 sold to Arnold Bernstein, Germany, converted to a cargo ship and renamed GEROLSTEIN. In 1933 she was again fitted to carry passengers and used on the Antwerp - New York service. 1938 transferred to Red Star Line ownership. 1939 sold to H. C. Horn, Hamburg renamed CONSUL HORN, June 1942 mined and sunk off Borkum.[Merchant Fleets vol.10 by D. Haws] [North Star to Southern Cross by J. Maber]

MANAPOURI 1881
9th Nov.1881 launched by Denny & Bros, Dumbarton. Due to pressure of work some of the fitting out work at the yard was undertaken by Robert Napier & Son. She carried out her sea trials in 1882 before delivery to her owners, Union Line of New Zealand and left the Clyde for NZ on 31st Mar.1882. Built with accommodation for 136-1st & 117-2nd class pasengers. 1898 engine compounded at Port Chalmers, passenger accommodation reduced to 133 and placed on the South Pacific service to Tonga and Samoa. Mar.1909 monthly service Wellington - Tahiti. 1910 Cargo only service with Australasian United S.N. Co. Australia - Fiji. Oct.1913 laid up at Port Chalmers. 1915 Sold to Moller & Co., Shanghai renamed LINDSAY MOLLER. 1923 sold to Cheong On SS Co., Shanghai renamed FOOK HONG. 1926 Owned by Chin Sen Hong, Canton. (Canton - Shanghai coastal service) 1927 Sold to Shun Cheong SS Co, Hong Kong (managed by K. T. Chung, Haiphong). 1931 Transferred to French registry, owned by Kwang Chow Wan, 1935 renamed TAI POO SEK. 1942 Taken over by French Vichy Government. 12th Jan.1945 sunk by U.S. air attack in Mekong River. [Sold East by Dick & Kentwell] [Merchant Fleets, vol.32 by Duncan Haws]

MANCHESTER CITY 1898
Manchester Liners (Furness Withy & Co.), 7,696 gross tons, refrigerated cargo space for meat cargoes. Sailed Manchester - Canada/US. Built in 1898, scrapped June 1929 by Stavanger Shipbreaking Co, Norway.[Sea Breezes Magazine, July 1958]

MANCHESTER IMPORTER / ALEXANDRA 1899
Built 1899, 4,028 gross tons, owners - Manchester Liners (became part of Furness Lines group). Sold to Greek owners in 1927 and renamed ALEXANDRA. Scrapped at Venice in 1933.[Sea Breezes Magazine, July 1958]

MANCHESTER MILLER 1959
9,297 gross tons, 467.9ft x 62.3ft, single screw, speed 17 knots. Accommodation for 12 passengers. Had ice strengthened bows and all crew accommodation in the poop. Launched 12th Dec.1958 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for Manchester Liners Ltd. Delivered Mar.1959 and used on the Montreal service. 1968 caught fire while loading chemicals at New York. 42 fire appliances, 2 fire boats and 200 firemen attended. Holes cut in the hull to let in water and sank at her moorings with a 7 degree list. Salvaged and made seaworthy by Todd Shipyard and returned to UK. Her crew accommodation aft was not rebuilt and crew were housed in the passenger accommodation. 6th June 1970 arrived for conversion to a 366ft x 20ft TEU cellular container ship at Swan, Hunter's Smiths Dock Co, Middlesbrough. Cost 500,000 UKP. Renamed MANCHESTER QUEST and re-entered service with a red hull. 29th Jan.1976 arrived Kaoshiung for scrapping. [Merchant Fleets vol.38 by Duncan Haws]

MANCHESTER PORT 1935
5,469 gross tons, length 422.2ft x beam 56.7ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots. Built 1935 by Blythswood Shipbuilding Co., Glasgow for Manchester Liners Ltd. 1940 rebuilt to 7,071 gross tons. 1941 took war supplies to the Middle East via the Cape of Good Hope. 1942 converted to troopship with assault landing craft for Operation Torch (invasion of North Africa). She landed her troops at Apple Beach, near Algiers. Returned to normal North Atlantic service after the war until Dec.1964 when she arrived at Bilbao for scrapping. [Merchant Fleets, vol.38 by Duncan Haws]

MANCHURIA 1904
13,639 gross tons, 600ft x 65.3ft, passenger ship, one funnel, four masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots accommodation for 350-1st, 68-2nd and 1,300-3rd class passengers. Built 1904 by New York Shipbuilding Co, Camden, NJ for Pacific Mail SS Co., New York. She was used on Hong Kong - Yokohama - San Francisco services. 1916 sold to Atlantic Transport Line, 1918-1919 became US Army Transport, 1928 sold to Dollar Steamship Line, San Francisco renamed PRESIDENT JOHNSON, 1938 taken over by American President Line, 1947 sold to Portugal renamed SANTA CRUZ. 1952 scrapped.

MANCO / MORAZON / EKKIA MARU 1908
2,384 gross tons, length 300.3ft x beam 45.2ft (91.53m x 13.78m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built by Scott's Shipbuilding & Engineering Co, Greenock, she was completed for the Iquitos Steamship Co in Feb.1908. 1911 transferred to the Booth S.S.Co. 1914-1918 used as a Royal Fleet Auxiliary transport. 1921 sold to Vaccaro Brothers, Ceiba, Honduras renamed MORAZON. 1924 owned by Mexican-American Fruit & S.S.Co, Ceiba and managed by Standard Fruit & S.S.Co & Di Giorgio Fruit Corp. Later passed to American Fruit & S.S.Co, Ceiba. 1931 owned by American Fruit Corp, Ceiba. 1934 owned by Seaboard S.S.Co, Ceiba. 1941 Transferred to the Panama flag, captured by Japan at Singapore and became a war prize. Renamed EKKIA MARU (Japanese Government supply vessel). Sept.8th 1944 bombed and sunk by U.S.aircraft southwest of Manila in Colon Bay. [Merchant Fleets, vol.34 by Duncan Haws] There is an excellent photo of this ship as the MORAZON in a book "Going Bananas, 100 Years of American Fruit Ships in the Caribbean" by Mark H, Goldberg ISBN 1-879-180-01-8] Iquitos S.S.Co was absorbed with their fleet into Booth Line in 1911.

MANHATTAN / CITY OF LINCOLN / SOLIS 1866
2,869 gross tons, length 335ft x beam 42.5ft, clipper bows, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Accommodation for 72-1st and 800-3rd class passengers. Built by Palmer Bros & Co, Jarrow-on-Tyne, she was launched on 15th May 1866 for the Guion Line of Liverpool. Her maiden voyage started on 8th Aug.1866 when she sailed from Liverpool for Queenstown (Cobh) and New York. In 1874 she was rebuilt to 3,231 tons and fitted with new engines. On 20th Jan.1875 she started a single round voyage between Liverpool and Philadelphia under charter to the American Line, and on 14th Apr.1875 resumed Liverpool - Queenstown - New York voyages. Her last voyage on this service commenced on 3rd Jun.1875 and she was then sold to the Warren Line and started Liverpool - Boston sailings on 1st Jan.1876. Sold to the Thistle Line in 1881, she was renamed CITY OF LINCOLN and made three Liverpool/London - New York voyages. In 1884 she went to Spanish owners and was renamed SOLIS and the following year was sold to Cassels of Liverpool and reverted to her previous name of CITY OF LINCOLN. On 15th Aug.1902 she was wrecked near Cape Town with no loss of life.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.708]

MANHATTAN / WAKEFIELD 1930
The MANHATTAN was built by the New York Shipbuilding Corp, Camden, NJ in 1930 for the United States Line. She was a 24,289 gross ton ship, length overall 705ft x beam 86.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 20 knots.  There was accommodation for 582 cabin class, 461 tourist class and 196-3rd class passengers. Launched on 5/12/1931, she commenced her maiden voyage from New York to Cobh, Plymouth, Havre, Hamburg, Havre, Southampton, Cobh and New York on 10/8/1932. In 1933 her funnels were heightened and on 23/8/1939 she commenced her last voyage from New York - Cobh - Plymouth - Havre - Hamburg - Havre - Southampton - Cobh - New York. She made three voyages New York - Le Verdon (Bordeaux) - New York between Sept. and Nov.1939 and in 1940 transferred to the New York - Mediterranean service for 6 round voyages. She then made a single NY - Lisbon - NY voyage and, on 10/8/1940 sailed from New York via Panama to San Francisco. From 12/1/1941 to 3/2/1941 she was aground on a sandbank off West Palm Beach, Florida, was refloated and in 1941 became the US Troopship WAKEFIELD. On 3/9/1942 she was damaged by fire in the North Atlantic, abandoned but later towed to Halifax. She was reconditioned at Boston as a permanent troopship and was eventually sold in 1964 and scrapped the following year at Kearny, NJ. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1550]

MANITOBA / LOGAN / CANDLER 1892
The MANITOBA was a 5,670 gross ton ship, length 445ft x beam 49.2ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 13 knots. There was accommodation for 80-1st class passengers. Built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast, she was launched for the Atlantic Transport Line on 28th Jan.1892. Her first London - New York voyage started on 15th Apr.1892 and her last 7th Jul.1898. She then became the US Army Transport LOGAN, and in 1923 was renamed CANDLER with the intention of conversion to a school ship, but was scrapped the following year.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1088]

MANITOBAN / OTTAWA 1865
Built by Laird Bros, Birkenhead in 1865 as the "Ottawa" for the British Colonial Steamship Co of London, she was a 1,810 gross ton ship, length 287ft x beam 35.2ft (87,47m x 10,73m), clipper stem, one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 25-1st plus steerage passengers. Launched on 13th May 1865, she sailed from London on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 16th Aug.1865. After one more voyage on this route, she started a single round voyage between London and New York on 14th Dec.1865, and on 15th Sept.1866 started a single round voyage from Copenhagen to Gothenberg, Christiansand and New York. On 24th March 1867 she started her first voyage between Antwerp and New York under charter to the US/Belgian company, Hiller & Strauss. She made her third and last sailing on this service on 24th June 1867, and in 1868 was purchased by the Allan Line of Liverpool. She commenced sailing for this company on 19th May 1868 when she left Glasgow for Quebec and Montreal. Her last voyage on this service commenced 27th Sept.1871 and in 1872 she was rebuilt to 2,395 gross tons, lengthened to 338.8ft (103,25m), fitted with compound engines by the builders, and renamed "Manitoban". She resumed Glasgow - Quebec - Montreal sailings on 23rd June 1872 and on 7th June 1876 commenced a single round voyage between London, Quebec and Montreal under charter to the Temperley Line of London. On 15th March 1879 she started her first Glasgow - Boston sailing and on 21st Nov.1884 her first from Glasgow to Philadelphia. She made a sailing from Bossekop in Alta, Norway on 4th February 1898 with 538 reindeer and 78 Sami people, (herders with their familys) for New York destined for Alaska and on 3rd December 1898 commenced her final voyage between Glasgow and Boston. She was scrapped in 1899. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.312]

MANTUA 1909
The MANTUA was 10,946 gross ton ship, length 562ft x beam 61.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 400-1st and 200-2nd class passengers. Launched on 10th Feb.1909 by Caird & Co., Greenock for Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Co., she started her maiden voyage to Australia on 4th June 1909. Betrween 1913 and 1914 she was used as a cruise ship and was then fitted as an Armed Merchant Cruiser. From 1915 she was used as a troopship and in 1920 was refitted by Vickers Armstrong and returned to the Australia service with a call at Bombay. In Jul.1935 she was sold for scrapping at Shanghai.

MANUKA 1903
4,534 gross tons, twin screw, speed 15 knots, accommodation for 243-1st, 116-2nd and 60-3rd class passengers. Built 1903 by Wm. Denny, Dumbarton for Canadian Australasian Line. May 1905 first voyage Sydney - Brisbane - Honolulu - Vancouver but sailed only intermittantly on this service and used mainly on the trans Tasman trade. In 1910 the company was purchased by Union SS Co. of New Zealand and the MANUKA was employed mostly on the NZ coastal service. April 1911 first voyage Wellington - Raratonga - Tahiti - San Francisco and used occasionally on the Vancouver or San Francisco routes as required. In 1914 she became a troop transport and returned to owners after the war. 16th Dec.1929 wrecked at Long Point, New Zealand on voyage Melbourne to Wellington.

[Built for the trans Tasman 'horse-shoe' service from Wellington and Bluff to Sydney and Melbourne but transferred to the Sydney-Vancouver service in 1904.  Ports of call were Sydney, Brisbane, Suva, Honolulu and Vancouver.  Replaced by MAHENO in 1906 and returned to Tasman trade but still made one Sydney-Vancouver trip each of the next four years when the regular ships were being dry-docked. MOANA, MAITAI, AORANGI, MIOWERA, MAHENO, MARAMA and MAKURA all served on the route at different times prior to WW1.]

MAPLEBANK / HARMON JUDSON / SAMWASH / AFRICAN LORD 1943
Completed in Sep.1943 by Permanente Metals Corp., Richmond, California as the Liberty ship HARMON JUDSON, she was transferred on lease lend to Britain, renamed SAMWASH and came under the Ministry of War Transport (managed by Andrew Weir & Co, London). Sold to Andrew Weir & Co (Bank Line) in Apr.1947 and renamed MAPLEBANK. 1957 sold to West Africa Navigation Ltd - Liberian flag and renamed AFRICAN LORD. 11.4.62 severely damaged in collision with s/s SEA MASTER at entrance to New Waterway. 1969 Scrapped Taiwan. [Liberty Ships in Peacetime by I.G.Stewart]

MARATHON 1860
The MARATHON was a 1,784 gross ton ship, length 276ft x beam 36.6ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts (rigged for sail), iron hull, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. There was accommodation for 70-1st and 850-3rd class passengers. Built by Robert Napier & Sons, Glasgow, she was launched for the Cunard Steamship Company's Mediterranean service in 1860. Her fiest Liverpool - New York voyage started on 8th Jan.1861, but after this voyage she returned to Mediterranean sailings. She started another Liverpool - New York sailing on 12th Jul.1864 and in Oct.1865 commenced Liverpool - Boston - New York voyages. Her fifth and last sailing on this service started on 3rd Jul.1866 and on 24th Apr.1869 she resumed Liverpool - New York sailings. She made six round voyages on this route, the last starting on 3rd May 1870 and in 1873 was rebuilt to 2,403 gross tons, lengthened to 336.4ft, fitted with a third mast and new engines. On 4th Sep.1873 she started Liverpool - Boston direct sailings and continued this service until starting her last voyage on 6th Aug.1884. She was subsequently used on the Liverpool - Mediterranean service except for making a Liverpool - Boston sailing on 8th Sep.1892. In 1898 she was scrapped at Genoa. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1, p.146]

MARATHON / ORUBA 1903
This was the Aberdeen Line ship MARATHON. Built by Alexander Stephen & Sons, Glasgow in 1903, she was a 6,793 gross ton ship, length 138,43m x beam 16,79m (454.2ft x 55.1ft), clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. The MARATHON and her sister ship MILTIADES were the last two ships of any size to be built with a clipper stem and figurehead. Launched on 18th November 1903, she made her maiden voyage from London for Cape Town, Melbourne and Sydney on 27th January 1904. In 1912 was lengthened to 153,57m (504.1ft), and given a second (dummy) funnel, 7,848 gross tons and accommodation for 90-1st and 150-3rd class passengers. In 1915 she became a troop transport and started her only post war commercial sailing on 21st October 1920 when she left London for Cape Town, Sydney and Brisbane. In 1921 she was sold to Pacific Steam Navigation Co, renamed ORUBA and commenced her first Liverpool to Rio de Janeiro, Montevideo, Valparaiso, Panama Canal and Liverpool voyage on 26th May 1921. She started her second and last voyage on this service on 6th October 1921 and was then laid up at Liverpool. In 1924 she was laid up at Dartmouth and was scrapped in Germany the same year. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber] [South Atlantic seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

MARGLEN 1922 / SCOTIAN 1910 see STATENDAM 1898

MARIENFELS / DIU 1901
5,683 gross tons, 1901 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg for the Hansa Line, Bremen. 1914 interned at Mormugao, 1916 seized by Portugal and renamed DIU. 14th Oct.1917 torpedoed and sunk in the Bristol Channel.

MARIETTE-PACHA 1925
The MARIETTE-PACHA was a French passenger liner built in 1925 by La Ciotat for Messageries Maritimes Marseilles - Alexandria service. She was 12,263 gross tons. length 495ft x beam 62.7ft, three funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 15 knots, with accommodation for 188-1st, 133-2nd and 128-3rd class passengers and 500 troops.
In 1939 she started her first voyage as a troopship carrying French troops to Beirut but collided with the CLEMENCEAU off Lampedusa Island causing 11 deaths and many injured and had to disembark her troops at Malta and return to Marseilles. In July 1940 she was laid up at Marseilles and in 1941 was used to repatriate Levantine troops to Beirut. At this time she was under Vichy French control. 1942 Laid up at Sete and later moored at Port le Bouc. On 24th July 1944 the crew were ordered to take the ship to Marseilles but refused and the Germans moved her themselves into the Wilson Basin. On 24th Aug. when ordered to evacuate the ship, the crew exploded two bombs which split the ship in two. She was raised and scrapped in 1946.

MARINA / MARIA / PARAGUAY / TERRERO 1870
1,329 gross tons, length 241.1ft x beam 32.4ft (74.49m x 9.87m), one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 9½ knots. Built 1870 by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow as the MARINA for Donaldson Line, Glasgow and used by them on their Clyde - South America service. In 1873 she was sold to the Brazil S.S. Co. (Alexander & Radcliffe), Liverpool. 1881 sold to Rocco Piaggio & Figli, Genoa renamed MARIA (Genoa - River Plate service). 1885 transferred to Navigazione Generale Italiana renamed PARAGUAY (same service). 1910 transferred to Societa Anonima Nazionale di Servizi Maritimi. 1921 owned by G. Randazzo, Palermo (Italy - South America service) renamed TERRERO. 1928 owned by Angelo Berterello, Genoa. 1929 scrapped at Genoa.

MARINA 1900
MARINA 1900 O.N.111291, 5,204 gross tons, length 400ft x beam 52ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 12 knots, accommodatiion for 13-1st class passengers. Launched on 28th May 1900 by Furness Withy & Co., Ltd, West Hartlepool for Donaldson Brothers, Glasgow, she left Glasgow on 27th Oct.1900 on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal. In Nov.1908 she was chartered to the Phoenix Line and made 16 round voyages between Antwerp and New York. On 28th Oct.1916 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.55 thirty miles west of Fastnet Rock, Ireland while on voyage Glasgow to Baltimore. 18 lives lost. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3,p.1013 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Donaldson Line by P. J. Telford contains photo]

MARINE CARDINAL / BALTIMORE / SAN PEDRO 1945
The MARINE CARDINAL was a 12,420 gross ton ship, length 523ft x beam 71.2ft, one funnel, engines aft, speed 17 knots. Built to accommodate 3,800 troops. Built by Kaiser, Vancouver, Wash. and launched in Apr.1945, she started her maiden voyage on 27th Sep.1945 for the Transport Service under the management of American President Lines. Laid up at the end of the 1940's, she was sold to Sea Land Services Inc., Wilmington, Del in 1967 and renamed BALTIMORE. Rebuilt as a 11,389 ton container ship by Maryland SB & DD Co., she was used on commercial service until 1970 when she was renamed SAN PEDRO, rebuilt to 18,420 gross tons and lengthened to 684ft by Todd Shipyard, San Pedro. In 1974 she was sold to Reynolds Leasing Co., Wilmington, Del, and in Feb.1985 went to shipbreakers in Taiwan.[Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vols.4/6]

MARINE FALCON / TRENTON / BORINQUEN 1945
12,420 gross tons, length 523ft x beam 71.2ft. one funnel (engines aft), two masts, single screw, speed 17 knots, accommodation for 3,800 troops. She was one of a class of 15 C4-S-A3 transports built by Kaiser Shipyard, Vancouver, Wash.and was launched for the US Maritime Commission on 27th Apr.1945. In Apr.1947 she was chartered to the United States Lines for the New York - Southampton - Le Havre service with accommodation for 930-tourist class passengers. Returned to the US Maritime Commission in 1948 and laid up. 1966 Sold to Litton Industries Leasing Corp., Wilmington and rebuilt by Ingalls at Pascagoula as a 17,189 gross ton container ship and renamed TRENTON. In 1975 she was renamed BORINQUEN and in 1977 was owned by the Puerto Rico Maritime Shipping Authority, San Juan, PR. 1989 scrapped at Beihei. [Great Passenger Ships of the World, vols 4 & 6 by Arnold Kludas]

MARINE FLASHER / LONG BEACH 1945
This was the MARINE FLASHER. One of a class of 15 ships designated C4-S-A3, 12,420 gross tons, length 523ft x beam 71.2ft, one funnel. engines aft, single screw, speed 17 knots. Accommodation for 3,800 troops. Built by Kaiser Shipyard, Vancouver, Wash, she was launched for the US Maritime Commission 16th May.1945. Chartered to the United States Lines in 1946 and fitted with accommodation for 914 tourist class passengers, she started her first New York - Havre voyage on 25th May.1946. In Sep.1949 she was returned to the USMC and laid up until 1966 when she was sold to Litton Industries Leasing Corp, Wilmington, Del and rebuilt as the container ship LONG BEACH, 17,814 gross tons, length 684ft x beam 78.1ft. 1975 sold to Reynolds Leasing Corp. In 1988 she grounded at San Juan becoming a constructive total loss. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.4]

MARINE MARLIN / GREEN BAY 1945
12,410 gross tons, 523ft x 71.7ft, engines aft. Built 1945 by Kaiser Co., Vancouver, Wash. as a troop transport with capacity for 3,485 troops for operation by the War Shipping Agency. 1946 chartered to the United States Lines and fitted to carry 926 tourist class passengers. Started her first New York - Bremen voyage on 16th Sep.1946 and commenced her last Bremen - New York crossing in Jul.1949. 1952 intended for transfer to U.S. Navy as a transport but not acquired. 1965 converted to a dry cargo ship and renamed GREEN BAY. 17th Aug.1971 sank in Qui Nonh harbour after underwater explosion caused by Vietcong frogmen while discharging military supplies. 1st Sep.1971 refloated and towed to Hong Kong where she was scrapped in 1972.

MARINE PHOENIX / MOHAWK 1945
Launched 9th Aug.1945 by Kaiser Shipyard, Vancouver, Wash. 12,420 gross tons, length 523ft x beam 71.2ft, one funnel, engines aft, single screw, speed 17 knots. Accommodation for 3,800 troops. Managed by Moore-McCormack Line for the US Maritime Commission, her maiden voyage started 12th Dec.1945 when she left Seattle for Nagoya, Japan. 1947 laid up in Suisun Bay, San Francisco. 21st Jul.1950 commissioned by the US Navy (T-AP 195) after the outbreak of the Korean War. Nov.1958 laid up in Columbia River. Apr.1967 sold to Mohawk Shipping Inc., New York and rebuilt as a 10,625 gross ton cargo ship at Jacksonville and renamed MOHAWK. 16th Sep.1979 arrived Kaohsiung, Taiwan for scrapping. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vols.4 & 6]

MARINE SHARK / CHARLESTON 1945
12,558 gross tons, length 523ft x beam 71.7ft, engines aft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 16 knots, accommodation for 930-tourist class passengers. Launched 1945 by Kaiser Co., Vancouver, Wash. for the U.S. Maritime Commission, she made her maiden voyage as a transport under the management of American President Lines. She was then chartered to American Export Line and on 2nd May 1946 started her first voyage from New York to Naples. May 1948 chartered to United States Lines and sailed New York - Bremen. On 9th Dec.1948 she started her 15th and last New York - Naples - New York voyage (arr.2nd Jan.1949). On 6th Sep.1949 commenced 11th and last New York - Cobh - Southampton - Havre - New York voyage (arr.27th Sep.). 1949 returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission and laid up until 1967 when she was sold to Litton Industries Leasing Corp., Wilmington, Del., rebuilt as a container ship and renamed CHARLESTON. 1984 laid up and 1986 sold to N.Y. shipbreakers. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.4 by N.R.P.Bonsor] [Great Passenger Ships of the World, vols.4 & 6 by A. Kludas]

MARINE TIGER / OAKLAND 1945
The MARINE TIGER was one of a class of C4 ships of 12,420 gross ton ship, built by Kaiser Shipyard, Vancouver, Wash. in 1945. Her details were - length 523ft x beam 71.2ft, one funnel (engines situated aft), two masts, single screw, speed 17 knots and accommodation for 3,800 troops. Launched on 23rd Mar.1945, she was completed in July and managed by Matson Nav. Co for the Transport Service. On June 24th 1947 she commenced her first New York - Le Havre voyage under charter to United States Lines with accommodation for 850 tourist class passengers. Her last voyage on this service commenced 18th Aug.1949 when she left New York for Southampton, Hamburg and New York (arr.9th Sep.). She was then returned to the US Maritime Commission and laid up until 1966. Sold to Litton Industries Leasing Corp., Wilmington, Delaware she was rebuilt as a 17,184 gross ton container ship with a length of 684ft, and renamed OAKLAND. She was still in service in 1986. [Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vols. 4 & 6] [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1555]

MARIPOSA / RUTHENIA 1891
The MARIPOSA, built by Sir W. G. Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, Walker-on-Tyne (engines by R & W. Hawthorn, Leslie & Co, Newcastle) in 1891 as the "Ruthenia" for City of Liverpool Steam Nav. Co. She was a 5,305 gross ton ship, length 421ft x beam 48ft, straight stem, one funnel, three masts, twin screw and a speed of 12 knots. Launched on 20th June 1891, she was acquired by Ocean Transport (a subsidiary of Harland & Wolff, and managed by Elder Dempster) in Nov.1892 and renamed "Mariposa". Chartered to Atlantic Transport Line, she started her first London - New York voyage on 13th Nov.1892. Her fourth and last sailing on this service started 17th Mar.1893 and in July 1893 she made her first Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyage for the African SS Co (Elder Dempster). On 7th Sep.1894 she commenced the same service under charter to the Dominion Line and on 27th Sep.1895 was wrecked in the St Lawrence River with no loss of life. (She had been sold, but not yet handed over to the Union Line, which later became part of Union-Castle Mail SS Co, and who intended to rename her GASCON) [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1212]

MARIPOSA / HOMERIC 1931
18,563 gross tons, length 604ft x beam 79.3ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw, speed 22 knots, accommodation for 147-1st and 1,096-tourist class passengers.
Built 1931 by Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corp, Quincy, Mass. as the MARIPOSA for Matson Line, she started her maiden voyage on 2nd Feb.1932 from San Francisco to Honolulu and Sydney. In 1941 she became a U.S. Navy troopship and from 1947 to 1953 she was 'mothballed' in the U.S. Reserve fleet. Nov.1953 sold to Home Lines, renamed HOMERIC and reconditioned, she started her first voyage on 24th Jan.1955 between Venice, Bari, Palermo, Naples, Genoa, Halifax and New York. She then made four cruises between New York and the West Indies. 23rd Apr.1955 first voyage Quebec - Havre - Southampton. 12th Aug.1957 first voyage Havre - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal. 8th Sep.1960 first voyage Cuxhaven - Havre - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal. 5th Oct.1963 last voyage Montreal - Quebec - Southampton - Cuxhaven - Bremen. Dec.1963 last voyage Piraus - Naples - New York. 1964 onward - cruising from USA with one annual voyage USA - Italy - USA for reconditioning. 1st Jul.1973 extensive fire damage while cruising about 90 mileseast of Cape May and sent to Genoa for repairs but laid up. 11th Dec.1973 sailed from Genoa for Kauhsiung, Taiwan where she was scrapped.

MARK / MARKGRAF 1894
3,756 gross tons, length 364ft x beam 43.5ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 100-1st and 760-3rd class passengers. Built by Armstrong, Mitchell & Co, Walker-on-Tyne (engines by Wigham Richardson & Co, Walker-on-Tyne), she was launched for North German Lloyd, Bremen on 28th Sep.1893. Her maiden voyage started 11th Jan.1894 when she left Bremen for Montevideo and Buenos Aires. Sold to Woermann Line on 15th Jul.1902, she was transferred to the German East Africa Line, renamed MARKGRAF and used for the Germany - round Africa service. She was also used for the Bombay - Mecca pilgrimage trade. At the outbreak of war in 1914 she took refuge in Tanga and on 15th Aug.1915 was shelled there by HMS HYACINTH, HMS SEVERN and HMS MERSEY. She ran aground and the wreck still lay there on it's side after WWII. [Norddeutscher Lloyd, Bremen by Edwin Drechsel, ISBN 1-895590-08-6 contains photos] [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor]

MARLBOROUGH 1876
1191 gross tons, length 69.46m x beam 7.62m, three masted full rigged ship, iron hull, two decks, refrigerated cargo space and a crew of 30. Built in 1876 by Robert Duncan, Port Glasgow for J. Galbraith who was one of the Walter Savill partners (Shaw, Savill Line). In 1880 she came under the ownership of John Leslie and took the record from Port Chalmers to London docks in 69 days 12 hours. In Nov.1890 she left Lyttelton and went missing off Cape Horn with a cargo of meat. She was last reported on Jan.20th 1891. Several icebergs were seen in the area at the time and it is surmised that she struck one. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.10, Shaw, Savill & Albion Line]

MARQUETTE / BOADICEA 1897
The MARQUETTE was a 7,057 gross ton ship, length 486.5ft x beam 52.3ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 120-1st class passengers. Built in 1897 by A.Stephen & Sons Ltd, Glasgow as the BOADICEA for Wilson's and Furness-Leyland Line, she was launched on 25th Nov.1897. She sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to New York and London on 15th Jan.1898 and started London - New York sailings on 18th Feb.1898. Her last voyage on this service started 7th Jul.1898 and she was then sold to the Atlantic Transport Line and made a single round voyage between London and New York for these owners. On 15th Sep.1898 she was renamed MARQUETTE and resumed London - New York sailings. Her last voyage on this route started 24th Mar.1904 and in Sep.1905 she started Antwerp - Philadelphia voyages under charter to the Red Star Line with accommodation for 120-2nd class passengers. In Aug.1914 she made her last Antwerp - Boston - Philadelphia voyage and on 3rd Oct.1914 resumed London - New York sailings for the Atlantic Transport Line. Her third and last voyage on this route started on 30th Dec.1914 and she was then employed as a British war transport. On 23rd Oct.1915 she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine U.35 in the Aegean Sea with the loss of 29 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1090]

MARSALA 1882
The MARSALA was built by A.Stephen & Son, Glasgow in 1882 for Sloman of Hamburg. She was a 2,397 gross ton ship, length 320.2ft x beam 36.2ft, one funnel, three masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was accommodation for 600-3rd class passengers. Launched on 3/5/1882, she was used on the Australia service until 1886 when the Union Line was formed and she commenced sailing for this new company. She started her first voyage from Hamburg for New York on 2/9/1886 and continued on this service until her last voyage commenced on 7/10/1897. In 1911 she was sold to Italian owners and on 2/7/1913 was sunk in collision with the Italian vessel CAMPIDANO off Gianutis. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3, p.1166]

MARSDIN / LIVORNO 1870
1,367 gross tons, length 240ft x beam 34.3ft, iron hull, single screw. Launched on 19th Feb.1870 by Humphreys & Pearson, Hull as the MARSDIN for Brownlow, Lumsden & Co, Hull, and the owners became Brownlow, Marsdin & Co the same year. 1875 lengthened to 258ft and re-engined. 1878 Sold to Thos.Wilson, Sons & Co and used on the Scandinavia / Baltic to UK service. 1889 renamed LIVORNO. 1901 Sold to Sambur SS Co, Liverpool. 1st Jun.1907 stranded at Volsorarna, Gulf of Bothnia, refloated but declared a constructive total loss and scrapped at Wasa.[Wilson Line by John Harrower]

MARTABAN / OLBIA 1873
2,671 gross tons, length 411ft x beam 46.1ft, clipper bows, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 11 knots. Built with accommodation for 30-1st and 24-2nd class passengers by W. Denny & Bros, Dumbarton as the MARTABAN for the British & Burmese Steam Navigation Co. 1893 sold to Fabre Line, Marseille renamed OLBIA and rebuilt to accommodate 1,000 emigrants. In Aug.1893 she inaugurated the Rouen - La Pallice - Quebec - Montreal service. Feb.1895 inaugurated the company's South American service. 1901 served on France to New York and New Orleans routes. 1906 scrapped at Livorno. [The Burma Boats by Duncan Haws] [North Atlantic Seaway, vol.3 by N.R.P. Bonsor]

MARTHA / METSCHTA / MURAT 1884
2,107 gross tons, length 286.4ft x beam 36ft, one funnel, two masts, steel hull, single screw and a speed of 12 knots. Accommodation for 25-1st and 600-3rd class passengers. Built by G. Howaldt, Kiel, she was launched for Stettiner Lloyd in April 1884. Her maiden voyage started 12th Jul.1884 when she left Stettin for Swansea and New York. Her ninth and last voyage from Stettin to Gothenburg and New York started 17th Apr.1886 (arr. NY 19th May) and she was then sold to other German owners. In 1905 she was sold to Russia and renamed METSCHTA and in 1924 became the French owned MURAT. She was scrapped in 1926. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1056]

MARTHA WASHINGTON / TEL AVIV 1907
The MARTHA WASHINGTON was built by Russell & Co, Port Glasgow (engines by Rankin & Blackmore, Greenock) in 1907 for the Austrian company, Unione Austriaca. She was a 8,145 gross ton ship, length 460ft x beam 56ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 60-1st, 130-2nd and 2,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 7/12/1907, she sailed from Glasgow on her maiden voyage to New York in ballast on 16/4/1908. On 23/5/1908 she commenced her first passenger voyage from Trieste to Patras, Palermo and New York and on 18/7/1914 commenced her last voyage on this service, arriving in New York on 1st August. She then took refuge in New York and in April 1917 she was seized by the US authorities. In 1922 she went to Cosulich Line of Italy and started her first sailing from New York to Algiers, Venice and Trieste on 15/12/1922, and on 27/6/1923 commenced her first voyage from Trieste to Naples, Algiers and New York. She made her last Trieste - Naples - Boston - new York crossing in September 1927 and subsequently ran to South America. In 1933 she want to Lloyd Triestino and was renamed TEL AVIV, and in 1934 was scrapped at Trieste. [North Atlantic Seaway bu N.R.P.BONSOR, Vol.3,p.1331]

MASIRAH / EURYSTHENES 1957
8,733 gross tons, length 497ft x beam 63.4ft, one funnel, one mast, single screw. Built 1957 by Wm. Hamilton & Co, Port Glasgow for Thos. & Jno. Brocklebank. Used on the UK - India service. 1968 following the closure of the Suez Canal, Cunard-Brocklebank was formed and MASIRAH was transferred to this company and sailed where required. June 1971 laid up in the River Fal. Mar.1972 out of lay-up and sold to Marchessini Group's Cia. Maritima San Basilio S.A., Greece renamed EURYSTHENES. 25th Apr.1974 en route Hamburg - Yokohama she grounded in the San Bernadino Strait, Philippines. May 21st refloated and towed to Manila where she was surveyed and found uneconomical to repair and scrapped at Taiwan.

MASSACHUSETTS 1892
5,673 gross tons, length 445ft x beam 49.2ft, one funnel, four masts, single screw, speed 13 knots, accommodation for 80-1st class passengers. Launched 17th Dec.1891 by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the Atlantic Transport Line, she sailed on her maiden voyage on 24th Apr.1892 from London for New York. Last voyage on this route 30th Jun.1898. She then became the U.S. Army Transport SHERIDAN. On 31st Aug.1906 she stranded on Barber's Point, Hawaii, but was refloated on 2nd Oct. 1923 scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway vol.3, p.1088 contains photo of the ship.]

MASSILIA 1890
Built by Gourlay Bros & Co, Dundee in 1890 for the Fabre Line of Marseilles, she was a 2,965 gross ton vessel, length 340ft x beam 41.2ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. She had accommodation for 1st and 1,250-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10/1/1891, she sailed on her maiden voyage from Marseilles to Naples and New York on 1/5/1891. On 20/10/1906 she transferred from the French to the Italian flag and sailed between Marseilles - Almeria - New York. On 10/10/1908 she reverted to the French flag but stayed on the same route. On 14/12/1910 she commenced her last voyage from Marseilles to Denia, Almeria, New York and return and in July 1907 was sold and scrapped in Italy. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1133]

MATATUA / ILSENSTEIN 1904
The Shaw Savill Line's MATATUA was a 6,488 gross ton cargo liner, built in 1904 by Workman Clark, Belfast. Her details were - length 448ft x beam 56.4ft, and she was reputed to have the tallest funnel in the world at the time. There was accommodation for 6-1st and 200-steerage class passengers. In 1916 she had a serious fire on board while in Canadian waters and the master was killed. Sold to Arnold Bernstein of Hamburg in 1928 and renamed ILSENSTEIN; used on the Havre and later Antwerp to New York service. She sailed to Blyth for scrapping in 1939 but was later towed to Scapa Flow and was sunk there as a blockship in 1940. Demolished on site in 1951. [The Shaw Savill Line by Richard P.de Kerbrech][North Star to Southern Cross by John M.Maber][North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.4,p.1633]

MATAURA 1866
The MATAURA was a clipper bowed, 1,786 gross ton, iron hulled vessel with a speed of 10 knots, built 1866 by Millwall Ship & Graving Co.. She had accommodation for some 100-1st and 60-2nd class passengers. The Panama, New Zealand & Australia Royal Mail Co. was formed in 1866 to operate monthly sailings in each direction between Sydney, Wellington and Panama with four ships. These connected to the Panama Railroad which had been opened in 1855. Passengers would travel from the UK to Panama (probably by Royal Mail Steam Packet Co. ships). The MATAURA left London on her delivery voyage for Sydney via the Cape on 9th Jul.1866 and arrived in time to take the September sailing to Wellington and Panama. These ships required 30 tons of coal per day to run, and an intermediate coaling port at the French island of Rapa was established which was replenished by sailing ships. However, the service never proved to be profitable and the company was in financial difficulties by the end of 1868 and withdrew from the route. The four ships had been mortgaged to the Royal Mail S.P. Co. and were eventually transferred to that company. Three of them were renamed, but the MATAURA was later sold to Midhat Pasha, the Ottoman governor of Mesopotamia for the Ottoman Ocean Administration, Baghdad, armed and renamed BABIL (Babylon), and was critical to consolidating Ottoman rule over Hasa, the eastern coast of what is now Saudi Arabia. She was grounded and lost while transporting war equipment during the Balkan Was in 1912 in the Sea of Marmara and was broken up between 1913-20. [North Star to Southern Cross by John M. Maber] [Pacific Steamers by Will Lawson] [final fate in email from John . . .]

MATOAKA 1853
The MATOAKA was a 1,323 gross ton, 3-masted, full rigged ship, 195.7ft x 37.9ft, wooden hull. Built 1853 by John Craig, Oromocto, New Brunswick for Willis, Gann & Co., London for their New Zealand trade. Her fastest passage Bristol - Lyttelton was 83 days. 1867 purchased by Shaw Savill Line. 13th May 1869 left Lyttelton and went missing.

MAURETANIA 1906
The MAURETANIA was built by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson, Wallsend-on-Tyne (engines by Wallsend Slipway Co) in 1906 for the Cunard Line. She was a 31,938 gross ton ship, overall length 790ft x beam 88ft, four funnels, two masts, four screws and a service speed of 25 knots. There was accommodation for 563-1st, 464-2nd and 1,138-3rd class passengers. Launched on 20th Sep.1906, she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Queenstown (Cobh) and New York on 16th Nov.1907. Between 1907 and 1924 she broke several transatlantic records, her shortest crossing being 4days,10hrs,51mins from Queenstown to Ambrose Light in Sep.1909 at a speed of 26.06 knots. She started her last pre-war Liverpool - New York voyage on 10th Oct.1914 and was converted to a troopship, hospital ship and then back to a troopship between 1915 and 1919. She made her first Liverpool - New York voyage after the Armistice on 25th Nov.1918 (still as a troopship) and after being refitted as a passenger liner, she commenced Southampton - Halifax - New York voyages on 28th Jun.1919. Damaged by fire at Southampton on 25th Jul.1921, she was rebuilt to 30,696 tons, converted from coal to oil fuel, and refitted to carry 589-1st, 400-2nd and 767-3rd class passengers. She resumed Southampton - Cherbourg - New York sailings on 25th Mar.1922 and in April 1931 was refitted to carry 1st, tourist and 3rd class passengers. She commenced her last Southampton - Cherbourg - New York voyage on 30th Jun.1934 and then carried out five cruises from New York. Her last New York - Southampton crossing started on 26th Sep.1934, and on 1st Jul.1935 she left Southampton for Rosyth, where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, vol.1, p.157]

MAURETANIA 1938
The MAURETANIA was a 35,738 gross ton ship, length overall 771.8ft x beam 89.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 23 knots. There was accommodation for 486-cabin, 390-tourist and 502-3rd class passengers. Built by Cammell Laird & Co, Birkenhead, she was launched for Cunard-White Star Line on 28th Jul.1938. On 17th Jun.1939 she left Liverpool on her maiden voyage to New York and her first New York - Cherbourg - Southampton crossing started on 1st Jul.1939. In Aug.1939 she was the largest liner ever to visit London and sailed London - Southampton - New York on 12th Aug.1939. On 26th Aug.1939 she sailed from New York for Cobh and Southampton, 14th Sep.1939 she left Southampton for New York and Liverpool and on 19th Dec.1939 she sailed from Liverpool for New York where she was laid up. She left New York on 20th Mar.1940, in company with the QUEEN MARY for Panama and Sydney where she was converted into a troopship and transported ANZAC troops to Britain. She made trooping voyages to Suez after which she returned to the Australia - Suez transport run. Later used to transport American troops to Europe. Returned to her owners in 1946 she left Liverpool on 19th Aug.1946 on a single round voyage to Halifax and was then reconditioned by her builders to carry 475-1st, 390-cabin and 300-tourist class passengers. On 26th Apr.1947 she left Liverpool for New York and on 10th Jun.1947 resumed Southampton Cherbourg - New York sailings. Fitted throughout with air conditioning in Autumn 1957 and started Southampton - Havre - New York sailings on 6th May 1959. In 1962 she was painted in three shades of green and refitted to carry 406-1st, 364-cabin and 357-tourist class passengers. Her first New York - Cannes - Genoa - Naples sailing started on 28th Mar.1963 and her last New York - Naples - New York voyage commenced 11th Sep.1963. On 4th Aug.1965 she commenced her last Southampton - New York voyage and subsequently made a New York - Mediterranean - Southampton cruise. She arrived in the Firth of Forth on 23rd Nov.1965 for scrapping at Inverkeithing.[North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.169]

MEDIATOR 1872
O.N.65961, iron steamship rigged as two masted schooner, three decks and three holds, length 300.3ft x beam 34.7ft x depth 25.2ft, 2,011 gross tons, speed 11 knots. Launched on 8th May 1872 by R & J. Evans & Co., Liverpool (Yard No.48) as the DAHLIA for Hargrove, Ferguson & Co., Liverpool. 17th Aug.1876 purchased by T & J. Harrison, Liverpool renamed MEDIATOR. 18th Aug.1883 returned to Liverpool following a collision with the Norwegian barque AGAT off Tuskar Rock. 23rd Aug.1883 sailed again after repairs. 5th Jul.1884 run down and sunk while berthed in Willemstad Harbour by the German steamer THURINGIA having arrived from Liverpool with general cargo. [Harrisons of Liverpool by Graeme Cubbin]

MEDOC 1884
2,194 gross tons, length 328ft x beam 45.3ft (100m x 13.79m), one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), single screw, speed 12 knots. Principally a cargo ship, but accommodation for 12 passengers. Built 1884 by Forges et Chantiers de la Mediteranee, La Seyne for Messageries Maritimes, Marseilles who operated a Bordeaux - Brazil - River Plate service. In 1900 she was used as a military transport to China during the Boxer Rebellion and in 1902 transferred to the Indo China route. On 18th Dec.1902 while outward bound to the Far East, she was holed in collision with the ram bow of the French cruiser, LATOUCHE TRAVILLE off Toulon, beached and taken out of service for repairs. Destroyed by fire on 5th Oct.1914 in the Royal Albert Dock, London.[Merchant Fleets, vol.36 by Duncan Haws]

MEDWAY 1865
The MEDWAY was built by T.R.Oswald & Co, Sunderland in 1865. She was an 1,823 gross ton vessel, length 285.2ft x beam 35.4ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts, iron construction, single screw and a speed of 10 knots. Launched in March 1865, she was chartered to Hiller & Strauss in 1867 and commenced her first voyage for them in April 1867, from Antwerp to New York. She made three round voyages for them on this service, the last starting on 9/9/1867. On 29/7/1869 she commenced her first voyage for the Temperley Line from London to Quebec and Montreal. On 6/9/1873 she was wrecked in the Straits of Belle Isle. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.671]

MEGANTIC 1908
The MEGANTIC was built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast in 1908. Originally laid down as the ALBANY for the Dominion Line, she was purchased on the stocks by White Star Line and launched as the MEGANTIC. This was a 14,878 gross ton ship, length 550.4ft x beam 67.3ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots. There was accommodation for 230-1st, 430-2nd and 1,000-3rd class passengers. Launched on 10th Dec.1908, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to Quebec and Montreal on 17th Jun.1909. On 30th Nov.1914 she started her first Liverpool - New York voyage and commenced her last sailing on this route on 21st Apr.1915. On 6th Apr.1917 she came under the liner requisition scheme and was used for government wartime services. In April 1918 she resumed Liverpool - New York sailings and started her last voyage on this service on 1st Apr.1919. Refitted to accommodate 325-1st, 260-2nd and 550-3rd class passengers, she resumed Liverpool - Quebec - Montreal voyages in May 1919. On 9th Jan.1920 she sailed Liverpool - Sydney for the British government and in May 1924 she became cabin and 3rd class only. She made one voyage to China as a troop transport in 1927 and in March 1928 became cabin, tourist and 3rd class. On 22nd Mar.1928 she sailed London - Havre - Southampton - Halifax - New York and on 19th Apr.1928 commenced her first London - Havre - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal voyage. Her last voyage on this service started on 16th May 1931 and she was then laid up at Rothesay, Scotland. In Feb.1933 she sailed to Osaka, Japan where she was scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.2,p.764][Great Passenger Ships of the World by Arnold Kludas, vol.1]

MELITA 1853
The MELITA was a 1,254 gross ton ship, built for Cunard in 1853 by Alexander Denny, Dumbarton (engines by Macnab & Clark, Greenock). Her details were - length 233ft x beam 29ft, clipper stem, one funnel, two masts(rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 9 knots. Launched on 27th Mar.1853, she was used on the Mediterranean service until 13th Jun.1860 when she sailed from Liverpool to Quebec and Montreal under charter to the Allan Line. After this single round voyage, she did a voyage for Cunard, leaving Liverpool on 5th Sep.1860 for Halifax and New York. In 1861 she was acquired by William Denny in part payment for the SIDON and in 1863 went to S & S.Isaac. On 2nd Jun.1866 she commenced sailings between Liverpool - Queenstown - Boston - Philadelphia on charter to the Warren Line. She started her last voyage on this service on 28th Jul.1868 and on 27th Aug.1868 sailed from Boston for Liverpool, but was destroyed by fire at sea on 5th September. All the passengers and crew were rescued by the sailing ships, JACOB A. STAMLER and MONEQUASH [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.1,p.145-6]

MELITA / LIGURIA 1918
13,967 gross tons, length 520ft x beam 67.2ft, two funnels, two masts, triple screw and a speed of 15 knots. Accommodation for 550-cabin and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Built by Barclay, Curle & Co Ltd, Glasgow (engines by Harland & Wolff, Belfast), she was laid down in 1913 for Hamburg America Line but was purchased on the stocks by Canadian Pacific Ocean Services Ltd and launched on 21st Apr.1917. Towed from Glasgow to Belfast for engining in June 1917, she commenced her maiden voyage on 25th Jan.1918 when she left Liverpool for St John NB. Her first of three Liverpool - New York voyages started on 20th Aug.1918 and in Nov.1919 she made a single round voyage for the British Government between Glasgow and Bombay. Overhauled at Antwerp in Dec.1920, she commenced her first Antwerp - Southampton - Quebec - Montreal sailing on 10th May 1922. In 1925 she was refitted to 15,183 gross tons by Palmers Co Ltd, Jarrow and in Jun.1926 fitted with accommodation for 206-cabin, 546-tourist and 588-3rd class passengers. On 16th Mar.1927 she started her last Antwerp - Southampton - St John NB voyage and on 15th Apr.1927 started her first Glasgow - Belfast - Quebec - Montreal sailing. Her last Liverpool - Belfast - Greenock - Halifax - St John NB voyage commenced on 18th Mar.1932 and she made a total of 146 round voyages on the North Atlantic. Used on cruises until Sep.1934 and sold in Apr.1935 when she was towed to Genoa for scrapping but was bought by Italia Line, renamed LIGURIA and used as a military transport. In Jul.1940 she was damaged by an air attack on Tobruk and on 22nd Jan.1941 was scuttled in Tobruk roads. Later raised and seized by the British, she was towed to Savona in Aug.1950 and scrapped. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1314]

MELLIFONT 1903
1,204 gross ton passenger ship, 260ft x 35.7ft, speed 17 knots. Built 1903 by Vickers, Sons & Maxim Ltd, Barrow for Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co., Drogheda. Used on Liverpool - Drogheda passenger service. 1906 transferred to Hull - Zeebrugge and Antwerp services. 1912 returned to Liverpool service.1914 reduced to cargo only. 1922 owned by London & North Western Railway Co. 1923 Owners became London. Midland & Scottish Railway. 1928 Taken over by British & Irish Steam Packet Co, 1933 scrapped.at Barrow.

MELROSE 1878
The MELROSE was a Castle Line coaster used on South African coastal services. Details - 839 gross tons, length 230ft x beam 29.1ft, iron hull, single screw, speed 9 knots. Official No.76948. Built 1878 by Robert Steele & Co, Greenock for the Cape - Natal coastal service. Arrived Capetown on 23rd Jun.1878 but broke down on her first coastal voyage and had to be towed from Mossel Bay to Capetown by the TAYMOUTH CASTLE. Oct.1878 propeller shaft broke near East London. July 1883 soon after leaving Capetown for Port Elizabrth, James Carey, a Fenian travelling under an assumed name after turning Queen's evidence following the Phoenix Park murders was shot dead by in 2nd class by a fellow Fenian, Patrick O'Donnell..O. Donnell was later hanged. 9th Sep.1891 struck a reef on voyage Delagoa Bay to Inhambane, later repaired at Capetown. 1892 ownership transferred to James B. Smith, Liverpool and James Currie, Leith. 1894 sold to Samuel Hoegh, Liverpool for Liverpool - London service. 1897 renamed ANNIE HOEGH. 1902 sold to Bermond, Hector-Hee & Co., Bordeaux renamed EMYRNE. 1906 owned by Moinard & Rouxel, Bordeaux, later registration transferred to Diego Suarez, Madagascar. 10th May 1911 wrecked on Diego Island on voyage Diego Suarez to Majunga with cargo of salt. [Union-Castle Line by Peter Newall]

MEMLING 1915
7,307 gross tons, length 440.1ft x beam 56.2ft, one funnel, two masts, twin screw, speed 12.5 knots, accommodation for 12 passengers. Refrigerated holds. Distinctive by her 66ft tall funnel. Launched 17th Feb.1915 by A. MacMillan & Son, Dumbarton for the Lamport & Holt Line, she was used on the frozen meat trade from South America. On 3rd Oct.1917 she was torpedoed off Brest, but reached port with a broken back and one engine blown off it's bed. Declared a total loss and scrapped. [Merchant Fleets, vol.34 by Duncan Haws] There are photos of her identical sister ships MILLAIS, MURILLO, MOLIERE and MEISSONIER in "Lamport & Holt" by P. M. Heaton, ISBN 0-95077-146-5

MENES 1926
The MENES was a cargo vessel built in 1926 by Bremer Vulkan, Vegesack. She was a 5,609 gross ton ship, length 438.6ft x beam 55.4ft, one funnel, two masts, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. She was built for Deutsche Dampf Kosmos in 1924 and was taken over the same year by Hamburg America Line, together with the rest of the companies vessels. In 1940 she became a Mediterranean transport and on December 3rd 1942 was sunk off the coast of Libya while en route to Crete. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.4, Hamburg America Line]

MENIFEE 1944
APA-202, Displacement:  6,873 t., Length:  455', Beam:  62', Draft:  24', Speed:  17 k. Complement:  536, Armament:  1 5"; 12 40mm, Class:  HASKELL, Maritime Commission Standard Type:  VC2-S-AP5
MENIFEE (APA-202) was laid down as MCV-670 by the Kaiser Co., Vancouver, Wash., 21 July 1944; launched 15 October 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Lucien Garon; and commissioned 4 November 1944, Comdr. Paul P. Spaulding, USNR, in command. MENIFEE reported to ComPhibsTraPac for intensive amphibious training 8 December 1944 and within a month was underway for Hawaii with Navy and Marine personnel and cargo.  Unloading her initial cargo and passengers at Honolulu 15 January 1945, she departed for the South Pacific on the 27th.  On 5 February, she arrived at Guadalcanal for further training exercises in preparation for the Okinawa campaign. On 1 April, MENIFEE arrived in the transport area off Okinawa with cargo and units of the 6th Marine Division on board.  Remaining in the area through the 4th, she landed her troops during the first 2 days and discharged her cargo on the 3rd and 4th.  On the 5th, she got underway for the United States, arriving at San Francisco 11 May to take on Army personnel and cargo bound for the Philippines.  By 19 June, she had discharged her passengers and cargo at Leyte and was underway for a quick cargo run to Milne Bay, New Guinea.  Upon her return from the Netherlands East Indies, she headed back to California, arriving San Pedro 2 August. After the cessation of hostilities in the Pacific, MENIFEE continued ferrying occupation troops to Japan and war-weary veterans back to the United States.  Released from "Magic Carpet" duty in early 1946, she reported to the 19th Fleet 9 March and upon decommissioning 31 July, was berthed at Stockton.         With the outbreak of hostilities in Korea, MENIFEE was retrieved from the "mothball fleet" and recommissioned 2 December 1950.  Assigned once more to the Amphibious Force, Pacific Fleet, she completed two extended tours of duty in the western Pacific before inactivating a second time in 1955.  From April 1951 to March 1952, MENIFEE ferried troops between Japan and Korea and within Korean waters, insuring through her mobility, the distribution of U.N. forces according to need.  During her second WestPac deployment, August 1953 to April 1954, she took part in extensive amphibious training exercises with American and Korean Marines and served as flagship for Operation "Big Lift," the transfer of neutral Indian troops to the peace conference in Panmunjom.         On 29 June 1955, MENIFEE was placed out of commission in reserve, assigned to the San Francisco Group, Pacific Reserve Fleet.  She was struck from the Naval Register 1 October and transferred to the Maritime Commission.  Into 1969, she has been berthed at Suisun Bay in the National Defense Reserve Fleet.         MENIFEE received one battle star for World War II service and two for Korean service. Transcribed by Michael Hansen mhansen2@cox.net

MENOMINEE 1898 see ALEXANDRA 1897

MENTMORE  / ASSIDUITA 1882
3296 gross tons, length 339.6ft x beam 40.2ft (103.50m x 12.25m), one funnel, two masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots. Accommodation for 1,200-3rd class passengers. Built by J. Key & Sons, Kinghorn, she was launched on 19th Feb.1882 as the MENTMORE for the Johnston Line. In 1896 she was purchased by the Zino Line of Italy, renamed ASSIDUITA and started her first Genoa - River Plate voyage on 20th Jan.1896. She continued in this service until 1900 when she switched to the New Orleans - Italy cotton trade. On 16th Nov.1900 she caught fire in the North Atlantic and was abandoned, the crew being rescued by the British steamer LANARKSHIRE. [South Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P. Bonsor, p.326]

MERCATOR 1877
1,958 gross tons, length 280.9ft x beam 35.2ft, one funnel, three masts, iron hull, single screw, speed 10 knots. Launched in 1877 by A. Stephen & Sons, Glasgow for the Engels Line, Antwerp. She started her first Antwerp - New York voyage under charter to the White Cross Line on 3rd Mar.1878 and her first sailing on this route for the Engels Line on 12th May 1878. From 6th Jul.1879 she was used on the Engels / White Cross joint service and sailed from Antwerp on 4th Apr.1880 for New York but went missing with the loss of about 45 lives. [North Atlantic Seaway, vol,3,p.996 by N.R.P. Bonsor]

MERCURY 1896 see BARBAROSSA

MERIDA 1888 / VALLE
was a 3 masted, single funnelled ship and also rigged for sail. Placed on the Indian rice ports service with tramping out of season. Accommodation for officers and 12 passengers aft. Launched on 10th Feb.1888 for Henry Bucknall & Sons. 1890 transferred to Bucknall Nephews. March 1908 sold to Orbe y Gobeo, renamed VALLE. Owners restyled as Cia Cantabrica de Nav, Bilbao. 17th Jan.1917 torpedoed and sunk in Bay of Biscay by German submarine UC.18. [Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.16, Ellerman Lines]

MERION / TIGER 1901
The MERION was a 11,621 gross ton ship, length 530.5ft x beam 59.2ft, one funnel, four masts, twin screw and a speed of 14 knots. There was accommodation for 150-2nd and 1,700-3rd class passengers. Built by John Brown & Co Ltd, Glasgow, she was launched for the American Line on 26th Nov.1901. Chartered to the Dominion Line, she started her maiden voyage on 8th Mar.1902 when she left Liverpool for Boston. Her eleventh and last voyage on this service started on 5th Mar.1903 and she commenced her first sailing for the American Line in April 1903 between Liverpool and Philadelphia. On 30th Mar.1903 she was damaged in collision with the British ship CLAN GRANT off Tuskar Rock but was repaired. She started a single round voyage under charter to the Red Star Line on 16th Nov.1907 between Antwep and New York and on 31st Oct.1914 commenced her last Liverpool - Philadelphia sailing. Sold to the British Admiralty in 1914, she was disguised as the Battlecruiser HMS TIGER and on 30th May 1915 was torpedoed and sunk by the German Submarine UB.8 in the Aegean Sea. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.945-6]

MERIONETHSHIRE (1) 1878 / CARIBEE
was built in 1878 by London & Glasgow Shipbuilding Co. at Glasgow with a tonnage of 1817grt, a length of 301ft 5in, a beam of 34ft 4in and a service speed of 10 knots. Sistership of the Breckonshire she was delivered in April 1878.(Shire Line) In 1890 she was sold to the Quebec S.S. Co. of London and renamed Caribee for their UK-St Lawrence service with calls to the maritime provinces during the winter. She was sold on in 1907 to W.H.A. Walker of London without a change of name and based in New York for their Caribbean services. On 8th June 1908 during a voyage from Mantanzas to New York she foundered off the east coast of the USA and was one of 33 ships subsequently investigated by the Load Line Committee of Lloyds to see if her loss could have been attributed to the change of registered freeboards in 1906 which could have made her unsafe in storm conditions. She was cleared as her draught was within the limits set in 1906 as were the other 32 ships investigated.

MERKARA 1875
2,971 gross tons, length 368.2ft x beam 37.2ft (112,23m x 11,39m), one funnel, three masts (rigged for sail), iron construction, single screw and a speed of 11 knots. There was acommodation for 237 passengers. Built by Wm Denny & Bros, Dumbarton, she was launched on 7th Jul.1875 for British India Associated Steamers. On 12th Feb.1881 she started her first sailing on the London - Brisbane route and arrived at Moreton Bay on 13th April after calls at Cooktown, Townsville and Rockhampton. She started her last Australia voyage on 19th Oct.1896 and was then used on general duties. In 1901 she was broken up at Bombay after being stripped at Calcutta. It is recorded by the builders that she had pens for 1 cow, 10 sheep and a fowl coop for live produce consumption during the voyage.[Merchant Fleets by Duncan Haws, vol.11, British India S.N.Co]

METAGAMA 1914
The METAGAMA was built by Barclay Curle & Co Ltd, Glasgow in 1914 for Canadian Pacific Line. She was a 12,420 gross ton ship, length 500.4ft x beam 64.2ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 15 knots. There was accommodation for 520-cabin and 1,200-3rd class passengers. Launched on 19/11/1914, she sailed from Liverpool on her maiden voyage to St John, NB on 26/3/1915. She started her first voyage after the Armistice on 20/11/1918 when she left Liverpool for St John,NB. On 9/3/1922 she started Glasgow - St John,NB sailings and on 26/5/1923 collided with the British Hogarth Line steamer BARON VERNON in the Clyde. On 19/6/1924 she collided with the Italian ship CLARA CAMUS off Cape Race and on 1/3/1927 commenced Antwerp - Southampton - St John, NB sailings. In October 1927 she was converted to 1st, tourist and 3rd class accommodation and on 13/8/1930 commenced the last of 151 North Atlantic round voyages when she left Antwerp for Southampton, Quebec and Montreal. From 1931-1934 she was laid up at Southend and on 3/4/1934 was sold to P & W. McLennan Ltd and broken up at Bo'ness, Firth of Forth. [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.1311] [Canadian Pacific - 100 years by George Musk]

M Descriptions MAA to ME | MI to MU

 Return to Index | Return to The Fleets

TheShipsList

TheShipsList®™ - (Swiggum) All Rights Reserved - Copyright © 1997-2014
These pages may be freely linked to but not duplicated in any fashion without written consent of .
Last updated: February 07, 2009 and maintained by and M. Kohli